rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2012 :  04:49:05 AM  Show Profile
Oh Dianne, I am so sorry to hear you lost your dog. I can't imagine the hurt your daughter is feeling, she is in my prayers. Our dogs are very important to us so I understand it will take quite a while to get through this pain. And for your daughter to have witnessed it! I hope she is dealing with any feelings of guilt for the accident. I sure hope she can cope with it,poor dear.

Penny, I am glad you are on the way to being back in your good place with your dh. Hats off to you for being able to accept his short-comings, admit your needs and move forward. He is right, you will be stronger for having gone through this. It has to make you feel good that he acknowledged that he could understand your feelings. Sounds like a good guy!

Darlys, So glad to hear you are getting top notch care and many well-wishes. Hope you continue to feel better each and everyday and that we will soon be getting longer messages from you!

That Dotee doll sure is a cheerful looking gal!

Well, dh is gone (again). Home on Thursday again. I spent last night watching total junk tv. Actually, it was kinda fantastic. Like a dirty little secret! Watched those crazy housewives from OC, Tabitha making over a yogurt shop and then Joan and Melissa Rivers. How's that for a total waste of time. My chihuahua loved it. (I stayed still on the sofa for so long and she got a nice nap!)

Naturally, I'm up, have had breakfast and caught up with you gals and it not even 5 a.m. The whole chronic pain issue is not helped by hubby traveling - hence the need for the nap for the Chihuahua. The labradors don't seem so phased by my nighttime wandering...of course, the oldest one is practically deaf...

Thanks again for keeping me company at this ungodly hour, I really need you gals!
Marianne

Patty you did a great job of repurposing that playhouse! It sure doesn't look rickety anymore!
Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2012 :  05:03:31 AM  Show Profile

Patty #1840

http://ladygonegreen.blogspot.com/

A rind is a terrible thing to waste. Compost.

When they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, “Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted.”
-Jesus in John 6:12 NIV Bible
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2012 :  06:10:35 AM  Show Profile
Hi everyone.

Welcome to this wild and crazy group Cynthia. We are the best of the best and welcome you with wide open arms. As you can tell by now we are a wonderful compassionate, loving group with a good sense of humor.

Diane I am so sorry to hear about your dog, Darby. Your DD must be so sad. I hope her thumb and her heart heal soon.

Thank you Ruby for explaining what a Dotee Doll is. They are so much fun to make and take so little time and not many materials to make. They can be made by hand without using a sewing machine although I did use a sewing machine to make mine. The one thing I like about them is that they are small enough in the mail. The lady who created them intended them to only be given or traded and to never be sold.

Janiee I am proud of you for doing all the canning. I have to begin to do it for myself. Yes you are right to be thinking ahead and storing food now. I have been doing that too but not canning. I think the times call for it. My DH used to quite a bit of canning but mostly pickles and some fruits.

Marianne sorry to hear about your sleepless and painful night. You are on my prayer list girl. There isn't much worse than that pain that keeps one from sleeping. And I am from CA and lived in Orange County so the Housewives from the OC (at least those that are on the show) are something else indeed!

Patty the chicken coop looks really good. You did well.

Penny continued prayers for you and your DH. Things will continue to be better now that you have talked and expressed your feelings to him. Now that he understands what that felt like he sees more clearly. Be gentle with yourself and with time forgive.

Hugs,

Nancy #2301
Go to Top of Page

Beca
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Becky
Chino Valley Arizona
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2012 :  08:37:38 AM  Show Profile
WOW!!!

I have been gone for awhile here but now I am looking at all of the new friends that have joined!! I have been busy...and then very lazy for not being on here more.

My daughter had her second baby girl January 14th so we have been crazy busy getting ready and then waiting for her to come!!! Madison Jean is a very good baby!

I really want to thank the friends that sent me birthday cards. So nice hearing from all of you and thank you for the parsley seed packet too (I don't remember who sent them in their card). I usually don't forget things like this but...I did :(

Anyway...hi to all...I need to read and see what has been happening with you all :)

Becky

Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2012 :  09:10:25 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning everybody,

Dianne, I am so sorry about your daughter's experience with her dog. I love my little furbabies to pieces so I know how she feels and how traumatic this must be for the whole family. give her a hug for me, please, and tell her, it really will pass, grief is a tough thing but we do get through it.

Welcome new ladies, it is always great when someone new joins this forum and always sad when someone leaves.
Penny, my heart goes out to you. I am the wrong person to ge giving any relationship advice, as I seem to expect a level of commitment that I have not found. To me, it is real simple. If you do something you don't want your partner to know about, or if you do something you would not want your partner to do, it is not acceptable behavior.

Patty, I love those cute chicken houses, or I think they are called tractors when they have wheels? I am pretty good with hammer and nails but I'm scared of saws. But I can solder.

Ruby V, thanks for that website, I didn't know about those dolls either, I am going to share that link with my dollmaking group.

It's funny, nobody likes cussing or admits to it until that driver cuts in front of you. Now, girls, you know I am right!! there is definitely a line you can cross with either cussing or preaching. Moderation is a good word and that is what I try to practice. I will walk out of a movie where there is too much foul language, subject matter, or violence. Ed and I walked out of a play which was very popular, I think it was called Silvia, or something like that, and we got up and walked out, then told the theater people we would no longer support them. Now this year we are getting some very good plays, so we must not have been the only ones. There is a lot of TV that I will not watch, or even allow to be on in my house. Every year they push the envelope a little further.

Patty, love the cartoon, its so true.

Well, I shouldn't admit this to you gals just hitting the 50 mark, but my son just turned 49. He is a martial arts trainer and now a crossfit trainer. On my facebook page there is a link to his facebook with some awesome pictures of what a 49 year old can look like. His wife said she doesn't like the "bulking up" that crossfit gives her, but it sure looks good on him. My sister is only 4 years older than he is and she has so many diseases I couldn't name them all. I am trying to get facebook set up and also a blog but I haven't figured that one out yet. I am so bored with tv and not feeling well enough for any projects, so when I have access to internet I've been working on that and also indulging my passion/addiction for Pinterest.

Holly, you are right, a sense of humor will carry you through almost anything. I try to not lose mine, even though not everybody gets it. And sometimes it doesn't come across well in written form, you gotta be there.
Hope Darlys is improving. I spent yesterday babysitting my granddaughter so my daughter could go to Houston to be with her father while he went through open heart surgery. He did fine and she is coming back today. It helped me get my mind off my troubles and I took GD to Chuckie Cheese's, where it is impossible to think, much less hear, so I entertained myself by sending Darlys notes from my smartphone. I doubt she will be able to make any sense of it. She will probably think I was sitting in a bar (that's a joke).

My doctor is letting me sit on hold for over a week now so I just called his office and tried to make the girl understand that I am sitting here in a town where I do not live, need to go to my home which is 3 hours west of here, and need to go to my brother's which is 3 hours east of here, and have now suffered this misery for another month, and my primary physician told me not to wait longer than a month, could I please get somebody's attention........so she finally said ok, she would mark my message urgent. I can tolerate the misery but the fact that this ovarian cyst might be malignant is keeping me pretty well unhinged. I went to the dermatologist yesterday and got a clean bill of health for my skin, so 3-1/2 years melanoma free. She asked "Are you wearing a hat" and I said "Oh, yes, I am known as the hat lady". Of course, now that Darlys knows how much fun you can have in a hat, she is probably going to start wearing them, and she will probably have prettier hats than I do. (oops, another joke I just can't help myself.)Actually, she sent me a funny card about hats, so it's sort of an inside joke.

Everybody have a great day.

Glenda #3534
Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2012 :  10:35:35 AM  Show Profile
Hi, I just have a minute to say "Hi". I have so much on my plate right now and have been having trouble with my pc that I don't know whether I'm coming or going. My prayers are with all of you. Sorry to hear some of what is going on and hope life improves for all. I received more cards a few days ago. It was like celebrating my birthday twice without adding another year. My two friends are taking me out for a birthday lunch next Monday. That is the earliest the three of us could get together. They take me out for Chinese for my birthday and one of them we take to a tea that another friend does in her back yard in her English garden and the other has a favorite place for her lunch.

I am thankful that my hubby and I are well and can do what we do. We've been working in the garden getting it ready for spring. I've planted new roses and a couple of crinum lily's and have another climber ordered.

I too, had a problem a week ago. My hubby isn't as loyal to me as he is to the Masonic Lodge. We were setting up the tables for the dinner that we have on the first of the month and I was working with three men as well as my husband. Each one of them kept finding fault with everything I was doing. It was do this do thator I was doing it all wrong while they sat on their behinds drinking coffee. When my hubby started in on me also that I wasn't doing something right I slammed the forks and spoons down on the table and told them all if they didn't like the way I was doing it they could do it themselves and I walked out and sat in the car. Thank fully I always carry my kindle so I could read. About thirty minutes later my hubby came out but didn't say a word until we were halfway home and then he did apologize. I told him then that I would not volunteer my time again for such ungrateful people. This isn't the first time it's happened so I have had it. I didn't go to the dinner that night as I'm sure I would have been expected to clean up. Sometimes no one has stayed behind to help me. But I will not do anymore. I will continue to do the newsletter since I gave my word but if I start having problems with people complaining there then they can take it back. I think my hubby was surprised that I did what I did but I've had it. We sat at home and discussed it and I still stuck to my guns. I didn't want to have anything to do with the whole affair anyway but it was something he wanted and I've gone along with it but he's never home in the evenings anymore since he has so many duties at the Lodge as Master.

I guess we all have problem....My grandson is over Mono and is back to school half time. Thank fully while he was out sick the snow was so bad they didn't have school so he didn't miss much. My daughter and her husband still plan on moving back to CA from where they live now in WA. There health is poor and the warmer weather will help them I'm sure.

My blessings to all and have a great day.
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2012 :  10:46:05 AM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
I'm so blessed, I just received a package from the home office of MJF...can you believe they sent me something for being the FGOTM? A calendar, a small calendar a cd of flute music and the cutest card....thank you so much Meg and MaryJane...you are the best. I took this pic with my phone, I will take one of it and my other items I've received for being FGOTM with my camera and post them later today...again thanks to everyone for making me smile during these hard times....

Been 6 years today that my sweet Momma died, so I couldn't ask for anything better to make me smile than having all of you in my life. This was one of her favorite pics of herself....every time I look at pics of her I realize more and more how much I look like her....

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...

http://ourgeorgiafarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

DEW
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

Dianne
Weiser Idaho
USA
317 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2012 :  11:19:36 AM  Show Profile
Hi Everyone

Thank you for you prayers and thought. My DD is better today. I am the one who is struggling today. It will get easrier in time, but Darby will be missed for a long time.

Penny sister I am praying for you. Your marriage will be stronger after this is past. Take it from those that have been there and done that. That you two could talk it out. That he understands how he hurt you is a big step. Most marriages fail because people fail to communicate. This may also be hitting you hard because you are dealing with the withdrawls from smoking. Hence the funk you have been in. I know money is tight (it is for a lot of us) is there something that the two of you use todo that you have not done in a while? My DH and I take off for a hike or a drive when we need time and a different view than our house. Think about something crazy for valentines.

Darlys glad you are up to popping on. We love you and you are in my prayers. Card is in the mail. LOL

Patty those are so cute. You really are tallented.
Love the poster. That is so true.

Marianne I hate when pain keeps me up. I am always groggy the next day. Brain dead!! LOL I hope you get better soon.

Becky congrats on the new baby. Enjoy the gbaby. They are so much fun.

Glenda I am with you. Someone cuts me off I can say some things I would not say in public. But I don't like a lot of foul language. I am always telling the teens I work with to watch there language.
Oh speaking of teens. Yesterday i was late back to work. (I almost didn't come back because of the accident.) In my afternoon class I asked them to please behave better today because of my DD and our dog getting hit. They were finre for a while then 2 of them started in. I said what part of my asking you to behave did you not understand? They both looked at me and said they were sorry. The one of the boys asked if I liked Tulips? I said yes. He said he would bring me some and the other one (Not wanting to be out done) said he would bring me chocolate. Now if they were only serious. LOL

Betty you go girl! You had every right to walk out. A suggetion is one thing but complaing about the way you do something when you are a volenter will not be tolerated. They needed a wake up call.

The day is gray and so is my mood. Lighter though for having spent time with all of you.

Dianne (ID)
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2012 :  11:23:59 AM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
I'm listening to the cd of flute music, now this has never been one of my favorite musics....I like words...but I got to tell you that this is so beautiful and I guess my taste has changed and I didn't even know it....I can't believe how soothing this music is...I think I will keep it playing in the back ground all the time.

Patty, love the chicken coop....you are very handy with the tools..you go girl.
and I love the pic of Over 50 girls...I shared it on FB...just had to it is such a good one.

Nancy, If I ever get to FL again, I am going to make sure to come see you...I really wish I could meet all of you...someday maybe.

Becca, congrats on the new grandbaby, I know you can't wait....and we can't wait for pics....so please don't forget to post some as soon as you can.

Glenda, thank you for the words even tho you don't think you can give advice you can...I saw the pics of your Son...hard to believe he is 49. I'm sorry the Dr. is making you wait...sometimes I don't think they realize how awful that is...the not knowing...keep us posted.

Betty, I'm sorry you are having to go through that with your husband. It amazes me that men are that way. We give our all sometimes and they just don't appreciate it sometimes. Good for you for sticking up for yourself...we all have to do that...we get taken advantage of and for some reason they don't even see it...I'm glad you let him know....hopefully things will be better now.

I have shared with my DH the things all of you had said because he told me the other day that if I asked anyone that they would say I was being foolish for feeling this way...I read to him what I wrote to ya'll after our talk yesterday and now he sees where he was wrong about that. (that is the reason I brought my problem to ya'll to see if my feelings were wrong) I know he didn't feel he was doing anything wrong at the time...but now he sees how wrong it was. I'm blessed that he has seen the light. Jealousy has nothing to do with this, it is the lack of respect of keeping something from me that is the problem. I really don't care he has female friends, has never bothered me...keeping her a secret was the problem and now he sees that. I'm sure nothing like this will ever happen again...so we can move on...and grow stronger because of it.. I have been married before and never had the trust I had with him....so this is why this pains me so...I don't want doubts in my marriage so I will work on getting the doubts out of my head...in time that is...

Again, I love each of you for being a part of my life. You get me through my bad days and make my happy days even happier....thank you all....

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...

Edited by - Acelady02 on Feb 08 2012 12:38:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2012 :  11:43:10 AM  Show Profile
Ruby, thanks for the Dotee Doll site. Wow!So many! Amazing!
Patty, love the "Lil Old Ladies" over 50 pic. Thanks for sharing that!

Ok...the other day I went upstairs and happened to look in a mirror and I had a pair of glasses on my head and a pair on a chain around my neck. I of course cracked up at the sight. Then I put another pair on my collar and had my DH take a pic. Come on, admit it, you've done this too!
I titled it: "Where did I put my Glasses?"

Try to have a Good Day Ya'll!

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
"Why couldn't I have been born Rich instead of So Good Looking?"
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2012 :  12:04:05 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Oh Judy, Look at you...I'm sure that is something I would do if I didn't already wear glasses...but when I use to where contacts ALL THE TIME...I still had to use reading glassed until my DR fit me with one close up and one far away contact...now when I wear my contacts I don't need reading glasses...but I love the pic and I'm sure there are others out there that can relate.

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2012 :  12:27:35 PM  Show Profile
Judy, you are so funny! I don't have the problem with glasses as I wear them all the time. But I have searched for my car keys and then realized they were in my hands. Scary!

Love the dotee dolls. thanks for the website and info.

I can't keep up with everyone's names. There are so many here!

Penny, I love the picture of your mom. Interesting how we start to look like our moms. Sometimes it's a good thing, sometimes not.
I'm glad you were able to talk to DH about your feelings. Even more important that he listened. My first husbands eyes would glaze over and I knew he wasn't really there in the conversation. At least you did something before it got out of hand for both of you.

Darlys, so glad you are home and on the mend. I hope it's not too personal, but I don't know what kind of surgery you had.

Betty, I'm so proud of you walking out on the good ole boys like that. I think they take their wives for granted in those groups. I see so many "mens" clubs like that and the wives are doing all the work while the guys are drinking beer and socializing. It's one thing to support them, another to be taken advantage of.

Dianne, glad DD is doing better. Losing Darby that way is hard on everyone. Thankful your daughters angels were working over time.

Patty, so cool about the chicken coop. It looks great! I think it's great you are able to do the work yourself.

Glenda, I agree about the swearing in movies and plays. However, sometimes a good swear word says it all. I try not to swear around people though. I hate to hear your issues with the Doctor. I feel sometimes they forget we are feeling human beings. To them we are just another file. Keep at it. You are your own best advocate.

here is a little color therapy for everyone. I'm working on making these little crochet flowers to put on scarves and hats I'm making. (hopefully to sell).

Farmgirl number 3738

www.bunnyrose.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2012 :  12:29:30 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Dianne, you are prob. right the "funk" might have to do with not smoking but I think the meds have helped alot with that...I think it is more because Jan being Mom's anniversary, birthday and day my stepdad died (23, 23, 25) and then Feb 9 (today) being the day she died...we were very very close and I miss her daily...so this funk is more because of that...but I am glad that DH and I can talk about this...one of the other reason this has been tough, we have ALWAYS been able to talk about any thing and everything, so I though...we will get back to that place...I'm sure....last week before all this happened I told him what I wanted for Valentines day....when he got a strange look on his face when I said all I wanted was for us to bake a chocolate cake together....to share that time in the kitchen which we use to do.... I wish Jim could go for walks with me...I would love that...but with his disability he can't...but when the weather gets warmer maybe we will be able to motorcycle riding again...he has been able to do that with out pain or trouble with his back...so we will get everything back to where it was...I have no doubt...thank you all for caring as you do...Don't know what I would do without ya'll

Dianne, I really hope you and your DD will be ok with the lose of Darby...you are in my prayers...hope the kids behave the rest of the week too...

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

Edited by - Acelady02 on Feb 08 2012 12:30:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

janiee
True Blue Farmgirl

820 Posts

Janie
Shawnee Oklahoma
USA
820 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2012 :  12:54:48 PM  Show Profile
hey gals, am praying for all of you daily. so many needs but our Father is able to take care of them, isn't He?
figured out that i cannot pressure can anything right now. my mini pressure cooker/canner only holds 1/2 pint jars so i am hoping that i will get a irs refund and be able to purchase one large enough for my needs.
work is going ok. my boss is going thru a divorce and is almost having a stroke. i feel so sorry for him and wish i could say something to help him thru this pain in his life. when i found my dh dead in the backyard and i called him, he and 2 others immediately came to help me and i will never forget that.
since i had to slow down on my canning plans, i have looked at some quilt websites today. one of them - fabric therapy - i think is my new favorite. she has so much fabric! i use to but when i started painting to sell items, i gave away 20 paper size boxes of fabric to my friends and the books. wish i could find some of the older books but that is ok - am going to make do with what i have. i just need to organize it better than it is now. i think if i could get it to be useful organized, then i could start accomplishing things again. right now, by the time i get home and feed and water the 4 furbabies, cook and clean the kitchen and me - i don't feel like searching for anything to do. anyway, it is a good website to visit if you like to quilt.
congrats penny on fgotm! you deserve it - you have always been so encouraging to me ..
got to go back to work
janiee
farmgirl #390
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2012 :  3:23:08 PM  Show Profile
Penny,congrats on FGOTM, and I LOVE the pic of your mom, I know I would have enjoyed knowing her.

Judy--you crack me up---this pic reminded me of the icicle pic you posted way back.

I'm starting to catch up here and soon as I can get back home and gather up my card making stuff i will start catching up on the bdays. those cute little dolls would make nice little bday card tuck-ins but if the card wont run thru the PO automatic machines they charge extra postage so i will try to watch that. when the postage costs more than what you are sending it seems time to rethink things.

Penny, did you see the utube clip on Don's facebook of him teaching the kids martial arts? the littlest guy is Ben, his son, my adorable GS. he's the little guy at the end of the line, my DIL made the video and the background music is my son's, too, so its a family production. and did you listen to any of his songs linked on my wall? he wrote them and sang most of them. no I'm not just proud, I'm downright obnoxious about it---

Bunny, Im with you--I try to save my swear words for extreme situations. But sometimes when my buttons get pushed enough....I just have to let'er rip.....

jainee thanks for the quilt link. I am just lying around at Ed's bored so I am spending lots of computer time the next 2 days. really frustrated that I dont have a project with me. I went to Michaels and bought crochet thread and hook but I've never crocheted thread, just yarn, and this seems so tedious, but i wanted to add little crocheted pieces to my cards. Our doll group dyed lace last year and I thought I would do white tiny doilies and dye them. hand dyed is so much prettier than store bought.
Dianne, hang in there my dear, this too shall pass. When I lost my little doxie years ago I cried for weeks and even dreamed about her for a long time. i am sure our pets will be in heaven to greet us when we arrive. Betty, it is always good to hear from you. A belated happy bday frm me. and the others I have missed. I cant wait to get home and see all my craft stuff again. I did not realize how much making art means to me. I think it keeps me sane, that is, if i am sane, which is debatable.
Holly, I never did find out how you heat that big house--must take a lotta wood.

Glenda #3534

Edited by - doll58maker on Feb 08 2012 3:47:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2012 :  5:26:31 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

Patty you are clever at the recycling old stuff into useful items. I am more apt to make from scratch than redo. Although I do take apart and use the wood over. I have some 4" x4" long pieces that I have used for three of four different projects the last twenty years. I am surprised how long they have lasted. The metal roof for the old green house has been used several times as well. NOw that I know how to cut metal with my circular saw I can fit the metal to the building instead of building the building to fit under the roof.

Iam glad people pop back in even if they are unable to keep up on a daily basis. I have not seen Thelma on here lately but I did see a van from Iowa down in Montpelier over the weekend and wondered if she and Santa were traveling to relax after the rush of the holidays was over. lol

We heat the house with three kinds of heat. Years ago we only used wood. There were old sliding glass doors in the living room. I would wake up in the morning and it would be 48 degrees. I put inch foam boards covered with cloth so the little white beads could not be picked out and the temperature in the mornings would be 62. When we moved in the heat was baseboard electric. The house that was here when we moved in was put in in the 60's when electricity was supposed to be so cheap. We only turned it on once for 24 hours and the bill went up $142 that month. So, in the first year we had a chimney put in and used about 8 cords of wood. Just before Kethry was born, that would be 15 years ago now we had baseboard forced hot water from an oil furnace put in. I keep it set at 58 and use the woodstove to make the air a comfortable temperature. In the back of the house by all of those big beautiful windows we had a propane stove put in to keep the back of the house warm. The heat from that rises and warms the upstairs as well. So, three kinds of heat to warm this old ark.

Betty I am glad you walked out. Some people just do not appreciate help until they do not have it. I think women are used to helping out without being asked. Do what you feel is right for you and try not to let yourself be sweet talked into something that burns your heart.

I am beginning to get jealous of those of you who can work outside now. I do need to go out and knock down some more trees for this years heating wood. I need to think about what I want to build this year. I have spoken to a man in town about digging a foundation hole for me to try sliding frame stone masonry for my new green house. I have been wondering if it would be at all feasible or reasonable to put a rootcellar under the greenhouse. How would I put on the roof of the root cellar to cover with several feet of dirt to make the growing area of the greenhouse. A while ago my brother told me to get a half drain pipe (the huge ones that move water under the roads)and use it in the ground for a root cellar and cover it with dirt. If I used that under the green house I would need to still make a foundation for the walls of the green house to sit on so they would not rot. Any ideas?

Judy you are too funny with the glasses. I did not wear mine full time I would be like you.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2012 :  6:18:40 PM  Show Profile
Holly, you might try searching Backwoods Home archives and see if they might have info on root cellars,I guess they are still around. I dont know how you are going to water your greenhouse without having a moisture problem in the root cellar.

Glenda #3534
Go to Top of Page

CountryKim
True Blue Farmgirl

66 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
66 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2012 :  6:34:20 PM  Show Profile
penny, congrats on being FGOTM and all your neat-o goodies!!

Forever farmgirl

http://midwestmusings-kim.blogspot.com/
http://throughethelseyes.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2012 :  6:35:26 PM  Show Profile
Penny, THAT is a lovely picture of your Mama! She just lights up when she smiles! How old was she when she passed away My Dear?
Glenda, you remembered that icicle pic? Wow!

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
"Why couldn't I have been born Rich instead of So Good Looking?"
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2012 :  7:12:28 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Judy, she was 70...she always said she wanted to make it till she was 70 and she did, she died 2 wks later...she was very sick, she had COPD and her last few months were very bad....she is better off now, at least she is not in pain anymore and I'm sure she is happy.This is my favorite picture of us. I think it was taken in 2004 or 05

Oh Glenda, I know you would have love knowing my Momma, she was a hoot....one of the most loving and funny woman I know...she was so warm and caring....she was such a giver too...I have learned so much from her...I just wish that I could have had her around longer...but I know she is better off now...

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

Edited by - Acelady02 on Feb 08 2012 7:17:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2012 :  7:17:35 PM  Show Profile
Gosh, I just didn't get much done today. I made some veggie soup and put some apples in the dehydrator. It was too cold too work outside on the coops. I had 2 phone calls from ladies wanting some guidance on there computers. So of course, both also had questions about pintrest, and both times I ended up on pinterest for at least an hour. But oh my, have I found some wonderful ideas. I found some great recipes for artisan bread. http://theitaliandishblog.com/imported-20090913150324/2010/2/26/amazing-artisan-bread-for-40-cents-a-loaf-no-kneading-no-fus.html I have some rising now.
I had not heard of the Dotee Dolls. But I am so interested now, and my mind has just been boggled with ideas for different themed Dotee Dolls. And they can be made from everything recycled! Something that I am all about...lol. I may make one yet this evening. :)

I am so excited this evening. I was lucky enough to nab the re-purposed picnic plate holders purse! I can hardly wait to get it! http://www.raisingjane.org/journal/10538

Judy- Too funny... I have so done that with my glasses! I have been known to have the phone to my ear and say to the person I talking with... "I can't find my phone anywhere". Thanks for sharing the pictures!

Have a good evening ladies...back to finish cleaning up the kitchen and fold a load of laundry before bed.

Patty #1840

http://ladygonegreen.blogspot.com/

A rind is a terrible thing to waste. Compost.

When they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, “Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted.”
-Jesus in John 6:12 NIV Bible
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2012 :  7:33:39 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Patty, thanks for the bread link, I also make an artisan bread, that doesn't require much kneading, I really like it and it is so easy and my DH favorite it is yeast, 1/2 bread flour, 1/2 plain flour and honey and salt....I use my kitchenaid mixer and then let rise and bake...yours seems like it is even easier...I'm going to have to try it...I'm excited...I love baking bread.

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2012 :  03:58:22 AM  Show Profile
Hello Girlies!

It was so nice to have so much to catch up with on the forum! Judy, your eyeglass photo is a bit too close for comfort for me. I am battling the fact that I didn't take my optometrist's advice and go for bifocals and the switching back and forth of glasses to see close and then distance is seriously annoying. But, your photo is so funny!

Glenda, I am so sorry that you are waiting to get such important news. How doctors and their staff can be so insensitive is very frustrating. I am praying that you get your answer soon. And hats off to you for spending the day at Chuck E Cheese! Kids love the place, but still ...

Penny, I lost my mom in July 2006 and my biggest surprise has been how the loss has not faded over time. We were very much alike and talked daily. She was one of the first "feminist" around the small farming community where she lived. The photo of your mom is gorgeous, but, my goodness the one of the two of you together really radiates joy. I am sorry your loss is so close to the surface right now. Many congratulations on not smoking, you must be so proud. And I am so glad to hear you are mending with dh. He would be crazy to take a chance at losing you. Keeping you in my prayers.

Patty, what a great nab on the purse. It is adorable and my goodness, it's gonna be famous!!! I may just have to give the bread recipes a try. Is there anything that smells better than bread baking?

My husband gets home tonight! (It must be Thursday.) He travels mostly on Southwest Airlines. They use little red swizzle sticks with a heart shape at the end in their coffee and mixed drinks. When I was making the last trip to see my mom (her death was emiminent and I was hoping I wouldn't be too late.) I sat next to an older gentleman on the plane. He noticed I was a bit rattled and we talked a bit. At the end of the flight he handed me the tiny red heart from the end of the swizzle stick from his coffee and told me that he always saved these hearts to hand to the person he met that day that seemed to need a pick me up the most. As he gave it to me, he said that he knew I would have the chance to say good bye to my mother, that he just knew she was waiting for me and to give her this heart.

Well, I did get the chance to say good bye and everything else I wanted to say. Mom wasn't really conscious but I know she knew I was there. I told her about the gentleman and tucked the heart into the pocket of her hospital gown that was just over her heart - almost like it was there for little plastic red swizzle stick hearts. It was such a silly little thing, but it touched me deeply that this man took the time to listen and react to my heartache. ANYWAY, ever since then, my dh has brought me his heart home from his trips. Tonight when I go to bed, I will probably find a tiny red heart on my pillow ... or maybe by my toothbrush tomorrow morning ... next to my coffee cup, somewhere. And I will feel wonderful!! I save them in a jar that is on the window sill in my kitchen. It is a great thing to see when I AGAIN have to clean the crusty yellow crud off the mustard jar after my husband has used it!

So everyone, Valentine's Day is coming up. Who has plans?

Have a great day!
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

Cooknnana
True Blue Farmgirl

213 Posts

Kathryn
Chandler OK
USA
213 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2012 :  12:47:46 PM  Show Profile
I hit my 51st just this January and while I never pictured myself at this age...I have to say, I don't mind it one bit. I, apparently look good enough to be, at times, mistaken for for my granddaughters' mother, but old enough to not be carded for ordering a glass of wine. Whoo-hoo, I truly have arrived now, huh?
The unfortunate part is, I have to come up with ideas on how to keep doing what I love...gardening. I am not one of those who still have physical capabilities; I can't get on the ground anymore and once I'm down I can't get back up. I have been trying for some time to come with some ideas and I'm drawing a blank...so, I need help. Anyone with ideas that are free (I have no real income) and easy to put together (I'm by myself, so I have to be able to do it alone), I'm all ears.

If there is a will, there's a way; find your way
Go to Top of Page

CountryKim
True Blue Farmgirl

66 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
66 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2012 :  5:22:07 PM  Show Profile
Kathryn, there is a good article in the recent issue of Urban Farm on gardening in pots. Maybe if you can find an old table and some free pots on Craig's List it would help you get a start?

Marianne, what a great story! ((hugs))

Forever farmgirl

http://midwestmusings-kim.blogspot.com/
http://throughethelseyes.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 218 **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Farmgirls over age 50 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page