missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2010 :  3:27:11 PM  Show Profile
I'm so excited! This will be our first Christmas at our farm and I'd like to decorate the barn. So I'm wondering how you ladies decorate these sometimes forgotten buildings around the holidays?

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2010 :  4:07:22 PM  Show Profile
Oh, Karen! How exciting! I'm so happy for you! I don't have a barn, but I sure would love to see pictures when you've done yours up! :) Have a wonderful time! - Nini

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2010 :  4:25:04 PM  Show Profile
Wow! I hope you'll post a picture. We just put up our barn 1-2 months ago. So, we're going to decorate with insulation this season. :) White, fluffy looking..hmm. I would like eventually to string lights along the roofline. Not very creative, but I like the classic red barn/white trim and clean lines of it. Though I admire those with the quilts painted on them! Wow!

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2010 :  4:49:28 PM  Show Profile
Our barn is most likely as old as our house, which was built in 1900. It's leaning a bit and being held up by guy wires (?) - not sure when. She's a faded red with white trim but quaint as heck, and I just love her. In fact, i just spent the afternoon sweeping it out and rearranging our stuff we put in there when we moved in a few months back. My daughter took a gander up in the loft and one had old boxes up there. Hmmmmm, just try and keep me from seeing what's in those things!

Because we have two 'barnies' (barn cats) - I'm going to fix them a toasty little nest inside a discarded cupboard with leftover insulation, old cotton blanket and lots of love. Every morning they watch me through our front door waiting for me to bring them breakfast. It's so cute to watch them come running when they hear me coming out the back door.....they nearly trip me in their eagerness for some grub.

Lucky you, Huckleberrywine, to have a new barn! Maybe a simple lighted wreath on the door would welcome it's first Christmas?

I'll post pics of our old girl (and her inhabitants) soon. Right now I've got so much going on what with Turkey Day coming and my son coming up.

I also like the look of painted quilts on barns.......I haven't seen any in our area. :(
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2010 :  8:18:35 PM  Show Profile
Wreaths look great on the windows on old barns. Check your area for greenery to use for them or maybe grapevine. A winter quilt block pattern in green and white or Your favorite colors painted on a board and put up above the barn doors should be great! If you have milk cans you don't use you could put greenery on top of them too. Don't put cookies in the window unless you want the mice to have a Very Merry Christmas, but you could put a rope of paper doll santas or elves hanging from the inside. It will be very exciting to see what ideas you come up with this year. You may want to do something different next year. Happy decorating!

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Ann2144
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

USA
106 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2010 :  1:45:29 PM  Show Profile
HI Karen,
I don't have a barn..not even close, but envy those who do. I think it would be really sweet to make a string of treats for the birds and hang it across the windows. You can make your own by using lard (melt it on low heat) and birdseed and a flat pan, then cut into squares and punch a hole in the top with a skewer for the line to go through. Add a few cranberries and popcorn in between and it's a colorful and helpful thing to do! Hope you try it!
Ann

Love Each Other
Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2010 :  8:06:56 PM  Show Profile
Yikes, I checked out how much a large (36") wreath would cost....ouch! But I've got plenty white lights to put on it and I'm sure I'll use it again the following year so it'd be a good investment. Maybe our local Michael's will have them on sale or I can use a coupon.

I like the idea of the bird seed for the feathered friends. As for my barn kitties......they're going to get warm milk on Christmas morning as a treat!

I'll post a pic of our barn but keep in mind that it's your typical old barn that hasn't been painted in eons. But honestly, doesn't that make it all the more charming? LOL
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2010 :  03:52:26 AM  Show Profile
after reading this thread; i now have barn envy......
*!*

Farmgirl # 2139
~*~ counting my pennies and biding my time; my dreams are adding up!~*~
Go to Top of Page

ponypower
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Lily
Caspar Ca
USA
68 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2010 :  7:48:31 PM  Show Profile
I once saw a coil of old barb wire with lights wrapped around it on a barn door. Looked great!
Go to Top of Page

MTNSunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

Sunny
Tollhouse CA
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2010 :  10:49:09 PM  Show Profile
Ooh the barbwire with lights sounds super cute and cheap! Thanks for the idea!

Proud FarmGirl #914 ;o)
Go to Top of Page

ponypower
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Lily
Caspar Ca
USA
68 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2010 :  01:04:18 AM  Show Profile
My pleasure Treasure! : )
Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2010 :  5:27:09 PM  Show Profile
If I can't find a decently priced large wreath then maybe I can make one of my own somehow for far less.....

Also, just realized that I have the option to take pics at night with my digital......so I'll see how that goes.

But just got our tree up tonight. Put those new LED lights on it but I think they're a wee bit too bright for my taste. I like the more subdued and softer look of the 'old' mini white lights. It's more primitive that way!

But yes, the barb wire is a nice touch. Wish I had some in the barn to use!
Go to Top of Page

countrymum
True Blue Farmgirl

97 Posts

Lorie
PA
USA
97 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2010 :  5:15:44 PM  Show Profile
the top of our barn has a cupola that we place a large star on, which my husband cut from scrap wood and wrapped lights around it. It is so neat to see from a couple miles away, always reminds me of the manger scene.

"This country needs cleaner minds & dirtier fingernails." Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2010 :  6:25:35 PM  Show Profile
Hmmmmm......loads of unused strings of lights in our barn, along with a ton of scrap wood in there = ??? What a cute idea, countrymum!
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2010 :  10:43:23 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
My dad said he would put Christmas lights around my goat shed! I am so excited! I love Christmas! Karen, I am so excited for you! :)
Hugs,
Hannah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Lifes not about the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away.

Just a small town country girl, farmgirl,loggergirl, trying to live her dreams. :)

P.s. I've been playing around with the spelling of my name ( weird I know) and I've decided that I will stick with Hannah for good. Sorry I got you all confused. Hugs!!
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2010 :  08:15:15 AM  Show Profile
I think if it ever stops raining I am going to put lights on my goat barn out back. I think the goaties will like the light. And maybe even the chickens will go in then. Everybody needs a little Christmas cheer, right?

I hope ya'll can post some pictures when you get the barns all decorated.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2010 :  01:32:07 AM  Show Profile
My daughter just pulled out her horses stockings. I had made them years ago out of denim with a red handkerchief cuff. They hang on the stall doors and make us smile! That is about the extent of our barn's holiday decor, though!

You ladies have much more energy and some great ideas!
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2010 :  6:25:27 PM  Show Profile
When my mom was a child, they lived on the prairie and didn't have a lot of greenery. For their Christmas tree, they took whatever "tree" material they had and wrapped it with strips of an old white sheet. Then they traced around animal cookie cutters on red construction paper and tied the decorations on with yarn. I have a home-made children's barn I decorate with a wreath and put the manger scene inside. Happy Holidays girls.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2010 :  02:07:43 AM  Show Profile
Bonnie,
That seems like a really sweet way to remember your mom's childhood!
Marianne
Go to Top of Page
  Holidays: Previous Topic Decorating your barn Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page