Page: of 218

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2012 :  2:15:24 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
thank you everyone for the birthday wishes and thank to Nancy for 2 birthday cards and tea(giggle) Kathy for my birthday card, and the great bath goodies and faith magnet, Darlys for the birthday card and Janet for the birthday card and tea...I hope I didn't leave anyone out....ya'll made my birthday so very special...thank you, thank you, thank you....

Now I have other good news...I told ya'll about the promotion that I got, from cashier to bookkeeper...well today I got another promotion..to DSD receiver...which is the person in charge of all the vendors that come into the store...this is a big promotion too...regular hours and no weekends...DSD is direct sales deliver receiver...now I'm told that is a very important job and can't believe they gave it to me...after only 6 weeks. I'm so honored....just wanted to share with someone...since I don't have anyone anymore...since all ties are cut with my friend of 30 yrs...after she decided I wasn't doing what she wanted me too...I don't miss her but do miss talking to someone sometimes...ya'll are my VIP people...thanks for listening...love ya'll

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...

My blog: http://ourgeorgiafarm.blogspot.com

Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/pgmcgee/#
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2012 :  4:53:21 PM  Show Profile
Thelma, I agree, a blue ribbon for your fairy garden. How cute!!!!
Penny, another congratulations is in order!!!! How wonderful for you!!! You must be a very good worker to be promoted twice in a week and only been there for 6 weeks!! You go girl!!!!

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

machick
True Blue Farmgirl

60 Posts

Diana
Park City Kansas
USA
60 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2012 :  5:06:54 PM  Show Profile
Thelma--love the fairy garden. My GD and i plan on making a Hobbit Town when she gets back from camp. I am gathering the things we need now. I think I am more excited then she is LOL

May your bobbins always be full!!!
Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2012 :  5:27:50 PM  Show Profile
I saw an outside Fairy Garden in a recent magazine. I wanted to make one for my ganddaughter's 10th birthday. When I found the mineature plants I was soooooooooo excited! I went to a farm supply store and bought a feed pan for a container. Then the search was on for the faries. By the time I got the little road and pebbles arranged I decided to keep it. The supplies cost more than I intended to spend. Thank you for the compliments. I'll let you know how I turn out. The fair is around July 19th. I am still wondering what a fairy in a jar is. I found a recipe that is just glitter, glo sticks, and stuff. Will make some when the grands come, but it is nothing like my garden. Diane - you are going to love making you Hobbit Town. Don't forget to share. Oh and welcome aboard. You have landed in a very special chat room. Keep posting!

Penny - you rock chickie poo. Hugs and pats on the back from Iowa! I am retired now, but always got involved in my work! Life is more fun that way.

Kathy - I hope your shoulder heals quickly. I hurt badly tonight. Decided to move some Hosta's before the rain comes and I really overdid. You know what would make it all better? One of your decorated cookies - giggle. Tell Jenny I will write to her soon. I love corresponding with her.

Bad weather heading my way so best get off the computer and shut it down. Taa taa Chickie poos. I'm heading for the roost and a good nights sleep.

Edited by - Thelma on Jun 14 2012 5:35:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

machick
True Blue Farmgirl

60 Posts

Diana
Park City Kansas
USA
60 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2012 :  5:36:02 PM  Show Profile
Thanks. And yes I will keep posting here. You all are my age group and just what I need.

May your bobbins always be full!!!
Go to Top of Page

beachymom
True Blue Farmgirl

467 Posts

Kathy
Manchester Tennessee
USA
467 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2012 :  6:30:19 PM  Show Profile
OK - I have to rant a little bit....I went out after dinner to pick the very last of my peas & to spray a little "Death to Bugs Spray" where you grind up & mash bugs and add a little liquid fertilizer and put it all in a spray bottle and spray it all around the veggies to keep bugs away. It doesn't work & I'll never use that food processor again. I find the hand pick and foot squish works better for most bugs. But somebody, please tell me how to KILL those nasty little black gnats. I hate them more than mosquitoes & stink bugs. They came in the house last fall when I brought the house plants back inside. I have tried everything from vinegar to wine to real honest to goodness kill everything in the world bug spray - which doesn't work at killing anything except my poor unfortunately placed aloe plant. Only thing that even comes close to working is my little bug eating plant - but even though I have two of them, the little black bugs are still everywhere!!! Not only outside everywhere, but now they're inside too. Jenny even has a couple of fly strips tucked into a couple of corners and around the light in the front room. HELP!!

But I digress....I started to tell you all about something else. I was deadheading my marigolds, tossing the seeds out in the flower garden and under the trees and wherever they went, when this small toad or frog decided he liked my purple crocs and came from out of nowhere to grab on to my foot. I reacted like a little boy - I screamed and shook my foot hard to dislodge the thing hanging on to me - my brain took a couple of extra seconds to recognize that this 'thing' was a useful critter in my garden and as soon as I saw where it landed, I hurried over to make sure the little guy was ok (he was & scurried away from me as quickly as he landed), I pushed aside some of the huge green bean leaves where it landed only to see a ton of green beans ready to harvest!! Now, I am in my garden every day...watering, pulling weeds, checking on veggie readiness, but I never saw that the beans were that close to picking. I swear - yesterday all I saw were tons of pretty purple and white blossoms all over the bean patch. I know I didn't plant magic beans, but how'd that happen?

Well, I don't spend too much time in the garden in the evening because of the aforementioned plethora of bugs so I will have to put off the bean harvest until tomorrow morning. In the mean time, I'll get out the big pots so I will be able to pick, clean, trim, chop, quick boil & pack into pint size bags for freezing. I'd rather freeze some veggies than can them and green beans is one of those.

Oh, and did I say after the last of the pea harvest, I actually have one full quart baggie of peas in the freezer? I only planted about 20 pea plants, including those my strange oldest daughter sneaked into my sweet pea patch. I am the only one in my family to eat peas, so I never plant but a few, just to watch them grow & to give the bees an early snack & to enjoy in a couple of meals. I should get quite a few meals out of this harvest. I love it when strange things happen in the garden.

Thanks for listening....and goodnight sisters.
Go to Top of Page

delicia
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

delicia
cincinnati ohio
USA
917 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2012 :  6:43:07 PM  Show Profile
Thelma, The fairy in a jar swap you took a jar and made your fairy a home inside the jar. I used a fairy that I found on line and printed in color, glittered her up a bit glued a wire to her and stuck into styrafoam, made some flowers out of buttons and stuck in the styrafoam and them some small silk folwers were added, a butterfly, a lady bug, and then modpodge glued some moss all around to cover the styrafoam. Then I named my Fairy wrote some important stuff about her and mailed her off yesterday. I am hoping there will be some photos posted on them. Check and see what you think. It was in the swap post area. I actually have a nice little fairy garden around part of my garden with some houses, fairies, fences, they even have small rakes etc., that you can use.
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2012 :  8:30:00 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
(page 291)Thanks everyone, for the kind words..

Thelma I love the fairy garden....so cute, I bet you win first place too.

Diana, welcome, I know you will love it here...this is the best group of ladies(I use that term lightly (giggle, giggle) on this site. They are so loving and helpful and the best friends you can ever have...

Well this working girl has to get to bed, have to work tomorrow...don't start my new job till Monday...nighty, night...

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...

My blog: http://ourgeorgiafarm.blogspot.com

Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/pgmcgee/#
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2012 :  05:17:37 AM  Show Profile
Marilyn I tried to sew a Dotee doll by hand and it turned out okay. My Dotees are not too small so I really need to use the machine. Sorry that yours has broken down. I haven't made jelly in a long time. Actually my DH is the jelly maker. He does like to put up jelly/preserves from our fruit trees.

Patty I am so glad to hear that you are having a wonderful time with the girls. I have 3 GDs and felt so special to have been with them a lot while they were growing up. Lily sounds so much like my youngest, Kelly. I am praying that your doctor visit went well.

Thank you Janet. Wouldn't it be fun if we could get together? What a bunch of chatter and laughter there would be. We would probably get kicked out of the place for making too much noise. I hope you had a wonderful breakfast with your sister. I am happy to hear that you are better.

Dianne I never taught summer school. I would tell myself in Sept that I will teach summer school at the end of the year. But when it gets to the end I could not teach one more day. So I applaud you for your summer school work. You have a lot of chickens to butcher. Wow! Happy eating!

Thelma I am so glad that you are able to be in a "free" medication study group. I pray all goes well. I always miss you when you are not posting. Having had liver problems myself I know how awful it can be. I am not fond of testing especially liver biopsies. I had 3 when I had the Hepatitis C and don't want to go through that again.
I love your flower picture. The purple is so beautiful. I am glad that you are posting pictures. I hope it is getting easier for you. I still have some problems when I try to post as you will see today.

Welcome Pam. You are going to love it here. These ladies are the most "bestest" of all. Such love and caring you won't find anywhere else.

Darlys I hope you are having a super good time with your grandson. And have a wonderful time with your friends up in Oakhurst this weekend.

Holly thanks for all the information on the bees. We don't seem to have very many here this year. Now that I know how important bees are I have a different attitude when I see them. I liked reading about the hay and can just see you and your children working so hard getting it put in. There is certainlhy a lot of work on the farm. Your kids are lucky to be able to participate in farm life. And to have such a wonderful mom.

Marianne, I had my 89 year mom living with me for about 2 years. It was one of the most rewarding and difficult things I have done. She had dementia but was a loving and sweet lady. After a while it became too hard for me to care for her so we ended up putting her in a home where she lived for 3 years. I am so glad that I was able to have that time with her at my house. We had a lot of good laughs and special time together.

Kathy the cookies look really pretty. My mouth is watering. Of course, I am sitting here with my coffee and have not had breakfast. My eyes are eating the cookie with the little cupcake on top. So cute! Did Jenny get that cookie or did you DH? Maybe you saved that one for yourself. haha

I am off to mail about 7 packages at the PO today. I am mailing some books and a couple of MJF swap things. Then I have the housekeeping to do such as clean the kitchen floor. My DH did a super job of house cleaning while I was gone but not the kitchen floor.

My prayers for all you ladies in need.

Hugs and squeezies,

Nancy

Make everyday a celebration of the heart.
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2012 :  05:29:31 AM  Show Profile
My humpty dumpty and Darlys' apron she gave me for FGOTM.
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2012 :  05:40:14 AM  Show Profile
Go to Top of Page

Marylyn
True Blue Farmgirl

316 Posts

Marylyn
Ellsinore MO
USA
316 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2012 :  05:44:29 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Nancy, I love all of your pictures and I love your Dotee Doll!!! I just fell in love with those little girls!

Gotta go to work!!!

Love,

Auntie M
Farmgirl # 4062
Go to Top of Page

Cooknnana
True Blue Farmgirl

213 Posts

Kathryn
Chandler OK
USA
213 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2012 :  07:13:33 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning My friends…

Welcome to all the new Gals…

It's been a crazy time lately. The Doc brought a friend out from AZ who is a homeopath as well. He's never been a clinician, however, and that's what he told Doc what he wanted to do. So Doc paid for him to fly here, bought him clothes appropriate for the office, housed him, fed him, etc… and the gentleman reneged on everything he said. He brought down the whole atmosphere; we had patients complaining about the remedies he was making…the works. He bounced from one "project" to the next without completely a single one and putting them all off onto me. He kept "kicking" me off my computer so he could use the internet, and then when we told him he could not do that, because I couldn't get my work done and I might as well stay home if I'm going to be spending my day on the couch, he started leaving the office for hours at a time; going to the library, mostly, but he shopped and wandered all over the place. After many unfruitful discussions with him, Doc had had enough and put him on a plane back to AZ this past Sunday Morning.

Things are busy enough for me at the office, what with getting a new program up and running and everything, but he made it downright stressful, where it hadn't been before. He was a very nice man, but… wow!

Then this week the a flu bug has been running rampant through our patient lists and guess what? I caught it! Argghhh! Monday night I started having a little trouble with my sinuses causing irritation at the back of my nose, if you know what I mean…by Tuesday night I was running quite the fever, chills, body aches…etc, I won't get into all the nasty, gory details. By Wednesday afternoon I was near collapse. I had stayed home on Wednesday and I had been in contact with the Doc throughout the night. He wanted me to come to the office Wednesday, so he could take a look at me. I don't really remember driving there, but by the Grace of God I managed it. He kept me in the office for a couple hours, giving me meds and laser treatments. Oh, I should mention that it had move to my chest and I could talk either. By the time I was driven home I was somewhat improved. By Thursday morning I had my voice back and, although I wasn't completely over it, I was doing much, much better.

Did I tell you that my youngest GD is with me all this week? The Doc's niece has been watching her while I'm here at the office. The babysitter came down with it as well, so her parents picked her and Avari up from my daughter's house, where Avari and I have been staying, and brought Avari up her to the office for the Doc and my intern to take care, while I was incapacitated in the other room.

I still have a couple of issues, but for the most part, I am doing much better. Wow! What a time!

There is no way I'm going to be able to catch on all that I've missed, so I hope you don't mind if I asked questions to cause you all to repeat yourselves.

We've almost got the new program completely up and running; just a bit more to put into it. So I can't get on the internet much during office hours too much right now, and I can't hang around in the evenings until after Monday, because I still have Avari until then and a babysitter who wants to go home… imagine that, lol. I'm hoping to have internet service turned on at my house by the middle of July, so I'll be able to "talk" with you all every evening without having to stay at the office to do it. Yippee!

Well, I need to get back to it, here. I just wanted you all to know that I haven't completely dropped off the face of the earth.

Love and Hugs!

Kathryn

If there is a will, there's a way; find your way!

Sister #3282
Go to Top of Page

Marylyn
True Blue Farmgirl

316 Posts

Marylyn
Ellsinore MO
USA
316 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2012 :  07:29:20 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Kathryn...I am so sorry you were so sick!!! That sounded awful....I hope you are recovering nicely and that your granddaughter doesn't come down with anything. Aside from that...I am so glad to hear from you, I missed you! Will be glad when your Internet is up and running!

Love,

Auntie M
Farmgirl # 4062
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2012 :  10:54:21 AM  Show Profile
Kathryn I was wondering about you. I have dropped out, too. Sometimes life hits us with a lot at once and we just have other priorities for a bit. I see Ginny checked in while I was gone, so glad of that, and Thelma is now posting pictures, beautiful ones I might add. Welcome to new farmgirls,
Nancy the pictures you posted are wonderful too--I love all the pictures. I have a lot going on in my life right now so I will be in and out. Have been home only two days and have to leave again this afternoon.

Glenda #3534
http://www.gypsyglenda.com

Edited by - doll58maker on Jun 15 2012 10:56:15 AM
Go to Top of Page

beachymom
True Blue Farmgirl

467 Posts

Kathy
Manchester Tennessee
USA
467 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2012 :  3:57:24 PM  Show Profile
Kathryn - I'm sorry you had such a terrible bout of the flu - I'm glad to know you are feeling somewhat better now. Being sick in the late spring/early summer is just miserable!!

So how is everybody else doing? I'm sitting down for the first time since I got up this morning. I hate and love days like this.

Jenny and I harvested 11 pints of green beans this morning. Then I had physical therapy for an hour. Then about 2 hours of general house cleaning. Then it took me another 2 hours to clean, chop, blanch & freeze all but 1 of those pints. I cooked that last pint with some diced onions and some leftover deli ham also diced up. Mmmm. It was good. There are still a ton of little tiny beans & lots of blossoms for more beans later.

So, now I'm going to log off and get in some crocheting.

Hugs and Squishies!!

Kathy

Farmgirl Sister #3983

Take care of the land and it will take care of you.
Go to Top of Page

Simple Living
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Joan
Staten Island NY
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2012 :  4:03:47 PM  Show Profile
Okay what is with all the nasty nats flying around every where .... yuck.... they are making me itchy lol

A Friend is Someone who Reaches for your Hand, But Touches your Heart!
Farmgirl #3842
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2012 :  6:35:10 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

WOW Jan five miles in and hour. That is really good for someone with two new hips and having been wheelchair bound for two years. You sure are making up for lost time. I read with attention to detail when you say you are expecting rain for the next five days. So, we should be in for some soon too. Although the Eye on the Sky guys say we are supposed to be having warmer weather for the next few days because of some swirling air above the Atlantic Ocean making the warm air move up the coast.

Thelma anyway you could get some green up in your tree or some little birds and squirrels looking down. It is eye catching the way it is but everything is so alive except for the tree. You are very talented.

Kathy my children are always up for leftover treats and that cake looks far too big for just the three of you to eat. heeheeheee. Wood shavings are easier to clean up than straw. Hay or shavings work well in the boxes. Straw gets matty with chicken poo. JMHO (just my humble opinion)

Penny congratulations on the promotion. I hope there is an increase in your paycheck as well as your responsibilities. Hugs to you.

Kathy I am not sure what black gnats you are referring to so advice is limited from this quarter of the northeast. fruit flies? biting black flies? mmmmm I will say that I do not do the squish method of beetle murder anymore. I put them in a jar of vegetable oil and feed them to the chickens. It was very amusing watching them look at these strange dead things and waiting to see which chicken would be brave enough to try the bug first. After one tried and didn't drop dead immediately the others all swarmed the tray and gobbled them right up.

Nancy thank you for your kind words of praise. I am not sure that the children feel they are lucky to live on a farm. Two of them tell me on a regular basis that they are city teens stuck on a farm. I do know that when they go away for a little while and eat elsewhere they come home and tell me the other food does not taste right or the water tastes nasty. So, even if they do not openly acknowledge their appreciation I know that they notice. I am glad that we are able to give them this upbringing. I do not need to worry about them when they go outside to play. I think they have far less immediate fears to deal with than city children.

We put in another 151 bales tonight. We are done now and that is a big worry over. The cows are good for the winter now. Marianne I should think the hay would be good for more than one year if it does not get wet or too much sun. We have a place in our hay barn that the sun shines on and the hay bleaches out. The cows don't seem to care. When we have stacked it there they reach their heads over the door and pull it out to eat. I used to hear from horse owners that horses needed to have first cut hay. I thought oh this must be extra rich to keep them healthy. Was I ever disappointed to hear that first cut hay has a lower protein count than second or third cut and that horses need the lower count. go figure. Please tell me how many bales are in a ton. We figured 2000 pounds in a ton at 50 pounds a bale that would be 400 bales in a ton. Am I doing this right?
I always figure 180 days of feeding time and three or four bales a day.

Talie had a ball game last night and they won 22 to nothing and the game was called in the fifth inning. Talie pitched for two innings and played third base for two innings.

I do love the summer and being outside.

A Shamanic healer gave me the name of a cd that is guaranteed to put anyone to sleep and it says not to listen to it while driving. It is drumming maybe chanting.The drum beat creates Theta waves in the brain and aid sleep. It is called " Tuvan Shamanic healing". order from Shamani.org

Sweet dreams

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2012 :  7:24:49 PM  Show Profile
Kathryn, glad to see you back. Sorry you were so sick, but glad you are feeling some better.
Nancy, great pictures you took. Love the Dotee doll too.
Glenda, hope your brother is doing better. Hope you will be able to slow down soon.
Kathy, my, you have been busy today. I love green beans. Mine are just growing out of the ground!!! I bet Jenny likes to be helpful too.
Holly, you all must have big muscles after all that hay hauling!!! Bet you are glad that is done for the winter, and early too. I enjoy being able to walk, but it is easier if I am alone, since Bob can only go so far, then he is tired, and the dog get tired after 1/2 mile. I like to go until I know I need to quit. I wish I could ride a bike, but that is out. I used to bike 25 miles a day, I loved it, but too much bouncing on the hips now, can't take the chance.I hope I can keep up walking all summer now.
Have a great evening,

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

Go to Top of Page

Marylyn
True Blue Farmgirl

316 Posts

Marylyn
Ellsinore MO
USA
316 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2012 :  05:01:14 AM  Show Profile
Good morning, gfs!!! Just jumping on to let everyone know that I received my Mary Jane's Farm necklace yesterday evening when I got home from work!!! It is gorgeous!!! But I guess y'all know that..hehehe...I just wanted to share!

Gotta run to work!!!

Love,

Auntie M
Farmgirl # 4062
Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2012 :  06:14:54 AM  Show Profile
Good morning... I have a long to do list today... As soon as I can get off of this computer...lol. I have my morning routine between this page, craigslist, and facebook. I jump on craigslist farm and garden a few times a day. You never know when someone is going to offer chickens or rabbits for free....lol. People buy their kids chicks and bunnies for Easter and then decide they are too much work.
Today you can get a free quart of paint at Ace Hardware... just print out the coupon at http://www.acehardware.com/coupon/index.jsp I am all about free!..lol

Pam- Wecome to the "Over 50"s) group of crazy ladies! We have alot of fun here. Hope you stick around.

Kathy- I buy mini wood flakes in a bale at the feed store. The cost is $5 and I love it compared to straw and ground corn cobs.

Penny- Congrats on your promotion! This "going back to work" thing has been wonderful for you. Out of the "muck" that you were in. It is so nice to see you having fun and excited again.

Holly- That is the way we always figured hay...33 60lb bales = ton, 40 50lb bales = ton, 50 40lb bales = ton. I made dandelion wine once. It tasted like whiskey. It was horrible. We like to eat the dandelion blossoms. I dip them in egg and then roll them in flour just like I do mushrooms. They are delicious. You just have to make sure the stem is cut off as it is bitter.

Marylyn- I am so looking forward to your visit to Carlinville! I can hardly wait.

Thelma- You have inspired me. I want to build a fairy garden. When I was with Darlys in CA, the shop she talked about us going into had the cutest fairy garden items. I was trying to figure out how I could make some of the items. I did pick up a couple of tiny gnomes at JoAnn's.

Well, off I go to get my day started. Have a wonderful day.

Patty #1840

http://ladygonegreen.blogspot.com/

A rind is a terrible thing to waste. Compost.

When they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, “Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted.”
-Jesus in John 6:12 NIV Bible
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2012 :  12:13:15 PM  Show Profile
Good afternoon ladies!

Love all the pics being posted!! Hope eventually I can figure out the uploading and posting thing. Despite instructions? Still not getting it too well!?!
I am behind a few days on the post so I hope to catch up on everyone's news.

I am at my daughters right now. I am dog and cat and duck sitting for them! Lol!

We have been having T-storms out here in Kansas. Not that storms are anything new here for sure. The rains are much needed and I know the farmers are blessed.

I found some fun painting and re-finishing ideas on furniture on Pinterest. Thinking about going to Hobby Lobby this week for some pretty papers and craft paint. I have a small to medium size craft cupboard with many small drawers to hold paints, chipboard, stickers, etc. thinking of painting it a pretty blue and mod podge some beautiful paper patterns or fabric on front of each drawer. Then either repainting the drawer pulls or finding some fun new ones!

Well, time to let the dog out. He's a Bassett Hound. A sweetie but wow can he get hyper!!

Have a wonderful afternoon!

Hugs,
Linda

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

beachymom
True Blue Farmgirl

467 Posts

Kathy
Manchester Tennessee
USA
467 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2012 :  4:31:12 PM  Show Profile
Holly - I never thought about saving the bugs for the chickens. I'm gonna start that now, since I'll have 2 hens after Monday!! We are so excited. Also, I plan on running the straw through my mini shredder before putting it in the chicken coop. I'm hoping that works as good as the sawdust or shavings. I always thought straw was better than hay because hay could seed - although come to think of it, some hay growing around here wouldn't be a bad thing. But, I need to rely on you all who have chickies now because the last time I had chickens, I was 18.....I'm not gonna tell anybody how long ago that was ~~giggle~~. Maybe next time I'll see if I can find any shavings around here. And believe me, my girls are going to get really fat eating all the slugs & bugs I usually stomp. Oh, I'm going to really enjoy this. And I believe those nasty bugs I have are gnats or fruit flies. I guess it's all the composting I'm doing. I hear they hang around compost piles. I wouldn't mind if they would just stay out of the house!!

OK - today, Jenny and I (dragging hubby along too) went to an estate auction. Jenny scored with a glass American Indian doll for $5. She's nuts for anything American Indian. She also got a big box lot of Star Wars action figures and a Halloween costume of Qui-Gon Jinn. He was one of the Jedi Knights & Jenny has a 'movie' crush on the character (not the actor). She's going to keep a few things & EBay the rest. I got a box lot of dolls still in their original boxes & very good shape. Barbie's little sister-Kelly - the small one. She's about 5" tall. I'm keeping 5 of them to send to my granddaughters (one at a time) & EBay the rest. Hubby didn't get anything except hot dogs & sodas. There was so much glass ware & collectibles. I think she must have been a hoarder. There was really so much! I also followed a lady who won a box lot of kitchen stuff & I offered her $5 for one of the hand crank beaters she got in her box. She was surprised, but agreed. That made my day.

I cleaned up my back porch & put away my potting stuff. Everything is all potted up or planted in the ground for the year. Unless somebody gives me new plant, I won't be needing it.

I finally got the cup cemented into the back yard to put my little around clothes line into. It's one of those kind that opens up like an umbrella & closes back down when you're done and I can remove it altogether when I need to mow the grass. I can't wait for wash day now. I haven't been able to hang my clothes outside for years. We just haven't had the place to have one.

Well, I'm tired sisters. Prayers all around.

Hugs and Squishies!!

Kathy

Farmgirl Sister #3983

Take care of the land and it will take care of you.
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2012 :  5:33:15 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

We have been having water issues or a sort. Our water is gravity fed from a spring a quarter mile through the fields to a 350 gallon holding tank in the bottom of the house. For the last month or so the siphon has been failing so we pull the water down with the pump. We still have access to the water if we pull it down,fill the tank and then the pump puts it up in the house. The siphon is failing because someplace the pipe is sucking air. Ineed to find that place and repair the pipe. I am hoping to find the guy that put in the pipe and have him walk it with me or find a dowser so walk the line and find where it is leaking so I can dig it up and repair it. My last option is to have a new line laid. I know that the spring box has plenty of water because Ross, Leo and I walked out yesterday and looked. It is inconvenient but not deadly.

Tonight I took Talie to basketball camp. He will be there until Friday. He went last year and was awarded a little trophy for best progress on learning to be a guard and one for being the best sportsman and encouraging his team mates. The head coach remembered him and addressed him by name. He has freinds from his team taht go and friends he made last year. Of all my children Talie is the most congenial.

I read about Kathy's harvest and think my string beans have not even made an appearance. My brocolli is tall but not even a sign of a head. The carrots as well. However the lettuce is big enough to eat now and I do love to eat fresh lettuce. Roughage here we come. lol

The bees seem to be adjusting to their new home. I see them flying out and in with their little pollen baskets on their legs full.

Hot today. I am so glad that the nights cool down.

Glenda I am glad to see you poke your head in now and again. Linda if you figure out how to post a picture I would like to see the little cabinet you have decorated.

Sweet dreams everyone.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2012 :  6:42:55 PM  Show Profile
Holly, Hope you get your water problems solved and not too big of a job to fix.
We hada great day today, son and daughter came over and we played quite a few games of ladderball. I made steaks and shrimp on the grill with sauteed mushrooms, fresh veggies and dip, steak potatoes. What a great meal, and the weather was nice, in the 70s and breezy. Now I am tired after all that fresh air.
Have a great evening,

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 218 **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Farmgirls over age 50 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page