Clumboy
True Blue Farmgirl

62 Posts

Chris
Walkerton IN
USA
62 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2012 :  4:30:30 PM  Show Profile
bunny==you crack me up--gave up tile mosaic to do fabric mosaic--GOOD FOR YOU!!!! quilting was never one of my strong suits. slopping around, breaking stuff and getting grout all over me--now yer talkin. hi kathryn--mosaic is not difficult at all. you need a few things like glass cutters and tile nippers and a GOOD PAIR OF SAFETY GLASSES which you MUST wear whenever you are cutting glass--even if you wear glasses anyway--get the big kind that fit over them. you can also just buy square tile and use it uncut to make your designs. most glass tile is suitable for outdoor use (like in a stepping stone). but pique assiette (the kind of mosaic that uses broken plates) is also okay for outdoors and really is a ton of fun. you can cut your plates or cover them up with a towel or several layers of newspaper and mash them with a hammer. here is a website with lovely work on it--she uses broken plates and tiles and porcelain flowers and all kinds of things and her work is lovely. http://melissasmotif.com/
and this is a link to an excellent blog with some very good tutorial information:
http://mosaictipsandtricks.blogspot.com/2009/06/mosaic-style-pique-assiette-defined.html
will post pics when i get some taken--first birdhouse is essentially finished.

not a boy--long story
Go to Top of Page

Cooknnana
True Blue Farmgirl

213 Posts

Kathryn
Chandler OK
USA
213 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2012 :  7:46:52 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the information, Chris. by the way, are you and yours okay? I was reading about the tornadoes there; wicked bad stuff. I hope all is well.

If there is a will, there's a way; find your way!

Sister #3282
Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2012 :  9:04:33 PM  Show Profile
Good evening ladies. Every time I get on here I so want to use my notepad to respond to each and every one of you...but seriously I am so exhausted when I take the time to sit down here. I hope you all understand. I enjoy reading about everything you are in to, and I still have those of you who need prayers on my prayer list, and manage to say a prayer for you and your families. Today was market day. Like a crazy fool I bought extras. I bought a case of apples, that I will use to can apple pie filling. I also bought a case of green beans for $5 that I will can. I canned some sweet potatoes from the market this evening, some mixed veggies and now have a canner of green beans processing. As soon as the beans are done...I am going to bed. We have another batch of chicks hatching out today, they will probably finish up tomorrow.
We are making a road trip to Missouri tomorrow to visit 2 of our boys. I hate to go...I have too much going on here. And my lower back has been KILLING me. I know... I probably caused it myself. My head tells me I am 18 years old and can do anything, and my body is starting to rebel. I don't see "slowing" down in the near future. :(

Patty #1840

http://ladygonegreen.blogspot.com/

A rind is a terrible thing to waste. Compost.

When they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, “Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted.”
-Jesus in John 6:12 NIV Bible
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2012 :  9:27:32 PM  Show Profile
I am praying that all of you are safe from these terrible storms. If you are in one of the areas hit by these, please check in and let us know you are okay if you can. I am always so scared when tornado season rolls around. My house sits on a hill and I thought it such a good idea to have so many doors and windows, now I don't. We built a saferoom downstairs in the back corner of the garage, below ground level but I am so claustophobic I don't want to go down there alone. also we have scorpions down there. It s like a walk out or daylight basement, one wall is earth the rest is concrete and stucco. It is reinforced steel on top, cinderblock walls, but then there is just a garage door which could get blown in and the cars on top of us, I didn't think at the time it was right but I was only the wife with no vote back then. When we remodeled in 2005 I had french doors put into every room in the house except the laundry room and I feel trapped in that room. I did not know when I did it why, but have since learned why I must have two exits from every room. This is a long house with lots of windows on both sides to take in the beautiful views but not safe from anything. They have a stainless steel screen now that I would like to enclose my porch with, as ordinary screen would get blown out every year. we have terrible winds here but nothing like I'm hearing on some other threads as to what's been going on yesterday and todayl Iam thinking that safe room would be a good closet for all those canned goods I haven't made yet, but so inspired by Patty in particular. Patty I would love some more recipes. I know you have so much free time to be doing that, ha but your beans recipes were wonderful. But who eats all that food? I would have to give most of it away. How long does it last? a year? it is so interesting, in fact, Patty, your life is so interesting. The odd thing is I have a wonderful group of women friends in Austin and now this group but I don't have very many friends out here in the country. I don't know why that is except I'm gone so much but it is a clannish little town where if you don't have family going back generations you don't belong here. Anybody have that problem? Tomorrow I close up my wonderful house that withall its problems and work to be done it is still my santuary and I miss it so and hate to leave it. I won't be back for 5 or 6 weeks and all my plants will probably be dead and I will have to start over. I can't take what i need to finish the gourd doll because the clay has to be baked in a special oven and its just too much stull to try to take. so i am going to make cards, art trading cards, and dotee dolls. tomorrow i will post some dolls I have made in the past, cloth dolls, sort of cute but these were early ones where i still placed the eyes too high up, now I've learned better and have better proportion faces.
My sweet son is flying in from hawaii to see me before my surgery; Iam so blessed withsuch wonderful children who have grown up to be such good people and I am s proud of them; s0 many stories to tell.
My son is going to put music on my blog when he has time, Ireally like the ones that have beautiful music playin while you browse their signtl Well I am falling asleep at the computerl nite alll
Glenda #3534
http://www.gypsyglenda.com

Edited by - doll58maker on Mar 02 2012 9:35:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2012 :  12:37:34 AM  Show Profile
Chris- That website showed the most beautiful mosaics I have ever seen. I so look forward to seeing what you have created. A birdhouse sounds wonderful! It would be such an addition to a garden area. Please post photos and congratulations on finding such a rewarding pasttime! We must hear and see more about this.

Patty - Your canned goods are gorgeous, truly works of art. You must feel so proud when you look at your cupboard and see such beautiful work lined up. I am sorry to hear that you aren't feeling up to making the trip to see your boys. Don't lose sight of what you want to do in favor of what you should do. Your projects will be there waiting for you when you get back. I hope you have a comfortable vehicle because a roadtrip with low back pain in a vehicle that you can't find a comfortable position will be miserable. But, a few hours rest may not be a bad thing. You are an inspiration to me and many of the other gals with your boundless energy!! Hope all the chicks are hatching out perfectly. That just sounds like magic to me! The soft down and soft chirps...

Glenda - Sorry to hear you are feeling so unsettled leaving your house. I am the ultimate homebody. I seriously want to sit in a corner and cry anytime I have to leave for a period of time. I think that just is a testiment to how much work we put into making our homes "right" for us. I hope you can feel comfortable during your time away. You must be so looking forward to seeing your son!! Sure sounds like you brought him up right and that he is a source of much joy. Waiting to hear some your stories ... you 've got bragging rights! I certainly know what you mean about having some difficulty breaking into small town friendships. We moved many times with my husband's career. When people would here how much we had moved (or how quickly a move was done) they would assume we were "military". I would always respond, "No, chocolate." It was always met with perplexed looks. People don't really think of someone being "in chocolate". We did have one couple we had become friends with in Burlington, WI, who were military. They witnessed one of our fast and furious moves -- basically a phone call on Friday and my husband was at a new job in NY on Monday morning and I was left to oversee the packing up and selling of the home) anyway they mentioned that they thought the military moved people fast ... until they saw how chocolate did it!
Anyway that long-winded story was to tell you that I have lived in small towns where people have grown up with everyone else and frankly, they just don't need a new friend. Plus, they have never had to "make" friends. It is difficult for them and they really aren't trying to be standoffish. It is just foreign to them. YOU are foreign to them and often that makes them feel a big unsure. As difficult as it may be, try not to take it personally. You will need to really open up to them to be accepted. I hope my thoughts make you feel better. I remember thinking, "why doesn't anyone like me?"

So Saturday is our big Art and Crafts sale at our county fairgrounds. My neighbor, who know of my "disablities," will pick me up and we are planning to be there when it opens. We always head in and go all the way to the back to leave some of the crowd behind. There are usually some gorgeous works of art - even some mosaic that I will be really eyeballing this time! - and it is such an inspiration to see what others have created. I usually just love to see everything, get ideas and pick up a thing or two that I know I would never in a million years attempt to do on my own. My neighbor starts picking out things at the first booth and then we spend the last half hour going back to pick up all her purchases. She has a much more decorated house than I. She doesn't do crafts but she takes lovely photos and likes to display them. I am really looking forward to the day and wish I could get a great night's sleep...

Marianne

Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2012 :  08:25:12 AM  Show Profile
Just checking in to make sure all my Sistas are ok after hearing that TN,KY,IN,OH(I'm ok here in NE OH but the gusts are awful),had tornadoes yesterday.Praying for us all. These winds are so bad anymore! God help us!

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
"Why couldn't I have been born Rich instead of So Good Looking?"
Go to Top of Page

craftbug
True Blue Farmgirl

545 Posts

Patsy
Clarkson Kentucky
USA
545 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2012 :  10:00:46 AM  Show Profile  Send craftbug a Yahoo! Message
This was over the hill from where we live.

This is the hail that fell in my yard, dinged my car, but we are all ok.

Gathered this up as soon as the rain let up. Put it in the freezer so I can show people, because some didn't get any hail that live just a few miles from us.

Make my words soft and tender, for I may have to eat them. :)
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2012 :  10:21:27 AM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Hi All, well we made it through the night but it was kind of scary, could hear what sounded like roaring at 4 this morning but luckily nothing touched down. I sure hope everyone else is ok, hope we hear from everyone today.

Judy, Is Mama feeling better? I hope so, give her love from me...I sure miss mine everyday. Did you make it through the storms? Let me know please. The Doll that Holly made looks like me except I lost my blue bathing suit in Maui so had to wear my brown/orange one in Rio. Glad to hear you are ok, the tornado's went a little north of us here in GA...hit the north part of state. I hope we hear from the others soon. Please keep me posted...or I will worry so...how is Mama doing with all these storms? Praying for your safety...love ya

Kathryn, Well if its pleather, you can try vinegar water mixed with baking soda, I have used that before but just be sure to wipe it off really good..and if leather, go to a motorcycle store and get the leather cleaner that we use for our leather seats and jackets...I'm so glad you found your glasses, when mine get knocked on the floor by the cat I have to get DH to find them for me...I can't see a thing without them... I understand how the weather can torture the body...oh how I understand. I'm sorry you were tired. after the GD visit..but they can be a handful..

Marianne thank you, I thought Darlys was a great choice too...she keeps me laughing all the time...just like her post of my antics in Rio...I promise that she must have had to much of those fruity drink, cause I didn't run around without my bathing suit, oh wait, did I? Maybe it was me that had to many of those fruity drinks, either way, she makes me laugh...
Wow, I am sorry you are feeling sad about the extent of your disability. Please don't every feel bad or sad about sharing with us. That is one of the best thing about this group is we are here for each other. I am placing you in my prayer journal that you get some relief and what every you need to make things easier for you. Oh how so many of us understand. I am a little envious sometimes of some of the girls here that can still do so much...my arthritis has me in the bed somedays and unable to do the things I love the most...but we get by don't we...sending you warm thoughts and prayers Hope you had fun at the Art and Craft sale, can't see what you bought...lol

Chris, so glad you are ok, that's are Glenda checking on everyone..The mosaic sounds like so much for, I can just imagine my DH wondering what in the world I'm getting into with ALL the other crafts I have scattered around...but hey, maybe I will put it on my list to do one day, we don't have any thrift stores around this little town but I can look at yard sales come summer time. Sounds like you had a great day at goodwill, you go girl. Thanks for the links, I'm going to check them out today.

Nancy, I just want to tell you once again how much I love my Dotee doll...I see her everyday as she is hanging on the knob of my desk lamp...she really makes me smile. I hope the weather in Fl has not been as bad as it has been here

Janie, I love canning too...it is so nice to see all those jars sitting on the shelf. I think it makes a great addition to my house as well as being the best tasting food.

Glenda, I have you in my prayers, I know you glad that the day is coming that something is going to be done. What I and others would like to know is how can we find out how things went. Is there someone we can call on the day of your surgery? I agree with the trip to Maui with Darlys, either way I'm going again...oh how I would love to really go. DH has been, long before he ever met me...but we come from different sides of the track so to speak...lol...God was good to let me cross that track...lol. I am sorry that you have to be away from your house for so long, but so glad you have someone to help you during your recovery. Promise me you will take it easy...don't rush the recovery...I am so glad your Son is coming in to see you....I would love to hear stories of your children. I thought about the music on my blog but since I keep the sound off on my computer most the time..it didn't seem to make since...lol..cause if I wasn't going to listen to it...didn't think I should do it. But I can't wait to hear what you put on yours.

Bunny, I have so many scratches on my glasses too, hate it but can't afford a new pair so have to deal with what I have, so glad you were able to get a new pair. I hope that I can get some of your fabric before it is all gone, we have a real estate deal in the works but can't count our eggs before they hatch, because in this market, alot of deals fall through, but if it does go through I will be placing an order...you have some beautiful fabrics. When my Momma and I use to go fabric shopping, I would ask her what she need that piece of fabric for and her answer would be "NEED has nothing to do with it, I just WANT it"....so that has always been my saying about everything...lol.. I hope your XFIL get better but then again DH said what I should pray about is God's will. That is hard sometimes. don't worry about your xMIL, we love you and it just proves she doesn't know a good person when she sees one...you are the best and what she thinks doesn't matter.

Mel, good to hear from you...hope you are doing ok. This is a real chatting group isn't it...lol I stay behind here so don't worry about just jump in...

Darlys, now I see what I get for choosing you as March FGOTM, you telling all my secrets, can I withdraw your name? Just kidding...Thank you for the story, once again, I was laughing and tears almost ran down my legs...ooooppps don't think I was suppose to admit that, was I. I promise that hat on my doll wasn't Glenda's cause I think hers was lime green.. and also had feathers on it with the fruit...but I can see why you think it looks like hers. I have been so blessed this past month. All of you farmgirls have made my month during a time when I was feeling so alone and sad. Thank you. I can't explain in words how much ya'll mean to me. I live way out her in the country in a different state than I grew up. I have never had many friends and haven't made any here in the 3 years I've lived here. You ladies have filled a place in my life that has been so empty. You are the type of friends I've always wanted. Thank you, and Darlys you and I joining in the same month has been one of the reasons I think we became close so quick. Oh my so glad you SIL in Alabama is ok. I am thinking of all our FG after the storms last night. The news was saying there were over 30 dead and still many missing. I wish I had phone numbers for our FG so I could check on the ones in the path of the tornados but I don't so have to hope they check in. We were lucky they missed us. I'm so happy that you are the FGOTM, you deserve it, really you do...I wish I could write like you. So thank you for making me smile and laugh and for the trips and gifts. I love ya girl...

Patty, my sweet buddy, so glad the tornado's went south of you. Why you are doing alot of canning again...that is some great prices for the green beans too. Take care of that back ok...quit over doing it please...love, love love the pics of the food...wow...

Ok now that my book is done, going to get off here and see if I can find something to do productive. Didn't sleep much due to the storms...so not sure but might take a quick nap soon. Hope I didn't miss anyone since my last post.

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...

http://ourgeorgiafarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2012 :  10:23:54 AM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Dang Patsy, sorry you must have posted while I was writing. That looks bad but oh so glad you are ok.. Wow and that is some good size hail...we got pea size but nothing compared to that...thank you for letting us know you are ok...love ya girl....stay safe.

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...

Go to Top of Page

debra e
True Blue Farmgirl

261 Posts

Debra
Georgia
USA
261 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2012 :  10:26:38 AM  Show Profile
Hello ladies,
Praying for everyone that was in the path of the tornadoes. Have been seeing the devistation on the weather channel. So sad.Yesterday was so warm here in Ga.It was erieeee! Then last night about 9:00 a storm came through. You could hear the weather warning sirens from the surrounding towns. Our news flashed that our area had to take cover for we were in the line of a tornado. Grabbed the dog and sat in the downstairs hallway. We had lots of rain and high winds...but it past in about 10 minutes. We were very lucky for there has been some damage here in Ga. Thank you God for blessing us!!!
Patsy thanks for shring the pictures. Amazing that you saw this. Glad that you are ok.
Love the pictures of the canning that you have done Patty. You sure a farm girl with all the canning talents.
Darlys, I did not know of your surgery. I am hoping that you feel better and get your strength back real soon.
I hadn't been on for a while and didn't go back to read post so I need to ask???
What is FMGOTM? I am not sure!
Hubby went and had more test run on him this past Wed. Also had some lab work. He will see the dr on Mon. for the results. Can I still keep him on your prayer list? Maybe for restored Health?
He is doing ok but not himself at all. Still swimmy in the head when he is up and about and not driving. Balance still off.
Today is a day that I am going to do those little things that I keep putting off. Like clean the closet, go through paper work, and clean off desk. The only thing is... I haven't got started yet. So I am off and moving. Post to you ladies later. Have a Blessed day.

Farmgirl Sister
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2012 :  10:39:27 AM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Debra, FGOTM is Farmgirl of the month, someone gets picked by the person before them. I was Feb. FGOTM and I picked Darlys for March. I'm so glad that you didn't get any damage where you are at in GA, we didn't get any either just a little hail and lots of wind. We lost power for a while but that was it. I sure hope you and hubby get good news on the test. I will keep ya'll in my prayers.

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

Go to Top of Page

debra e
True Blue Farmgirl

261 Posts

Debra
Georgia
USA
261 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2012 :  10:49:35 AM  Show Profile
Hey Penny! I was just looking for the e-mail of the new people that are on the birthday list. I must of deleted it. Do you have that? Could you send it to me if you do. Glad that you are ok too. This winter here in Ga.has been strange. Warm Cold Warm Cold. Strange weather. Thanks for prayers,
debra e

Farmgirl Sister
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2012 :  10:54:48 AM  Show Profile
I am reading and will post this afternoon when DH goes for his bicycle ride. I am watching for everyone to check in safe and sound.

Oh, Penny, tell Jim we can pray for what we want ... and God WILL say "yes" or "no" or "I have something else in mind." God just wants us to pray - to be with Him - to have conversations with Him - to love Him. At least that's my understanding of prayer.

I am praying for safety and relief for all who have needs ... whether in weather ... or are in any physical discomfort or emotional stress.

Back later.

Sister #3284 - on her Tippie Toes - oxox, Darlys

Chocolate Kisses ...

That is the best ... to laugh with someone because you both think the same things are funny.
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2012 :  10:56:51 AM  Show Profile
Glad our farm girls are ok from all the nasty weather. Didn't we just do this a while ago? Just make sure you keep us posted coz you know we all worry.

Penny, funny about your Momma and fabric. Quilt shop owners have a saying. If you are a stamp collector you don't use your stamps and coin collectors don't spend their coins, so fabric collectors don't have to use their fabrics.

Glenda, I feel for you and not making many friends. I think when you live out in the country it is harder. I lived in a retirement town that had very few people my age. They were either old enough to be my mom or young enough to be my kids. I did't fit in. So I had a few "friends" but no one that was really on my level with where their lives were. I felt a bit lonely too.
It has caused me to become a bit of a recluse.

Patsy, that's some major hail you got there. I think the shapes are cool. Glad it didn't damage anything. The picture was scary though. I hope you stay safe!

Debra FMGOTM stands for "farm girl of the month" Not sure where it started or any thing else. I just know last's months awardee chooses for the next month.

I got a few new things on my website. Some teabag pouches and a few little wristlet clutches I made. It takes quite a bit of work to make the pictures come out decent. I still have sooo much to do. But today is a homework day so I better get to it.

Hope everyone stays safe and healthy.

Farmgirl number 3738

My blog: www.bunnyrose.com
My shop: www.bunnyroseco.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

Kirksmom71
True Blue Farmgirl

873 Posts

Mel
Dallas Texas
USA
873 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2012 :  11:36:38 AM  Show Profile
Greetings All!

Bunny...So glad you are getting some movement with your fabric...
know you were a bit discouraged about that for awhile. Patience and
perserverance seems to have paid off! Good to hear school is moving
right along also.Sorry to hear about your mom and the Vicoden...my
BFF is on it now and it makes me nervous that she is dependent on it
because they have no alternative for her.

Glenda...sorry to hear you need surgery and you'll be outta commission
for awile. 6/8 weeks? Wow...you'll make it through handily with Ed's
help, I am sure! My prayers go out to your brother and mom and your
(step up!) sis! I checked out your blog...very nice and you are quite
a talented sculptor. Love your dolls with their faces of personality.

Kathryn...welcome to the farm...Glad you found your glasses...I am
constantly missplacing mine also. I have two different pairs, one for
distance and one for reading...so I am limited to one activity or the
other depending on which one I lose! 'Chuckle,chuckle'

Holly...So sorry your gal lost her mom with out most desired resolution.
You'll get her through it! You are all (kids, too) in my prayers.
I was disapointed to learn that I missed out on the adventures when you all
stode away in Glenda's luggage. I hope I can join ya'll on the virtual
cross country trek!

Patty...quite a coop you have there...safety first! Loved the pics of
all the goodies you canned...you do lovely and delish looking food!

Janie...congrats on your first canning outing...glad it worked so well for
you.

To all I missed today...love and prayers for you! :)

My best to all,
Mel

Sassy City Girl with Farmgirl Fantasies!
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2012 :  11:39:37 AM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Debra, I will sent the list again, on my way over to my mail to do it....

Darlys, I guess I said that wrong, you are so right and that is what Jim believes too....because Jim believes in praying specifically for what you want he said that is what it says in the Bible....I just went to Jim after reading what you said and he just explained to me that I misunderstood what he meant when he said something about GOD'S will, I think I should have made sure I understood it before saying something, but that's me sometime speak before thinking it through..lol...Jim spends more time studying scripture and praying than anyone I know. I'm so lucky to have a man that is a very GODLY MAN.

Bunny, I just wrote on my blog about living in the country and not having friends around. It is hard on me sometimes and that is another reason ya'll are so important to me... I like the saying you stated..and I think you are right. When my Momma died she had so much fabric piled up in her sewing room. I keep gettin some from my Sister. She doesn't sew as much as I do..don't think we will ever use it all up before it starts deteriorating. lol

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

Edited by - Acelady02 on Mar 03 2012 8:24:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

Clumboy
True Blue Farmgirl

62 Posts

Chris
Walkerton IN
USA
62 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2012 :  1:23:22 PM  Show Profile

here is the birdhouse. i am trying my first attempt at wireless sharing from one 'puter to another. i will type more when the thermostat on my brain goes back to normal :-)
chris

not a boy--long story
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2012 :  2:38:18 PM  Show Profile
Chris, Awesome job! I love it. I love the little glass doorknob for the perch. I bet it gets addicting.

Farmgirl number 3738

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2012 :  4:37:51 PM  Show Profile
Welcome back Chris, I have a friend who mosaics the sides of clay pots and then sells them through the local florist. She had a good demand for them.

You know Judy I read your weather expectations and shudder because I know that we will be experiencing soon what you have just gotten rid of. We had gorgeous blue skies with temperatures in the low forties this afternoon. The snow is compacting with all of that heat. This is just the right weather for maple sugaring as long as the temperatures drop below freezing at night.

My niece, her husband and two sons moved to Tulsa five or so months ago. She is having a hard time because she misses her siblings and parents. They all lived close to each other when they lived in Columbia, MO.

Marianne I know the eight pages are a pain in the butt.....lol.....but be glad you did not need to sit in the office of the doctor and fill them out as the clock ticked away. Now, gf remember to take them with you to the appointment. I am so paranoid about forgetting papers like yours that I put them in the glove box of the car when I am finished so I do not need to remember where I stashed them or worry that one of the children has cleaned them up.

Patty I sure wish we had the market around here that you go too. I could feed the family on far less than I do now. Although I have figured out that I am saving quite a bit by milking the cow, making yogurt and making the bread for the family. We would buy three loaves every two days, three gallons of milk a week and four big buckets of yogurt a month. Hay is $3.50 a bale and I get about 4 gallons each morning right now. I make other soft cheeses as well. Patty when you feel good about the amount of food you have put by then you will slow down yourself.

I am sorry that the weather in some of your areas is being so nasty and fearful. I am so glad that all we have to worry about is snow storms and mud season. Well, we did have hurricane Irene this past August and we did have some significant flooding in the low lying areas last May. but nothing like some of you live with. I have worried as well that one or more of you might be in a path of a tornado. I am relieved that everyone is checking in as alright. Patsy, I think I would be looking for new real estate if I saw that funnel come by me.

Dianne have you gotten you dh to the doctor's for the nasty lump on his back?

Mel I am glad you are back. and hope you can jump in again. We will be starting on the Move it and lose it tour of the United States as soon as I can figure out how to post and manipulate the information. Ginny has offfered to have us all gather at her place to start off but with the cold weather we are having it may be better to start at Nancy's and walk north but then again walking by tornados is not my idea of a good time. Well, ruminating goes on.

Chris the birdhouse is very pretty. You are wonderful with choosing colors and designs. I am glad you are back.

Last night Taliesin was in a play. This past week has been February vacation for the schools. Lost Nation Theater runs an acting camp that Talie likes to attend. This year the play they did was a comedy that took the last act of Hamlet and explained why it was so serious and then spoofed it up to make it a comedy. The show showed the different ways of being funny. I am not doing it justice but he had a good time acting and being with his friends and making new friends. of all my children he is the most outgoing and welcoming.
Lost Nation Theater | Youth Theater Lab Day Camps

the wind is really blowing outside. Picture my house shaking it does in high winds.

Sweet dreams

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2012 :  7:09:33 PM  Show Profile
Well, DH didn't go out for a ride this afternoon - we went to Yamagami's Nursery and strolled around the beautiful plants, etc. instead. And then stopped at Trader Joe's for milk and a few groceries.

Hey Holly, did you get the Atlas and map yet? You just reminded me. Dianne has been on my mind lately. I hope it is just that she is out helping her friends ... but if she doesn't show up here again soon, I'll have to call her. Talesin's acting camp sounds great! Lucky kid to have that kind of opportunity to shine.

Chris, that bird house is lovely ... I have a small birdhouse collection. Just wondering - is that for decoration, or is it the real thing. I was wondering if the bottom or back comes off for cleaning. I had one that I was delighted that birds nested in - until I discovered it was really decorative. After I finally got all the old nesting materials out, I stuffed it so the little sweeties would take up residence in more appropriate digs.

I've begun to visit farmgirl's blogs. I haven't figured out yet much about posting, commenting or other courteous nuances yet. But I notice that I'm heralded as being in San Jose, CA ... so if you notice that there is someone "lurking" it's me ... and I'm not lurking ... I'm just enjoying the wealth of information that everyone is expressing in those beautiful blogs. Maybe someday I will be on top of things enough to have one, too.

Patsy, that hail is impressive! and the photo is downright threatening. Echoing Holly on the lookout for new real estate.

Debra - Keeping your DH in prayer, and you as well.

Mel, glad to have you back. I, for one, among others, was sorry to see PeggyAnn leave us for the porch. But I had to understand as I tried to spend time on the porch and this thread and had to give up the porch.

You know, all the hootin' and hollerin' and guffawin' that these over 50 fillies are about are beginning to attract more and more attention. I came on MJF in mid-July and I think this thread was at about 35-40 pages (it had started late in November of 2010 so it was about 7 months old) and here we are in March 2012 - 8 months since I joined, and we have put up almost 170 MORE pages - our posting has about quadrupled! Being counted among the Chronologically Gifted is now a stage in life that has become very, very desirable!

Gypsy - I was on your blog this morning and thought I was posting a comment and then it appeared I was actually sending it to myself - but it never appeared in my inbox either - and I am now thoroughly confused as to what I am about when I am trying to navigate these wonderful blogs! Oh well, someday .... I'll find my way.

I'm watching the weather reports .... will continue to pray that you all stay safe and make it through all this without any trauma.

DH and I watched 3 Rosemary & Thyme episodes last night. (Is that a marathon?) Am now listening to Mozart .... piano concertos. DS just put it on. Very easy listening. It was a beautiful day here, in the 70's and sunshiney. I am going to try to post the photo of a doll I made from a pattern Nancy sent me. DH said she looks like she has an attitude - Her name became Addytudee. If it works - super. If not, I'll try again another time. P.S. This is the first doll I ever made - so my doll-art is truly work in progress.

Sister #3284 - on her Tippie Toes - oxox, Darlys

Chocolate Kisses ...

That is the best ... to laugh with someone because you both think the same things are funny.

Edited by - darlystippie on Mar 03 2012 7:11:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2012 :  05:45:27 AM  Show Profile
Good morning.

The weather here has been okay. We have only had some very windy weather with rain. I have been praying for those who have been hit by those tornados. I am glad that you are all okay. I am with you Debra. Here in Florida it has been crazy too with temps going up and down. But very little rain. When I see the devastation from those tornados my heart really goes out to those people. I pray God will give them comfort and relief from the pain and suffering they are feeling. I know they are relieved to have their lives but it is still a shock to have such a blow.

Glenda I can relate to you not making many friends. I had the same problem when I lived in CA. Seemed everyone was either too young and working or I just didn't fit in. I am really a sort of introverted person although once I get to know people I am rather gabby. I am pretty shy when it comes to meeting new people.

Patsy, that is the biggest hail I have ever seen. I would hate to be hit by anything like that. That is serious stuff. The tornado looks ugly, really ugly. I am in the bathtub with a mattress over the top of me. Just tell me when it is over.

Bunny, I am going to make a quilt with the fabric I ordered as soon as I can find a quilt pattern that I really like. I am a beginner and I am having a little bit of trouble finding a pattern I want to do. The fabric is just so pretty I just like looking at it and look forward to seeing more.

Chris, the birdhouse is just adorable. I like the colors you chose. And the doorknob for the perch is so clever. You did a very lovely job.

Penny how are you feeling? Over your cold? My DH is a regular studier of the Bible also. He reads the Bible everyday and knows so much more than I do about both the old and new testements. If you saw his Bible and all the notes in it you would probably think he sure does need a new one.

Mel, I am so glad you are back here with us. I missed you.

Patty, take care of your back and rest a little if you are able. With all that canning I am thinking maybe I should me doing some myself. You are such an inspiration.

Holly I would have loved to have seen the show that Taliesin was in. It must have been very funny to see Hamlet as a comedy being that it is such a serious play.

I'm not doing much of anything today. Going to make chicken with veggies and rice for dinner. A big salad with cilantro, carrots, radishes, olives, feta cheese, tomatoes, endive, and red peppers. Leon is making the dessert so I don't know what he will dream up.

Hugs to you all. Keep safe.

Nancy #2301

Make everyday a celebration of the heart.
Go to Top of Page

DEW
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

Dianne
Weiser Idaho
USA
317 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2012 :  08:15:41 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning Everyone
Wow it has been a few days since I was on. Been realy busy.
We are working on a name for our co-op farm. So far "Lazy Dog Farms" is in the lead. With two men in on the idea we have hads some .... well.... a... creative ideas shall we say. LOL The two other women in on the ideas have had ...well sahll we say fluffy names. Thay are far more girly than I am. LOL. Any ideas would be welcome.

Let me see if I can get a little bit cought up. I am way back on page 201 AHHHH

The DH did go to the Dr. They burned the mole off and said it was not bad yet but it could have been if he had not done something about it. Also set up an apointment with a specialist for his hurnia. It is in April so we will see.

I here a lot about blogs. I was thinking of starting one for this co-op thing. What do you farmgirls think? I will need to get much better a taking pictures. I have the camera I just forget to use it. Not sure any of this would even intrest anyone.

Patty I did not know you could can beans after you soak them. I really need to spend time picking you r brain about canning. My momma never realy canned anything so everything i have learned has been in a book or from someone else. Where did you get the recipe or canning times. Preasure can I guess?

Nancy way late but I hope your birthday was fantastic.

Darlys I know how you feel. By the time you read this it will be closer to 4 weeks. You will be tired by the end of the day but each day it gets better. The hard part for me was not to push myself. That just lands you back in the hospital. You do not want that!! Praying for you.

Bunny congrats on the grade. Top of the class. We all knew you were awesome!!

Patty Cute chick!

Judy That is a cute bookmark. I didn;t know people collected eggs. Those are neat looking.

Kathryn i hope you find you glasses. I hate it when that happens. I lose things and then after I replace them they show up. Go figure.

Holly i am with Kathryn I would love some pics. I lve real maple syrup.

Penny i hope by the time you read this you are all better. I hate when I have a head cold because it always messes up my sinuses and then it will not go away. Prayers for you.

Glenda glad you surgery is finally set. I will be praying for you. Your family is in my prayers daily. Even if I am not on here posting i am praying for all of you.

Kathryn glad you found your glasses.
Or rather your daughter found them.

Darlys congrats on FGOTM You so deserve it.

Marianne i will be in prayer for you. I do hope this new Dr. will be able to help you.
I understand the suger coating thing. I don't think it is pride. We just have always done for others that it is hard to let others do for us. When I had surgery over a year ago I hit a wall fast and learned to let others do for me. It is still hard now that I am better.

Mel welcome back stop by often.

Chris that is a beautiful bird house. You have some real talent.

Well I think I am finaly caught up. Sorry if i missed anyone. We have been busy with getting things ready for the co-op. Lots of work.
I am glad everyone is ok from all the storms. It is always scary when you see things in TV and know people in the area.

I understand the whole friend thing. I really do not fit with the people I know. Sometimes it is depressing. Then I get in here and realize i have a lot of friends that care about me. I may never meet any of you, but I know you care.

I will get off this thing as I am sure this more of a book than a post.

Dianne (ID)
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2012 :  08:41:29 AM  Show Profile
Nancy,I wish I had known you are a beginning quilter. I could have sent you some great patterns for beginners. Two that I use to use all the time for teaching are "yellow brick road" and "take 5" I like them both because other than matching seams at the corners of the blocks, there isn't much seam matching which is one of the toughest for beginners if you haven't been taught how. It isn't hard. Once you learn it is very easy. See if you can find them either online or a local quilt shop. They have been around for a really long time and may not be easily found. You could also find them online. If you order from me again, remind me and I'll see what I can do. I love to help new quilters out.

Darlys, your doll does seem to have a bit of "tude" but that's ok. I think it is her eyebrows that do it. I don't do faces on any dolls that I make. I'm just not very good at it.

Diane, "lazy dog farms" sounds just right. I hope it works out. You should write your ideas down when you can't sleep.

Marianne hope your doctor can help. Sometimes we just have to give in and try something new. But the key is to keep trying.

Holly, I think it is great you can supplement your food purchases with your cows and baking. I wouldn't have the energy to do that every morning. I wouldn't know what to do with all that milk. I'm not much of a yogurt eater.

Well, today is accounting homework day. It takes about 5 hours to get through it. so I better get off the computer and get to work!

Hope everyone has a wonderful safe Sunday! Later All.

Farmgirl number 3738

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2012 :  12:22:58 PM  Show Profile
Hi everybody, a quick check in - will probably do a novel later today or tomorrow. I got to Ed's late yesterday and brought a bunch of craft stuff in little shopping bags so I could carry it - In a way it will be better here because I have to make do with what I figured out to bring and won't get distracted with all the tons of stuff I have collected over the years. Yes I have broken tiles and dishes I have been saving for that time when I put everything else aside and make mosiacs. more about that later, but love the birdhouse Chris...

and when I got here and opened my fabrics from Bunny I felt like a kid in a candy store. With what I picked out and what she picked out, I just have to send a pic.

I am like someone who said I love my fabric so much I can't use it up, because then I wouldn't have it any more. Somehow I understand that. Darlys, that is a wonderful doll--- if you made it of course it's got to have a little attitude!!!!

The weather news is absolutely horrible. Sure hope all our FGirls are safe, what a horrible tradegdy for so many.

I still am not sure exactly what it means to be a FGOTM. I searched the MJF site and I couldn't find where it started or what it's about or what happens when you become one. I figured I was the only one who didn't know. well, the preview shows the image didn't work so I will post it on the blog, that always works. Yep, just did it and it worked fine. Not sure what I'm doing wrong here. Darlys, there was no comment from you. You have to be logged in to Google, but then you should be able to just click on comments and a little screen opens up for you to type in.

Where is Thelma?

Glenda #3534
http://www.gypsyglenda.com

Edited by - doll58maker on Mar 04 2012 12:42:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2012 :  4:32:11 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

I received the AAA road atlas and the map of the country from Darlys. I thought we should start our jaunt in Florida at Nancy's but then I see that Fernandina Beach is way north in Florida. All this time I have had in my mind that it was way south in Florida. So, we may be starting further south than that. Our prospective start date is March 10th so everyone needs to think about how they can move to lose. Get ready to put on your imagination caps to add to the ride. If anyone knows or remembers places they have been or would like to go let me know so we can plan a visit in the jaunt.

The wind was very loud last night but it must have just been the warm weather blowing the cold out because when I went to do chores this morning it was 32 and balmy. I only cooled down a little throughout the day. It snowed some off and on.

I made pepperoni bread today. Just a basic bread recipe with pepperoni and mozzarella cheese rolled into it. No tomato sauce this time.

I looked in my Putting Foods By book this evening for the times for canning dried beans. the only recipe was for beans with tomato sauce or molasses sauce and it said to steam at 10 pounds pressure for 75 minutes for a quart of beans. Patty is this close to what you do? I see in the picture that you do not seem to add sauce.

Milking the cow in the morning is sort of restful. Coco does not talk back or argue at all. I can sing or tell her things and she does not complain or tell me I do not know anything. It is quiet in the barn, Only on really cold days do I find it a chore but even then the barn is relatively warm from the heat of the animals.

Darlys for a first doll or even a tenth doll Attitoodee is quite nice. The face is what always messes me up. I am worried that after all the work of making the doll I will mess up the face so I do not like it. You did a great job.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 218 **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Farmgirls over age 50 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page