beachymom
True Blue Farmgirl

467 Posts

Kathy
Manchester Tennessee
USA
467 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2012 :  07:05:30 AM  Show Profile
I got so lost in my garden for the past few days that I forgot to check in. Here I am!! When I'm in my garden I tend to loose track of time. My kids think I'm talking to my plants all the time I'm talking to God. Seems like the only time I can open my heart up to Him really, is when I either sitting or kneeling (not too often these days since knees hurt so much).

Auntie M - I miss our virtual tour too, but had to come home to take care of garden. Maybe we can start up another one in October. But I really love the idea of a real tour in 2012. Imagine meeting up somewhere in the USA for a Glamping out visit!! Wouldn't that be a hoot'n a holler!!

Glenda - your pictures were beautiful.

Patty - I hope your trip cross country isn't as eventful as mine was in 1987. We just got back from a 4 year tour in England. We came home with 4 kids, 2 dogs, and a bunch of luggage. We bought a brand new mini-van. Morocco Red, with 7 seats!! We all piled into the van, got all situated and strapped in and started the trip. 10 minutes later we had to stop because one dog pooped & the other barfed and the kids were all screaming. So much for that new car smell! We drove all the way from PA to CA like that. Stopping every 2 hours for kids & dogs to burn off some energy. Oh - did you stop in at Calico Ghost Town when you were in Barstow? We used to go there every year when we lived near Victorville, CA.

Debbie - I have 2 Jack Russells and one of them is terrified of thunder. She couldn't possible get any closer to me when it hits. I've heard of a "thunder shirt" and may actually get her one..or make her one. Looks like it may be just a snug thick t shirt...hmmm...

Bunny - You know we wish you all the good wishes in the world for your education. I wish I would have had your dedication when I was way younger to get more education. I stopped half way through my degree program. I wanted more than anything (at the time) to be a teacher - elementary school. But, I met my husband at college, got pregnant, morning sickness all day long made it impossible to study & too many days away from class. I managed to finish the term, but never went back. I regret it today, but did not regret being a stay at home mom either.

Holly - You let Ross play in the mud any time he wants. My neighbors thought I was crazy when it rained one summer day & my girls and I sat out in the rain having a tea party. It was wonderfully hilarious!! They have the best memories of walking barefooted home from school so they could squish mud between their toes and knowing I would not be angry. I was and will always be a great believer in tactile learning. Letting children touch things in one of the best ways for them to understand their surroundings. Oh, I could go on and on. By the way - Talie looked very much the professional player in your pictures.

Marianne - thanks for asking about WYSIWYG. I first thought somebody didn't spell check...but then somebody else used it & I was getting suspicious...then I say your posting & I said, "Oh, of course!"
Oh, and for your dogs, get some Plaque Buster. It's a spray you spritz on their teeth every day & their teeth look whiter, but their breath smells way better. Trust me on this. We've been using this for 2 years or more and you can really the difference when we use it and when we don't.

Thelma - a woman can never have too many purses...or so I've been told. I have a purse for traveling, a purse for yard saleing, a purse for flying, a purse for when I need extra space to take a craft project along with me.....guess I have about 10 purses, bags, handbags, fanny packs & back pack purses. My favorite is made by Bella Taylor. I think she is from PA. She makes purses of all sizes. I have two of her purses. The oldest one that I've used almost constantly, is 3 years old and only now showing signs of wear. I just bought a new one. It is just the right size, has straps that either go over my shoulder or my elbow. In side there are 6 side pockets - double stitched for strength - and the one large center space. Outside there are two pockets on one side that zip closed and one on the other side that is the whole size of the side. There are 2 smaller pockets on either end just big enough for cell phone or keys. I'm sure if you Google her name, you will find her.

Holly - On your question for kids - I would agree with you about letting them get to know outdoors, but would also like them to know how to take care of the outdoors too. Kids want to feel the sand beneath their feet and have it clean of cigarette butts, hypo needles, and broken glass. Then need to learn how to protect the environment so they can learn about it, feel it, taste it, hear it. Wouldn't it be great if every school had prayer first, 1/2 an hour every day for physical activity and 1/2 an hour of environmental learning? I believe that could 'fix' a lot of the problems today. Oh my.. Somebody take away that soap box!!

Well, it's 10 am here and Jenny says she need to go to the library, so I guess I need to go for now. We also have a bunch of flowers to get into pots.

Thank you to all of you who sent me birthday wishes. I love you all!!

Thank you very much to those of you who are now writing to Jenny. You can't imagine how much it make her happy when she gets mail. Her face just lights up when she talks about her "farm girl mail". Thanks you again. I said I love you all and I mean it.

Later sisters.

Hugs and Squishies!!

Kathy

Farmgirl Sister #3983

Take care of the land and it will take care of you.
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2012 :  11:15:50 AM  Show Profile
Good morning all ... It's actually mid-morning here. I'm having a cuppa before really getting my motor running today.

What a lovely visit with Patty! We went over to Pacific Grove for lunch - and after missing a turn or two - found ourselves in the parking lot of the restaurant I was looking for. Fandangos. Love that name. We both had Osso Bucco and then shared a Creme Brulee for dessert. And, of course, talk, talk, talk. It was raining when we went into the restaurant but had pretty much stopped by the time we left.

Then we discovered that several shops were closed on Mondays - BUT there were enough cute places open to entertain us for a bit. Patty's eyes were doing a "shutter-flutter" in the garden/gift shop we were in. She was memorizing a few items she will make herself. We had a good time in a cafe/bookstore -- it was a cafe in front and a small but spacious and light (does that make sense) bookstore in the back. We each bought a book. Patty got the cutest children's book ever! I bought one on organic soap making for my granddaughter. We stopped at another place or two before arriving at the car and heading back to Monterey.

Then I met her daughter and family. Her daughter is lovely, her son in law is handsome, and her grandchildren are all adorable! But then, what else would you expect? Patty is just as delightful and bubbly (maybe more so!) in person as she is online. And she's really cute and a heck of a lot more photogenic than me! (I will never sit in front of a window and lean sideways for a picture again! There IS a way to look both ghostly AND chunkier!)

I just got a text that the travelers made it all the way to Needles (including having a flat tire in Barstow) last night. But they are fine and on their way again.

Glenda is on her way to her daughter's today - then to Houston to spend time with her brother.

Nancy must be with her daughter Linda in Huntington Beach by now. I'm having a catch up day here today - and tomorrow I have to wrap it up (again) and get packed for four days with Larry's mom in Huntington Beach. We fly down tomorrow evening. I'll be having lunch with Nancy on Friday! It's Jackpot Week for me -- I get to meet TWO Farmgirls in the same week!

You will always be in my prayers, Thelma. What a shock to discover how much those meds cost! Is there any way Mayo could be persuaded to give you some samples to see if they work - so you don't have to gamble the big bucks without any assurance of relief? On the upside, you sure have a great husband! That's really special.

A get-together in two years? Hmmmmm. Now that is a possibility. Let's revisit that.

Holly, your question is intriguing. There are many things I'd like to gift the children - I think the first things that come to mind are Curiosity, Joyfulness, Kindness and a Spirited Sense of Wonder. I realize those are all subjective gifts - objectively I would give them all Soul Mates ... someone to actively share the world with.

BTW, the pictures of Tallie are fabulous. As is the "monster."

Debbie - glad you are getting that rain!

Kathy - so glad Jenny enjoys getting our farmgirl mail. It's fun to bring a bit of "happy" to someone sweet.

Bunny - I'm rooting for you, honey. If rah-rah, Bunny! is worth anything - you'll get that scholarship! Actually, I'm betting your hard work and perseverance will pay off. You deserve it!

Glenda, the photos are beautiful! You've got wysiwyg talent!

I guess I am a bag-lady, too. I probably have 15-20 or so. A nearby consignment store carries (beautiful, new, last-season, designer bags). But, if they meet all my criteria for "perfection" - they are usually in the $300-$500 range - and I just don't think they are worth that much. So, usually I settle for a bag that is practical, cute or lovely, and/or reasonable. I guess the money I've spent on all those over time would have gotten me a couple of the big-bucks bags. Oh, well. I got REAL practical after one of the grandkids spilled an oily salad dressing on an expensive suede handbag while celebrating something in an Italian restaurant. Couldn't get it out. Poor baby felt so bad. I told her it didn't matter - just a purse, after all.

Well, I've been rambling on and on - and now the sun is shining and it looks like we will have a glorious day.

Marianne - enjoy your garden - I do.

Glenda, love ya, lil sis.

Sister #3284 - on her Tippie Toes - oxox, Darlys

Chocolate Kisses ...

That is the best ... to laugh with someone because you both think the same things are funny.

Edited by - darlystippie on Jun 05 2012 11:24:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2012 :  12:15:55 PM  Show Profile
You guys are making me cry. I have enough money to live somewhat comfortably if we are careful. But thanks for offering to help. I'll never forget that. Marylyn that is so thoughtful. I know I can't put a price on health but if I live another 20 or 30 years and spend $500 each month - well you do the math because I don't want to know. The drug used to be expermintal because I was taking it for about a year - 7 or 8 years ago. I can't even remember anything about it, but the name. I got it for free because Mayo was studying how it could possibly help PSC patients. My dr. told me last week that the drug study was a bust and I was one of the few who did well on it.

Listen guys, I really just came on to let you know that I am doing ok. I go back to the clinic tomorrow so this will soon be resolved. I wanted to tell you that I am taking my computer in for an evaluation. I really want to post pics, and other things are out of wack as well. I don't know when i will get iit back. But I will be back on as soon as possible. I am trying a different geek squad. Sounds like these guys are more helpful and will walk their customers through questionable areas.

Enjoy your lives - dance in the rain - sing in the shower - try a new recipe - dream big - build something - plant something -read a good book - take a nap! I'll be back before you know it! taa taa chickie poos
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2012 :  1:38:48 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Page 285 and 286 as always I'm so behind...lol

Holly, I just love the pic of Ross, he is so cute in the puddle, and Talie, wow he looks so professional....you have some amazing children...they are so blessed to have you as their Mom....lucky, lucky kids. I would gift, I think to live in knowing the Lord Jesus Christ, so that they will know love and peace and know that one day I will see them again in heaven. thanks for asking this question.

Bunny, so glad you are doing well with school, I know you will be happy for a break...

Patty, so glad you and Darlys are able to meet, I would love to meet her someday too...she is such a special person to me...I love her lots.

Janet, glad to hear the garden is doing well...I sometimes forget it still gets so cold at night there...I'm so glad my DS moved back south...but he has so many friends in MI.

Marianne, I had to google the abbreviations...lol...I was lost too...I don't think you are tooooo involved with the doggies....we love them like family and as an empty nester they are a blessing for you...enjoy

Thelma, I am so sorry that you are having to go through so much...you are in my prayers and I'm with the others, please let us help...it might not be much but we would love to help alittle....don't take that joy of helping a farmgirl sister away from us please....isn't that what us being sisters is for...to help one another? Think about it please...

Kathy, I'm like you, I get lost in the garden too...I love watching things grow and twice a day I go out and walk the garden and at least try and pull weeds in the evening....I was excited to see a little watermelon on one of my plants today.... :)....I also have a couple tomatoes that are almost ripe...can't wait for the others to produce...

Marylyn, you sure have been busy...bet the garden looks great..good luck with the jelly, hope it turns out in the next few day...I have trouble making jams and jellies, last year my pear preserves finally turned out just right. I have so many pears on the trees this year so guess I will make alot more.

Darlys, sounds like ya'll had a grand time....I wish we all could get together one day....wouldn't that be wonderful...I'm so glad some of you are able to meet....maybe one day I can join in on the fun. I miss talking to you and everyone else....my days are busy with work and the garden but I'm loving it....I didn't think going back to work was going to be so much fun.

I have been at work 5 weeks now and have received 2 awards...just for being myself...can't believe I get rewarded for being me...first time in my life that talking and being happy has been a blessing in a job...lol....My manager just told me that the store manager can't seem to quit saying all kinds of nice things about me...she said he told her that " I " was the best hire she has made in ages....so I'm truly blessed. DH has been doing more around the house than I thought he would...so that is a blessing too....I know he can't do alot of things due to his disability but at least he is trying....I know longer have the "friend" and I use that term lightly...in my life anymore...she got upset cause I would do or say the things SHE wanted me too..so she cut me out of her life completely....now that is 30 years of friendship gone, but since it has been gone, I find myself less stressed and happier everyday. I don't get upset and cry anymore of the things she said and did to me almost on a daily basis.....so I am glad it is done. I feel that you ladies are my real friends.. When I'm wrong you tell me but in a nice way, when I'm right you support me....when I'm down you lift me up without expecting anything in return. You are always hear to support and love me and for that I am truly thankful....I noticed when I started talking about ya'll to her is when things got worse...she was jealous I think because ya'll always mad me smile and her being negative always made me sad...thank you ladies for all you do for me...for the love and prayers that I feel from you daily, even when I'm not able to jump on everyday. Well this is my only day off this week so trying to catch up on some things...had to work Sunday for one of my new friends at work...her soon to be ex, beat her up Sat. and broke her nose, but I'm so proud of her...she had him arrested...because I've been there we have formed a bond that I don't think she has found before. I don't judge her like others do I just support her and I'm there when she needs to talk...I'm just glad her and her children aren't in that situation anymore. Please keep her in your prayers please...thanks.

I guess I better get to making my laundry detergent or the clothes will start piling up....since this is my day off of work it is my work day at home....lol...I also need to plant the last of my tomatoes....I planted so many seeds in buckets...because the first ones didn't come up but the second batch did, all of them...lol...love you all so much...

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...

My blog: http://ourgeorgiafarm.blogspot.com

Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/pgmcgee/#
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2012 :  3:45:23 PM  Show Profile
So much is happening in all our lives, it is hard to keep up sometimes. My garden, in my green house is doing pretty well, and when it is sunny, I just open the door a little. I have blooms on my banana peppers and the Early girl tomatoes that I bought in a pony pack are growing really well. It has been cold and rainy the last several days...highs in the 50's. Such crazy weather we have had the last several years. I also have some straight 8 cukes and garlic growing in the green house. I used those hardware cloth vases I talked about around the roots of the tomatoes. I had 3 tomatoes left, so that I planted them outside with clear garbage bags over the tops of the tomato cages so that it would keep out the cold and retain some of the heat. I also planted string beans and butternut squash. They are doing ok, but I think are at a standstill with the weather. We bought 4 blueberry bushes with a birthday gift certificate from my son. They told me that we should get 2 different kinds of blueberries for cross pollination. They are mid season bearing. Hope they do well. I lost quite a few of my raspberries last year. Not sure why...the winter was pretty mild. Oh..one thing I found, many farmers around here use oyster shell down in the bottom of their tomato holes. Guess gophers don't like to scratch and hurt their feet.

I want to thank you all again for the gifts and birthday cards. It made my day...week very special. BTW, I am 67, not 68. Don't want to skip ahead too soon.

I have also been letting loose of my old nursing text books. They were very out of date...over 40 years old and many things have changed. I found that many places (used book stores etc) don't want used text books, but Dan found that Goodwill will take everything. It is such a shame to toss things like that in the garbage.

My daughter will be flying in from Tampa this Friday. Haven't seen her since Thanksgiving. I've never had to do this long distance thing before. My son lived in Grants Pass OR for several years, and with a hard drive, we could be there in 1 day. She will be here for a month, as she will be having surgery by the surgeon who delivered her babies and who did my hysterectomy over 30 years ago. he is quite renowned and we both feel much more comfortable her having to have her surgery here than with doctors she has no history with.

Best get on the move. Blessings to you all!!!

Buffypuff/ Claudia ~ Farmgirl Sister #870 @}~~
"God sends no one away empty except those who are full of themselves." DL Moody

Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2012 :  4:04:55 PM  Show Profile
Thelma, Sorry you had a tough time sleeping last night. I get so aggravated at insurance and the medical community. I feel often a lot of expensive tests are ordered because doctors or medical groups own the equipment to do them. I do hope you find a way around the medication cost if you decide you want to take it. I also think doctors should have an idea about the cost of procedures and medications. It would be helpful as a patient if you could ask your doctor to weigh those factors into whether the medication would be worth it. We have fish in our horse trough. God knows how they survive...Last year the mare decided to have a footbath and climbed into the rubbermaid trough. She is such a troublemaker. But, back to the fish...I had lily pads in the trough for four or five years then last year as I was standing next to the gelding, he reached in and pulled the foliage out, roots and all. For crying out loud, I don't understand equines. I hope your fish have a less eventful life!

So, Janet, any good finds at the thrift?

Kathy, my garden is my meditation and I get lost in it, too. Yesterday I found a nest with nine quail eggs. I got out of there fast and I imagine mom and dad will be ok with the limited disturbance. I will try to sneak a peak later in the week. I have to say you win the prize, if there is one, for ridding a car of the new car smell quickly. That had to be quite a christening for that minivan! Thanks for the PlaqueBuster tip.

Darlys, your visit with Patty sounds very nice. I am so happy for both of you. I am sure Patty will be recreating many of the ideas she saw at those stores. She has so much energy and a knack for putting things together.

Glenda hope your visit is going well and that your brother is also doing well.

Penny, what a dream come true to find a job that rewards you for being you! Of course, you are pretty special. I am glad that you are free of your so called friend. And that you are happier. Glad to hear you can help your coworker through such a tough time. I am sure your support is fiercely important to her. Bless you for helping where you can. And hey, you know you can never have too many tomatoes. So plant all those plants, hon!!

today was rainy here. We missed the big weather thank goodness! So with all the rain and our temperatures in the (gasp!) 40s. I spent the day inside. And so did the dogs. Only the yellow one was less than thrilled about it. I get so guilt ridden seeing the hope in her eyes everytime I pass the front door ... Oh well, I can deal with it, 45 just seems frigid today! Of course, come January it's a heat wave!

So I got a bunch of ironing done and things just put where they are supposed to be. You know, those things you set "here" "for now"? I went to bed at nine last night, so I was up at four am, also listening to the birds!! We northern girls have early birds, don't we, Janet? So I wonder how early I will hit the hay tonight! I do have a dirty little secret type of television show I may watch... check with you all tomorrow! Take care dear ones.
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

beachymom
True Blue Farmgirl

467 Posts

Kathy
Manchester Tennessee
USA
467 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2012 :  4:40:52 PM  Show Profile
Ok - so we're getting ready for two new additions to our family - 2 hens. My dear husband is building not just a chicken coop, but a chicken palace! My idea would have been about half the size it's going to be, but his plan is a lot bigger. We went to the hardware store 3 times in one day just for more lumber. Instead of just your normal swing type door, we will have two, store-bought screen doors that we will recover with chicken wire just for safety. Here's the coop before the wire & doors:

And here's my husband, resting while trying to untie the chicken wire.

When we got home from our Vegas vacation, this is what my front yard looked like:

Love my clover!!

My garden looks like this now:

And my butternut squash has lots of little 3" squashes growing up my fence.

Enough pictures for now. I need to unwind & put my feet up. Jenny and I have been in the garden all afternoon. We planted Early Girl tomatoes into large pots and put them in the front yard as well as some zucchini & yellow crook neck squash also in large pots & put them in the front yard. Husband is afraid I plan on taking over the whole front yard next year for garden. Hmmmmm....

Later sisters and goodnight!!

Hugs and Squishies!!

Kathy

Farmgirl Sister #3983

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2012 :  5:09:13 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

Thelma that is not fair that a medication that may ease your liver malfunction is so expensive and not covered by insurance. How can people do that. Oh, pardon me it is a corporation being noncooperative and I do not want a corporation to be considered a person.

Marianne it did take me a little to figure out the initials and then to find them all on the keyboard to use them. Our dogs are in my face most mornings when I go to put on my shoes to go milk. It is really hard to tie shoes with dogs finding me irresistable. I tell my children if they can read then no one can ever lie to them and get away with it.

I do not carry a hand bag I have a fanny pack I can wear or carry. Not pretty but keeps the check book close by and I am less likely to leave it some where and lose it if it is attached to me.
What kind of fish did you get. I would like some coi but then I would need to put a wire net cover over the outlet to our pond because I think coi are considered an invasive species.

Which part of the plant to make Queen Anne's Lace Jelly. I have never heard of that and we do seem to have it growing around here in abundance. I thought later in the summer though.

Patty I am so glad to hear from you. It is a wonderful feeling to be appreciated. I am glad your dh is adjusting and helping out as he is able. Hugs to you.

We have light sockets in the ceiling of our garage. There is a nest and one hatchling in it. it started peeping day before yesterday. We try not to hang out in the garage too much when this happens. I would be excited to find a nest of eggs. One year we found hatched turkey eggs in the tall bushes. I wonder how many made it to maturity.

This morning Kethry and Jarrett had their wisdom teeth extracted. They were both very nervous. Kethry's were not impacted and Jarrett's were. I told them it was better to have it done now when we had insurance than to need it done later when they did not have insurance. Jarrett has spent the rest of the day on the couch sleeping. Kethry went to my teeth cleaning appointment so she could make the dentist feel guilty for sending her to such an awful experience. The dentist did not feel guilty at all. The oral surgeon said Kethry had the mouth of a 22 year old. We said she has the body of a 22 yo as well but she is still only 15.

Sweet dreams everyone,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Oggie
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Ginny
Machias Maine
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2012 :  7:17:11 PM  Show Profile
Haven't been on here in well over a month I'm sure and I have a lot to catch up on and tell but right now I just wanted to share this video. While they are in Canada, they are close to us. We use to go to Sussex all the time for auctions. Read the story and at the bottom of it is the video. Enjoy! Will be back in the next couple of days, I've missed all of you :)
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/story/2012/06/03/nb-sussex-viral-video.html

Ginny
Farmgirl #2343
www.thedewhopinn.com
www.etsy.com/shop/cybertiques

"I always have a wonderful time, wherever I am, whomever I'm with."
"Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it." Both by Elwood P. Dowd (Jimmy Stewart) in the Movie Harvey
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2012 :  03:15:38 AM  Show Profile
Kathy, what a great garden you have! You squash looks great and how pretty is the clover. Your husband is doing a great job on the chicken palace and I don't blame him for sitting down to untie that chicken wire, what a pain that is! I don't think he needs to worry about you taking over the yard, it sure looks like you have a lot of room! So nice and green.

Holly, Kethry sure must handle pain well. My husband and son both had their wisdom teeth pulled, both impacted. Neither of them would have gone anywhere following that experience! She must be very strong at 15, looking 22, lord help you!

It seems that I need to resume baking to stock the cookie jar. I haven't done that in a few years because my dd always brought baked goods by for her dad. But, dh is already into withdrawals if Sunday pouting was any clue. "What do we have for dessert?" It just never occurs to me to make a batch of cookies anymore. Guess it's on my to do list today since he gets home tonight. Also, found a recipte for iced coffee. I have never tried cold-brewing coffee before ... it seems to take quite a bit of coffee. But, I still want to give it a try. Dh and I have mentioned that it sounds really refreshing lately. I can still hear the rain on the roof, so today seems like a good day for these activities.

Anybody watching Master Chef? I have the first two shows recorded. Dh has been away and it is a show we both enjoy, so we will look forward to seeing it together over the weekend.
later, marianne
Go to Top of Page

Marylyn
True Blue Farmgirl

316 Posts

Marylyn
Ellsinore MO
USA
316 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2012 :  4:36:48 PM  Show Profile
Afternoon, gfs! Well, back to work tomorrow!!! Like everyone else I've been busy..oh, the Queen Anne's Lace jelly did jell...that stuff is so good!!! Light and fruity...yummy!

Well, I ventured out in my search on forums...wow..y'all are everywhere!!! But now checking in takes a lot longer!!! Hahaha...and soooo much to do, if you choose to..which I did! So far I have mailed out a Farmgirl quilt block and sent a mail-art project to someone who needed one. I mean I just didnot realize just how wide spread we all are!

I pre-ordered Mary Jane's new Glamping book and I ordered my Farmgirl necklace!!!! Can't wait....oh, and the guest towels that are on sale this month! Did y'all see the Sukie button/pin maker set in the 'cluck'....yep, I got mine the other day! I made a pin and pinned it to the mail-art I sent off today...yes, I have been busy here. Well, I pulled my shoulder out Monday pulling weeds so I took the day off yesterday and played at Mary Jane's Farm...hahaha...

Oh, Kathy, your chicken palace and gardens are awesome...I love them! I gotta get my chicken house built!

Ginny, I laughed myself silly watching that video!!!! It was so cute and very creative....

Penny, I am so glad that your job is going so well...you go girl!!!

Thelma, I hope you are feeling well and that you got good news at the Mayo clinic...again!

Gotta run, gals...suppers on the stove!

Love,

Marylyn
(aka Auntie M)
Farmgirl # 4062
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2012 :  6:21:08 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

I spoke to someone tonight at the 4th of July meeting who is going to spend ten dayas in Canada on the ocean. I asked him to look for sea glass. maybe there will be colors to send to Dianne or Kathy when he gets back.

I futzed around to day doing laundry and pulling weeds. Kethry is recovering very nicely from her wisdon teeth extraction. Jarrett was a total grump today until just a little while ago. He wanted to eat but the foods that would not hurt his mouth he did not want so he did not eat so he was hungry and more grumpy. if he did not eat he should not take his pain meds so he was even more grumpy. I made potato cheese soup for supper which was a favorite so maybe he ate while I was out and that is why he is not so grumpy now.

Ginny I am glad to see you surface and say hey.

Marylyn yes the queen Anne's lace is out here. Ross brought some to me today for a bouquet.

Tomorrow evening there is a Babe Ruth baseball game so I will not be on. I am not sure if I will get on Friday or not. I am to drive 2 hours to pick up 5 frames of bees and bring them home. I must be there at dusk when the workers have returned so they are all together to come here.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Marylyn
True Blue Farmgirl

316 Posts

Marylyn
Ellsinore MO
USA
316 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2012 :  6:35:02 PM  Show Profile
Oh, Holly, I meant to tell you that you use the flowers....the recipe is on Patty's blog : )....

Love,

Marylyn
(aka Auntie M)
Farmgirl # 4062
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2012 :  7:22:32 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone. Just on for a minute. I have a dr. appointment in the morning, just a routine check with my pulmonologist. I had all my breathing tests done 3 months ago, so should not have to do them again, I hope. I am a candidate for a double lung transplant, but not on the waiting list. Don't know if I ever will be due to money and the 15 anti rejection meds I would have to be on. Not sure if my bones would survive some of them.
I got my peppers amnd tomatoes planted, so now my gardens are complete, except to replant some seeds that did not come up. My garden is looking good, I love it!!!! Last year was the first time I had a garden in over 20 years, and each year I am getting stronger and able to do more. I hope they are as good as they were last year, I had so many veggies out of a small garden plot. It was 37 this morning, but warmed up to 78 degrees with little wind, for once, a picture perfect day. I love it!!!!!
I did not find much at the trift stores yesterday, a couple of Christmas decorations and a cone of yarn, that was it.
Have a great evening,

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2012 :  11:14:41 PM  Show Profile
Janet, I am so sorry to hear that your breathing is so compromised. It must limit your gardening quite a bit. But, it sounds like you have quite a nice one coming up.

Holly, please wish Talie good luck on his game. Hope the wisdom "twins" are both back to 100%! And hope you get to hop back on the forum sometime soon when things slow down a bit for you.

Patty, how is the trip going? No more flats, I assume! Are the kids tired of the car?

Dh is home! The flight was even on time ... a welcome change! Tomorrow we are supposed to have a break from the rain! I can't wait. I want to be outside for a bit.

Marianne

Edited by - rough start farmgirl on Jun 06 2012 11:19:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

beachymom
True Blue Farmgirl

467 Posts

Kathy
Manchester Tennessee
USA
467 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2012 :  05:17:20 AM  Show Profile
Ginny - It is so good to hear from you! We've been so worried. I'm glad you made it back safely to us. Welcome home, sister.

Just a quick note this morning as I have to take my truck in for servicing. Have to keep this up every 5000 miles until warranty wears out. There's a Target close to the dealership, so I'm going to walk over & do a little shopping.

Everybody have a great day.

Later sisters.

Hugs and Squishies!!

Kathy

Farmgirl Sister #3983

Go to Top of Page

Marylyn
True Blue Farmgirl

316 Posts

Marylyn
Ellsinore MO
USA
316 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2012 :  05:27:27 AM  Show Profile
Awww, love Target...the closest one to me is over a hundred miles away!!!! I've just got Wally World!!!! Shop for me, Kathy! Hehehe...

Janet, I am so sorry about your breathing problems...you will be in my thoughts and heart.

Holly, take care...cheer loudly at those ball games!!!

Back to work, but as always I will take y'all with me and check in when things are slow!!!

Love,

Marylyn
(aka Auntie M)
Farmgirl # 4062
Go to Top of Page

DEW
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

Dianne
Weiser Idaho
USA
317 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2012 :  09:59:43 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning Everyone

Summer school is underway. It has been busy trying to get everyone set up in the system.
Then of course there are the thousand and one questions about ten different subjects!!! On line classes have good points and bad.
One of the not so great things is that I have to know about every subject to help students.
I am good in most, but science is not my strong subject. LOL

I am going to try and get caught up a little bit today.

Wow I am behind Nancy Congrats on June FGOTM. Way to go!!

Maianne The yard sale went pretty good we made almost $400. I still have stuff that I will probably donate.
Some of the bigger items I will put on Craigs List. But all in all it was a good sale.

Darlys talk about timeing. You got there just in time.

Marianne My youngest will be moving out of the house this month. She will still be in town. I just wont see her every day.
I have really mixed emotions with her move. I am happy for her and at the same time sad for me! LOL

Holly such a great pic. Those are such precious memories. Make lots. I love to listen to my kids when they get together and talk about
this or that time and what fun they had.

Holly I agree with Marianne. It is the people not the things that make life sweet.

Thelma my prayers are with you. You have such a wonderful spirit. Thank you for being a part of this group and sharing yourself with us.
Oh Thelma I am still rolling on the floor laughing!!! What a story!

Glenda I love the pics. I really do love to see what everyones place or town looks like. It makes me feel like I am there.
You know kind of a short vacation. I imagin standing there in the trees with Glenda or playing in the puddle with Ross. kind of a nice break.

Holly you must be so proud of Talie. I can see why the coaches thought he was older. You are truly a wonderful mother.

Bunny I am praying for the scholarship. I have been where you are as far as college goes. Every little bit helps.

Holly how do you come up with these questions??? What would I give. A slower pace. It seems like everyone is always in a hurry.
You miss so much when you run from place to place. I would give them time to smell the roses and listen to the birds
and just enjoy all that God has created.Time to just be with the ones they love.

Count me in on the get away. Do we bring hubbys or just us girls?

Thelma I am sorry for the cost of the meds. It seems silly to me that all that stuff cost so much. Praying for you gf.
Did you check on the tranceplant? I have a friend that is headed to Portland OR. to check on a kidney tranceplant. None us us are candidates,
but we are praying for a match.

Kathy you all will need to stop by Weiser ID the third full week in June. Fiddle Festival goes on the whole week.
I will get pics and you can see a bit of where I live.

Darlys I glad the vist with Patty went great. Fandangos sounds like a fun place to eat.

Penny congrats on the awards. It is always nice to have people notice your are awesome. We of course already knew that.

Kathy what a great guy. You are one lucky girl. Love the garden. I am not going to get one this year. Too many things going on.
So thank you for sending the garden picsd. I will just pretend I am walking in the rows and smelling the earth.

Holly I am glad they both servived the dentist. I never got my wisdom teeths. I guess I am not wise. LOL
Tell talie good luck on his game. We are all rooting for him and his team.

Janet sorry to hear about your breathing problems. I hate it when I am out of breath. I can't imagine being like that all the time. Praying for you.

Now that I am caught up and I have writen what appears to be a short story. LOL All of you have a great day.

Dianne (ID)
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2012 :  4:06:58 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Thanks everyone for the nice words, just want to jump on for a min before heading to the garden...just got home from work....I was told yesterday as I was leaving work that I was given a promotion...can you believe that....less than six weeks there and I'm moving up already...the position is called a bookkeeper but what it means is I will be handling the money in the office, the customer service desk and in charge of all the cashiers...I'm so excited...it is very much like my position I had with Lowe's 3 years ago...before I quit, because it was just to far to travel...anyway just wanted to share...hope to catch up later...

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...

My blog: http://ourgeorgiafarm.blogspot.com

Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/pgmcgee/#
Go to Top of Page

Marylyn
True Blue Farmgirl

316 Posts

Marylyn
Ellsinore MO
USA
316 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2012 :  04:33:50 AM  Show Profile
Good morning, gfs! It's a beautiful morning in the Ozarks! The sun is shining the temps should be in the low 80's...Perfect day to work, well, not really, I would rather be home! Hehehehe...

Penny, wow, oh, wow....a promotion!!! I knew it, I knew it! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Dianne, good luck with summer school...sounds like you will be busy, busy, busy...but then that is why they call it "work"! Hehehe...

I would imagine Patty is sleeping off her trip and Holly is cheering at ball games ..... It sure is quiet around here without them!

Well, I've got to get ready for work.....oh, keep y'alls fingers crossed, there is a rumor at work that I might be getting week-ends off on the new schedule change!!! We'll see! That would be great...after three years....if not, I guess that would be okay, too! : )

Love,

Marylyn
(aka Auntie M)
Farmgirl # 4062
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2012 :  05:15:35 AM  Show Profile
Have to work today, so just a quick note.
Congratulations Penny!!!!!! What great news!!! A promotion in less than 6 weeks. That is wonderful!! It shows that they really like your work. Good for you.
Marylyn, weekend off would be good.
Dianne, summer school. You did not get much of a break yet.
Lung dr. said I am doing so well, he was amazed. I told him it is because I keep active. He agreed. I just have to watch the humid weather here in the summer, we have such heavy air, makes it hard to breath, then it is working on stuff indoors. I only use oxygen at night right now, so that is good.
Penny, are you home yet? Enjoying the daughter and grand daughters, I am sure.
Holly, hope the baseball camp is going well.
Have a great day,

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2012 :  05:21:30 AM  Show Profile
I mean Patty, are you home yet? sorry!!!

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

Go to Top of Page

beachymom
True Blue Farmgirl

467 Posts

Kathy
Manchester Tennessee
USA
467 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2012 :  06:03:42 AM  Show Profile
Good morning from Maryland. It's cool right now, but it's supposed to get up to the 80s by this afternoon. 90 by Sunday! Welcome to summer. Oh, and the humidity.....:P

Thelma-I'm so sorry to hear about the high cost of your meds. Can you contact the manufacturer? Maybe they have some kind of assistance program available. You never know if you don't try.

Penny-Great going on the promotion sister!! They must really like you and of course you have the talent. Again - wonderful & congratulations!

Janet-I am so sorry to hear about your breathing issues. It must be terrible not to be able to take a deep breath without the oxygen. I'm praying for you too sister.

Dianne-What a great yard sale you must have had to have raised $400 & still have lots of leftovers. I'll bet Purple Heart or Goodwill will be happy to see you!

Last yard sale we had was when we put MIL in support home 3 years ago. After going through her stuff, everybody got what they wanted, the rest sold for over $600. It was sad to see all of her things, laid out on the lawn for strangers to haggle over & take away. She was such a vital woman until the Alzheimers hit her. She died last December. Really didn't suffer, she was just gone a long time before she actually died. What a terrible disease to rob one of being themselves.

Auntie M-Please don't change your sign off. It's the only way I can find you!!

As for the 'get away'....I suggest we plan for the first weekend in June, 2014. That'll be the 3rd annual "Glamping" weekend. I think we should all try to be just us girls, but husbands if necessary. Maybe a KOA campground, or depending on how many of us will actually go, a State Park? Most have either sites close enough to keep connected, or again, depending on how many go, their group camping area. Must have running water & toilets - no port-a-pots for this glamper!! I'm thinking someplace in Kansas or Oklahoma....somewhere in the middle of the USA. What do the rest of you think? I'm already saving up for it. I dressed up a 'cow' bank just for this glamping project.

Garden peas almost completely done and will need to be pulled out pretty soon so the squash can take over their space. Still don't have any idea where to plant my mini white pumpkins. They need to climb something-somewhere in full sun....hhmmm... I may need to get a little creative here. Also need to get my sugar pumpkins in the ground. I'm thinking of putting them in the back of my 'salad garden'. It's almost done too.

Anyway, gotta to go. Later sisters. Prayers all around!!

Hugs and Squishies!!

Kathy

Farmgirl Sister #3983

Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2012 :  2:15:21 PM  Show Profile
Janet I hope you continue to do well with your lungs. It must be worrysome to have that diagnosis. I will continue to pray that you can do well on your own.

I already wrote about my garden, however we have had a week + of wind, rain and hail. All was doing well outside until we had a night of clear skies...not necessarily expected. It was 24 at 4 am Wednesday morning. Frost all over. I had the tomatoes covered, and the beans are not up yet, but the cukes and winter squash took a hit. Rats! I'm hoping that it did not kill the center growing area, only the outside leaves. They are translucent.

I also came across an article regarding warning signs for heart attacks in women. Since we are all over 50, we should recognize these signs. Heart problems can not only result from life style, but also heredity...so....

1. Sweating... maybe drenched in sweat but maybe a pale or ashen face. (These are not hot flashes.)
2. Nausea or Dizziness... during an attack women may vomit or feel like passing out.
3. Breathlessness... over half of the women report panting or inability to carry on a conversation
4. Sleeplessness... a month or so prior to an attack, nearly half the women had sleeping trouble ( I have that all the time.)
5. Anxiety... women may feel a sens of fear or doom. It may be your body trying to warn you. Heed the warnings.

Some of these symptoms are so different than what has been stressed, because most studies have been on men. Pain in jaws, chest and down left arm can also be found, but I think it is important for women to be aware. We are the caretakers, and are not always too good at caring for ourselves.

Buffypuff/ Claudia ~ Farmgirl Sister #870 @}~~
"God sends no one away empty except those who are full of themselves." DL Moody

Go to Top of Page

Marylyn
True Blue Farmgirl

316 Posts

Marylyn
Ellsinore MO
USA
316 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2012 :  6:37:52 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for posting this, Claudia...it is true we don't think about taking care of ourselves...most of these symptoms we just ignore.

Okay, Kathy, I returned my signature just for you! Hehehe...; )

I'm tired, just got home from a 12 hour day...

Love,

Auntie M
Farmgirl # 4062
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 218 **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Farmgirls over age 50 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page