doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2012 :  6:03:58 PM  Show Profile
Thelma, my furbabies are from a shelter - I think Lola is a doxie/chuhuahua mix and Penny looks like a mix of shih tzu or maybe pekinese and a little yorkie- she is beautiful with long hair but I had her trimmed to make it easier for my daughter to take care of while I was in Houston. They are the sweetest, most well trained dogs I have ever had so I know someone really loved them and I wish their owner could know how much I love and care for them and how much they mean to me. I have a sense that they may have belonged to someone older who either died or had to go to nursing home because they have been loved and cared for and then given up. Here she is with longer hair.

Glenda #3534
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2012 :  6:34:10 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

WOW two whole pages to read since yesterday. What a treat! the pictures are wonderful. I had a good chuckle. Ed does look like he had to pick up cat barf when he had your Dottie on his shoulder. I think Ed would get along well with my older brother Roy. They both keep an immaculate house and both own grand pianos. My brother plays his everyday. He is a wonderful pianist.

Diane I was thhinking that if you and your friends decide to do a farm coop you should write into the agreement a get out clause so if one of the parties gets overwhelmed with life there will be no hard feelings for exiting the arrangement.

Judy the pictures of the snake you sent via email are one of the reasons I am really glad I do live ina zone4 climate. Nothing that large could live in this cold of a climate.

Patsy I am glad you are back in the loop.

I have been thinking about all of us who would like to be in better shape. Maybe we could start a virtual walk across the country. We could start at Darlys' or maybe someone in the northwest is a little further west like Buffy puff or Bunny and walk to Ginny's in Maine being the furthest east. Maybe someone who is a little more organized mathematically could figure out a way each of us could add our footage on to record progress. Then as we go through familiar areas of the country anyone who knows anything about that area could put on photos or facts so we could all enjoy the tourist aspects of our walk. Would that help anyone who is struggling with needing to exercise?

It was in the forties today. the snow pack is still evident but fading. the weather is acting like spring should be arriving but we certainly could still be gifted witha couple of feet of the fluffy white.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2012 :  8:12:28 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Good Evening Ladies, DH and I just finished watching American Idol...this is the one show we watch together...we don't watch alot of the same shows so I am usually on the computer and watching tv and he is in the kitchen/living room watching tv...he watches mostly news and Christian programs.... So we enjoy the time watching this show together.

Holly,I agree with you how much cheaper it is to make bread than buy it...I like making it because I don't care for 100% whole wheat and DH does so this way I can make half and half which is fine with me....and besides even if I did make 100% whole wheat it is so much better than bought. That new recipe that I am using now is so easy too...I have to make more tomorrow...we MIGHT have company over the weekend...one min. she says they are coming and the next they aren't so who knows..lol... Sounds like Talie likes all sports...I use to love watching my boys play too...so much fun. I still believe you are a very busy woman...at least it seems so, wish I lived closer...I'm sure you could teach me alot about building....thanks so much for sharing all that you do.

Janie, Thank you for the kind words...I've quit before so I know I can do it again...and not giving up is the key.

Janet, Thank you for telling me what the Dr. said it helps. My Momma died from COPD and I was with her everyday for the last month...It is a rough disease.

Dianne, glad the weekend went smoothly and glad you are feeling human again.lol. I know that the years we prune our pear trees that we don't get as many pears the next year but then the year after that we are loaded again...so hope the same for the ones ya'll pruned. Thank you for letting me know I'm not a disappointment to you...it helps more than you know and thanks for being behind me a helping me through. The pic of your car is so adorable...that was so sweet of your girls..they really love their Mom don't they?

Kathryn, I'm playing catchup too...I'm so far behind so this post is going to be very long. I understand the weather, it makes me hurt all over Mr Arthur doesn't like the changes in weather...arthritis is the pits. don't you beat yourself up about over eating and I won't beat my self up over falling off the wagon with my smoking...deal? deal...

Kim, thanks, and it won't be long before I can say I've quit for more than a week...I made it 23 days and I believe this time I can make it all the way...thanks for the kind words.

Judy, I just read the email about the snake, made me shiver...I use to not be able to even look at snake pics..without hyperventilating...thank goodness I've gotten past that. Tell your Mama hi for me...and that I hope she feels better soon.

Nancy, the pic of the pillow is beautiful...and besides I believe the program MJF uses is suppose to resize the pics so don't worry about it besides I agree with the others this way we can see all the beautiful details that CJ used in making it. I'm glad you take the time to rest...my brother that has cancer also has Hep C...so I know it is tough...take it easy. Dont you just love the way these cats bring their catches home...my sweet little Macey does that too...I have watched her many days running around outside chasing mice...they keep running under her which I don't get so if she doesn't kill then in 10 to 15 min I go outside and do it for her...I don't want them getting away...

Marianne, thank you for the sweet words...and the counting continues...lol

Thelma, so good to see you here...Wow $350 that is an awesome price for the quilt...so glad you found the fabric you needed. I thank you for your kind words about my smoking too...you ladies make me so happy. You should try this recipe for bread, I promise you can't go wrong with it.http://theitaliandishblog.com/imported-20090913150324/2010/2/26/amazing-artisan-bread-for-40-cents-a-loaf-no-kneading-no-fus.html Try it, it is the easiest bread to make and I've been making bread for about 25 years or maybe even more..lol We live in zone 8 for planting so we will be starting soon. You make me want to try my hand at the Dotee dolls now...I love the one Nancy sent me...so maybe I will give it a try. Ok I will stay on you if you stay on me and we both will beat our habits...I'm sure of it...

Bunny, Thanks I'm going to beat this smoking I'm sure, besides I have all of you behind me...and that makes me so lucky :) I hope you got all your school work done. and I know what you mean about people selling things so cheap. I would like to sell some of my work too but looking at the prices others sell for I just don't see it happening...good luck with yours.

Glenda, I love all the pics thank you so much for sharing them...seeing ED with the Dotee doll is priceless...you are right about the pic of the furbabies and the doll, can't see the doll...but the babies are so cute..and I can't believe you have strawberries....your GD is adorable...what a beauty she is...I am glad to hear that your brother is doing better...he will remain in my prayers. I quit smoking once before for 5 1/2 years...then ex up and left and well, there I was back smoking again...dang men...whatcha going to do with them.

Patsy, good to see ya here...love seeing you on fb too.

Well I hope I didn't miss anyone...I made the pasta for our Valentine's supper with homemade sauce, bread and brownies from scratch. You can see it on my blog...

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...

http://ourgeorgiafarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2012 :  03:31:38 AM  Show Profile
Good morning everyone,

Happy Friday! It is always a good feeling to hit Friday, isn't it? Even though so many of us don't work, we still measure our weeks by the work week. And, even though it has been years since I have seen a child off to the first day of school, the school year still has an effect on me. I find it so hard to resist buying new pencils and notepads each September ...

Caught up with all our posts. We really have been busy posting lately! I have been following the Dottee doll. Did I miss the origin? Or do we know it? We could always start our own Farmgirlie doll. What a hoot it would be. Imagine 75 years from now someone googling a Farmgirlie doll and finding the explanation that it was "a show of endearment amongst "farmgirls" of a certain age ..."

So, no big plans for the weekend. Am I the only one who really loves an unplanned weekend? We have a chance of getting 4 to 5 inches of snow overnight on Saturday. That isn't much, but this year it has me thinking that I better run to the store and make sure I have the cupboards stocked. I feel like I am out of practice for winter!

Darlys, I sure hope you are mending quickly.

Glenda, it was wonderful to hear from you. You and your brother remain in my prayers.

Marianne
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2012 :  06:12:06 AM  Show Profile
Good morning,

I had a lot of catching up to do and I think I missed a bunch.

Glenda, I love all the photos you posted. Ed looks happy with the Dotee doll. I think he is amused by it's size. It really is so small. The pics of your granddaughter and the strawberries are so nice, too. I am glad you posted all of them.
About how to pronounce the Dotee Doll, I don't know. Some times I say Dot..eeeee and sometime like Dough....eeee. The lady who started it was named Dothory Christian so I guess the first pronounciation was correct. She created the doll to be traded or given but never to be sold.
Your little doggies are so sweet.

Dianne that is so cute what you DDs did to your car. How fun! I am glad you posted it. I have kept a scrapebook of all the Valentines I have received through the years and I still like looking back at them. Also photos like yours of special Valentine photos of gifts.

Kathryn I never had a sister either growing up either, just a brother. I really missed having one. I was so happy for my 3 GDs because they are very close and are best of friends. My DD said she always missed not having a sister, too.
Belated Happy Birthday to you.

Thelma aren't those Dotee Dolls fun? I can't stop making them because they are so easy and so creative. Each one is so different. A great idea to make one to represent our personalities. I also gave one to my 2 GDs who have birthdays this month.

Patsy I missed you and glad you are back.

Holly I am so out of shape and saying to myself everyday to get those little weights and start using them. Yeah, sure, right. They just sit there looking at me. Yes we need a virtual walk across the county. Your suggestion is good. I even bought a tape by that lady I like.

Penny thanks for the bread recipe. I know I can make the bread now that I have this recipe. I was always leary of trying to make it before. I know how hard it is to beat these habits but you can do it. Don't think about yesterday, just do it today. We are here for you always.
My habit? Eating the bread I am going to make. I cannot have wheat. Just the smell of the bakery drives me crazy. I love the crusty bread. I used to buy the crusty breads and tear out the middles and just eat the crusts. I mean it was bad. I finally found out that I had a sensitivity to wheat and it was making me gain weight. Once I stopped eating the wheat I was able to lose weight. I still need to lose weight but before I couldn't even lose any.

Marianne your idea about a Farmgirl doll is great. We can create one by just designing a little body with whatever kind of arms or legs we want and whatever kind of face or head we want and go on from there. Name it as ours and it will be. Anyone have any ideas?

Raining here today :) I'm making an apron and trying to put some Videos on to DVDs without any luck.

Hugs,

Nancy #2301

Make everyday a celebration of the heart.
Go to Top of Page

Cooknnana
True Blue Farmgirl

213 Posts

Kathryn
Chandler OK
USA
213 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2012 :  07:22:05 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning, Ladies! TGIF! I love Friday; I don't know why, but I do. It makes me just slightly giddy when I wake up and its Friday. Silly? Maybe...Probably... but I don't care! I've had such few things to invoke that feeling in the last few years, so I'll take it whenever I can. Now I have you ladies and I actually look forward to getting up every morning and coming to the office. When the alarm goes off, I just lay there thinking, Ugh! I don't want to get up! But then I think, wait! I get to see what the girls have said while I was at home. Then I bounce(figuratively speaking, of course)right out of bed...Wooo Hooo!

There's a chance of rain today and tomorrow and boy do I feel it. Arthritis, scoliosis, and fibromyalgia. Yuck! I still love the rain, however, despite what it does to me. The rain make me calm; I feel like it is washing away my worries and stresses, you know? Ok, am I embarrassing myself by revealing my quirky thoughts. Sorry. lol

Thanks, Penny. I think I'll take that pact. I just feel so disgusted with myself when I over eat, so I'll try not to torture myself over it if you won't over your smoking... But you're going to make it, I just know.

Nancy, I only have brothers too. Three, to be exact; 2 ahead and 1 behind. I lost the one behind when I was fourteen, so Its just been the two ahead since then... I always wanted a sister. When my little brother came along, my father left my older brothers and myself in the car while he went into the hospital to get my mother and new brother. A couple nuns were walking by and stopped to talk to us and I asked them if God still made sisters because all I got was dumb brothers.

I don't have any plans for this weekend, either. I like it that way, sometimes. Talk to you later...

If there is a will, there's a way; find your way!

Sister #3282
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2012 :  08:32:41 AM  Show Profile
Hello friends,
Now that I am finally caught up I want to try to stay caught up.
Nancy it is good to know something of the origin of the dotee dolls, and that they were meant to be given, not sold. I think it is really important to honor that. I've already had a million bucks worth of fun with my dottie. I would like to find out more about the originator of this lovely craze, as I feel every artist deserves credit. I think even I could keep up with an exchange if we wanted to do one within this 0ver 50's group. Marianne, Farmgirlie sounds right to me. Of course farmgirls love their bling bling, too. I don't know how many people we have on this thread now. I did not get time to bring my craft stuff from my house and I am fighting the urge to go to JoAnns and buy some stuff - now that I realize all the dotee can be made with hand sewing and glue.

Holly I appreciate your encouraging words (and everybody's for that matter). I too hope all this misery will be behind me soon. My brother said yesterday he actually felt well enough to visit with family and friends, which he has not before. However, he gets another round of chemo Monday so that will knock him back again. I believe now that he has some hope that he will beat it (not just "slim to no chance" the first stupid doctor gave him, he will fight harder.
I finally see the hernia surgeon on Monday and it seems he will be calling the shots as to when and how the surgeries will be
done. I have gotten some relief from the pain - dont know why except prayers, because nothing has changed. This is the third day pain free. So my fear of it getting worse before they fix it has subsided somewhat, at least the hernia issue. Still worried that the ovarian cyst will be malignant and if it is every day is critical but the doctors seem to have their schedules that won't be changed short of an emergency. I hope that "slim chance" works in my favor. The urologist said she could make me a pessary(?) so that one isn't urgent.

Penny, my sister did the same thing, quit for 6 years then had marital problems and started back again. She is trying to cut back because she has COPD and a lot of other health issues and she is only 53. Also, that is such a good site for the bread. other good stuff on there too.

Kathryn, thanks so much for your encouraging words and emails. I feel the bad weather coming in my bones, too but so far Ibprophen or tylenol takes most of the pain away. Also yoga works wonders for me. Just the gentle stretching, not the standing on your head stuff. And don't worry about sharing your personal feelings and thoughts on here, that's what we do. My theory is that is what makes this thread the best and makes us closer. Now you have all the sisters anyone could ask for, don't you---you just had to wait for the right timing!!!

I called Darlys yesterday and she said she is recovering well, just really tired. I think she will be jumping back on here soon.

Glenda #3534

Edited by - doll58maker on Feb 17 2012 08:43:41 AM
Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2012 :  08:35:15 AM  Show Profile
Hi everyone,

I don't get a chance to get on here that often anymore. There's always something going on. I have the Masonic newsletter to get out by the 20th. They always wait til the last minute to send me their reports and add to the calendar and on and on it goes. There is memorial service Saturday for one of the members and yesterday we drove all over town getting things ready. We went to order flowers and the flower shops were bare since it was after Valentines Day and the new shipment hadn't arrived. We finally found a lovely white azalea and went with the plant instead of fresh flowers.

I live in zone 8 also but it goes between 8 and 11 due to our heat. It's hard to find plants that will tolerate both heat and cold. I buy a lot of native plants but there are others that are adaptable. Thank goodness roses and iris are in that catagory.

Thanks to everyone that sent me Valentine's cards. They were lovely. I didn't get any out.

We drove south to Lancaster on Thursday to get hubby's hearing aid fixed and it was raining there, 76 miles from here. and it turned to snow. We stopped for lunch and sat at the window and watched it wondering about the drive home but by the time we left it had stopped, the roads were clear but the mountains were just beautiful. We didn't get any rain here or snow but we got the wind. It was really bad.

I have put in some new climbing roses, one is New Dawn, and I have planted crinum lily's also. We put in onions, cabbage, arugula, and collards and radishes. The onions are up and the others were plants so they were already up. We have five more Eldorica pines to plant in an area we need a wind break. My chickens have laid pretty good this winter since it's been so mild.

I wish all of you good health and pray for all who are under the weather at this time. I have to hit the road and pick up a prescription for a friend. Have a good weekend everyone. TGF
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2012 :  09:11:35 AM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Here is a pic of my Dotee Doll that Nancy sent me...she is so cute.

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...

Edited by - Acelady02 on Feb 17 2012 09:14:14 AM
Go to Top of Page

Cooknnana
True Blue Farmgirl

213 Posts

Kathryn
Chandler OK
USA
213 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2012 :  09:12:48 AM  Show Profile
Yes, Glenda, I do think it is all about timing and this was perfect timing for me to acquire all my sisters; I've been so isolated that I was getting seriously depressed. I agree with the Yoga too; I did yoga a few years ago and it help me a lot. I really want to get a dvd for someone like me: older and broken, but I haven't been able to find one. Well, not when I was with my daughter, anyway, and she's the one that will have to buy it... I'm always happy to encourage any one of you who might need it. If you all lived closer to me, I would even cook something nice for you too. Its good comfort; good friends to encourage each other and good food to share...

That's one of the things I like about living in CA, Betty, the extra long growing season. Where, exactly is Inyokern? is that in southern, central or Northern CA?

Blessings on you all... mwaaaa-kisses and hugs

Sister #3282
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2012 :  09:50:55 AM  Show Profile
Good morning everyone. Lots to read here. Not much going on. Weather is bla, no rain, no sun, in the 40's so at least not very cold.
Holly, I did find the aarp info a few days ago and have applied. I just have to get them all the financial info. They want tax returns and a few other things. I did my taxes Wednesday so all ready to go. I'm also applying for one through the college. I got the two recommendation letters I needed. So pretty much all set for that. I don't know how much I'll get. It is different for each applicant depending on need and other stuff. I don't care the amount. Anything will help.

Glenda, too bad I don't live closer. What do you do on your farm? As far as the flowers, I searched the internet and found lots of sites with fun tutorials. I use to crochet flowers when I was a teenager. I'm having fun learning new patterns though. A hat for a Dotee doll would be cute. But I'm really trying to figure out how to make a little money first.

Well I have to get to homework this morning. I'm hoping to reward myself with a day in my sewing room finishing my nephew's quilt. I'm also working on a little special something for my virtual porch ladies with our tea exchange. I love to put in a little sewn something. Last year it was a little tea wallet. Not telling about this year as we have some ladies here in the exchange. I want it to be a surprise.

Hope everyone stays healthy or gets healthy. Sorry not able to comment to everyone. There is a lot of conversation here!

Farmgirl number 3738

www.bunnyrose.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2012 :  10:30:07 AM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Yo yo's from Dianne, isn't she the sweeties...just because yoyo's thank you so much

Crochet pattern from Nancy. Thank you for thinking of me...now when I get some yarn I will have to see if I can make this
Also my giveaway items came today from Oklahoma Pastry Cloth...I'm excited...thank you Mary Beth White.

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

Edited by - Acelady02 on Feb 17 2012 10:34:58 AM
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2012 :  12:17:10 PM  Show Profile
Very cool stuff, Penny--those yoyos are beautiful.
I sent an email to Chris and Ginny to see if they are okay. May be some others missing too but they were posting regularly so I kind of got to know them. Hope everything is okay. We really do get attached here, don't we. I looked at the other thread that everybody seems to like and some of you are on, but it isn't for me. this is my home.

Glenda #3534
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2012 :  12:22:46 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
This is my home to Glenda, every now and then I go over to the porch but I seem to stay here the most....

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2012 :  2:41:22 PM  Show Profile
Kathryn,

We share something (not so neat) in common besides feeling rain is coming due to our arthritis. That is scoliosis. Mine was discovered when I was 16 and I had surgery to fuse my spine from something like C4 to L3. What is your scoliosis story?

I am sorry to hear you deal with so much discomfort. It seems there are quite a few of us who have maybe more than our fair share of aches in our "over 50 forum." I know it helps me to have all the gals to talk to and share our problems and joy with. It lets me forget my pain for the tme being and I couldn't ask for anything better than that.

Marianne
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2012 :  2:52:10 PM  Show Profile
Dianne,
Those are the fanciest yoyo's I have ever seen. So pretty.

Penny,
What a month for you! Besides FGOTM, you also won the pastry items! Congratulations,

Marianne
Go to Top of Page

Cooknnana
True Blue Farmgirl

213 Posts

Kathryn
Chandler OK
USA
213 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2012 :  3:51:31 PM  Show Profile
I have been to a couple other threads and I think I belong right here, as well. Its comfortable and a place I am starting to feel secure with. So far, no one has said, "uh, I think you're a bit too strange for us.." :* I'm positively certifiable, but no one seems to mind, so I'm happy.

Marianne...my scoliosis story... I was screened in school when I was 12 and already showing signs of curvature, but nothing was done about it except I was told to carry my books on the other side. Yeah, right, that worked...not! At 13 I started experiencing pain, but again, no one took much notice. By the end of my 14th year, the pain was much more significant, but we had other things consuming everyone's thoughts and energies; my younger brother was murdered and it took 12 days for the police to find him. No One, not even myself, cared about my back pain. When I was 15 and starting high school I was at a friend's house to spend the night. I had mentioned that my back was hurting and my friend asked her mom to "pop" my back. 'Mom' lifted my shirt and gasped, then refused to touch me. She immediately called my mother to tell her that one side of my back was raised higher than the other. Mother took me to the doctor that next week. After he looked at the x-rays, he informed that it was a significant case of scoliosis; it was throughout my whole spine from top to bottom with a major curve between my shoulders of 37 degrees and in the lumbar region with a curve of 45 degrees. After seeing the orthopedic, who told them about the fusion surgery, which in my case would be in 3 separate surgeries and 6 months in a body cast between each, my parents decided I was too young for that kind of trauma. It was the only option for treatment I was given; bracing was out because the ortho said I had already obtained full growth, so it would not have been possible to reverse it. As of September 2006, which was the last time I had x-rays done, those same curves were 57 and 65 degrees and my rib cage was twisting inward. That's my story...

Now, let's see...I need to end this on a happier note... I've had some time today to work on my book that I have been writing for about a year. Its a children's book about an ostrich named Posie who is afraid of everything, but ends up being a big hero. There, that's better.

Congratulations, Penny! You deserve it. I just love those yo-yo's.

Sister #3282

Edited by - Cooknnana on Feb 17 2012 3:57:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2012 :  5:00:25 PM  Show Profile
Chris (Clumboy) already responded to my email, she's just real busy said she misses us and will be back soon. That's good news. Hope to hear from Ginny.

I don't know about Georgia but it sure is "A Rainy Nite in Texas" My little furbabies just stick their noses out the door and back up and look up at me as tho to say "Aw, come on, mom, not now...." keeping my fingers crossed Ed's nice rugs don't get any doggie pee.

I am sorry for you Marianne and Kathryn about the scoliosis, and Kathryn, for the loss of your brother--that is horribly tragic--I'm hugging you right now....both my sister and I got a very mild form of scoliosis from our mother, who is now terribly bent over and twisted (she's 89) but she says she feels fine and is not in pain. I know she hurts some but won't admit it. I have exercised and done yoga and have managed to fight mine off (I also broke 3rd lumbar in skiing accident when I was about 34) My sister has had two back surgeries, some vertabre fused, and now she has some kind of implant that sends out electrical impulses to keep the pain at bay. She still takes lots of pain pills. Way too many. Mom's back didn't really start to curve until her early 60's so we must have a very mild case compared to what you two are going through.

Kathryn, you fit right in - wise bananas, remember? or was that before you got here. Anyway, that is what we have been labled and we like it. Also, this thread is never boring...we are always up to something and we have some good storytellers in the group.

I am not a writer but here is a doll I am working on. I can't seem to get her finished. The body is a banana gourd, (speaking of bananas) which I have started decorating with a wood burning tool, I can't decide what she will be doing with her hands so I cant make them yet. The head, hands and feet are polymer clay which is baked in the oven. It is a work in progress, so I'll post a pic again when she is complete.

Glenda #3534

Edited by - doll58maker on Feb 17 2012 5:26:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2012 :  5:07:26 PM  Show Profile
Kathryn,

Thank you for sharing your story. I KNOW it isn't easy to tell others of your scoliosis. Our stories are so similar, finding it too late, kind of having your pain ignored and just figuring everyone must feel this way and maybe I'm just weak. My curves were originally around 48 top and 67 bottom with correction to about 39 and 58 with a gain of 2 inches in height. It is so hard to remember all those numbers. My spine is fused, as I said, and that is the source of most of my pain because the few vertebrate that aren't fused are worn out ...

So, as we like to say on this site, "we are sisters." But, you and I, my dear, are "Twisted Sisters." Thank you again for sharing this. It means the world to me to know someone else who understands my world.

And to end this on a good note, I would love to read a book about an ostrich named Posie, so get that published!! It sounds adorable.

Marianne
Go to Top of Page

Cooknnana
True Blue Farmgirl

213 Posts

Kathryn
Chandler OK
USA
213 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2012 :  5:28:55 PM  Show Profile
I do think, Glenda that exercise would be good. I'd like to get my hands on a yoga dvd; it was so helpful in the past. As you know, I use homeopathic remedies that help quite a bit. My Hom. Dr. has made a deal with the town chiropractor and I get that for free and we now have a massage therapist in our office. She doesn't work on me every day, which would be ok with me, but when she does, oh boy, is it ever good. Those are the nights I get some sleep. She worked on one my arms today. It took her a half an hour just for to get the feeling back in my fingers, but I have very little pain there right now. The Doc and another lady have developed a pain cream that works wonders... I heard the term "wise bananas" from you, I think, but I didn't see the original posting about it. I used to be effected, annually, by my brothers death, but have done better in the last 20 years or so, but for some reason, it hit me this last anniversary, so thanks for the hugs; I'll take them. How odd is that, huh? To be effected again, so many years later, as if its only been a short time...
I like it, Marianne..."Twisted Sisters"; it certainly fits. hahaha I'd like to get "Posie" published, but its become a lot more complicated to do so and I don't have the first clue what to do it, but when its finished you are more than welcome to read it. I've dabbled at writing practically my whole life, and, like Posie, I've been too afraid to try; how sad is that?

Sister #3282
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2012 :  6:19:50 PM  Show Profile
Kathryn I tried to send you a private email but not sure it went. Also wanted to say my daughter is good friends with a woman who writes romance novels, I will try to get her email/blog or whatever and ask her to help you or at least if she has any advice on how to get published. Her name is Tess Mallory and she also suffers from fibro and some other issues. She is a wonderful, sweet person. If I forget, feel free to remind me.......i am definitely absent minded. either I don't do it at all or I do it twice.

Glenda #3534
Go to Top of Page

Cooknnana
True Blue Farmgirl

213 Posts

Kathryn
Chandler OK
USA
213 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2012 :  6:39:48 PM  Show Profile
I did get your e-mail, Glenda, thank you.Tess Mallory, got it, but I may have to ask you again though, lol. I can be rather absent minded myself, at times; I too have completely forgotten things and I have done things tow, three, and four times. People look at me really funny then. haha

Sister #3282
Go to Top of Page

Cooknnana
True Blue Farmgirl

213 Posts

Kathryn
Chandler OK
USA
213 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2012 :  6:42:39 PM  Show Profile
I can't wait to see your completed doll, Glenda; that is so cool!

Sister #3282
Go to Top of Page

Cooknnana
True Blue Farmgirl

213 Posts

Kathryn
Chandler OK
USA
213 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2012 :  6:44:44 PM  Show Profile
Penny, I've never heard of Ok pastry cloth until your post today. I looked it up and its roughly about 30 minutes away from where I live. Talk about a small world, huh?

Sister #3282
Go to Top of Page

craftbug
True Blue Farmgirl

545 Posts

Patsy
Clarkson Kentucky
USA
545 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2012 :  8:04:37 PM  Show Profile  Send craftbug a Yahoo! Message
O my goodness. just lost a whole bunch that I typed and copied, but it DIDN'T copy, so I had nothing to "paste"! done for the night, will try again tomorrow. Grrrrrr

Make my words soft and tender, for I may have to eat them. :)

Edited by - craftbug on Feb 18 2012 4:52:21 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 218 **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Farmgirls over age 50 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page