True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2012 :  6:45:16 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

A lovely day here in the Green Mountains. Temperatures were in the high 70's with a nice breeze. A few clouds in the sky.

I spent time in the morning taking down a chicken fence so I can move it to the new place where the ground is covered with grass instead of dry hard pan. I have some polypropylene netting that I want to put over the top of the yard. I tried to by coffee hooks with flaps on them to keep the netting from blowing out of the hook. They come in three packs and the store only had three packages. I will space those out and use something else to hold inbetween. I am going to attach one side of the netting to the barn and the rest along the fence. I want to be able to take it off the barn in the winter so when the snow falls thundering off the roof it will not rip the netting. Trying to think ahead.

Jan I am glad there is some rain coming my way. We could use some.

Nancy I would like to see pictures of the quilt tops you are finishing. I bet they are beautiful and cheery. I am not fond of tuna so I could clean up from the tuna party. 30 or forty cans. That should decorate your lawn fabulously. Maybe you could get some lawn flamingos and have each bird hold a can. Lawn art you could win a prize.
Several years ago the children outlined a slaveship on the floor of the house. then we laid down and tried to imagine being that cramped in such a small space. The ships were not that big for holding that many people. We learned about the triangle of trade of which the slaves were one leg.

Kathy it looks like you have barred rock chickens. I think they are a very pretty breed. They are reliable. I know of someone who sits and holds his chickens most everyday and pets them. It is soothing to him.

Peaches are ready already! Pennsylvania peaches arrive up here in August. Too bad Georgia is so far away from here. Too far for a road trip.

I think if I washed my car as much as Darlys washes hers mine would fall apart or have a nervous breakdown. I am glad I got my lemons before the thief took them all. I would like to put in a bid for next year. The water situation is in a holding pattern. Instead of the water gravity feeding to our holding tank we must pull it down into the tank with the pump. It is tedious. I called someone from our area who is listed on the dowsing site but he says he does not dowse water he creates stone circles and that is earth energy not water energy. I am trying to get hold of another man I know of who dowses water. I hope he is back north from his winter home in North Carolina.

Tomorrow I go to the trash transfer station to line up volunteers for the 4th of July. The dump is the best place to go because many people visit it on Saturday morning from our town. It is a good social occasion.

Talie is home from basketball camp. He had a great time and is thoroughly exhausted. Ross was so happy to see him.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

beachymom
True Blue Farmgirl

467 Posts

Kathy
Manchester Tennessee
USA
467 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2012 :  05:37:00 AM  Show Profile
Good morning from Maryland, where after the storms passed in the night, we have rather cool un-humid weather! Nice for a change. Temp not as high as some of you have had lately, but with "heat index" (the what??) it seemed over 100 here. We even put a fan over by the chickens. Funny to see them sitting close to the fence with their wings slightly open and their heads back with their eyes closed, just loving the air. I wish I would have taken a picture.

Remember last week when I told you I went to that auction where Jenny scored with that Star Wars box & I got the little dolls? Well, the mostest bestest thing I actually got on that day was the hand held egg scrambler/egg white beater. It was in a box that somebody else won, but I ran up to her and offered her $5 for the beater & she took the deal. Here it is:

Cool, huh?

Sorry, I had to run back to the freezer to pull out my yeast. I forgot I was making bread today. So, it's rising on the stove.

Yesterday Jenny & I picked, cleaned, blanched & froze another 6 pints of green beans. Pulled 3 more tomatoes too. They are the small type. Larger than cherry tomatoes, but not as big as big boys. I like this size and have saved the seeds for so long I no longer remember the name of them. They grow on bushes about 4 feet tall so they are very manageable and compact. And they have such a sweet flavor.

There are still beans on the plants, but some of them are starting to die. I'll be pulling them out next week & planting more for late fall picking. Yes, we do love our green beans. We eat about 2 pints of them every week. Green beans, corn, carrots, tomatoes & salad greens are all about the only veggies my family will eat. Oh, and pumpkin & potatoes & butternut squash, yellow crook neck squash & zucchini. Well, ok - we do get enough veggie. It just doesn't seem like it when I'm trying to get them to try something new.
Just to show you the size of the green beans & tomatoes.

Well, I must run. I'm hanging sheets out on the line to catch some of that free air drying from Mother Nature.

Oh, and don't all pool boys have pony tails? Hhhmmmmm. Where have I seen him before?

Later sisters. Prayers all around.

Hugs and Squishies!!

Kathy

Farmgirl Sister #3983

Take care of the land and it will take care of you.
Go to Top of Page

Marylyn
True Blue Farmgirl

316 Posts

Marylyn
Ellsinore MO
USA
316 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2012 :  06:33:40 AM  Show Profile
Good morning, gfs!!! It is such a beautiful morning...yes, I know it is Saturday and I don't usually post because of working.....well, my supervisor changed the schedule and I am an overnight staff now. I will work 12 hours on Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday .... With a 4 hour shift on Thursday evenings! I know a lot of people don't like working nights; however, with my job it will be so much easier! Honestly! And I put together a project basket to take with me...gotta be quiet at night...so it is a win-win situation for me! Plus the most stressful part of my job is not the mentally disabled, it is training new staff!!! Seriously, and then just when I get to know a nw staff the either quit or get a shift change.....I am beginning to think I am not very likable!!!! Oh, we'll, I am who I am and I don't think I am that grevious to get along with. Anyway, I will be solo on nights...just me and my projects, my iPad, and myself!!! Oh, yeah, my sleeping residents as well!

I just got back inside from helping my DH feed the livestock and from watching him brush the 2000 lb. bull!!!!! The bull was born here and is my husbands pet!! But, alas, we have to sell him this summer. : (. If we don't get some rain, we may have to sell all of the cattle : (. We just don't have enough pasture and we certainly can't afford to feed them grain all summer! Pray for rain...and it still may be too late!

Kathy, I love your green beans...I plant a very short row, because I am the only one who eats them! I have fixed one bunch already! Yummmmmm....I love green beans. Tomatoes here are just now starting to ripen, in a week or two I'll be canning salsa twice a week! Salsa is so versitle...I use it in soups and chili in the winter!

Oh, Holly, I just love peaches, too! I have several peach trees planted in my orchard....I grew up on fresh peaches, canned peaches, peach cobbler ....my trees aren't producing yet, I buy them from a grower close by...but just give me time!!! Glad your son had a great time at baseball camp and glad he is home...makes the house feel right when everyone is where they are supposed to be! Hehehe....

Sooooo, Nancy needs tuna cans......hummmmm, let't see, one, two, three, four......

Patty must really be busy learning about those coffee machines....I can't wait to buy a cup!

Janet, I never realized the weather was so cool in the upper penusila! I had an uncle that moved there decades ago....he, my aunt, and their son are all long gone now. Wow 46 degrees! Wow!

Gotta run ladies!

Love ya's,

Auntie M
Farmgirl # 4062
That which does not kill me, only serves to make me stronger!...unknown to me.
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2012 :  6:15:58 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

We had another lovely day here on the side of our hill. I hear twenty or so miles east of here they had hail. We had about ten minutes of sprinkles this morning and sunshine the rest of the day. At dusk now the sky in clear with a clear crescent moon. The horizon along the tops of the mountains is a lovely rose hue fading to pale yellow and white. The stars should be fabulous for a while tonight. I think eventually we are to have a night rain storm. We can use the rain. The gardens do need a good drink.

I spent the morning at the dump trying to recruit people to help run the games at the fourth of July and to help clean up the next evening. Who knew that the fireworks dropped toilet paper shaped rolls of cardboard that could blow with the wind into grumpy people's fields. So, now we have after fireworks field cleaning up crews to check the grumpy neighbor's fields for litter.

We are working on stretching netting over the top of the turkey pen to help keep them safe. I want to put them out tomorrow. Well, last week really but the pen was not ready. We may finally receive the rain that Jan is pushing our way this next week and I would like them acclimated to the outside when it comes.

Sweet dreams everyone,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2012 :  4:23:04 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

WOW! no one has posted since I did last night. It must be pretty days that everyone spent the day outside and did not get online.

I finished the turkey pen today. Finally put the netting over the top and down some of the sides. I secured it to the fence with staples and to the ground with tent stake staples. We have 25 turkeys. I met a man at the dump yesterday who spoke about wanting to buy some of the poults. I would have liked him to call today before I moved them all outside. It will be much harder to catch them now that they are in a big pen. Even if we donate some to the food shelf I think it would be in our best interest to learn how to bone a turkey and grind the meat to freeze.

Mrs Guinea showed up today. she has been missing for a few days. I have suspected that she is sitting on a clutch for several weeks. I have heard her squawking once a day for a while. she looked possessed today as much as a guinea can look possessed. Mr Guinea was strutting on the tall posts making loud calling noises. I read that guineas are good sitters but not good mothers. When she brings the keets out from hiding I will need to make a decision about whether to leave them with her or scoop them.

A dowser just called about my spring line. He can find water anywhere. the problem is that a spring line has water in it so detecting a leak would be especially difficult. He suggested putting chlorine or sulphur in the spring and following along the suspected path of the line with someone with a good sniffer and find where the smell is rising. I guess that is my next job. We may need to store or buy in water for a week. I think the smelly compound would not hurt the laundry or the dishes.

Sweet dreams everyone,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2012 :  4:59:15 PM  Show Profile
Holly, You have been busy with your farm, for sure. I do hope you find your water problem very soon.
I worked outdoors all day today also, weeded the garden, made more sides for my potato plants that I am experimenting with, had to fill them with lots of topsoil. Watered the gardens, even though it rained alot and even early this morning, the were still a bit on the dry side. My gardens are doing very well, pea plants are as tall as I am and are now getting blossoms, the beans are in full blossom, corn is about hip high,which we say around here is you are going to have a good crop of corn it needs to be knee high by the 4th of July. Everything else is growing before my eyes. I love it!!!! I did get a little sunburned today, but not too bad.
Hope the rest of you are all having a great weekend and wonderful weather.

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

beachymom
True Blue Farmgirl

467 Posts

Kathy
Manchester Tennessee
USA
467 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2012 :  5:49:06 PM  Show Profile
First Sunday in a long time I actually got to rest.

I did have 3 loads of laundry to wash and hang out, but that's not really work is it? I do love the smell of fresh-off-the-line laundry. And I haven't had a clothes line for years - until last month when my wonderful husband put in of those umbrella type in for me. It has a cup cemented in the ground, but when we mow the lawn, I can just fold the umbrella line up and move it away.

Chickens didn't lay today at all. Jenny is worried about them. I told her it's possible the thunder storms may be putting them off and not to worry.

Tomorrow morning, Jenny & I will be picking more green beans & tomatoes. I've been getting a couple of tomatoes every day, and since I'm not quite ready to make salsa, I'll be freezing them to make tomato sauce or spaghetti sauce later. My jalapenos are also ready. They are so long and shiny green! I sliced & diced a couple of them tonight & fried them with some onion & squash for a nummy addition to our Mexican Chicken dinner. I'll be freezing a bunch of those soon too. I also have some kind of yellow peppers that look like bigger jalapenos only yellow....maybe I planted banana peppers and forgot? I don't remember.....hhmmm. I don't even know what to do with them.

My salad garden is almost gone now. I know I have to wait another couple of weeks before I can start the next salad garden because of the heat. I'll start it in the sun, then move it into the shade. I grow most of my salad mix in those window box size pots. You know, one foot wide, three feet long, six inches deep. That's all I need. Since I grow one just for baby spinach & radish and the other two for salad mix. Ooohhh, I just love fresh greens!!

Ok - I've rambled on and on long enough. What are the rest of you doing now?

Later sisters. Prayers all around.

Hugs and Squishies!!

Kathy

Farmgirl Sister #3983

Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2012 :  7:28:33 PM  Show Profile
We are having a sort of lazy weekend.

Yesterday (Saturday) we stopped by the Buick dealer to look at the 2012 LaCrosse. Then went to Mel Cotton's and got DH a good sleeping bag for his backpacking trip last week of July. We also swung by Lowes, after lunch at Erik's Deli/Cafe, to get some things he needed for the drip lines in Oakhurst. Emitters - I think he said. And AA batteries and some nails, etc. Then over to Barnes & Noble to browse books and magazines. Him - 2 magazines and 2 books. Me - 4 of whatever do you call the magazine sized, soft cover "books."? Mine were artsy/crafty.

Then we swung past the Audi dealership to look at the new S4. We will be trading in DH's Acura in the fall sometime and are starting to do "homework." He wants a car with good mileage which also has every bell, whistle and comfort his precious wife could want. Translation: He doesn't want me whining on road trips. I guess that also means we will be making some road trips - hence his desire for decent mileage. My car, being a somewhat thirsty SUV, will be our Oakhurst "hauler."

Today we were really, really lazy. I didn't even turn on the sewing machine. And right now DH is fixing a drip under the kitchen sink.

I did do a load of laundry and now I must fold it and put it away.

I guess everyone is busier than me right now. Everything has settled down here - at least for the moment.

Hope everyone has a wonderful and productive week, balmy weather and beautiful sunsets.

Sister #3284 - on her Tippie Toes - oxox, Darlys

Chocolate Kisses ...

That is the best ... to laugh with someone because you both think the same things are funny.
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2012 :  05:37:24 AM  Show Profile
Kathy the green beans and tomatoes look great. I am not growing any green beens this year. We have lots of tomatoes right now and they are looking very good. I love the beater. You did good.

Marilyn the hardest part of a job is often the people we have to work with. Sounds like things will be better on the shift you are on now. At least there will be peace of mind. When I worked as a mail carrier I found it so hard to have to deal with some of the others. My supervisor was also hitting on me all the time. I was the only woman carrier back then when it was not an usual job for women.

I will pray that you get some much needed rain. It will be hard for your DH to give up that bull.

Holly, yeah, bet the grumpy neighbors don't mind watching the beautiful fireworks... they are just too lazy and crabby to clean up a few things off their lawns. Oh well, let them live in their grumpiness. I would rather be happy and helpful.
I read that you are working hard as usual. I would love to see those turkeys. We get to see some wild ones here sometimes.

I went to see The Avengers movie yesterday with my DH. There was lots of action which is not particularly to my liking. But seeing the Marvel Comic characters and watching a film with no filthy language was good. It is mysterious how Hollywood can make really good movies like this and some others without a bunch of cuss words. There wasn't one bad word in the whole movie. How refreshing!

It rained really well here for about 30 minutes yesterday late afternoon. The humidity was awful so the rain was very pleasant and helpful. Looks cloudy outside and it is humid so we may be in for more rain today. I hope so.

Mr. Kitty found a frog and didn't know what to do when the little fellow kept hoping around. The frog got away as Mr. Kitty just watched. I think it hit him in the nose once while it was jumping. So funny to watch.

Take care and have a good day, ladies.

Hugs and squeezies,

Nancy

Make everyday a celebration of the heart.
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2012 :  05:42:17 AM  Show Profile
Kathy the green beans and tomatoes look great. I am not growing any green beens this year. We have lots of tomatoes right now and they are looking very good. I love the beater. You did good.

Marilyn the hardest part of a job is often the people we have to work with. Sounds like things will be better on the shift you are on now. At least there will be peace of mind. When I worked as a mail carrier I found it so hard to have to deal with some of the others. My supervisor was also hitting on me all the time. I was the only woman carrier back then when it was not an usual job for women.

I will pray that you get some much needed rain. It will be hard for your DH to give up that bull.

Holly, yeah, bet the grumpy neighbors don't mind watching the beautiful fireworks... they are just too lazy and crabby to clean up a few things off their lawns. Oh well, let them live in their grumpiness. I would rather be happy and helpful.
I read that you are working hard as usual. I would love to see those turkeys. We get to see some wild ones here sometimes.

I went to see The Avengers movie yesterday with my DH. There was lots of action which is not particularly to my liking. But seeing the Marvel Comic characters and watching a film with no filthy language was good. It is mysterious how Hollywood can make really good movies like this and some others without a bunch of cuss words. There wasn't one bad word in the whole movie. How refreshing!

It rained really well here for about 30 minutes yesterday late afternoon. The humidity was awful so the rain was very pleasant and helpful. Looks cloudy outside and it is humid so we may be in for more rain today. I hope so.

Mr. Kitty found a frog and didn't know what to do when the little fellow kept hoping around. The frog got away as Mr. Kitty just watched. I think it hit him in the nose once while it was jumping. So funny to watch.

Take care and have a good day, ladies.

Hugs and squeezies,

Nancy

Go to Top of Page

beachymom
True Blue Farmgirl

467 Posts

Kathy
Manchester Tennessee
USA
467 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2012 :  05:57:06 AM  Show Profile
Good morning from Maryland, where the air is cool, the sun is shinning and the chickens are clucking-loudly, hoping for eggs today (none yesterday-Jenny says they are Christian Chickens & kept the Sabbath holy by not 'working').

We had to harvest our potatoes early because all the tops were drying up and falling over. When we started dumping over the big pots, we found those really big white cut worms. No wonder the tops were dying. Gave the worms to the chickens and set the nice new potatoes aside to cure. We did find this little red potato that looks just like someone's bottom:
Just too cute!

I've been busy practicing for my cake decorating class. This week was sugar flowers.

I will be glad when this class is over, but in two week, the new class starts - gum paste and sugar flowers. I'm hoping to learn a lot. Hoping husband doesn't eat too much of my homework!!

I'm going out to the garden to pick more green beans and tomatoes. I try to pick about every other day, but since the chicken coop is situated inside my garden gate, I'm in my garden every day - pulling weeds & old greens to give to the chickens. Almost sick of green beans, but I know we'll eat them over the year.

Does anybody have a recipe for a granola/protein type bar? They are getting so expensive. I could probably make the same thing in a cookie with peanut butter and oats. I need the protein because my body doesn't absorb protein normally, so I have to have some about every two hours. I usually just grab a cheese stick or pb on grahams, but you know, I would like to have some kind of bar I could make myself. Jenny suggested I just make Tole House Cookies and just add PB chips along with the chocolate chips. Hmmm...Maybe that would work if I use Splenda instead of sugar.

Later sisters. Prayers to all who need them--all around.

Hugs and Squishies!!

Kathy

Farmgirl Sister #3983

Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2012 :  09:05:02 AM  Show Profile
wow - everyone is so busy! I have been playing at working, but nothing is getting done. Kathy, do you ever sleep!

Holly, I wish I could raise poultry. I love reading about your experiences. At my age and with hubby and I both having health issues I will just continue to purchase fresh eggs from my friend Julie, and get chicken breasts and turkey legs and breasts from the butcher. I least I know they are locally grown, but I'm not sure what they have been fed. If I could get someone to finish putting in the fence we started before Darwin's stroke I would get another minature goat and a few sheep along with a young calf or two. Pipe dreams!

I found a book at my local library that you gals might be interested in. It is titled Gardening For A Lifetime. By Sydney Eddison. The main idea of the book is to get the reader to start thinking about how you want to garden as you get older. What can you live with, will you be able to hire someone to help you. how big or small do you want your bed, things like that. The book gets a little tiresome as Eddison tends to go on and on about her many, many, different gardens. However It is worth reading.

Now I am reading Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver. This is one of Mary Janes assigned books for a kitchen badge. I am not ready to say how I feel about the book yet as I have quite a bit to read and digest yet. Has anyone else read it?

Oops - this chickie poos actually made a misstake. I said i got Goergia peaches when they actually are out of Missouri; right on the Arkensas border. My Goergia peaches will be here in another week or two. I live about 20 minutes from a grower who sells at farmer's markets and her hubby goes to a wholesale warehouse in the south somewhere and bring wonderful things into northern Iowa for us to enjoy.

what kind of badges are you chicks working on? i am planning to have my prayer shawl finished this week and then will get my expert crochet badge. It will soon be to hot for me to be outside all day so will start sewing again in the afternoons. I want to get those darn beanbags out of the way so I can get a doll made. Anyone have any ideas on how I can make some showy but simple Christmas decorations?

Kathy, you are making me hungry for greenbeans and tomatoes. Because of my bones I can no longer stoop for any length of time to pick and then stand all day to clean and can row veggies. I buy my green beans, beets, and peas from a grower, but just enough for one meal at a time. I have tons of tomato plants, potatoes, onions, squash, cucumbers, and pumpkins. I won't have much ready for the canners for another 6 to 8 weeks yet.

I have to tell you about our awesome Saturday. Darwin and I went on our annual tractor ride. There were 113 antique tractors who met and rode from 8 am to 5 pm with plenty of stops for food and friendship. this is Iowa entertainment - if you consider going 10 or 12 miles an hour on hard surfaced roads causing local traffic to be patient or take gravel roads entertainment giggle! There are rides all over Iowa in the summer time. If you gals decide to get together at our place in 2014 we will create a tractor ride just for you - tractors supplied of course!

I pulled my fish pond apart a few hours ago for cleaning so i had better get back outside and finish so my 3 fish can have nice fresh water. taa taa chickies. Work hard/play harder

Edited by - Thelma on Jun 25 2012 09:07:35 AM
Go to Top of Page

Lady farmer
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Doris
Ontario
Canada
1 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2012 :  3:38:31 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone, I am new to this forum. I am a 52 yr old widow from Canada. Glad to know I'm not the only one out here.

The Lord is my Shephard, I shall not want!
Go to Top of Page

Marylyn
True Blue Farmgirl

316 Posts

Marylyn
Ellsinore MO
USA
316 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2012 :  3:57:57 PM  Show Profile
Welcome, Doris!!! There are several of us here....we're friends, we support each other, we share our days, we share our woes and aches and pains, we support each other....welcome, again...don't be shy...share who you ae with us and relax, you're among friends!

Love,

Auntie M
Farmgirl # 4062
That which does not kill me, only serves to make me stronger!...unknown to me.
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2012 :  4:24:34 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Doris, looking forward to getting to know you. I am from Michigan, 61, married with 3 grown children and 1 grandson.

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2012 :  6:01:07 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

I am hearing on the radio today that Florida is having a hurricane. I guess it was not near Nancy or flew by so quickly because you only received 30 minutes of rain. I am glad you are well.

I read Animal, Vegetable and MIneral by Barbara Kingsolver. I liked some of it. I thought there were pieces of it that were hard to read as in writing style. It seems to have been inspirational to a lot of people. I did go to the cheese queen website and start to make mozzarella cheese from her kit. Now I have expanded and bought the cookbook so I can make several different types of cheese. I did find it interesting that she dug a bushel or two of potatoes and expected them to last through the year. We eat five pounds of potatoes at a meal. The restaurant that she went to towards the end of the book in Barre Vermont that used all local produce and locally killed meat was put out of business by state regulations because by law all meat served in a restaurant needs to be killed and cut in a state inspected slaughter house. There are not many in Vermont and it adds considerably to the cost of the meat to have it done.

Thelma- I think you are confused about your physical abilities. In one line you tell me that you can no longer stoop for any length of time and then you tell me that you pulled apart your fish pond to clean it. Is this a case of priorities?. (I do believe you about bending over and such and am just jerking your strings, tone of voice does not always translate in type or words. Do know I think you are wonderful) I think you are funny. We have CSA's around here. It means community supported agriculture. People buy shares at the beginning of the growing season and then get a box of food each week. We do not do this not enough in a box for a family our size. Some of the CSA's are good and some are outrageously priced. some of the farmers who claim to be organic around here charge an arm and a leg for their produce. One stand at the farmer's market wants $7 a pound for ground beef. How can a person feeding a family afford that? I could get on my soapbox about the pricing at the Montpelier Farmer's Market.

The tractor ride sounds fun. I think people around here would have a good time. I think rounding up 113 tractors that are big enough to pull a wagon would be hard to come by. Our tractor is big enough to run a baler but most people have little garden tractors. I would like to find out more about it.

Today it rained. YAHHHHHH!!!!! The garden had become very dry. I took the three teens to the doctor for their third HPV shot. We had considered not doing it but then read that HPV could be transmitted by just rubbing up and down each other and not intercourse and we changed our minds. Then I took Jarrett to work and that pretty much shot my day. Oh you know I did barn chores and house chores and such but nothing that I could say wow I finished.

I have been thinking that if Glenda is going traveling to visit her children and then on the Maine cruise and she has that new Iphone that we should be having a virtual trip with dear Glenda as the tour guide and entertainment personality. lol

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499

Edited by - Tall Holly on Jun 25 2012 6:04:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2012 :  6:15:52 PM  Show Profile
Hey Doris - welcome! We are delighted to have you among us. Two or three more posts and you'll be an "old-timer." Ooops! Well, okay, pun intended. I can say that as I have at least one and maybe 2 children - I lose track of their ages - older than you. We do have a lot of fun here ... and support each other beyond the norm. We all have our stories -- some struggles -- some joys. And we are connected in our sharing and prayers. There are a few of us who are un-young-er than the others. I'm 69 going on 39 (except for my knees, back and speed). Am enjoying husband #3. He's the keeper. I have four children, 10 grandchildren, 3 of them with spouses and 1 with a significant other ... and 5 great grandchildren and one more due in September. In that mix is a blended family --- and just talking about the offspring makes me tired. I am a quilter and crafter. Made my first doll with encouragement from two of our dollmakers on here. I am also a wanna-be gardener ... I'll realize that ambition someday. However, I do have a legendary lemon tree. Ask just about anyone here.

I would suggest you read back several pages and you'll be right at home from the git-go.

Watch out for that Gypsy (Glenda) though .... if there is a pool boy in the neighborhood, she's got her tip ready.

By the way, gfs ... I got my car washed today and driving it out of the washing machine thingy to the dryer person ... was this amazing looking young man ... with a ponytail! I almost choked! I was going to ask him if I could take his picture so you would believe me but he disappeared. Dang!

Sister #3284 - on her Tippie Toes - oxox, Darlys

Chocolate Kisses ...

That is the best ... to laugh with someone because you both think the same things are funny.
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2012 :  6:22:18 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
HOLLY, HOLLY, guess what was waiting for me when I got home today...this huge box....Girlfriend I can't believe you sent me that box with all that yarn, basket and Vermont honey. I just can't believe the card either....I just cried and cried after reading it and seeing all that you sent me. Thank you so much, you really gave me a great birthday present and made my day today. I am so blessed to be able to call you friend. Thank you again...you are one very special lady.

Jim and I finally got away for the weekend. We road motorcycles to a place near the beach that is owned by a friend of ours in is on the river and they were having racing boats this weekend. It was fun but six hours on a bike one way is a long ride. I enjoyed myself but was so good to get home yesterday. I am enclosing a couple of pics of the weekend.

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...

My blog: http://ourgeorgiafarm.blogspot.com

Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/pgmcgee/#
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2012 :  7:32:10 PM  Show Profile
Penny, so glad you got a weekend to go riding on your motorcycles. Looks like a great place and alot of fun. That was a great birthday gift from Holly. She is such a wonderful person, we all love her,as well as you. How is the new job going?
Holly, Just your chores is a days worth of hard work. You are a true survivor. Do you grow and raise most of your food that you eat? Glad you finally got some rain.
Hope the Floridians are all safe and out of danger of that hurricane.
Darlys,you need to be a bit quicker to take a picture of the dryer person. Hurry and get your car dirty so you can go back there, but make sure your camera is aimed right at him!!!! Click, then ask!!!!
It got down to 39 degrees last night, but warmed up nicely to 75. Still breezy, so that makes it feel alot cooler,but pleasant. The gardens like the cool nights and warm days. I went and got more plants today, mums and lavender. I planted all the lavender in a big pot and hope it grows well. I have it right by the back door, so you smell it when entering and leaving the house. I am hoping it keep the skunks and rabbits away.
Well, time for bed. Have a great evening,

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2012 :  03:02:14 AM  Show Profile
Nancy, Any progress on your save the lawn project? Glad to hear you are enjoying some break from the humidity with the rain here and there. I have heard great reviews on The Avengers, glad to hear you enjoyed it, too. Our dogs are always interested in the tree frogs we have around here. The unanticipated jumping keeps them wary of them like Mr. Kitty.

Janet, Your weather sounds down right perfect right now. Enjoy it for the rest of us who are still waiting for the good stuff! It is so rewarding to see your garden "happy" isn't it? The weather sounds very agreeable for your veggies. I have never been successful at growing corn and considering that is what my dad did for a living all his life, it is a bit embarrassing. Knee high by $th of July sounds just about right!

Holly, You never cease to amaze us. Or at least me. How do you find the time to keep your farm running, your children occupied - in worthwhile endeavors, even!, researching the care of your asst. of livestock, building new pens or safeguarding the older ones, making unusual and creative works of art AND doing such lovely acts for so many peole. I know your present meant the world to Penny. It was beautiful. So glad you are part of my life. Sounds like a lot of work for Fourth of July. I'm sure everyone enjoys the fireworks. It's always a few who do the lion's share of the work. Funny how you can find grouches everywhere you look, isn't it? When the HPV vaccine became available I really twisted my daughter's arm to get it. She was the first one at our doctor's office to receive it. Apparently the shots are quite uncomfortable and get increasingly worse ... But, I really consider it worth it. Glad you agree and that your children have gone through the series.

Kathy, Love your handbeater. Great find. I remember using one all the time when I made zucchini bread almost daily as a teenager. Nothing works better. I have the one I used to use, and still use it. Your heat index sounds horrible. I can imagine the chickens slowly turning in front of the fan, letting it ruffle their feathers, as they enjoy the breeze! You and Jenny have been busy with the beans, buy boy oh boy, do they look great! Your garden is producing some beautiful stuff. I think your mystery peppers will be much more mild than jalapenos. Probably very well suited to being included in egg or tomato dishes when you want some extra zing. Your frosting flowers look perfect. How fun it must be to make such pretty goodies. But, I'm sure it is tough for your husband to have all that pretty stuff around if he is trying to keep a sweet tooth in check.

Darlys, Enjoy shopping for that new car. Are you buying before winter? I drive a thirsty Suburban. Not very green, but big enough to pull a horse trailer and oh so comfortable. Ihave commented that if I could pull the front seats out for the living room I would. They just "fit" me really well. Comfort on road trips is very important, I don't blame you for wanting some bells and whistles!

Thelma, Way to go with your badges! I haven't earned a single one. Just haven't even thought about it. Hmm, maybe this winter? I'd love to see your prayer shawl ... Your tractor rides sound awesome. Are you all wearing wide brimmed hats to protect you from the sun? It sounds like so much fun visitng along the way. Are you kinda sore from the jostling the next day? How many more are you planning this summer?

Doris, Let me join in in welcoming you. I am 50, two adult kids, three grands (no contact, sad, sad, sad) and one terrific husband. We live on 28 acres near Spokane, WA, with horse and dogs. I have a big garden of veggies and flowers that I love to fuss in, along with painting, sewing and handcrafts when my arthritis allows. Glad you are with us, hope you stay.

Penny, so glad you had such a wonderful birthday surprise from Holly. It looks amazing! Your weekend looks like it was very exciting. That boat is airborne! Are they really loud? Six hours would have done me in ... numb butt! Keep up the great job at your job, gf. You are the best.

Well, my dd found a job and it looks like her boyfriend is very close to accepting a position, too. Kate -dd- starts on Wednesday. She is looking forward to it with great relief. She has been quite worried about finding something after having looked for full time work here for three years without success. Still, miss her. Probably always will. But the time with dh is fantastic. We are the kind who try not to dwell on what isn't and find the best parts of what is. He is great at helping me with that. Now if we could just make it so he could be around a bit more ...

Marianne
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2012 :  05:21:33 AM  Show Profile
Raining like crazy here and will be for the next 4 days. Debby the tropical depression is here. The frogs in my backyard, forest area are living it up with all the croaking. It sounds like a big orchestra out there. We didn''t get any high winds or tornados as have other parts of Florida. The rain has been enough inches to flood some areas. I am okay here.

Welcome Doris. Glad to have you with us. You will find us to be a fun, loving group of ladies. Always ready to listen and help. Funny and crazy, too.
I have two children. They both live in California where I am from originally. I have 5 granddaughters, no GS's, but I only see 3 of them. I am 70 , have been married to my second husband for 25 years come this Dec. He is a jewel and a really good man. I have recently had the great pleasure of meeting with Darlys in CA while visiting my daughter and her family. What a fun time we had. She is such a terrific lady. I like to make dolls, sew quilts?, hike, read and enjoy everyday the best I can. I love these fabulous ladies and look forward to my time with them.

Well I am off to my sewing group today. Leon sprayed and added some stuffed to the grass which may help it. I don't think we will have to be concerned about watering for a while. I mean, there is enough water coming out of the sky to fill a big rain barrel.

Hugs and squeezies,

Nancy

Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2012 :  05:31:26 AM  Show Profile
Checking in!!!! There is just so much going on in my life right now...and then every time I think I have a minute to get on the computer, my granddaughters are busy on it, so I let them be. My daughter is still here from California. Her hubby was here for 5 days and just left yesterday. Jake is heading to California on a custom bike with a 3 friends. He built 2 of the bikes himself. The other 2 bikes have both had issues. Hubby had to drive 240 miles one way yesterday to pick up one of the bikes. As they were all traveling the second bike started having issues so they loaded it up in the back of out truck. So all four wayward guys and their bikes are here at the house. They will work on bikes today and then they plan on heading west. This mama does not like the idea, and I know for a fact one other mother feels the same. <shrug>. But, I love Jake and am proud of him, and his talents. And it is kinda fun being "den mother" again.

Before my Barista training today, I need to butcher quail. We have over 70 mature quail out in pens. 50+ in the brooder that are about 2 weeks old. We have 80+ hatched out yesterday that will need moved to the brooder today. We have 10 ducks and a turkey running around in the back yard, not to mention the 5 chickens. I still have 250 quail eggs in the incubator. It is no wonder some days I just feel overwhelmed.
Well, I will try to check in again soon. Have a wonderful day. I miss hanging out with everyone!

So Marylyn... how many more days? :)

Patty #1840

http://ladygonegreen.blogspot.com/

A rind is a terrible thing to waste. Compost.

When they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, “Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted.”
-Jesus in John 6:12 NIV Bible
Go to Top of Page

beachymom
True Blue Farmgirl

467 Posts

Kathy
Manchester Tennessee
USA
467 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2012 :  06:00:21 AM  Show Profile
Thelma - I'm working on the crochet & knit badges at the same time. I'm doing two mystery afghans. I have printed out a couple of other things I'm working on. And of course the cake decorating one. Oh, that class is fun!! Eating the leftovers is great!

My dearest friend in the whole wide world is driving up from Georgia next month and will bring me a case of peaches (first YUM!! second YIKES). I'll have to eat them all real fast or pass them out amongst my girls. She'll also bring me more pecans for my stash of nuts.

Penny - What a ride you must have had. 6 hours on a motorcycle! I have a Vespa & more than a few miles has me exhausted. My hands just can't squeeze the gas handle....and the brakes. But what a great boat showing it must have been. Then to return home to find that big box of yarn & honey from Holly. How great was that!?!

Holly - How wonderful of you to have sent Penny so much love. You're the best..........are you sure the pony tailed guy got away?

Daryls - better get that lemonaid started!

Glenda - If you can hear us, please let us in on your grand adventure! The rest of us are stuck on our 'farms' for now. But you be sure you enjoy yourself. You earned it.

Janet-I have a huge pot of lavender right inside my garden gate so every time I enter or leave, I can run my hand over it & it give my some of it's beautiful scent.

Doris - Welcome to the wildest bunch of women there are. Just jump right in but hang on tight. We go on some wild adventures, share heartbreaks and loves, children and chickens, books and pony tailed young men (Daryls!). Auntie M has a wild convertible that goes way too fast and picks up way too many hitch hikers (especially if they have pony tails?). But I guarantee you'll never have more fun. Are you ready?

I have to take Jenny's dog, Star, to the vet today. She is only 5, but is starting to have trouble with her teeth. We have had to blend up her dog food all week so she can eat it. I think it's as simple as having a tooth pulled, but it has Jenny all upset. She has to work today and that makes it all the worse.

Put up another 8 pints of green beans yesterday. They are taking up so much space in my freezer, I think that when I get the final gleaning of green beans off the bushes, I will just pull the whole bunch our & can them properly. I can can them in pint jars as easily as freeze them in pint bags. I'll be canning the jalapenos anyway. Ohhhh...:O maybe I'll slip some jalapenos into the beans. I'll take a picture of the yellow things & post it maybe tomorrow. You girls who know peppers better than I can tell me what I planted. I really thought I only planted bell peppers and jalapenos. Could they have cross pollinated into some freakish new pepper?

Well, I'm off to my sewing room to make a couple of aprons. Later sisters. Prayers all around.

Hugs and Squishies!!

Kathy

Farmgirl Sister #3983

Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2012 :  07:48:18 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Doris.

Holly, I can understand why you are getting mixed signals from me. I try not to deal on my health issues and wish I could erease yesterday's post. our bodies are so unique and when they begin to wear out they have their own agenda. I am unable to bend over or stand in one spot for more than a few minutes, but I can walk for miles and miles and miles with no problems. My fish pond is only 100 gallons and I clean most of it on my knees. Peas and beans just aren't worth the discomfort. Now thats all I am going to say about my health issues for a very long time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Penny - what are you going to do with all of Holly's beautiful yarn? I gave so much yarn away when I cleaned out my mother-in-laws house and people made good use of it, and our church ladies made hats for the poor.

We are just doing one tractor ride this year. There is another one going out at the county fair, but we have other commitments that day.

Kathy do you drive your own bike? I married into a family of riders but our riding days are long gone. Our youngest son works for Harley Davidson. Both of the boys ride when they can. Their ladies enjoy riding too.

Well chickie poos, the weather is cool this morning with a heatwave predicted for the rest of the week. I am going to take my coffee out by the pond and relax to the sound of gurgling water and watch the fish . Taa taa - grab that golden ring today.

Edited by - Thelma on Jun 26 2012 07:50:30 AM
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2012 :  6:49:29 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

We do grow all of our own meat except hot dogs, which is a personal favorite of Taliesin. Vegetables are somewhat problematic. I read with interest when Kathy writes that she is putting in pints of beans. We do quart bags in the freezer. Several years ago I had bumper crops of carrots and green beans. I put in more than 50 quart bags of carrots and the same with beans. It has been along time since I have been that successful in the garden. I am hoping that this year with the raised beds I will again be that successful.

It has been cool here in the mornings as well. Today I lit the woodstove. I do not like to be cold in the house. So, after I lit the stove I made bread. My good yeast is missing so, I had to use the individual packages which are far slower than the bulk yeast I usually use. In any case the rolls are delicious.

Nancy since you are having rain it gives us that much longer to save up and ship those tuna cans or a reasonable imitation. I promise not to send you a box of them unless you really need them. I agree that it would be funny for everyone to send a box full to you.

Patty I guess by the running commentary of quail butchering days that you will reach your goal of 300 birds in the freezer for dinner over the winter. Will your daughter take the coffee truck home with her or will you run it yourself? I too would be nervous about my son heading west on a motorcycle if he were still healing from hitting a mattress on one. He is resilient. Good for him and you. You raised a fine son.

Penny I am glad you like the yarn and basket. I am glad you and dh got away for the weekend to relax and have a good time. You are worth it.

Thelma you are the best. Do everything you still can. I believe I am younger than you by several years but I am now noticing limitations and while I try to take them in stride they are momentarily distressing. I hope I am as good as you when I get further along in years. We all are doing well for who we are think of the alternative.

Well, we are having a new waterline put in from the spring to the house. The men come tomorrow with the back hoe. The pump has been pulling more and more air and less and less water. I tried to pull down the water for more than an hour today and the level in holding tank only rose two inches. Usually I could fill it to the top in less than an hour. Soon the problem will be solved. A small piece of the problem in replacing the pipe to the house is that Mrs Guinea is sitting on her eggs right in the path that the bucket loader would need to drive to on to lay the pipe near the house. adn the turkey pen which I just finished this past weekend is in the way as well. We have talked about piecing the pipe and finishing the job in the fall when the turkeys are in the freezer.

Raining off and on all day.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 218 **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Farmgirls over age 50 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page