beachymom
True Blue Farmgirl

467 Posts

Kathy
Manchester Tennessee
USA
467 Posts

Posted - May 10 2012 :  2:12:33 PM  Show Profile
Thelma - you should still have my address and yes, Jenny would love to have a 'real mail' pal. She doesn't do email very much. Her hand writing is sloppy & she misspells a lot, but if that's ok, then that's ok. Thanks for asking. She really does love getting mail.

We planted 5 butternut squash plants this afternoon - they were growing right out of the greenhouse - and since Jenny just 'hates' gardening, she's in the front room being grumpy.

Well, gotta go fix dinner.

Later sisters.

Hugs and Squishies!!

Kathy

Farmgirl Sister #3983

Take care of the land and it will take care of you.
Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - May 10 2012 :  2:18:01 PM  Show Profile
Ok it's me. I want to tell you that besides the usual lessons children are asked to learn I taught some special things to my students. Keep in mind that I had them for 3 to 4 years (grades 5 through 8) so was able to work on on - going projects. I wanted my kids to have experiences that I know would probably never happen with out me. We studied manners and had tea parties with fancy sandwiches and real china tea cups and pots. How many kids do you know who can tell you the difference between afternoon tea and high tea? Every one of my students left me with a bed sized quilt they had made. Yes, even the boys. This project reinforced their math skills, eye-hand cordnitation skills, social skills, things like that. I taught a group of girls to embroidery, after they learned to thread a needle, stitch simple seams, and sew on buttons. When we read Little House On the Prairie we made chicken noodle soup with dumplings. I could go on and on but you get the picture. special needs kids are so special to me. I never bought into the idea that they could not learn. They not only can learn they can teach all of us a lot of lessons too! Now taa taa for real

Edited by - Thelma on May 10 2012 2:22:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - May 10 2012 :  2:23:51 PM  Show Profile
Jenny, I will write to you very soon!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - May 10 2012 :  3:49:50 PM  Show Profile
Holly, such imagination you have to make all your dolls have such personality and individuality! Those are the whitest feathers I have ever seen! Just love em. I sure don't blame you for having a vested interest in keeping your teeth. It sounds like you have put in some effort in having a healthy mouth! I have never had a Jerusalem artichoke. I love the regular artichokes, but I don't even know how to fix the Jerusalem kind!

Patty, good luck on your stress test when you get it. You sure stay busy! Your cabinets must be so well stocked. You should be so proud of all your work. I can understand that liquor would good for bartering with in the event of an "event." Fingers-crossed that your colds are short-lived.

Glenda, it is so nice to hear from you. So glad to know you are continuing to improve! The play sounds like it was a lovely evening out. My mom used to always say the same thing about drunk people in car crashes! I am with you about the benefits of a floor that can be swept rather than carpeting. Loved the poster. I majored in Architecture and one instructor would encourage us to design without parameters and the next would make us have a plan on how to build "such a thing." It was very confusing. Later in life when my children were young, I drew all the posters for the games for the school carnivals and their birthday parties. At one party, my sister was amazed at the artwork and asked me who did it. I really knew then that NO ONE in my family knew me at all.

Dianne, Congratulations on finishing up the school year! And keep us posted on the land search. Prayers headed your way. The Fiber Fair sounds like some place I would love to spend some time. I just can't keep my hands off all the dyed yarns, etc. I just squeeze and squeeze! It is a shame that your son wasn't challenged to his ability. It must be difficult to not be bitter. I admire all you moms who have faced such adversity and shown such strength. I am happy to know you all.

My gosh, Ginny, It sure sounds like you took one heck of a tumble! Sore hands - and a possible fracture - doesn't sound like fun. The scrape sounds HUGE. Hope you heal quickly. How in the world are you going to pack with sore hands? Extra prayers for that, too.

Kathy, Glad your garden is in good shape. Lucky you to find an MJF group to join!! I am a bit jealous, too. Please share what you can when you all get together. Thanks for sharing your daughter's story. She really didn't get what she deserved from the schools. You have every right to feel angry about this. I know that at the same time you enjoy your time with her. She sounds like a fascinating person who finds many subjects interesting. My heart goes out to you for having to realign your dreams for your little girl. I hope your Mother's Day is great.

Penny, So you are doing great at your new job! How nice to have Mother's Day off to enjoy with your son. It sounds like your weekend will be very special.

Marylyn, your croquet break sounds great. What did the winner earn???? Thanks for sharing about your son, it makes me feel that I know you better. How lucky are you to have three sets of twins! That is really remarkable. And to have the sexes so evenly split.

Nancy, You expressed the right brain, left brain fight I am always having so well!

Thelma, I will keep you in mind for your Mayo Clinic appt. I know it would be such a relief to have an answer and then just be able to deal with the problem. The unknown is very scary. Your views on the teachers' lounge was right in line with my experiences. The good teachers can really get lost when so many poor ones get our ire up!

Looks like I kind of caught up. I have been gardening a bit. It feels so good to be outside. But, it does wear me out pretty good. I am still so interested to see if Kathryn is still painfree with her laser treatments. I have no idea what the cost of something like that is, but it sounds like a dream come true. Kathryn and I have very similar health issues. So, if she is having so much relief from this...it sure looks interesting to me!
Dh gets home tomorrow from Chicago. He will be exhausted from late nights and long flights. Oh and the time change. But, by Mother's Day he should be in good shape. We usually garden on that day because it is usually right when our weather turns and it is always what I want to do. Especially with an indentured servant for "my special day." My daughter is hinting that she "did good" this mother's day. She has never disappointed me. Each year since she was about 13 she has written me a poem that makes me think I am the most appreciated mother on earth.Now last year, dh didn't get me anything. No card - I know I am not his mom - but, I still want some attention. Am I silly? I always get him a card and a gift. And you know I have always taken care of getting his mother's cards, gifts.

Hope I can keep up a bit better ...
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - May 10 2012 :  3:57:52 PM  Show Profile

Here's a photo of some of my tulips.
marianne
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - May 10 2012 :  4:00:39 PM  Show Profile

And a few more tulips ...
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - May 10 2012 :  4:41:04 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

A friend of mine told me that eating a banana a day keeps away the leg cramps. It is the potassium that it adds to a body to prevent the cramps. Maybe it will work for Patty's mother. How do you attach cards and things to a screen? common pins?

Kathy- I am sorry that Jenny was hurt when she was young. I am glad that she is a survivor. I am glad she has an imagination and is creative. I am glad she has you. I am glad she is not dependant on you for everything in her life. She seems like a bright clever young woman who does not fit in the box.

I decided to homeschool my two oldest boys when they finished eighth grade because one of the teachers said well he takes out his pencil and opens his notebook at the same time everyone else does. My other son I was told he could not be disciplined because he might escalate to violence. The third reason was the special ed coordinator for the school district told me all children needed to learn to be called names sometime in life. I told them not nigger and not retard and not in a learning environment. I was also spending more time at school fixing the problems than I was not at school. Off my tirade now. It happened when they were 14 or so and they are 32 now.

Marianne- WOW architecture. I am so jealous. I would like to be able to design living spaces. I have taken a class called designing your dream home. It was fun but too narrow. Now, I would like to design and build a stone house. Just another project. LOL Learning as I go.

I like your rocks and flowers. I like looking out the window after the grayness of winter and then to see the brightness of spring flowers is so refreshing.

Today I spent the day being a chauffeur for my children. I am glad it is over.

I am glad to sit and visit with all of you tonight.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - May 10 2012 :  6:56:27 PM  Show Profile
Well gals, I am not too far from bed. Just waiting for my 4 hours to be up so I can take some Nyquil. I made a short list today and managed to get everything done but vacuuming the living room floor. First thing tomorrow...then make another list. Moved chickies to brooder. Have chicks and quail hatching. Ducks will go into the hatcher on Monday. I am going to run out of brooder space. I but a pretty nasty cut on my finger butchering quail yesterday. It is right on a joint, so not sure they would have stitched it. But I have it wrapped up pretty good and tight. Funny, I just posted on my blog about how wonderful my Rada knives were. The are easily sharpened. :) My kids threaten to take the sharpener away not the knives.
My daughter and I were on the phone discussing my trip to California to help her drive back to Illinois. Her 3 yr old went upstairs and got dressed so she could leave NOW... I can hardly wait to see them.
I had a long conversation on "Facetime" with my son John. He played his guitar for me. Modern technology is so wonderful.

Nancy- What badge is that book required for? I have a couple of books required for badges. One is the blogging book. If anyone is interested I would be glad to send it your way.

Glenda- I worked in Special Ed years ago. When they started to bus our kids out and our census went down I landed a job at a State Hospital. There was a dual diagnosis and a psychiatric unit. I worked with psychiactric and later went to the community to manage 2 apartment complexes of psychiatric adults. I took them on a vacation to Branson Mo one year. I wrote letters and managed to get discounts on rooms and free or discounted shows and parks. It was not an uneventful trip. lol.. One of the girls got mad at me and pulled my hair while I was driving down the road. I did have other staff with me. But I had my share of black eyes and other injuries through the years. But I loved it, and it was very rewarding.

Kathy- What a sad but wonderful story you have shared with us. What a blessing Jenny has become. May God bless your family and your beautiful daughter.

Marylyn- Congrats on all the babies! Another reason the love this time of year!

Marianne- What beautiful flower beds! I wished I had the knack for designing beautiful flower beds. My flowers just simply run along the house or the fence.

Holly- Teachers are so hurtful. And some treat the parents as if we are uneducated. John's teacher once threw an eyeglass case at him. I went into the school to raise heck over it and he said "it was a way to get his attention". Because he had his book on his lap rather than the desk as they were reading along. No good, he could have put an eye out...and teachers are not suppose to throw things. The next day the teacher told the class that "John's mom puts the fear in any teacher". Holly, I use Christmas ornament wire hangers to hang things on the screen.

Thelma- Will continue to pray for you and hopefully Mayo Clinic can help you on your way to recovery.

Well, off to find the NyQuil, Have a good night.

Butchering Quail

New Chicks

The old screens in my dining room.

Patty #1840

http://ladygonegreen.blogspot.com/

A rind is a terrible thing to waste. Compost.

When they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, “Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted.”
-Jesus in John 6:12 NIV Bible
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - May 10 2012 :  7:29:53 PM  Show Profile
I had a big long post typed and poof, it dissappeared. I do not like those kind of magic shows. I worked outside for 7 hours today getting almost all of my herbs and veggies planted. Got a little sun, but give me the sun and warm weather and I am happy as a lark!!! It was only 30 when I got up, but warmed to 55. I love it!!!
I am so tired right now, so will catch up tomorrow, hopefully. I have read all your great posts and want you to know that I am thinking of all of you and praying for the ones that need it. More tomorrow,

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Country Dreamer
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

Karen
Lake Villa Illinois
USA
14 Posts

Posted - May 10 2012 :  7:56:50 PM  Show Profile
So much work being done by you all I am tired. I have been surrounded by technology this week and would just love to be outside with nothing electronic.

I love your flower beds Marianne..it looks like you have a variety of plants . Do you mix annuals with perennials? My 2 little beds are sad looking and need much work. Gotta get another load in the wash.

Til next time .........

Karen
Farmgirl #3975
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - May 11 2012 :  04:58:02 AM  Show Profile
Thelma I am so with you about how some of the teachers would treat the kids. I was always on the "outside" because I stood up for my students. Once I even asked a 5th grade teacher what we should do with them. I asked him if we should just "shoot" them. How sad he was as a teacher. Some of my students were very bright and others were not so bright. I hated hearing all the negative things the teachers would say. I hope that the teacher who has the special needs grandchild will finally know what it is like. My son was a learning disabled boy who did not get into special classes. He suffered a lot but as it turned out he is an attorney. Teachers would tell him to "shut up" and gave him really bad grades.

You were smart to stay out of the lounge. I spent much too much time there.
You are blessed to have such a wonderful husband. You two are such a cute couple. I can see the love in your eyes. I am glad I do most of the business end like paying bills, etc.
I am so grateful that my DH does most of the telephoning when it needs to be done. He is so much better at it than I am. I am a better bill payer and make sure everything is done on time.

Marianne, it is so sweet that your DD writes a poem for you for Mother's Day. What a treasure. That is the best gift, something from the heart. My ex never gave me one thing for Mother's Day even though I always was the one who send cards and gifts to his mother. My DH now is so sweet and caring. Last year he made an extra specail Mother's Day gift just for me. It had balloons, candy and special things all in a bright colorful bag. He told me he wanted to make me feel better because my son never sends anything. I even took a picture of the bag and ballooon. Mother's Day can be a sad day for mothers who have kids that don't care.
I hope your DH will get you something. Does he know how you feel? I hope so.

Your tulips and garden are just gorgeous. What beautiful colors. Thanks for posting the pictures. Love you, girl.

Karen, hope you get some relief from all that work. I hope you will get some"right brain" activties in your schedule. Take it easy.

Glenda I am so glad that your DD is a special ed. teacher. She sounds like a wonderful teacher and has the patience and empathy to teach the kids. They can be so much fun and have wonderful spirits even if they are difficult at times. I was never hurt except for some stepped on toes but then the kids I taught were learning disabled and not too severely challeged. I love their out of the box thinking so we always had fun projects going. I had two wonderful principals who understood children. One principal was the best I had ever know. He was so kind and gentle with kids. I was lucky to be at his school.

Kathy you are blessed with a wonderful daughter. Jenny sounds like she brings so much joy into your life. I am sorry to hear that the school system was so narrow-minded. I get so irritatied just thinking about how many perfectily wonderful children get harmed by the "professionals." I mean, who knows your child better that you. I am glad to hear that Jenny likes living with you rather than be on her own. Send me your address in an email and I too will write to her. Maybe she can share some pictures of the bird houses and other things she likes to make.

The clock just chimed that it is 8 am so I am going to go do my exercise for the day. Oh, heck, maybe I will put in some laundry first and have my breakfast.

It is a sunshiny day so far but rain is expected this afternoon.

Love and pray for those hurting. Happy Mother's Day.

Hugs and squeezies,

Nancy

Make everyday a celebration of the heart.
Go to Top of Page

beachymom
True Blue Farmgirl

467 Posts

Kathy
Manchester Tennessee
USA
467 Posts

Posted - May 11 2012 :  06:01:13 AM  Show Profile
Just a quick Good Morning to you all. Supposed to be beautiful in Maryland today. Hope you all have a wonderful Friday!

Holly - nobody should have to get used to being called names - no matter what. Not even in jest. I so hate the school system accepts name calling, yet puts the "Bully" label on physical confrontations only. Words do hurt...as much now as they did when we went to school.

Marianne - your flowers are beautiful. They are arranged so nicely. You are a garden artist!

Well, that's all the time I have this morning. My prayers are with all if you.

Later sisters.

Hugs and Squishies!!

Kathy

Farmgirl Sister #3983

Go to Top of Page

Cooknnana
True Blue Farmgirl

213 Posts

Kathryn
Chandler OK
USA
213 Posts

Posted - May 11 2012 :  07:08:16 AM  Show Profile
Hello all my Girl Friends! What A week! This past weekend was the big festival, which was fun, but hot, hot, hot. I had my 2 year old GD with me the whole weekend and she came down with a stomach bug, so I did not get much sleep. By Monday afternoon I was feeling it and by Tuesday it was in full force. I couldn't even go in to the office on Wednesday. Still some residual effects, but improving; playing catch up now.

The Doc's birthday is tomorrow and so I need to make another "cupcake" that he's been hinting about for a couple of weeks. Lol Men, they are such little kids, sometimes…

Glenda, love the left/right brain post. I am still, predominantly in the left brain, but the right has been screaming for years to have its time, but so far, it only gets freedom on occasion. I so want to have the day come when I can release it from its tight bonds and let run wild and free!

My daughter, Kathy, did not have an accident (how horrible for you both), but she did have problems that were overlooked by un-observant "professionals" for so many years. They kept telling me that she is so quiet in class that they sometimes forget she is even there. I kept telling them there was a problem and her "quietness" was a indication of said problem. The school told me I would have to take her to the doctor to get her tested for anything, so I took her to the doctor. The doctor told me that they don't test kids that the school was supposed to that, so I went back to the school. The school put together "assessment teams" to evaluate, but they found nothing out the ordinary. I told them they were missing it entirely then. Finally, when she was a sophomore in high school, her I convinced her counselor to have her tested. The testing came back as borderline dyslexic with a cognitive disorder and she was put in special ed classes. That year and the next she had a teacher (a different one in each year) that regularly ridiculed her; not just her, but all the kids in the class. Once again I went to battle with the school; they just couldn't believe such a thing was happening. Luckily her advocate came out on our side, of course nothing happened to the teachers, but that helped Dana anyway to have him on her side. Now She already had a low self esteem from her father telling her, all her life, how incredibly stupid she was, then, in her mind. The testing proved it. Then to have teachers confirm it even more, was devastating. She attended less and less until finally she was so far behind she would have to take extra classes at an adult education center for 2 extra years, above and beyond her schedule graduation time, in order to complete. Her counselor advised her to give it up and drop out. She told Dana she could get her G.E.D at a later time, but she was wasting everybody's time, including her own, so…she dropped out and has yet to get her G.E.D. She was 30 in February. *Heavy sigh*

Well, gotta go. Raining and thunderstorms are expected all day and into tomorrow. I have the 2 older GD's tonight and baking to do, plus a very busy day at the office.

Have a great day all, and a wonderful weekend. Love ya!

Squashes and Hugs!

Kathryn

If there is a will, there's a way; find your way!

Sister #3282
Go to Top of Page

DEW
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

Dianne
Weiser Idaho
USA
317 Posts

Posted - May 11 2012 :  08:47:41 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning All

It is sunny and beautiful here today. I think pring may have arrived. WooHoo!!!

Thelma in defense of teachers. It is not always the teachers but the the School Board and Administration. They are required to get teachers to work for as little as possible and make sure that a certain % of students meet requirements, or no federal funding. Teachers are forced to teach to a test instead of teach. when your job demands a certain % of students pass to keep your job, it is hard to take the time with a student that has special needs. I am not saying it is right. It is most definatly not right. That is how it is here anyway. We are working to change it, but it is slow.

Marianne The only thing that really suffered was his reading ability. Thats why they wanted him in special classes. The funny thing is that he loves roll play video games. He has to read alot on those. His reading has imroved more since he got out of school than it ever did in school. Whod of thought video games could improve reading.
Love the tulip pics

Holly I am sorry your children had to face things like that in a school environment. You are right name calling does not belong in the school. We are suppose to teach children to be the best they can be. Not put others down to make themselves look better. I am glad you chose home school for them. They will probably get a better education. Sad but true.

Kathryn I knew the Lord layed you on my hart for a reason. I have been praying for you.

Well I am off to Portland this weekend. We leave tonight as soon as everyone is off work. I will get some pictures to post when I get back.
Have a great weekend everyone

Dianne (ID)

Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - May 11 2012 :  3:27:09 PM  Show Profile
Left brain - right brain - I think we need to draw from both sides to be strong women.

I lost my post again. Oh well - I'm sure you are weary of my sp. ed. mentality anyway giggle

I felt better today. Was able to finish the new flower bed I started yesterday. I put an old slop cart in the middle of it. I will get some annuals for inside the cart's container. I saved money by using an old blue tub and ground plants from existing flower beds so will treat myself to some thing pretty. This is my transition year. Need to dig up a lot of plants and then share them with others. I will then replant the same varities back in the existing beds. did ya get that - giggle

a car just drove into the yard so I better go say hello (or maybe good by/get lost) giggle Taa taa until later this evening my chickie poos

Edited by - Thelma on May 11 2012 3:29:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - May 12 2012 :  05:35:03 AM  Show Profile
Thelma you are correct. Using both sides of the brain is important. Women need to know the goings on of the financial side of their marriage. I have always paid the bills, not because I raally wanted to but because I wanted them paid on time and I wanted to know what is going on. I thank God I did, as my ex tried to cheat me out of money when we divorced. It didn't work.

Nancy

Make everyday a celebration of the heart.
Go to Top of Page

beachymom
True Blue Farmgirl

467 Posts

Kathy
Manchester Tennessee
USA
467 Posts

Posted - May 12 2012 :  06:40:16 AM  Show Profile
Wow! I am so excited! My MaryJanes books came yesterday. I ordered the Mother's Day special, so I got both of the books available. Still waiting for the Outpost to be out again. I can't wait to get into them. I started reading the ".......Lifebook" last night & just had to stop at 10 to go to bed or I'd get no sleep at all. After some work around house & garden tomorrow, I'll read some more.

Supposed to be a beautiful day here today & tomorrow - up in the 80s!! Then rain all next week. But that's ok - since I'll be on vacation most of next week. We're leaving Wednesday morning for a week in Vegas with my son and dil & grand daughters. I'm excited about that too. Middle daughter will be taking care of house & garden, but she won't have much to do with all that rain.

Anyway, you all are in my prayers, every one of you....some by name, others by 'sisters', but you're always there.

Later sisters.

Hugs and Squishies!!

Kathy

Farmgirl Sister #3983

Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - May 12 2012 :  07:22:04 AM  Show Profile
Kathy, You are going to love Mary Jane's books. I got mine about 9 months ago. I keep them in my "Mary Jane basket" with her magazines and printouts of the badges I am working on. I think I have the books memorized, but then I reread them and find something fun I have missed. ENJOY!

The plants I transplanted yesterday are standing straight and tall this morning. I am going to give them a little shot of water before I leave as I want them well established. Dealing with roots can sometimes be a little tricky.

today I am going on a wildflower walk with the conservation people. I have always been interested in native plants so I am excited about this. I think I can even earn a badge for doing this.

This evening I will attend two high school graduation parties. Graduation is next week in our district. Is it time for school to be out already? I quess Memorial Day is right around the corner.

Someone posted the other day that they were making a tin can yard person. How is the project going? I have my cans ready to go, as I have been saving them all winter, but inspiration has not entered my right brain yet giggle

Well chickie poos, have a great weekend. Enjoy your yards and gardens, animals, homes, famlies, and whatever trips your trigger. Happy Mother's Day to all who are moms. Taa taa be good!

Edited by - Thelma on May 12 2012 07:29:34 AM
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - May 12 2012 :  2:05:41 PM  Show Profile
Good afternoon,

I took Talie to basketball practice and then a dance last night. He had a good time. The only problem was that the school is 25 minutes brim the house so It cut into my online time.

My fourth son Leo had a great time in school. He is non verbal but signs some. He is a healer. He makes people feel good. He can tell if a person feels bad and wants to feel good and he will help them. He can tell if a person feels bad and does not want to feel good he will not go near them. When he was in school he would walk into the classroom of the at risk angry students and the anger would dispel in moments. Leo does his thing. He volunteers now at a nursing home a couple of days a week and the people there love him. He makes them feel good. He can fix migraines and back aches. he is a wonder. He attended school the whole way through from first grade when he came to live with us through graduation. We figured the school could not hurt him. His teachers were great.. Some of them had mind alterring experiences learning from him because energy work was an entirely new concept for any of them. He went to dowsers conferences and attended the classes. One I remember was finding water while looking at the map.. The instructor was explaining how to do it and Leo looked at the map and pointed out the right location.
He was born at 27 weeks gestation at 1 pound five ounces 28 years ago. We are sure that if he had been born ten years or even five years later he would be verbal because the technology was that much better. He came to live with us at 7 1/2 years old. the paper work was not encouraging but he had a spark in his eyes that there was someone worthwhile inside.

On Thursday, I went down to milk the cow. sometimes she is laying in her stall with her calf and sometimes standing. She usually stands up when I come down the aisle. She didn't and I thought that is odd. The back door to the barn was open which would not have been unusual because the night was warm I am standing in the door of the barn looking out across the field and I see a black and white cow way off in the corner of the field. I think how did Coco get out there? I look and the door to her stall is latched. Well, then it dawns on me that Kethry did not put them in the night before. Sometimes I can be slow thinking. So, I call her and lucky for me she trots herself in and so does her 15 month old son and her four month old daughter. I had to chase Ferdinand out of the stall and shut him outside the barn. Coco would not stand to milk because she could not see him. She stepped on my toes in my garden boots and would not get off. So, I chased him into his stall and turned her to face him and was so relieved when she stood to milk.
I told Kethry when I went up to the house the story and she was chagrinned and apologized for forgetting. i told her I thought it was pretty funny that it took me so long to figure out who was standing in the field.
Coco also came into heat yesterday and Kethry being the only one home when the AI man came chose the sperm from the picture book of bulls. She chose an angus because she liked his brown color. Looking at the characteristics of his offspring she did very well. Gentle was the one that was most important.

Kethry, Talie and Jarrett are off shopping for Mother's Day. It is the first time they have gone off together to honor this holiday. Jarrett drove. It will be very interesting to see what arrives home. Kethry and jarrett are very fashion conscience and are appalled on a regular basis that their mothers are not.

The sun is shining and the temperatures feel like they are in the sixties. There is a good stiff breeze to keep away the black flies.

We are having cheese and broccoli crepes for supper. they are one of my favorite meals.

Have a good weekend.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - May 12 2012 :  3:12:29 PM  Show Profile
Kathy, A trip to Vegas sounds like a lot of fun. Take an extra suitcase so you can shop at the designer outlets. Everyone just walks around the shops dragging these huge rolling suitcases. Well, now it is like the suitcase "walks" next to you. It is a fun place, hope you all enjoy.

Thelma, my transplants looked pretty happy today, too. Your area is a bit ahead of ours with graduation. It sure does sneak up on ya! Exciting time for the young people. Scary, too. Your nature walk sounds great. I would love to be able to identify the native plants in our area.

Holly, thanks for sharing another charming story, "who is out standing in the field?" and also the inspiring reality of Leo. It would be so nice to pop in and out of each others lives to meet these important people. I hope I do the special people in my life justice. You honor your loved ones beautifully in your writing. I hope you and Cheri have a wonderful Mother's Day. I know your gifts will be wonderful. It will be fun for you to hear of the negotiation process that occurs when siblings shop together!

Nancy, I sure agree with your point that we all need to use both sides of our brains. I wonder if the person who is perfectly balanced between the right and left brains is perfect or perfectly boring.

I spent a few hours outside cleaning flower beds (still!) A porcupine help himself to some of the buds off my pear tree. Bugger! I hate porkies because they do so much damage to the forest here. They eat the bark off the pines and when they girdle (completely remove the bark all the way around the trunk) the tree has no protection and dies. We have killed a few that have been in our yard right up close to the house because of the dogs. We have pulled quills out of our mare's back leg twice. She is too curious for her own good. But, I know of neighbors who have had quills in the horse's nose and another who lost their dog because a quill in the dog's mouth was missed by the vet. Seems easy. But the quill worked its way through the roof of the dog's mouth and a few days later it just dropped dead when the quill entered its brain. Eek! So, not my favorite wildlife. Plus, they aren't the most industrious of animals. I mean they just take over other animal's homes rather than build their own. I just can't admire that in vermin. But, if they stay out of our animals' areas, they are free to be porkies. The Indians here ( Spokane Tribe) use the quills in their headdresses. They used to come pick up the carcass when we let them know, but we lost that connection. Always felt better knowing the animal was being used. Now we take them to the canyon floor for the coyotes or whatever. They always disappear quickly. I guess that concludes my porcupine story.

Mike came in after working on the tractor this morning and said it had wanted to get "that" all done so we didn't "have to" garden on Mother's Day. He KNOWS that all I ever want to do is garden on Mother's Day. Because he always feels obligated to help me and I always appreciate the help!!!!

He ran into town to rent a movie - some horrible vampire thing that I will read through - and I think pick up a little goodie for me for Mother's Day. I may have said I was looking forward to reading his card...

I wish everyone a wonderful Mother's Day. I have always celebrated the women in my life on this day. some of my friends who have gotten little tokens from my kids when they were younger were surprised to be on the receiving end on Mother's Day. But, in the spirit of "it takes a village" I love to express my gratitude to all the women who are positive role models for us all. And you all fall into that category!! Thank you for being inspirational gals and great fun!

Marianne
Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - May 12 2012 :  7:59:14 PM  Show Profile
Good evening. Day 5 of this cold and it seems to be worsening. I have spent the last 2 days sleeping all day. No energy. I have heard some people have suffered for up to two weeks. Hubby had it for over 4 days. I hope I heal quickly. I had planned on going to church with my mother tomorrow. I sure won't make it at this rate. I would love to address each of you, but I need to go lay back down. Have a wonderful Mother's Day .

Patty #1840

http://ladygonegreen.blogspot.com/

A rind is a terrible thing to waste. Compost.

When they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, “Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted.”
-Jesus in John 6:12 NIV Bible
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - May 12 2012 :  8:21:51 PM  Show Profile
Patty, So sorry to hear you are under the weather. Especially when you had such great plans for Mother's Day. Hope you still have a nice day.
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - May 12 2012 :  8:45:27 PM  Show Profile
Happy Mothers Day to all of you!!! I have been busy again today, got the rest of my herbs planted , so now I have everything in the ground except tomatoes and green peppers, which will not be for about 3 weeks yet.
Patty, Hope you get well soon. There is alot of flu going around here now. There are so many people sick.
Holly, you have such an adventurous life, and such wonderful children. I love reading about them, and all your animals.
Thelma, glad you were able to get your gardening done.
Kathy, you will love the MJF books. I have all 3 and look at them all the time also. A treasure to be had.
Dianne, Hope you have a great weekend in Portland.
Nancy, I also am the bill payer in the house. Seems most women manage money better than men.
Well, it is getting late, so am off to bed. My son is taking us out for breakfast brunch in the morning. Have a great evening,

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - May 12 2012 :  9:13:29 PM  Show Profile
Happy Mother's Day to each of you.

I have just finished reading all the posts and although I want to talk to each of you I'm going to have to put it off for a day or so. It's 9 p.m. and I'm tired. We are in Oakhurst, refrigerator was delivered ... they said between 1 and 4 and, I'll be darned if they didnt' show up at 1:10! New in - Old gone - Me happy. Ice cream!

Patty, stay down - get well. I know you want to get to church with your mother but I'm sure she will appreciate you keeping your bug to yourself. And, you can go to church with her next Sunday. I do want you - and your mother - to enjoy Mother's Day - so don't let Granny Tippie throw ice water on your plans.

Holly, as always, love reading your thoughts at the end of each day. You are a wise and wonderful woman.

I have to join the ranks of the "bill payer," too. Although I have it all set up online to autopay most everything and rarely have to bother my little left brain with it. I do monitor our bank account and charge card charges though. Just to be safe.

I'm envious of all of you with gardens full of veggies and flowers and herbs and such. I have a few flowers and my lemon tree - but nothing like what all of you are chatting about. Maybe next year ....

Dianne - Have a wonderful weekend in Portland!

DH wants me to join him on the couch for some ice cream and fresh strawberries and t.v. -- so I think that's where I'm headed. He spent almost a half hour earlier playing his new piano - and I'm so glad he is enjoying it - because I sure do enjoy his playing.

Sister #3284 - on her Tippie Toes - oxox, Darlys

Chocolate Kisses ...

That is the best ... to laugh with someone because you both think the same things are funny.
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - May 13 2012 :  03:17:08 AM  Show Profile
Darlys, Isn't it great when the delivery goes as planned? You feel like you have won the lottery to not have spent your day waiting for the truck to roll up.

It is difficult to not have everything all set up as you envision it - like your garden. But, you are in the last stages of a major transition. You are doing great with all your back and forth between houses. Talk about an exercise for the left brain - trying to keep track of where everything is!

Ice cream and strawberries sound like heaven ... especially coupled with an adoring dh. Happy Mother's Day to you, too. Hope you have plenty of piano-playing to see you through the weekend. Sounds lovely.

Marianne
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 218 **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Farmgirls over age 50 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page