True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2012 :  7:16:02 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

I am spending the night at our friend's house who has dementia and I figured out that I can bring our WIFI box with me and read your thoughts and add my own from here. Sometimes I am too tired to try but tonight I am going to make it through all of the posts.

Kathy I like your poem and I am glad that you are healed enough to drive. and write....

Jan thanks for thinking of me.

My partner had knee replacement surgery two Tuesdays ago. She is doing remarkably well considering what she had done. They tried to do a spinal and only one leg went numb and it was not the leg in which the knee was to be replaced so they did general anaesthesia which takes longer to get out of your system. The staples were removed today and she is feeling like progress is being made. She has to sit in a passive motion machine for 2 hours three times a day. It gradually increases the bending in then knee. The PT woman is pleased with her progress. she can walk across the kitchen with out aid. She is looking forward to being without pain finally after all these years.

Marianne - you have been successful at raisinig a well adjusted daughter. Congratulations. It is nice to know that all those years of effort have paid off. I am glad you had a great time in Seattle. I have friends who moved out there more than five years ago now. They had an awful time affording a place to live for their family. Their church owns a house with four apartments in it so they are able to rent one of the apartments. I am glad your daughter is happy and doing well.

It is too bad that your food shelves do not accept home grown produce. Our food shelf here in town does. We donate chicken and turkeys. Some people leave produce on the porch of the town hall and people take what they need.

Nancy I am so glad to hear from and about you. I a sorry your dh gave you a nasty scare with his visit to the ER. My partner took the nice pink flamingo back scratcher you sent to me from Savannah, GA and is using it to scratch under her ace bandage from the knee replacement surgery.

The weather here has been less than favorable. We have had rainy overcast skies for the last ten days except for one day. The nights have been cool and the days in the sixties. I am glad we have not had frost yet and although we have heard that North Dakota and Northern Minnesota have had snow i am very grateful that we have not had any yet.

Four days ago our dog found a pretty black kitty with two white stripes down its back in the barn. He loves to chase cats when they run. He regrets having barked at that pretty little kitty. He figured out that it was not really a kitty at all but a nasty skunk.
The next night a porcupine walked up the ten steps onto our deck. We did not let the dogs out at all and the nice porcupine left sometime in the night without leaving any gifts with our dogs. It did give my dd a thrill though.

My dd has started taking classes at the Institute for healing arts. She loves it. The first day they did energy work. She is practicing feeling people's energy to find out where they are hurt. She is quite good at it. She is so excited. It is nice to see her excited about her learning.

Sweet dreams everyone,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2012 :  05:50:04 AM  Show Profile
Holly, how nice to hear from you. You are such a busy one. Hopefully you can slow down some in the winter. Glad your partner in doing well with her new knee. I need both of mine done too, but I am in no hurry after all the other surgeries I have had. I have enough titanium in me now.
Have to get ready for dr. appointmentm this morning. That time of the year for a pap and physical. Not my favorite.
Will try to post more later. Have a great day,

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2012 :  7:04:23 PM  Show Profile
Holly, so good to hear from you! I know we all missed you. Glad to hear your partner is doing well. What is a passive motion machine?
What an awesome thing for dd to learn. I wish I could afford to take classes in that.
Funny about the cute little kitty. Been there myself with big ole Scoobydoo. It was not fun for any of us.
Your town sounds so wonderful. Sometimes I think the further west you go the less people look out for each other as a whole.

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com
Handmade stuff http://www.etsy.com/shop/CuriousOrangeCat?ref=ss_profile

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2012 :  12:23:44 PM  Show Profile
Marianne -- I have been meaning to e-mail you ... but life gets in the way. I wanted to thank you for the gorgeous birthday card. And, you have no idea how perfect an emery board is for this ol' bird's fragile nails. Seems I'm always searching for a clipper or file!
And Kathy -- Thank you, too. I am very much looking forward to planting those seeds come spring. (We are supposed to be moving to Oakhurst in - probably - May.)
I am certain (riiiight!) that I have thanked all who helped me enjoy my 70th. If I didn't thank you - please know that I THINK I did!

Last Saturday, dh and I (we were in Oakhurst) took a drive over to Bass Lake. Had lunch at The Forks - which is inexpensive, really good food, view of lake, etc. and then continued around the lake to The Pines Resort - where we had some fun checking out the kitchy shops. (Nancy, gotta tell you - Larry bought himself a sock-monkey slingshot that when you pull the tail flies through the air and does the Tarzan yell when it lands!) Then we went down to the pier and sat at a picnic table on the dock and just watched the "lake action" for about 1/2 hour before we climbed the hill back to the car and meandered on home. It was a good day and I didn't clean house at all!

Oh, sheesh! I just realized that I turned off my cell phone going into church Sunday and forgot to turn it back on. And, Nancy, there you are! I'll call you back in just a little bit!

Speaking of church - gotta share this ... the pastor started his sermon with ....

A woman had gone in to pick up her dry-cleaning and when she came out she realized to her dismay that she had locked her keys in her car. She had very important appointment in 15 minutes. It was five miles away. There was no time to call triple A. She needed a miracle. She set her cleaning on the hood of the car, bowed her head, and prayed: Lord, please send help ... send a good man who can get that door open.

Around the corner, almost on cue, came a young man - he was tattooed, had several piercings and looked pretty mean. But, he did say - "got a problem lady?" She told him she'd locked her keys in the car - and needed help. He said "no problem" and in 20 seconds had the door open. Very grateful the woman prayed again ... "Thank you, Lord, for sending such a good man to help me".

The young fellow looked embarrassed and said, "Lady, I don't deserve that kind of praise. I'm not a good man, actually, I'm on parole. I was in prison for - grand theft auto." The woman smiled and prayed again -- "Lord, You are good! Thank you so much for sending me a professional!"

On to daughter's surgery drama. It has now been rescheduled for October 23rd. Which means her son - who will have been there for the best part of the month to help out - will have left (on the 20th). I will drive down to Santa Barbara on Monday, the day before surgery and be there for the week - (Monday-Saturday). I do have to cancel my plan to take an English paper piecing class here on the 24th - but I have a book and can probably teach myself. She has a friend coming for 4 more days when I leave. After that she should be fine. If not, I'll need to go back. It's not bad - a five hour drive each way, max ... but I do get weary of being "on the road" so much of the time. I know Glenda and Patty probably have my travel time beat. So, I'll hush.

Just want to say that I've read back a couple of pages ... good to see you back, Holly. And I feel that the women here are so warm, sweet, kind and dear ... I keep all of you in my thoughts and prayers -- and sometimes wish I had time to just "be" with each of you in a real (as opposed to virtual) way.

We will make it to the low 70s in Cupertino today. Slight chance of rain in the forecast later in the week. Batten down the hatches ... winter - she's a comin' in!

Sister #3284 - on her Tippie Toes - oxox, Darlys

Chocolate Kisses ...

That is the best ... to laugh with someone because you both think the same things are funny.
Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2012 :  1:49:00 PM  Show Profile
Oh Holly, it is wonderful hearing from you. I have missed you alot. Take care of yourself. taa taa
Go to Top of Page

DEW
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

Dianne
Weiser Idaho
USA
317 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2012 :  1:58:04 PM  Show Profile
Hello from Idaho

It is cool here. not really cold yet but cool. The trees are starting to turn colors and that crispness that is Fall is in thea air.

Marianne glad the prognosis is good on your eyes. I am with you on the eye sight. I would hate to lose my sight.

School is keeping me busy. There are a lot of things to do with the different job titles. Right now is supose to be my break time, but I ususally do not get to take time. There is usually a student that needs help. I just can't say no.

Bunny thanks for the well wishes. I do feel better today. I think a lot of it is stress. There is more this year than last year. Stress can really run you down.

Glenda I think Ed is right the difference is how you feel for those 10 days.
I miss PBS as we do not have regular TV. I do have Netflix so there are a lot of things I can watch. I like haveing the choice.

Penny glad you stopped by. I miss hearing about all the things going on in your area.

Holly wonderful to hear from you. I love hearing how things are going for you and your family on the farm. Glad to hear that your partner is doing well after knee surgery. I had a friend that had both knees done. He said the second was wores than the first because he knew what to expect.

Darlys I loved the story your Pastor started with. I needed a good laugh.

The last couple of weeks have been rough. I refrain from saying to much because many of you have far more going on than I do. Please know that you are in my prayers. If you think about me send an arrow prayer for me.

Dianne
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2012 :  5:33:59 PM  Show Profile
Dianne, prayers are being sent your way. Yes, stress can really tire you out. It does sound like you have a stressful job. I hope it get better for you.
Darlys, Am praying that your DD surgery has a good outcome and that she recoups real fast. I will take your weather. Here it is in the 40s and today it rained all day and real windy again. We are in for snow on Wednesday. So far we have been missing it.
Bunny, sounds like you are adjusting very well with schoool. Hope you do have time for your sewing.
Thelma, hope things are going well for you.
I had a busy day today, cleaned the bedroom, it was getting pretty cluttered. Did a load a laundry,cleaned and froze zuchinni, green peppers, spaghetti squash and acorn squash. Sliced all my cucumbers and are soaking in a vinegar and sugar mixture with onions. For dinner I made a roasted chicken, squash, mashed potaoes and gravy, and apple crisp for desert. Now I am stuffed. My daughter was over to join us. She is not a cook. None of my family is. I love to cook and bake, but it would be nice to have a break and eat someone else's cooking once in awhile. I always tease my son and tell him to make sure if or when he ever gets married(he's 42) to marry a good cook. LOL!!! I have made Thanksgiving dinner, even in a wheelchair for the last 33 or so years.
Have a great evening,

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2012 :  6:10:51 PM  Show Profile
Hi everybody
after all my griping about tv, I'm really enjoying dancing with the stars tonight. some really good dancers there but some of the costumes make me worry about a wardrobe malfunction.
Thelma that is such a good photo of your cat, the windmill also was a great shot. you are an excellent photographer.
nancy i hope your dh is feeling ok now. darlys thanks for the update on DD. i hope everything goes smoothly. and thanks for the joke-- I needed a laugh.
tomorrow i go back to austin for my 4th glass class there is one more to go. i have been dealing with a horrible situation and the class takes my mind off it. I hope it will all be over on monday the 15th so if anybody would "bang on the gates" for me on that day I would sure be thankful. Jan, you are one busy girl, I dont think I could keep up with you. Marianne and Dianne, I hope the "crud" has let up and you are both on the mend. and holly. i hope cherie is doing well with her knee- i have heard it is really painful.
Penny, so good to hear from you. dont let them work you too hard.
well i dont want to lose this so will go ahead and post. will be gone for a few days again..take care everybody.
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2012 :  04:57:44 AM  Show Profile
Good morning,

Darlys, So that is why I couldn't call you on Monday. I will try again today. So glad that your DD's surgery is scheduled and praying all will be okay with her. I am going to look for one of those sock monkey slingshots. I did buy a sock monkey Christmas hat at Lowe's the other day.

Holly it is so good to hear from you. I love hearing all the news that is happening in your neck of the woods.

My DH's father and mother are getting so fraile and we are thinking of going up to MA for a couple of months to be near them. Now this is good. Me, in the winter up north. I haven't lived with snow and really cold weather since I was 10 years old. Well, it will be a exciting adventure if we decide to do it.

Kathy, keep getting better and better.

I pray for you dear ladies all the time. You are such caring, wonderful sisters. I hope the ones of you who have not sent Penny your birthday information will do so. It is fun sending and recieving all those cards and little goodies on one's birthday. We have 4 birthdays this month.

Keep warm with the cool days ahead. I am glad for the cooler weather here and some relief from that really HOT summer we have had.

Love to all of you.

Hugs,

Nancy

Make everyday a celebration of the heart.
Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2012 :  09:33:41 AM  Show Profile
I am feeling so much better. I had my blood work done Monday and visited with my outreach person at Mayo Clinic yesterday. Now we are waiting for the blood workup to decide if I can stay on the meds or not. I am hoping I can stay in the program. I honestly feel that I am getting better. thanks for all your concerns and prayers. You are all such wonderful sister chicks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Several of you asked about our windmill after I posted my picture. The windmill used to pump water, but when we repaired the old well we had a modern unit installed. the next owners can have it hooked back up if they choose. There is an outside water faucet next to the mill so we pretend that we are using the mill. Actually it is just a part of the landscape that gives us the wind direction. It is fun watching and listening to the blades turn. When we bought the acreage the mill was covered in beautiful purple wisteria. After spending over 6 summers trying to kill it off I decided to let it grow again. [Hubby took it down because it was growing into the blades and would have destroyed the mechanical parts.] I will just keep it trimmed back.

Some of you gals must enjoy sock monkeys too. My mom made them years ago. She stuffed them with old nylons and panty hose (never wasted anything) They were so heavy that we never played with them, but mine always sat on my bed. I found Mom's pattern and some old red heeled socks. When I looked at the pattern I decided to be lazy and purchase cheep ones for the grands. The hand made ones sells from $35 to over %100.Dollar General sold them for $5 last Christmas.

I want to say I'm sorry that I haven't gotten any chick mail sent out lately. I will try to do better from now on. I love sending and recieving chik mail. Penny if you are reading this will you please send me your latest birthday updated list. I never did get a copy of the most recent one. THANKS! You are beautiful to be doing this. tdadams@wctatel.net

Well coffee time is over so I had better get back to work. I am cleaning out my clothes closet today. Tossing or making piles for the thrift store. Main reason though is to be able to get at my sweaters and jackets. Where did those beautiful summer days go and now it is cold. We went from tanks and Ts to sweaters and jackets in less than a week. Brrrrrrrrrrrrr I have a beautiful walk in closet so am tempted to save instead of toss. Bad idea.
taa taa you wonderful chickie poos. Do something nice for yourself today!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2012 :  3:44:04 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

I have brought my WIFI box and computer to Kethry's driving lesson so I can type while she is learning the ins and outs of road safety. She is a good driver so far. She does Jack rabbit start and accelerate but we are working on that. It is hard to be a rider who is prone to carsickness when the acceleration is not smooth. She is getting better at smooth starts.

It is raining today. Yesterday and the day before were dry but overcast. We had our first frost of the season night before last. It was cold in the house. We have had the woodstove on all the time now. I have not turned on the baseboard oil heat yet. The frost killed the zucchini and summer squash plants but not the pumpkins.

Cheri's knee is healing well so far. A passive motion machine has an electric motor that has a slide on it to rest your lower leg on. The motor moves your lower leg back and forth very slowly. It bends your knee for you. You are supposed to gradually increase the amount it bends your knee during each session. It hurts some. The physical therapist said if you do not bend your knee and the scar tissue heals rigid then the doctor will put you under and force the knee to bend. Sounds nasty to me. She uses this machine once a day for two hours now and then she has exercises she must do three times a day. The exercises take her about an hour a time. She has talked about getting the other knee done in the future. the doctor did not think it was bad enough to do both knees at once. We will see how much she pushes to have the second knee done. She really wanted this one done. the end result of no knee pain should be worth the short term intense pain.

A few nights ago Kethry went out to the other barn to feed the pigs. She was supposed to do it in the early afternoon but had forgotten. She goes to unwrap the food and a big ole raccoon hisses at her. She looks up and there are two big ones and three little ones. She throws the hay bale back onto the tarp and high tails it for the house screaming as she runs. It was pretty funny. She says first the skunk, then the porcupine and now raccoons we are being invaded! as only a laughing hysterical teenage girl can screech.

Thelma the pictures are very nice. My new camera is broken. I need to mail it to canon. The lens will not go in and out to focus. I must get out my old camera and get it working. What a time of year to be without a camera.

The leaf peepers are visiting. I see cars from all over. Florida, Iowa, Michigan, Illinois and Missouri to name a few. I wonder if any of them know any of you.

Dianne taking care of people is stressful especial.ly children when you want to make everything right. Take care of yourself.

Jan you can come to my house and I will cook for you.

Nancy maybe if you do come north we could meet part way and have lunch.

Ross turned five last Saturday. He had a great time at his party. A friend of mine gave him art supplies that she has been collecting over the summer at yard sales. She would call me after each purchase to tell me what item with lots of little pieces she had gathered and laughed knowing we would have fun but also knowing how much of a mess he would make. lol He has glittered the floor. I am glad we do not have carpets. today he glittered a tomato. He has an amazing spirit.

Sweet dreams everyone

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2012 :  7:22:39 PM  Show Profile
Good evening! I am so exhausted that reading back is just too overwhelming right now! Please forgive me! We are on our 2nd week in the coffee truck and it has received a great response. If you are on Facebook you can like our page and follow us. http://www.facebook.com/JakesCoffee I have been putting in 16/17 hours a day, since we opened. We changed the hours this week so I get 4 hours off through the middle of the day. My sister worked the truck Monday pm and I left after the morning shift and headed straight to a blood drive and helped until 7:30pm. On my way home I got a phone call from my cousin. He had shot a deer and wanted me to come after it. So we made the drive to get it, then we took it out to the farm and put it up to hang. Yesterday on my break from the truck, we butchered it and wrapped it. Today on my 4 hour break I drove the 50 miles to Springfield to pick up coffee for the truck. Each morning I am up early to make the coffee and warm up the machines before we open. Each evening I have to do the bookkeeping and clean pots, clean the truck and drain the gray water tank and refill the holding tank. My sister will work Friday mornings for me, so I can go to Soulard's Market. She will also work all day Wed. so I can have a full day off. I have to be around in case she needs anything, but at least I can hang out at home. Coincidentally, There is a brick and mortar coffee shop opening in town in a couple of weeks. They started advertising about a week before we opened. We didn't tell anyone. Everyone was very surprised. But we kinda felt bad, popping in on them (the new coffee shop in town) the way we did. But it is a success thus far and we are having loads of fun!

Patty #1840

http://ladygonegreen.blogspot.com/

A rind is a terrible thing to waste. Compost.

When they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, “Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted.”
-Jesus in John 6:12 NIV Bible
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2012 :  05:53:57 AM  Show Profile
Holly, I will be sure to let you know if I am going to be going up to MA for a while. It would be so much fun to get together and see each other. I so enjoyed having that time with Darlys.

It is so funny imagining Kethry seeing those raccoons. Those teenage girls can really scream!

I am determined to rid my sewing room of projects I am never going to finish. I am going to use my Barbie Doll legs for an art projects as soon as I can get my DH to cut off the extra extention on the top of the legs. This art project is his idea so I want him to do some work on it.

Patty, try to rest during your 4 hours. If you don't take care of yourself you will not be able to run the business and all those people who love your coffee will be unable to enjoy it. I am so glad things are going well.

Take care, sisters.

Hugs,

Nancy

Make everyday a celebration of the heart.
Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2012 :  06:15:02 AM  Show Profile
Today is the 10th month the 11th day of 2012 10/11/12 GO OUT AND MAKE IT A GREAT DAY. None of us will be alive to see the dates line up exactatly like this again.

Edited by - Thelma on Oct 11 2012 06:15:49 AM
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2012 :  09:27:11 AM  Show Profile
Patty, so glad to hear that your business is going so well. Good for you. You worked so hard to get where you are. Now it is time to enjoy.
Holly, good to hear from you. I would love to come to your house so you could cook for me, but I am not sure my family would like that. They would starve without me around!! LOL!!!! Glad you are able to pop in once in awhile. We miss your family stories. Always so interesting and fun!!!
Thelma, You are so right. We will never see these dates again in our lifetime.
We had rain and snow very early this morning. It did not stick, of course, but it is still too early. Very windy and cold again. I think we may be in for a harsh winter this year, one we have not had for quite some time.
Have a great day,

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2012 :  6:10:48 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

I am not sure I did a lot today except run errands. I left my wallet at home when we left first thing this morning to take dd to therapy. We received a call from home telling me it was in the other car. My ds met me at a store and gave it to me. Then I went to the camera store and had the wrong camera with me. I had brought my old film camera. Things went better after that but still too many errands.

My brother Jon and his daughter will bring up her St Bernard to live with me on Saturday. She is married with young children and runs a daycare. The dog is 1 year old and does not know her own size or strength. She knocks down the little children and doesn't even know it. So, she will come to live with Aunty Holly and family on the farm. I told Jon when she went to get the dog that she was crazy getting such a big one. I hope she works out ok. I hope that she will like to sleep outside in the summer time to protect the animals from the wild creatures. My niece's oldest daughter who is now four named the dog Minnie.

Thelma I hope this medicine is working for your liver. I want you to feel good. I hope that Darwin is taking good care of you.

Jan I shudder when you say snow.

Patty - remember it is ok to delegate. Self employed people are hard on themselves. I am glad the coffee truck is working out well. I hope it is making a hefty profit for you and you can pay off quickly the debt from its purchase and all of the equipment. I am proud that you have made it a success for you and your family. How is your sister and her family that had the fire?

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2012 :  12:52:16 AM  Show Profile
Wow, What great news we have had lately. Thelma, what a relief that you are feeling so well. Glad to hear the side effects are more tolerable. Holly how nice to hear from you so often lately. You were so missed. Jan, I am glad that the snow did not stick yet! Nancy, I admire you being able to get rid of projects you have lost interest in. It just makes sense to declutter that way. Patty, never doubted you would be a success. But, boy are you busy!

Holly, your generousity seems limitless. A one year old St. Bernard is gonna be a BIG addition to your household. I can imagine Ross riding Minnie. Just once of course! I'm sure Minnie is a sweetheart. It will be a match made in heaven, you watch! My dh is flying into Burlington, VT next week for business. He is looking forward to seeing your fall color and I am a certain color with jealousy!

Remain well, gfs. Miss you.
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2012 :  06:40:52 AM  Show Profile
Just a short note to let you know that I will be gone for awhile. Darwin is done in the fields, his nephew can stay at the house and look after the critters, so we are off to MN to help friends get ready for her mother's auction. It is going to be so nice getting away. This not being able to drive brings out the evil in this old hen giggle

take care everyone. Enjoy your wekend, eat healthy, communicate with God, and relax. Taa taa my chickie poos!!!!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

janiee
True Blue Farmgirl

820 Posts

Janie
Shawnee Oklahoma
USA
820 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2012 :  11:01:30 AM  Show Profile
hello gals! have been really busy at work but it is starting to slow down. I miss talking to you on a regular basis. Not much is news here, i am starting a dear jane quilt. For those who don't know what that is , it is a quilt made in 1863 by a woman named Jane Stickler an it consists of 255 blocks made at 5" wide. Some of these blocks have over 30 pieces in them. I am so excited about it. It has paper piecing, hand piecing, machine piecing, applique and anything I can think of to do. The book has a line drawing of each block but no directions of how to do them so it is just fun. I am hoping to do one in purple, 1930's reproductions and Christmas fabrics. People who know what i am talking about would call me insane but i just really detailed work. Most cross stitch i do have no less than 30 colors.
On another note, last Monday, I was home and the wiring from my house to the pole went wonky and blew out 2 televisions, 1 microwave and my stove. The guys at work gave me another microwave to use and i have a toaster oven and crock pot and that will just have to keep me until next year and hopefully a tax refund. So i am not canning, cooking a lot or doing much of anything for right now. I am taking a week off for vacation in a couple of weeks and i am planning to clean my house from top to bottom really really really good. That way when i neglect it i don't feel so bad. my mom is still hanging in there. i go early in the morning before work and fix her coffee and breakfast, then meals on wheels comes by and gives her a lunch and then after work i go back by and fix her supper. that seems to be doing well for her. i am planning next weekend to go visit some friends in Dallas and I hope that she will be ok while i am gone. i have 2 brothers that live only 20 minutes from her but they rarely come unless they want something from her. well, better get to work - didn't mean to write a book!
hugs
janiee
farmgirl #390
Go to Top of Page

beachymom
True Blue Farmgirl

467 Posts

Kathy
Manchester Tennessee
USA
467 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2012 :  5:04:33 PM  Show Profile
Hollie - I always wanted a Saint, but when I had the space, I also had 4 kids & hubby was still in military & we were still traveling around per govt request. Now that I don't have kids (Jenny doesn't count) I also don't have the physical ability nor the yard space for a dog that big. Still want one though!!

Glenda - the glass plate is amazing!! What talent you have.

Patti - I am so happy for you and your growing coffee truck biz. It's wonderful when you can do what you enjoy for a living.

Marianne - about the insurance payment thing...I worked in the medical billing area for 13 years, so here's the scoop. The $65 Walmart posts for the eye exam is what they would charge someone with no insurance. They, and all medical/dental/optical businesses have state approved charges for each procedure. They would have given you the break if you had no insurance, but because they filed with your insurance company for you, they complied with state approved charges. I think it stinks too. I think they should charge the insurance company the same, but it's actually rules they have to follow with insurance procedures. The insurance company is aware of the charge difference. You could call them if it would make you feel better. Having been getting my eob's for all the physical therapy I've been getting & it's amazing what my insurance will pay just to have someone tell me to lift a ball over my head 20 times!!

Prayers all around - and yes, I'm feeling better, but I still don't have a lot of feeling in my right hand. Ah, the joys of single finger typing.

Hugs and Squishies!!

Kathy

Farmgirl Sister #3983

Take care of the land and it will take care of you.
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2012 :  5:21:50 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

Well, my brother and niece came up with Minnie today. Minnie is very possessive of niece. Minnie did not want anything to do with any of the rest of us and let us know by lunging and growling. Looking at her interact with niece on would not think she had a vicious bone in her body. I think she is not vicious but very protective. So, Minnie went back to Massachusetts with niece and she and her husband will have to train her more. A little sad but not depressed.

Janiee the power surged outside our apartment that we own and destroyed a fridge and a TV or two. The electric company replaced all of the destroyed appliances. Maybe they would for you too. I hope you have a restful vacation. Laugh alot.

The men who have a hunting camp on the back end of our property finally came to help with firewood. They cut maybe a cord in a couple of hours. I have enough in for this year I believe. It is always good to have a little extra and an extra start on next year's wood.

It snowed yesterday. A few of the flat fluffy flakes but mostly it was round balls of snow dropping swiftly to the ground. Nothing stayed on the ground. Just a reminder of what is to come.

Marianne - I hope your dh is not disappointed in the color of the hills. Burlington is considered to be in the banana belt of the state so maybe the season is a little behind ours. I would come up to see you if you stowed away in his luggage. How does he deal with so much jet lag?

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2012 :  5:35:05 PM  Show Profile
Holly, don't know if that is a good thing or not about not getting Minnie right now, but maybe it is for the best. She may not adjust so easily and don't need anyone bitten. Glad your snow did not stick either. It is too early.
We have had rain since last night, and very windy again. More rain in the forcast for the next 5 days. I just cannot get out and winterize my gardens. I hope I can get out there before the ground freezes. I don't even have any fall decorations out yet.
Janie, sounds like you have quite a project going on. Good that you are enjoying it.
Have a great evening,

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2012 :  7:33:51 PM  Show Profile
Janie, You have my admiration for loving such meticulous work. It takes a bit of patience and stick-to-itiveness. How do you like that word?! I, too, lost a refrigerator to a power surge that was replaced by the power company. Maybe, as Holly said, you will be covered!

Kathy, thanks for the explanation about eob's, etc. I understand it, but still feel like it was not exactly honest. I hope your fingers regain feeling and that your pt is going well. How is Jenny?

Holly, if only I could stow away a bit more often in dh's luggage! The animals would miss me or at least their dinners! Dh will be thrilled with any fall color. Here in the evergreen state we just don't see much change of color in the fall. He is driving with a colleague from Burlington to St. Hyacinth to visit a chocolate plant. So Minnie "talked" her way back home with your niece. Sounds like it was for the best. Maybe the family will see how devoted she is to them and really take the time with her. But, sizewise, sheesh, that is a big dog. Hope Cheri is continuing to keep the scar tissue to a minimum and the machine is keeping her mobility increasing. The first snow is always exciting to me no matter when it comes. We have all our wood stacked and ready. I have all my kindling organized and my lavendar "starters" set aside. I am just about ready for the first fire, but we need to at least have the first freeze first!

Jan, I have had years where I didn't get my garden put to sleep before the cold hit. It really was more work in the spring, but it isn't impossible. Hope it works out for you which ever way you end up doing it.

So tomorrow we are having our neighbors over for pumpkin bread and coffee in the morning. I made cream cheese frosting for the pumpkin bread. Yum. Dh has already "test driven" the bread and frosting so I know I am OK. Almost finished an apron today. I was hoping to have it completely done before I had to put my machine away before company comes tomorrow. But, it looks like I will pull it out again when they leave! (Like I wasn't gonna anyway!) My MIL is visiting her sister for three days so I feel like I am on vacation because I don't have to check on her daily (by phone.) I know it seems like such a quick chore, but she has a habit of turning off the answering machine when she leaves the house "in case you call, dear." I can't follow the logic, nor can I break her of the habit. I mean what good is answering machine that you turn off when you leave? Anywho... Like I said a few days off.

Marianne
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2012 :  10:34:07 AM  Show Profile
Holly, sounds like you need the dog whisperer with Minnie. I love big dogs! But one with attachment issues, not good for whoever they aren't attached to. I hope they can work it out.

Thelma, I'm happy you are doing better. I hope you enjoy your time away.

Patty, so glad your new business is doing so well. Just take time for yourself or you will burn out. Been there done that.

Nancy, good luck with your sewing projects. I have projects from years ago I just can't let go of. I just know I'll finish them one day. I have the most beautiful batik project with large leaves that all I have to do is sew the darn things together and put on a border. I have another batik project that needs that too. It seems I get the blocks done and then get sidetracked. I need to focus, focus, focus!

Janiee, good for you on the Dear Jane project. What an undertaking. But you will be very proud when it is done. Have fun! I don't have the patience for something like that. I use to do work that was so much more time consuming. Now I just want it done... now!
I agree with everyone on the electric company issue. I would contact them regarding replacing your appliances. What is the worst that they could say?

Glenda, love your glass project! I hope you show us more. I keep thinking if you weren't in Texas I would so want to come and help you with all your projects! I think you could keep me busy for a long time.

Well, my life is pretty boring right now. I am in homework mode. That's pretty much all I have time to do right now. No sewing or creating. Kinda bummed. Algebra is a challenge but the college has a wonderful tutor that is on site all week. So I have no excuses now. My investment class is a joke. The teacher is terrible! I am just going to pretend there is no teacher and just study the book and try to pass the tests. Worried about the project he passed out the other day. It wasn't clear at all what we are suppose to do. I will have to have him explain it better in class.

I always loved the first snow storm. But no matter what, it always knocked out the power for at least 3 days. So when I knew it was going to snow, I had to run around and fill bathtubs up with water (we had a well) and stock up on food I could eat without cooking. I would usually still have my gas stove so a cup of tea was always available. I do miss my house terribly. I have been a little depressed about it. But I just need to buck up and get over it. So hard to do.

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com
Handmade stuff http://www.etsy.com/shop/CuriousOrangeCat?ref=ss_profile

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2012 :  4:35:04 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

Janiee I want to see pictures as each square is in progress. I like to do projects that show progress. I do not have the time to do intricate projects right now but some day........ so I will live vicariously through you right now.

Ah Marianne I know about not being able to go because the animals need care. I will dry off the cow at the end of December so I will have two months of less chores. If we all could go away the neighbors would feed the animals. I hope your dh has a passport to get across the border. Getting into Canada is not the problem getting back into the US is sometimes a chore.
I would guess that your MIL does not want to miss talking to you in person so that is why she turns off the answering machine when she goes out.

Bunny use that tutor for algebra. I am getting good at it finally after having done average when I was in school but now having worked through it with three children. Sorry about the investments class that could have been really exciting if presented right.
A friend of mine in Maryland just installed a generator that will go on when the power goes off so she will not be stranded. We have a holding tank in the barn so if we need water then we can go down with buckets and haul it up the stairs.

It rained off and on all day. I fixed Talie's new to him old as in used bed. It had no slats to I put in plywood and screwed it to the little shelves. The little shelves on Ross' bed were broken from too big children jumping on it so I put new pieces of wood on. They were not big jobs just needed to be done.

Talie played in his last game of Fall Ball. It was cold and rainy but the children had a good time. Talie's team lost but he had a good time.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 218 **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Farmgirls over age 50 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page