thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2012 :  04:40:08 AM  Show Profile
Good morning girlfriends! It is a cold 30' this morning and will only get up to 41' today. Will jump up to 61' tomorrow.
We had a good day at the produce market yesterday. We had 16 families involved! That has been our biggest week thus far. I was lucky enough to score some "less than perfect" apples from a vendor for free! I filled my dehydrator and will be able to fill it 2 more times. :) There are perks to picking up the produce. Everyone is so happy with the baskets. We get phone calls with everyone saying how excited they are and can't wait to see what is in the basket. The unknown each week is fun for everyone. We were able to get eggplant, asparagus, and pears this week (first time for each). The more involved, the less of each item, but more variety.
Today, I am going to chop up some cabbage and put it in a crock to make sauerkraut. I never have made it before but with guidance from my Aunt (who makes it frequently) I am sure I can do it. :) Then out to butcher the 4 roosters. I put 3 dozen eggs from the incubator to the hatcher yesterday so will have chicks start hatching tomorrow. I then have them hatching about every 4 days for the next few weeks. I hope I don't get overwhelmed with everything going on...lol.
My cousin and husband are coming for dinner tonight, along with my parents. We are frying up some fish. Yesterday while I was at the produce market, hubby fried some chicken. Now mind you, he is not a cook. Never fixes a meal! NEVER! He is also totally computer illiterate. But I gave him an iphone for Christmas. Just a few days ago I taught him how to "Google" on his phone. While I was gone he "googled" a fried chicken recipe. It called for buttermilk so he went to the store and bought buttermilk, a 2.5 lb bag of flour and a can of Crisco. I buy my flour in 20 lb bags....I had plenty of flour and shortening, but he didn't seem to know where to look in the kitchen...lol. But he succeeded! His fried chicken was delicious.

Kathryn- Thanks for the email full of the useful info. I bought plenty of fruit this week at the market. :)

Glenda- I would love some seeds! I had googled red bird plant images when you first mentioned them. They are very pretty.

Well, off to start my day! First pot of coffee is empty, time to get up and get moving. :)

Patty #1840

http://ladygonegreen.blogspot.com/

A rind is a terrible thing to waste. Compost.

When they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, “Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted.”
-Jesus in John 6:12 NIV Bible
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2012 :  09:40:29 AM  Show Profile
Good morning farmgirls. It is sooo windy today. It was so windy all night the kitties didn't want to go outside. I have a kitty window next to my bed and the little door kept blowing open. I actually love the fresh air coming in but it wasn't appreciated by the furries. They are all hiding in the basement.. big sissys.

Not much else going on. I'm going to brunch with a friend and then have homework and HOPEfully can get myself down to the basement and put some more fabric online. I finally decided to add my fabric website address to the bottom of my posts. I guess I'm not very good at marketing myself. I also broke down and ordered some more pretty cotton yarn to make some more crochet flowers. I needed some pastels for Glenda. You have all inspired me to make an extra effort.

My mom bought me a really cool present yesterday.. It is called Dragon. It is a software program that allows you to speak into a microphone and your words appear in print on the computer. It will help me with my quilt patterns big time. I also have some books in the works and this will hopefully get me going on them. It is easier to say what I want instead of typing. It is a really cool program.

Patty, how cool about the produce market. Sounds like you have really got something fun there. I think it is great your hubby cooked for you. It's never too late to learn I guess. The question is, what did the kitchen look like after he was done? Mine always made a mega mess and I had to clean it all up.

Well, off to do a little homework before play today.

Farmgirl number 3738

my blog: www.bunnyrose.com
My fabric shop: www.bunnyroseco.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2012 :  10:06:20 AM  Show Profile
For anyone interested in making the crochet flower I showed a bit back, she put a very good tutorial on her website.
Here is the flower to remind you.

And here is the link:

http://attic24.typepad.com/weblog/happy-flower-decoration.html

Have fun... she puts lots of pictures too.

Farmgirl number 3738

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2012 :  11:30:07 AM  Show Profile
Good afternoon everyone,

We had the biggest snowstorm of the season last night. We received about 8 inches of new snow. It is flurrying now. The temperature is hovering around freezing. The snow rumbles off the roof.

We have been buying red comets for the last few years for our laying hens. They are pretty reliable when they do not get eaten by the wild things. One of my projuects for the summer is to make a hen yard with a net cover to the wild things will not eat them.

Someone a while ago noted that their hens fly and did I not notice that mine had wings as well and maybe my raised beds would not be safe. My guineas fly all over and up high. My laying hens only seem to fly when they are frightened or want to get into the cow's stall. They do not seem to look up much. I guess I am wishful thinking that in raised beds my seeds will be safe. I am thinking of putting fencing with doors on hinges on the long sides of the beds. Actually to keep the hens from scratching the seeds I only need to lay the fencing over the soil until the plants sprout.

I made banana bread today with a new recipe. I am not really pleased with it the bread is very airy and bland in taste. I will probaly go back to my old recipe.

Ross has taken to using pantyliners as pretend bandages. He thinks it is a hoot. My 15 yo dd doesnot.

I am game for starting the cross country walk in Maine. I am trying to figure out the guidelines so the lunches and rest stops can be planned to visit the sites. I do not want anyone left behind in ditch or a good shopping store. We need to plan any shopping we do will be followed by a stop at the post office to ship home our finds. I know there is a hundred mile yard sale in the Virginia area maybe? That we can plan the beginning of the trip to be there for that weekend. Anyone know what I have heard about this for more details?

Have a good afternoon.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2012 :  11:43:50 AM  Show Profile
Had a nice dinner out with DH last night. Our favorite "hole in the wall" Mexican Restaurant. It was so busy that we had to wait 10 minutes for a booth. Love to see them doing so well again.

My dearest Gypsy Glenda, send me some seeds, too, please! I really want to try the Red Bird of Paradise in Oakhurst. I read how you briefed Patty on preparing the seeds. Or - you could come out and run frolicking, barefoot, through the grass, scattering seeds with abandon and we would watch from the lanai to see what grows.

Bunny - I did get Paypal to take my order today. I guess I had just messed up my password and by the time I figured it all out - I was timed out. Anyway, today I went back and kinda-almost doubled the order. I am looking forward to an even bigger selection soon. So glad Glenda is working with you on the flowers. I may have to look into a couple of crocheted flower pins, too. I can't let her out-glam me! Besides, I'm thinking crocheted flower pins could make pretty tuck-ins in gifts ... or even part of the wrapping of gifts. I'm getting ideas now. How about a HUGE crocheted flower that I could pin on as a hat? Wish I could crochet! But I do know where to go to BUY them

I'm am now on the fast track to feeling good again. I went out by myself yesterday to the post office and RiteAid. I'm sure I could have done this a week or more ago, but my bodyguards were forbidding it. Then to dinner with DH last night. I get a little run down towards evening - but not bad.

Holly, I haven't forgotten that I'm sending you an AAA Atlas - but I need to get a big envelope to mail it in. I should have gotten one at the p.o. yesterday but my brain wasn't engaged. It's close though, so I'll pick one up on Monday and get it out to you. I think you will like it. Let me know where you want to start. I'm open to whatever you decide.

Well, the sun is shining but it's chilly out. I've downed my morning coffee (got up really late this a.m.) and now think I'll move around a bit. Got the urge to putter.

Sister #3284 - on her Tippie Toes - oxox, Darlys

Chocolate Kisses ...

That is the best ... to laugh with someone because you both think the same things are funny.
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2012 :  11:51:35 AM  Show Profile
Holly, I have a SIL in Virginia. I'll see if she has indulged in that 100 mile yard sale. GF, you are so good at this!

Chocolate Kisses ...

That is the best ... to laugh with someone because you both think the same things are funny.
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2012 :  12:46:15 PM  Show Profile
Bunny don't buy yarn to make my flowers. the idea was for you to make money not spend money. I will pick from what you already have.
Holly you asked about the banana gourd doll I'm working on. I will try to upload a pic but out here in the country even with broadband I seem to have a problem with it.
Patty I found some Red Bird seeds, will get them in the mail Monday.
Kathryn I'm still looking for the yoga CD - I found a few other things I've been wondering about but not that. Oh, the trials and tribulations of getting old----Holly, MJ wouldn't let me upload the pics but I was able to put them on my website. I'm not very good at this type photography.. need better light I think.. not sure.
Ok, ok, Darlys, I'll send you some seeds too. Gheeesh.......I only tease the people I really love.

Glenda #3534
http://www.gypsyglenda.com

Edited by - doll58maker on Feb 25 2012 1:33:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2012 :  1:45:11 PM  Show Profile
Hello all, just want to let you know that yesterday i felt really good and today I am doing ok. I promise I will catch up with everyone soon. Thanks for thinking about me. I got the quilt back from the long arm quilter. I am very proud of it. Hope I can get the binding done this week. Picture soon! taa taa
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2012 :  3:21:09 PM  Show Profile
Glenda, new yarn is as much a gift to myself as anything. I have been so broke I haven't been able to do anything special for myself. The yarn will cheer me up and I will enjoy making my little flowers just that much more.
Your order went out on Friday so you or Ed should be getting it early next week. I should be working instead of vegging in front of my computer!

later all!

Farmgirl number 3738

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2012 :  3:38:42 PM  Show Profile
Hello everyone.

We are on page 200. Seems we got here so quickly. I have been reading the last 2 pages and so much going on.

Bunny- I am so excited to get my fabric. From what Darlys says I am in for a wonderful treat. I hope you will post some more of your fabric.

Kathryn-thank you for the information you sent. I shared it with my DH and we plan to use it. I am looking forward to getting off some of this prescribed medication especially the blood presure meds.

Holly- you got a heap of snow there girl. I'm still down here waiting for some good rain. Roll a few snowballs this way. My DH wants to know if rooster soup has a lot more flavor than chicken soup made with a hen. Maybe he is thinking of getting some roosters?

Thelma-Can't wait to see the quilt you made. I have had to take out the binding on my GD's quilt and will be putting on a new one tomorow and Monday. I will post picture of it and then have to send it off to her. Her bithday is on the 28th.

We are having Stew tonight and I am going to serve it in a few minutes.

Have a good evening.

Hugs,

Nancy #2301

Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2012 :  5:17:55 PM  Show Profile
Deb...Thank You for the Birthday card and lovely tuck-in. I love it. I read it to Mama and she says "Hi" back!Patty sent me a sweet package yesterday too.Thank You! Who says your Birthday can't last all month. Mine certainly has. Thanks girls! You're the best!

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
"Why couldn't I have been born Rich instead of So Good Looking?"

Edited by - herblady55 on Feb 25 2012 5:23:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2012 :  6:03:50 PM  Show Profile
Wow!! Page 200 now. Hard to keep up.
Glenda, that gourd doll is going to be so great. You are such a great sculptor. I used to teach porcelain doll classes, but those were poured from molds. I never was good at sculting. Am anxious to see it when it is done.
Holly, sounds like you had a good amount of snow. We are supposed to get a little bit tomorrow, but a storm coming in on Wednesday, so they say.
Bunny, you do such a fine job crocheting. I crochet and knit , crochet left handed and knit right handed. I taught myself when I was in my 20s. Glad you are getting orders now. Hope that helps you financially.

Janet

Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2012 :  12:25:43 PM  Show Profile
Hi There, we are having sun/calm/36 today. Better than those 60 MPH gusts we had Friday. I got up in the morning to 45/rain/breezy. By
3PM we had those gusts and the temp was dropping. By 10PM we were having a white-out of heavy,wet snow/29. Crazy Ohio! By Tues we are 'spose to be in upper 50's. WHAAAAA??? We go round 'n round 'n.......All our little "birdie-buds" had to find their feathers and glue them back on after that wind we had!Good to see them back at the feeder again. Good thing God was there to keep me calm every time I prayed. I was scared!
Staying in my jammies today, hubby is too. We are having a nice quiet, do-nothing kind of day. God said, "Day of Rest," and Buddy, we are! hahahaha I love those!
Toodles for now!

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
"Why couldn't I have been born Rich instead of So Good Looking?"
Go to Top of Page

debra e
True Blue Farmgirl

261 Posts

Debra
Georgia
USA
261 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2012 :  1:01:14 PM  Show Profile
Hi ladies, The sun is out here in Ga. We to had wind the last few days.(but not like in Ohio) Today is calmer about 50 something and the sun is warm. I should be outside doing a little cleanup but I have been a couch potato with my hubby. He does beeter when he is not moving around so much. (symptoms of vertigo)
Judy, I talked to my neice in Canton Ohio and she said how crazy the weather has been up there lately. She said how bad the winds were and that they were having a white out. Isn't this winter something else. Here in Ga.we have 30 degreedyas,windy days then rainey days and on Tuesday it should be back up into the 70's. Last Thursday we slept with the windows open because it was so warm. My daffodils are up and blooming and some of them are done. They are confused.
Jan and Feb birthday farm girls maybe getting their birthday cards late...(had been taking care of Hubby) but I have got them in the mail and was glad to do it. I know how good it felt to get birthday cards from all of you in Dec. and wanted to return the favor. Hope that you enjoyed your day. (Judy you are welcome for yours.)
Going to go and take a nap. Where is the kitty. She likes to curl up with me and her purring is comforting. Hugs to all,
Debra e

Farmgirl Sister
Go to Top of Page

janiee
True Blue Farmgirl

820 Posts

Janie
Shawnee Oklahoma
USA
820 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2012 :  06:24:08 AM  Show Profile
hi gals! everyone seems so busy these days...i was so proud of myself this weekend. i fixed my lawnmower and mowed the back yard - it needed a new air filter. so much easier to use the gas one than the one i have to push myself. also canned 5 pints of strawberry lemonade concentrate. recipe called for 7 pints but 2 of them didn't seal good so i have them in the refrigerator and will be drinking them this week. first time i canned anything. next thing i plan on canning is pinto beans and chicken soup. got my new pressure canner/cooker friday and just love it! makes me a giddy inside. not sure how my furbabies will enjoy the noise once i get it to going but hey, they can go outside while i work. speaking of work, better get back at it~!
love and hugs
janiee
farmgirl #390
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2012 :  10:47:27 AM  Show Profile
Jane, I have never heard of canning lemonade concentrate. How cool is that! I love that you added the strawberry too. I bet it is much better than anything in the store. Sounds like you have some cool new toys. I use to can stuff. Got lazy and now really don't have the stuff to do it.

Not much going on. Made some more crochet flowers last night. The kitties helped so much I had to quite. One kitty kept sitting on the scissors, another was trying to eat the yarn. I finally gave up and put everything away.
Well, today is a big homework day. I have lots of writing to do so I better get to it.
Later everyone. Hope you stay warm and healthy!

Farmgirl number 3738

My blog: www.bunnyrose.com
My shop: www.bunnyroseco.com

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2012 :  11:35:14 AM  Show Profile
Good morning all .... Its a bright, but much cooler, day in Cupertino. I'm sitting here watching the hummingbirds with my morning coffee and contemplating my muse. The peach tree buds are bursting. I'll take a picture later. We are supposed to get much needed rain on Wednesday - so I'm going to take this opportunity to actually run some errands. I promised NOT to go grocery shopping (too much lifting) so I think I'll stop by Michael's and Joann's to see if there is anything exciting in the "crafty" departments. Might as well since we got a notice that our water will probably be turned off today - anytime between 8:30-5. The HOA is looking for a main leak somewhere. So far, it looks like I'll be able to make a potty stop before going out.

We watched the Academy Awards last night. Although I wasn't rooting for anybody or any picture ... I was still glad that Merle Streep got best actress. I want to see Iron Lady. I read, but didn't see, The Help...and was happy for Octavia Spencer. I've heard so many good things about The Artist that I want to see that, too. One thing for sure, there won't be any expletives in it! And as for the gowns - the colors were lush and most of the designs were a pleasure to see. It was nice to see style back in gorgeous dresses. (There was so much skin showing in years past that I'd wonder: If she'd paid just little bit more, might she have gotten the whole dress?) So, it was a pleasant evening on the couch eating leftover meatloaf and potatoes in my less than glamorous sweater and jeans.

I just had the most delightful call from Nancy. We ohhhed and ahhhed over the fabric we ordered from Bunny. Don't know about the rest of the states - but here in CA the sales tax is about 9.5% and getting the fabric from Oregon saves me that tax PLUS her prices are so low (saving me about $3-$4 a yard from a quilt shop) that I wind up saving a ton of money and getting my fabric fix to boot! Did I mention we're talkin' "quality" too? Okay, I know I am shouting from the rooftops - but I just want to share bunnyroseco.com with EVERYONE.

Water's off. Good time to go out.

Chocolate Kisses ...

Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2012 :  11:37:06 AM  Show Profile
Feeling great! Just got my computer back again! Photography class tonight! Storm on the way - maybe! Taa taa until tomorrow.
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2012 :  1:02:49 PM  Show Profile
Darlys, I'm so glad you posted. It reminded me to put your package out on the porch for the postal lady to pick up. It will go out today. I put a few more treats in for fun. Thank you so much for your support. I have a bunch of fabrics ready to put on my site. I just needed to have a bit of a pow wow with the website guru's about how to list them faster.

Have fun at the crafty stores. I always get in big trouble at Michael's. Thankfully I haven't found one in Portland yet. But they have a giant fabric store called Fabric Depot. When they have discount days .... I go into sweats and shaking because I can't go! Too much fabric here to deal with. If anyone saw all the fabric I have they would kick me if I even thought about going into a fabric store.

Anyway, I need to get homework done. I just got distracted and cleaned my sewing room floor. BIG mess!

Farmgirl number 3738

My blog: www.bunnyrose.com
My shop: www.bunnyroseco.com

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

Cooknnana
True Blue Farmgirl

213 Posts

Kathryn
Chandler OK
USA
213 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2012 :  1:48:26 PM  Show Profile
Darlys; I'm in no position to try and convince anyone of anything; I just like to pass along info as it comes to me and if some one wants to check it out and use it, or not, is completely up to them. I'm just "called" to be a messenger, so to speak. I will be happy to email to the links, if you want. I've seen that 100 mile yard sale featured on the HGTV station; it is way cool!

Glenda: I'm so glad you got to go home. You must be so happy to see your own place Wow! So much info… I'm going to print this page and take it home with me as a quick reference. lol I have started saving scraps, but didn't know quite what to do with them when my small container got full. I do have some empty totes in the shed...there's also a couple 5 gallon paint buckets lying around in junk piles. Great ideas, thanks. My son-in-law's mother works at Wal Mart, in the pharmacy, but she may know the people working in the garden dept. to introduce me...We also have an Atwoods farm supply and an hardware/nursery that I'm going to have to visit, as well. I'd like a few flowers, but yes, mostly I would like veggies and herbs. I have some seed, my friend left for me, however I would like some peas, runner beans and squash (any kind) and any herbs. I don't have any seeds for them. Well, just anything would feel like it's a birthday like I have never had before. *giggling giddily* I have a 60'x100' lot, so most of what I grow will have to go "up", you know? I get my chickens from a new friend who raises them, but the info will come in handy for other things too, I think. I have been saving glass and plastic jars, along with some deep lids, to put something in. I’ve been wanting to join the local garden club; I guess there’s no time like the present. I know a couple people who raise some sort of live-stock that I can see if they are willing to share some of their fertilizer; now, question…should or could I put some of this fertilizer in my compost? Or would that not be good? I’m so excited! Now I have things that I can actually do. Right now! Oh, and, hey, it’s okay about the dvd. If you find it, great, I’d love to have it, if not, well, I’ll figure something else out. Don’t stress yourself out about and definitely do anything that hurt you or something; you know, lifting and all that… I like the idea of the blog for my house progress. Does it cost money to set up a blog site?

Bunny: You are certainly right about boys who eat like locusts. I had 3 brothers and it was all my parents could do to keep up with their food intake. Haha We’ve had some very windy days here too, but then, this is Oklahoma…”where the wind comes sweeping down the plain…” Yeah, sorry about that; lost my head for a second there. *giggle* Oh, and I’ve seen a demo of that ‘Dragon’ program…way cool; good present, mom. Have fun with the homework.

Patty: It’s supposed to rain here tonight and tomorrow; possibly some serious stuff, too. Thunderstorms, hail, and maybe, maybe even a twister or two. Ooh fun! I just can’t wait to miss it, I hope. I’m glad you found the info, I sent, useful; I haven’t been shopping, yet, but I too will be stocking up.

Holly: My great-grandmother lived in Vermont; first in Brattleboro, then in Newfane. When we still live in MA we visited her almost every week; I loved it there. I remember one winter we ended up spending the weekend because of a snow storm. The snow got so high, my father and brothers had to go up into the attic and climb out this hatch door out onto the roof to start moving the snow away from the doors and window. I thought that was the greatest things and was very disappointed when I wasn’t allowed to join then… *heavy sigh*”Those were the days, my friend…” Oh, did it again, didn’t I, sorry. *giggling*

Thelma: I’m so glad you are starting to feel better.

Nancy: winter has gone some good food in, you know? Stew, yum. I love soups and stews; they warm the heart as well as the tummy…#61514;

Judy: I love those days; where jammies are in style and you don’t even have to go out the door if you don’t want to. I was in my jammies all weekend, but I wasn’t having very much fun doing it this weekend. Let’s just say it was a painful weekend. Our weather has been crazy too and it doesn’t make this body too happy. We’ve been gusting to 30/40 mph; the house rattled and shook pretty good a few times and I’ll have to pick up things out in the yard that blew in from someone else’s, but that’s how it goes. Maybe something really good blew in, huh?

I used to do some canning with my mother when I was a kid. I liked it a lot. It was really hard work, but so worth it when winter came and we could have the jam and pickle and everything else we put up. We never did lemonade, though. You said you made it to be a concentrate…how do you do that? Do you dehydrate it or something? I always like it when I can fix something, myself. I used to fix my car all the time, and believe me, that car needed fixing all the time, too. Lol

Another long one, I know, but it’s only on Mondays…I have a lot of catching up to do come Mondays, as I don’t have internet at home…I hope you don’t mind.

I’m working on my first dottee doll and it’s coming along. Slowly, but nice. I’m thinking I’m going to make one for my granddaughter’s birthday next week. I’ll post a picture and sell what you all think… Later.

Hugs!!

If there is a will, there's a way; find your way!

Sister #3282
Go to Top of Page

Cooknnana
True Blue Farmgirl

213 Posts

Kathryn
Chandler OK
USA
213 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2012 :  2:01:46 PM  Show Profile
Thelma: I'm so happy you are doing better! Have fun at class...

Darlys: I love to sit and watch the birds; I have this persimmon tree outside one of the front windows and, although there's nothing on it, they just love it. I sometimes will sit there for about an hour or so just watching their antics... It's calming and entertaining too; who needs tv, right? Well, okay, I do...sometimes. I didn't catch the awards this year (I don't have tv right now, so all I can watch is movies, unless I go to my daughter's, that is, but I've often wonder where class and style went, because it certainly left Los Angeles. lol I'm so jealous about the fabric too...*heavy sigh* Some day...:)

If there is a will, there's a way; find your way!

Sister #3282
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2012 :  3:49:34 PM  Show Profile
Hello everyone. Thelma, I am glad you are feeling better. what camera are you using and what are they teaching you todo with it? I would like details...debra E hope you had a good weekend with hubby feeling better and better. Darlys, I'll try to catch up with you tomorrow, so glad you are feeling well enough to go out - Kathryn, be sure to put holes in the bottom of whatever you put your scraps in and be sure to completely cover with a layer of dirt or you will have a stinky mess. Absolutely no meat,dairy, etc. I wouldn't put fertilizer in the compost but I'm no expert, someone else might advise you on that. Maybe a little of the neighbor's chicken poop? The bigger container the bettter - I first learned about this layering without having to turn the stuff was someone using garbage cans. It needs to create some heat to work best so maybe fertilizer, I'm not sure. fertilizer would create heat, but still somebody else needs to weigh in on this. I know some people just reserve a bed and mix their scraps in there then use it the next year and alternate beds. my mom does this with her tiny garden in town. Of course you have to stop sometime and let it compost or you will aways have raw materials on top, that's why the fancy compost bins are set up so you can take it out at the bottom. Anytime you can mix a little potting soil in with it will help, too. Bear in mind, this isn't the ideal way to compost, but it is a way. If you join a garden club you will get all sorts of ideas and help. Some of the old diehards think their way is the only way but we know better-there are many ways----per your closing line, my friend. So far the Yoga DVD isnt to be found but I'm still looking. Blogs are free I bought a domain name for $10 but I don't think I had to do that. I am a newbie at that so can't really advise. I'm still trying to figure out what I'm doing on mine. I hope you will do it, it will be a lot of fun and people can post comments that will help and encourage you. Janet, thanks for your comment... I enjoy the sculpting - wish I had time to do more of it. I think Nancy is having a birthday? I'm so lousy at snail mail I did not make it to the Post office today but it drizzled all day and I had a ton of paperwork to do. still not sure when the drs are going to get me in to be fixed. They got the last test results they needed on Fri, I called today and the nurse said his first available date would be Mar 13. I sure hope he doesn't make me wait that long. his part will be 3 hours and then the OBgyn has to do his part. but after I had a little chat with her she said she would go find the doctor and talk with him and call me tomorrow. She returned my call without knowing any of the details so I'm hoping she is wrong. At least I should get an answer tomorrow whether I like what they say or not. My brother got through his 3rd chemo, on his worst days he wants to give up but then he gets a little better. My little sister sure has come through like a champ on this. I am very proud of her and now hopefully she will be proud of herself. And, as they say, everything happens in 3's my children's father survived his open heart surgery but barely. He is alive on a breathing aparatus and they are going to have to do a trach and send him to a long term care center. I do not believe he will live from what I am told but my children hold out hope, as they must.
Bunny, don't go near the fabric stores, you fabriholic, you!! how's that for spelling!
The rest of you farm sista's I'll catch up with you later. love and hugs to all

Glenda #3534
Go to Top of Page

DEW
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

Dianne
Weiser Idaho
USA
317 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2012 :  4:20:46 PM  Show Profile
Hi Everyone

Wow everyone is busy. I took the weekend off. It was col, rainy, and windy, so we stayed in and watched movies. Every now and then you have to take a weekend off and just cuddle. The next two will be busy. We did get the bunnies combed and clipped. Well one of the buunie is done the other is not impressed! I will have before and after pictures posted soon.

Darlys glad you are feeling better. Once you get over the hump. You start to get better fast. By the end of the 6 weeks you will feel like your self or maybe even better

Bunny is there such a thing as too much fabric? LOL I have lots and i still go to the fabric stores when they have a sale. My favorite thing when we travel is to stop at different quilt shops just to see and buy fabric. Makes my DH crazy sometimes.

Holly I would love to go to the yard sale. Is it really 100 miles long? We may have to hit the post office a couple of timme along the that yard sale .LOL

I am kind of dreding going home.
I made a Dr app. for DH. he has been putting it off for about a year. He has a mole on his back. It is not real big but lumpy and well you get the idea. It needs looked at. Also he has a hurnia. has had it for a while and it is getting bad. He wears a belt but he is standing funny so it dosen't hurt. Now his back bothers him. Well Duh!!!!
Any way i made an appointment for him, so we will see what the Dr. has to say.

Dianne (ID)
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2012 :  5:49:54 PM  Show Profile
Hi, Dianne--get that hubby in to see the doctors - the longer you wait the worse it can be...these big strong guys sometimes think they will just tough it out - not a good idea!

Kathryn I got to thinking about some of the info I gave you and I found some more interesting stuff in one of my gardening books. Would take too much space here so I'll put it on my blog.

I think I do better out here in the country where it is too far to go shopping. Altho as long as there is internet........
Just talked to Ed, he said I got a pkg from "bunny something or other" So I'm guessing my fabric has arrived--that was fast!!

Glenda #3534
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2012 :  6:19:23 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

Brattleboro is about 2 1/2 hours by car from here. Newfane is north of Brattleboro so a little closer. Where did you live in Massachusetts, Kathryn? I lived north of Boston in Andover in Tewksbury and then we moved to western Mass to Rowe and then Savoy.

We have weeds called Stinging nettles around here. They make a great fertilizer if you put them in a bucket of water to let them rot. It is hard to pick them because they hurt so much when they hit your skin. They are young you can pick the leaves and make a nice tea. People also saute/steam them and eat them as vegetables when the leaves are young. so many uses for a plant that is so painful.

Today was cold and cloudy. I am glad that you all west of me give me fair warning for the weather.

Anyone heard from Penny recently?

I made pizza bread for the children yesterday and today. Talie is going to acting camp this week and needed lunches so I made 23 pizza rolls. Ross had the 24th to play with. Talie took all but 6 rolls and packaged them up for his 4 days of lunches and snacks. The other children were not happy. He also ate 2 for breakfast today before he left. Please mama make some more. So, I made 24 more. Pizza bread is just a bread recipe, divided up like for rolls. I roll the balls out, put on tomato sauce, pepperoni and mozzarella cheese and then roll them up. Let rise and cook. Today's rolls had no pepperoni because I ran out yesterday. Didn't seem to make a jot of difference to the children.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 218 **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Farmgirls over age 50 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page