True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2012 :  11:44:09 AM  Show Profile
Good afternoon,

I miss typing with all of you and reading abbout your lives. As you all know we take care of an elsderly neighbor who is living with dementia. I have been spending the nights at her house when my daughter is too tired. We are looking to add more people to the night watch. So, evening is the usual time I type to you. I am having a hard time finding an uninterupted time during the day to do so.

Know that I am thinking of you.

Holly

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

beachymom
True Blue Farmgirl

467 Posts

Kathy
Manchester Tennessee
USA
467 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2012 :  12:29:08 PM  Show Profile
Good afternoon from Maryland!

I'm happy to say that while I am not 'out of the woods' with the blood clot (it actually takes a long time for them to fall apart & be reabsorbed back into the body) that it has been over a week & I'm NOT in any hospital!! (that sound in the background is Jenny whooping for joy!!)

I am still walking with a cane & using a wheelchair when we find one in the stores we visit. I need to keep my right arm in a sling and imobilized (you know-NOT use it at all) however, I can't stand being so feeble, so I've been outside watering & picking tomatoes and peppers. I have physical therapy today & I expect her to tell me what a bad girl I've been!

Jenny is getting so tired of being my right arm (pun intended), hubby & I are taking her to OutBack for dinner. It's her favorite place to eat. She loves those blooming onions.

I have to say, Jenny took pretty good care of my garden on the whole. She picked, cleaned & froze a couple gallons of green beans these past weeks. I have to keep reminding her to pick them & we've probably got some that are way too big to be tender enough to can, but bless her heart, she tried. Tomatoes & peppers too. A lot of the zucchini & yellow squash either died, or just wasted away, and the pumpkins put on a great show of blossoms, just no fruit. When I was up in the garden, I did find one "Baby Boo" pumpkin. (the tiny white pumpkins) My butternut squash made it ok & it looks like I'll have 9 or 10 to freeze in chunks or as sauce.

Thank you all for remembering me in your prayers and all the cards & letters were wonderful. I did keep reading the forum just about every day, so I am all caught up.

Penny - sounds like your boss is a jerk, but I am glad you're making a good thing out of a bad thing.

So happy to hear that Sally is doing ok.

Congrats on the newest great grand daughter, Daryls.

Marianne - I have an apron sitting unfinished in my sewing room too.

Ginny - thanks for posting your garden pics. I love seeing other's gardens.

Patty - "Cheers" hoping your coffee truck is going sooner!!

Well, I've gone on long enough - right hand is really sore & tired.....shoulder & elbow too. If I missed anybody-sorry. I'll do better in a few days. A little better every day!

Hugs and Squishies!!

Kathy

Farmgirl Sister #3983

Take care of the land and it will take care of you.
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2012 :  1:16:48 PM  Show Profile
Hello everybody, I have not read all the back posts but wanted to stick my head in and say "hi". Darlys, ditto congratulations on the new baby, you lucky girl. I think I've had all the grands I will have-- maybe will be around for some great-grands but no sign of one yet. Kathy I'm so glad you are doing better. I've been out of the loop for so long I don't know what is going on with everybody on this thread any more. Maine was a wonderful adventure but I've had to cancel my plans to go to Hawaii to see my kids and grandkids there. too much to deal with here so I will be here for a while. But for a week I got to learn more about lobsters than I ever needed to know, ate them until I couldn't eat any more. Thankful for stretch pants. Highlight of the trip was a lobster bake on the beach in Rockland, had all the soft shell lobster we could eat, corn on the cob, all cooked in big pots covered with seaweed, so it had the most wonderful flavor, tender and moist, so good I will never forget it. Had lobster eggs benedict at the Portland airport at Linda Bean's (daughter or granddaughter of LL Bean, and actually could not finish the lobster. We went on American Cruise Lines which is a small ship with only 100 passengers so we could go in and out of the harbors where the big ships can not go. I highly recommend these cruises, we met lots of people who were on their 3rd or 4th cruise and that speaks well for the line. Also got to see some of the Wyeth original paintings at the Farnsworth museum which was worth the trip. Flying just continues to get more miserable so you need to have a really good time to make it worth the hassle to get there and back. We flew from Austin to Newark to Portland going, and Portland to O'Hare to Austin coming back and it was an all day deal both ways. I'm crashed on the couch today trying to recover. We had a cool night here last night and I have all my windows open today, unusual for this early in Sept. We don't usually get cool weather til later and first freeze around Thanksgiving.
My MJ magazine was in the mail when I got back and was a pleasant surprise to see our own little Texas junk gypsies featured. They are so cute and sweet, I am happy that they have made the big time.
Ginny I see where you have posted, good to see you back again. Wow, what a huge project that garden is. I looked on the Maine map for your town but didn't see it so I don't know if I was close to where you live or not. We cruised out of Portland, up to Bar Harbour, then hit several little ports on our way back down to Portland.
I'll try to catch up with all of you later.

hugs to all my sistas
Glenda #3534
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2012 :  5:54:33 PM  Show Profile
Kathy, glad you are finally healing some. I had a total shoulder replacement and it took a long time to heal. Shoulders are the worst for having surgery done. It has been 4 years and I still cannot raise my arm very high. It will be that way forever now. I did not have therapy, it was never ordered.
Glenda, glad you had such a great time. All that lobster is making me crave it. I have not had lobster in many years. The closest place that has it is 120 miles from here!!!
Holly, Patty, Penny, and Ginny, glad to hear from all of you.
Time to get ready for bed. Have a great evening,

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2012 :  05:52:36 AM  Show Profile
Good morning. Well, back to the dr today for more bloodwork. Crazy, I have been on these cholesterol-lowering statins for 2 months. And two side affects are liver damage and diabetes. So they call me yesterday and told me that from last weeks blood test results it shows my liver is not functioning correctly and my blood sugar levels are up. I fought them for months over starting me on them. I tried to avoid it. I have changed my diet and am hoping my results will change. I was so upset over the results that I forgot to even ask how the cholesterol levels were and they didn't bother telling me. SO I will find out today if the statins were even working. I actually quit taking the statins 4 days ago because I felt so tired and felt like it was depriving me of sleep. I will ask to see the Dr when I go in for the bloodwork today to discuss the results and inform her that I am no longer going to take statins. Of course now I am worried about liver disease. I have totally changed my diet. I started about a week before the first bloodtest. Low carb and no grains at all. Praying for some better test results today.

Hi Glenda! - I HAVE PERSONALLY MISSED YOU. hope all is well and your back from your trip rested and not exhausted. Still praying for your brother and hope he is doing well.

Nancy- Oh my, how I can relate to the eye sensitivity, not to mention the headaches from it. I hope it gets better soon.

Darlys- congratulations on the new baby! How exciting. Welcome home to the sewing machine! I hope you are sewing your heart out!

Kathy- What a blessing Jenny must have been to help out with the garden. I wish you a very speedy recovery and glad you are home.

Penny- Sad but there is always someone in the workplace that can't seem to adjust to harmony. I hope you are loving you position now. 2 hour drive to see the "best" football player, so well worth it! Exciting to see your grandsons!

Janet- Fall in Michigan is so beautiful! I worked out of Port Huron for about a year and loved it.

Holly- I too am thinking of you and yours. Darlys is not the only one who wants a "Holly-fix." Take care of yourself and try not to overload yourself.

Bunny- Whatever will be, will be. Maybe a good thing that you will have more time to apply toward school. You know, the best jobs I ever had just fell in my lap. When I was in school, I picked up a few extra jobs helping instructors with data entry. They always seemed to come at just the right time I needed it.

Marianne- Wonderful to get the bushes removed. We just took some out a few weeks ago along the driveway. They interfered with our walk to the garage. I love the walk now.

Well, I need to get off of here. I need to study for my food service license. My daughter already has hers so we are still good whenever the health department gets off their tuft. The inspector owns a large turkey farm. I imagine this is his busy season preparing for Thanksgiving.

Have a wonderful day.

Patty #1840

http://ladygonegreen.blogspot.com/

A rind is a terrible thing to waste. Compost.

When they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, “Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted.”
-Jesus in John 6:12 NIV Bible
Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2012 :  06:51:16 AM  Show Profile
So, I am wondering if the low carbs before the bloodwork had something to do with the bloodtest results.

Patty #1840

When they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, “Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted.”
Go to Top of Page

Marylyn
True Blue Farmgirl

316 Posts

Marylyn
Ellsinore MO
USA
316 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2012 :  07:08:12 AM  Show Profile
Hello, gfs!!! A beautiful fall-like day here in the Ozarks.

Patty, I, too, got a liver-disease as a result of taking statins about 8 years ago...I was sick, really sick. I stopped taking anything for colestoral!!! Of course, everyone-s body is different, but I went on a low carb diet and guess what? My colestoral dropped by 100 points! All I could figure was that I was eating natural fats and no processed foods. Even lowered my high blood pressure! Well, loosing twenty pounds helped with the blood-pressure...best of luck at the doctors today.

Glenda, sounds like you are doing well after your vacation...still praying for your brother.

On the run today...sorry, I have been and still am being lax....a lot going on in my neck of the woods!!!

Love,

Auntie M
Farmgirl # 4062
That which does not kill me, only serves to make me stronger!...unknown to me.
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2012 :  05:02:09 AM  Show Profile
Good morning. Looking out the window I see some rain clouds forming. Maybe we will be lucky and have some rain today.

I went to the Amelia Island Quilting group meeting last evening. It was the first one of the year and I really enjoyed seeing all the work that those ladies have done. I was really inspired by some of the beautiful art quilts that they shared. One lady made a quilt about the turtles which are on the island. She used beads, threads, a piece of driftwood and even some sand as embelishments to her quilt. There was one man quilter there who took up quilting after he had a stroke. There was a drawing for some door prizes which I did not win. Do I ever win??

My eyes are doing much better and I think I will be able to drive in about a week because I will be able to keep my eyes open in the sunlight with just my sunglasses on. I do like it that my DH is willing to do all of the driving. I kind of feel like Miss Daisy.

Fall is nearly here and so hopefully the weather will be cooling down except maybe in So. CA where Sept. and Oct. are so hot. The year my son was born in October the temps there were up to 109 degrees. Even at the beach the sand was so hot we were burning our feet.

Off to do my errands. Have a good day, girlfriends.

Hugs and squeezies,

Nancy

Make everyday a celebration of the heart.
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2012 :  06:12:15 AM  Show Profile
Nancy, the quilt show sounded so beautiful. I bet you got alot of insiration and ideas going on in your head now. Glad that your eyes are getting better. Soon you will be driving and on the go again. Just takes time sometimes. I need to get my eyes done, but am waiting for awhile longer. No insurance to pay for it right now.

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

Go to Top of Page

NancySully
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Nancy
Centennial CO
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2012 :  09:25:01 AM  Show Profile
Hi, Girls! I'm so ashamed of myself... I introduced myself and then disappeared for three weeks! Yes, I'm busy..no, that's no excuse. We are finally having a cool day in Colorado! It rained all night and it's supposed to be in teh 50's all day. Woo hoo! I've got sourdough bread rising as we speak. I planted turnip and lettice seeds to replace those that didn't do well earlier when it got too hot. Next project - peach preserves, if the farmer's market doesn't get rained out. I promise to check in with all of you more often.
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2012 :  10:46:15 AM  Show Profile
Glenda, great to hear from you! We all missed you. Sounds like you have been jet setting all over and could use a rest.

I hate to hear about the bad effects from medications. I'm afraid I stay away from most if I can. I take a blood pressure medicine but that's all. They are all so scary. Party, I hope you can find something that is safe and works! Aunte M your issues are a good reason to try something more natural first if possible. I'm sorry to hear it Hirt you more than helped.

Nancy, I love quilt show for the inspiration. We just had one here and I was amazed at all the talent.

Kathy, glad some healing is finally taking place. It does take time. My mom had two shoulder surgeries right after I moved here. It is hard to heal if you don't have people to help. Sounds like Jenny is doing her best to help out.

Cleaned the house top to bottom for my mom's bunco group. I'm beat today. I made a chocolate cheese cake for their dessert. While I was melting the chocolate chips in the microwave it made this explosive sound. I turned it off, waited and tried again. Explosion. I took everything out and could see anything wrong. No smells that go along with a microwave going out. My mom said she walked into her bedroom and had a hard word with God. Meanwhile I tried the microwave one more time and...nothing. It worked fine and has since then. We could not have replaced it for quit a while. I guess he took pity on us and fixed it.

Off to the sewing room today to finish up two baby quilts. Stay healthy or else! Ya hear me?

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com
www.bunnyrose.com
My shops:
Handmade stuff http://www.etsy.com/shop/CuriousOrangeCat?ref=ss_profile
Fabric www.bunnyroseco.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2012 :  10:48:12 AM  Show Profile
Darn spell checker... Disregard the creative spelling. I didn't do it. The iPad did.

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com
www.bunnyrose.com
My shops:

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

DEW
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

Dianne
Weiser Idaho
USA
317 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2012 :  1:40:20 PM  Show Profile
Hi Everyone
Hope all of you are doing great. We have had a couple of days of beautiful weather. Warm enough to leave the windows open yet cool enough to enjoy the windows open. I know they are few and far between but I do enjoy them.

Ginny wow I am so envious! I love to garden and just did not really get to this year. Thank you for sharing the pics. I am gardening thru everyone else this year.

Marianne thanks for crossing your fingers. What the repair man told me was basiclly it is old and worn out. I can still use it and it will last a while. I just have to fiddle with the bobin release knob. :( I guess I will have to break down and buy a new machine. But not right now. It will have to wait a while.

Patty Love the truck pics. Good luck with the inspection.

Nancy I hope the glare goes away. I bet the people next to you at the movie theater thought you were a celebraty incognito. LOL

Penny I know the feeling. I use to work in a grocery store. I ran the customer service desk. I applied for the recieving dept. The hours wee better. I was told that I would not be qualified for that job. Too much computer work. I just stared at the manager. It took everything I had not to ask "What the *&%&* do you think I do at the service desk? File my nails!" If you have never worked in the service booth, let me tell you it is a lot of computer or other mechanical device (Western Union, Lotto, register,......) work.
I found out latter that the reason I did not get the job was because they did not have anyone who could run all the stuff plus order.
Why they can't be honest I don't know.

Darlys I am with you. I need a Holly-fix.

Kathy I have been praying for you. I am so glad you are not in a hospital. I hope you are back to 110% soon.

Glenda glad you had a good time on your cruise. My DH and I would like to take one of the Alaska cruises. maybe in a couple of years.

Oh wonderful. The dentist just called and moved my appointment from 4 to 3:10. So I am out of here. Have a great day

Dianne
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2012 :  03:38:41 AM  Show Profile
Hello and Happy Thursday! Friday is just around the corner.

Nancy, It is nice to hear from you again. No apologies needed, just jump back in.
Dianne, I hope you can baby your machine along until you find a suitable replacement. It sure takes some of the fun out of sewing when you can't count on your machine to do the right thing...

Glenda, It sure sounds like you had your fill of lobster. And the cruise sounds so nice. Enjoy home, it must feel so good after being away for such an extended amount of time.

Holly, It is quite an undertaking for you to spend so much time with your elderly friend. I am sure you don't sleep very well while you are "on duty." Please take care of yourself. Your life is so busy I fear it would be easy for you to become quite rundown. My hat is off to you for taking on this responsibility. I don't think I would have the fortitude to add this to a plate that already seems very full. You, your family and your friend are in my prayers throughout this busy, difficult time. And I look forward to your being able to share more on this forum.

So has anyone tuned into the new fall shows yet? I watched 'Go On" and "The New Normal". I was not too impressed with the new Matthew Perry show (Go On) but, I think the New Normal show looks like it is going to have a few laughs. Our Directv is in negotiations with FOX, so we are missing all the new shows on that channel. Along with all the finales of Master Chef, etc. It is a bit annoying. After a day in the kitchen, garden, etc. I look forward to having something entertaining on TV to watch.

My tomato sauce came out very well. It sure didn't make much though ... My fingers were really stinging from all the tiny cuts I have from stripping lavendar. The acid in the tomatoes found every little scratch.

After two rough years for our peach trees, I had enough peaches to make a cobbler. DH really enjoyed a piece last night. Next up, pears ... they are ripening nicely.

Just when I thought the icky fly season was over for the horses, the tiny flies attack. They like to cling to the ponies bellies. Thank goodness for fly spray. Don't like it, but it does get rid of the flies.

Hope everyone has a great day.
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

NancySully
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Nancy
Centennial CO
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2012 :  10:25:19 AM  Show Profile
Hi, Farmgirls! It sure was nice to have some cool weather and rain. I almost forgot what rain looks like. I picked lots of basil and made pesto. Yum! There were still some peaches at the farmer's market, so I got enough to make one more batch of preserves. It was pouring rain and 53 degrees! There were only two vendors and about twenty people braving the weather.

Dianne, I feel your pain over your cranky sewing machine. I have a Brother with all the bells and whistles that I use only for fancy stitches. I have several old (OLD!!) Singers that I use for just straight stitching. Nothing sews like an old Singer!

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.
Go to Top of Page

beachymom
True Blue Farmgirl

467 Posts

Kathy
Manchester Tennessee
USA
467 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2012 :  11:03:57 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Nancy. I see you are a newbie to the forum.

I too will be cutting all my basil this weekend. I'll run it through the dehydrator then crush it all up for use later. I've been using it fresh all summer and I still have a ton left.

Pulled out all the green bean plants & gave them to the chickens to peck through for awhile. Hubby will rake the leftovers out later to add to compost pile.

I still have tons of tomatoes in the garden. I'm planting spinach and cabbage and lettuce for my fall garden. Thankfully, Jenny is still willing to help out. Hopefully by the time these new little seeds produce yummy greens, my arm will be back to normal - or close to it. I'm getting a little better every day.

Happy weekend to everybody!!

Hugs and Squishies!!

Kathy

Farmgirl Sister #3983

Take care of the land and it will take care of you.
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2012 :  3:30:25 PM  Show Profile
Kathy, glad to hear you are improving more each day. I found that surgery on my shoulder was the worst. It does take time to heal. One day at a time. Glad Jenny is still willing to help you.
Nancy, welcome. I have herbs to dry also, then transplant them to grow indoors. Hope to get that done Sunday.
I worked today, and son wants me to work Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday next week. I just can't seem to get anything done at home these days.
Hope all the rest of you are doing well. Have a great evening,

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2012 :  04:39:15 AM  Show Profile
Good morning. I hope all is well. The board has been quiet. Everyone must be busy. I have a big fall show in two weeks and need to buckle down and get some aprons and spoon jewelry made. I have a couple of new projects that I want to introduce this year. Hoping I can make enough to pay the second half of our property taxes.

The coffee shop passed inspection yesterday, so we are doing a happy dance. The inspector was excited about the truck. He loved it and seemed to genuinely want to see us succeed. Just a few minor details before we are in action.

Today the agenda is full of quail butchering, cleaning house and sewing, and possibly working on the chicken coop. Somewhere I have to squeeze in some exercise. Trying to add some exercise to my routine. No lab results yet, still waiting.

We worked 2 days jacking up the side of the chicken house and putting new support post under it. It is part of an old hog barn and the roof was sagging. I wanted to put a couple of new doors on the coop and needed to lift the sagging walls first. It needs 3 new doors. One on each end and one between the feed room and the coop itself. The interior door is done. It had a old metal closet door wired up, with a couple old window screens. A pallet on the bottom as a gate and for years my mother would swing the pallet out and duck under the screens to enter from the feed room. Too much on my back, so that was the first of the 3 doors I installed. I thought I did a great job. :) and was happy with the results. I love building things. I wished I would have taken "before" pictures. I built a frame for a wood door made from old tongue and groove boards, and opposite the door is a framed wall with wire on it so I can still see into the coop. It makes it so much easier to enter the coop from the feed room. After the 3 doors are up, I will start on the new run. Oh, I just found a picture of my mother standing in from of the old makeshift door from the coop side. I will post both pictures. I would so much rather be outside doing this kind of stuff rather than housework. :) Hubby stays out of my way. He has no clue how build anything. I can not even trust him to cut a board correctly. But he helps with manpower. Holding heavy boards, jacking up the jack to jack up the wall. So we make a good team. And when he is not needed, he manages to get the hog pen scooped out or the rabbit hutches cleaned. Poor guy gets the "poop" jobs. :)

Well, I better get breakfast over and get my day started. I hope everyone enjoys their day.

Before with the old makeshift door After with the new door and wall.

My 4 yr old granddaughter, Lily. She is watching her big sisters new
chicken. I think this chicken had better run by the expression on Lily's face. :)

Patty #1840

Edited by - thebyrdhaus on Sep 15 2012 04:49:48 AM
Go to Top of Page

littlegirl54
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Connie
Rio Linda California
USA
61 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2012 :  10:15:55 AM  Show Profile
Wow, Patty, you have been busy for sure. Love the changes to the chicken house, but it brings back bad memories for me....hens flying over head.....ewwwww. I think my coop would have to be short for me to be able to deal mentally.
It has been a hectic work week for me, and I am only going to be off this one day. Back to the cubicle tomorrow for more mindnumbing work....but I do take my crafting with me for break time and lunch. After all, I have to do something to keep me from going bonkers.

Life's too short to sit in a box all day. Get out and do something creative.

Connie H.
Farmgirl Sister 4152
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2012 :  3:39:13 PM  Show Profile
Patty, Your handiwork looks great. You have been incredibly busy. Glad to hear you are working in time for exercise, too. sure seems like of all of us, you are the one least likely to need it, though. But, there is a difference to your body between working hard and making your body work hard. Hope the test results come back with good news.

Connie, I'm with you, I would like the chickens to stay on the ground. That must have been scary for you as a kid. Birds flying into my hair and that sort of thing is creepy to me. What sort of portable crafts to you take to work?

Kathy I am so jealous of your tomatoes. Mine are about done. I have started the Fall trimming.

Marianne.
Go to Top of Page

littlegirl54
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Connie
Rio Linda California
USA
61 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2012 :  8:54:52 PM  Show Profile
Marianne, I take my small to medium knitting or crochet projects mostly, but I have been known to take a quilt to work on in small bits once in a while. You know, you have 15 minutes at breaks, and 30 for lunch.... so why not craft, it makes your eyes focus differently than just staring at the computer.

Life's too short to sit in a box all day. Get out and do something creative.

Connie H.
Farmgirl Sister 4152
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2012 :  02:09:25 AM  Show Profile
Connie, good for you! Taking your crafts with you must move you right along on those projects. I like to knit in the car. Especially in the winter. Dh likes it, too. Apparently, I do a bit less co=piloting if I am otherwise involved.

today, I think I am mostly "caught up" so I am rewarding myself with a craft day. I picked up the materials for a few harvest time projects and I am looking forward to getting started. So, junk tv and crafting, heaven on earth. At least for today it is!

I got a lot of Fall trimming of bushes and other dead branches. It looks so much cleaner to have everything trimmed up. The ground is all swept clean of all the leaves and broken twigs. I have a lot of pears ripening on my counters. The horses really love them. Also, have a large amount of blackberries going to waste... better call a friend to help consume them.

Kathy, I am so happy to hear you are doing well. What is the countdown on getting out of the sling? Jenny sure deserves an extra pat on the back for putting in the fall garden. That is well above and beyond for someone who doesn't enjoy gardening.

On Friday, we made a trip into Spokane and were driving down one of the main streets when a car with the radio thumping so loudly pulled up behind us for several stoplights. It has been quite some time since we have had to ignore that sort of nonsense. It was painful to have that thumping in our ears. It took several stoplights before we lost them. How can they stand it?

Darlys, thanks again for the recipe. I look forward to trying it. It is quite a bit different from the one I have in my collection of recipes.

Jan, you sure are working quite a lot this week. Is this a busy time of year at the shop? Does your son do a lot of rearranging for the holidays/winter?

I just know this is the week that everyone is going to find the time to check in here on the Over 50's. There are so many farmgirls that I am missing. Hope everyone is ok, just busy with the change of seasons.

marianne
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2012 :  09:35:32 AM  Show Profile
Marianne I'm here. Mostly lurking. I was feeling down in the dumps and just had nothing positive to say. I did get some scholarship money for school but only for one class. I do have financial aid but was hoping for more to offset my financial aid so I would have money for living expenses. Now I have to deal with the stress of finding enough money each month for my living needs. It isn't much but most part time jobs are jobs I have to be on my feet and I just can't last past about 4 hours anymore. Plus any job needs to work around my class schedule. This quarter isn't a big deal but I was going to have a heavy load the next two quarters so I could graduate in the summer. Now that I have to find work, I will have to reduce my class schedule and go another whole year. I'm not getting any younger and getting a job will be miraculous at best as it is. I'm feeling overwhelmed at the whole process. Plus my fibro and chronic fatigue is taking it's toll.
I feel like I'm under some kind of major test right now. One step forward and two steps back.

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com
www.bunnyrose.com
My shops:

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2012 :  10:31:36 AM  Show Profile
Bunny I am so sorry for your troubles. I can see how hard you are trying and can't seem to get a break. I also don't seem to have much to contribute these days, as I have done no gardening,crafts,canning, etc. My year has been one of struggle with a few bright spots along the way. I am so tired of everytime the economy starts picking up some stupid thing knocks it back again. Freedom of speech and freedom of the press with no limitations whatsoever is causing the world to collapse. I dont think our forefathers meant those rights to be used to twist the truth to destroy people, or entire civilizations. Where does one person or group's rights end and where does the other's begin. I hope that greedy slimy photographer who violated Kate and Will's privacy and the scum who print the pics get what they deserve, and I mean more than just fines. if this is within the law then we need to change the law. I thought we had some Invasion of privacy laws and some defamation laws.
I hope that whoever did the anti-islam film that is causing so much controversy gets sued for slander and spends the rest of their life in court. I wish our country's leaders could put our country's welfare ahead of their need to get elected or re-elected. the news is just making me sick. We are all struggling for survival, many having lost a lifetime of work and saving, while our money goes to barbaric countries to buy weapons to kill us with. Today I refuse to turn on the TV.
Patty I hope your test results turn out fine, I know they will. thanks for the pics, I always enjoy your posts so much.
I have signed up for a 5 week class on glass slumping and fusing. I have hoarded my large collection of stained glass for 25 years would you believe. this class came up so I thought I would try to do it and get focused on something interesting and all the worrysome stuff will have to wait. It's funny when you are retired everyone thinks you have nothing to do but take care of their problems both with your time and money. I need to start a business so I can say "sorry, I have to work" hate to sound like a grouch.
We got some much needed rain this week and some vey welcome cool weather. Hope it lasts.
Have a great week everybody.

hugs to all my sistas
Glenda #3534
Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2012 :  11:54:38 AM  Show Profile
I am still alive. I haven't been on for awhile. Sometimes I feel that I am being a pain to you gals or that I said something that irritated someone. If I truly do these things then please tell me so I can make it right. I really am a harmless old hen.

This is a red letter day for me. I started my new drug treatment program this morning. So far so good, but I can't drive for 14 weeks as the side effects are awful. I do hope I can get back on my feet and enjoy life to the fullest again soon. I think I was sleep walking through the entire summer. I did alot of things, but when I don't feel tip top I don't enjoy things like I should.
Any way I got my hair done this morning, I'm going to go shopping for a few fall articles of clothing, heavy house work is done, dug out my soft cuddly lounge wear, have my craft and sewing projects ready to go, and will be relying on friends and family to help me through these unpleasant treatments. This too shall pass, and I will come through the fire healthier than I am now.

My little community was rocked hard this past 2 weeks. A man has been arrested for 6 counts of sexual behavior with hispanic girls from ages 4 to 10. This man and his wife have been pillers of the community for many years. Lived their lives in their church community and given lots of mmoney and support to community projects. He is 79 years old. How many girls had to endure his sick mind all these years? God, they even adopted several hispanic children and raised them as their own. SICK!

Well taa taa chickie poos. Next time I am on I hope to be a little more upbeat.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 218 **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Farmgirls over age 50 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page