doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2012 :  7:53:54 PM  Show Profile
Holly we have stinging nettle here, too. yes it is awful if you walk into it with bare skin. Penny posted a comment on my blog so i know she's around but we're not hearing from her==what's up Penny girl....your sistas need to hear from you. I am starting to sound like the mama hen rather than the chicks. keeping you gals in line..Holly I was about to start worrying about you - your post was kinda short.....nearly 50 pizza rolls---guess it's understandable you are a little short on time. I have trouble feeding myself when I am out here by myself.....nothing sounds good and I just don't want to fool with cooking. Wish I had one of those pizza rolls they do sound good with or without the pepperoni.
P.S. Holly I put the etched gourd on the blog - its under "work in progress" I think.
Glenda #3534
http://www.gypsyglenda.com

Edited by - doll58maker on Feb 27 2012 8:00:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

craftbug
True Blue Farmgirl

545 Posts

Patsy
Clarkson Kentucky
USA
545 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2012 :  8:20:28 PM  Show Profile  Send craftbug a Yahoo! Message
what a gabby bunch...speaking of which:
Judy: 2000 posts? wow, girl! do i say "congrats" or "what in the world?" lol
glad you are STILL enjoying your birthday. wasn't that so much fun chatting with our 3 kids in skype today?

supposed to be upper 60s tomorrow, going to use my wringer washer and get that laundry done. nothing beats fresh line dried laundry and they couldn't bottle anything that would come close to that smell! Amen? Amen!

Hubby picked me a bouquet of daffodils and I cut a handful of forsythia branches and put them in a quart jar, added water and put them on the table. didn't know daffodils could smell so gooooood! the forsythia is starting to open. will see about getting a pic if they do any good.

Make my words soft and tender, for I may have to eat them. :)
Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2012 :  8:27:30 PM  Show Profile
Good evening. What a busy weekend I have had. Fri was produce day, Saturday I butchered some roosters for my Aunt, and Sunday we watched chickens hatch and had company for dinner. Today, I went to pick up more quail eggs and got another brooder ready.
Janie- I made some strawberry lemonade concentrate last week. I found it on pinterest. I froze what I didn't use. You can, can it? I also canned pinto beans just this morning after letting them soak overnight. I like to keep them on hand for Pasta Fagoli. It is a delicious Italian dish that my mother-in-law taught me to make. Having the beans canned sure saves time when I am wanting something quick, and is so much cheaper than store bought canned beans. I buy my beans in 25 lb bags. Sometimes I add a ham base to the jars for seasoning, and sometimes I add some chili powder. I use 3 lbs (or 6 cups) of dried beans for every canner full that I make. Well. I have to make a trip to Clinton, Il tomorrow (almost 2 hour drive) to deliver a pigeon. I am off of here and heading to bed. Have a good night.

Patty #1840

http://ladygonegreen.blogspot.com/

A rind is a terrible thing to waste. Compost.

When they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, “Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted.”
-Jesus in John 6:12 NIV Bible

Edited by - thebyrdhaus on Feb 27 2012 8:53:23 PM
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2012 :  9:18:22 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Hi all, ok, didn't mean to be MIA, had a busy Thurs., Fri, Sat and Sun....and today has been crazy, was out of town Thurs. and Friday then had company over weekend and showed my friend to make that homemade bread and pretzels I talked about a week or so ago...she isn't a baker..so it was very interesting...anyway...I will be back soon to post the wonder two packages I got recently. One from Peggy Ann and one from Patty for being FGOTM...I want to take a pic and post it and tell ya'll all about it...so hopefully tomorrow....I've started reading the post today, but haven't had time to post to each of you...so when I come back tomorrow just going to start from this post forward...hehe...since I'm so far behind...sorry, didn't mean to worry anyone...and thank you so much for caring, it means the world to me...

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...

http://ourgeorgiafarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2012 :  05:05:40 AM  Show Profile
Janiee- good for you, doing that canning. You can be so proud of yourself. Our temperature her is going to be really warm this week. Wish I had some of that lemonade here to drink. I will have to think about canning some of that myself. Oops. I don't know how to can! Have to get my DH to do it. He has canned lots of things before.

Bunny- I am going to my sewing group today and will tell them about your fabrics for sale online. I am going to give them your site address and if they want to buy any they can go there. I hope that is okay with you. They are lovely Christian women and make beautiful quilts. Your fabrics are so special I think they would really like them.

Have a great day everyone. I have a busy one today. Going out to lunch with DH. Then home to read my mail and cards and see what DH has in that box he has been trying to hide from me. I am going to call my youngest GD to wish her Happy Birthday and she can wish me Happy Birthday. We have a big laugh every year as we sing the Birthday song to each other. So fun, my DD was born on the 26th and my GD on the 28th.

Hugs to everyone of you lovelies,

Nancy #2301

Make everyday a celebration of the heart.

Laughing is good exercise. It is like jogging on the inside.
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2012 :  06:50:31 AM  Show Profile
HAPPY BIRTHDAY Nancy!!!!! Hope you have a wonderful day.

Janet

Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2012 :  07:24:52 AM  Show Profile
Happy Birthday Nancy. How nice to have your daughter's birthday so close and to share yours with your granddaughter. Can't wait to hear what your dh got you. Enjoy your day.

Marianne
Go to Top of Page

Cooknnana
True Blue Farmgirl

213 Posts

Kathryn
Chandler OK
USA
213 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2012 :  07:38:46 AM  Show Profile
Glenda: I have a few empty totes in the shed that I think will make great compost bins...and planters too, in fact. Yes, I will remember to put hole in them...for drainage, right? How about "watering" them with used water from cooking pasta and veggies...?
I'll be sure to check out your blog for that other info too...Thank you so much for all your help and suggestions. I always knew there was a way; I guess I just needed some help to get my brain in gear.

Dianne: I lift up your hubby up in prayer;I'll pray that it's nothing serious and that his hernia miraculously goes away. I believe in miracles; it could happen, you know. Try not to worry, though, until you know for sure, okay?

Holly: I was born in Pittsfield,I lived in Holyoke until I was 5 and then we moved to Chicopee Falls, near Springfield. Pizza...hmmmm...that gives me an idea...I'm staying with a couple kids for the weekend; they are cousins to my GD's, and having them make their own pizzas would be fun and easier on me too. They are 9 and 12, so they can handle it just fine; heck, even my 2 yr old GD like to cook with me, soooo.I like it! Thanks for the idea! *giggle, giggle*

I'm going to have to check out my town and see if there some clubs, i.e. gardening, sewing, etc...I tried looking in the phone book, but that yielded nothing. I guess I'll have to call the city, itself, I guess, huh.

I'm a fabric-aholic too; well I'm a Michael's and Hobby Lobby-aholic too. *giggle* I guess it's a good thing I don't have any money, because...I wouldn't have any money... Tee-hee-hee rofl

Have a great day, girlfriends! I'll talk to you later!

HUG!!

If there is a will, there's a way; find your way!

Sister #3282
Go to Top of Page

Cooknnana
True Blue Farmgirl

213 Posts

Kathryn
Chandler OK
USA
213 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2012 :  07:42:23 AM  Show Profile
Happy Birthday to you...Happy Birthday to you...Happy Birthday dear Nannnnccccyyyy...Happy Birthday toooooo Youuuuu. And Many more....:)

Sister #3282
Go to Top of Page

debra e
True Blue Farmgirl

261 Posts

Debra
Georgia
USA
261 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2012 :  08:23:49 AM  Show Profile
Hey Ladies, It is going to b a busy errand day for me today. So I am going to quick. P Penny, good to see you back on the farm again. We were wondering where you were.
Happy Birthday Nancy!
and for anyone that likes to watch birds...The Decorah Eagles are back in the nest this year with 3 eggs that have been laid. I watched this happen last year. It is a live 24 hour feed of Bald eagles with eggs. You will see the eggs hatch and watch the eagletts grow and fly off. Check it out it is amazing to watch.
www.sportsmansparadiseonline.com/Decorah_Bald_Eagle_Nest
Yall have a good day and will chat later.

debra e

Farmgirl Sister
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2012 :  08:54:07 AM  Show Profile
Happy birthday, Nancy! Sounds like you have a busy day planned. Can't wait to read what is in that box!

Debra, we live fairly close to Decorah, and check out the eagle cam at least a couple of days. Pretty cool, huh!

Farmgirl sister #3926

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2012 :  10:18:26 AM  Show Profile
Kathryn, I don't know if they have Sutherlands where you live but I just saw in the paper they have their seeds for 10 cents a pack. I will stop by when I leave the boonies and go back to civilization if they still have them I'll pick up some for you - what a deal. what size town do you live in?

Glenda #3534
Go to Top of Page

Cooknnana
True Blue Farmgirl

213 Posts

Kathryn
Chandler OK
USA
213 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2012 :  10:32:52 AM  Show Profile
Glenda, I live in a smallish town on route 66. I think it's actually a city, but not all that big, though the county building are here; the courthouse, DHS,the health dept, etc... I've never heard of Sutherlands, though. We have an Atwoods, though; it a small farm supply store. They might have the same type of deal going on. I'll check it out; I have a few dimes...lol

Sister #3282
Go to Top of Page

janiee
True Blue Farmgirl

820 Posts

Janie
Shawnee Oklahoma
USA
820 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2012 :  11:50:22 AM  Show Profile
hi gals! patty thanks for the kind words. I am now hooked on canning - this coming weekend am going to try praline syrup and pinto beans-just to see how it goes. if all goes well, i will e caning beef stew and chicken soup during spring break in March..
bunny, love love love the fabric! now if i only had lots of money...sigh
won't be planting a garden this year. have tried 3 years and only grew onions one year and nothing the rest of the time. we have a farmers market about 3 blocks from where i live, so i will go there and get my supplies when it is time.
well, got to get back to work.
hugs all!
janiee
farmgirl #390
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2012 :  12:08:41 PM  Show Profile
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU, HAPPY BIRTHDAY - DEAR NANCY -- HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU.

My DD celebrated her 52nd (yes, 52nd - obviously I was a baby having babies) birthday in Peru yesterday. She will be back in the US sometime today.

I have spent the morning cleaning out the 3 drawers in my bedstand. I can't believe how much junk I managed to accumulate in there. I filled a grocery bag with paper trash to shred or just toss (catalogs, etc), discovered a Bon Appetit magazine from last summer still in it's plastic wrapper! I have got to pick up the pace on weeding out stuff. The Methodist Church (that we Lutherans share a facility with) is having a rummage sale next month. But now - thanks to the farm - I tend to wonder if what I am donating is something I could possibly re-imagine. This is a good thing AND a bad thing!

Holly, I will be sending the AAA Atlas to you today ... I think (hope) you'll like it. I think the pizza rolls sound so good! I think I'll try whipping up a batch. What bread recipe did you use? (I have several, but am thinking one is probably better than another.)

Patty -- I am always so impressed that you often leave me at a loss for words! There are times I wish I could turn back the clock and be the whirling dervish I was in my 50s. but then again ... life has been more serene and sweet in my 60s ... so I guess I'll just continue to be pleasantly awed by you.

Penny ... glad you're back, gf. You been a busy bee.

Debra ... keeping you and your husband in prayers that strength and normalcy returns quickly now.

Dianne ... Thank you so much for your continuing encouragement. It makes me feel like there really is an end in sight. I just passed the 3 week mark and am getting stronger - but dang! I do get pretty tired as the day goes on. I'm telling myself - Dianne says 6 weeks -- that's less than 3 weeks to go! Your DH does have to get in and get his issues taken care of. Glad you're getting him in to the doctor. It hurts when someone you love hurts. He may not like going but he's gotta do it for you.

Kathryn ... Going to the p.o. again today. Watch your mail. 'Nuff said.

Bunny ... I'm waiting for the UPS guy! Love packages.

Now, look at our little Gypsy Glenda - she can hardly wait to get her issues resolved. That tough little Texan, in the meantime, is on here taking care of everybody! AND writing a blog - and doing her art - dealing with family matters - and keeping her Ed on his toes! WooHoo! Whata gal!

Patsy - I can hardly wait to get back to Oakhurst to see if any of the daffodils DH planted last fall have peeked through. Just another week & a half b/4 I can travel again.

The weather here has turned again. We are supposed to have snow down to 2000 feet - so if it keeps moving through Tahoe southward thru the Sierra's we could actually have snow in Oakhurst (2500 ft). We woke up this morning to the tail end of one rainfall. There are dark clouds in the distance, moving this way. We are supposed to get more rain, off and on, until Thursday. It's like a few days of winter - then it will warm up again.

Okay, my sisters, I was going to get off here and peruse the Gypsy's blog. But, my "it's noon!" alarm on my phone just went off telling me I've got to get up and get moving. Sooooo .... I have to move around for a while before I can indulge my curiosity as to what the glamorous and gifted Glenda has penned.

Sister #3284 - on her Tippie Toes - oxox, Darlys

Chocolate Kisses ...

That is the best ... to laugh with someone because you both think the same things are funny.
Go to Top of Page

debra e
True Blue Farmgirl

261 Posts

Debra
Georgia
USA
261 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2012 :  12:41:44 PM  Show Profile
Hey Daryls, I went back a few post to try and see what you mean by the 3 week mark and your getting stronger. Did you have some kind of surgery? I had been out of touch with everyone so I missed that info. (sorry)
Thank you for the prayers for Hubby, He is going back to the dr tomorrow and they are going to run some test and do lab work.He is better but not himself. Still not driving much for he is swimmy in the head and tires out. (and I won't let him drive...I am nervous about him getting in traffic here)
The weather is rainy and damp but it is ok for we need to have some water to fill up our lakes that are down about 9 ft. The gloomy day makes me appreciate the sunny ones more.
Have a great night, Debra e

Farmgirl Sister
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2012 :  2:59:01 PM  Show Profile
*singing* Happy Birthday to Youuuu,Happy Birthday to Youuuu,
Happy Birthday God Bless Youuuuuu
Happy Birthday to Youuuuuuuuuuuuuu!
And many moooooorrrrrre!
Happy Birthday Nancy!

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
"Why couldn't I have been born Rich instead of So Good Looking?"
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2012 :  5:04:14 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

First of all Janiee you must get your address and birthday to Penny so we know when it is.

Kathryn I have a brother in West Springfield. I know about Pittsfield because a college classmate of my mother's lived there and we visited her a few times. Her name was Mary Kelley. That is all I remember about her was that her name was a green color. I went to UMASS in Amherst as well.

It is interesting to me reading about the changes in the weather and flora in other parts of the country. Daffodils already. WOW! A wringer washer, do you use this all the time? I love love love the smell of line dried clothes. I was thinking of hanging the clothes out last week even with snow on the ground but when I had the porch redone this last fall my clothes pins disappeared. It is hard to find good strong clothespins anymore. I bought a pile at a yard sale and now it has dawned on me that they are gone. Anyway, we are getting more snow this week than we have received all winter.

Patty when you butcher the chickens do you lop off their heads or wring them? I am trying to figure out the logistics of doing our own birds this summer and I am wondering what to do with all of the blood. I do not want all of the wild things in the neighborhood coming and spending the evening in my front yard lapping it up.

Glenda I like the way you have decorated the gourd. I could not for the life of me figure out why you would decorate the gourd if you were going to dress her. Now I see that the etching is the dress. I tried to comment on the blog but it then asked me to pick a way to sign the message and I did not understand which method to pick.

I made butter today. I have a recipe for buttermilk cheese that I am going to try tomorrow. I had to let it sit out for 12 hours or so.
I guess the recipe I use to make pizza bread is a white bread recipe but I used some whole wheat flour in it. This time I kneaded in leftover oatmeal and used buttermilk because I had it.

http://www.dogwork.com/owfo8/ Here is a link for an owl landing to take some meat. My brother says it is a captured owl. He says you can see the bands on its legs and the man's hand in the lower part of the picture. Nevertheless it is a fascinating picture.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499

Edited by - Tall Holly on Feb 28 2012 5:06:14 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2012 :  5:48:29 PM  Show Profile
Happy Birthday Nancy! Have a wonderful Day. Of course you can tell all your quilting friends about my site. I have changed the shipping policy though. I got a few orders that were small and the shipping pretty much took out any profit over my cost of the fabric. So I have a code now that allows free shipping on orders over $50.00. It wasn't working the other day, so I will refund shipping charges if it doesn't work. Let them know. I don't want any angry customers.

Glenda, I love the picture on your blog! And your little guy is amazing. What a talent you have. I loved the gourd and everything else! I hope you will show us when you are done.

I found out today I got the top grade in my final for one of my classes. I was pretty jazzed. I'm pretty sure I'll get an A in the class. My accounting class... I'm getting a B so far. Not happy about that. I need an A to please ME!
Not much else .. its cold outside but not miserably. It was 24 degrees this morning and 39 when I came home from school at 4:40pm. Tomorrow it says a little snow, a little sun, and some clouds. So really what is the weather going to do. I think I'll just look out the window in the morning.

Well, later for now. Off to do dinner and it's TV night! yea! I'm still creating flowers. I should have some to show off soon.

Farmgirl number 3738

My blog: www.bunnyrose.com
My shop: www.bunnyroseco.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2012 :  5:57:21 PM  Show Profile
Glenda, sooo embarrassed. Your little gourd person is a woman? Sorry my bad. :P

Farmgirl number 3738

My blog: www.bunnyrose.com
My shop: www.bunnyroseco.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2012 :  7:02:24 PM  Show Profile
Bunny, so far it could be either....sometimes they start out one way and end up the other. The gourd sorta dictates it should be a dress, but I really never know.....so it could end up being a "he" ......I just need to get the darn thing finished. the hair and makeup will turn the head into a 'she" I think (hope) Now the heat is on to get it done so all you gals won't find out I never finish anythi
The bigger head with the elf like features is definitely a "he"
Im dying to see my fabric. looks now like I will be going back to the city this weekend. I'm so happy you are getting orders. And good luck with those grades, you will do fine.

I'm a little jealous of Patty and Janie and all that canning. you gals are amazing...I never really learned how to do that, made jam and jelly a few times but that's it. I used to see my mom and grandma canning and it looked like hard work. of course there was no a/c and canning was always done in the summer. I just never thought about all the different things you could can other than garden veggies. I'm still learning....
.good nite all

Glenda #3534
Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2012 :  7:46:58 PM  Show Profile
Good evening. I am pretty much exhausted tonight. Road trip to deliver a pigeon and back to Menard's to buy roofing for the quail coop and wire to cover the brooder. I worry about cats getting into the brooder. We got the brooder ready and moved 18 chicks into it. I put a wireless thermometer in it so I could monitor the temperature from inside the house. We still have more chicks pipping, so hopefully they will all be finished from this set tomorrow. I put 2 more dozen eggs in the hatcher this evening. They will start hatching in 2 days. I should have quail start hatching in a few days as well. They will keep me exhausted! Canned another 7 qts of beans and have 3 more lbs soaking. I hope I sleep well tonight. :)

Patty #1840

http://ladygonegreen.blogspot.com/

A rind is a terrible thing to waste. Compost.

When they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, “Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted.”
-Jesus in John 6:12 NIV Bible
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2012 :  8:27:06 PM  Show Profile
awwwww Patty, what a cute little chicky.
I just wanted to post pics of what Patty and Deb sent me.
BTW Patty, did I mention that I collect unusual eggs. I have a basket full.Thanks again for the 3 newspaper ones you sent.

You Gals sure are talented! I'm envious!
I love the sherbet colors in the Bible-Bookmark Deb!
Oh, Mama got her Get-Well card today and said to Thank YOU! This cold really has her down!

Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2012 :  8:30:05 PM  Show Profile

Here's a close-up of these!

Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2012 :  8:58:53 PM  Show Profile
Wow. Patty you are really doing alot! That chick is too cute!
marianne
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 218 **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Farmgirls over age 50 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page