doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2012 :  6:08:18 PM  Show Profile
wow, Holly, great news--brings tears. I also will hope and pray nothing goes wrong.

hugs to all my sistas
Glenda #3534
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2012 :  6:34:59 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

We had problems with growing potatoes one year and I believe the low poundage is from the lack of rain. I would not give up on the raised bed idea. At least if you have to remove the soil to start again you can sift out the larva and overwintering potato bugs. I was so disappointed one year when I was digging in the garden one early spring day and dug up potato beetles. I know they overwinter somehow but not in my garden!

We have found a potato farm nearby that has scoop your own potatoes one day a year for .25 a pound. We have done that several years and it has replaced us planting our own.

I think Glenda you might have a skunk who is looking for grubs in your plants. It is probably because you water your plants and all of the ground around you is so dry this year. I do not know anything about armodillos or oppossums so my guess is skunk. So, now that I am through page 243 I see that man of my guesses have been nixed. Woodchuck? Billy Goat?

Marianne I too will soon have the excitement of having my septic tank pumped. I received my second reminder postcard in the mail so I had better get on the phone before the cover is under three feet of the lovely white stuff.

Bunny A library job. How great. Now do not spend all of your hours reading the books. That would be my downfall hiding in the stacks reading the periodicals.

I have been thinking about people not posting because we do not want to share bad news or we hide inside ourselves blaming ourselves for not doing it right, for not living up to expectations that we feel are considered success. We are out own worse enemies sometimes. I will repeat now what we all know and have heard. As women we are expected to take care of the world and keep quiet about anything that might bother someone else because then we would be failing in our mission of perfect care giver. We all know this is bunk. We all need to get by it and trust ourselves and each other. We are all in the same boat. We all care and we would all give the shirts off our backs to each other if possible. I do not feel that anyone has the corner on complaints. I like to hear about others because then I know I am not alone. Isn't that why each of us types? Off the soap box now. You all are important to me and many others have voiced the same sentiment.

Hugs to you all. I am so glad you are in my life.
Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2012 :  7:05:29 PM  Show Profile
Holly, it is so good to hear from you. I know you have been so busy lately. Tai Chi classes sound good. Hope you are enjoying them. What wonderful news!!!!! I hope you do get the boys there before the Holidays. Ross will be so excited, I am sure. How great!!!! I am so happy for all of you!!!!
I am also so glad that I have all of you in my life. It keeps me going all day long!!!!
My brother in law came over today to rake up the acorns in the yard. He couldn't get over how many there are. He will be back tomorrow to finish, if it does not rain. He is using them for deer feed. Saves me alot of yardwork!!!!
Glenda, your glass class sounds very interesting. That is something I always wanted to do, but never did learn. I used to teach porcelain doll classes and had my own kiln, but now I do not have any of that. We don't have many classes for anything around here. Not enough interest I guess.
Have a great evening,

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

damajana
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Jana
Albuquerque NM
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2012 :  10:26:45 PM  Show Profile
Ok, farm sisters, I'm jumping in! I'm soooo impressed with you all and your sharing of real lives and concerns! I'll try to share and be real, too. As an old nurse and natural listener. I don't let myself get too personal with alot of people, but I can tell already, this is a great place to begin. The only yd diggers I can think of are my dogs and roadrunners. They dig up around things in my garden, looking for snails. In the early morning sometimes we are awakened to a cracking noise out in front. It's a roadrunner mom showing her baby how to crack open snails and get to the meat! They are fascinating birds, so dinasaur-like. One particularily dismal summer(for me and my health), I watched a whole family of them who had taken up residency in our urban cul-de- sac, as they hatched, cared for and taught the babies how to hunt and live. I always think I should write a short story about it, "Summer of the Roadrunners". It was fascinating and the only thing that seemed to get my mind off my own mind at that time. I'm sure that they were a gift to help me along. Glenda, I see you are in Texas, so you may have roadrunners, but probably not the critter-digging kind.

Weighing heavily on me right now is our 29-yr-old son, who lives with us and his struggles with drug recovery, job-keeping dilemmas, a darling 19-mo old daughter who spends alot of time here with us. (He adores her and she's about the only positive light in his life right now.) We of course dote on her, ourselves. He needs to not be living with us, but we can't bring ourselves to muttle up her little already-complicated life any more than it already is. This is her most stable reliable home. Since I suffer with depression that is very difficult to treat and have for over 20 yrs, it makes it alittle harder to deal with everything, I'm sure. I'm also in the middle of medication changes and that takes time and patience to see if they are going to work or not, etc. etc. That's all the whining I can possibly do and hope to not bore you all too much. I want to tell you, dear new friends, that my heart has room and goes out to all of you and your trials. I understand very much about money stresses, disappointments, but especially am reminded of God's blessings as I read back thru your postings and see how you progress even daily. He's in all our lives, or we wouldn't have all these great experiences and love to bring to each other. Thanks for being here and hang in there. I'll try to hang with you. Bless you tonight in your dreams. Jana
Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2012 :  05:17:01 AM  Show Profile
Good morning ladies. I found out nothing yesterday at the Dr. They drew 8 more tubes of blood for test. I took the paperwork to the lab and the little girl in there said "That's thick"...was my thought too. I have an ultrasound on Tues. Hopefully, then I can rest. I still feel great, but when a little ache or pain sneaks in I worry...lol.
Heading to the farmer's market this morning. Not enough involved for baskets this week. So will shop for myself. Nice little road trip for just me and Remington.
\Jana- God must feel that right now your son needs you as much as you need him, or as much as you need that baby around. I am sure he has the time picked out for a separation.

Janet- I have been rakeing up the acorns in our yard and throwing them to our pig Arnold. I figure if pigs in the wild eat them, he would like them. He would much rather have the potatoes and gravy my momma feeds them.

Holly- How wonderful for you to have 2 little boys added to your family! I raised 3 boys and a girl and am kinda partial to little boys. I am so excited for you and cn hardly wait to hear about all of that excitement in your family.

Glenda- The "kiln carving" sounds wonderful. I wonderful if 4" tiles could be made to put on a wall? I have been thinking of ideas for my backsplash in the kitchen. We have been here in this house almost a year and a half now and my kitchen needs painted, especially between the cabinets. Glass would look so pretty.

Kathy- You remain on my prayer list for a steady recovery. How lucky to still have tomatoes. This was such a bad year for us and tomatoes. We had very few and they were so small. Drought was not good to us.

Bunny- How exciting for the new job. The library would be an awesome place to land a job! I am so happy and excited for you.

Dianne- It is so sad that the economy has caused us to be a nation full of "homeless" . And alot of the homeless are our generation as well. Businesses go under and leave those over 50 without jobs and at our age it is hard to find a job. Employers want youth. Sad, but true. I have seen those who have had homes for years lose them. I don't believe owning a home is the "American dream" any longer. Our home is paid for but we struggle to pay the insurance and taxes on it every year since retiring.

Nancy- Have loads of fun with you S-I-L. I love it when out of town company come for a visit! It can be so much fun.

Patty #1840

http://ladygonegreen.blogspot.com/

A rind is a terrible thing to waste. Compost.

When they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, “Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted.”
-Jesus in John 6:12 NIV Bible
Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2012 :  1:59:16 PM  Show Profile
If WalMart Keeps lowering their prices why isn't anything free yet?

Holly - WOW!!!! I am so happy for you and your household! You are such a special family. I just want to travel to Vermont and give you a thousand hugs. I am so impressed that you are taking both brothers. A family should not be split up. Thank you for that. What a Christmas Ross is going to have. Does he know?

Jana - I am proud of you for taking a risk and sharing your burdens with us. I'm sure that wasn't easy. I have not had a child who has your son's problems, but my heart goes out to you and him. I understand that being an enabler and being supportive are only a hair line apart. If he needs a home and you enjoy having him and his child around I see nothing wrong with that. The good Lord will intervine when the time is right so hang in there.

Glenda - what a talented person you are! My personal media is fabric, but I am far from being a fabric artist. Can't wait to see a picture.

Bunny - working in a library; how perfect! When I retired I wanted to work in a library part time,
but since there were no jobs available I just volunteer. We are getting a new library so I will have plenty to do once materials are moved up the street. My favorite job is reading to the preschoolers, but they only let me do that once every six weeks. If you work hard they may increase you hours next semester.

I have been thinking about what a talented group of chicks we are. Some of us sew, others garden, doll making, cooking, working with livestock, cutting hay, teachers, students, glass tile makers, Tai Chi, painters, quilters, scrapbookers, photographers, and the list goes on.

Patty - what is going on with you girl? I hope your doctors will give you some peace of mind soon.

Kathy - I am sorry that you are still in so much pain. Is there anything you can take to improve your comfort level?

I have been feeling pretty good, still very dizzy so I have to be careful. I tried washing a window yesterday. Well the next thing I new I was on the floor. I do know better than to look up with my head tilted back. Sunday my oldest son and his family are coming to help us dig potatoes and put up some fall scarecrows and stuff. I'm afraid I'll tip over again if I bend over to pick potatoes off the ground. giggle We will make a hearty beef stew, homemade doughnuts, and hot apple cider. Hows that for a fall outing? I made a small batch of tomato soup for lunch. It was good! Now I'm thinking that I should put up a few jars for winter use. We may get a freezing frost tonight so this might be the end of our tomatoes. We will still have some glorious fall days ahead, and I am looking forward to every one of them!

Well chickie poos it is time for me to be on my way. Take care everyone and have a fun-filled weekend!

Edited by - Thelma on Sep 21 2012 2:11:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

Cooknnana
True Blue Farmgirl

213 Posts

Kathryn
Chandler OK
USA
213 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2012 :  3:02:01 PM  Show Profile
Hello All My farm girlfriends… I have been missing all of you, so much.

It has been really busy at the Doc’s office most of the summer and then computer problems set in. We got a Trojan and several other smaller viruses, which have now been fixed. Unfortunately, the protection programs, that were installed, don’t like this computer too much; I keep having major slow downs and websites being refused access or only allowed partial access, so life has been difficult. What did we ever do without all these gadgets? If they go down we can’t seem to function well without them. LOL

It has been really, really hot here. For most of the summer it has been near 120 (with heat indexes) and in some areas higher; with no rain. Thankfully we had a bit; at least it brought the fire danger down. Oh yes, and fires, WOW, have ever had fires.

I am so sorry I’ve missed so many birthdays, so HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! to everyone who has had a birthday this summer. I’ll try to keep up better from now on.

Holly, I just wanted to let you know that my mother just loves receiving your notes. She speaks of you as if you’ve been life long friends. Every time I visit she has to show them to me and she rambles on and on about what’s happening in Holly’s world. It’s great! I just love it! You are a blessing to both of us. (Mmmmwwwaaahhh)

Welcome to all the new gals; I suppose, to you all I seem like the newbie, but welcome anyway.

I’m not even going to try to catch up with all that I’ve missed, though; that would just take too long, so please excuse me if I ask questions that were answered weeks ago. (heeeheee)

I have been at the office six days a week, so by the time I get home I don’t do much of anything, but I picked up a ser of king sized sheets and, as soon as I have time, I am going to cut out some nighties for my granddaughters. I am also still determined to make some quilts; lap quilts, at the very least. Time is my handicap right now.

Anyway, I won’t keep you any longer, but if this computer will let me…I will be checking in again every day…well, except for the weekend still.

Love and hugs, my friends!

Kathryn

If there is a will, there's a way; find your way!

Sister #3282
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2012 :  3:45:24 PM  Show Profile
a word to the wise-----just a friendly reminder

a lot of viruses and hackers make their way in to our computers via the chain letters, we open them because it is from someone we know. Please everybody exclude me from any chain letters be they political, religious, funny, whatever. I do not pass them on and I delete them as soon as I realize what they are and then I have to do a full scan of my computer. I have had my email hacked twice by this type thing so be cautious dear sisters.... both times my email was hacked I deleted all emails and started over. if you get an email from me that doesnt have a subject that is personal from me, delete it, because I just opened one of them without realizing what it was. Also, BTW any new sisters, don't forget that this a public forum, meaning anybody can view it without signing in or being a member, so never post yours or anyone else's personal info. Members only can click on your name in the sidebar and see your info so no need to ever post it in the thread for all to see.
Oh, by personal info I only mean full names,addresses,phone numbers, email addressess. of course we share very personal stuff about our lives every day.

Kathryn, welcome back..what a clever idea about the sheets. I think I will try that for myself. I never see PJs in the stores that I like.

Thelma, you silly girl, what are you doing washing windows anyway? you are missing out on a great op to "take it easy".

Patty, yes you can make any size tile you want to. It would be a big job to make a lot of them, tho.

Jana welcome again to the sisterhood--I was lucky with my two kids but
addiction and depression have taken its toll on other family members. Somewhere back in the posts when I was having a particularly difficult time one of the sisters posted a pic of a circle of hands so close your eyes and envision all our hands circling you with love and protection. that's what we do here.

hugs to all my sistas
Glenda #3534

Edited by - doll58maker on Sep 21 2012 4:37:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2012 :  4:42:54 PM  Show Profile
Oh, also Jana I do have roadrunners but I haven't seen them digging. I've heard they will kill rattlesnakes - hope that is true. Used to see a lot of them but the wildlife seems to be leaving as the developers move in.

hugs to all my sistas
Glenda #3534
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2012 :  05:08:53 AM  Show Profile
Good morning.

Bunny, congratulations on getting that job at the library. I am so happy that prayer has been answered. It is great that you can work around your class hours.

Holly, how wonderful to be getting those boys. They will find a wonderful home full of love, fun, and great blessings. And Ross will have 2 brothers to grow up with.

Kathy it is nice to hear that your DD is helping you. Jenny must be glad to have the help, too.

Glenda I am anxious to see how your work from the glass class looks. What a fun time it sounds like you had. With your talent I am sure your piece will be very pretty. Love you, sister.

Jana thanks for sharing. When I first came on, I found it hard to share. I am glad that you have your little granddaughter to brighten things for you. I took depression/anxiety meds for many years but have now gotten off them because the side effects are worse now that I am older. I just live a more quiet, less complicated life than in the past. I work hard at keeping my health good even though I still have awful sleeping problems. You are in my prayers for you and your family.
My mom lived in the So. California desert near Palm Springs and I always loved seeing those road runners. Thanks for the fun information on them.

Thelma I love your comment on the WalMart. Free?? the prices of most things keep going up and up. We eat lots of fresh veggies and fruits at my house and my grocery bill is getting bigger and bigger. If China stops making things to sell to Walmart, where will Walmart be? hahaha!
Now you take it easy and be very careful about what you are doing. We here, do not want to hear that you fell and hurt yourself. You are such a blessing to us and we love you so take care during this time with that medication. You'all hear sister? :)

I went to a quiltfest at the convention center in Jacksonville yesterday. I was so pleasantly surprised at all the beautiful and creative quilts displayed there. One of my favorites among the many was an art quilts, of King Kong only it was a girl. In the background was the jungle and the Empire State building with a little airplane. It was so funny and what a sense of humor the maker has.
I was with my sewing group ladies so we had lunch together after seeing the show. I ended up buying two art quilt patterns and a little swatch of fabric. I will post some of the most fun quilts I saw soon.

The weather here today will be nice. We had a whole day of rain on Thursday which is always welcome. I took the dog for a walk in the woods before the rain had started and we ended up walking and getting pretty wet when it started to rain. I don't think Snuggles was very happy to be so wet as her tail went from straight up to down. I started to sing the song, Singing In The Rain.

Hugs and continued prayers,

Nancy

Make everyday a celebration of the heart.
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2012 :  10:33:50 AM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Hi all, I'm going to try to respond to pages 344 and 345 and if I can remember what I read I might chime in with some others. LOL

Nancy, I sure wish I could go to something like quiltfest here, but of course we are so rural it would take an hour or more to get to a city large enough to hold something like this. but it sure is fun hearing you talk about it. I want to thank you again for the little Dottee doll...she hands on my desk lamp so I can enjoy her everyday. So sweet of you to do her for me.

Jana, welcome, you will soon feel like these wonderful ladies are old friends, they will make you feel loved. We are here for each other so share away. Isn't that was BF are for?

Patty, my sweet sista...please keep me posted on what the DR has to say...love ya girl...take it easy please don't over do it.

Holly, I'm so excited about the new additions to your family, these will be some lucky children. I sure hope it happens before the holidays too.You are such an amazing woman, with all the love and kindness you have in your heart. I have my little clay doll with the hat and bathing suit on..sitting on my desk right under the monitor...so I get to see her everyday. thank you again for making her for me. You are such a busy little bee...I am amazed with all the energy you have....can you MAIL me some?

Glenda, thanks for the virus warning...I really appreciate it...sure don't want anything to happen to my puter...lol

Kathryn, OH MY 120 now that is HOT... and don't worry about the birthdays, we all know how no time is...lol...I'm the same way here...love my job but sometimes seems like I stay there a whole lot more than I do at home.

Thelma, HI!!!! lol...I agree with you...the ladies here have so much talent. I feels so blessed to have all of you in my life, if I don't know how to do something I can always ask here and someone will have the knowledge I need. Oh and I might have to jump on a plane just to get one of those homemade donuts...

Janet, my DH planted sawtooth oak trees years ago, he said it was for the deer...the deer just started coming to them....We can almost sit on the front porch and hunt, We don't have any classes here like Glenda does either, just one little sad thing about living so far in the country and only living close to a small town(10 miles) That is the town I work in now.

Kathy, I saw you hide that pool boy under your bed, bring him out from there...don't make me climb under there after him...lol You are in my prayers and I hope you have a full recovery very soon

Bunny, I am over the moon with excitement about your job...you go girl!!!!!!! I am so glad things are working out..

Dianne, I agree with you about the homeless...there are so many kinds of homeless. I sure hope this is a great school year.

Well guess I need to run...finished another baby blanket last night. I will get a pic of it soon and will share it. So how many of you remember when my youngest moved to MI? And how happy I was when he moved back down here even tho it was 2 hours away. He got laid off a couple weeks ago and the job hunting hasn't been going to well. He called me at the beginning of the week, to get my opinion on something...Now wait for THIS!!!!! Last year he went with a friend(best friend that is a girl) to Roatan, Honduras for a week. His BF's Aunt owns a small resort there. Anyway. He decided, since he is laid off and is having trouble finding a job that it would be the perfect time to go on vacation. So he called the Aunt and she told him he could stay at the resort free of charge and all meals included if he would help her son with any maintenace ...so he left this morning and is planning on being gone a month...a WHOLE MONTH.. and he hopes that if he does a good job while there that she may asked him to stay for good....for some reason, this isn't bothering me as bad as I thought it would...without going into lots and lots of details...it seems like EVERYTHING worked out so easily for this trip.

Well guess that is enough gabbing for me. But for the ones of you that also remember the trouble I have had with Jim's sister and stepmother, I ask if you could say an extra prayer for me for Sunday...Family reunion time...Thanks...love you all and miss ya bunches

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...

My blog: http://ourgeorgiafarm.blogspot.com

Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/pgmcgee/#

Edited by - Acelady02 on Sep 23 2012 7:30:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2012 :  01:20:57 AM  Show Profile
Hello everyone. How wonderful to have so much to catch up with!

Bunny, when do you start your classes?

Thelma, Add my voice of caution to everyone else's. Finding yourself on the floor must have been very scary. Let's not have a repeat! It must be very hard to keep as still as you should, but you have proven how important it is! It sure is easy to injure yourself taking a spill like that.Maybe you should postpone putting up tomato soup and those kind of endeavors.

Nancy, that quilt fest sounded very fun. The girl King King quilt sounds so imaginative! I would have admired that, too. It seems that it was a lovely outing with your group.

Penny, Long time, no hear! So cool to get caught up GF! You just jump back in and tell us all about your son's cool adventure. Wouldn't that be a hardship to go visit him at a resort, LOL! Would he be happy doing that? You know, living in paradise, all that...

Kathyn, I certainly wish you never had computer issues. I just miss hearing from you and the viruses are keeping you from posting. You know that no one is keeping score about missing birthdays. Hope you get a break from that heat. Such high temperatures are hard to imagine. I am glad that Doc's business is doing so well. He treats you so well and you work so hard for him, just nice to hear that things are as they should be.

Dianne, school sounds busy. The homeless definitions were eye opening. Thanks for sharing them, We are on a dry lightning watch tonight, how about you? Fire danger is at the Red Flag stage, so the lightning is very unwelcome.

Kathy, Big hugs for one handed typing!! Good to hear from you. Nice to know your daughters are taking care of you. We have a couple pumpkins on the vines, but no butternut squash, you lucky duck. I am so sorry that you are still in so much pain. Does you dr. think your level of pain is appropriate for this point of recovery? And take it easy on the pool boys.

Holly, I think it is wonderful that your children are learning to manage their time for their schoolwork. That is such an important skill along with prioritizing. so, they are learning such valuable life skills that will serve them the rest of their days. Moment of Silence for Mr. Guinea. He was my kind of guy ... family oriented, brave to the end. Fall seems to be right on time in your area, so it must feel good to have the turkeys in the freezer. Tai Chi sounds so interesting to me. Isometric exercises and slow movement are both good workout methods for me, so Tai Chi might be something I might try. Please post about it some more!

Jana, I pray you are getting strength from our support. It can be so lonely when problems invade. I am so happy to have you with us.

Washington is having a tough time fighting fires right now and tonight's weather, with the lightning, is not helping. Two of the big fires are close to joining each other for one supersized fire. Our air quality is "unhealthy." A nice cleansing rain with some breezes would be welcome.

Dh and I spent Saturday at home. He is touching up the paint around the doors so it looks clean and fresh. I worked on my apron for some time. Dh and I are going to visit Dd next Weekend. I am so anxious to see her apt. It will be so fun. The trip will be quick, just over and back the next day. The three dogs are coming with us. (Oh joy) The labs will stay with Dd overnight and the little one will stay with us in the hotel. So, this week I will have lots to prepare for!
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2012 :  09:19:19 AM  Show Profile
Marianne, school starts tomorrow. I always stress for the first few weeks until I get a good routine going.

Penny, do you know the name of the resort? My son is saving up money to go therenwithnhis girlfriend after the first of the year. He wants to scuba dive most of the time. How is your job doing?

Nancy, sounds like your quiltfest was inspiring. Now don't tuck those patterns away for too long.

Glenda, glad your class went well. I do hope you show us pictures. Hope your family is doing better.

Well Mom got home last night. Doesn't sound like she is moving away anytime soon. She went to visit my older stepsister's father. She was all ready to move in with him. But when she got there he had fallen that morning and was using a walker. She had to help him get out of chairs and up stairs. I think it sunk home that he is an old man. He is 82. She would doing all the work all day. She is a total gold digger looking for someone to take care of her. (has been her whole life). So I won't be getting the house to myself anytime soon.

Anyway, I have a blog to write today and cards to print. I'm turning quilt designs into digital art greeting cards. They will be on my etsy site soon I hope. I am in a blog hop and have to have everything done by Oct.2 of course I have been putting it off.

Prayers for those that need healing and family issues.

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com
Handmade stuff http://www.etsy.com/shop/CuriousOrangeCat?ref=ss_profile

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2012 :  06:01:40 AM  Show Profile
Good morning gals! Wow, I just looked at the clock. I didn't realize it was so late in the morning. I better hurry and make this brief. :) I am heading out today with my mother, sister, cousin and aunt. We are taking my aunt to the casino and out to lunch for her birthday today. Tomorrow is my ultrasound and I have to be in Springfield at 7am. It will probably be a long day. Am looking forward to having all of this testing behind of me. Somewhat stressed and worried over it, but the plus is, I still feel great.
I made some soup butternut soup yesterday using coconut milk. It was really good. I haven't taken dairy completely from my diet, but I have cut back quite a lot. Mostly just meat, veggies and fruit. I am eating tons of veggies.

Bunny- Let us know when you have you greeting cards online and post a link. They sound wonderful. Don't stress over school too much. :)

Nancy- I so would have loved to join you at the quiltfest. It sounds so much fun. I have a quilt of the quilt rack that I am going to try to finish this winter. It takes me forever to hand quilt a quilt. I am not real diligent. lol. I am making our weekly trips to the farmers market and my grocery bill is getting smaller. I bought 3 cases of cantaloupe for $20. That is 28 cantaloupe. I shared some to friends for $1 each and they will keep in my spare refridgerator in the garage for a couple of weeks. My parents and Dal and I eat alot of cantaloupe, so it won't go to waste. They are $2.69 ea. in the store. We get such great deals on case prices, but I had to buy all 3 of the cases the vendor had to get this great deal.

Thelma- I agree, by now everything should be free at WalMart. lol... I made list this month and decided to buy all I need for the month at WalMart in one trip. Since hubby is retired, we are on a budget or at least we should be..lol. I always end up buying extras and unneccesary items when I go in there, so decided it was only going to be one trip in there a month. This should save us some money.

Marianne- I hope you had a wonderful visit with you daughter over the weekend. How exciting to visit with her and see where she now lives!

Penny- Good luck to your son and his endeavors. I hope it all works out for him. It sounds like the maintainance could be a great opportunity.

Well, off I go. I need to shower, feed quail and get out of here in 45 minutes...lol. I hope each of you have a great productive day!

Patty #1840

http://ladygonegreen.blogspot.com/

A rind is a terrible thing to waste. Compost.

When they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, “Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted.”
-Jesus in John 6:12 NIV Bible
Go to Top of Page

Cooknnana
True Blue Farmgirl

213 Posts

Kathryn
Chandler OK
USA
213 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2012 :  07:20:01 AM  Show Profile

Good morning Girlfriends! Hopefully, my computer will cooperate long enough for me to get this posted.

Wow, Nancy, a quilt fest; I wonder if they even have one of those around here; sounds like fun.

Penny, I know what you mean; I certainly feel like the office is where I live. I’m only at my house at night and on Sundays. That’s when I just sit and stair at the walls, too tired to do anything, but thinking the whole time about all the things I want to do, you know? I feel a bit embarrassed, though that you seem to manage to get things like baby blankets done and I can’t seem to even mend the hem on a pair of pants; could you bottle some of that and send it to me…PLEASE!? Lol

Marianne, I have a tendency, because of the heat and the fact that the air conditioning is out on my car, to stay at the office until the sun goes down. At least not having the sun on me along with the heat makes it easier for me to get home without having heat related problems, if you know what I mean. The temps are down a bit though in the last couple of weeks; today, for example, is only supposed to be in the mid nineties, which usually means the upper nineties with a heat index of one hundred or better. We’re definitely breaking out the parkas with that kind of cooling trend…rigggghhhhhtttt. : /

It is good that Doc is doing so well; he is starting a free, homeopathic study group the last Thursday of every month, so I’ll be home even later on those nights, but I’ll be sure to give you all the highlights, if you’re interested. Oh, and certainly, you are all welcome to join us…I’m sure that it will be no problem for any of you to head this way, once a moth, for an evening of holistic healing study; I’m sure that ‘Albatross Air” even flies from remote places like…Florida and….California…and they have flights leaving all the time and I will have no trouble putting you all up in my 600 square foot house…. ; D

Bunny, have fun in your new class; what taking this semester? Don’t worry, you’ll do great, whatever it is.

Glenda, did you teach or take a class? What was the subject matter? Most important of all, did you enjoy it?

You all have a great day!

Love and Hugs,

Kathryn

Sister #3282
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2012 :  07:42:37 AM  Show Profile
Good morning everyone. First day of school for me. I'm taking beginning Algebra this morning. Then off to sign employee papers and scheduling with the library. I did get two sets of my gift cards finished up and printed. They look pretty good. At least that's what my mom said. She was impressed. I have them on my Etsy site. Here is one of the sets.

Hope you like them. I plan on working on a Christmas set soon. I already have two cards done and just need two more. I got my blog posting done for the blog hop. It is on October 2. If you want to see how to do this, check it out.

Anyway, a little stressed. Lots of work to do this week for school. I know it will get better. I just need to get into the "mode".

Later all. Have a wonderful day and prayers for health and family!

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2012 :  12:37:59 PM  Show Profile
Good afternoon everyone.

I spent the weekend in southern New Hampshire at the Girl Scout Camp I went to when I was a child. I have been going to this adult weekend for more than fifteen years. It is a good time. I catch up with friends I haven't seen for a year. We play games. We make crafts. I taught how to make shakere. These are beads macrame ed around a gourd to make a shaking instrument. I decorated cupcakes. I played ridiculous games. One was pass the ball around a circle until the music stops then the person to the right of the person holding the ball picks out an item of clothing for the ball holder to put on. We were very silly. We played Twister. I won my round.

The pigs got out of their pen on Saturday. it took the family at home four hours to find them and get them back in the pen. The biggest problem was my ds (15) looked only in the top of the field across the pond instead of in the whole field. The pigs were in the lower part of the field.

I forgot to tell you a funny story. Last week my brother called me just as I was going down to put the cows in for the night. I used the portable phone and carried him a long. The cows were in the field when I started getting the stall ready. I put her grain in the bucket and was walking down the aisle of the barn to put it in Coco's stall. In comes Ferdinand the bull calf and Gershwin his year younger sister. Phone tucked under my ear. grain bucket in two hands. Ferdinand wanting to play. Me needing to punch him in the neck to get him to move over and stop head butting me. I dropped the phone in the bucket of grain. punched Ferdinand in the neck. He moved back. Hustled by to get Coco in. dug the phone out of the grain. My brother was still on the phone. Laughing and laughing. Ferdinand who will soon be steak out weighs me by 500 pounds probably. My punching him got his attention. It did not hurt him.

Jana I know nothing about roadrunners except what used to be on the cartoons. I would like to read your story. The day program person for my eldest special needs foster daughter has a daughter who deals with drug dependancy. It is a long hard road for the family members. How do you love your son or daughter and not enable them. She is now focusing on taking care of her grand children. Talking to her daughter but not giving her money or bailing her out. I send you strength and warm hugs.

The children need me so off I go.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2012 :  8:37:36 PM  Show Profile
Holly, Just a quick note ... you know that isn't what people mean when they talk about bullfighting, right?

Just kidding, I would have loved to have seen you getting Ferdinand's attention. Your hardest punch would feel like a mere tap to him!! I guess that's how it goes when you try to multitask around animals or young children. Generally, someone ends up in a bucket of grain ... this time it was your brother! That had to be SO loud. I bet he had a good laugh.

Well, I enjoyed a bit of gardening yesterday. Got some fall trimming and cleaning done. Today, I can hardly move. Gosh, I hurt. I am glad dh is not here to chastise me. He was "on" me to come in, but I was having too much fun. I wasn't out that long or anything. I really notice a difference in what I can do compared to just last year. It doesn't seem like I should be losing ability that fast, like it should be more gradual ... I do keep up with my exercise, etc. But, I guess I can't just keep the degeneration of my spine at bay much longer. So, I slow down. Pity party has come to an end. I am so lucky to be able to rest when I need to and set my own pace to keep my comfort level as high as possible.

Patty, special prayer for your test tomorrow. Last one for a while? So glad you continue to feel so good. Your soup sounds delicious and you sure are doing well watching your diet.

Bunny, I think your cards are beautiful... looking forward to the Christmas collection. I am one of the weirdos in this world who loves math. Algebra is the best!

Kathryn, You sound like you have found your niche in life. Helping so many people through your "doc" and it sounds like you enjoy it. Glad you still find time for your grands on the weekends.

see ya tomorrow
marianne
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2012 :  04:57:38 AM  Show Profile
Holly I can just see all that funniness going on. Your brother sure had a good laugh and so did I.

Bunny, the cards are so pretty. I love the way you use those bright, cheery colors. I remember taking algerbra. I did okay with it. It was the geometry that I had trouble with. I am sure you will do very well.

Waiting for some rain today and headed out to my sewing group. I have one more small quilt to make and then I will be making some art quilts.

My prayers for all of you especial you dear girls with health issues.

Have a glorious day.

Hugs,

Nancy

Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2012 :  05:00:48 AM  Show Profile
Holly I can just see all that funniness going on. Your brother sure had a good laugh and so did I.

Bunny, the cards are so pretty. I love the way you use those bright, cheery colors. I remember taking algerbra. I did okay with it. It was the geometry that I had trouble with. I am sure you will do very well.

Waiting for some rain today and headed out to my sewing group. I have one more small quilt to make and then I will be making some art quilts.

My prayers for all of you especial you dear girls with health issues.

Have a glorious day.

Hugs,

Nancy

Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2012 :  06:06:04 AM  Show Profile
Just a quick note before I get dressed. My girlfriend and I are going out to lunch. We have not done that in almost a year. Everyone is always so busy. Guess we should just make the time for our friends.
Holly, that was the funny story of the day. Good thing it was not a bucket of water!!!
Nancy, how nice to be able to go to seing groups and quilt shows. Not much of anything around here. A couple of craft shows, and that;s about it.
Marianne, be careful and don't overdo. I know it is hard to pace ourselves when we enjoy doing things. I also cannot do what I used to do, but hey, a little at a time, it will wait for you,ya know!!! LOL!!!
Patty, good luck with your tests. I need to go on a low carb, low sugar diet, my sugar is borderline and has been for a couple of years. Dr. says to cut down on carbs and sugar, so I ordered the Atkins Diet book, should get it tomorrow. Hope there are some good recipes in it. I need to lose 40 lbs. too., so need to buckle down and do it!!!!
Bunny, hope your first day of school went well for you.
Will try to post more later,

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2012 :  03:13:24 AM  Show Profile
Jan, I hope you enjoyed your lunch with your girlfriend and made up for the year that passed without lunching out together!!
You are completely correct that anything I want to do will wait for me, thank you for your kind words.

Nancy, hope you will share some photos of your quilts when you find time. I so admire you gals who do such intricate work.

So, I get to be first online to wish Darlys a HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Hope you are treated like a queen, are surrounded by the people you love and get to blow out candles on top of a gorgeous cake. Thinking of you today.

Dh got home last night. It was a frustrating trip for him. First, he missed his appt. MOnday due to late flights. Then his computer conked out, so he was out of touch with his office and customers except for his Blackberry. Two days travel and about fourteen hours in airports to have lunch with one broker... can't blame him for feeling frustrated. So good to have him home. And he is taking about a week off starting Thursday!! Sunday and Monday we will be at Dd's. I did try to make it up to him by having a pear pie waiting for him. He had never had a pear pie until he met me (back in the Dark Ages) and he will tell people that is why he married me. He's lying of course. There were SO many reasons to marry me, they just can't be counted. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Just have to convince him to change his story .... hmmm, probably not gonna have any luck with that at this point in the game.

So, I hope you all have a great day. Bunny, I know you are keeping up with school just fine, but I hope it is also enjoyable for you. Patty, I hope your exam was noneventful and you will soon have all the answers to your concerns. Jan, I hope the recipe book gives you the support you need to keep your sugar in check. Holly, I hope you can pace yourself to keep up with all the people you serve in your life. You inspire me. Kathryn, hope you and Penny can find time to check in with us. We miss you. Kathy, I hope your dds are able to help you keep up with the busy-ness of your life, but I don't see how only two gals could do it. You do enough for at least three people. I do hope your shoulder is less painful. Darlys, enjoy the spotlight today. Glenda, post those photos of your glasswork for us to admire, please. Nancy, hope the rain materializes for you and your sewing group was productive. And the rest of you gf's, stay safe and happy.
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

Cooknnana
True Blue Farmgirl

213 Posts

Kathryn
Chandler OK
USA
213 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2012 :  06:56:56 AM  Show Profile
Darlys, I hope your special day is the better than any of us could ever possible dream up for you, because you deserve the best! Happy Birthday! Here’s a little something for your special day:

This one is just for you, now; but I think…I hope the next one is big enough for all of us to share…

Do you think it’ll be enough? I must say though, for someone your age…Baby, YOU LOOK MARVELOUS!!!

You’re in good company, today, with Olivia Newton John and Ellie May Clampett; Cool!

Love and Hugs,

Kathryn

Sister #3282

Edited by - Cooknnana on Sep 26 2012 06:59:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

Cooknnana
True Blue Farmgirl

213 Posts

Kathryn
Chandler OK
USA
213 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2012 :  07:12:46 AM  Show Profile
Bunny, I just love those cards! You do great work, my friend.

Holly, I know you were probably frustrated with the bull situation at the time, but I’m with your brother, it is freaken HILARIOUS!

Marianne, my grandmother always said I belonged in health care; I always ignored her, but she just might have been right! Lol Even if I didn’t have time, I would always make time for my lil’ girlies; they can even come to the office for short periods of time, so that’s good too.

Also Marianne, the key is, and I know you’ve heard this before, but here it is again, activities have to be done in small increments, my friend. You know your body; listen to it when it tells you its time to stop. That’s great advice, by the way, now if only I could take it for myself…hahaha.

Jan, I hope your lunch was all you hoped it would be. Spending time with friends and family is the best way to spend your time, isn’t it?

Talk to you all later,

Love and Hugs,

Kathryn

Sister #3282
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2012 :  08:07:58 AM  Show Profile
Whoo Hoo! I sold my first card set on my Etsy site along with one of my tea pouches. So excited someone noticed.
Hope to make it all the way through my day today. I have algebra, lunch and then library till 6pm.

Marianne, sorry DH had a bad business trip. Good he has you to come home to.

Time to get going. Later all!

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 218 **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Farmgirls over age 50 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly