Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Need a more 'advanced' canning book
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Need a more 'advanced' canning book Next Topic  

vegetarian farmer
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Jane
Freedom pa
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2010 :  10:01:31 AM  Show Profile
I was at the bookstore and most of the modern day canning recipe books all have the same recipes, Jams, pickles,and jellies.Even ball's recipe book is mostly condiments. I am looking for a little more complex recipes, more main courses or better use of the produce other than relish. I have a very old book of my Grandmother's that is half fallen apart and it seems they had more recipes for soups, stews, more complex vegetable recipes. Anyone know of a recipe book still in print that is any good?

http://hardworkhomestead.blogspot.com/

Jeanna
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

Jeanna
Franklin NC
USA
267 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2010 :  10:21:56 AM  Show Profile
I have a book called Putting Food By. I have the older version but they have how to can different meats, vegetable stew, vegetables, fruits, and also jellies and such. They have a newer version on Amazon. Also The Encyclopedia of Country Living has some recipes.

Jeanna
Farmgirl Sister #41

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.
Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2010 :  10:42:24 AM  Show Profile
I love both Putting food by and Stocking up..but by far my new favorite canning book is "Growing and Canning food" by Jackie Clay. It is available on the Backwoods Home magazine website and is AWESOME!!! It just came out last August and I have used the heck out of it already and wouldn't part with mine...lots of great stuff!!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2010 :  1:38:16 PM  Show Profile
I have Putting Food By and Stocking Up as well and they have some good ones in them. I haven't seen a whole lot out there for canning much more than the condiments. I will be lookin into the Growing and Canning Food.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

Nigella
True Blue Farmgirl

386 Posts

Nigella
Chimacum WA
USA
386 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2010 :  1:52:56 PM  Show Profile
Yes to Stocking up!!

Sister #1213

Farm-made aprons and vintage goodies
www.thecapriciouscorgi.etsy.com

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
~Thomas Edison~
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2010 :  2:40:43 PM  Show Profile
Jackie Clay is awesome! I will have to get that book.

Age only matters if you are wine or cheese.
http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922
Go to Top of Page

jill skane
True Blue Farmgirl

853 Posts

jill lillian
stacyville maine
USA
853 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2010 :  2:57:27 PM  Show Profile
Is putting Food by a book and stocking up another book, just went thru some of books from library sale and has puting food by I picked up for .25.
Jill
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2010 :  3:01:41 PM  Show Profile
Yes...two separate books. There are many editions of them too..they have been around awhile.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2864 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2864 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2010 :  8:10:26 PM  Show Profile
Have my Jackie Clay book out tonight... I love that lady! She knows everything! kinda like Mary Jane!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2010 :  11:29:04 PM  Show Profile
Yep. They are the two women (that are alive NOW) that I would most love to meet in person.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2010 :  07:37:25 AM  Show Profile
Getting them from library sales is a great idea! Wish I'd thought about that. Our library used to have several copies of both books and has recently been doin the sales to get rid of duplicates. I got a hard backed collectors edition of stocking up when I bought 3 boxes of books at a yard sale that were supposed to be all homeschooling books. It is so beautiful I keep it up out of the baby's reach to keep it nice. My copy of putting food by cost me $8 on amazon after shipping, not bad for a new book, but the library copy would have been just fine with me. I'm gonna start haunting the library sales each month and search for some of the older canning books. If I find some I'll email you Jane and see if we can work out a swap. I keep a canning binder, so I'll only need a few of the recipes from the books. The only ones I keep around is stocking up, putting food by, a very old copy of the ball bluebook, and a newer ball bluebook.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

SusanScarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

317 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2010 :  3:01:44 PM  Show Profile
I have Putting Food By, Farm Journal's Freezing & Canning Cookbook (1973) and The Green Thump Preserving Guide (1976). I'm putting Stocking Up and Jackie Clay's book on my "look for" list.
Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2010 :  2:24:21 PM  Show Profile
When you start to can more meal items like soups and stews you will have to invest in a pressure canner. Meats and low acid foods need to canned by this method to effectively stop the enzymes that cause botulism and other nasties. it is definitely worth checking out putting foood by and Stocking Up. And I would suppose there are plenty of recipes that come with the pressure canner.

A pressure canner is different that a pressure cooker
hope this is helpful
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.artfire.com

Love that good ole vintage junk
Go to Top of Page

Rivergirl_2007
True Blue Farmgirl

332 Posts

Shirley
Karnak IL
USA
332 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2010 :  10:42:50 PM  Show Profile
It did not occur to me to check the library for canning books. I will be looking for both of those because I too am always looking for something more than the basic recipes.
Go to Top of Page

vegetarian farmer
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Jane
Freedom pa
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2010 :  05:34:56 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the suggestions Ladies. I ordered Putting Food by and from what you could see in the preview on Amazon, it looks great(plus a good price). So I am waiting by the mailbox and can't wait to try some new recipes out. I am still going to be on the hunt for Stocking up and Jackie Clays book. At least I will have something to get started. I didn't try the library because they do not seem to like when you bring the book back covered in food. I am not neat in the kitchen:)

http://hardworkhomestead.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2010 :  06:31:50 AM  Show Profile
Silly Me I posted this on the other canning post!

Jackie Clay's book can be purchased at www.backwoodshome.com and Stocking up can be purchased at Borders.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

MerryHeartSister
True Blue Farmgirl

158 Posts

Christy
Tuscaloosa Alabama
USA
158 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2010 :  05:02:10 AM  Show Profile
I love So Easy to Preserve from the University of Georgia Extension office.
http://www.uga.edu/setp/
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2010 :  07:04:14 AM  Show Profile
I went to Ball's website yesterday and sent them a little note about how nice it would be to have a book written with just pressure canning recipes. Not just the standard how to can meat, chicken soup, and broth recipes, but real life use everyday recipes. Maybe if enough people write them they will publish something. Their website is www.freshpreserving.com.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Need a more 'advanced' canning book Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page