DebbieSue
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

Debbie
TX
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2010 :  9:58:51 PM  Show Profile
I have been picking cherries off my tress and I will be able to make a lot of cherry jelly to sell at the Farmer's Market this season, along with other things! What price would you gals suggest for a small 1/2 pint jelly jar size? Considering I pick the cherries, buy sugar and pectin, and then there are the jars...not to mention my time, etc? I want to be fair, but it is a lot of work...What would you charge?

DebbieSue
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

Debbie
TX
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2010 :  10:23:30 AM  Show Profile
I sold it 1 year for 2.00 a jar...but that was too cheap..
What do you think of 3.00 or even 4.00..?
Go to Top of Page

antoinette
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Toni
East Freedom PA
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2010 :  11:59:52 AM  Show Profile
Debbie sent you an email
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2010 :  12:00:57 PM  Show Profile
hmmm, I can't remember what size I was buying, but when I buy a home made one in the ozarks that is cherry, I pay 4 to 5 dollars a jar, but I think it's a whole pint. So 3 probably for a 1/2 pint is good.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2010 :  11:45:42 AM  Show Profile
I sell mine at a farmers market. I get $3.50 for the jelly jar size and $5.00 for pint size. I even have had people ask for quart sizes for family picnics! Those go for $10.00 plus gas if they want it delivered!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2010 :  12:13:56 PM  Show Profile
I used to pay 3.50 for a jelly jar and 6.00 for a pint jar at the farmers markets here in MN. Good luck! Cherry sounds good!!

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.wakeupstartlearning.blogspot.com
www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

fudsy
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Pamela
Clark Fork Idaho
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2010 :  4:13:51 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the idea of selling Jelly. I have apple trees,rasberry & blackberry bushes, and Cherry trees. I've been sitting here wondering how to make extra income. The most important was pricing. Considering as said Jars,sugar,time,pection and pretty labels. So it sounds as if $3.50 is fair.

Farmgirl Sister #1599

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2010 :  6:27:26 PM  Show Profile
And maybe you could offer a discount for returned jars? (would save you money, if you gave a discount of half the jar price, they don't have to know that is what you are doing! IE if you paid 1 dollar for the jar-they don't have to know that, just offer 50 cents off if they return the jar-as you would have to sterilize it and all, but still would save you the money of having to constantly buy brand new jars.)

Oh I should clarify returned EMPTY jars! lol

Edited by - MagnoliaWhisper on Jun 20 2010 6:28:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

DebbieSue
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

Debbie
TX
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2010 :  6:46:31 PM  Show Profile
Great idea on the discount for jars, Heather! I had not thought of that!
Pamela, I am sure you will do good....Let us know how it goes for you!
Go to Top of Page

coloquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Susan
Co
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2010 :  7:46:21 PM  Show Profile  Send coloquilter a Yahoo! Message
Hello,
I would start by adding all your costs and see how much your jelly costs to make.Be sure to account for everything, even any lables and ribbons you might use to decorate the jars( don't forget to pay yourself for your labor!! ) Then decide what is an acceptable profit on your product.It isnt worth your time if you sell the jelly for 3.50 a jar but costs you 4.00 to make
I agree with the others, give repeat customers a discount for returning the jar. A local lady sells green chili and home made tortillas gives me .50 for a returned pint jar
Good Luck
Susan
Go to Top of Page

Lin
True Blue Farmgirl

807 Posts

Lin
Sioux City IA
USA
807 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2010 :  7:49:02 PM  Show Profile
At our Farmers Market, everyone sells the jelly jar size for $5.00 each and they sell a ton of it!!! Lin

"Our beautiful earth is worth saving"!!
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2010 :  06:49:12 AM  Show Profile
What Susan said is what we learned years ago in high school entrepreneurship class.

They suggested not making less then min wage for your time, and "keystoning"=doubling, the cost of what it cost you. They said basically if you couldn't do that it wasn't worth your time and energy. However, with farm stuff like this, I am doubting both those can be done, as people are so used to "cheap" food that is mass produced, with a bunch of government subsidized fillers, that they have no idea the REAL cost of making REAL food. And refuse to pay any more.

However, if it helps, my family would rather pay the little extra for real food! That's why I go ahead and pay the 5 to 6 dollars a pint for the local jelly/jam I buy, instead of going to Wal-mart and getting it for 1.00! (however, funny enough the lady does sell her's in Wal-mart too!).

So do the math, and then you could see if the formula above works. But, I don't know. Let us know how much it is costing you for the final product. Shop around for the extras-labels for the cheapest way you can do that kind of stuff, to keep your cost as little as possible, for the non essentials.

Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2010 :  7:05:00 PM  Show Profile
I know I have happily paid 4 and 5 for a 1/2 pint jar. I love to meet the person making the product! Don't sell yourself short! You have put your time and love into that jelly! I would expect to pay 5-7 dollars for a pint jar. People are going nuts over this back-to-the-land movement. See what you have in each jar, moneywise, and I'd at least double it!

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2010 :  7:29:24 PM  Show Profile
Out of curiousity, what are the legalities of selling a product like that? Do you have to have some sort of approved kitchen and food license? I would love to sell my home canned salsa, spaghetti sauce and jam.

Oh Mr Darcy!

www.SarahPauline.com
www.AbraxasBaroque.com
www.whimsyscents.com
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2010 :  9:30:32 PM  Show Profile
Sarah, it varies by state, I do believe. I can tell you that a processed food, in Texas, must be manufactured in a commercial kitchen, with adequate food labeling. You do have to have certain permits and requirements, though, truly, you can make a commercial kitchen even out of a storage building, pretty much. You would just have to talk to your local health department.

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

coloquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Susan
Co
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2010 :  9:52:22 PM  Show Profile  Send coloquilter a Yahoo! Message
I read about a new business in my area..It's a commercial kitchen that you can rent time in.It is fully equipped with everything you would need. That way you have a health inspected kitchen . It would be prefect for anyone wanting to try their hand at catering or selling their homemade food items.
susan
Go to Top of Page

Heather B
True Blue Farmgirl

562 Posts

Heather
Longmont Colorado
USA
562 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2010 :  2:05:23 PM  Show Profile
Susan,

I'm in Colorado as well and would be interested in more information on the business you were speaking of. I'd love to be able to ssell some of my jams and jellies at the farmers market. Can you direct me in the right direction? Thanks

Heather

http://homesteadincity.blogspot.com/

"Only your real friends tell you when your face is dirty"
Farm Girl Sister #662
Go to Top of Page

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2010 :  6:37:11 PM  Show Profile
I was thinking perhaps local churches may allow you some kitchen time, they have kitchens that are approved for food service and a small donation in exchange for its use might be a win win situation.

Oh Mr Darcy!

www.SarahPauline.com
www.AbraxasBaroque.com
www.whimsyscents.com
Go to Top of Page

EastTXFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

731 Posts

Victoria
Farmgirl #549 TX
USA
731 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2010 :  6:46:56 PM  Show Profile
Hi Debbie I hope you do read this before you start selling. Amanda is very correct. You can not sell any food product processed in your home in the state of Texas. You must have a commercial kitchen. Also, any processed food sold in Texas such as salsa, jellies, pickles really any canned food must be tested and approved by the USDA. There are some pretty stiff fines for breaking these laws. In Texas you are not even allowed to sell baked goods without an approve commercial kitchen.

Begin each morning with a song in your heart.
Go to Top of Page

coloquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Susan
Co
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2010 :  7:50:47 PM  Show Profile  Send coloquilter a Yahoo! Message
Hi Heather.
I saw the announcement on the "Craig Moffat Economic Development Partnership" website. I Imagine the kitchen is located in Steamboat but it doesnt give any address. The business is called "Create a Stir" and email is createastir@rocketmail.com. I did a quick internet search and came up with a kitchen in Longmont and one just
up the road in Loveland and several in Denver

Boulder Kitchen Share LLC
720-435-1980
1515 Main Street, LONGMONT

http://www.commercialkitchenforrent.com/search.php

Susan

Go to Top of Page

Heather B
True Blue Farmgirl

562 Posts

Heather
Longmont Colorado
USA
562 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2010 :  9:12:58 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Susan!

http://homesteadincity.blogspot.com/

"Only your real friends tell you when your face is dirty"
Farm Girl Sister #662
Go to Top of Page

coloquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Susan
Co
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2010 :  6:21:13 PM  Show Profile  Send coloquilter a Yahoo! Message
Hello..I saw a link in this months (sept/oct )" Hobby Farm Home" and thought some of you may be interested as it's related to what we were chatting about here. The issue also has an article "women who can" about women that have started canning businesses.

http://www.hobbyfarms.com/farm-marketing-and-management/canning-business-tips.aspx

Susan
Go to Top of Page

nampafarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

494 Posts

Kim
Nampa ID
USA
494 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2010 :  11:04:53 AM  Show Profile
Debbie Sue, you also may want to make cherries in syrup for ice cream topping. That's what I do with some of mine.
Go to Top of Page

coloquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Susan
Co
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2010 :  7:52:39 PM  Show Profile  Send coloquilter a Yahoo! Message
I am giving this post a bump. There is an article in Hobby Farm Homes this month,(Nov/Dec) on starting a community commercial kitchen. Thought some of you might enjoy it.
Susan
Go to Top of Page

5 acre Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1007 Posts

~~~*Terri*~~~
WA.
USA
1007 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2010 :  09:00:00 AM  Show Profile
YEP!!! $3.50 for the 1/2 pint and $5.00 for the pint is what I sell it for...UNLESS...it is a rare kind(horseradish, hot pepper etc.), the price goes up 50 cents or so.....

Farmgirl Sister #368
~~~**Terri**~~~

http://thecontentedwoman.blogspot.com
Life is too short,is just a vapor, Live it like you wont have another minute....

Edited by - 5 acre Farmgirl on Oct 01 2010 09:02:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

meggy2
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

barb
Flemington Missouri
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2010 :  8:20:50 PM  Show Profile
I sell for 3.50 a jelly jar.Others in the fair sell for 4 or 5 but I always sell all mine and people seek out my booth to buy extras for gifts. I make about 1.35 profit on each jar. Times that times 50 or so and thats not too bad for a days work. Good luck with your sale
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Price for Homemade Jelly?? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page