Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2012 :  09:46:46 AM  Show Profile
Penny, I saw this other magazine bowl and thought of you. It was pretty cool. Here is a picture and the link to check it out.
http://markmontano.typepad.com/mark-montano/2010/06/rolled-magazine-vase.html

Farmgirl number 3738

My blog: www.bunnyrose.com
My shop: www.bunnyroseco.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2012 :  11:33:16 AM  Show Profile
Wow! this is a really neat vse. I just recycled a stack of magazines. This is probably a project I'd start but never get finished.

I guess I am really lucky because I have never had a problem with doctors. Its their staff members that can drive me nuts.

Boy I sure am out of it again today. I just can't get anything started or stay with anything for more than a few minutes at a time. Maybe I'll just give up and take a long rejected nap!
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2012 :  12:03:06 PM  Show Profile
Kathy ... my sister is in Warner Robins, GA very near your sister in Perry, I believe.

Bunny, I like that bowl, too. I may just give it a 'whirl.' (Get it?) First I have to mimic Nancy and get dozens of other projects out of the way. I saw a tip for using old rotary blades to cut paper. I will save them for this purpose now. Maybe if I label them, I'll remember why I wanted them.

I'm afraid I have absolutely no nursing home experiences. My father died at home after being bedridden for 2 years after a stroke. My sister and BIL took care of my mother for about 5 months in their home during the last stages of her cancer. My FIL (alzheimers) also died at home with my dear MIL taking care of him and that was before Larry and I got together. I can only imagine what heavy hearts you must have loving and losing your parents as you knew them - as well as the frustrations dealing with nursing home situations might entail. My prayer is with each of you, and your parents, who are experiencing those difficulties.

Thelma -- out of the mouths of babes! I laughed out loud at your grandson's interpretation of his parents admonition. That's a keeper!

Weather here is pleasant. Sunny and supposed to get in the low 70s today. So, I'm off to open some windows and breathe in some fresh air. I think I may have overdone it a bit yesterday. Was bone tired by the end of the day (baking, ironing, a little planting -- decided to pre-pot before actually planting the redbird seeds Glenda sent me.) and then I danced to the beat of general picking up and cleaning up.

(Anyone else a DWTS fan?)

Holly, you can put me down for a solid 2-1/2 hours of movement yesterday - might have been more but I'm trying not to cheat when reporting in.

Sister #3284 - on her Tippie Toes - oxox, Darlys

Chocolate Kisses ...

That is the best ... to laugh with someone because you both think the same things are funny.
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2012 :  12:11:26 PM  Show Profile
Darlys, funny about you dancing. I do it all the time. I turn on my favorite music in my sewing room and heaven forbid if anyone saw me.... I dance around all the time. I guess that means Holly can put me down for at least 2 hours of dancing around on and off on Monday. 30 minutes of walking yesterday. I took to long ramp to class instead of the elevator all day. I'm pretty winded at the top. It is only 4 floors but two ramps for each floor. I carry a heavy backpack filled with all my books. Plus I park on the back 40 at school to get some extra walking in. It counts for at least an extra 15 minutes two days a week. I guess I should do better keeping track or we will never get out of the South! I want to head up to Maine and check it out up there.

Farmgirl number 3738

My blog: www.bunnyrose.com
My shop: www.bunnyroseco.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

Cooknnana
True Blue Farmgirl

213 Posts

Kathryn
Chandler OK
USA
213 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2012 :  2:22:19 PM  Show Profile
Thelma, I love to dance in the rain, too, but now I have neighbors...well, I am certifiable, right? hmmm Why not?

That's a really cool vase, Bunny; very interesting effect.

Darlys, I always liked watching DWTS, but haven't been able to since I moved into my own place again.

If there is a will, there's a way; find your way!

Sister #3282
Go to Top of Page

Oggie
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Ginny
Machias Maine
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2012 :  3:31:03 PM  Show Profile
WOW! It took me about three hours to catch up here! Of course I'm interrupted with Davids TV on but I feel bad always being elsewhere so sometimes I sit here in the livingroom with him.

Haven't been on because like Marianne said, one day I'm hurting the next I'm walking my property. Well, after all that snow and shoveling I think I tore some ligaments or something in my rotor cuff so I'm in a lot of pain until I can get to see my Dr. which isn't until Monday. But you gotta do what you gotta do.

Wow, next day now, didn't even finish this post! Qucik Ginny, get it together.

OK VIRTUAL TOUR

irst of all it's been super nice here and I managed to get out and walk again, put me down for at least 2 hours. Took my rabbit out for a stroll, he hates being on the leash but if he wasn't, he'd go off and wonder how to get fed! Total this week I'd say about 5 hours Holly.

I loved Disney World, especially Epcot But I loved that dinner show even more, lol! I'll be ready to be a pirate for sure. Told the hubby to send my 1775 costume down here so I'd have all my clothes for it. But those guys were pretty good looking at the dinner show and Penny, Katherine, Diane, sure had fun trying to decide which one each of them was going to get to come with them after the show.

Thelma I didn't tell you but I'd love some boots too! Apparently mine disappeared over the years so a new pair would be awesome.

Ok, I'm just going to post this and not respond to everything else since it's now about 2 hours since I started this on the second day. But I had an aweswome time the last few days. Thanks Holly for letting us stay!!

Ginny
Farmgirl #2343
www.thedewhopinn.com
www.etsy.com/shop/cybertiques

"I always have a wonderful time, wherever I am, whomever I'm with."
"Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it." Both by Elwood P. Dowd (Jimmy Stewart) in the Movie Harvey
Go to Top of Page

Oggie
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Ginny
Machias Maine
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2012 :  3:44:34 PM  Show Profile
I wanted to give a shout out to Glenda though! So glad you are doing well and at Eds! Heal, relax, get pampered! Good thing you have such a great guy to take care of you! Hope he cooks too!

Ginny
Farmgirl #2343
www.thedewhopinn.com
www.etsy.com/shop/cybertiques

"I always have a wonderful time, wherever I am, whomever I'm with."
"Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it." Both by Elwood P. Dowd (Jimmy Stewart) in the Movie Harvey
Go to Top of Page

beachymom
True Blue Farmgirl

467 Posts

Kathy
Manchester Tennessee
USA
467 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2012 :  5:38:41 PM  Show Profile
Darlys: is your sister LDS? If she is I bet my sister knows her.

Penny: thanks for the bowl info. I will try to make one & I'll let you know how it turns out.

As for the virtual tour: The dinner show was great...but, which one of you was ridding off on the back of that horse with the knight with the pony tail? After that huge dinner, I didn't want those crazy rides either. Spent the time at the spa. Mmmmmm....massage, pedi/mani. The guy giving me the rub down had really nice hands. I almost fell asleep on the table. What happened to the rest of you girls?

My oldest daughter came for the day to help me work in the garden. Found out that when my tiller said it tilled 10", it really meant 5". We had to dig, twist, tear and dump more compost into the ground. I think we worked 3 or 4 hours. But, we did get those peas planted. Good thing too. It's warming up so much lately, it may be too late for them if I'd have waited much longer. Also planted corn and sunflowers and some Early Girl tomatoes. Planted pretty flowers for the bees and herbs for me. She's coming back tomorrow for to plant the potatoes. I'll post pics in a month or so to show off a little.
Nite all!
Huggies
Kathy

Farmgirl Sister #3983

Take care of the land and it will take care of you.
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2012 :  5:43:34 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

I have been thinking Janiee that maybe you should redo your back lawn. Put in some flowering bushes and some field flowers and then you would not need to mow it. I would have a real hard time dealing with it if my partner had died mowing it. Recognizing that the yard had nothing to do with his death it would still be hard for me to separate the death from the yard. hugs to you.

Thelma I would be glad to relieve you of some of those perrenials. I could send you money for shipping. I think we live in similar climate zones.

Kathryn- sorry the nursing home peoplea re living in the fifties. Do they not have a patient's bill of rights? If tremors meant Parkinson's I'd have been put on meds a long time ago. The person in charge clearly does not understand homeopathy at all. You need to educate her whether she wants to be educated or not.

Penny, do you have baling twine? I have piles of the stuff and have been thinking of crocheting a door mat. Yah during some of my free time. lol If your horses are saddled western the knot to tie on the saddle is a windsor just like you tie a tie.

Yesterday and today I have been working on my raised beds for the vegetable garden. I have a small battery powered Dewalt circular saw that is not strong enough to do the heavy cutting of the TREX boards for the walls. The TREX is the cut off ends of the floor decking from last fall. It should last a good long time because it is an amalgamate of plastic and wood. So, I have one 3' X 4' bed finished and filled and two other smaller ones ready to have the last two sides on and filled. I bought horseradish roots to put in one. A friend whom we care for who is living with dementia has some rhubarb plants she no longer needs nor has she wanted for years that I am going to put in the other bed. I want to try getting some asparagus as well. I have been reading about planting by the moon so I do not need to rush and get all of the vegetables planted because root crops are planted on different days than above ground crops.

so, yesterday I did three hours of moving and today I did five. My mind was elsewhere a good share of the day because I must have climbed the stairs 25 times retrieving tools or clothes that I forgot when I started out.

I do like drying the clothes outside. A little more work, a lot more walking but the smell is so nice.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Reba2015
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Rebecca
Bakersfield Ca
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2012 :  5:46:08 PM  Show Profile
I am 40-12. ;)
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2012 :  6:00:41 PM  Show Profile
Virtual Trip

Well since the last tally of the hours sometime last week we have all moved a total of 72 hours 30 minutes. That is a lot of moving GFs. So, at three miles per hour that would be 217 and a half miles. Originally,I had us scheduled to do a week of reparative planting of native species on Penguin Island. We could work in the mornings and play on the beach in the afternoon and party on the evenings. Otherwise we could use up all of our miles nad just move on towards Fernadina Beach and light up their lives with our pirate costumes and quick wits.

I am going to post this and then edit it to add our new destinations so I do not lost the post.

From Orlando we will walk east to Christmas, Florida and make a brief stop there to take in the historical sites and do a little shopping because well, it will be Christmas.
http://www.city-data.com/city/Christmas-Florida.html the stats on this site are for Ginny.
http://www.nbbd.com/godo/FortChristmas/

Then we will walk to the ocean. All this time we have been in Florida and not a salt breeze to be breathed so here we go. We will see the ocean first at Titusville. http://www.titusville.com/page.asp?navid=216

Then we will walk north along route 1 to Nancy's house. There are many interesting places to visit. An area that has been settled as long as this one is sure to be interesting.

I think we should find some place to rent kayaks and travel the intracostal waterways north. I would like to pet some manatees. I would like to swim with some dolphins.

Good traveling and imagining.
Holly
farmgirl #2499

Edited by - Tall Holly on Mar 21 2012 6:26:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2012 :  6:36:45 PM  Show Profile
Hello,

I am supposed to ask all of you if you know anyway to get the stink of milk out of a car rug. My partner was putting two half gallon mason jars of milk in the back of the king cab on the truck and the bottom fell out of one of the jars. Now it is hot weather and neither she nor our 17 yo son are impressed with the odor.

hugs

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2012 :  7:28:36 PM  Show Profile
Hey Bunny ... a gal after my feet! You are doing so much more than I could even think about. Good for you, gf! BTW, Are you on the quarter or semester system at school? DS, Eric is on the quarter system and will get the week preceding Easter off. Then on to the spring quarter and his degree in music.

Funny you should mention it -- but I was actually thinking, just this afternoon, that we have been in Florida for 17 days! Wow. Shows how intriguing that snowbird state is! You are right, we should probably move on ... but first we have to get to Nancy's hometown of San Fernandina. There are pirates there and spooky stuff, too, according to Nancy.

Holly, I really did clean the garage today. I set timers. 2 plus hours before I talked to Nancy and another hour afterward. So, conservatively, 3 hours.

Hope we are all moving longer and faster so we can get to Nancy's and on up into more of the Eastern states. Gotta admit, Florida is fun, though.

Okay - I goofed. I was posting thinking I had come to the end of the current posts. I didn't realize there was a whole 'nother page. Now I have to get supper on - so I'll try to catch up tomorrow.

Sister #3284 - on her Tippie Toes - oxox, Darlys

Chocolate Kisses ...

That is the best ... to laugh with someone because you both think the same things are funny.

Edited by - darlystippie on Mar 21 2012 7:39:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2012 :  8:14:01 PM  Show Profile
It seems to be getting a bit hot in Florida, but sure beats the snow. I think we are all ready to move on. Looking for a pirates suit, must try at the thrift stores.
I cannot till my garden yet, there is still ice in it. It was too windy today to do any raking, but I did get laundry done and walking, about 2 hours for me today. Spent most of the day at the sewing machine. I just got a new one and am enjoying it.My other one, they want $700.00 to fix it, hubby said no, so got a cheaper one, but has over 100 stitches on it, just not the embroidery that I miss.
More tomorrow,

Janet

Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2012 :  8:49:34 PM  Show Profile
Wow, had a lot of catching up to do.
Glenda, get better Girl. Milk it for all it's worth! You know once you heal it's go-go-go again! lol
Kathryn, didn't I tell you that Mama got her card? I'm sorry.I'm slipping in my old age! haha She got it and couldn't wait to call me ad read it to me,then show it to me when I went over. She just loves getting cards and notes from you Gals! Thanks again!
Ok, is anybody else suffering from allergies already with this crazy warm weather? Every year I get worse. Never had allergies before. Then about 4 years ago it started. Now it's sneeze, blow, cough,cough,cough, sneeze, blow....etc...etc...etc....UGH!
I like red&yellow. I like a bright yellow kitchen an bathroom. Red&yellow posies are so perky and uplifting too.
Today I did laundry and hung it out to dry. One thing for sure, with this mild weather, we are saving money on heating bills and electricity! *giggle* But we had a guy come out to the house and try to weedle a little of it out of us today. We had gone to a Home&Garden show Saturday and DH signed up to get an estimate for Retrofoam insulation. He said for a house this size it would cost about $3400.00 to do . YIKES!!! NOT going to happen. We'll use the blow-in fiber particles(whatever it's called). ~~whew~~
Not that excited to part with my money!
Well,night Gals. Sleep well! Love Yuns!

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
"Why couldn't I have been born Rich instead of So Good Looking?"
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2012 :  9:48:05 PM  Show Profile
Hi gals,
Quick post for me. DH had oral surgery and I've been busy the last two days.

Holly - QVC sells a product by Don Aslet called X-O. It will remove the sour milk smell. Guaranteed. Seriously, they will give you your money back if you are not satisfied. My hubby was amazed at this product.

Bunny - that's a cool magazine bowl, but... I think I like Penny's style better. Both are cool though.

Ginny - I'm so sorry you are having such a time with your ligaments. That sounds really painful. Feet up girlfriend.

Kathy - So jealous that you are starting your garden. I am still months away...

Been a busy little gal making mashed potatoes and pudding and jello and pancakes for DH. Got a few other things done, too. So, movement wise, 2 hours onthe 20th and 90 minutes today...

thank heaven for pilates

Marianne

Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2012 :  05:21:47 AM  Show Profile
It rained a bit overnight, now the sun is trying to come out, but they are still forcasting rain for the next 3 days, so it looks like I will be working in the house today. Just when I have the whole day to work out there. Oh well.
I am hoping to start walking to the park, only 3 blocks from here, but it is a mile long and right on the lake. I try to get up to 3 miles a day, if possible.
Have a great day,

Janet

Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2012 :  05:54:39 AM  Show Profile
gr&#@******* I just lost my post and am now out of time! Everyone have a good "no junkfood day".
taa taa
Go to Top of Page

Cooknnana
True Blue Farmgirl

213 Posts

Kathryn
Chandler OK
USA
213 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2012 :  09:34:28 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning GF's! The sun is trying to shine; it manages a weak, "hello" on a occasion, but a full-on "Look! I'm back!". I think we need to dry out a bit before we get any more rain. I haven found a scythe yet, but Doc pointed out that if I used a scythe I would be unable to use my arms or straighten my back for several days… :/. The same with using scissors too, except I would have to add in the my legs being non-functional, as well. :(

Oh, but the good news is, I've lost 3.5 pounds!!! Yay!! Holly, put me down for an hour last night and 30 minutes this morning. Yoga and dancing; all the talk, yesterday, about dancing got me going. Only I have to sing for my music; I have a radio, but no speakers…sheesh! It's always something! Lol

Holly, that 's a great idea you gave Penny about the bailing twine; I don't have a doormat, but I do have some twine to make one with…you don't mind if I "borrow" that idea, do you GF's?

I haven't gotten anything done outside for my planting, but I'm going to start some seeds, this weekend, anyway, believing that God will provide a way to be able to put them outside in…something.

I like line dried clothes too, especially the sheets. That's another thing I'm going to have this year too, by golly. *giggle*

I don't know about your area there in Ohio, Judy, but here the ragweed is going like gangbusters. Ambrosia is the remedy for that; Ambrosia actually comes from ragweed. Remember, in Homeopathy, like cures like. I am doing so much better… Kali Bich. Is good for mid-late fall right on through the winter. Aconite for summer. Of course it depends on what's blooming in your area and what you're allergic to. Allergies, they say, often get worse as you get older; you become more sensitive. This is your homeopathic lesson for today. *chucle, chuckle*

If there is a will, there's a way; find your way!

Sister #3282
Go to Top of Page

janiee
True Blue Farmgirl

820 Posts

Janie
Shawnee Oklahoma
USA
820 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2012 :  10:40:58 AM  Show Profile
hello gals, it is another beautiful day in Texas! love the sunshine! i am going to try to mow the back yard when i get off work today. sometimes, you just got to put on your big britches and get 'er done.
just love all the natural herbal remedies - you gals are so impressive with your knowledge~!
just like you gals already planting a garden. i am just so impressed with all of you! over 50 is nothing for this group!
hugs
janiee
farmgirl #390
Go to Top of Page

Simple Living
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Joan
Staten Island NY
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2012 :  10:48:00 AM  Show Profile
I had to report for Jury Duty yesterday and was picked to perform my duties starting tomorrow. Anyway, I felt "old" sitting there with all the others. As I looked around I realized there weren't many of us over the age of 50 (or should I say closer to 60 lol). Then I realized they were all using their cell phones to play games or Ipods and no one is talking to each other. I felt really sad. As a society we don't communicate anymore with each other. So I just sat there took my book out and started reading. Then I looked up (felt like someone was staring at me lol) and another woman said to me "she felt out of place here...no one is friendly" . Obviously it wasn't just me feeling that way. But you know what I we started talking about things and I brought up Farmgirl Sisterhood and Mary Janes Magazine. She was very interested and I told her to join..She was excited! I did my duty in a different way :)

Friends are the Flowers in the Garden of Life
Farmgirl #3842
Go to Top of Page

Suellen5
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Sue
Fife Lake MI
17 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2012 :  11:34:26 AM  Show Profile
Hello fellow Farmgirls, I just joined the Sisterhood and am proud of being 53. Rarely to people believe me and I think it's true farm living.
Sueellen #3992
Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2012 :  11:43:12 AM  Show Profile
I am going to try to send a picture of the raffle quilt that I made. It sold for $400.00
Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2012 :  11:44:00 AM  Show Profile
Ok I'll try again
Go to Top of Page

Thelma