True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

Dianne
Weiser Idaho
USA
317 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2012 :  4:13:52 PM  Show Profile
Hi Everyone

Debra I will keep both of you in my prayers. God can heal anything!

Patty prayers for you and your back.
Pantry space is always a good thing. Then you get to fill it up. Yea!!

Nancy we all have days like that. Whinning here is a good way to get it off your chest and move on.
The Journal is really cute.

i am going to quit complaining about the price of gas. It is $3.38 here. It is going up, but not as fast as some of the other places.

Darlys you are taking all the fun out of this trip. If I can't take the peashooter can I take the sling shot? I am better with it anyway. LOL mmmmm sunny and warm. I think I have forgotten what those are like!

Tharesa has no broken bones, just a bad sprain. Don't you love how the Dr says "just".

We are now leaning towards "Hearth and Stone Farms" The women being the hearth (home, nurturing, welcoming) part and the guys being the stone (block heads) part. LOL This has to all be settled and then we file all the paperwork to make it official. Still working on contract and clauses. To bad they are not Santa Clauses!

I will check in tomorrow. Hope all of you have a great evening.

Dianne (ID)
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2012 :  4:44:31 PM  Show Profile
Gypsy...Little Sister - You are such a copycat! I've had my Lexus for 5 years ... it has about 40K miles on it. I want a new one! A hybrid. Larry says "no!" I've got to either "drive it for 10 years or 100,000 miles - whichever comes LAST." Did you catch how much gas I put in that baby, baby?

Dianne -- slingshots?!!! Only if you get a bikini and use the top! That would be entertaining! (Remember her dip and slip in Rio, gfs?) You made those poor flight attendants on Hawaiian Air (only trying to do their jobs) miserable with your well placed aim with your pea-shooter.

Remember, we can't go back to Maui until late November. That's the earliest Glenda will be allowed back on the island after the pool boy incidents.

Hearth and Stone? Nice.

Sprains hurt! I've had ankle sprains several times - no broken bones - but sprains are totally disabling. I am so sorry for your friend. Changed the spelling in my prayer book to Tharesa.

Maybe now I will keep up - if everyone doesn't post at once.

Sister #3284 - on her Tippie Toes - oxox, Darlys

Chocolate Kisses ...

That is the best ... to laugh with someone because you both think the same things are funny.
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2012 :  5:27:01 PM  Show Profile
Dianne, I agree with big sis, Hearth and Stone Farms is really it!!
Judy, $3.59.9 (why don't they just say $3.60?)for 87 grade. we just went out to supper and I made a point to look at it.
Darlys you are such a good sport to put up with my teasing you like a bratty little sister will. I am going to make a point of that 9 months difference in our ages, or was it 6.
My new little car sits on the street when I am here at Ed's. I've only had it a couple of months and already someone has dinged the side of it. that really ticks me off. I just noticed it yesterday and I had to use some of my real special words for the person who would do that and drive off.
I had a weird day. Had to talk to my exhusband and realized how happy I am now without him. Like an epiphany, it was. Glenda #3534
http://www.gypsyglenda.com

Edited by - doll58maker on Mar 06 2012 5:54:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2012 :  6:07:19 PM  Show Profile
Little bratty sister .. you can bug me anytime! Of course, Ed would drive 2 Mercedes' - he needs them to chauffeur you around town in style. But, being the Gypsy you are, you would need a Jeep of your own, to carry you to places far and wide, some with possibly very rugged terrain. And, of course, you are still young enough to whip around in it. And - I am NINE months older than you --- nanner, nanner, nanner. Age rules!

I went 4 years without a ding on my car - now I have a few. I had some really special words, too, last summer - when I was parked in a grocery store parking lot, opening my door to get out and some egocentric woman *whipped* in beside me hitting my door (not bad, but a dent and a ding.) She jumped out of her car yelling "Your door was closed! You just opened it when I pulled in!" She had been m-o-v-i-n-g when she pulled in - lucky I hadn't stepped out yet. I couldn't believe my ears. Then without so much as an apology or checking to see if there was any damage - she jumped back in her SUV and left. I was so stunned I forgot to get her license number. Boy, was I furious! Extra special words for her. Anyway, I sure do understand.

Isn't it wonderful to realize that you are gloriously unencumbered and a free spirit - with nobody that you have to report to (except me)?

Chocolate Kisses ...

That is the best ... to laugh with someone because you both think the same things are funny.
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2012 :  6:24:20 PM  Show Profile
Dianne, I like the name hearth and Stones Farms. Now think about your logo and see if you can make it fit. If you have a name and it is hard to some up with a logo you might want to rethink. Just saying.. been there many times.

Darlys, I'm so glad you like your fabric and the little fairy and pouch. BTW, I drive a diesel truck and it costs me about $100 to fill up. Thankfully I live in a small town and don't do much driving. I was looking at one of my college classes that was in the next town over. ( The college has another section there). I decided not to because of the price of diesel. Hang in there, it always gets worse! I can't tell you how many times I have thought about a motor cycle for around town. Thankfully I have no money so that's as far as it goes.

Well, homework is all done. I'm off to figure out dinner and watch more Downton Abby. I'm afraid I'm hooked. I started watching season one one Netflix and now over to PBS online to watch season 2. Bad TV.. Bad TV.

Farmgirl number 3738

My blog: www.bunnyrose.com
My shop: www.bunnyroseco.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2012 :  6:40:02 PM  Show Profile
I think I've got this to work this time ... we'll see. The elf is atop an overturned teabag dish.

Chocolate Kisses ...

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2012 :  6:40:34 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

I have been reading but did not have time to post. Today was Town Meeting Day. Most towns in Vermont meet today to decide the town budgets, school budgets and elect town officials. There also was the primary voting. The budgets are already written but the citizens of the town can amend, discuss and vote up or down the budgets. Some towns and the cities have town meeting on Saturday or the evenings. I am not sure if any of the towns just vote by written ballot or not.

Penny I like the bowl. On the tutorial you said to tape the ends could you not glue them together. Understanding that you will probably not see this for a week I will be patient.

Ginny, your daughter is an awesome artist. I bet she could even draw from photographs. I think she will need to draw to make herself happy for a while before she can deal with drawing for other people like drawing someone's dog for them. My brother who is an amazing pianist took master classes for piano players. He said that you prepared a piece, went up on the stage and played and then the "teachers" gave you a critique. They did not teach. He said that playing for others can take the joy away from playing. So, while he is certainly good enough to play professionally he plays for himself. I hope your daughter can draw for the joy of drawing and that no one will take that away from her again.

We have not made maple syrup for several years because our boiling pan leaked and the woodstove part wore out. This year we have a new rig so we will be boiling again our selves. We boil outside. We have a propane burner that we can put a pot on to finish the syrup on. We could boil it all on that but since it takes about 40 gallons of sap to make one gallon of syrup it would take a reeeeeaaaaaalllllllyyyyyy long time to do that way. If you boil in your kitchen everything gets really sticky from the evaporation and sometime wall paper will peal off if you have any.

I have been trying to buy my seeds for the garden locally. There is a company called High Mowing seeds from Wolcott, VT , I have been using their seeds for the most part. there are still some seeds that they do not provide so I buy them at the feed store. I used to drool over the seed catalogs to make and order. It was a very ritualistic procedure in my life. We have an old Troybuilt rototiller with a 7 horsepower motor. It is big and heavy. It must be 25 years old or more, I want a rototiller for the back of my tractor. Dreaming dreaming. YOu made a good deal on your new toy.

I have read Glenda's words several times about journaling. I have started off and on through the years but have always stopped either because I just didn't make the time or I did not want anyone to get a hold of it and read it and find me out. It is one of my fears. I think I have most of May Sarton's journals.

I am thinking that the virtual walk will gain miles from any type of movement, So, Glenda if you are laying on your couch swinging your arms that is movement. If you do it holding a campbell's soup can that is better for you and that is movement. I have been researching places in Florida that I would like to visit or things to do but since I have only been there three times I need help. I thought we could then move over to Texas and arrive at Glenda's in four or five weeks after surgery and pick her up but again I know nothing about Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi or Texas to know where to stop or how to travel through there. Help gfs.

Gas is $3.79/gallon.

Debra how devastating to hear that there is not a known solution to your dh's health issues. Feeling helpless is awful. I hope there is some sort of coping he can learn to get back to his regular life and for you too.

Nancy Uh oh the children say mama is whistling Ode to Joy again we are in big trouble. That is what I do when something is not going like I want it too. I found that screaming frightens people alot. Why are we our own worse enemies? the journal cover is very creative, whomever you gift it to should be very proud to receive it.

Kathryn you are just a babe in the woods if you were born in 61. lol

The words on my page run off the right side so I grabbed the right edge of the page and made it wider. Are you not able to do this? I tried sliding it back and forth and it made me crazy.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2012 :  6:42:56 PM  Show Profile
Well, big sis, I can't get away with anything. I went back and erased the part about Ed's cars because I thought it sounded obnoxious, might have known you'd catch it.

Glenda #3534

Edited by - doll58maker on Mar 06 2012 6:49:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2012 :  6:48:32 PM  Show Profile
Now looking to see if my post posted and it did and so did Darlys and Bunny and Glenda. It is 9:45 PM here and I am waiting for Kethry to tell me she had finished her online practice test for her learner's permit.

I wished I had known you Glenda when you had your suburban because I would like one. I wonder why do people who do not live where there is snow drive four wheel drive vehicles?

hugs all,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2012 :  7:23:54 PM  Show Profile
Holly, I tried that. It didn't work for me. Something else must be the problem. Now on this page - I am fine again. Oh well.

I think your Move It plan is great. I say "Hurrah for Holly!" I will pull together what I can for the state of California for when we get here ... we have an abundance of "stuff" here. Course - bicycling and hiking through Sonoma and the Napa Valley could be rather rowdy ... Dionysus implores mortals to partake of the intoxicating wine and become liberated souls. Or some such thing.

I echo you about journaling. Every once in a while I give it a go ... and then for whatever reason I just fizzle out. I have books on journaling - maybe I should read them. Glenda is my role model. But she's a tough act to begin to measure up to.

Wish those photos above had turned out a little better - but I'm in a learning curve here - but you can at least see what cute things are there. Yeah, that's a photo of Larry and me in the picture, too. It's on that shelf.

Gypsy, that wasn't obnoxious ... I thought it was cool. I worried my old Lexus sounded kind of snooty - felt so much better when I saw your post about Ed's Mercedes'!

I guess we are all watching the gas prices now. Still looks like the Bay Area in CA has the highest $$. Bunny - I'm impressed that you would even consider riding a motorcycle. Those ideas were dashed for me when I fell over on one (or it fell over on me) when I was about 27-28 years old.

We've watched all of Downton Abbey -- our current addiction is Rosemary & Thyme (Netflix). TV is my friend. It was here the whole while I've been allowed to do nothing! I actually never watch daytime t.v. and unless it's something we consider worth watching (or a guilty pleasure: i.e. Castle on Monday nights) - we limit evening watching to the Jeopardy, sometimes Wheel of Fortune and news & weather. I have to do a catch up thingy with Desperate Housewives.

DH just called. He's on his way home. He will pick up something for supper on the way. Yay.

I tried to post some pictures of the peach tree and lemon tree - but it's just not happening just now. Maybe tomorrow.

Chocolate Kisses ...

Go to Top of Page

Oggie
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Ginny
Machias Maine
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2012 :  8:56:57 PM  Show Profile
Thank you everyone for the great response about Alana's drawing. I gave her your web page Glenda and also asked if I could give you her info Penny. When I hear back from her I'll let you know. I copied and pasted your responses and emailed them to her so she could read them for herself. Figured it may help her. I agree with Holly, as long as she does it for herself she will stick with it. I'd love to see her make a living with it too though.

Bunny - I too am hooked on Downton Abbey!! Last weekend I watched both seasons to catch up. Between that and the book I just finished I have been busy finally relaxing and enjoying things. It's been a long time, I think it's been a couple of years, since I could finally sit down and read a book instead of a magazine!

Janie - Parline syrup sounds wonderful!!! I love to can too and especially love the bings!

Judy - Our gas went as high as $3.94 a gallon on Friday but by Monday on our way to work it was back down to $3.82. Don't think we will be going "to the city" anytime soon!

Penny - Thanks for the tutorial on making the bowl. I don't know if I'll get to it but I'd sure like to try!

Debra - I sure hope your DH makes a miracle recovery. I will keep you both in my prayers as I do with all my farmgirl friends. I've had vertigo and while I know he doesn't have that, it was probably the worst thing I've dealt with so knowing it's similar is scary! I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy!

Patty a ruptured disc isn't good either! I have two and they can't do surgery on them as they are torn the wrong way. There are days when I can barely get up for work, days when either leg is in major pain and feeling like I have a pitched nerve, but I have learned to just plow through the pain and do what I need to do. Maybe you've been on to many roofs sweetie! My DH had surgery a couple of years ago on two of his discs and his surgery actually worked while many do not.

Nancy - I think your journal turned out wonderful! We all have those days when nothing gets done and you feel like you are a chicken without a head! Sounds like you need a few {{Hugs}}

Darly - When telling Mel about hidden sugar it reminded me of being at my folks. Dad can have NO salt in his diet. Talk about challenging! I was glad to come home just so I didn't have to figure out what to cook everyday! I think I looked at every product at Trader Joes and Whole Foods not to mention Giant and Safeway! We Americans eat far more salt that we probably realize.

Your post (Darlys) also reminds me to tell Patty that my Dr. said the worse things I could do is stand on cement and walk long distances. So when I'm in Home Depot or some place I know when it's time to stop and get back home! Just be careful. I also noticed vacumning is hard on the back too.

One more thing, last year I decided I would grow something each year that I have never grown before. So it was great fun finding something for this year. I already did black beans and popcorn last year, and am again this year, but what I picked this year was a lot of new herbs along with Stevia, oats, butter beans, and kidney beans. I'm so excited!

Dianne I like Heath and Stone and Windy Ridge. Good luck deciding.

I've got company! My bunny boy Oggie just came hopping into the room. He's such a cutie to watch, especially interacting with our cat Pewter, and doing his "binkies", lol.

Our town meeting is usuallly in June.When we first moved here it was April but every year they seem to move it further and further back. The one thing I find strange about them is the annual report that we get a couple of weeks ahead of it. In ours they list those who haven't paid their property taxes yet. While we are never in it, I feel bad for those who are, as I would think it's embarrassing.

I can't wait for this walk because I need to MOVE! I started Zumba and boy am I sore! I'll encourage Penny with her non-smoking, she can encourage me with dropping a lot of weight! My oldest friend who I started smoking with just quit in November so there are two of you who need encouragement! We've been best friends since we were 10. I couldn't get her to quit with me though.

Didn't get to the end of the posts but it's almost midnight and I have to be up at 6:30 for work, so good night gf!

Ginny
Farmgirl #2343
www.thedewhopinn.com
www.etsy.com/shop/cybertiques

"I always have a wonderful time, wherever I am, whomever I'm with."
"Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it." Both by Elwood P. Dowd (Jimmy Stewart) in the Movie Harvey
Go to Top of Page

janiee
True Blue Farmgirl

820 Posts

Janie
Shawnee Oklahoma
USA
820 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2012 :  05:51:44 AM  Show Profile
good morning everyone!
Nancy - that journal is absolutely beautiful! You did a great job on it. I understand about not wanting anyone to read "you". After my dh died in 2010 i journaled for awhile and it was mainly to him about my day until my sister made a comment that he already knew about my day and that just kind of threw me off. I am such a wimp and should have stood up and said if it is what is helping me, what is it to you? but i didn't, i just stopped writing.
my bursistis is still bothering me a lot - went on line yesterday to do some research and read that you are supposed to rest when you have it. rest? i have got things to do!! :)
i am going to have to rest some though or driving my mom to lampasas next week is going to do me in. it's only 1 1/2 hour drive but it is a lot of hills and curves.
and oh! the little fairy doll is adorable!
got to go to work!
hugs
janiee
farmgirl #390
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2012 :  06:01:02 AM  Show Profile
Good morning,

I am using the notepad for sure today. I have to go back to page 109 to see what was happening yesterday and I don't want to lose what I am writing.

Penny- thank you for posting the directions for the bowl. I have all these magazines and some I think might make nice bowls. The pages are very colorful so I may give it a try. Your tutorial is excellent, very easy to follow.

The gas prices here where I live in Florida have gone down a penny so now they are $3.78 a gallon. I don't what they are down in Miami where there are more tourists.

Darlys- It is crazy about the gas prices in California. Down in So. Ca where my daughter lives she is paying almost $4.00 for regular. She is near Disneyland and they pay such high prices there. I was moving my little bar back and forth on page 109, too. I thought it was just my computer. I couldn't firgure out what to do and glad it corrected itself on page 110. Don't you like that little sock monkey coin purse? He is so cute! Look at that face! Who can resist that ? LOL
So just because I love you sister I will tell how I played Barbies with my 2 oldest GDs when they were 3 and 5.

Kristen and Kari had so many Barbies and only one Ken that they had been given for birthday presents. I was babysitting them. We got out all the Barbies and all their clothes. We made up beds for each doll and then gave each one some clothes: bathing suit, day clothes and evening clothes. First we were going to the beach so we put on the bathing suits and went to the beach and laid out on the "sand" for awhile. Okay, times up. "Let's go to lunch." We would change their clothes into some pretty dresses with high heels of course. And we would get some cookies, put them on little tea set dishes, pour some juice in the teacups and have tea with all the Barbies sitting around. After lunce the Barbies decided to go to a movie. So we would take away all the plates and cups and I would put a book up in front of them and turn the pages as I read the story.

Soon they would leave the "movies" to go home and get ready for the dance. We dressed the dolls up really fancy in their gowns and get Ken and he would dance with all the Barbies. Then it was time to go to bed so they had to put on their pajama and go to bed.

I did this after lunch hoping the GDs would take their nap. So we went to lie down. We are all lying there and I feel something move. I open my eyes and Kari, age 3 is sitting up. I say, "Kari, why aren't you lying down with your eyes closed?' She says to me, "Oh, are you supposed to close your eyes?"

Ginny I like the things you decided to grow this year. Let us know how they turn out especially the various beans and oats. I grew stevia the last 2 years and it did well here. We have a lot of sun most of the day. I am glad to hear that you sent all the responces to your daughter. Hopefully they will encourage her. She really is a good artist and can do well professionally.

Holly I think the only reason people here drive 4 wheel drive vehicles is so they can drive them onto the beach. When the sand gets soft it's the only way one can drive on it. At the beach here we see so many vehicles stuck in the sand trying to get on or off the beach. Then a 4 wheel drive has to get out the chain and pull them out of it. But other than that you are right I don't know why either. Thank you for the information about the maple syrup. I didn't know how long it takes to make it. No wonder it is expensive. I still wouldn't use anything else on my pancakes. Nothing tastes as good as it does. I have only lived in Florida for 3 1/2 years but if I can help you a little about the northern part. I can visit the tourist place and get some information for you.

I will check in later so I can keep up. I don't want to get behind on what's happening with all my sisters. :)

Nancy

Make everyday a celebration of the heart.
Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2012 :  06:08:03 AM  Show Profile
Oh gosh, time to play catch up...lol. I am staying in the house today. I am going to work on my sewing room, pantry and do laundry. Maybe put some jerky in the dehydrator. I canned the chicken for the first time yesterday and had chicken noodle soup for dinner. I have a couple of roast that I may attempt to can. I want to have it on hand for some quick open faced beef sandwiches. Tomorrow is my husbands Masonic Lodge meeting and like Betty, I will fix the meal. I think I will fix shepard's pie in my roaster. I got a 3 pot crock pot at Kohl's (almost free with Kohl's bucks) and I think I will put green beans, mac and cheese and fried apples in it to go along with the shepard's pie. Maybe have it all for dinner tonight as a trial run...lol.

Nancy- Oh my I have days like you had where I get sidetracked and feel like I get nothing done. The journal you made is beautiful!

Kathryn- The roosters are done, I managed to get 6 qts of chicken and several qts of broth from the 5 roosters. Like you say...
If there is a will, there's a way; find your way!

Glenda - When I lived in Ohio, most of my friends were wives of my husbands co-workers. When my husband had passed away of cancer, everyone dissappeared. It was almost like the couples could not socialize with "single women". I considered them to be very good friends. Now that I have moved back home (even after 20 years), I have the same friends I had when I was younger, and our relationships are even stronger. Oh, BTW, I saw an article in the new issue of MJF written for you. It was about vintage hats. I think I will start wearing some of my hats more.

Penny- Sorry I didn't listen to you and take it easy...lol. My back is going to need more attention that the chiropractor can give me. He wanted to refer me to a local dr, but I am going to go to a Dr in St Louis that treated my father. I have slowed down some. But not because I want too...lol. Hey, there is an article in the new issue of MJF that made me think of you... Smitten with SCOBYs... I am going to study it and maybe barter for a start. :) Hey, you will stop smoking if you keep trying. I was driving a truck (Have I ever mentioned that I once was a truck driver?) Anyway, I smoked 3 packs a day driving when I quit. Like Kathryn says "If there is a will, there's a way; find your way!".

Patsy- Do you still milk goats? Did you ever make goat milk? I just found a family local that sells goat milk. I bought some Chevre goat cheese at the farmers market and LOVED it. I am going to order some culture and attempt to make my own.

Darlys- My daughter is fine. The test showed no MS and they are leaning toward the symtoms being caused from migraines. Funny how migraines work. A few times in my life, I have temporary lost vision and it scared the "poop" out of me, When they told me it was caused by migraines I was surprised, as I had no pain of headache.

Dianne- I love "Hearth and Stone Farms" I am glad your friend Tharesa is going to be okay...Sometimes "just" a sprain is more painful than a break.

Bunny- I first bought a 250 Honda Rebel to drive back and forth to work... It was wonderful. It got 75 MPG. Now I am on a Sportster that only get 50 mpg. Honda Rebels are an awesome little bike and not too expensive as well.

Holly- I imagine the maple syrup would make a sticky mess. When I used to keep bees and rob the honey hives years ago I would have honey all over the house.

Ginny- I had cervical spine surgery on ruptured disc several years ago and it worked great, except now I have to deal with the arthritus. I know I do too much, but I love my full life and won't ever stop what I do...lol Hey, Have you ever tried to grow ground cherries? I love them. I had never heard of them until I attended a seminar on organic raised bed gardening. They also recommended swiss chard. I had never grown it before, and now it is a garden staple. I also grow "Par-cel" it is a celery flavored parsley and is great in soups and salads.

Well, off to see how much trouble I can get into today. Hubby will be gone today. I have to admit. I love these days when I can play the radio as loud as I want and work away. Since he has retired these days are more seldom. And his trips back to our house in Ohio have slowed down. I think he is becoming more at home here in Illinois.

Patty #1840

http://ladygonegreen.blogspot.com/

A rind is a terrible thing to waste. Compost.

When they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, “Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted.”
-Jesus in John 6:12 NIV Bible
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2012 :  09:23:13 AM  Show Profile
I am giving everyone else a chance to catch up. Really enjoyed reading what everyone has posted yesterday and today.
Patty, I also caught up on your blog and you are just a wealth of information - I really, really love your blog.
Darlys, the phots are great. some really cute things, so glad you were able to post them. keep it coming, gf.
Holly, I was in a half price book store about 2 years ago and saw Sarton's journal At Seventy, or something like that. I was 66 or 67 and struggling with who I was and where I was going, never having had any sort of mentor, I have relied on books for my knowledge. I bought the book, was intrigued by her and bought some of her other work, but the one on Solitude was sort of a turning point for me. I like her journals and her poems but did not care for her fiction.
I think she must have been bi-polar before it was known as a disorder. Certainly an amazing, multi-talented person well ahead of her time. Nancy, more stories, please. so cute!! Janiee, your comment re journaling, that is what we all do, allow others' thoughtless comments to influence us when we should rely on our own feelings alone. A journal should be a private thing. Julia Cameron in her book "The Artists Way" has excellent comments and exercises on this subject. Holly, the suburban was not 4 wheel drive, nor is my jeep. My ex DH had a 4 WD pickup but the 4WD was probably engaged twice in 10 years. I won't get to see the new MJF issue for a few weeks as my surgery is now scheduled for March 16 and it will be some time after that before I can drive back home. I am anxious to make some hats.

Glenda #3534
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2012 :  11:22:17 AM  Show Profile
Ginny, Stevia is my go-to sweetener. But I hear it doesn't do well in baking. Never tried to use it for that.

Holly -- I have a whole new appreciation for Maple Syrup!

I was reading something - was it here? - somewhere ... that The difference between fantasy and reality is the picture on the seed packet and what actually comes up in the garden. (That was written for me.)

Where are we going to be for Easter? Somebody is going to have to get us all up for church and then make Easter dinner.

Nancy - so glad you posted that story about the GDs and the Barbies. If our sisters had heard us laughing over it - they would have been laughing at us laughing.

Patty - I can't believe you are still rockin' & rollin'! I move so much slower when my back is aching. (I have a lower back issue.) All this talk about canning though. I may just have to get the gear and position it in the Oakhurst kitchen. I actually do have a cool basement area there that I could keep stuff in. I've never seen a 3 pot crockpot. Sound really useful though.

You were a truck driver! Wow. So was my DIL for a bit. And another quitter! Smoking, that is.

I'm so glad your daughter is ok. Are you still planning on coming to visit her?

How are ground cherries different from tree cherries? I actually have had success with chard and zucchini. Zucchini grew so big and fast that it was knocking on the windows demanding to be let in. Ever tried to make a footstool out of a zucchini?

Gypsy - I have The Artist's Way among my stacks of books, too. I'll have to see if I can find it and revisit it.

I've breezed through here pretty fast this morning. forgive if I missed something, pls. I now have to dash to the doctor. Crossing my fingers for an all-clear.

Chocolate Kisses ...

Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2012 :  12:00:40 PM  Show Profile
Ginny, the wise old crone has one more bit of advice for your daughter--be sure her work is signed before she puts it out there, especially on the internet, to avoid copyright issues later on.

Glenda #3534
Go to Top of Page

Cooknnana
True Blue Farmgirl

213 Posts

Kathryn
Chandler OK
USA
213 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2012 :  7:43:27 PM  Show Profile
Glenda: we really get to go along with Darlys; oooh how fun that's going to be. hahaha I'm with you; I wouldn't mind a lexus myself. My car has recently received a crease, as well, luckily for me, the car that creased me was so thickly covered in OK red mud, that all I got was a streak of mud across the back, drivers' side door. It washed right off...
Darlys: you got room for my throwing knives and axes? *rofl* I don't suppose it would be much of a vacation in the detainees room the whole time for my weapons, so I guess I'll have to smuggle them in some other way. I like the idea of bring a sling shot, though. I've been practicing; I no longer hit the neighbor's cat when I'm aiming at the post on the side of my
The weather here has been great; sunny and in the seventies. Until last night, that is. Last night the clouds started rolling in and the winds have been kicking up their knickers. Sometime tonight we are supposed to get rain with chances of the boomers moving in. It's supposed to last through the weekend. There's a chance that the twister family could put in an appearance as well. Oh joy! Don't really like them very much; they blow into town, make a big mess for everyone to clean up, and just disappear without saying anything. No thank you's; no I'm sorry for the mess, nothing. At least the boomers only make a bunch of racket; they scare some people (me included), but at least they leave a disaster in their wake. The rains are a welcome sight; we need them desperately, but the twisters alway just show up; no one wants them; no one even invites them, but every year...there they are. Ooops! *giggle* Showing my insanity, again, aren't I? I don't get out much. lol
I haven't been able to find my pedometer, yet. :/ but a timer might come in handy; *lol* you just never know.
The only time I have to move the bar back and forth is when the page is minimized. I just hit the button and it's all good.
I want to post some pictures and i know you have to do it a certain way (I did read the post about it), but I can't remember and I can't find the post.
I have several journals going. I carry one with me to notate anything and everything; one I jot down information on things I'm researching; one I write my stories and poems in before transferring them to the computer; and another is for my adventures with God... Speaking of the need for movement, that dvd is already been helping me....Thank you, thank you, thank you. I've only done a couple movements, but it only took a few times and I'm feeling better. Yay! I might actually get to go on this "walk". I guess I better start researching what to see in OK, huh?
I've never tried to make a footstool out of a zucchini before, but what about a door stop? lol
Penny: I am not allowed vote to vote in the primaries any more, so I didn't vote yesterday. Don't be afraid to make salsa; it's pretty easy. The only thing to "mess up" really is the level of hotness. *OMGosh! Does anybody have a fire extinguisher?!* The massage therapist in our office just got that electronic cigarette...I looked it up, for my daughter, and it's been recommended by several doctors and some people say it actually helped them quit. I'm not doing so good with the eating thing, either. In fact, Doc bought me dinner at the local Mexican place, and I ate way past the point of no return. I am now at my daughter's ( she lives in the same town and I live thirty minutes away), so hers was the closest bathroom to where I was. I hate public toilets, you see. So, While i am waiting for my "issue" to subside long enough for me to get home, I thought I "drop in" and see what the GF's have been up to. I'll look for a tag on my couch when I get home, thanks for the suggestion. :D
I just loved your little elf! Does he do anything cool while you're asleep? Ok, Ok, that's enough! I promise, no more singing, super-imposing stories into reality; I'll be good. Ummmm....maybe....maybe not! Seriously, If I'm driving you crazy, let me know, and I'll....pack for 2....no seriously, I'll stop.
Dianne: I'm glad Tharesa only got a sprain; I say only, but I had a doctor once tell me, when I had a really bad sprain, that it would have been better to just breaks the thing. Hmmmm.
I think I like "Hearth and Stone" too; they were all good, though, so no matter what you choose, will be perfect, I'm sure.
Gas here is running upper 3.60's to low 3.70's; ick. I'm thinking horse and buggies are going to make a come back pretty soon; any time now. lol :/
Patsy: I have been in a lot of storms, including ones with hail, but have never seen it that big, not first hand, anyway; just in pictures.
Bunnie: I love looking at you fabrics; I haven't been able to buy, but I keep going back to look at my favorites. ;) I almost did once, but my paypal info isn't up to date. I want to make a quilt, but I've never made one by myself before (I've "helped" a couple people, only) and I must admit, I'm a bit intimidated... I have 3 sewing machines; imagine, a novice at sewing, and I have 3 machines...lol Crazy!
Holly: I think we should get to vote up or down on the federal budget too. The way you tell about sugaring, covers my eyes in the mists of memories. I've never participated to that point, but I got to watch. And let me tell you, to an eight year old, that was exciting enough, in and of itself.
Hey! i was born very early in 61, so early, in fact, it's practically 1960, so, ha. Besides, if I said it once, I'll say it again, I think you gain years for the amount of crazy you are, and i just might be the craziest of all of you, so that makes me, at least, as old as any of you... :P *giggle, giggle*
Janie: Praline syrup? Sounds really sweet and really yummy. So, rest now and then you'll be fine to make your trip; when are you going, anyway? By the way, I play barbies, or whatever, with my granddaughter too. i have as much fun as they do. lol
Patty: Wow! That's a lot of yummies from those roosters. How did your back hold up? Mine would have been screaming at me practically from the start; not that I would listen, necessarily. I keep telling the Doc that the first real money I get I should buy a Vespa to get around on. No one would want to get near me because I would sound like a bee "buzzing" by. Of course, it probably wouldn't hold up well in these Oklahoma winds...lol
Like many of you have commented before, I too am pretty isolated. I have been in Oklahoma for a six years and I still don't know hardly anyone beyond my daughter. I am acquainted with my sil's family, but I don't spend much time with them. Then there are those I've met through the Doc, but haven't moved beyond a professional relationship with most. You ladies are pretty much all I have, so I hope you don't mind, too much, my craziness.... ;D Good night all. I will try to keep up tomorrow, because you ladies move along too fast for me sometimes, to keep up.

If there is a will, there's a way; find your way!

Sister #3282

Edited by - Cooknnana on Mar 07 2012 7:48:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2012 :  8:10:46 PM  Show Profile
It is late and am tired, so can not respond to everyone tonight. Our gas here is $3.84, was up to $3.94 the other day. I am sure it will be over $4.00 very soon. Good thing warmer weather is coming so we won't have to warm up the car for 10 minutes each day we use it. I will try to catch up with all of you tomorrow.

Janet

Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2012 :  8:37:41 PM  Show Profile
Hi Gals, wow, busybusybusy as usual. You Gals can send Mama a card anytime. She loves it and calls me every time she gets one. She's getting a little better every day. If we could just get rid of that cough.
Nancy, nice artwork on that journal. What is the silver bird made of?
Darlys, my puter was doing that cut-off trick today too. I had to reduce the size of the print just to get it all on here.grrrrrr
We had wind/60/sun/clouds. I did get a brief look at the hazey,full moon before it dissapeared behind clouds. We are getting rain tomorrow.Dh is home, so it will be our run-around,do errands day.
Well, nite all! ~~ZZZzzzzzzzz~~~

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
"Why couldn't I have been born Rich instead of So Good Looking?"
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2012 :  10:19:39 PM  Show Profile
Darlys, did the little fairy's hat stay on? I tried to glue it but wasn't sure if it would stay. The acorn hat was from my yard in California. I have watched a little Rosemary & Thyme. I love that show too. I have a DVR and record all my favorite shows and then just watch one day a week.

Holly, I totally get what you are saying about your son playing for himself. Last year I had to make a bunch of quilt and sewing samples for classes I was teaching. It wasn't much fun after a while. I actually stopped sewing for a little while and even now it is hard to just do something I want to do. I have patterns I'm suppose to be writing for a company that sells a die cutter. But with schoolwork I just don't have much energy to do more writing. I have two quilts made, just have to write the directions.

Glenda, don't feel bad about what you or Ed drive. It's cool that you are able to have fun stuff to drive. Never apologize for doing well.

Nancy I liked your journal too.

Holly, I agree with not wanting anyone to read your journal. I have started journals and stopped for just that reason.

Patty, I'm so glad your daughter don't have MS. I have had those blackouts a few times. Not fun. Twice while driving. Thankfully I was able to get over the side of the road. But it is very scary. I hope your daughter can figure out how to deal with it.

My youngest son called today. It looks like he might have a job with Trader Joe's in the town he lives in. He as been going in on a regular basis asking about a job. The manager finally told him to come in and update his application. I really hope he gets it.

Well, It's late ... after 10pm I'm sure most of you East coasters are a sleepy bye.. So see you in the morning!

Farmgirl number 3738

My blog: www.bunnyrose.com
My shop: www.bunnyroseco.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2012 :  10:24:49 PM  Show Profile
My turn to catch up with all of you.

Debra - I am so glad your husband has not lost his hearing. Being swimmy all the time must be taking quite a toll on him. I am so sorry this is happening and I really do not feel you have any need to feel you have been too negative in your postings. When you are down, you shouldn't have to hide it from your friends.

Penny - please count me amongst your admirers for your bowl!!

Ginny - Of course, your daughter has wonderful talent! Why are they so silly about being able to recognize such beauty these kids can create. (But of course, I have heard the same from my kids, too.) It is indeed universal. I certainly hope she does find a niche for her art. I think Glenda was smart in saying make sure she signs it before putting it "out there" but boy oh boy should she ever put it out there. People will love it.

Nancy - You have the best, most entertaining bad days. Please continue to share!

Patty - Good grief! Your back must be telling you to slow down. I know that you are pushing through to do what you need to do. I hope your doctor can provide you with relief. ARe you riding a motorcycle now? Or am I all confused? You made a beautiful journal. I also loved the bird!!

Kathryn - Were those Bradford Pear trees? We had them in the midwest. Really pretty shiny green leaves, pink (or white) blossoms in the spring and fall color, too! You know the OCD goes with the scoliosis!! All our quirky personality traits go along with the twisty spine. (We also downplay the problems the scoliosis brings into our life, are hard workers with attention to detail.) And the usual body type is "rectangular" (shoulders, waist, hips about even) and not very muscular. Sorry I don't always mean to bring up the back stuff, but I don't have anyone my age who also has it to compare notes with. I am a '61 baby, too December, though.

Glenda - One more week until relief is in sight. I am thinking of you. I hope you will let me know how I might find out how you are doing and where I might be able to send a card ...

Darlys _ Addy is adorable. It makes me think I have a chance at making one, too, if that is your first. I mean, I would be proud of much less You should be thrilled with how cute she is!

Dianne - I also liked Windy Ridge, but since you are going with Hearth and Stone I am behind that name 100 %. You explained it as you gals being the "hearth" and the guys .... have the stones? No, that wasn't what you said (blush>snicker)

Holly - You make the barn sound so inviting and magical in the morning! You have a great gift to find the beauty in the ordinary and the joy in the daily grind. Thank you for reminding me to do the same. I would be thrilled to show everyone around the Spokane ... and do we want to make it down to the Farm? It isn't but about 90 minutes away ...

Gosh, I know I have missed someone and I sure hope I don't hurt anyone's feelings. You have grown to be important to me even though I am very new here and haven't "earned my stripes" yet.

I did see the pain doctor. My husband came with me. This doctor started off by telling me that the last doctor's ideas were unfounded in his opinion. (Always makes you feel good to have the last guy you trusted put down.) Then he told me HIS idea. Implanting a pump that delivers morphine to my spine. It was fairly intense, included two surgeries and just too much to continue to think about. His plan is based on another doctor's theory that is running at 50% success, but he would have made a lot of money. It is so scary that these people expect you to trust them when they have ideas that just don't make sense.

I really got my hopes up. It initially sounded so tempting. And that was the hard part, having my hopes dashed. Enough sorry to go on.

So -- drumroll, please -- Hubby gets home tomorrow!! Must be Thursday.
We have this cool store in town that makes paper flowers. Really beautiful paper flowers. Suitable for bridal bouquets. Anyway, next Saturday I am going to take a class there. It is two hours. My daughter and I are doing it together. She is my favorite person to do anything like this with, so it will be great!! I'll try to post a photo if the outcome is worthy of sharing.

Friends of ours adopted a 6mo Great Dane today. She looks very sweet, but even post surgery she seems to be VERY playful! Uh-oh. Better them than me!

Thanks for listening to my woes!
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

Clumboy
True Blue Farmgirl

62 Posts

Chris
Walkerton IN
USA
62 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2012 :  12:28:49 AM  Show Profile
hi guys--penny--LOVE THE BOWL. i went to you blog and pinned it to my (new) pinterest board. i am going to show it to my garden club--i think it's something they might like.
Ginny--i am so glad your daughter has found her voice again. our artistic spirits have a way of coming and going. i think there are times when your mind has to sort of go dormant and process things. then when it is ready, the art returns. her work is quite lovely--tell her to keep going. a friend of mine is a very well known artist in missouri--they call him "the monet of the midwest". he has had a lot of difficulty in his life and stopped making his paintings for quite a long time. i think he is about ready to re-emerge now--and i can't wait to see how his art has evolved in the "down time".
glenda--your blog is beautiful, and your thoughts are spot on. i especially like the statement about the fact that YOUR imagination is unlike any other. that alone is justification for making art. i have a cousin who is a very well known artist--her work is wonderful--but to her there is Art (with a capital A) and not everything qualifies. i couldn't disagree more with that. art is an embodiment of the human spirit. and any form it takes, and any skill level it has is secondary. it is the drive to create and the willingness to put the work in to make an imagining a reality that makes art what it is. i can't often afford it, but i buy original art whenever i can. it has the hand, eye and mind of the person within it. and that is what matters to me.
debra--i am sorry to hear about DH--but glad to know at least now you have some answers. i have read in many places (dr. weil's book for one) that ginger is clinically proven to help vertigo. i think you can just chew on candied ginger--you might want to poke around on the internet to find some info.
Nancy--great journal--love the silver bird.
kathryn--glad you liked the websites. there are endless color options--just find plates you like and go from there. a tile place i like to buy from is www.marylandmosaics.com. you can see a good cross section of tile types there. nice place--decent prices. shipping is expensive but the stuff is heavy. they use flat rate boxes as much as they can. always include a little gift bag of different types of tile with each order too. you can buy the wheeled nippers at most home improvement boxes. i got mine at menards but lowes and home depot carry them too. if you only buy one tool, buy the wheeled cutter. it is more useful for all tasks than the nippers. and be sure to buy safety glasses before you buy anything else!
marianne--i am sorry the pain doctor turned out to be a disappointment. is there another pain guy you can go to--or a holistic or acupunture/laser practitioner? you were right to shy away from the surgery option--at least until you can talk to some more people. i don't know the nature of your problem, but i sent prayers for you and hope you get some good answers soon.

my garden club made totems the other night. you buy old clear or colored glass at thrift stores and then stack it up and glue it with e-6000. glue fittings to the bottoms and put them on stakes. was a ton of fun to do, and so many different ideas and looks! next month they are mad to learn mosaic, so i am sure that will be a blast too.
have a lovely day everyone--it is actually balmy outside. i have been hearing peeper frogs and yesterday i saw a bald eagle at the state park! chris

not a boy--long story

Edited by - Clumboy on Mar 08 2012 12:31:54 AM
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2012 :  05:24:46 AM  Show Profile
Hi everyone.

Judy the bird on the journal is just a thin metal of some sort. I picked it up at an after Christmas sale. It is actually a Christmas tree ornament. The jornal front is made in layers of gesso, cloth flowers, paint, tissue paper, more paint, more tissue paper and the ornament and butterfly. I let it dry between each layer.

Debra e, I received your card yesterday with the beautiful bookmark in it. It is in my Bible right now. I am in Leviticus Chapter 5, as I am reading through the Bible. I pray for your DHs health daily.

Holly I have never thought about a zucchini stool before but I have used one as a rolling pin once when I was making pizza dough just to see if it would work. It did, sort of.

In Florida we want to be sure to carry some raingear on us (like those cheap plastic ponchos) as the rains come and go without warning here. They sometimes only last a few minutes. But when it rains the drops can be big and lots. Then it will just stop and the sun will come out. Also, I want to bring my little hatchet. I think I can hide it in my boots.

Everyone have a good day.

Hugs,

Nancy

Make everyday a celebration of the heart.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 218 **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Farmgirls over age 50 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page