thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2012 :  12:09:54 PM  Show Profile
Darlys- You snuck in there and posted while I was busy preparing my post! I am so glad you checked in with us. You are missed for sure! Get better soon!

Patty #1840

http://ladygonegreen.blogspot.com/

A rind is a terrible thing to waste. Compost.

When they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, “Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted.”
-Jesus in John 6:12 NIV Bible
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2012 :  3:06:53 PM  Show Profile
Hi Gals!
Marianne, the hearts story....so sweet...and the part about your Mama... even sweeter. I am so blessed to still have my mama. She's so special to me and we are so close!
Kathryn,Welcome! I'd like to say Happy LATE Birthday to You!!! I just had on on the 2nd of this month. We Jan/Feb. Gals are "hotties"....we have to be ...or we'd freeze to death!!! Say....we need a "Hottie-Dotie" ROFL
I'd say for you to use a table and some pots for gardening too. And a rotating, padded stool like I have at my kitchen island...just for comfort,when you spend long,wonderful hours there, planting! Is there any better place to while away the hours.....besides on here with us, that is!/? *giggle*
Susan, that's the same thing my man said when I joined MJFarm! Aren't men funny...the little "Dears!" I mean....as if.....Oh...and Welcome Back!Next time, don't stay away so long!lol
Glenda, that's such good news about your Brother being able to swallow a little. Praise God! Baby steps....right?
awwwwww.....poor Darlys, this is so hard on you! Extra Prayers going up for you! You do what you're told though, no shinanigans, ya hear? Don't make me come out there! *giggle*
Glenda, why don't we both give (clumboy)Chris a holler....maybe she'll answer one of us. ~~teehee~~
Hi Thelma, wondered where you got off to. Thought maybe you fell off the face of the Earth! hahaha Glad yer back!
Well, I got up to more snow this morning and upper teens. We're expecting another snow-storm tonight or tomorrow. We're making up for all the "Lost Snow" we haven't gotten so far. I'm glad...I don't want drought and bugs this summer, like they mentioned on the news! Yuck!
Well, keep warm Girlies! Put on an extra blanket and have another cuppa!
Love Yuns!

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
"Why couldn't I have been born Rich instead of So Good Looking?"

Edited by - herblady55 on Feb 12 2012 3:15:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2012 :  4:22:30 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

Thank you for the description of how to use the toilet paper tubes. Toilet paper sure is expensive for something that can not be reused. I wish now that I had been saving the silly things all winter long. I used to use juice cans from the truck load sales that Agway used to have. Agway has not had a truckload sale on frozen food in twenty years I bet so the juice cans are all worn out. I do use five gallon buckets for tomatoes on the porch and I think I might start the tomatoes right in the pails this year. Two years ago when Ross was two he picked all of the green tomatoes and chucked them over the railing. A good arm he has even back then. This last summer he ate all of the tomatoes as they ripened. This next summer I am hoping that some of the tomatoes make it into the kitchen. I started putting them on the porch because the chickens were eating them down in the garden. This year I am going to have raised beds. Well, we are starting to put in raised beds using the lumber from the torn off porch. The beds are supposed to be 32 inches high. I am going to make the corner posts higher so I can put remay or chicken wire on the extra to keep out the cabbage moths and the chickens. Big plans, I love having big plans.

I have hundreds of daffodil bulbs that continue to multiply each year. The bulbs were planted by the woman who lived in the house by the pond. The house fell into disrepair and was torched in the sixties. I think it had been empty for twenty years or more before that. After the bulbs come up and do there thing I could dig up a clump and mail them to people if you let me know. I am not sure what the rules are for mailing plants west of the Rockies.

Glenda you could get some old bicycle wheels from the dump and attach them to your coops with big bolts from the hardware store. Use two washers close to the building and one by the nut use a lock nut to hold the wheel on . I think if you are not planning on moving the houses very far in one jaunt this should do the trick. Put a couple of handles on the far end.

Darlys I am glad you are healing. It sure does rot to be layed up during spring. Maybe your spring will be a long one.

It is too cold for us to grow forsythia. some people who have it planted in protected corners can grow it up here. We had it when I was a child and it was the first to bloom.

Patty I think your weekly shopping trips for a group of friends is great. I like to hear about it even if you are too far away for me to participate.

Judy you send some of the most amazing emails.

Sweet dreams everyone,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2012 :  4:30:36 PM  Show Profile
SIL & BIL coming w/ Chinese food. Life is good after all

Sister #3284 - on her Tippie Toes - oxox, Darlys

Chocolate Kisses ...

That is the best ... to laugh with someone because you both think the same things are funny.
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2012 :  5:02:53 PM  Show Profile
Yummm! Chinese food is good!!!! I made pork chops tonight, and homemade cinnamon rolls. So good. Good idea with the toilet paper rolls. I have been saving them for close to a year now, so do have alot of them. Will try the seed starters in them.
Janet

Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2012 :  5:04:43 PM  Show Profile
Holly, Ross reminds me of my twins Jake and John 25 years ago. We could never ripen the tomatoes on the picnic table.

Patty #1840

When they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, “Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted.”
Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2012 :  10:33:35 PM  Show Profile
Can't sleep - just one of those nights. I am sooooooooo so jealous of you gals who are already gardening. It will be the second week of May before I can plant much outside except for cool weather things which I plant in late April. My windows are full of houseplants and I will soon plant my herb pots so I can watch things grow.

Holly - you said you are raising you garden beds. I don't know about Vermont chickens, but Iowa chickens can fly upward and into raised beds-------giggle! The tomato story was cute. I can just see a little kid doing that. Charlie, our outside dog loves tomatoes, but we plant so many that the few he steals don't matter much.

Headed for Hobby Lobby as soon as I can get out of here in the morning. Wanted to finish my quilt top this afternoon, but ran out of fabric. I just bought it 2 weeks ago so hope they still have some on the shelf. Just need enough for 3" borders around the outside. I knew I should have purchased more, but at the time was only going to use it for accent color. As My quilt developed it became a main color.

Penny - congrats on becoming the February FGOTM. I did a little happy dance for you . You really got a great gift from Judy. You are both pretty special ladies!

Darlys - I am glad that you are feeling better. I understand your frustration at having to watch the world go by for awhile without participating. No fun at all!!!!! Get better. You will be back to 'movin and grovin' soon.

Glenda - it is so nice having you back. I missed you and was really worried about your welfare. Hang in there. You surgery will be scheduled soon and you will be joining Darlys in the 'watching the world go by without participating' club soon. Just get better!!!!!!

good night ya all! Stay happy - stay healthy - enjoy each day as it comes - and do something special for someone today.

Edited by - Thelma on Feb 12 2012 10:49:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2012 :  05:35:31 AM  Show Profile
Good morning.

Judy I like your idea about the padded, rotating stool. I can use one for the amount of time I am at the kitchen counter preparing food sometimes. I never thought I would enjoy cooking after doing it all those years when my kids were growing up. My DH enjoys my cooking so much and is so thankful after eating that I actually like making meals for him. I know so many woman who refuse to do much cooking and want to eat out all the time. I like my own food better mostly because I know what I put in it and how it is prepared.'

Holly I love daffodils. I don't know how well they grow here in Florida. In CA I had them in my garden and I know how those bulbs multiply. If you can send any I would like some.
That story about Ross eating all the tomatoes is funny. I am sure your "big plans" will work out this year and you will be able to enjoy some of your tomatoes.

I remember one year when I was living in a house with French doors in the living room I had grown a tomato bush next to house. The doors were open and I was sitting looking out into the backyard and all of sudden this black rat comes sneaking across the threshold really slow with his head down low and his rear up high. He heads straight for the tomato bush to get himself some nice ripe tomatoes. He looked just like a cartoon rat ....one that Walt Disney would have drawn in one of his films. Everytime I think of that rat sneaking across that doorway like that in slow motion I have to smile.

Patty what a cute picture of your boys. Seems tomatoes are enjoyed by almost all .

Thelma so glad that you are back with us. I missed your posts. I know how it is making a quilt and not having enough of a fabric that you need. That happened to me the last quilt I made for my youngest GD. Thank goodness the store did have more of the fabric I needed. I didn't want to start learning to quilt and resisted it for such a long time. Then I finally made one for my oldest GD. Then I made one for the middle GD. Then I made one for the youngest GD. So now... yep! I like making quilts, just like I knew I would and now I want to make one for my DD. Except she wants a king size one for her bed. Mama will do it.

Well got to go. The Best Buy store is coming to bring out to set up out new TV. TA DA

Hugs,

Nancy #2301

Laughing is good exercise. It is like jogging on the inside.
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2012 :  1:05:44 PM  Show Profile
...mmmmmmmmmmmm......love chinese food, especially the crunchy, sauteed veggies. DH gets General Tso's chicken and we share, along with Wonton soup. Yum! Great meal! And no matter what we order, they always say,"10 minute!" Not minutes....minute! lol
Cute pic of the twins!

Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2012 :  03:37:38 AM  Show Profile
Happy Valentine's Day!! Hope everyone gets a special bit of love today and maybe some chocolate (don't forget that is what pays the bills in our house ... hubby has been "in" chocolate for 27 years.)

So good to hear from you Darlys -- A little jealous over the Chinese food. Hope you continue to mend and that your pain is minimal.

Nancy you are the bravest gal around if you can sit calmly while a rat sneaks up and eats your tomatoes. Mice, rats anything with one of those kind of tails are my undoing. Oh good lord, I want to stand up and shake all over just thinking about it. Agh! I can't stand those little critters.

Susan and Judy, I got such a laugh out of the MaryJane Farming comment your dh's made. It never occured to me to put that together ... duh ... but, it is so hilarious!!

Penny I have been so slow is responding to your comment on the "heart" story. I am so touched that it affected you and so grateful that you shared that with me. It prompted me to share your post (about my post) with both my husband and daughter. We all ended up in tears ... my daughter never knew the story of the gentleman on the plane. I don't know how I had overlooked telling her. She was very distraught over the loss of her favorite grandmother, so I just think it never came up or she just doesn't remember. i really can't say. Anyway, it was funny to have her say, "I never understood why you were so darn happy that Dad was sucking down mixed drinks on the airplanes ..." To which, my husband said, "Hey! I ask for coffee with cream, which I don't want, so that I can get the swizzle stick. You don't have to have a mixed drink!" The laugh was good for us all.

Later that day, my daughter told me that she never knew that I felt there were things I needed to say to my mom before she passed. And followed that comment with saying that she would have no regrets of things left unsaid if one of us passed because she and I have always told each other how we feel. It really made my heart sing.

So, Penny, how nice that you thanked me for sharing my story, but the real thank you is the one I owe you. Or maybe it is just the lesson relearned that anytime you open yourself up to help another you are really helping yourself.

I so value the friendships I am making here. Thank you all for accepting me into this group.

Marianne
Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2012 :  03:58:31 AM  Show Profile
Good morning, that darn old groundhog sure let old man winter know that his job was not over. We managed to get a good 4 inches of snowfall last night. Our first real snowfall of the year. Yesterday I went took my cousin to the dr. She fell down the stairs and broke her back a couple of weeks ago. She is able to get around but will have to have a procedure done called Vertebroplasty. She will have to have cement injected into her vertebrae. We stopped at a thrift store on the way home and I was able to find a pair of almost new carhart coveralls with a hood for $8.00. What a steal! I also found a 'head" to display the chemo turbans that our FG group makes.
The next few days will be busy. One of my best friends, father passed away of a heart attack last night. I grew up with her and worked for her parents in their music store and apple orchard. He will so be missed. I will make a few dishes to take to the house today. I think I will take some meatballs in the crockpot with some sub buns, and a pasta salad. I will make a pie from my own peaches. I will take a gallon of tea and a can of coffee as well. Up early, I should be able to get it there early. Dalous is going with me and clean off the snow for them.
I made my first Dotee doll yesterday. What fun! I picked out loads of scraps that I think will make cute dolls.
Well, off I go. Have a good day.

Patty #1840

Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2012 :  05:26:46 AM  Show Profile
Good morning!!! Woke up to just a dusting of snow on the ground, but 23 degrees instead of 3 yesterday!!!! I don't think we got 10 inches of snow all winter here, but that is okay, maybe we will have a spring. I usually bypasses us into summer starting in July!!!! We cannot plant delicate things here until Father's Day, so that makes it a very short growing season.
Happy Valetnine's Day to you all!!!! Hope your day is blessed with lots of love and goodies. I am going to make some heart sugar cookies and peanut butter chocolates---- better than boughten candy!!!

Janet

Farmgirl Sister #3340

Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2012 :  09:33:21 AM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Happy Valentine's day to all my farmgirls. I hope you get everything you want today. I am making homemade spaghetti sauce from our tomatoes that I put up this past summer with deer meat. Also homemade pasta(my first time) I've ask DH to take pics of me making the pasta so I can put it on my blog.

Judy, I like your Mama too...the letter she sent me was so sweet...I hope she is doing good. Tell her hello for me...I am glad that you got the snow...I like it as long as it comes and goes in a day or two. I don't know I could live where it snows all the time...I love it from a distance...lol I am really enjoying my tea, I have found some that I really like and want to get more of in the future...thanks again for the variety, I'm loving the tea brewer..it such a great gadget...and oh how I love gadgets.lol

Holly, I used toilet paper tubes last year for part of my seeds, it really works really well. I am so amazing of all the things you do..you are so handy and seem to have alot of energy, if you can bottle that energy will you send me some. lol I love the story about the tomatoes...kids are something aren't they? Daffodils are my favorite flower. I took a pic of the ones that came up in our back yard last month.

Darlys and Janet, we love chinese food too...

Thelma, we get to plant in April here too...I'm like you, my windows will be full too. Here is a pic of last years plants.

Nancy, I hope you don't mind but I placed the pins that Judith sent me and the ones from Judy on the back of the Dotee doll you sent...she looks like she has won many awards now...I have all the things showing the love you ladies have shown me all in one place...I have her hanging on my desk lamp so I see her all the time...She really makes me smile everyday. I started a quilt once...still have it in a bag, maybe one day I will finish it...I love quilts..so pretty and you know that everyone is made with love.

Patty, I really love the pics of the twins...so cute..I am sorry you are going through so much right now..Prayers for your friends family. So sweet of you and Dalous to take food and clean off the snow...enjoy the snow...but please keep it there...lol

Marianne, I want to thank you for the wonderful words. I thank you for telling me about you telling your DH and DD about the posts. I think you have a great way with words...you really do touch me with your words and I want you to know how much it means to me. So your DH has been involved with chocolate...yummy, must be nice to have chocolate so readily available..lol..Thank you for your sweet words...I am also very blessed to have made wonderful friends here.

I've started the spaghetti sauce and going to start the pasta in a few hours...I watched a lot of video's and really found one that explained it so well...I'm determined that even if this first batch doesn't turn out just right, that I won't give up...I know it will take practice just like when I started making bread 30+ years ago.

I guess I need to tell ya'll I broke down and smoked during the problems with DH...but I'm back on track now...so even though it was for a couple of days I feel I have to start counting from day one. DH feels really bad that the stress from that situation pushed me to it...I thought I was stronger but I guess I couldn't take it...it was harder for me..but we are back on track and things are going really good. Thank ya'll for being here for me...and please don't give up on me. I want this so much and disappointing ya'll has been hard on me...I value ya'll so much. I felt I had to tell ya'll about this...I feel better now...I bought a pack of cig. and didn't go back to smoking a pack a day because I really didn't want to go back to how it was before I quit...just one or two a day...so now I'm out and today is day 1....

What a great day to quit again..Valentine's Day!!!!!

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...

http://ourgeorgiafarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2012 :  09:50:17 AM  Show Profile
Good afternoon everyone,

Happy Valentine's Day to all of you.

I liked the picture of the twins and the tomatoes. The littles sure are funny. It is how we survive teenagehood by remembering how nice they were. lol

Our last frost is usually the last of May. We can count on a frost by the second week of September. Our growing season seems a little longer than Jan's. Last year it was longer because the snow went away early adn we actually had a spring. Mud season was shorter as well. Black flies were minimal. we can hope for that this year. I am looking out the window and the weather pattern and it seems we might have spring early this year as well. People say you should start your seeds indoors on Town Meeting Day which is the first Tuesday in March. Plants are pretty big by put out time if you do. The house is pretty close to being taken over by plants then.

Janet, thank you for the Valentine card. It gave me a big smile.

I have been baking our bread for the last two months or so. We used to go buy three loaves every two days. I think we are saving about $40 a week by my baking. the children like it better as well. Today dd told me that I needxed to make pizza bread because we had pepperoni now and the raisin bread was almost gone so I needed to make more. She had a big smile on her face when she said it.

Talie had a basketball game last night and another tonight as well. The season will end soon. Then we gear up for baseball season which lasts until October with all fo the leagues he plays in.

Have a good day.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

janiee
True Blue Farmgirl

820 Posts

Janie
Shawnee Oklahoma
USA
820 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2012 :  10:43:01 AM  Show Profile
hi ya'll!
been reading and catching up with all of you. Penny, i am sorry that you "fell off the wagon" but proud of you that you started again! it is a learing process and it just takes time but you can do it~!
Nancy, read your post about the rat and have to tell you my rat story. I have two small dogs that I let out in the back yard to do their "thing". They are always bringing something back in the house that I have to pick up and throw away. usually it is a bird they have killed or a lizard (small) and i have gotten to where i can pick those up and deal with them. One night not too long ago, the oldest, Sally, brought something in and I just ignored it for awhile. The next time i let them out, i was talking on the phone to my mom and told her that sally had brought in the largest lizard i have ever seen and it was dead and i needed to deal with it. got off the phone and went for a closer look and it was a dead rat! looked like it had been run over by a car which is why i first thought it was a lizard. My blood pressure shot up and i ran for the broom and the dust pan and after a few tries managed to scoop it up and put it in the garbage can outside. Now I make the dogs go thru inspection before i let them back in the house! hehehehehe
the flowers look so pretty and i love the picture of the two tots and tomatoes. looks like something my siblings would have done back in those days.
work is still being slow. new superintendent is wanting to close 7 campuses to save money and that just brings everything to a standstill almost (except the testing--tests never wait).
hope everyone has a good day today!
hugs
janiee
farmgirl #390
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2012 :  1:06:29 PM  Show Profile
Penny, Am proud of you for getting back on the saddle and your quit. Let's just say the first one was "practice". My dr. used to tell me to NEVER QUIT QUITTING!!!! Those words stuck in my head until I could finally quit for good. Take one day, one hour, one minute at a time. Slow deep breaths help the urges. I used to be a leader of an online group called Smoke No more for people with COPD trying to quit smoking. I was their coach and found readings for them to read every day. Most that had started the team did quit, and stayed that way, which made me feel good to be saving someone's life. Keep up the great job that you are doing, and know that we are here for you. Practice makkes perfect, ya know!!!!!

Janet

Farmgirl Sister #3340

Go to Top of Page

DEW
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

Dianne
Weiser Idaho
USA
317 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2012 :  4:22:56 PM  Show Profile
Hi Everyone

Happy Valentines Day.

I suvived the weekend! Ok it was not that bad. I like to cook. The teens are always fun and most of them are polite and clean up after themselves, so it is not to bad. The very little sleep and being on my feet for about 12 hours straight about did me in though. When I got home I took a really hot shower and my DH rubbed me with warm oil. It was wonderful. I almost felt human again. LOL. Sunday was a beautiful spring day. It hit 50+ degrees then this morning it decided to remind us it is still winter, 20 degrees.
I have decided that you all can keep your snow. I am ready for spring! The DH and I were out helping some friends prune there fruit trees. Talk about blind leading the blind. They kept asking me questions and I know very little about pruning fruit trees. Not to metion that these trees have not been pruned in a few years! They just bought the place last spring, so they are trying this year to get things in order.

My DH and I are looking into a farm coop of sorts. Our friends have land and need help neither of them is in top physical shape. Ok neither are my DH and I, but we are still moble 90% of the time. DH and I have the man power and know how, they have the land. We may be bringing in another fmily with kid power and know how. Anyway DH and I are thinking about it. Please pray for Gods leading in this.

Kathryn If all goes as planned LOL we should be in the area the end of July. Once she is settled we are planning on spending some time site seeing. I will let you know for sure the closer it gets.

Thelma glad you made it back. Yes you were missed silly girl!

Judy I hope the Dr's get their act together so you can have that surgery. You are way to full of energy and I hate to see you laid low like this.

Darlys I'm glad you are getting better. it took me two weeks before I could drive or get around really good. After that i started getting better really fast. Just take it easy and don't rush the first two weeks. They are the most critical.

Holly you sound like me. Big plans lots of big plans.

Patty they are cute. My twins turned 30 in January. How time flies.

Penny you are never and I repeat NEVER!!! a diapointment to me. I love you like a sister. I am behind you 100% girl. I know you can beat this.

Hope all of you have a wonderful valentines Day

Dianne (ID)
Go to Top of Page

CountryKim
True Blue Farmgirl

66 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
66 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2012 :  5:20:19 PM  Show Profile
Hi, girls! Happy Valentine's Day!!! Kind of quiet around here, but that's OK! Penny, I know how hard it is to quit. I have been a non-smoker for 4 years now. Hubby still smokes, but is now going outside of the laundry room. I appreciate him even more for that. I just wanted to touch base and say Hi. Off to get some stuff caught up one. Love you gals!

Forever farmgirl
Farmgirl Sister #1363

http://midwestmusings-kim.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2012 :  6:39:03 PM  Show Profile
Happy Valentines Day Gals! I hope it was a good day for all my Buds who,in my opinion,deserve the very BEST!
Thank you to Thelma for that great homemade card(beautiful), and to Dianne for the Sweet&Sassy Birthday card & tea bag. Can't wait to try it! And it's NEVER too late to get Birthday cards. hahaha
Dianne, you have me confused with someone else...I'm not seeing any doctors! ....Please,no!haha
We had a cold snowy day here, but it didn't stick. It blew sideways...I always wonder about that....where does it go? Is there a tree or wall somewhere that stops it and it's about a foot thick on the side of it...or what? *snicker*....Well???

Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2012 :  05:07:16 AM  Show Profile
CJ sent me a pretty embroidered piece for my birthday and I want to share that I made a pillow with it.

Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2012 :  05:29:16 AM  Show Profile
As you can see I haven't learned and/or remembered to make it smaller before downloading it.

I had a really nice Valentine's Day. Called my GD to wish her a Happy Birthday and sing to her the BD song as I have done since she was a little girl. I learned this morning via the Facebook that she did go out to have her first legal drink and didn't have to pay because when it was found that it was her 21st birthday someone bought it for her. Thank goodness it was a school night so she couldn't live it up too much since she has classes this morning. She is a responsible person anyway so I am pretty sure she would be okay although we never know.

Diane I will pray that the Lord will give you guidance in your decision about the coop. Sounds like you have the people you need to do the work and you have the land.

I made a yummy chicken soup yesterday and took a nap which I needed. I usually take about a 20 or 30 minute nap everyday ever since I had that Hepatitis C. If I don't after the 3rd day I get so run down so I try to get one in most days.

OOOOO!!!! My cat just came to the back door with a mouse in his mouth. I thanked him for the gift(with the door closed of course) and sent him on his way. He is out there throwing it up in the air and playing with it. He is the best mouse catcher I ever had. We have this forest area in the back and he catches mice, small snakes, and lizards of various types. Always brings his "gifts" to us. Usually we can save the snake's lives and return them to the forest.

Have a good day everyone.

Hugs,

Nancy #2301

Make everyday a celebration of the Heart
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2012 :  06:34:07 AM  Show Profile
Nancy I really enjoy your full size photos. I could see the beautiful sheen on the floss that CJ used on her piece. How pretty, such even stitches. It makes a perfect pillow. And good grief you are so much braver than I. As, I have mentioned before - the mice issue - it just does me in. I couldn't even watch safely behind a door while a cat "played" with a mouse.

Penny, you are much harder on yourself than any of us would be. I'm sorry that you setback upset you so terribly, but I hope you can see it as just that - a setback. Let the counting recommence! Congratulations on quitting!!! You are the best.

Marianne
Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2012 :  06:54:04 AM  Show Profile
Hello everyone. It's me, Thelma, with a big smile on my face! Yep! I found the fabric I needed, finished the quilt top, have everything pressed and will deliver it to the machine quilter tomorrow. I will then get it back on March 2nd and get the binding on that week. It goes to auction on March 10th. I hope all the pheasants out there appreciate me. giggle (my 2011 quilt sold for $350.00)

Penny - STOP BEATING YOURSELF UP! You are trying so hard while on an emotional roller coaster. You have been such a good inspiration to me that I have decided to get serious about losing a few more pounds. We all have our vices, yours is smoking and mine is over eating. You are such a special person. I wish you the very best.

Holly - I wasn't going to share this, but since you bake bread you will enjoy this little story. On page 38 of Mary Jane's Idea book is a recipe for sourdough bread. Well I spent a week making the starter then on day 7 I made a loaf of bread. I was so excited, but the dough was so sticky that I kept adding flour and adding flour and adding flour. When I took it out of the oven it was as flat as a cookie and looked very much like a cow pie. Guess what, our outside dog wouldn't even eat it. giggle So much for bread making! I do wonder why the recipe never called for a levening agent.

What growing zones are you gals in? I am at the top of zone 4, but try to get zone 3 plants when I can. Holly, are you in zone 4?

Now that the quilt is done I'm going to do some "funner" sewing the rest of the winter. I have made 4 quilts this winter and need to get away from quilting for a week of two. Today I'm going to create my own Dotee doll and maybe cut out another apron. Also want to make a light weight, but warm, jacket for spring. I am not going to get crazy with sewing clothes as I want a smaller size or two.

Jan thanks for the Valentine. I love all the holidays. It's the elementary teacher part of my soul.

Dotee is calling! Have a great day everyone. remember the famous words of Henry Ford - "When everything seems to be going against you,remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it."
Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2012 :  07:05:44 AM  Show Profile
OOPS, I forgot to read page 189. What a pretty pillow! Nancy, you are so lucky! I am not responding to hairless,longtailed critter stories. YUCK
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2012 :  09:57:47 AM  Show Profile
Penny, so glad you are back on the wagon. As everyone else said, don't beat yourself up so much. This is a big deal and it takes time. You'll win I'm sure.

Nan, funny about the mouse. I have 4 cats and they are very generous with their gifts. I use to live in the forest and I saved all the little animals I could. I had a special basket I would put them in to get over the stress and then if they lived, they went back outside. If not, I had a special burial spot. Plenty of times they just brought in a live one and let it go for fun. I can't tell you how many times I would be sitting in the living room reading, and see out of the corner of my eye a little body running across the floor. I was as bad as the cats at catching them. Down on all fours skirring around the house with at least one cat "helping" I would usually catch it and put it in the wood pile.

Nancy, love the pillow. CJ does beautiful work, I loved you made something special out of it.

Thelma, good going on finishing your quilt. I have one that is almost done. I have been procrastinating because I have to do the quilting. It is a quilt as you go and I have the outside borders left. I don't know what pattern to use yet, so there they sit across the ironing board.

Today is homework day. I have a bunch of papers to write and have to study for an accounting test for next week. Boring!
I would rather be sewing or crocheting. I was bummed to see that on etsy there is a lady from Singapore that sells little crochet flowers for almost nothing. You can get 40 for under 10.00. Not sure there will be much demand for mine. I'll have to put them on something to make any money. It really bugs me when people sell things and don't consider time and materials. I had some little purses I wanted to sell on etsy then found a lady selling the same ones for $5.00. the material alone is $5.00. I know she was probably using fabric she got at a yard sale, but it still hurts us that use new quilt shop quality fabrics.

Anyway, later for now. Lots of boring school work to get done.

Farmgirl number 3738

www.bunnyrose.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 218 **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Farmgirls over age 50 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page