prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2012 :  08:26:12 AM  Show Profile
Good morning ladies!
Forgive me lately for not addressing each of you individually?! Hope to getback in the groove soon!

My thoughts and prayers to each of you going thru struggles, hurt, and health issues. It's hard to understand why life throws the hard knocks that it does!

I am trying to little by little check out everyone's etsy sites, my income, as for many, is limited so I can't always purchase things I may want to?

Today my eldest daughter and gkids are picking me up for lunch. We are going to join my middle daughter on her break at work. Will be a fun visit!
I hope each of you have a good day...

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda

Country at Heart

Edited by - prayin granny on Jul 26 2012 08:29:30 AM
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2012 :  09:58:46 AM  Show Profile
Well, yesterday's sewing went much better. One girl is great as long as nothing goes wrong. If she makes a mistake and I make her use the seam ripper she has attitude for a while. But she is almost done so is excited. The other girl, whose mom had us rearrange everything is a sweet heart. Except mom shows up 30 minutes later than arranged and then 30 minutes late after class. I really have issue with inconsiderate people like that. But otherwise they are doing great with their projects. I will try to remember to take a picture.
More good news, my mom talked to a man she knows at church that has an CPA firm in town and he wants to interview me for a possible job! Of course it has to be very part time right now so I can finish school. But the extra money and experience will be much appreciated.
The college also wants me to appear in a commercial for them. I got a scholarship last year for one quarter and applied again this year for a full year one. It will just a quick few seconds blurb... But kinda cool. They took pictures of me for the school catalog. I told my kids I'm now a poster child for oldsters returning to school.

Anyway, I need to get ready for my sewing class.

Hope you have a wonderful day all!

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com
www.bunnyrose.com
My shops:
Handmade stuff http://www.etsy.com/shop/CuriousOrangeCat?ref=ss_profile
Fabric www.bunnyroseco.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2012 :  10:09:05 AM  Show Profile
Bunny, great news all around!!!! Hope your day goes well again today!!!!!

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2012 :  4:53:48 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

Today it rained all day long. Temperatures were in the sixties and low seventies. I brush hogged in a field last night. It is very hilly and rough ground. I went slow. I have no interest in tipping the tractor.

Bunny I also thought you could make clothing for odd sized people. The problem with that is that people can be so nasty if what she had in her head is different from what is reality. There is the problem that custom made clothing can not be made for the low prices that imported clothes go for. There is a man in Montpelier who started Tall Paul's Tall shop on line. He is almost seven feet tall and is very thin. He advertises other people's products. So, all that being said I think there is a market for women with inseams who are more than 32 inches long. accompanying arm lengths are difficult as well. So, marketing to the athletic women might be a possibility.
I think very short women may have issues as well. We were attended by a Nurse Practitioner once who was under 5 feet tall and thin. She wore children's clothing.

YOu could market it get your cost per use down now that you are not growing.........

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Marylyn
True Blue Farmgirl

316 Posts

Marylyn
Ellsinore MO
USA
316 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2012 :  08:55:15 AM  Show Profile
Sweet, sweet, glorious RAIN....one inch last night!!! The grass is greener, the air is sweeter, ahhhh, but the sun is brighter! I went outside and danced in the rain!!! Silly, isn't it? But I was overwhelmed with pure joy! By the way, have I ever told y'all that rain is my favorite weather phenomimun??? Well, it always has been! Our rain fall average is down by over half...what a wonder-filled night!....okay, little girl face is put away...Farmgirl face back in place...so, how's it going? Holly, I see you got some rain as well! Janet, you, too!

Well, garden is finished and for the first time I am contemplating putting in a fall garden...I mean if it is going to be a long summer, I may as well get the most out of it!

Sorry, I cannot address everyone individually, but I will say this...may your burdens be eased, may your pain subside, and may you find peace and joy....and, please, know that I love and ca about each and everyone of you.

Love,

Auntie M
Farmgirl # 4062
That which does not kill me, only serves to make me stronger!...unknown to me.
Go to Top of Page

SisterSue
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Connie Sue
Fredericksburg TX
50 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2012 :  12:24:05 PM  Show Profile
Bunny - great news!!
I too hesitate to mention everyone individually, because I usually forget or get things wrong!!
But I assure you that I read each post, and I add my prayers, concerns and celebrations to all!
I was so excited, all the badges I applied for finally came through today, fun to see the posting and my pics show up. If you go to the merit badge post by MaryJane you can see my fountain that I built and our bird area. It was for the beginning and intermediate birds badge. So fun. I also got some for green shopping, starting our chicken flock etc. I love the badges.

Farmgirl #4283
Go to Top of Page

LNaturals
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Laurie
Fridley Minnesota
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2012 :  5:04:37 PM  Show Profile
Hi Everyone!
Yeah!! It's Friday!! I just finished reading & trying to catch up on all the posts. I missed alot this week. My thoughts & prayers are with all of you also.

Bunny, I love the I-Pad covers! What a neat idea! I'm happy to hear about the interview. Can't wait to hear about it. Good luck with the scholarship too.

Connie Sue, sorry about cutting your camping trip short. I love camping in the fall, can't wait! Thank you also for all the info about the merit badges! You had metioned about maybe selling your aprons at the gift shop. Last week I had brought 2 of my new aprons into work to show a couple of the girls & ended up with 5 orders. They had mentioned to me about selling them at different places too. I'll have to think about that more. I make purses also, & I have 2 orders for that. I'll hav eto check out your fountain & bird area.

Holly, I hadn't thought about it, but I'm glad you mentioned it. I better stock up on some grains & flour.

I love the stories you all are sharing about your animals on the farm! I start remembering the things that happened on my farm & can't help but smile! Even the ones that at the time they were happening, I wasn't smiling, I can now.
Hopefully I can write more later, gatta go for now.
Hugs & smiles to all!

"I can't clean because....I get distracted by all the cool stuff I find"

Laurie Jean #4200
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2012 :  5:16:41 PM  Show Profile
I am just popping in to say hello. Bunny such good news. I am so happy for you. Holly has such a good idea about the clothing for odd sized people. It is hard for so many people to get the proper fit if they are small or bigger than most.

Marilyn so happy to hear that you got some rain. I am always glad when we get it. Never thought I would say that I wanted it to rain.

Connie Sue isn't it fun getting the badges. I was so excited when mine came through. I am waiting for one right now. I still don't think I have the right place for mine.

Laurie so good to hear from you.

I am continuing to pray for all of you with burdens and health difficulties. I have really had a busy week. Next week on Aug 2nd I will have my left eye done and then I will not be able to see clearly for about 2 days. Hooray after that the world will be brighter and clearer.

Love to you all.

Hugs and squeezies,

Nancy

Make everyday a celebration of the heart.
Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2012 :  6:09:12 PM  Show Profile
Holly how do you ssssstore your extra oatemeal and such. I am afraid that if I buy to much it will spoil or get buggy. I can't tolerate that. I think I will buy ahead too if I nnnknew how to store everything.

I made nine quarts of spicy hot pickles this morning. I haven't canned pickles for so many years that I found it very rewarding. They will look nice in the pantry next to my peach jam. Just call me Susie Homemaker giggle! Don't know what else the garden will produce due to weather blaa blaa blaa.

Connie Sue - you would be so proud of me. I returned to WW Wednesday night and this time I have made a real comittment to stop messing around and get the last 23 pound off that I have struggled with for the last 18 months. The last 2 days I have done very well. I even started walking outside again. Tomorrow will be a tough day. Day three always is, but I know that I will be able to take it an hour or 2 at a time and work through it.

Taa taa chickie poos. Have a relaxing evening.
Go to Top of Page

Marylyn
True Blue Farmgirl

316 Posts

Marylyn
Ellsinore MO
USA
316 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2012 :  6:58:53 PM  Show Profile
Hey, Thelma, I also put up spicy hot pickles this morning!!! Only 8 pints though...I know I was supposed to wait 24 hours, but I opened a jar rit before I came to work and, yes, they ae hot!!!

Oven canning is how I am going to put up flour, cornmeal, and dried beans...they will stay bug free and good for years!!! Will start buying in bulk next week!

Connie Sue, congratulations on your badges!!!! You go, Farmgirl!

Watching the Olympics...gotta run!!!! (pun intended!) hehehehe....

Love,

Auntie M
Farmgirl # 4062
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2012 :  05:56:33 AM  Show Profile
Good morning ladies!

Hope everyone is having a good weekend!

Penny and Glenda-how are your family members doing? Definitely in our thoughts!
Glenda hope you are doing better.
Holly-will look into more types of honey, thank you
Bunny- sounds great with the sewing classes! Wish I could join! I'm getting back into sewing.....sometimes struggle a lot!
Thelma and Marilyn-your canning sounds awesome! Youve been busy ladies!
Nancy and Connie Sue- enjoy your badges! I haven't worked on any lately and I'm trying to decide one to do next!

Speaking of badges? Has anyone done the young cultivator badges with a young family member?
My gdaughter just loves any and all my farmgirl news, swaps, etc!
She wants to do some things too!!

Well it is still HOT and dry here! We need some rain and cooler temps so bad!
I stay pretty much indoors a lot.

I've been enjoying the Olympics so much! Always look forward to them!

Hope everyone has a great Sunday!

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2012 :  6:30:56 PM  Show Profile
Marylyn - What in the world is oven canning???????????????????

I had a lovely weekend. Got to do what I wanted for a change instead of heading out with family or friends because they want to do something. (I am glad that people think of me and want me in their lives). Yesterday Darwin and I went to a local small town celebration about 10 miles up the road, and today we spent most of the day driving around the county on a photo shoot. I even made home made pizza when we got home using my weight watchers know how.

Dear God, please watch over the farm girl chicks. Keep them and their loved ones save from harm. Be gentle with those who have pain or are ill, and be with those who are working and trying to make ends meet. In your name I pray dear Heavenly Father. Amen

Edited by - Thelma on Jul 29 2012 6:32:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

Marylyn
True Blue Farmgirl

316 Posts

Marylyn
Ellsinore MO
USA
316 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2012 :  8:51:22 PM  Show Profile
Thelma, you fill canning jars with DRY goods...flour, dried beans, cornmeal, etc...put them in the oven at about 225 degrees for a couple of hours, remove and listen for the pop! I have heard of vacuum canners, some gadget...but you are just creating a vacuum seal.

Slow day today, I slept mostly, now I am watching the Olympics!

Love,

Auntie M
Farmgirl # 4062
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2012 :  8:55:43 PM  Show Profile
Thelma, thank you for the beautiful blessing. Always nice to know someone is keeping you in their thoughts.

Marylyn, I, too want to know what oven canning is.

I have been enjoying a visit from dd and her boyfriend. He had a great interview that looks promising - keep those prayers coming please! DD is still looking daily and trying to keep her chin up. But, how nice it is to see them. And load them up with lots of food and stuff to take home.

Made more raspberry jam. Up to 32 pints now. Already started giving some away.

Nancy, just think, this time next week you will have both of your "new" eyes! Thinking of you.

Holly, how are you doing with all the fence repair? Is Mrs. Guinea ready to kick those kids out yet? We have finally started to see the new quail families out and about. It looks like another bumper crop of them this year.

Has everyone renewed their farmgirl membership at half price? Only a few days left to do it!!

Marianne
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2012 :  05:19:10 AM  Show Profile
Thelma thank you for the beautiful prayer. God is always listening and gives us peace, strength and courage.

Marianne your rasberry jam sounds so yummy. I have made blackberry jam from the wild bushes that grow around here. But we have no rasberries. I am glad you had a nice visit with your DD and her boyfriend. I am praying for her to get a job. One of my GD just got a job after more than 100 applications. And that is only a summer job.

Marilyn thank you for telling us about the oven canning. I have never heard of that.

Holly how's it going?

Patty is everything ready for the opening of your coffee business? I know you have been working so hard and I know it will be a big success. I saw the light you replaced and it sure did light up that area. You are so handy.

Darlys hope you had a wonderful weekend with your DH after he was gone on his hiking trip. Let us know how it went for him. I love hiking but have not done it for quite a while. I think the last time I hiked was when I went gold panning near a river in California. I only got a few specks of gold but we did find a big rock with a geode in it.

I am going to be doing lots of laundry today along with some house cleaning. There was a big rain storm last evening so the walking trail should have lots of puddles for Snuggles to run in today.

Hugs and squeezies,

Nancy

Make everyday a celebration of the heart.
Go to Top of Page

Marylyn
True Blue Farmgirl

316 Posts

Marylyn
Ellsinore MO
USA
316 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2012 :  05:36:13 AM  Show Profile
Okay, gfs, here are the instructions for oven canning....now remember this is for dry goods only, such as flour, cornmeal, dehydrated veggies, dried beans...it is NOT safe for canning vegetables, jellies, meats..use standard methods for those!!! Everybody understand? Okay...

Fill 1/2 gallon, quart, or pint jars with your dry goods, then fill your pre-heated oven at 200 degrees. After an hour, and working quickly, remove one jar at a time and place a cap on it tightly, then place it on a towel covered counter and continue with the next jar. The lids will heat up quickly and as they cool they will seal with their notorious POP....CAUTION, Jars are extremely hot...be careful removing them for the oven. Also, if you knock one over...yuck, it is a mess to clean up!
I set mine one cookie sheets while they are in the oven and wait until you have enough to fill your oven with jars, that makes it more economical!

Happy canning!

Love,

Auntie M
Farmgirl # 4062
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2012 :  06:17:59 AM  Show Profile
Marylyn, thank you for the oven canning instructions. I am now going to buy my dry goods in bulk and can them like that. That way I won't have to worry about bugs in thm. Thanks again!!!!! Great!!!
Sounds like all are doing well, but busy as bees this time of year. I will post more later. Have a great day,

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

Go to Top of Page

beachymom
True Blue Farmgirl

467 Posts

Kathy
Manchester Tennessee
USA
467 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2012 :  06:58:10 AM  Show Profile
Good morning from Maryland where it promises to be another humid day. Jenny and I need to rake out the chicken coop. The girls have gone through all the kitchen scraps and weeds I've given them over the past week. It will all go straight into the pumpkin patch.

Hubby and I spent the whole weekend building - yes, I said building our new 3 car sized garage!

I can't believe I actually did that. Hubby and I did that, I mean. Of course he helped. I figured we'd better get that done before my shoulder surgery. I wielded that nail gun like a magic sword! Blam blam blam!! I am woman, watch me nail! OK, that's all the work I'll be doing on the workshop this year.(we decided to build a garage then it changed into a workshop. No garage) Hubby will have to find someone else to help him raise the roof. I'll be able to help with the walls, in fact, I'm quite looking forward putting walls on it. Half of it is going to be my husband's workshop, and the other half is mine - I'm going to use some of it for my chickens. We'll be raising our own meat when we live there. The rest of the space, I may put in a little heat and make it my sewing space. We'll see.

I have used my oven to can dry goods before. Mostly dried beans, peas, wheat...that sort of stuff. I find I am keeping more dried stuff now. It's easier to grind wheat than to have to worry about bugs in the flour. However, I do keep my flour in the freezer until I need it.

Anyway, what do you think about my latest creations in the kitchen?

I've been working on roses, daffodils and lilies for my cake final this week. I need to make that cake and get it covered with a crumb coat so I can work on the basket weave pattern for the sides, then I'll pile up all the flowers on top. I'll post pics for that too.

Also, while walking around the 2 acres we have that will be our retirement home, I came across a bunch of flowers I don't know what they are. Any body know what these are?

And some of the most beautiful patterns of moss on the rocks.

I wanted to bring that rock home, but figured the moss would die here. Guess it would probably need the trees and shade it has right where it sits, but I'll be there some day.

On my way out to the garden sisters. Prayers to you all and love.

Hugs and Squishies!!

Kathy

Farmgirl Sister #3983

Take care of the land and it will take care of you.
Go to Top of Page

janiee
True Blue Farmgirl

820 Posts

Janie
Shawnee Oklahoma
USA
820 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2012 :  08:54:24 AM  Show Profile
Hello gals! popped in to say i was thinking about all of you!
kathy, the decorations look WONDERFUL! i always wanted to do that but the carpal tunnel in my hands just won't let me. anyway, i am very impressed with your skills.
thelma, so glad you joined in on the canning - if i have enough money left over tomorrow after paying bills, i am going to go to the farmer's market and get me some pickles to put up. been wanting to do that for a long time.
aunti m thanks for the directions to oven can - i was also thinking about doing some of that with my dry goods. actually i have to purchase some dry goods - am very bad about letting them get old and i have to throw them out but i am wanting to do better!
it is a beautiful HOT day here in Texas and i wish i was visiting some of you!
hugs and love to all
janiee
farmgirl #390
Go to Top of Page

janiee
True Blue Farmgirl

820 Posts

Janie
Shawnee Oklahoma
USA
820 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2012 :  10:35:14 AM  Show Profile
well, i am back from lunch and i received such a pleasant surprise in the mail. thank you thelma for the card and the pocket purse made in my favorite colors! how did you know? i am currently working on a purple and green quilt and i just love it. I have plenty of purples but need more variety in my greens (my "other" family would not believe that) i also have a question for the canning gals - can you oven can wheat flour? i always heard that it went rancid really quickly if not kept in the refrigerator and i was just wondering.

got to get to work

hugs y'all!
janiee
farmgirl #390
Go to Top of Page

Marylyn
True Blue Farmgirl

316 Posts

Marylyn
Ellsinore MO
USA
316 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2012 :  11:51:48 AM  Show Profile
I know that you can oven can anything with low oil content...almonds and pecans also but not walnuts because they have too much oil content...but if you just try a pint size jar of whole wheat flour, let it set for six months then try it...at least you'll know.

Just got home from the bluff...I have 25 lbs of flour, 25 lbs of cornmeal, 25 lbs of dried beans, and 4 lbs of old-fashioned oats...happy canning!

Kathy, love the pics...you are so good at cake decorations....and I believe those berries on the ground are dewberries.

Love,

Auntie M
Farmgirl # 4062
Go to Top of Page

Marylyn
True Blue Farmgirl

316 Posts

Marylyn
Ellsinore MO
USA
316 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2012 :  11:54:05 AM  Show Profile
Ohhhh, and I purchased my very first dehydrator!!!!!! Just a small inexpensive one, but I gotta start somewhere!

Love,

Auntie M
Farmgirl # 4062
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2012 :  6:43:40 PM  Show Profile
Marylyn, have fun with your new dehydrator. I am sure you will love it and find lots of stuff to dry.
Kathy, How nice to have a new workshop for both you and hubby!!!! How wonderful for you both!!!! Love the flowers you made. You do such a great job with your cake decorating.
There was a big storm heading this way, got a few sprinkles, then it quit. Made it more humid again. I just wish it would rain all night. We really do need it. I am kind of in a slump right now, I can't get motivated to get anything done. Maybe it was because I worked both Friday and Saturday for my son. It was busy because of sidewalk sales. Takes a few days to recoup.
Have a great evening,

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2012 :  01:38:17 AM  Show Profile
Kathy, Your garage/workshop looks awesome. When is your intended move in date?? I do love your frosting flowers. You really picked that up very well. I don't know any of the plants you are trying to identify!

Marylyn, you are gonna save a fortune with your dehydrator and all the food you are putting up. Good for you.

Janet, I bet it takes a bit to recuperate after a sidewalk sale! Hope you are full of energy today.

Dd's boyfriend got the one month contract position!! So they have a bit of breathing room. Thank you for all your prayers.

Marianne
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2012 :  09:24:08 AM  Show Profile
Marriage, that is wonderful about DD's boyfriend. Hopefully it will last much longer. Now it's her turn. Has she tried any temp agencies?

Kathy, you are an inspiration...building the workshop with hubby. It will be so nice when it is done. Especially if you get your own girl cave!

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com
www.bunnyrose.com
My shops:
Handmade stuff http://www.etsy.com/shop/CuriousOrangeCat?ref=ss_profile
Fabric www.bunnyroseco.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 218 **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Farmgirls over age 50 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page