herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2011 :  12:51:04 PM  Show Profile
Hello Cheryl and Welcome to the 50-ish group of Spunky Old Gals! Deb is right. I was thinking the same thing. You have a lot of energy too...obviously! You Go Girl is Right-On! LOL
Deb...since Patsy got lost somewhere...hahaha....I'll answer ya....YES, we are Sissys all right. She's 3 years older than me. And she's the BEST!!! *giggle*
Well, we are in the upper 40's and cloudy...BUT I have some windows open airing out the place. Smells great now!
Later Gals! Got cleaning to do! Love yuns!

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
"Why couldn't I have been born Rich instead of So Good Looking?"
Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2011 :  5:23:02 PM  Show Profile
I know all about the ffod grandchildren eat. I was prepared and made spaghetti the night they were here and for breakfast next morning I scrambled 18 eggs (thank heavens for my own chickens) and cooked 2 lbs of bacon and made 24 biscuits and there were no left overs.

It's 97 today in the high desert and is breezy. It won't last. We can have frost as late as the end of April.
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2011 :  7:53:49 PM  Show Profile
97....Yowza Betty.....that's TOO hot for me. ~~whew~~

Judy
Hugs&Squeezles!
Go to Top of Page

debra e
True Blue Farmgirl

261 Posts

Debra
Georgia
USA
261 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2011 :  8:37:50 PM  Show Profile
Wow 97 degrees in Calif. That is warm...But I just watched the news on the weather and we are to have 81 by Monday. Tomorrow in the 70's and I am sooooo glad. We have had a lot of rain. I love this time of year. I will be in the garden tomorrow. Yippeee! I love Saturdays. We sleep in and then go to breakfast and meet about 8 or more of our friends at a little hole in the wall grill. Buford Grill. "They have the best dam biscuits in town." It says that right on the waitresses t-shirts. They know you by name and as soon as you walk in they know what you like to drink and have it at your table. It is great little place. Love Saturday mornings. Catchin up with friends,a good cup of coffe and a biscuit. Life is good on Saturday mornin.

debra e

Farmgirl Sister
Go to Top of Page

craftbug
True Blue Farmgirl

545 Posts

Patsy
Clarkson Kentucky
USA
545 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2011 :  10:12:27 AM  Show Profile  Send craftbug a Yahoo! Message
Paula- medicine wheel sounds interesting, but don't see where Judy read about it, even though i searched back in the posts..hmmmm

Judy- HERE I am! *waves* can answer for myself thank you. ;) we are and shall always be sisters, she's my BESTEST!! (and only)

Cheryl- you place sounds busy! we have had all those animals,plus rabbits, only not all at once. only wish i had room for goats and a horse.

Debra- We're to have near 80 today and tomorrow, but you KNOW what's coming, yup...storms...
your saturdays sound very special. :)

Make my words soft and tender, for I may have to eat them. :)
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2011 :  11:30:17 AM  Show Profile
Debra....In your case....I think weeks should have MORE SATURDAYS!!!! Yeaaahhh!!! We could start by doing away with those*blaahhh* Mondays...maybe Tuesdays too....LOLOL

Judy
Hugs&Squeezles!

Edited by - herblady55 on Apr 03 2011 11:32:19 AM
Go to Top of Page

Shi-anne
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Cheryl
Ada OK
USA
596 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2011 :  1:48:07 PM  Show Profile
Good idea on doing away with Mondays, Judy!!!

Betty, do you know the name of the person your son is staying with?

There are still jobs to be had here, but it isn't what it once was. Most can work, they just can't be picky.

My oldest son is a computer programmer for Pre-paid and then works in one of the after school programs, teaching computer programming and guitar....so, he has two jobs. DD#1 works for a day care and is suppose to work about 15 hours a week. For the last month and half, she has been getting in over 45 hours a week as they are short handed. DD#2 works with mentally and physically disabled and they need 5 people to cover the shifts in their home. They are short two people, so her hours are also crazy. I just keep the grands and try to remember when and where their parents are working.;)

A lot of industry has left this area, just like the rest of the country. But Ada is the headquarters for the Chickasaw Nation and there are a lot of work opportunities available with them. Also, Pre-paid is headquartered here and we have a few other industries still thriving, like Solo Cup.

How much is gas where you are? I paid $3.69 a gallon yesterday. They say Tulsa is the cheapest in the country with $3.49 per gallon.

http://theprairiemaid.blogspot.com/

Farmgirls don't have hot flashes ~ They have power surges!
Go to Top of Page

craftbug
True Blue Farmgirl

545 Posts

Patsy
Clarkson Kentucky
USA
545 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2011 :  2:34:14 PM  Show Profile  Send craftbug a Yahoo! Message
I thought i was back in Ohio when I looked at my weather.. in 80s next 2 days with WIND, then next day *SNOW SHOWERS*, high of 55,then next 2 days in uppers 70s....wow! WEIRD!!

Make my words soft and tender, for I may have to eat them. :)
Go to Top of Page

debra e
True Blue Farmgirl

261 Posts

Debra
Georgia
USA
261 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2011 :  8:45:17 PM  Show Profile
I cannot believe that the weekend is over. It went way to fast. And now for the dreaded Monday's.
I really don't mind them so much. I teach a senior fitness class at our parks and rec community building.I love the people that are there. There are about 35 seniors that come to the class and they are a great bunch. Mondays are harder to motivate them though.
I have seen our weather report and Ga is to have severe storms tomorrow/Monday eve. Then cold temps again. Today was beautiful. 75 degrees. But the pine pollen has started and my alergies are acting up. Anyone else having that trouble? There is a fine dusting of yellow pollen everywhere. Debra e

Farmgirl Sister
Go to Top of Page

FG Vicki
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Vicki M
Etna CA
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2011 :  10:12:56 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies,
I just found this thread and have really enjoyed reading it.
I'm 54 and my husband and I have been married for 37 years, growing up we had always dreamed of living a self sufficient life. About 9 years ago we bought our dream property and 2 1/2 years ago moved to it. We were fortunate that we were able to pay for it and the home we built, althought the house is still not finished completly. But our garden fence is up and a good part of the garden is workable. The chicken house is up as well as their yard. We feel we are well on our way. We live off the grid and are still saving for our solar set up but we are managing well without full time power.
I'm still working full time and usually can only use my computer while at work , this weekend I'm staying at my sisters so I'm having fun on the computer. I hope I can stay in touch, you ladies are such a blast :)

Vicki M

"What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything"
Vincent van Gogh
Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2011 :  09:41:52 AM  Show Profile
Cheryl,
I don't know the name of the person he's staying with. All I know is it's girlfriends brother. As for gas.....I wish I lived in OK. I don't especially like CA even before the gas prices went up.....we're paying $4.05 a gallon. We just don't make as many trips to town like we did before since it's 30 miles round trip. My husband still works, but he retired from teaching after 41 years. Now he sells furniture to supplement our retirement. I work part time also. We plan a trip to KS and MO in June but at least the gas will be cheaper once we get out of CA.
Go to Top of Page

Shi-anne
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Cheryl
Ada OK
USA
596 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2011 :  1:42:54 PM  Show Profile
Vicki, sounds like you guys are on the right track! I wish we were set up with solar power. That would be awesome.

http://theprairiemaid.blogspot.com/

Farmgirls don't have hot flashes ~ They have power surges!
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2011 :  3:39:38 PM  Show Profile
Hi Vicki and Welcome to our thread. WOW! I love the sound of your place and good for you, living off the grid. How wonderful!
Yes....please keep in touch and share with us your stories of how you do things. I'm so interested!
Cheryl, the gas prices today are $3.79. How dreadful. This summer I will be walking and bicycling to town. It's times like these that I'm glad we live in this small town.

Judy
Hugs&Squeezles!
Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2011 :  5:33:26 PM  Show Profile
I'll take $3.79 over our $4.05
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2011 :  5:52:26 PM  Show Profile
We find out gas prices are anywhere from 3.69 in Spokane to 3.85 in our little town. They have a us over a barrel if we need to get gas here. My husband drives an old Honda that still gets 32 mpg. Our trips otherwise are planned to do many things on that certain day. We also bought a new "Cover-It" green house cover to replace one that has been up through rain, snow & sun for 19 years. come to find out, the company was taken over by another and the covering isn't as heavy and usually only lasts 5-6 years. We had snow again and are told we will have a colder wetter summer like we had last year. Only the cooler weather crops really did well, but with the food prices and all the recalls we have had over the past few years, I really want to grow as much as possible.

I "got" to go to the doctor today for heart and BP check. He told me, thatI need to learn self-care..taking care of myself instead of last. Why would he say that to a retired nurse? No wonder my bladder is shot after all the years of learning to delay potty breaks etc. How does one over 50++ learn how to do that? Guess I will try.

Buffypuff/ Claudia ~ Farmgirl & Sister #870 ~
"It compliments God to ask great things of Him." ~ St. Theresa of Avila

Go to Top of Page

Oggie
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Ginny
Machias Maine
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2011 :  5:53:17 PM  Show Profile
Well in my neck of the woods gas is now $3.79 and IT'S SNOWING!!!! My God, we are so sick of the white stuff. On Friday we actually had a Nor'easter and got about 8 inches of the stuff and I see now, it's doing it again. But with gas this high, we don't go anywhere so I guess it doesn't matter if it's snow, although I would like to plant a garden! :)

Ginny
Farmgirl #2343
www.thedewhopinn.com

"I always have a wonderful time, wherever I am, whomever I'm with."
"Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it." Both by Elwood P. Dowd (Jimmy Stewart) in the Movie Harvey
Go to Top of Page

Lady Woodworker
True Blue Farmgirl

259 Posts

Karen
Chamberlain Maine
USA
259 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2011 :  6:07:55 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ginny,

It's nice to see another Maine Farmgirl here.
We also got several inches here on the coast on Friday and almost an inch today too.
Gratefully, it's melting.
My husband calls these spring snows, "Poor Man's Fertilizer."

I am trying to be patient and to enjoy the snow but I am so ready for flowers...

Karen

Farmgirl Sister # 2419
Go to Top of Page

Oggie
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Ginny
Machias Maine
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2011 :  6:17:19 PM  Show Profile
After I posted, then I read what was written since my last time on here, lol! Need to come on here more, I'd post shorter replies!

If you want to visit Maine it depends on if you want touristy or real. Southern Maine is very much for tourists, Northern Maine is very much Mainiacs. As I think I've said before, I live 60 miles to the nearest stop light and 100 miles to a mall (which I never go to, but still). Then there is the "do you want to see the coast or do you want to see mountains" cuz we've got it all!

I took care of my Aunt for 9 years. We moved here to our house from Seattle Washington. I had met her once in my life, my husband and daughter had never met her. We talked on the phone, wrote, etc... but not actually met! I sure do miss her! She was the most petite, polite, nicest woman I or anyone else could have ever met. I still have folks come up to me and say how they thought she was the nicest lady. She never married so when she was telling me about her health one day, I said she really needed to think about moving here so we could take care of her. Within two weeks, she was here!

Five years ago my father had his descending colon removed in emergency operation. The Dr. told Mom to say Good Bye and she was like, I'll see him when he comes out. They finally took her aside and said he wouldn't probably come out, he was 87. Well he did, after three weeks in the hospital they put him in rehab, Mom found him sick and not being cared for, wheeled him out the door, called me and said "I booked you a flight, come and take care of your father, I can't lose him & he can't stay in that place". I did for four months. We & his Doctors now call him the miracle man. He is 92, has no bag, no tubes, is perfectly fine but walks with his cane or walker. I'm so glad I did that!!! Those four months were priceless even if it meant leaving my hubby and daughter! The folks still live in a big old house, do all the yard work, all the inside work, and I'm pretty sure their love for each other and their constant staying busy is why he's still with us! I love older people!

Ginny
Farmgirl #2343
www.thedewhopinn.com

"I always have a wonderful time, wherever I am, whomever I'm with."
"Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it." Both by Elwood P. Dowd (Jimmy Stewart) in the Movie Harvey
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2011 :  10:56:45 AM  Show Profile
Oh what beautiful, touching and funny things you Gals write. ThankYouAll.
Karen, I love the "Poor Man's Fertilizer" comment.Sorry that you and Ginny are still getting so much snow. But I suppose it's all good for the water-table. Right? We had flurries/40 this afternoon. Yesterday we had 68/sprinkles. Can't win in Spring. It does the whole April-Thang...just for fun and just because it can! LOL
Ginny, what a BIG heart you have to take care of your Auntie & Dad like you did. God Bless You for it. I think you're right bout "Love & Hard work" keeping the elderly going. My Mama is 83 and she still loves to take care of others. It's in her blood and I wouldn't have her slow down for anything. She'd just curl up & die. Claudia, you remind me of her in THAT respect. Others first...then You!
Make it a GREAT Day Gals! Love ya all!

Judy
Hugs&Squeezles!
Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2011 :  6:17:48 PM  Show Profile
Well girls, we have a storm coming in which might give us some needed rain but the wind is pretty bad. I was supposed to go to my quilt club meeting tonight but think I'll stay home. That wind can really blow a car around especially with 60mph gusts. It's supposed to freeze tonight. Golly! last week it was in the 80's and 90's and now this. It won't last but it's good I have protected my plants. Hope everyone else is having decent weather.
Go to Top of Page

debra e
True Blue Farmgirl

261 Posts

Debra
Georgia
USA
261 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2011 :  10:22:23 PM  Show Profile
Hey Betty, (dessert willow) It is hard to imagine that you are having some frezzing temptures out there in Calif. Hasn't this weather been crazy? One day it is cold and the next is warm. Confusing for the plants. I planted seeds today here in Ga. I am going to have to cover the new seeds for a few days. It is suposed to be colder in the morning. I think that the seeds will be allright but you ever know when they are perdicinting a freze. I hope that you are staying safe and warm. Have a good weekend.
Debra e

Farmgirl Sister
Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2011 :  1:02:56 PM  Show Profile
Hi Debra, Yes, the weather has been crazy this year. Our springs are like this though. It did get down to 30 last night and it was windy. It will only get up in the 50's today and it's still windy and too cold to work outside. Guess this will be my inside day to clean house and quilt a little. In a day or two we'll go back to warmer temps. Come summer I'll be wishing for days like this as it gets up to 115-120 in the summer for about two weeks. There is no humidity so you don't feel it as much but the A/C feels good. Have a good day, Betty
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1401 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1401 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2011 :  2:22:15 PM  Show Profile
I think I will go to the farm store and get some seed potatoes to plant. I don't think it is too early to get them into the ground. I just love little red potatoes, especially with creamed peas. Yummmm.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2011 :  5:06:56 PM  Show Profile
I had to just laugh. Linda (prayingranny) is out in Calif. right now and she called yesterday to say it was cooooold! When I told her we had 70's in Missouri, she couldn't believe it. She's living in Kansas now and was hoping for all the nice warm weather while she's there. I told her that in a few days what she's having right now will bring us spring storms. hahaha And they can be nasty at times. Hugs,Brenda

http:///www.scatteredlittleblessings.blogspot.com

Seek reasons to Love..In every sigment of everyday-look for something that brings forth within you a feeling of Love-Abraham Hicks
Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2011 :  7:51:06 PM  Show Profile
Betty J, We planted potatoes a couple of weeks ago. We planted red potatoes because we like them in green beans and add a bit of bacon. I've never tried them with green peas so will have to give them a try this year when we harvest potatoes. Yes! It's cold in CA. Last week we had 80's and 90's and now it's down in the 50's. We'll have another freeze tonight but then it's supposed to warm up again.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 218 **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Farmgirls over age 50 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page