Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2012 :  6:04:37 PM  Show Profile
While I'm waiting for the baked potatoes to cook I'll chat a bit. What a beautiful day we have had in Iowa today. I specnt several hours digging grass for a new hosta bed by me garden shed. I have so many hostas I don't know where to put them all. Guess my kids and friends will have to cart a few away.

Kathy. Your fabric is ready to mail also. I better get that done for you. It is supposed to rain for the next 2 or 3 days so I'll get at it. I promise. I think I will just enjoy my fabric for now and sew it up next fall. Lets not send each other any finished projects at this time - Deal?

Glenda - yes I took some photography classes - However the instructors didn't tell me about the computer end of posting my masterpieces. I did find out that my pictures are of better quality now that I have a better camera so I needed to have an upgrade installed. Now I just have to figure out the sizing thing. I do think that this sight and the project site sometimes allow us to post and sometimes not. Just like losing posts. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Karen - I would love to raise hens for eggs, but I know what I am capable of and that doesn't include gathering eggs and mucking out a chick coop in the dead of winth. I don't care to raise chick for meat so I too am living vicariously through these wonderful galsjust as you are.

Holly - I'm glad you post most evenings. It is nice to see how your day went. Taa taa "chickie poos" chat again soon. My potatoes are done.

Edited by - Thelma on Apr 24 2012 6:07:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2012 :  7:22:16 PM  Show Profile
Thelma, I can't even find out how to "sign" my pictures before posting them. It is supposed to be a simple thing but I do think you have to have Photoshop or something similar to do much. Because I have taken a lot of art classes over the years, I get the composition, lighting, etc. but I am so non-technical the rest of it escapes me. I have several cameras but the only one I ever have with me is in the Iphone. And sometimes mother nature gives me such a beautiful scene nothing can mess it up. When I use my Canon I get good results but that has to be a planned thing.
I am not even going to have a garden this year. Just lots of weeds. It's driving me crazy. Talked to a neighbor in town yesterday and I think we are going to try to fence off just around the house and let him run some goats in here to keep down the brush and weeds. It really breaks my heart to think of all the gardens and animals I have had in the past but I have to accept some physical limitations (including age) now. Maybe it is time to let go of this place and go back to the city. My kids really don't like me being out here by myself. A sign on Pinterest says there is a difference between quitting and knowing when you have had enough. I too enjoy reading what everyone else is doing while I can't do it myself.

Glenda #3534
http://www.gypsyglenda.com
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2012 :  7:36:51 PM  Show Profile
Holly, we have 2 hawks 2 doors down from here that has a big nest in the top of a pine tree and can look right down into our yard. We hear them squacking at us when we are out, they are protecting their nest. Now we are afraid to have our little Yorkie out too long. They do circle us when we are walking around the block. That must be why we have not seen any squirrels or rabbits around lately.
Patty, love the brick patio. Looks like real bricks. You always find the most interesting things and ways to decorate. Very creative.
Glenda, How are you feeling? Are you able to do more now? How about driving?
I could not get out today to work in the yard again. We have such high winds here. We live just 2 blocks from the lake and up on a hill, so we get lots of wind here. I want to finish raking and getting my gardens ready to plant, even though can't plant much for another month or so.
More tomorrow,

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2012 :  04:27:24 AM  Show Profile
Good morning , gosh, I have such a busy week. Hopefully I can get everything done. Since being put on blood pressure meds I have been so lethargic. But the dr said I will feel this way for the first few weeks taking it. I can't wait to feel as I am "under 50" once again and be back to normal.
Jake had his surgery yesterday and is fine. They went ahead and did the other repair work on his leg that needed done instead of waiting so this should be the last surgery. For those who were not on the thread in November, my son was coming home from work on his motorcycle and someone in front of him lost a mattress. He was on a 6 lane highway and traffic was heavy on both sides of him and he could not avoid the mattress with cars on both sides. He has had 4 surgeries on his collarbone, arm and leg.
I have a pot of beans cooking, and will do a little cleaning and sewing this morning. I have over a dozen feed sacks sitting in my living room all made into shopping bags but awaiting for the handles to be sewn on.
My mother, 2 aunts, and some cousins will all meet here at my house around 11 and we will head out to a local church for a salad luncheon. It has been a family tradition.
After lunch I am going out to mom's to help her in the garden for a bit.
Yesterday I found 2 old cabinets on craigslist and went to pick them up. So they are sitting in the garage right now. I need to get them cleaned up and painted before Dalous gets back from Ohio...lol. He accepts change much better around here if he is not here to see the transformations. Those old cabinets would look like "junk" to him. He never sees beyond the "junk or trash" to see the real beauty.
Janet- I steal most of my ideas off of pinterest these days...lol. I am such a pinterest junkie. The hawks are bad around here too. My GF took 12 of my chicks and at about 6 weeks old a hawk cleaned all but one of them out. He came back and got them in 3 different feedings.
Glenda- It was so nice chatting with you. Funny how just a simple farmgirl thread can create such wonderful friendships. I use Print Shop to put a signature on my photos for my blog. Wish I were living closer so we could sit and I could help you with the photos. :)
Karen- Our community does not allow chickens. I am a rebel. We have a privacy fence in our backyard and I keep chickens, pigeons and quail. I play a radio out there during the day to try and drown the sound of the cooing of pigeons, cackling of the hens, and crowing of the quail. Funny thing, when I got home from my errands yesterday there was a letter in the mail from the city... my heart dropped to my toes. I just knew I was busted. But it was a letter stating the neighbor needed a variance to put a new front porch on and it had to be "approved" by neighbors. The grouchy old man needs a porch. We will walk over there with a smile on our face and let him know he has nothing to worry about. We won't object to his request...(even though he is one of the meanest old grouchy people I have ever lived near).
Holly- When your son or sister come to visit, do let me know....I will always have a few pigeons to send your way.
Ginny- I am remembering you in prayer. Your unspoken request are in my prayer box. :)
Thelma- I wished we lived closer too, so we could sit with a cuppa tea or coffee and put your pictures online. :)
Auntie M- I gotta know...how often do you drive to Lambert's? We drive down to Sikeston to eat a couple of times a year.
Well, I had better get off of here...this was not on my "To -Do- List".
I have quail coops to clean this morning. :) Have a wonderful day.

Patty #1840

http://ladygonegreen.blogspot.com/

A rind is a terrible thing to waste. Compost.

When they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, “Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted.”
-Jesus in John 6:12 NIV Bible
Go to Top of Page

Marylyn
True Blue Farmgirl

316 Posts

Marylyn
Ellsinore MO
USA
316 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2012 :  05:24:06 AM  Show Profile
Good morning, Sister Farmgirls!!! It is a beautiful morning here in the Ozarks...the sun is shining and the temps are mild. So much to do today before going back to work tomorrow!

Patty, I noticed you were from Carlinville a while back and I thought 'hey, we're neighbors!' it has been a few years since we were in Carlinville, but my husband has a good friend that lives there. My husband lived in Godfry for about 20 years when he worked for the railroad. (in his life before me)! I love Lamberts! However, I haven't been there in several years...my husband refuses to wait to eat! Lamberts is only about an hour and fifteen minutes from my farm! And since the gas prices started soaring a few years ago, we really haven't gone anywhere except to Poplar Bluff to go shopping and on a couple of vacations. Maybe we'll run into each other at Lamberts one day!

Best wishes to everyone...may your days be filled with sunshine (unless you need rain) and may all of your trials be lessened.

Love and Light,

Auntie M
Farmgirl # 4062
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2012 :  05:51:42 AM  Show Profile
Patty, good to hear from you. You are such a busy gal. Glad Jake is doing well and hopefully no more surgeries. Show us before and after pictures of your cabinets. I love looking at what you do. I wish I lived closer to you, I would be over there, probably too often to help you out. How is you back doing?
Marylyn, how nice to find someone somewhat close to you. Maybe some day you and Patty can meet halfway and make a day of it, that is whan Patty is not so busy.
It is 32 degrees here now, so at least we know it will be above freezing in a little while, but calling for rain this afternoon, so looks like no yardwork again. Maybe I will gp do some thrifting.
Later,

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2012 :  06:15:58 AM  Show Profile
The weather here these last few days has been the best. It is just cool enough to feel wonderful working and walking. The humidity is low and the skies with those great clouds are wonderful. The temps are in the low to mid seventies. What a lovely spring we are having. Hope it lasts for a long time because the summers these past 2 years have been really hot!

Patty love hearing from you. I am so glad that the news about Jake's surgery is good. I have kept him in my prayers as well as you. I am going over to your blog to see what is happening. Let us know what you do with the cabinets. I like seeing all the creative things you do. I wish I had a way of having some birds and chickens here but not possible so I wll just have to enjoy hearing about yours and seeing pics of them.

Thelma, thanks for sharing the pictures. I enjoyed seeing the house. It is so pretty. Hoping to see how that basement turned out. What did you do with the flooring? Is it carpet or painted? Yep, that is one striaght road. Most here where I live are curved. We have no hills so to speak which I do kind of miss now and then. My last house was on a hill and did get tired of trudging up and down when I went for a walk. I love the little forest near us to walk in here. Isn't it frustrating trying to post pics? I also have trouble and sometimes get so frustrated. I think it is my computer. Well, I will blame it anyway! giggle.

Kathy, I am glad to hear that you are putting lots of flowers and herbs in your garden. I really enjoyed seeing some of the beautiful flowers that were posted last year. It is a little slow here as far as getting the garden going this year. We haven't planted too many new flowers and the veggie garden isn't as diverse as last year.

Holly, I so enjoyed seeing the pics of that bird. We have so many different birds here and I never seem to get my camera in time to get pictures of them when they are near the house. My favorite birds are the woodpeckers and cardinals. The red on the cardinals is so pretty against the green trees and they are so amusing the way they fly around.

Auntie M. Hope you got a nice fishing pole. We have been looking at them for quite a while even though we have 2 or 3 already. Wow, that fish sounds like it was one delicious meal. Last fish we caught was a
grouper" which is very prevailant here. We did have a friend give us about 3 pounds of fresh, local shrimp last week and it tasted so good. I just cooked it with garlic and we had rice and cole slaw with it.
Congratulations on the new G-baby. Being a grandma was THE best for me. I miss playing with the girls sometimes because we always had so much fun. Whatever I thought up to do they would go for it even if it was the silliest thing. I loved that. I had them make up my face once giving each girl a part of my face. We laughed so hard afterward that we had tears in our eyes. I looked like a two faced person.

Ginny I am continuing to pray for you. Love you, sister. Don't worry about the weeds too much. Just tell anyone who says anything that you are growing a new type of yard... one with all weeds. Afterall it takes much less time to care for it. Haha! Good idea with the goats. Some folks around here have them but they live on big pieces of propety unlike myself.

Janet, I was taking care of my daugher's little 2 pound dog once and some hawk really showed up a lot. It even swooped down on my DH on our patio while that little dog was there. Also, we had a owl that got one of our cats. The cat got out one early morning before dawn and we heard a thump on the roof of our house. Never saw the cat again. Guess with all this garden preparation going on you sisters are going to have some wonderful things growing in your garden.

I am having my cup of coffee and I am going to get myself some breakfast. DH is still asleep so I am going to make some pancakes for us. Guess I had better have a banana too, as they all have brown speckles on them.

Welcome to all you new ladies. Just jump in. We love having you here.

Hugs and squeezies,

Nancy

Make everyday a celebration of the heart.
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2012 :  10:17:01 AM  Show Profile
Good morning girlfriends. Patty, I enjoyed chatting with you too, I am bad about calling people, talking myself out of it "they are probably busy" "it's near lunch time" "They might go to bed early" etc. etc. But since I live alone and have no schedule, you can call me any time at all. I am always so glad to hear from my friends. I will look into Print Shop,maybe it will do what I want and not be so expensive as Photoshop.
When I used to have chickens the hawks got quite a few of them, so I finally had to build a large covered run for them and not let them out, which I hated. We left some bushy cover near their pen so they could run for cover but still lost some of them. We also had so many problems with raccoons and foxes trying to get them at night. However, I dont think anything ever bothered the guineas. They would always hide their nests in the brush around the place so it was hard to find them, and they are terrible setters and even if they do hatch, they aren't good mothers. We used to find dead baby guineas here and there on the place. So we tried to find their eggs and put them under a setting hen, had some success with this. Finally we found an incubator was the answer if we wanted to hatch anything. I miss those days but think they are over for me. I am thinking about setting up my aquariums again and maybe getting some canaries and finches for a little avairy so i will have something. but then there goes my travel plans. Oh, well, can't have it all.
When I came back this last time from Austin, my outside cat was starving, all her food was gone and there were tracks and scat around the porch that indicated a fox had been here. Also I could hear the weird screech sound of a fox that first night back. Also when I took my tiny dogs out to potty, I could smell something awful nearby, not a skunk, and they were scared, so we ran back inside and they didn't get to pee that night. It is the time of year for wild hogs and I've heard they are really bad and really agressive this year. I have a 8' game fence to keep the deer out around 9 acres but there are lots of places for animals to dig under, so I guess I need a good solid fence right around the house itself. Would solve a lot of problems. I can't go back a page without losing this, but one sister asked how I was doing--I can drive with no problem, can lift up to 20 lbs now, am healing well as far as I know but then 2 days ago I decided to raise my windows because it was such a beautiful day and that hurt in a big way. Dr said I have to start very slowly and easy and carefully and build up gently as I wont be completely healed for another 3 months....good grief.....I don't think I can deal with that. everytime I start to do anything there is something that needs to be lifted, moved, etc. even to vacuum seems to take too much strength. Right now I am wanting to take a space which was an old garage, which was then enclosed when we built a real garage, then became a catch-all for garden tools, junk, etc. so now I want to clean it all out, and turn it in to the ultimate arts crafts room since my stuff is now scattered all over the whole place and i am too disorganized to actually work, just spend my time looking for what I need. Anyway, I am going to have to find some kids to come help me move things. I am going to do some before and after pics to see what I can come up with, using ideas from Pinterest too. Well, this was not on my to do list either and I tend to stay on the computer way too long in order to avoid doing any real work. I look at Pinterest for a couple of hours at night when there isn't anything on TV.
Have a great day everybody, and yes we want a full report tonight. hugs, glenda

Glenda #3534

Edited by - doll58maker on Apr 25 2012 10:19:51 AM
Go to Top of Page

Country Dreamer
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

Karen
Lake Villa Illinois
USA
14 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2012 :  3:58:43 PM  Show Profile
Sounds like everyone had a great day. For a hump, Wednesday, work went quickly, having meetings all afternoon didn't hurt..just sent me home with a headache.

It is nice having hubby retired, I guess,he had dinner ready and after saying hello to you all I think I need to work on my sweater sleeve. Only one more piece of sweater left then I get to block it,put it together and knit the edging. Sure did take a long time.. I have two other projects waiting. Anyone knit? Anyone have blocking tricks to share?

Glenda you had back surgery? I can identify with the long recovery as I had shoulder surgery late in 2010. Almost a year of PT, and shoulder still hurts with certain movements. Yoga helps a lot.

Yes I do enjoy your animal stories and Patty..that is wonderful. You are a rebel @ heart. Everyone have a great Thursday!

Karen
Farmgirl #3975
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2012 :  5:27:39 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

Jan do you sail? being just two blocks from the lake I was hoping you might. I really like to sail. I have not done much of it in many years. When I was young I was a waterfront counselor at Girl Scout Camp and I taught sailing and rowing and canoeing and swimming as well. Now I live in the only land locked New England state.

Today the UPS man brought some netting for me to put over the tops of my bird pens. It is 100' X 25'. It should do a couple of the pens. I am hoping this will give the chickens some space to roam and some safety from the predators. I am hoping it will protect them from the climbing raccoons as well.

Years ago my father used to skin dive off the coast of Cape Cod. One time he was diving near some rocks and a grouper came out and bit him on the leg. I am pretty sure it was a grouper. Big mouth anyway. He shot is with his spear gun and brought it home to eat. The fish bit him through his wet suit and left scars.

I am too slow most times to get good bird pictures. That is why this hawk is standing on the ground. Note not lifting off. I would so like to be able to hold the camera steady and follow a bird flying through the air to get an in flight picture. I am practicing on the guinea fowl. I send Talie to chase them to get them to fly. he has not been very successful in getting them to fly past the path of my camera lens.

I knit but have not done so in a long time. I loved changing colors and stitches. But, I stopped when the children were little because I despise picking up stitches when a child pulled out the needle. Now I have too many other projects going on to even think about starting a knitting project.

Anyone heard from Penny? or Kathryn? or Bunny? or Marianne? or even Chris?

Today I fixed the pen I blew off yesterday. It is already for the roosters to be put into. Now if the weather would warm up a few degrees at night and the wind would stop blowing for a few days I could put them out. I want them to be out a few days to get used to the weather before it turns cold. Like I have any control over it. The new laying chicks arrived a day early. I put some chicken with from one wall turned the corner to the other wall to keep them separated from the month old roosters. I stapled two boards along the bottom at right angles to each other to give the fence a little shape. So, much for my great fence the laying chicks are small enough to run through the holes in the wire. Both sets of birds seem to be doing well side by side.

I type at night because I could easily spend hours on the computer and it is a way for me to self regulate. I have not even opened the addictive site called Pinterest even though all of you tell me how much interesting information is on it.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2012 :  5:37:19 PM  Show Profile
Kathryn - I hope you are feeling better ... we have noticed that you weren't on - I thought you were busy at work. I hope you got the fabric by now. Don't worry aboout getting anything back. When you feel better and have more energy will be plenty soon enough.

Thelma, fun to see your home pictures. You have a lovely house. And your gravel road looks like a peaceful, long walk.

Hey Holly, I hope the worst weather misses you.

I feel for Kethry. I had soft teeth growing up, too. And too many for my little mouth to boot. I hope she has a more talented dentist than I had. Dr. Jentoff always asked me questions as he put the drill in my mouth and smiled and called me "Dolly." I, to this day, think he thought that was my name.

I feel for Talie, too. I have a son who is a planner, too. Still needs "structure." And there were incidents of the same sort. Even though it was just pretty much a difference in personalities - it still hurt. He felt like an outsider because the other kids weren't on the same page.

Amazing photos of the gosshawk ....

Thelma - I guess I have to admit that, like you, I would love to gather eggs, toss feed around and such ... but I think it is just a fantasy of mine. DH reminds me of the "responsibility" of having birds and animals .... so I have to choose my actual pasttimes with some care. If I had Patty's passion for birds and/or Patty's and Holly's abilities .... well, as I said, I guess it's just my fantasy. So I will continue to be dazzled with their skill and energy.

Karen -- I am SO photo-posting challenged! I'm giving up because I want to enjoy the posts and conversations ... rather than become so frustrated that I want to throw Windows out the window. So, much as I love you all ... the photos I managed to get posted before may be it.

Hey Bunny ... I remember you mentioning that you once lived near Sonora. I think I may actually know some folks in Twain Harte -- if they are still there. If you do get to move back .... you will be on the road between Jackson and Oakhurst ... one that we travel periodically. Larry promised that we will stop in Sonora next trip on 49. I wish you were still there. I'd be in your shop for SuRE!

PATTY! Gosh, I'm so glad you are back! I've really, really missed you. And you have been in my prayers. I love reading your posts. I go to your blog occasionally, too - but have yet to "sign in." I finally figured out how to do that (I think) on Glenda's blog. I practice my bumbling attempts on her. She's so good natured about it. It looks like you are feeling somewhat better - but, girlfriend, you are already putting me to shame with your busyness. You just can't stay put, can you? Will be looking forward to seeing what you've done with the cabinets.

Glad to hear Jake's surgery went well. Finally, he will be able to say "That sucked!" Well, he's probably said that more than once already. He has continued to be in my prayers.

I've just got to confess that- sometimes my prayer list seems so long that I just hold up the book and say ... "Lord, you know who all is in here and what they need. Please provide for each of them and know that I care - a lot."

Your patio is so inviting - rustic and charming. And the birds lined up almost look not real.

Hey, Kathy & Auntie M -- good to see you. It appears that everyone jumped on after I last posted and now I'm going through a lot of "daily life." So nice. At first I was sorry to see the trip taking a break ... but it was the right thing to do. We are back on what is really happening on a daily basis. And, after all, WE are the most interesting women on the planet!

Ginny! You are back in my prayers! Whatever you are suffering, know that you are surrounded by angels. And by US ... angels or not, we are prayer warriors (or warriorettes) ... and you are being lifted high.

Glenda - Glorious Gypsy ... I'll be talking to you soon. I don't know how I can get a photo into an e-mail ... but can't get it to post here. Oh, well. When life gives you lemons - make lemon bars. By the way, who was it that said - A weed is just a plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered?

My day consisted of starting this message. Then I went and had my nails done. Haven't done that in quite a while and it got me out of the house. Then I meandered over to a neat bookstore in Mountain View and got a few goodies (cards, paper, a book, etc.). This bookstore has a little cafe/loft and so I hauled myself up those steep steps and had a chicken salad sandwich. After that I stopped at RiteAid and got a few things, Elmer's Glue (for a decoupage project), another notebook (which I didn't need - but it was 1/2 price), and then home. So, an hour at the manicurist and two doing the other stuff - and I was SO tired I thought I was going to fall asleep in the car in the garage. But, I hauled myself out, threw in a load of laundry and trudged upstairs to collapse on the bed - for two more hours. I just got up - am still tired though. Now, instead of doing something that would actually probably benefit me (like taking my tush out for a brisk walk) I just had to hop on here and say 'hey' to everybody.

By the way, where's Penny? I'm guessing she's working now and doesn't have the time to visit. If you are out there, Penny, just give us an "i'm fine" nod.

Anybody heard from Dianne?

Sister #3284 - on her Tippie Toes - oxox, Darlys

Chocolate Kisses ...

That is the best ... to laugh with someone because you both think the same things are funny.
Go to Top of Page

meow
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

24 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2012 :  6:18:58 PM  Show Profile
Hi all, I turned 61 this past April 7th,on April 14th I was blessed with the birth of Grand-babies 5 + 6 . Yes, twins Nolan and Clair . Certainly a joy of growing older, watching the next generation flourish.

Peace for now.
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2012 :  6:48:01 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations on the new grandbabies!!!!! How wonderful to have twins!!!!! And cute names.
Holly, no, I do not sail. I do go down to the beach and swim once in awhile, but we do not boat. We do fish at the piers when it is not too windy.
Karen, I knit and crochet, do some embroidery, sew, craft, cook, bake, garden. Most of my knitting and crochet I make up my own patterns. I just grab some yarn and go to town and do whatever I think would look good with that particular yarn.
I have not gone on pinterest yet either. I do not have time to sit on the computer for hours, which I know that would be what I would do.
I hope to catch up with the rest of you tomorrow. I am getting tired.

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2012 :  7:19:11 PM  Show Profile
Good evening. I just got in the house about 30 minutes ago. I took a quick 5 minute shower. Grabbed a bowl of beans that I had cooking on the stove, a glass of tea and sat my "tush" down at the computer. Though I probably should have walked with Darlys. Today is probably the best I have felt in over 2 months. It was a wonderful day. We had lunch at the church salad luncheon. I helped mom get her garden all planted. I came home and cleaned out the quail coops. I took the doors off of one of the cabinets and cleaned it. Then I put a coat of Kilz on it. Tomorrow I will paint it. I am exhausted. I still have to move the new baby quail out to the brooder, before I go to bed. Off I go, to take care of the quail and then relax a bit.

Patty #1840

http://ladygonegreen.blogspot.com/

A rind is a terrible thing to waste. Compost.

When they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, “Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted.”
-Jesus in John 6:12 NIV Bible
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2012 :  8:06:06 PM  Show Profile
Debra E is also MIA. I have been wondering how her husband is doing. My computer is giving me lots of trouble so I'm thinking it is ready to crash again, this will be the third time, it is 4 years old but man I hate to get a new one. I don't know how long these things are supposed to last but I have been putting the hours on it, not feeling like doing anything else. Karen, I didn't have back surgery, Patty is the one with back problems, tho you'd never know it by all the stuff she does. I had what I now know is called a (get this!) Paraesophageal Hernia. As opposed to a regular Hiatial Hernia--of course I have to be different. My stomach had traveled up and out through the tear in the esophagus and was up in the lung cavity and had attached itself and was growing into the lungs. So it was a bit complicated and the recovery is a bit more than normal. I had a good day today, though, did not need a nap or much of a rest, so I did quite a bit of laundry and cleaning.
I used to knit but I would have to relearn how to do it now. I think crochet is so much easier and faster, but the work isn't as fine.
So, Meow, I am wondering what your real name is and how you got the name of Meow. there must be a good story there?
Yeah, Darlys, you should try to get one of those sweet pics of little Nevaeh on here for the sisters to see. I also can get pics to upload other programs/places when they won't here. you probably noticed I didn't get back to the blog today. Also I thought it was Tuesday all day until someone told me tonight it was Wednesday............no I am not on anything.....and I can no longer use the anesthesia fog as an excuse...can I?
Patty, I'm glad Jake got through the surgery and is doing okay. keep us posted on how he does.
Nancy I was going to call you today but I talked myself out of if so I guess you are going to have to call me when you have some free time. good nite, all.

P.S. I am working on a mental picture of Darlys "hauling" herself up steep stairs in order to eat some food. Was it worth it, and how was it coming down? You need to finish these stories.
Glenda #3534

Edited by - doll58maker on Apr 25 2012 8:15:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2012 :  03:46:15 AM  Show Profile
So nice to catch up with you all. You sure have been busy.

Glenda, so glad to hear you are recovering although not at the rate you would desire ... patience is tough to come by!

Darlys, if you can get photos in an email, you are lightyears ahead of me!

Patty, your energy continues to amaze me. Sorry to hear you new meds are slowing you down. Glad to know it will only be temporary.

Holly, your photos look pretty darn good to me. Love to hear your updates about the kids, but I completely respect your restraint about the amount you share about them on this open forum. I think you are acting in their best interest by being brief. I admire the thought you put into your activites. You live with a great purpose and seem to always be serving others. You give me an example towards which I can aspire.

Bunny, how is school going? You must be getting close to the end?

I, too, miss hearing from Ginny.

And, Penny must be exhausted from her new job. It will probably be just a bit before she gets used to her new schedule. (I hope.)

I have had a rough patch healthwise. It has been nice to be able to check in with you all. But, I wasn't able to keep up with posting. I think I am back on my feet now and hope to be a regular poster again. I don't see recent postings from Kathryn. We have similar health challenges with our backs. I sure hope she is OK.

Marianne
Go to Top of Page

Marylyn
True Blue Farmgirl

316 Posts

Marylyn
Ellsinore MO
USA
316 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2012 :  04:51:57 AM  Show Profile
Good morning, Sisters!! Another beautiful day in the Ozarks...temps in the sixties already and headed toward 80! But, alas, I am back to work today...this week is three twelve hour days and four hours Sunday morning...but I will be taking y'all with me and when it is calm I will check in! I know that I am new here and that I don't have everyone's names down in my mind yet; however, please, know that I care about each of your hurts, sorrows, and heartaches. I read the posts and y'all address each person and their trials and joys and I wonder how do they remember whose who? Then I remind myself that time builds friendships.....and I am getting better...I just can't keep it straight in my head yet! Just know that I do care and that I read every post.

With that said, I have to get ready for work.....

Love and Light,

Auntie M
Farmgirl # 4062
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2012 :  06:13:53 AM  Show Profile
I tried to post a picture of the journal I sent Holly. Maybe this time it will work.
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2012 :  06:21:14 AM  Show Profile
Here are the inside cover pages:

I have to rush this morning. I slept late and doggie, Snuggles, is waiting for the walk.

Hugs,

Nancy
Go to Top of Page

beachymom
True Blue Farmgirl

467 Posts

Kathy
Manchester Tennessee
USA
467 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2012 :  06:28:49 AM  Show Profile
Hey sisters. I'm just checking in. I have a very busy day planned. As soon as daughter hauls herself down here and has breakfast, we're off to Good Will. They're having a half price sale on most of their spring like clothes. Can you believe even they are a season ahead?

I've been cleaning up my garden as much as I can. Darn rain - no we really do need it - but it really does leave my garden in such a mess. Only really because I haven't quite gotten all the pieces in place. I am using 4X4s to edge my veggie spaces this year. I will also be using some old, but still usable 1 foot square plastic pots to plant salad stuff in. My garden is on a slope, so I need to put those pots, in the ground about 6" to keep the dirt fairly level so when it rains, all the seeds and plants and dirt don't flow to the bottom. So far, I only have the 4x4s in place and only a couple of pots in. It's not that I'm lazy, it's just that when the weather's good, I'm not feeling good enough to lug pots and dirt around, and when I feel great, it's raining. Hubby says I should just put on my wellies and rain hat and go play in the muck. I'm about to do that. I thought it wasn't supposed to rain here until later this afternoon, but I get up to pouring rain. Darn, darn and darn!!

Only good thing about today's rain is that it is warm enough to leave back door open and I can hear all the little finch babies that live in my huge climbing flowering plant (having a senior moment here-can't remember what it's called) that almost surrounds one side of my patio, Their high pitch whistling and peeping is just so cute. I love listening to them. When I'm out on the patio, all the mama finches sit in the tree and scream at me to leave. I think that's cute too. Silly birds. Last year, I had a nest in one of my hanging petunia plants. Right at the front door. I had to water that plant so sparsely I thought it would die. Fortunately, as soon as the babies flew away, I cleaned out the plant really well and gave it a big dose of water and put a rubber duckie in it to keep other birds from making a nest there too. This year, I'm using pinwheels to keep the birds out of my baskets.

Anyway, I'm glad everybody is up and about. And I'm glad to see some of my missing sisters. I have found others on different forums, so not lost, just moved.

Happy Thursday everybody.

Thelma - Your fabric is on the way today. I'm hitting post office right after Good Will.

Hugs and Squishies!!

Kathy

Farmgirl Sister #3983

Take care of the land and it will take care of you.
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2012 :  08:53:49 AM  Show Profile
Good morning everyone. Well I got my straw bales situated yesterday. I'm kinda excited for a garden this year. I wish I had found out about using straw bales years ago and glad my Mom is willing to give it a go.
The weather is screwy here as well as every where else. I prefer drizzyly the most. I hate the heat. (sorry Glenda I won't be moving to Texas anytime soon). ;)

I'm in the middle of this school year. I still have 6 weeks to go. Then at least one more year to finish.

Not much else going on. Darlys you make me homesick. But I will get back there some day I know. My son hopes to buy property up there (Twain Harte) and I'll have a place to stay again.

Glenda, glad you are healing but please don't feel bad about taking it slow. I think our bodies can take up to a year to get back to normal. Sounds like you need a nice buff house boy to help you out. Any hunks you can get to visit once in a while...;0. ....you know just to help out..wink wink

Nancy I love the journal you made. How cool are those pictures? Glad we don't have bathing suits like that any more. I may have to take to skinny dipping again.....scary!

Well time for homework this morning. I played a little yesterday. Sorry not to comment on everyone. I'm getting overwhelmed with all our new farmgirls. I need to use my sticky notes!

Prayers for everyone having hard times and health stuff. Enjoy the crazy weather. We will be complaining about the heat before long.

Farmgirl number 3738

My blog: www.bunnyrose.com
My shop: www.bunnyroseco.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2012 :  09:29:38 AM  Show Profile
Well, it was 33 when I got up this morning, and so windy, I can't get out. Afraid it will blow me away. At 10, I looked out and it was snowing!!!!!! It is 12:30 and only 35 degrees with the strong winds, makes it feel like 25. I am so ready for some warm weather!!!

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2012 :  09:56:45 AM  Show Profile
Good morning girlfriends. I worked on my computer some and it is acting a little better today so maybe it isn't going to quit on me quite yet.
Thelma, hope you are having a good day and check in today. I love your posts.
Kathy, I have never heard of helicopter seeds but that sounds like a real challenge. and I sure hope you do post pics of your garden, I really love seeing what everyone is doing as well as hearing about it. I went out for a walk this morning and took my Canon, but there was too much of a breeze for good flower pics, so I took pics of the cows, a couple of old tractors, and some rock formations on my place. I will see later today if there is time, how they came out. I found HP Photosmart on my computer last night when I was trying to clean out some old stuff I don't use, but it is an old version and I could not get it to download updates or work for me. will keep trying.
Marylyn, don't worry about keeping us straight--it comes with time. I still have to go back to see who said what.
Ginny, prayers for you--I hope whatever it is will be shortlived and you will be back with us full steam ahead.
Marianne, I am so glad to see you posting again. Sorry to learn you have not been well. Hope that's over and you will feel great now.
Nancy, you are so talented and creative. The journal is a beauty. And those bathing suits look about right for me at this age, the less showing, the better. I have yet to do anything for Holly FGOTM except think about it, but hopefully will come up with something. I run at least a month behind on everything, it seems.
Bunny, did you tell about the strawbales somewhere and I missed it? I would be very interested in how that works. And if you have a pool boy hidden away that you want to loan out, for goodness' sake put him in a priority box and mail him asap. I need someone to pick up the heavy stuff and move it, and vaccuum my floors.........hahaha is my age showing, or what! Well, he could peel me a grape or two while he's here, I guess......
Ok I have procrastinated half the day away, so here goes - will try to get up off this couch for a while and get some work done around here.
Janet--snow??? I think we hit 90 here yesterday. Come on down for a visit.
Glenda #3534

Edited by - doll58maker on Apr 26 2012 10:00:36 AM
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2012 :  10:59:36 AM  Show Profile
Glanda, I would love to come down for a visit. The furnace keeps kicking on. In two years my hubby will be retiring and we plan on getting a motorhome and travel all over the country and live in the motorhome. We certainly will go where it is warm and follow the heat.

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2012 :  11:11:32 AM  Show Profile
Nice catching up on everyone's posts again. I miss a day and I feel like I'm a week behind. It has been beautiful here this week. I have spent several hours digging Hostas and replanting them. It is still two early yet to do much gardening. It is supposed to rain tonight and tomorrow so then will practice my homemaking skills again.

someone asked about my basement flooring. I have decided to stain the concreate, seal it, and then add large area rugs. The basement is quite large so this will be the most cost efficient. I will not get at this until after the garden is planted and I have weeded all of my flower beds. Glenda, I have a little sign that reads "Free weeds - you do the pullin" giggle I also need to stain my large front deck in the next couple of weeks,but may have to hire it done.

I'm headed back outside after I find something healthy for hubby and I to eat. We will be having salmon, asparagus, and boiled potatoes for dinner Which will eat up a lot of my Weight Watchers points so need to select wisely for lunch. I'll try to jump back on later and comment on more comments I just read. taa taa chickie poos

Edited by - Thelma on Apr 26 2012 11:14:46 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 218 **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Farmgirls over age 50 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page