darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2012 :  11:45:46 AM  Show Profile
Well, after rappeling above the rain forest, the massage was fabulous. So was the little nap. Now I have been admiring Ginny's "cover up" that she picked up while at the museum. I hope they have another - perhaps in hot pink - (oh, did I just say "hot"?) The Latin dancing last night was hot enough to warrant a fire alarm. More than steak sizzling, girlfriends. Did you notice Holly on the dance floor exhibiting her Tango moves? Cool... Or rather - Hot!

Church yesterday was so moving and deeply spiritual. We were all forgiven. You know what for. I think even the Lord was laughing as as Ginny tried to translate the Samba school song. The people were amazing. I was sitting with a young, newly wed couple and their families. They shared that they actually met at a zip line! Jose was driving the tourist bus to the "lift off" point and Maria was getting folks strapped into the harness that attaches to the zip line. Well, she turned and smiled at him as he was looking at her and he drove off the road. She said the romance was "spicy." He just smiled and smiled. The whole family giggled a lot. Mama said they want lots of bambinos.

I am so ready to visit the sugar plantations. I understand that aside from being very interesting and educational - we will stop at the gift shop.

After enjoying the marketplace with Patty, Ginny and Dianne, I am up for more shopping. It was so fun and colorful. The food was different and very tasty, too. I must say though, that Dianne got some of the best deals on trinkets and things! She would smile at the fellow at the stall, kind of lean forward and adjust her bikini top. Well, I'll tell you! Some jaws dropped and so did the prices. Ginny and I benefited from her "moves" more than once. Gracias, Dianne.

What time do we depart for the plantation, Holly? I'm with Nancy - thinking that squeezing in a little beach time might be nice today.

Oh, before I forget, I do have 2 very cute cabana boys to tuck into my gathering bag. We have to swing by Glenda's place to drop them off in Texas on the trip home. The boys said they always wanted to be cowboys and want to meet a real Texan. We chatted a bit and they promised to spend as much time pampering Glenda as she wishes. I can recommend both the shoulder massage AND the foot massage for starters. (They may not have heard the phrase "high maintenance.") So, hey, gf, I lassoed a couple of cabana-boy-wanna-be-cowboys fer ya. De nada, sweetheart.

Sister #3284 - on her Tippie Toes - oxox, Darlys

That is the best ... to laugh with someone because you both think the same things are funny.
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2012 :  6:13:32 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

The trip to the sugar plantation was very educational. We traveled by bus through the city to the countryside. We drove by some of the very rich houses and then past the very poorest of poor. Our hearts were stretched. Some of us wondered out loud what we could do as short term tourists to give a hand up to the poorest children. Maybe during one of our free afternoons we could stop by a school or a library and ask what might be needed that we could supply.

At the sugar plantation there was a display showing the history of this sugar plantation. It had been originally worked by slaves from Africa and slaves of the Native people. Reading the narrative enforced what many of us already knew and none of us really liked.

There was also a demonstration of how the sugar was harvested by hand and now how it is done by machine. The planting was just as labor intensive as the harvesting. We walked through the process of how the sugar is extracted from the cane. It is brownish when it is boiled. I was not impressed with how the brown sugar is then made white. Why did some one decide that consumers would rather have white sugar than brown? Anyway we had samples of the new sugar. We walked through the fields and had a nice lunch supplied by the tour. I liked papaya and mango dessert.

We arrived back at the hacienda for an afternoon of beach time. Can't get enough of the each hey gfs? We must all have fabulous tans by now. The massages sound wonderful. I must get my name on that list so I will not go this whole vacation without one. I think the cabana boys will be happier at Glenda's than my house. They might turn into popsicles here not being used to the cold.

I would like to go to Grandma's birthday party. I think it will be a good time and we will make more friends. Whatever the dance is I am sure we will make a good show of it even if we end up laughing so hard our legs sweat from embarrassment.

Penny, we will know better how to pack for our next fantasy vacation and how much the steamer trunk will hold. It is good Dianne can barter at the shops so we can get some nice clothes to show off our exquisite figures. lol I want to be in Dianne's group when we go to the open air market so I can get a good price on some of the wares there. A nice pair of leather shoes to go with the chaps would be desireable. A bright painting to remember the trip.

tomorrow is the botanical gardens. We will have lunxh there. Carrying plants into the United States from Brazil is illegal gfs. Remember that when you think about snipping a few cuttings to take home.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2012 :  8:39:30 PM  Show Profile
Hey Bunny...I thought of you today!

Patty #1840

http://ladygonegreen.blogspot.com/

A rind is a terrible thing to waste. Compost.

When they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, “Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted.”
-Jesus in John 6:12 NIV Bible
Go to Top of Page

janiee
True Blue Farmgirl

820 Posts

Janie
Shawnee Oklahoma
USA
820 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2012 :  06:29:27 AM  Show Profile
oh, I am having the best time here in Rio! all of us have beautiful tans and I have met some interesting cabana boys-one wants to come home with me! I have to check with my 4 furbabies to see if they would like to have him before i tell him yes or no though.
the botanical gardens were beautiful- i have never seen such large flowers and such wonderful colors-it was breath taking. and i loved the church service although i did feel a little strange about going in a biniki top and wrap around skirt but the people were so sweet and kind. I sat with some school girls and we all had a good time getting to know each other. they wanted to know aobut Mary Jane and the farm and I wanted to know what it was like to grow up in such a lovely warm place. they also planned on going to grandma's party so we agreed to meet there. I have been taste testing all of the drinks available here and the lemonade we had on the way down is by far the best so far! I am so ready for the zipping again! oh, it will be the best vacation i have had in years and i have lots of pictures to remember everyone and everything by!
janiee
farmgirl #390
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2012 :  07:18:47 AM  Show Profile
Patty, lol cute.

Farmgirl number 3738

www.bunnyrose.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2012 :  3:53:04 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

I am so glad that everyone had an enjoyale time at the botanical gardens. It is nice to see summer flowers blooming everywhere when from where we have come it is deep winter. I am with Janiee in admiring the beautiful blooms. Ginny ran into the family who rescued her when she was riding the motorscooter and had the huge fruit fall on her head. I was interested to see that the gardeners allowed the insects to live in the garden as well as the plants. they did not see a 5 inch green and yellow striped caterpillar as ugly and remove it they saw the interconnectedness of the organisms. However when the caterpillar fell into Bunny's drink and splashed all over her avocado salad and she screamed in a high pitched hysterical sort of way it did turn a few heads. Who knew it was a protected species? when Patty went to spear it with a fork to remove it from the drink and the gardener lunged across the table to stop her. Whew, we were not evicted for our ignorance. I saw some of you compulsive growing fanatics snipping clippings to sneak home in the trunk. I hope we can make it through customs with your stashes.

Yesterday in Vermont the temperatures were quite chilly. today it started out at 20 and moved up through melting and the rain has put a nice slick surface on the roads. Schools were let out early and afterschool activites were cancelled. NO basketbball game for Talie.

It looks like Coco's bag is starting to fill so maybe she will have her calf in the next two weeks. This year is a year for G names so put on your thinking caps.

There used to be a program around here for people who volunteered. If you did four hours a month then you could buy for a fixed price a box of food. There were vegetarian boxes and meat boxes. the vegetarian boxes had many prepackaged treats in them like granola bars. The children really liked those.

A couple of days ago I made potato bread. Today my 15 yo dd announced that I should make bread more often she likes it better than the store bought stuff. She usually doesn't like anything I make so I was in shock. A few weeks ago I made pizza bread which is a white yeast bread recipe with tomato sauce, pepperoni and mozzarella chees rolled in it. My 17 yo who wants us to buy white bread at the store told me it was good. Maye I am finally learning something in my advancing years. lol

Sweet dreams everyone,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2012 :  05:33:21 AM  Show Profile
Wow, what a day we had at the botanical gardens. Such beautiful flowers I have never seen and so large. I am glad, too, that the insects can be free to live among the plants. That caterpilller was ugly, admit it. but someday it will be one gorgeous butterfly. I did want to disappear under the table when that gardener started being aggresive. Scared me. Did he have to be so loud? Yelling like that. You would think we were spies or something.

I am looking forward to Grandma's party. It will be lots of fun.

Holly I love homemade bread. When your teens like something you do, you are really doing it especially well. They know good when they taste it. Next trip you will have to bring some of that bread in the trunk. The pizza bread some yummy. It must have smelled so good at your house when that was baking.

We had lots of ladies at the sewing group yesterday. One lady is 85 and bless her heart she just started making quilts a couple of years ago. She has only made 5 so far. She is now working on a king size quilt for her DIL. I hope I am still learning new things at 85.

Going to get myself another cup of coffee and make some breakfast. Eggs and fruit this morning.

Hugs ans squeezies,

Nancy

Farmgirl Sister #2301

Laughing is good exercise. It is like jogging on the inside.
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2012 :  05:33:57 AM  Show Profile
Wow, what a day we had at the botanical gardens. Such beautiful flowers I have never seen and so large. I am glad, too, that the insects can be free to live among the plants. That caterpilller was ugly, admit it. but someday it will be one gorgeous butterfly. I did want to disappear under the table when that gardener started being aggresive. Scared me. Did he have to be so loud? Yelling like that. You would think we were spies or something.

I am looking forward to Grandma's party. It will be lots of fun.

Holly I love homemade bread. When your teens like something you do, you are really doing it especially well. They know good when they taste it. Next trip you will have to bring some of that bread in the trunk. The pizza bread some yummy. It must have smelled so good at your house when that was baking.

We had lots of ladies at the sewing group yesterday. One lady is 85 and bless her heart she just started making quilts a couple of years ago. She has only made 5 so far. She is now working on a king size quilt for her DIL. I hope I am still learning new things at 85.

Going to get myself another cup of coffee and make some breakfast. Eggs and fruit this morning.

Hugs ans squeezies,

Nancy

Farmgirl Sister #2301

Go to Top of Page

DEW
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

Dianne
Weiser Idaho
USA
317 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2012 :  09:15:45 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning
Yes it is snowing!! Yahoo!! It is really coming down. I wish it had not waited till I had to go back to work. At least I have a window so I can watch it come down.

Thelma I added an Amen to your prayer.

Susan I live in Weiaer ID just across the boarder of OR. And I am in complete agreement with you. Old Man winter is late! It looks like he has finaly arrived here, at least for a while.

Penny that was a beautiful new years prayer. I would want to frame it to. It needs to be somewhere you can see it every day. i love the thing from FB. that was great.

Ginny that was wonderful thank you for sharing with us.

Penny I love the saying. I hope I can find something like it around here.

it is still snowing here and I am still dancing for joy. My students think I am nuts. they don't know I am secretly in Rio. OOh look at that cabana boy.....

Dianne (ID)
Go to Top of Page

DEW
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

Dianne
Weiser Idaho
USA
317 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2012 :  09:21:19 AM  Show Profile
Awe the sun and just when it was starting to snow in Idaho.

Darlys thanks for the lemonaid I am not sure I would have made the flight with out it. I have heard that before flight speach so many times I could give it myself. So I thought I would liven things up just a little. They were not spit balls they were the peas from the trail mix I brought. LOL I need to practice my aim. LOL

Penny yo need to hit the shops with us. They have the most beautiful wraps.

Darlys make the lemonaid and ask Miguel to bring friends next time. Didn't your mom teach you to share with your sisters?

Now Darlys you know that I do not wear a bikini. It was a very modest one peice that kept slipping and slipping and.. It's not my fault! I have been trying to lose wight for this trip.

Church was truly an awesome experience I am glad we attended.

I love the botanical gardens, but I would have to bring the really cute gardener to tend the flowes. Hey maybe we should send Glenda a cabana boy and a gardener. She could sit and watch one work on her garden while the other tends to her a ..... every need. LOL

I am up and ready for to day Zip line anyone?

Dianne (ID)
Go to Top of Page

oregonatural
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

Susan
Sprague River OR
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2012 :  09:26:31 AM  Show Profile
OK, I'm slowly getting to know you all . Be patient with me, I'll get there. I don't do anything very fast anymore, but I'm always movin'!

Marianne, I was a road warrior for a long time and you are so right that it takes a toll. Keep the home fires burning, it means a lot when you're on the road! My usual flight in was very late at night so I would drive back to our cabin over a high pass. I'd call my husband and tell him to leave a light on and when I came over the ridge, I could see a light, high up on the mountain, way way across the valley, and I knew my sweet family was looking for me. It always gave my heart a thrill. There is a line from a song Bye Bye Blackbird, "make my bed and light the light, I'll arrive late tonight, black bird, bye bye!"

Ginny, I envy your costume. You must have the figure for it! Must have taken hours to stitch all the feathers and sequins! ;-) And thank you for sharing the story of Frank and Kathrine. Inspiring. I'll keep them in my prayers.

Holly, I was feeling sorry for myself with the temp here in the single digits till I read your -22 post. Save some lasagne for me that sounds so good!

Patty, I'll pray for your sewing room re-org project and you can pray for mine. It's a tiny little loft barely big enough to turn around in, up in the peak of the cabin, I call it my nest. And when I'm done with any sewing task, I have to be diligent about tidying up and... sadly, I am not, so I have to clean it up today before I can work on my grandson's birthday quilt. Sigh.

Penny, I've upgraded to about Husband 5.0 from Boyfriend 4.0 awhile back, but I can dig the advice there. Although I've tried it in the past, I have found that downloading the Tears and Guilt programs generally requires a full reboot so I don't do it so much anymore. Tee hee!

ALL: Please pop on over to the BOOK IDEAS forum and add your two cents worth of wisdom to the thread KEEPING YOUNG AT HEART. I'm trying to siphon some of the wisdom of the gals here abouts and this bunch of bananas is clearly where it's at!

Cheers!
Susan

My random wacky off-grid blog: http://oregonnatural.blogspot.com/
Blessings on you from the bottom of my mountain girl heart!
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2012 :  5:42:22 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

Today at the open air market we had a fabulous time. Dianne worked her magick on the sellers. She is teaching Bunny to waggle her..... well, Nancy is catching on how to haggle for a price in Portuguese. She is really fabulous with how quickly she has caught on to the counting in a totally foreign language. It is amazing how total immersion in a language can increase ones learning curve.

One booth had amazing costumes. Penny attracted a big crowd trying them on and dancing. It is nice to be in a country with a sense of humor. Another had gorgeous jewelry. My favorite had knit sweaters in bright and cheery colors. One booth had talking birds and wouldn't one be great to take home in the trunk for entertainment. There were weavers and clay workers, painters and sewers, rug makers and basketmakers. I could have spent four days there but it is only a one day a week market. Powerwalking I don't think so rambling and browsing was more like it.

Ginny did look funny on the motorscooter with all of the packages tied on the back bulging out every which way on her way back to the hacienda.

Spending the evening on the beach is where it is at. Floating in the ocean watching the underwater life with snorkels and masks is relaxing for me. If those fish stopped swimming so fast I might have a chance to get one of their pictures.

I know that some of you have taken advantage of the outdoor shower that sits behind the hacienda right near the mountain side. I do like having a hot fresh water shower to wash off the salt with the cool breeze blowing by. Did the host tell you the water is gravity fed to a holding tank and then heated by solar? I would love to have an outdoor shower with hot water at home.

To change gears a little. I think that town in Alaska that has had ten feet of snow over the last few weeks has been more than a little greedy. Surely they could have spared a couple of feet for Idaho and a couple of feet for Vermont. I know that Illinois and Maine do not want their share.

Nancy, what temperature do you consider cold? Inquiring minds want to know.

I want to know why in the summer 65 degrees feels cool but in the winter we are glad to have our house that warm?

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2012 :  9:44:22 PM  Show Profile
Holly, funny Dianne's lesson got me some great deals. I now know the dip and bend move. And I did not scream like a little girl at the bug... heavens. Well, maybe a little. It was a really big hairy bug. And in my salad too. At least it didn't change the taste of my salad.

Funny about the 65 degree comment. In winter that's short sleeve weather! I can hear the snow dripping off our roof right now. If it freezes tonight, I probably won't make it to school.

Dana, don't worry about the late ornaments. We will be glad for what ever comes our way. Kitties can be so special sometimes.

I was so lazy today. I watched netflix and caught up on a TV series I have been wanting to watch. Pretty much that is all I did today. Just a slug with my kitties in bed. If I stay home again tomorrow, I have to do home work for sure.

Farmgirl number 3738

www.bunnyrose.com

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2012 :  9:46:11 PM  Show Profile
Sorry, I think I mingled comments to two different forums together.

Farmgirl number 3738

www.bunnyrose.com

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2012 :  06:35:44 AM  Show Profile
I could have spent the whole day at the market. There was so much to see and so little time. The colors just amazed me. I loved all the reds, yellows and those blue greens... just blew my mind. I was hoping to find an outfit like Carmen Miranda used to wear. I did see some hats that were similar but none as large with the fruits on top like she used to wear. Most people of the younger people may not know who she was. The birds, especially the MacCaws were so cute I wanted to buy one but I couldn't figure out how I coould sneak it into the trunk without having the beak poke someone..

Holly I did see those sweaters and they would look so good on you. Did you get any of them? Ginny looked like she had a big shopping spree I saw Darlys, Janie and Dianne with their many bags of items that they purchased. What a wonderful day we had.

Oh dear, what do I consider cold? I am from Southern California originally. I am now in Florida. My poor little, weak body has never been able to become the hearty and strong and used to the harsh cold weather of the north and mid west states. The only snow I have seen has been (1) the 2 inches we had one day when I was a kid and we had a freak snow, (2) when we went to the mountains for a day of fun, (3) when I lived in New York City for 7 months when I was 10 years old.

So if it is 45 degrees or lower in the afternoon that is considered cold because I do not have the clothing for cold weather other than gloves and a light coat and hat. I have no clothes for really cold weather so if it gets down to 43 degrees like last year I get so cold. I had to layer up with lots of regular clothes.

When I lived in New York I had the warm clothes so I loved the snow. Of course I didn't drive in it or have to shovel it.

I am making some pumpkin bread today and freezin the other pieces of pumpkin. I finally cut up the last of my pumpkins and made the seeds last night which tasted so good. DH roasted them and I don't know how he spiced them but they were so yummy. I couldn't stop eating them. Between us we ate them all while watching some movie with Drew Barrymore that we bought at a thrift store for a $1. Pretty good too.

Yesterday, Mr. Kitty caught a mouse and Snuggles wanted to see what the cat had. When she ran out to see it, Mr. Kitty dropped it and the mouse started to run. Dogs smell better than they see and cats see better than they smell. It was a reall laugh watching the dog running around with her nose to the ground trying to pick up a scent while the cat was chasing the mouse because he saw where the mouse went. The mouse got away.

Have a good day everyone. We are having steak, califlower, baked potatos and big salad tonight.

Hugs,

Nancy #2301

Go to Top of Page

DEW
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

Dianne
Weiser Idaho
USA
317 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2012 :  09:03:48 AM  Show Profile
Good morning

Holly is it possble to get another trunk for the return trip. Another trunk for all of our goodies might be a good idea. I packed light for the trip here but I may have gone, well, just a bit overboard with the shopping yesterday. I had to grab that really cute guy to help all of the stuff back to the hacienda.

Alaska sure has been greedy with the snow this year. All of our snow if gone. We have nothing but rain. :( Northern Idaho is still getting snow so there is some hope. I told my Dh I was moving north. He did not believe till I started showing him property for sale around Sandpoint. LOL

I am going to the beach now and bask in the sun. Then I think a hot shower in the outside shower sounds really good before we go dancing tonight. We are going dancing tonight, or did I get my nghts mixed up?

Dianne (ID)
Go to Top of Page

janiee
True Blue Farmgirl

820 Posts

Janie
Shawnee Oklahoma
USA
820 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2012 :  11:00:07 AM  Show Profile
oh my, i have so much stuff to send home! i don't want to take up too much room in the trunk so i am thinking of shipping it all another way. also, that would give me more room for more stuff! I just love it here and yes, i have tried the outside shower and it is heavenly! I am afraid that i am still giggling (just a little bit) at bunny and the bug-what a story to tell the others when we get home! and i found not one but two costumes with the feather wings (which is why i am considering shipping separately) one a vivid green and one a very brite red. am thinking of liveing up the neighborhood (hehehehehehe) i think we are going to go dancing and i am so ready. my cabana friend has been teaching me some moves under the stars and it is so much fun! they have such an excitement for the little things in life!
ooh, got another lesson (dancing) coming up so have to go! see you there....
janiee
farmgirl #390
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2012 :  12:08:16 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Ohhhh, I can't wait for tonight...I love dancing and with all the new moves I've learned on this trip, I can't wait.....

I loved the market too...so much fun...I got some new colorful tank tops and shorts...I never thought those colors would go together but they do...greens, blues, reds, oranges and even my favorite purple in such wonderful designs. I agree with Janie, there won't be room in the trunk so I need to ship stuff back too....I just love the handmade baskets and pocketbooks they made too...oh did you see the bags they made? I can use them at the grocery store when I get home instead of those plastic things they use...and with all the colors it will make things happy, happy, happy.

I love the outdoor shower too.....I need one of those on the farm....going to have to tell DH about it so we can check into it...

I loved the macaws too...I used to have one a scarlet macaw..she was so beautiful...when DH left, he came back one day while I was at work and took her cause his new girlfriend wanted her...I had a fit...even called the police nothing they could do because we weren't divorced yet...so I lost her...sorry guess I should have kept that story to myself huh? Anyway....Nancy the macaws would do more than just peck us...with those beaks they can take a finger off...you should see some of my scars...lol

Well I'm off to finish reading...got lots of books from the library I need to finish......I enjoy Beverly Lewis so much...

And it is day 9, and still not smoking, thank you all for the prayers....

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...

http://ourgeorgiafarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2012 :  5:27:45 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

I did find a warm woolen sweater at the market. I said to the shop owner if you have a sweater with sleeves this long and I held out my arms I will take it. She did. It is knit in blocks of color. greens, oranges, reds, andbrowns. It zips up the front. I have received compliments on it as we stroll around at night.

I also found a nice pair of chestnut leather boots that come just above my ankles. I wanted to get something to where when I come to visit one of you and we go out to a fancy restaurant. At least I will have nice shoes.

Dancing is tonight at the club. Tomorrow night is Grandma's birthday. I am glad Janiee and Penny are up on their dance moves because I am usually two left feet.

I am glad everyone had a good time at the market. I think we all left a lasting impression on the shop keepers and the local shoppers. It is so nice to go shopping with people who know how to shop and expect to have a good time.

Today on the shoreline cruise I had a great time. I especially liked being under full sail to get to the cove to see the wildlife. Did anyone know there were so many shades of green and then to have a cluster of bright red flowers appear was breathtaking. I am glad I have a digital camera that takes thousands of pictures instead of a film camera that restricted pictures to well focused dozens. My hard drive might be used up by the time everything is downloaded. I did like swimming with the mantas in the cove. That was awesome. I have never been so close to a wild creature that big besides my cows. kWho was it that was sidling up so close to the deck hand for some personal instruction on hook baiting?

Nancy I think I could get used to living in a warm climate all year round. I do like the snow. It relieves the monotony of the grey trees once the leaves are gone. Snow makes everything seem so clean and fresh.

Bunny what classes are you taking?

Penny good for you on day nine. I met a woman once at the Statehouse who had an amazing diamond ring. She had bought it with the savings from not smoking for a year.

Anyone heard from all those who have not typed in a while? Is life spinning up again for all of you? I hope you are well.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2012 :  5:45:31 PM  Show Profile
Holly, I'm taking accounting classes. I'm in a life redo and searching the web it looked like it was still a decent field to get a job in. So I went back to college after 35+ years. I didn't get much accomplished 35 years ago so I'm starting over. But hopefully in two years I'll be able to get a real job and support myself again.

Farmgirl number 3738

www.bunnyrose.com

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

DEW
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

Dianne
Weiser Idaho
USA
317 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2012 :  10:12:22 AM  Show Profile

Good Morning
Is everyone awake?
My feet are sore but what a wonderful time dancing the night away. Holly what do you mean two left feet? I saw you out there shaken your ..er.. well.. a ..backside. Janiee and Penny sure can move. I don't think they sat down for one dance. We need to get them to teach us some of those moves. Well the one we can do in public any way.

Well the snow is gone but they are saying we are going to get another snow storm on Sunday. We will see.
The DH and I are headed out on Saturday for date night. Yeah!! My two DDs got together for Christmas and gave us gift cards for a movie theater and a restaurant. Should be fun.

Dianne (ID)
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2012 :  5:18:27 PM  Show Profile
Hello friends. I have a new smart phone so I can check in but what a pain these tiny little keys are so I will
Make this short. I am In Houston to help my brother. Unfortunately he was. Not well enough to take his chemo but we are hoping for next wednesday
I sure miss being on this forum and all the fun. However a little birdie told me our sister darlys is sending a couple of pool boys downto Texas to cheer me up. Gotta love that gal. Those of you who have learned to type on these tiny little
Smart keyboards Are laughing right now knowing I am cussing this phone

Glenda #3534
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2012 :  6:11:25 PM  Show Profile
Glenda,
It was nice to hear from you. Sorry your brother is having some setbacks. You both remain in my prayers. You are doing just fine with the d/*# little buttons!
marianne
Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2012 :  7:51:45 PM  Show Profile
Good evening. I have been so busy trying to organize my sewing room. It is looking better and I think I will be able to finish it off tomorrow. I can at least walk in it...lol.
We set 92 additional quail eggs today. :) And we now have 2 pigeon eggs under one of our hens. I can't wait for some to start hatching. :)
Today I went to Soulard's Market in St Louis with 2 other ladies. We collected $15 from a total of 10 ladies and went down there with $150 to buy cased produce. ($15 is what Bountiful Baskets ask for in a contribution). We walked around to the vendors and ask for their case prices and explained that we were trying to do our own little coop. We gathered all the prices and info we needed. We then huddled together and decided what we would buy and from which vendor. We approached the vendors with the list of items we wanted to purchase and ask them "If we buy all of this, can you discount it a little more?" All of them said they had quoted as low as they could, but we were able to talk them all into adding some produce to even out our cases, so they would divide by 10, or they added a couple bunches of beets or stalks of celery. Not enough to divide between 10 baskets, but was an extra for those of us that volunteered to be buyers. Each basket ended up with...
1 or 2 Pineapple
1.5 lbs of Grapes
5 onions
9 potatoes
5 broccoli crowns
5 bunches green onions
3 Romaine Lettuce hearts
7 green peppers
4 tomatoes
14 tangerines
9 apples
3 lbs carrots
1 or 2 lg head cabbage
It was alot more than we came home with last weekend from Bountiful Baskets distribution, and we didn't have to drive 6 hours to get it. :)
I am sure we will do this again. It was way too much fun negotiating prices and shopping for bargains. :)

Sorting our produce

Our Veggies

Our Fruit

Patty #1840

http://ladygonegreen.blogspot.com/

A rind is a terrible thing to waste. Compost.

When they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, “Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted.”
-Jesus in John 6:12 NIV Bible
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2012 :  8:15:00 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
This is a link that reminded me of Patty's plant in a bottle she shared with us. Martha Stewart had on her website how to make one and why it lives in a bottle...check it out...pretty cool
http://www.marthastewart.com/273101/woodland-terrarium?xsc=eml_crd_2012_01_20&om_rid=Nshufb&om_mid=_BPGWoDB8d$Kleh

Wow Patty, way to go on the food from the market...you gals are great....and everything looks wonderful

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...

http://ourgeorgiafarm.blogspot.com

Edited by - Acelady02 on Jan 20 2012 8:17:23 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 218 **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Farmgirls over age 50 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page