thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2012 :  06:49:02 AM  Show Profile
First of all I apologize for being so MIA lately. (Marylyn, my first post was page 63...and not a whole lot of the gals back then are still posting. :() I have been terribly busy. My daughter and I are working on the Coffee Truck business and it has been challenging and taking alot of time. Today the health department comes for a visit. I think we will be ready. We will finish up the plumbing this morning. The pastry taste testing is going to make me gain and gain lbs I am sure...lol.
Now I am battling chicken "worms". Can you believe it? I had a couple broody hens out at my moms and after several dips in cold water. they would dry off and go right back to a nest. So in an attempt to break their broodiness I was going to move them to my house. So while Marylyn was visiting, we went out to get them and relocate them here. We loaded them into the back of the truck and when we got ready to leave, I noticed worms in their feces. So we are medicating them with Ivomec. We would have never noticed as the birds are free range. SO all of the chickens will be treated now. I have never seen worms in chickens...but now Marylyn and I will both recognize them...lol.

Green beans, peaches and plums are all ripe for canning, another excuse for me being MIA. Just having the additional family in my home has been a challange. I love them all dearly and wish they could stay forever, but there is alot more sticky to wipe off the table now, alot more laundry, more dishes, along with more kisses and hugs. The other night, I went out to make sure all the birds were in bed and gather up the last of the quail eggs right at dark and Lily (3 yrs old) followed me out to help. I am sure she was just "making things work" like 3 yr olds do when she closed the door on the quail coop and hooked the latch. It took me a few minutes to figure out how to open it with a putty knife that was laying in there. I am sure it would have been awhile before anyone thought about me being MIA. I had to laugh, the little stinker!

Yesterday was a very sad day. I lost my "best friend" of 16 years. Touchdown was a pound puppy and we aquired him when the twins were 9 years old. He had been a wonderful dog. My heart is breaking. I will miss him terribly. Hubby referred to him as my "Velcro". So I was in tears most of the day yesterday.

Marianne- Good luck on your mammogram. I said a prayer for you. It takes 17 days for my quail eggs to hatch Marianne. But I think bobwhite quail take 22-24 days.

Kathy- I am glad you survived the storms. We are praying for rain here in Illinois, it is so dry. Our home in Ohio made it through the storms and the power was lost for only a short time. I see on the news that some Ohioans are still without power and it will be days before some power is restored.

Bunny- I am glad your hair turned out good. I sent my daughter after some hair color and it is no longer a light blondish/red... it is RED now. I am thinking it will wash out eventually...lol.

Jan- Your new adventure sounds great! Working for your son...lol. What fun!

Darlys- The boys did make it to California, with a few problems on the way. Buy Jake being the bike mechanic he is, resolved all the issues, and they arrived safely. They are currently in Lake Elsinore CA. The boy from Belgium riding with them has to be back by the 9th, so it will be a short trip out there.

Glenda- I have missed you. :)

Nancy- I hope your month was fantastic as FGOTM! I am going to call you soon.

Holly- When guinea hatch, they look like my quail only larger. I have some just starting to look like guinea. They take 28 days to hatch... they tie up my incubator too long, like duck eggs..lol.

Thelma- So sorry to hear of the death of your friend. I notice lately I attend alot of funeral these days. Possibly because I am older, but I am sure because I now live where I grew up and knew so many many local persons. I am so excited for you to have completed your prayer shawl. I have a book on making them. It is on my to-do-list. I want to learn how to recycle yarn from sweaters in the thrift store. I have read how to do it, but can not seem to figure it out.

Marylyn- I loved our visit and hated to see it end! I can't wait for the next visit!

Well off to hook up a commercial coffee brewer here in the house along with a water filter. I think I can do this myself. :)

Marylyn at Rural King Farm store. Taking advantage of the free popcorn!

MY "woman's best friend" Touchdown. Rest in Peace

Patty #1840

http://ladygonegreen.blogspot.com/

A rind is a terrible thing to waste. Compost.

When they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, “Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted.”
-Jesus in John 6:12 NIV Bible

Edited by - thebyrdhaus on Jul 03 2012 07:07:47 AM
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2012 :  08:04:13 AM  Show Profile
Ohm, Patty, so sorry about touchdown. He looks like a good dog. I know how hard it is to lose that part of your family. Know you are in my prayers. That must have been so fun having Marylyn there for a visit. How wonderful to meet so many great farmgirls!!!!! When do you plan on starting your business? Is your daughter going to be there for the summer helping you? Good luck with the inspections. I am sure you will pass with flying colors!!!

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2012 :  08:45:24 AM  Show Profile
Patty, so sorry about Touchdown. I know many of us know what you are going through. I still miss my Scooby. I pray we will see all our treasured furry friends again when we too move on from this life. Touchdown will be waiting for you for sure.
BTW, love your picture. Good luck on the inspection.

Marianne, will be saying a prayer your mammogram turns out fine.

Kathy love the tractor picture. Every far girl needs a tractor to call her own.

Well need to get going. I'm going to work on putting my jacket together today. A weeks worth of work will either pay off or turn into a table runner. "snicker" I'm kind of making this up as I go. I am hoping my jacket will be reversible. Worst case is not. I wish it was cooler outside so I could actually wear it when I'm done.

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com
www.bunnyrose.com
My shops:
Handmade stuff http://www.etsy.com/shop/CuriousOrangeCat?ref=ss_profile
Fabric www.bunnyroseco.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2012 :  2:27:02 PM  Show Profile
Marylyn, how fun of a trip you must have had!! And what a great photo Patty posted of you. Another redhead or at least some red in your hair. How many redheads do we have? Penny, Glenda, you, now Patty...I know I am missing some. Anyway, it was a treat for you and Patty. Color me green with jealousy.

Patty thanks for the information about the quail eggs. So, I guess any day now... And for a few questions about your business. What are you calling it? I recently read that food trucks are the new hot thing! Pastry testing sounds so good! I have a tremendous sweet tooth and baked bread-like items are my favorites. Do you already have a route or a spot to park? I just know you will do well. So, with your household spilling over with love and chaos, how do you keep up with all your quail? Loved hearing about being locked in/out by the three year old. So cute. They are just so busy, aren't they. So sorry that you lost Touchdown. I know how that feels. There are a few very special animals that can play an important role in our lives. They really leave an empty spot. Maybe it is nice that you are so busy right now... So sorry for your pain.

Bunny, your quilted jacket looks like it will be a masterpiece. Can't wait to see it.

Thanks for everyone's well wishes about my mammogram. So silly to get so worked up about it, I know. But, I did nevertheless. Glad that it is over, well except for the waiting. I don't expect anything but an "All's clear." The xray tech did take some extra film of that one breast that was iffy last time. Hmmm. She said, "I want to take another picture of your right breast. I think I can get more breast tissue to scan." I said Ok, all the while wondering where she was gonna find more breast tissue ...

Right now, I have stuff strewn all over my house. My purse, ironing board, a project, dishes to be loaded. You know, out of control. And I am pooped. Still have the farrier coming so I probably should just rest to make sure I have enough energy to deal with gathering the pony-poos.

Well, gals, thanks again for being here. I couldn't do it without ya!
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

Sugar Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

108 Posts

Pamela Jean
Sugarloaf Ca
USA
108 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2012 :  3:50:17 PM  Show Profile
Hi ladies, just got my first apron pattern. Now to sew it, better said than done. Hope you all have a wonderful, safe 4th!

Pam

Stand for What's Right!

Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2012 :  5:40:06 PM  Show Profile
Hi my friends!! We had a big thunderstorm early this morning, then a few drops of rain when I got up, by 11:00 the sun came out and it became really humid with high dew points and 80 degrees. At least we have a breeze, but it might be a little sticky sleeping tonight. Only a couple more days and then it will cool down again.We just are not used to so many hot days.
Marianne, glad your mammogram is behind you now and praying all comes out good. I too have fibrous breasts, but less now that I am through with menopause. They would flare up just before my periods and hurt.
I hope all of you have a wonderful day tomorrow. We are usually in bed by time the fireworks go off. We can see them from our house, but we get enough fireworks starting the week before the 4th and goes a few weeks after. To me it is a waste of money.
Have a great evening,

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2012 :  6:00:33 PM  Show Profile
Well, dear Patty, miss me no more, here I am. Gee Whiz I wish I had just 10% of your energy. I am so so sorry about your losing your sweet dog. What a picture!! Such soulful eyes. I know how you feel, I have lost more than one beloved pet and it is always so gutwrenching I swear I will never have another, but here I am with two little shelter dolls and it would break my heart to lose either of them.
I have read most of the back pages lying on my sofa while vicariously enjoying your busy lives. I have planned to do a few things over the next few months hoping I can get by for 6 months without the next surgeries, the doc said I could if I could put up with the discomfort. Well the last few days have been awful. I know there are several of you gfs who deal with chronic pain, and now I can sure relate, but I do hope getting rid of the offending ovary and repairing all the plumbing will fix me up. Now I've got a knee and back issue, so seems like its all catching up with me at once. We actually got a little rain and a break from the sweltering heat but I did not feel like working outside. I will leave again tomorrow and be busy elsewhere most of the rest of the month.
Patty and Marylyn, looks like you two had a blast. What fun! Thelma hope you are feeling okay. I am so sorry for the loss of your friend. Jan and Penny, you two gals are burning the candle at both ends, too. Take time to rest and smell the flowers!!

Bunny I see you are posting again, I went to your store and ordered a couple of the crocheted flowers. We talked about that months ago and I did not know you had finished them. I really like your new site, very creative and fun. You are so talented.
Now we need a picture of your new chocolate hair.

Kathy I think you and Patty are tied for who can get the most stuff done. The cake decorating looks like so much fun. I have
signed myself up for a two day class on carding fleece and learning to spin. Probably won't get into that but they talk about it so much on some of the other threads and I've always wondered how do they do that--plus I have an antique spinning wheel bought at an estate sale about 30 years ago and I'm still hauling it around. I don't even know why I bought it, I guess I thought it would look good on the hearth. And I hope to learn a little about fiber, as I am seriously considering goats as lawnmowers and they might as well do double duty.

Marianne, I know what you are going through with the mammogram--happened to me a couple of years ago. Then after they decided it was probably nothing but wanted to watch it, I had to go back in 6 months rather than a year, and 6 months later nothing was there, whatever it was had completely gone. In the meantime I gave up my Estradiol, which I sure hated to because it had made such a difference, but it may also have been what was causing the change in breast tissue.
Also, Marianne, how is your dd? Back in the day I had to quit two different jobs due to sexual harrassment and there was nothing anybody could or would do back then. I was a timid young woman. Today if anybody even looked at me crooked I'd pick up the nearest 2X4 and they would be wearing their u know whats as tonsils. But of course now I'm a mean old lady and nobody looks at me one way or the other.

For those of you who were keeping my brother in your prayers, and for anybody out there battling that old devil cancer, my brother was told in November that his chance of recovery was "slim to none". He almost did not fight it, but between my sister and I, we got him to agree to the chemo, then radiation, she has been his caregiver most of the time, he finished all the treatments about a month ago, and he is still very weak and still on a feeding tube, going on 7 months now, and he has serious scar tissue in his throat from the radiation which will require some treatments, but the CT scan shows the tumor is gone. He is considered cancer free!! He was originally told he would have to have his throat removed and a plastic throat put in,(if he survived the treatments) but now they say he will not. So, thank you all for the prayers, we do consider this to be miraculous considering his prognosis, and everybody please know that a slim chance is still a chance. Somehow he beat the odds. Now if he could just quit smoking.
It seems like a lot of ladies have come and gone on this thread during the time I have been here. Sometimes there is only one post from someone and I wonder, did we run them off or did they do like I do, sometimes I post on a thread and then I can never find it again. This is one huge site.

Darling Darlys, how many cookbooks do you have? I thought I was the only person who bought the cookbook at the gift store as a
souvenir. I have them from all over, plus I belonged to The Good Cook book club for a long time. I have stopped buying books unless it is a real special one, but now I download recipes and have a computer full of them. crazy, yes? I still have my Betty Crocker cookbook that we all got for our weddings back in the 50's and 60's and mine is held together with duct tape. I used to love to cook and I have the kitchen to prove it, but now I just don't want to cook anymore. I don't know if I ever will again. I know you can go to the internet and get any recipe you want but I just love to grab a big stack of pretty cookbooks and sit and read through them. Does anybody else do that? I bet Darlys does. I have gotten fed up with Paula Deen and her over the top southern accent, and lost interest in a lot of others but I still think Sara Moulton is just the best. I tape her shows and watch when I can.

Nancy I hope you enjoyed your FGOTM and am glad you passed it to someone on a different thread so we don't look like we are too special here on the over 50's even tho we are

Holly I hope Ms. guinea takes good care of her chicks after all the trouble she is going through to have them. Ross will sure enjoy baby chicks.

Do any of you keep up with Grace Gerber's blog? I just love her blog and her etsy site, and think she would be the most interesting person to meet. And her fiber is the most beautiful fiber I have ever laid eyes on.

phone is ringing--you gals are saved by the bell. posting before i lose it all

Glenda #3534

Edited by - doll58maker on Jul 03 2012 6:37:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2012 :  6:33:30 PM  Show Profile
Glenda, That is wonderful news about your brother. My dr. has always said: Don't underestimate the power of prayer" That is so very true. Cancer is a very hard thing to go through and is such a harsh word. I am so happy when I hear of success stories. I had a daughter that died of a brain tumor at 7 1/2 years old, 24 years ago. She suffered for 4 1/2 years, but now things are so more advanced and more survival rates. Hearing the words cancer free is a very good sounding phrase. Hugs to you and your sister and brother. I will keep you in my prayers until he is healed completely.

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

Go to Top of Page

beachymom
True Blue Farmgirl

467 Posts

Kathy
Manchester Tennessee
USA
467 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2012 :  7:00:31 PM  Show Profile
We just got our power back - Been out since Friday. I can't wait for the hot water to heat up so we can bathe!! I'm busy right now, baking one cake while mixing another, while posting here. Hubby is wondering what got into me. He's just sitting there watching TV.

Patty - I am so sorry you lost your best friend, Touchdown. She looks so sweet. I know it would not be Heaven without out pets. So, I know they will be waiting for us there.

Bunny - looks we'll all have to wait to see you in your quilted jacket for a couple of months. But, the fabric looks 'cool'!!

And, I forgot who asked, but Jenny is the same Jenny who hates my garden,a but helps me when I need it.

I can't believe it's only July and my green beans are all done, grown, harvested & frozen. I wanted to plant more, but Jenny - who is my right arm, suggested I try something else (she used different words). Home Depot was having a clearance sale of Green Peppers, so I bought 5 for $10, but when I got home, I found there was 2 growing in one of the pots. So I got 6 for $10. Since we also love green peppers, it sounded like a great deal. I also transplanted a couple of zucchini plants to also fill that void. We'll see what happens. Maybe I can plant something else up there before my surgery. I know the chickens really enjoyed the pulled up plants before I raked them out & added the leftovers to my compost pile. Really getting tomatoes now too. Seems like my 45 day Early Girls are coming ripe at the same time as my 60 day 6 oz wonders. My cherry tomatoes are also getting red. My jalapenos are also ready. As well as all my herbs. I'll be making hot sauce & spaghetti sauce before my surgery.

Off to finish my cakes then sleep a good night in air conditioning!!

Prayers all around. Later sisters.

Hugs and Squishies!!

Kathy

Farmgirl Sister #3983

Take care of the land and it will take care of you.
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2012 :  8:00:23 PM  Show Profile
Janet, bless your sweet heart. Thank you so much for your prayers and your friendship. My heart hurts for you-- even after 24 years losing a child is the most painful thing to endure in this world.

Glenda #3534

Edited by - doll58maker on Jul 03 2012 8:02:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2012 :  02:50:19 AM  Show Profile
Janet, you are remarkable. You proudly proclaim you belief in the power of prayer and join your friend in celebrating the recovery of a loved one while barely mentioning the loss of your daughter. It must have been difficult for lack of a stronger word to watch her suffer for those years. Twenty-four years must be a lifetime and "just yesterday" at the same time for you. I can't imagine your loss, but I can and do admire your ability to continue to believe and place your trust in the power of prayer. My trials pale in comparison. Thank you for that reminder. You are in my prayers today and everyday because I know this is with you everyday.
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2012 :  05:53:13 AM  Show Profile
Glenda = what wonderful news about your brother!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Praise the Lord!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Patty I am so sorry you lost Touchdown? I can't imagine not having Lily. She is so much a part of my life. People who do not have special pets really don't understand what we go through. I wish everyone had paw prints on their hearts. I think the world would be a calmer place.

Janet - You are a very strong lady! May God continue to hold you in his arms!

Kathy - Tell Jenny that I haven't forgotten about her and will write soon. You have really kept her busy in the garden and chicken yard. How did she handle the storm? I am so glad you are safe and have electricity back again.

Well chickie poos, It is to hot and I am to old to get excited about any 4th of July celebrations. I have put out the flag and will find my Boyds red,white, and blu figurines as my sister will be here on Friday with her family. Maybe it will be a little cooler by then HA!

anyway I hope ya all have a fun filled day! remember to take a few minutes to remember the true meaning of today! Taa taa for now

Edited by - Thelma on Jul 04 2012 05:59:31 AM
Go to Top of Page

beachymom
True Blue Farmgirl

467 Posts

Kathy
Manchester Tennessee
USA
467 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2012 :  07:03:04 AM  Show Profile
HAPPY FOURTH TO EVERYBODY.
Let's remember why we celebrate this day and thank a soldier. We already went out for a soda this morning, and bought a tank of gas for a man in uniform. He didn't know, but it made him smile. On the way back out the door, I noticed a car full of soldiers going in for coffee/soda/water. I quickly went back in & gave the worker a $20 bill to cover whatever they get and if any leftover for any other person in uniform. We go there a lot and the workers know us. We've been here for over 20 years and so has the 7-11.

Well, have to go. Chickens and garden don't take a day off.

Later sisters. Prayers always all around.

Hugs and Squishies!!

Kathy

Farmgirl Sister #3983

Take care of the land and it will take care of you.
Go to Top of Page

Marylyn
True Blue Farmgirl

316 Posts

Marylyn
Ellsinore MO
USA
316 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2012 :  07:18:35 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Kathy, what a beautiful way to celebrate the fourth of July!!! Your post brought tears to my eyes. May God richly bless and keep you...

Love,

Auntie M
Farmgirl # 4062
That which does not kill me, only serves to make me stronger!...unknown to me.
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2012 :  11:04:55 AM  Show Profile
Glenda, thank you so much for your order on my website! What a nice surprise. Just a confession though, one of the flowers is more purple than blue. My camera seems to be messing up colors bait. I didn't notice until I went to package it up.
So awesome about your brother. I hope he continues to mend and live a full life!

Kathy, what a wonderful thing to do for our soldiers. I'm sure you made their day.

Janet, so sad to hear about your daughter. I just can't imagine the pain you must feel and the strength it must take to talk about her.

No big plans for today. I'm sewing a birthday gift for a friend and hopefully finishing up on my jacket. It is turning out better than I hoped. I'm learning about different seams. Had to cover a few boo boo's with appliqué on the lining. I want it to be reversible. So far so good.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day. I'm afraid I'm not looking forward to tonight. The fireworks go long after midnight and the cats have a terrible time with all the loud noises. I'm thinking of going to bed with earphones on listening to nice ocean sounds.

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com
www.bunnyrose.com
My shops:

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2012 :  2:19:58 PM  Show Profile
Bunny- I am so not looking forward to the fireworks as well. I hate that neighbors shoot off fireworks and they hit my house or land on my roof. And it does make the dogs and cat nervous. I can not wait until you finish your jacket... I look forward to seeing pics.

Janet- My daughter will leave to go back to california as soon as the truck is in operation. Hoping to get it on the road within weeks. Inspection was prelimanary, but went well.

Marianne- The truck will be called "Jakes Coffee and Espresso". We are also taste testing coffee. Just fixed a pot of afternoon coffee and it is horrible...lol. I hate to think we spent so much on that bag of coffee to find it disappointing. I hooked up a commercial coffee pot in the house this morning with an inline filter. We will make coffee each morning to fill our airpots in the house so we do not have to use so much bottle water from out truck water tanks.

Janet- It is miserable hot here and has been forever since we had any rain. I pray for rain daily.

Glenda- WOOHOO, what wonderful news about your brother. God is good!

I have fish out thawing for a 4th of July fish fry this evening. But ,I think I will sneak off and take a nap. :) Have a wonderful day!

Patty #1840

http://ladygonegreen.blogspot.com/

A rind is a terrible thing to waste. Compost.

When they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, “Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted.”
-Jesus in John 6:12 NIV Bible
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2012 :  4:13:45 PM  Show Profile
Patty I have some friends in calorie that roast their own coffee. I know the sold it to all the local restaurants and every one loves it. It is called Firefall coffee after a old Yosemite tradition. They have different kinds of coffee..dark roast etc. if you are interested I can get you their phone number and you can try some. The only issue may be shipping costs...

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com
www.bunnyrose.com
My shops:

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2012 :  4:14:44 PM  Show Profile
Akkkk....I meant California!

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com
www.bunnyrose.com
My shops:

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2012 :  4:19:50 PM  Show Profile
Patty, they have a website. Btw, I was the one that came up with the name...I even get credit for it on their website. They don't sell online but you can call them and talk to either Maryann or Michelle. Tell them Bunny Rose sent you.

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com
www.bunnyrose.com
My shops:

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2012 :  8:08:56 PM  Show Profile
Had a wonderful day, but it was hot and humid. My son came over, we usually play yard games, but it was way too hot to even think about it. I grilled brats and hot dogs with onoins, mushrooms and green peppers. Plus corn on the cob. It was so good, we ate it outside. Just before the fireworks were to start, a storm came in and rained it out until tomorrow night. Seems it happens almost every year.
It is late, so am off to bed. Bunny, can't wait to see your masterpiece!!
Have a great evening,

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2012 :  03:23:36 AM  Show Profile
Count me in on another gal who is happy the fireworks are over. I enjoy the shows put on by the professionals, but dread the yearly nonsense of kids, and adults, "playing with fire." Our animals did really well, no excitement for the dogs or horses. So, we can breathe a sigh of relief.

We headed to bed about eleven last night and before dh let the dogs out for their last nightly comfort break, I commented how nice it had been to not have them excited by the fireworks. Of course, that big ol' porcupine had to choose then to show up in its favorite hang out, my raspberry patch. It has been making quite a mess in the raspberries, and with the fruit trees. I hate having them right here in the yard, etc. as I have mentioned before. So, dh snatched up his gun to make the porkie "gone" and the household safe. Needless to say, the noise caused some excitement with the dogs... And for some reason, our horses-natural prey animals with an acute sense of self-preservation that they are, came galloping in towards the sounds of gunfire ... Hmm, good thing they have us to look out for them. Talk about domesticated.

But, boy am I glad to have this one porcupine no longer a frequent flyer in my garden.

The quail hatched and boogied outta here! We didn't even get a glimpse of them! I'm sure we will see them around...and I will think every quail I see this year is the quail that hatched in my fuschia garden!

Patty, we have a small hometown chain of drivethru coffee stands called Jakes here in the Inland NW. We aren't as coffee stand populated as the Seattle area, but we have a lot of them! Love the name. Sure wish I could lend a hand taste testing!!! So, after your daughter returns to CA, will this be your enterprise all by yourself? Do you have a proposed launch date?

Kathy, cool way to honor our service men!

Hope everyone is getting a break from the heat. We are just starting to warm up, hopefully within reason, not too terrible.

Marianne
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2012 :  05:23:23 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning,

No fireworks here in my neighborhood last night and I was glad. Last year the fireworks were going off at 11:00 at night. I didn't miss seeing them this year at all. Actually they are illeagal here but the police do not enforce the law. Many people go up into GA or NC to get them.

Glenda I am so happy to hear about your brother. Prayers answered and I just thank God that all is well with him. This is such an inspiring story about not giving up.
I am sorry to hear, though, that you are in pain. I pray for you, dear sister. Having health issues is so awful.
Thank you for telling me about Grace Gerber. I am going to see what she has. :)

Kathy you are soooo busy. I wish I had your energy sometimes especially because I start these art projects then have to force myself to finish before I had more. That is where I am now so I am writing down things I want to make when I finish what I have now.
Bless you for the kindness to our people in uniform. What a wonderful way to thank them.

Janet you are a really great lady. I know how hard it is to lose a child and the pain continues no matter how long. God bless you and keep you safely.

Thelma I agree that fireworks don't thrill me so much anymore. I like it that you have decorations other than the flag. I put out my flag as I do every year. I wish more people would do that.

Bunny I am looking forward to seeing your jacket. It sounds wonderful and I know you will do a great job on it. I like the idea that it is reversable.

Marianne good for you getting that "porkie" out of the way. I didn't know they could be so distructive. Wow! You are lucky to be just getting the heat where you live. It was so hot yesterday and the day before. We had a big thunder storm last night. Rained like crazy for about 45 minutes. I know it is even hotter up there in Ga and some places in the midwest. I still wonder how people stood it before air conditioning. I guess they sat in front of the water pail under the fan. Where is my iced lemonade drink, Darlys?

Nice talking with you yesterday, Patty. I am happy to hear that the coffee truck is almost ready and that you will be starting up with serving very soon. I know you will be a big success with it. And now you are an official Barista! :)

I am just going to enjoy the day today. I rode around almost all day with my DH while we did errands together. We did find a nice little thrift store that sold herbs. So I bought some along with some plants that they were selling. I had a big leg cramp in the middle of the night and had to ask DH to bring me some ice to put on it so it would go away. I am going to look up about leg cramps and find out why my thigh keeps cramping.
I saw on the swap forum that someone is doing something called Zentangle. It is a way of doodling and can be lots of fun. Along with the Dotee dolls and Mail Art I want to do this. Not that I have anything going at the present...Haha!

Have a really nice day, lovely ladies.

Hugs and squeezies,

Nancy

Make everyday a celebration of the heart.
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2012 :  09:59:47 AM  Show Profile
Well I had fireworks well into 2am. For a while it sounded like the showdown at the OK corral. My cats were scared and huddled up close to me. I could hardly move. Then a big one would go off and they would all run a hide. Then they would creep back until the next big one. I hate 4th of July just for that reason. New years eve is the same.

Nancy, sorry about your leg cramping. Sounds like possibly a deficiency of something.
I know when I was pregnant I use to get them really bad.
I love zentangle! I do them all the time. There are lots of wonderful websites with ideas. have fun.

Marianne, while I hate to hear your porkie is no more, I totally understand! I would be worried for my animals along with the rest of the trouble they cause.

It finally feels hot today. Not looking forward to that. I have a bit df yard work to do. I should have been doing it instead of sewing. But just. Opulent help myself. Now I will pay the price. My mom had some boys put up this flimsy greenhouse in the back yard. Of course she put it in the windiest area... And she knew that. Now it has toppled over and if I don't deal with it, it will stay there forever. Something for her to complain about. She has been driving me nuts. It is like having a little sister instead of a mom. What ever I do...she does. If I go out into the garden today, she will probably go out too. But only if I do. If I stay on my bed all day doing homework, she will stay in bed all day and do nothing. she is a pretty sad case. She is not very nice, so has only one friend. The ladies she plays bunch with, call her the duchess because of her attitude. I play with her group now and learned she also cheats! I was blown away! Of course no one says anything.

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com
www.bunnyrose.com
My shops:

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2012 :  10:17:47 AM  Show Profile
Sorry for the weird spellings. My iPad has some ideas about changing my words to something totally different than what I typed. I don't always check. I had to answer the door so posted without checking....sorry about that.

Sorry about the mom complaints. I don't have many ways to vent. I have virtually no privacy at all. Living here is a lesson in patience and lessons in being thankful for the small things. But living with mom just makes me impatient for the day I can move back out on my own.

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com
www.bunnyrose.com
My shops:

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2012 :  10:47:22 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Bunny, I do feel for you. I do hope that you will be able to be on your own soon too. We love our parents, but sometimes we need our own lives, I can relate to that. Take a ride and go "window shopping" or go to a park and sit for a spell, anything to get away for awhile.

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 218 **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Farmgirls over age 50 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page