Page: of 218

craftbug
True Blue Farmgirl

545 Posts

Patsy
Clarkson Kentucky
USA
545 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2011 :  09:52:49 AM  Show Profile  Send craftbug a Yahoo! Message
Got the hollyhock seeds out to the girls that wanted them. Anyone else that wants some can email me for my address, then send a self addressed stamped envy for me to send you some.

Ok, the rats are getting a bum rap here. LOL I think they are very smart and a great pet.

Becky: Welcome to the group! I'm going to be 59 (did i just say that?) and don't feel it either. Tumbleweeds grow? here i thought they just "tumbled". haha glad you got it done. I loved Arizona because it's a dry heat and 100 felt like nothing.
I loved 4 square, good memories.
I would love to see a pic of your tumbleweed snowman!

Penny: I was the tomboy in our house. Daddy bought me bow and arrows, a train set, cap guns...and I LOVED it all. If I had MY way, I would have been up every tree I could get my hands on, but mama never allowed it.To this day I love primitive style camping with just pit toilets and water at a hand pump.

Darlys: Just love that baby's name. heaven spelled backwards, what a neat idea!
I loved to read those Dick and Jane books and read ahead too!
never soaked raisins in rum, interesting..keeps cookies moist i bet, if they last that long. teehee

CJ: I have a friend who loves to hula hoop also.

Judy: YUP! J.C.Penny, Aldens,Monkey (Montgomery)Wards and Sears Christmas catalogs were the best!
vacation time was always the best. we had been to every state but california and florida by the time i graduated from high school. of course, we went like 500 miles a day sometimes, that's a lot of ground covered.

Nancy: you made me remember how much I loved skating at the roller rink long ago. My first daughter was about 1 and loved to be out on the rink in her daddy's arms. we skated well and did trio's, waltz's and even skated backwards. it was a family night deal at a mom and pop skate rink and my DH's whole family (and he has 6 siblings) would be on that rink. so much fun! we even bought our own skates because we skated so much.

Saw this sign on a drive through the forest at a pit toilet. I don't go for vandalism, but this was funny, had to share.

Make my words soft and tender, for I may have to eat them. :)
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2011 :  10:52:29 AM  Show Profile
Sisters - got this in my e-mail this morning and just had to share. I hope this doesn't run the length of the page. You
may have seen it - but when I got it ... I thought of all of you. In the short time I've been here I have been blessed over and over again. You are all angels and sisters in my heart.

A young wife sat on a sofa on a hot humid day, drinking iced tea and visiting with her mother. As they talked about life, about marriage, about the responsibilities of life and the obligations of adulthood, the mother clinked the ice cubes in her glass thoughtfully and turned a clear, sober glance upon her daughter.

'Don't forget your sisters,' she advised, swirling the tea leaves to the bottom of her glass. 'They'll be more important as you get older. No matter how much you love your husband or the children you may have, you are still going to need sisters. Remember to go places with them now and then; stay connected; do things with them.'

'Remember that 'sisters' means ALL the women in your life...your girlfriends, your daughters, and all your other women relatives too. 'You'll need other women. Women always do.'

She listened to her mother. She kept contact with her sisters and made more women friends each year. As the years tumbled by, one after another, she gradually came to understand that her mother really
knew what she was talking about. As time and nature work their changes and their mysteries upon a woman, sisters are the mainstays of her life.

After more than 50 years of living in this world, here is what I've learned:

Time passes.

Life happens.

Distance separates.

Children grow up.

Jobs come and go.

Love waxes and wanes.

Men don't do what they're supposed to do.

Hearts break.

Parents die.

Colleagues forget favors.

Careers end.

BUT.........

Sisters are there, no matter how much time and how many miles there are between you. A girlfriend is never farther away than needing her can reach.

When you have to walk that lonesome valley and you have to walk it by yourself, the women in your life will be on the valley's rim, cheering you on, praying for you, pulling for you, intervening on your behalf, and waiting with open arms at the valley's end. Sometimes, they will even break the rules and walk beside you....Or come in and carry you out.

Girlfriends, daughters, granddaughters, daughters-in-law, sisters, sisters-in-law, Mothers, Grandmothers, aunties, nieces, cousins, and extended family: all bless our life!

The world wouldn't be the same without 'sisters' and neither would I. When we began this adventure called womanhood, we had no idea of the incredible joys or sorrows that lay ahead. Nor did we know how much we would need each other. Every day, we need each other still.

This is for all the women who have enriched my life, cared about, and cared for me. Short and very sweet:

There are multitudes of angels in this world. Several are peacefully sleeping on clouds. Many more are playing. And one angel is reading this at this very moment.

--------------
I hope some of you find this as meaningful as I did. I'll be back later to chat. Love you all.

Sister #3284 - on her Tippie Toes - oxox, Darlys

That is the best ... to laugh with someone because you both think the same things are funny.
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2011 :  10:52:44 AM  Show Profile
Hooray Betty, got rid of one piece...keep going. What's an embroidery machine, and why does it hook onto the puter?
Patsy, I love the sign...so funny! *giggle*
We never called it 4-square, we called it hand-ball. It is the same game, right?
I think you skated while pregnant. I remember Mama having a hissy-fit when she found out....and she was from a W.V.farm, and you know those women did hard work...right up until giving birth...then went back to the farmwork right after. lol ...but that was ok I guess!
I remember a tumbleweed Mama brought home from out west(her souvineer) and she put it in her flowerbed and a praying mantis claimed it for the rest of the summer. hahaha It loved that "weed." Felt safe there I'm sure....from all our farm cats.
Well, gotta go to GreenFarms and get DH some fruit for his lunches.
Make it a good day Gals!

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
"Why couldn't I have been born Rich instead of So Good Looking?"
Go to Top of Page

ellimae
Farmgirl in Training

29 Posts

eileen
edison nj
29 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2011 :  10:57:57 AM  Show Profile
here in new jersey filling water jugs for Irene, hope she appreciates it. lol batting down the hatches waiting for the tree to fall in my front yard oh well firewood. hope everyone is well and stays that way. peace, elli

Do as the farmgals do!
Go to Top of Page

debra e
True Blue Farmgirl

261 Posts

Debra
Georgia
USA
261 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2011 :  12:13:08 PM  Show Profile
Hey Ladies.
I think that it has been a week since I have been able to get on line and read anything about you all on the FARM.
It was so good to sit back and read about your days.I love being me up dated on all your doings and it made me snicker at some of the things that were written. You all are too funny. It sounds like you all are a bunch of sisters playing. Glad to be a part of it at least once in a while.
Daryls-you have family in Warner Robbins? I live in Ga too!
Penny-I am not sure where Washington Ga is. I live in Suwanne Ga. Kind of northeast of Atlanta.
Good to have some other Southern PEACHES on the farm. (except I am a transplant from Ohio)
Judy- My hubby just got back from Canton O. He said that the storm you experienced the other night was a "biggie" Lots of lightning and Thundering going on. I wish that we could have some of that rain here. We are so dry and it has been a big effort for us to water the garden. WE have a well as our water source and are we are watching how much water we use. We have run it dry in years past so we know our limits. It will be better when it rains.
Judy- I loved the picture of your mom and sister. Now I know what you look like and that puts a face with your words.
Darlys- I go to a chiropractor when I need. Which I need right now but haven't taken the time to go. I have been going there for many years and the sitting and waiting for him to see me is one reason that I haven't made an appointment. I usually end up waiting and hour or more to get in for an ajustment. He gives me ample time and I know that is why he can be so behind on his time schedule for his patients. It can be frustrating.
I haven't listen to any news on the weather today. Is the hurricane still going to hit the east coast? Will say prayers for those folks.
My husband felt the earthquake this week...All the way into Ohio. Judy did you feel it? Hubby was sitting in his deceased fathers chair (a recliner) and it started to shake. He thought what is wrong with this chair, leaned forward to look under it. Then it hapened again...He got up and tilted the chair forward to see what was under there...Then the Special news flash came on the tv that said there had been a earthquake in Virginia. He knew then what was going on. He was beginning to think that his dad was haunting him for sitting in his chair. Too funny!
Gals, Good talking to you again. Have a Great weekend and can you believe that another week is over??? Time goes WAY to fast.
P.S. I have an original hula hoop hanging up in the Hen House. You all have made want to go and try it out. I wonder if I can still hula the ol hips!

Farmgirl Sister
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2011 :  12:22:34 PM  Show Profile
I hope all you ladies along the eastern seaboard, stay safe & hopefully have moved out of the way. I have never been in such a storm. I've been in many quakes while living in Alaska and WA state. There were only 2 that I felt as though I couldn't stand, with the rest being the quick shake or rolling type swaying lamps & making ya feel queezy. We've had small fire storms and ice storms where the ice hugs the tree branches so much they break onto power lines. I know others suffer these same things. We just end up with scads of snow...no hurricaines, tornadoes, heat over 100 etc. I guess I feel very fortunate, and hope all us farm ladies get through what Mother Nature sometime sends us..Blessings to those ladies and their families in the East.

Buffypuff/ Claudia ~ Farmgirl Sister #870 @}~~
"God sends no one away empty except those who are full of themselves." DL Moody

Go to Top of Page

Beca
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Becky
Chino Valley Arizona
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2011 :  1:33:47 PM  Show Profile
Popping in for a second before we get hit by a monsoon rainstorm...went out this morning with my daughter and McKenzie...we go out to breakfast at a favorite spot and then hit up a wonderful Goodwill store after. Good finds for my gardens and of course, McKenzie.

I'm hoping Irene doesn't hit anyone too hard. Can't imagine being in a storm like that. Earthquakes-no problem. After all, I am originally from so. California

Later...............:)
Go to Top of Page

craftbug
True Blue Farmgirl

545 Posts

Patsy
Clarkson Kentucky
USA
545 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2011 :  1:34:48 PM  Show Profile  Send craftbug a Yahoo! Message
Debra: My 2 daughters live in Ohio and both felt that earthquake. They had never experienced one before and both felt queasy and saw things move.very scary but all safe and that's what counts! Mama lives in Canton and saw her glider chair rocking and she lives on the 9th floor of a highrise and those buildings are not built for earthquakes.

Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2011 :  1:46:21 PM  Show Profile
For all of you on the East Coast - you are in my prayers. Batten down those hatches and stay safe. I hope we soon hear that none of you suffered any significant damage or difficulties due to Irene.

Hi Betty! Good for you selling the stove ... and not having to haggle on the price. I loved what the lady said about it being so clean. I've got to find a "Friday" Farmer's Market around here. There must be one. There's one I like - but it's on Thursdays ... and wouldn't you know ... that's never when I'm thinking of produce. Whole Foods (Whole Paycheck) is pretty good - but the organic selection is sometimes really, really pricy. And, it just doesn't have the same ambiance of the Farmer's Market.

Embroidery machine? I know Bernina has an 830 out. (My Bernina is the 820 and doesn't have the fancier embroidery abilities. But I got a good deal on it at the Ricky Tim's Seminar in Rocklin last year.) Do tell a bit more about what you got.

The 'pee' sign is very funny, Patsy. Thanks for sharing, I think. Although, anybody who pees at 15 mph should probably see a urologist. (Hopefully not having to wait as long as Debra and I do at the chiro's - that could be a problem.)

By the way, Debra, my sis is about 20 miles from Macon. I think most folks know where that is. My BIL is retired from the air force and worked as a civilian at Warner Robins AFB until he "actually retired."

I'm so loving the playtime we all are sharing these days = dolls - coloring - paperdolls (I have all those Victorian paperdoll books - my SIL give them to me for Christmas.) jacks, pick-up-sticks, hula hoops, roller skating, and the list goes on ..... it's sort of like having our own personal 50 plus playgroup. I'm also loving the gardeners sharing. Our chatting is absolutely the best - the richest - and the most fun I've had in years!

Speaking of "rich." Here is a plate of the Brown Butter Toffee Bars that I made last night. Thought I would share with you. They are yummy and very, very rich. Remember to break each bar in half so the calories will leak out. (Patsy, I actually soak & simmer the raisins in rum for my oatmeal cookies. Makes them plump and soften nicely - probably not a lot of taste difference but the psychological effect of knowing about the rum is delightful.)

If anyone wants the BB Toffee Bar recipe I will type it into a document so I can cut, paste and e-mail it to you. Just let me know - tippie@sti.net. I recall Judy wanting it (after I sent her the lemon bar recipe) and someone else who I will backtrack to identify.

I know, Becky, about trying to roll back while composing a bit of conversation! Poof! Many of us, I understand, have done it. I'm a slow learner, I guess. I've done it twice!

So much more to say - but, Oh, Lordy, I've already been on a long time. Must gather stuff to haul to Oakhurst tonight. (It's supposed to be 95 there - both tomorrow and Sunday. Just toasty.) So, toodle ooo for now. Kisses.

That is the best ... to laugh with someone because you both think the same things are funny.

Edited by - darlystippie on Aug 26 2011 2:53:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2011 :  5:02:20 PM  Show Profile
Just talked to my daughter in NC and she said they're ready as they're going to be for Irene. She said she's done some cooking ahead and is well stocked with all the necessities. My granddaughter is making her own wedding cake since she took the class a couple of years ago with my daughter, her mom, and they're both good at it. She's doing practice decorations today to see what she likes and Kim says it looks good. She'll decorate the real thing while I'm there and she wants my help. I don't do a lot of cakes these days since all my kids are grown and gone but guess I can add my two cents worth.

I bought a Singer Futura 400. It sews regular as well as embroider but I have a Janome sewing machine I use for regular sewing and quilting. This machine has 30 regular stitches, sews buttonholes and sews on buttons, etc. and has 125 embroidery patterns built in. It has a USB cable to connect it to my computer so I can download more embroidery patterns from various sites and some are free. Once I pick a pattern, whether downloaded or one built in I can bring it up on my monitor and adjust the size to what I want, add additional items such as letters (which I can select font size and style) and arrange anywhere I like, add borders, etc and when it looks good on my screen then I can tell my machine to embroider the whole thing on the fabric in the hoop. I can use one color or multiple colors. The machine will do the pattern part in one color then stop and let me change colors and then continue with another part. I hadn't planned on a new machine. I've been looking for a good used one for some time but yesterday went into JoAnn's and found this one on sale and just couldn't pass it up. Now to learn how to use it.

Well, time to get off here and see about starting supper. While it's cooking I'll do the chickens and collect eggs. I have two new baby finches out of the nest but still in the inside cage. They aren't brave enough to fly out into the flight cage. They'll do it soon though. One is a typical grey but the other is white with grey markings. I haven't had one that way before. I do have 5 pure white though.
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2011 :  5:13:54 PM  Show Profile
Hello,

I have not been on here since I first saw the original post. I am 54 for the year.

I used to cut out the Betsy McCall paper dolls in Mc Call's magazine. I remember being sad when they stopped printing the paper doll.

Our three year old likes to arc his pee so it shoots out far between the holes in the lattice work on the sides of the porch.. He thinks it is especially funny to do it when one of his brothers is standing below. We screwed the lattice work around the porch railing to keep the small children from falling off the porch.

My sister twirled a baton in a dance recital when we were small. She must have been about nine years old.

We hear that Irene is coming up the coast to give us a soaking. We live about two and a half hours from the ocean. My soon to be 14 year old son plays fall baseball and they have a double header on Sunday about two hours by car from here. He is hoping that the games are not cancelled. Maybe the rain will hold off until early evening.

We had rats in the yard and barn maybe eight years ago now. We had never had them before. I thought they were big field mice until my brother told me they were Norway rats. He said if you see one you have a hundred. I used to feed the meat chickens in six foot troughs that were rain gutters. I would put the feed int the trays go into the house and look out the windows and the rats had swarmed the trays. I tried to dicourage them humanely be resorted to hawk bait, a poison. Luckily they have not come back.

We do have two beautiful hawks that soar and call on the thermals over the house.

I am building a screen house down by the farm pond that is my craft for now. I had six pine trees cut and milled this spring so I have plenty of lumber. I have never made a screen house so it is fun figuring it out.

I have not been to the chiropractor in a year. WE do not have to wait anytime. there was a surgeon in the area who was always running late because he would be called down to the emergency room with out notice. The nurse would call and tell you he was running late if you were a newbie otherwise you knew to call when it was time to leave the house to find out if you should stay home just a while longer.

I take crocheting to do when I am going to wait. I have several afghans from basketball and soccer games. Now since typing on these boards I am making dishcloths. They are far more portable and conversation starters.

I played marbles too. My brother swiped them and put them in the bottom of his fish tank he thought they were so pretty. I was good at marbles.

hugs to you all

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2011 :  6:49:15 PM  Show Profile
Hey Betty - is your daughter's name Kim - or is that your granddaughter? Just wondering as I also have a grown daughter - named Kim.

I am loving your Singer! My mother actually taught sewing (and sold machines) at Singer's in Duluth, MN about 50 or so years ago. She gave me a Featherweight for my birthday when I turned 25. I gave it to a daughter when she turned 40. Have always had a soft spot for a Singer. And that machine you got sounds fantastic! I've never tried the Janome. There have been many times - seeing the ads - that I wished I'd at least tried it before investing in the Bernina. But, I was at the seminar. The price was right - I got credit for a trade in without the trade-in - of my Viking or my Babylock - and it also came with a quilting frame that attaches to the 820. I have yet to take the frame out of the box it arrived in.

Hello Holly, Nice to meet you. I've only been around since mid-July but have so many friends here now I feel like it's been much longer. We are going down memory lane for sure! I remember the Betsy McCall paper dolls, too. And I played with them endlessly while dreaming of becoming a famous fashion designer. Sigh.

Very cool about building a screen house. And about that 3 year old - very creative. Between him and Irene - no water shortage. My memory burped. Who was it who actually has had their well run dry?

And now that I've figured out how to get online at the chiropractor's office - I'm sure my waiting will be much easier. I have taken my quilting projects and sudoku and I've exhausted every magazine of any interest in the place. Oh, yes, sometimes I take my book of the moment. Anyway, I was really only complaining about the wait this time because I had to take my grandson to Berkeley (an hour away) and got caught in rush hour traffic coming back. (2-1/2 hours) Not much you can do in traffic except pay attention.

I hope you only get a wink from the storm. Keep us all posted.

And, Betty, prayers are out there for your daughter and family, too. Let us know what's happening.

Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2011 :  6:58:42 PM  Show Profile
Becky, you are getting the Arizona monsoon now? I have to check out the Goodwill again. I had no luck for a long time. Did find a couple of goodies while volunteering at the Methodist rummage sale setup last week though.

Earthquakes? We are so used to them. But the one the east just experienced - that was significant..

Go to Top of Page

debra e
True Blue Farmgirl

261 Posts

Debra
Georgia
USA
261 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2011 :  7:01:53 PM  Show Profile
It is debra e that has had the well run dry a few years ago. We were lucky for the pump was ok and after a few hrs we had some water in the well. We had to let the well fill up befor we had a full force of water for the house. Now we are very careful about watering. Especially when there is no rain and it is as dry as it has been.
Patsy-your mom that lives in Canton? Does she live in the Mayfield Senior Center? That is near where my Father-n-law lived. I don't know many places in Canton but know of this place. Just wondering

debra e

Farmgirl Sister
Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2011 :  7:57:16 PM  Show Profile
Darlys, my daughters name is Kim. I also have a Rhonda and a Laura. My granddaughter getting married in October is named Ashley and she's marrying Aaron.

I think I'm going to like the Singer for embroidery as it's simple to operate. I like my Janome also. It has really done well for me. I've had it about four years and I've done five or six quilts on it, most were baby quilts but I've done two queen size tops. It goes over jeans like a breeze also. It is also easy to work.

I just came in from the chicken pen to make sure there was plenty of water for them and my birds in the aviary. It got very hot today so want to make sure there is plenty of water. I had a surprise. There was a snake 9not a very big one and not venomous) with a mouse in it's mouth. I just let it be. It will help keep the mouse population down. There was a bigger one a few days ago in there also probably looking for mice. The chickens don't seem concerned about them being in there so they must be in there a lot.
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2011 :  8:04:59 PM  Show Profile
Keep an eye on your egg production Betty. We had one that ate a lot of eggs before we found him! He was nestled in between the nest box and the egg door. All he had to do was stick in his head to get the eggs. He was huge. Taller than me and I am 5ft 2inches. I rarely kill a snake but he had to go away permanently!
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2011 :  9:37:23 PM  Show Profile
Well Gals...seems like a lot of you got up with the Chickens this morning. Not me, I got to sleep in. One of my favorite pass times
as I've gotten older.

Patsy...laughed my head off over that "Pee" sign. Really cracked me up. ~ Well, I guess it is a good thing there are people like you
and your sister who love rats...kind of balances out the ones of us who hate them.lol I would rather have snakes than rodents. Snakes
and spiders have never bothered me.

Becky... Loved your discription of your dad's Tumbleweed Snowman. Sounded adorable. Reminded me when I was in 4th grade my mom took a
tumbleweed and sprayed it pink and sprinkled glitter all over it. I wasn't sure what it was suppose to be...but it looked pretty. I haven't
thought of that for years.

Penny...I was a total tomboy when I was young. My mom always made my little sister and me all these pretty frilly matching dresses and every picture she took of us in them...we were always bawling our heads off. We hated pretty and frilly...we wanted our dirty ol' blue
jeans on. And I always wanted to play with my brother and his plastic army men. We made huge dirt bunkers, roads and camps for the army
guys or his plastic cowboys and indians. I didn't appreciate the fact I was a girl until I was in Jr. High...then I finally became more
girly.

Darlys...I have read that Sister email before. Loved it then...Loved it now! Thanks for sharing.

Judy...I don't think four square and handball is the same game. At least not out here in the West. Handball played with a little black
ball and you hit it off a wall. Four square is played in chalked squares with a child in each square (if I remember right). There was
also Dodge Ball where you tried to not get hit with the ball. If you were hit...you were out.

Eileen...Keep safe...we are praying for all of you!

Debra...glad you could be on so much today. Come as often as you can or else you will have lots of conversation to try to
catch up on...as we are all such Chatty-Cathy's.

Claudia...what is happening these days in Deer Park? Do you happen to know Barb and Terry Walker?
What Church do you atttend there, if I might ask.

Becky...I love to go to Goodwill. We have a really awesome, clean and tidy one here in Battle Ground. Some of them
are too dirty for me and unkept...I don't enjoy shopping those messy ones. I can never find anything and I always feel
like I need a shower when I leave. lol

Betty...congrats on getting the new sewing machine. Can't wait to see some of the pretties you make on one that embroideries too.

Connie...I have heard that some snakes are just like the mongoose...they love to eat eggs.

Today was a good day...my hubby and I went grocery shopping together. Maybe a lot of people hate grocery shopping but I always love
it. I love to have my cupboards and frig. filled with plenty of food. Even though I see a continual rise in all the food prices.
We have one week before payday and my husband said..."Well, shall we buy food or gas?" Isn't that terrible when that really isn't a
joke anymore? Some times it is a real toss on which you need more. Well Ladies...I am off for this Evening...chat more tomorrow.
You are all so much fun and funny!

hugs and smiles,
Peg

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

"Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch"

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be joyous, to be passionate, and to Be His!

Edited by - LadyInRed on Aug 27 2011 10:11:36 AM
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2011 :  9:49:02 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Wow, so many posts tonight so not going to answer them all one by one which isn't like me but it's late and watching Irene on the TV...I'm very tired because for some reason I woke up this morning at 430 I think it was...tried to take a nap if you can count 15 min as a nap...It looks like Irene missed us but I have family in MA and in NH so trying to keep my eye on the weather station. But I think I am going to have to go to bed soon...

SNAKE, somebody mention SNAKE...sorry I HATE a snake, even if they aren't venomous, I am soooooo very afraid of them that when I see one I hyper-ventilate which scares me even more.

I love hearing everyone talk about there sewing and embroidery machines. I have a very simple Brother that I bought about 7 years or so ago, and I have a singer that my Daddy bought my Mom in the early 60's...then when my Momma died she left my sister and I her 2 sewing machines...she loved her sewing machines...My Sissy got her ELNA and I got her PHAFF. I opened it up tonight to look at it to see if I would even attempt to sew on it...so many buttons and I have no idea all the embroidery stitches it does. I wanted to try and figure it out because it has a buttonhole setting and mine doesn't. Since I am going to try and make a reversible apron that requires buttonholes (and never sewn buttonholes before today when I was practicing) I thought I would try it...oh my goodness...it scared the beegeesus out of me...LOL...

I feel blessed to have one of the machines that Momma loved so much. I will figure it out one day...I hope.

Night Ladies...got to go to bed...kind of typing with my eyes half closed...

Dear Lord, Please take care of all my east coast Sisters....and their families... AMEN

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...

Edited by - Acelady02 on Aug 26 2011 9:50:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

craftbug
True Blue Farmgirl

545 Posts

Patsy
Clarkson Kentucky
USA
545 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2011 :  07:24:32 AM  Show Profile  Send craftbug a Yahoo! Message
Betty: we had zebra finches once. loved their "bee bee bee" sounds. miss them. we saw a blacksnake unhinge it's jaws once and eat a rat by the hen house. The thing down here to worry about is the recluse spider. google it. you don't want to get bit by one, believe me.

PeggyAnn: Judy and I played with our "men and horses" and made roads out in the dirt too!and also played with those plastic bricks and lincoln logs. didn't appreciate being a girl til about jr. high either.

Darlys: remembered getting that sister email once and loved it. thanks for posting it again.
my kids love rats too, so guess it's how you are raised. ;)
our Goodwill is clean and tidy also. love going in to see what I can find. The last time I was in the shelves were bulging with goodies and I only had 10 minutes to look! When I get to go back, it will probably be empty. lol

Go to Top of Page

Beca
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Becky
Chino Valley Arizona
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2011 :  08:00:07 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning

I am waiting for my granddaughter to arrive in a few minutes. We watch her this weekend. Last weekend we went to see a model train club's (Grandpa's) open house nearby with her. She got her picture taken by the local newspaper too. She was mesmerized by all of the trains she saw. This friend changed his garage into a house for all of his stuff. OMG tons of train layouts and things. 3 rooms full.

Daryls- we have monsoon rains from July thru September. Yesterday we had three surrounding us but not one dumped much but a few sprinkles on us. It always amazes me how a storm can dump so much rain and how it dries up so fast after it is gone.

Patsy-I loved that pee sign...OMG can you someone imagine making it and wondering why? LOL.

Holly- wow you are making a screen house yourself? My hubby and I are going to build a shed as soon as fall comes around.

Debra e- dumb question but how can you tell (besides the obvious) that a well runs dry? We have one too and this is our first. I would love to know what to expect.

PeggyAnn- you had me giggling about a pink tumbelweed with glitter!!! Creativity at it's best!

Anyway...the little one is here so I will be off here for a few hours until she take s her nap...I can hear McKenzie now saying her "hi!" as she comes through our door!!

Ta Ta.

Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2011 :  09:27:02 AM  Show Profile
Good morning everyone,

The storm is still over NC and about 8 last night my daughter had a tree down but not near the house thank heaven.

The snake in the coop wasn't big enough to eat eggs even with it's jaw unhinged. My hens lay huge eggs. We don't get the huge gopher snakes or king snakes that you get back east. Even our rattlers don't get bigger than about 3-4 feet. We have recluse spiders here and we also have black widows and scorpions. We don't have tarantulas for some reason. We have big lizards. I've seen some a couple of feet long. The iguanas anyway.

Another hot one today, typical of life in the desert. Hope to bind my granddaughters wuilt today after I get my wash on the line and do some housework. Have a good one, one and all.
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2011 :  09:46:59 AM  Show Profile
Morning all, Betty I would rather have big snakes than scorpions! At least I can see the snakes. Do your scorpions have a bad sting? I was stung on my little toe while in Morocco. Boy did it hurt! My goodness I was sick from it. We have the same spiders here.
Becky- We knew our well was getting low when the water started getting a little murky on one well. The other it just went dry. Worked and then didn't. I think each well is different depending on the length of pipe into the water.
My three year old granddaughter is pretty rough and tumble. Prefers jeans and shorts to dresses and bows. I feel blessed to have a tomboy to play with!
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2011 :  10:00:52 AM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Hi All,

Still tired, think must be the weather change, don't know but going to take a nap I think...Peggy Ann I did want to say I totally understand the getting dirty part growing up...I hated dresses too even tho Momma made them and made me wear them..lol..

Becky, have lots of fun with your granddaughter today...I still want one but doesn't look like it is in my future. But I do love my grandboys.

Betty, glad to know the tree didn't hit your daughters house. I pray the storm moves away from her soon.

Connie, I sure would love a tomboy granddaughter...but hey I am still very lucky to have my 2 grandsons.

I will check back in later...think I am going to finish up my Fall Kitchen Swap items....

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...
Go to Top of Page

debra e
True Blue Farmgirl

261 Posts

Debra
Georgia
USA
261 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2011 :  11:32:34 AM  Show Profile
Hey Becky,
about the well...Connie is right water can get a little murky when the water is low in the well. The sediment settles at the bottom of the well and the good water is above that.
We have a holding tank in the garage.The the water is pumped from the well to the holding tank. We now have a gauge on the holding tank that lets us know how much pressure and water is in the well. When we are watering we watch the gauge so as not to run out the water. The well that we have is a drilled well. We love the taste of the water. It usually is very clean and clear. The county just ran water lines out in our area...but it is very expensive to hook up... So we will stay with what we got.
You all are talking about playing in the dirt as a kid. We used to make mud pies and mud balls...set them in the sun to dry.
I remember that we could leave in the morning on our bikes...let the screen door slam behind us..return home at lunch to bologna sandwiches...then off on our bikes again. I can still hear my mom calling us to come home for supper. If she had to call more than 3 times...she was not happy. Oh! for those days!

Farmgirl Sister
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2011 :  3:33:32 PM  Show Profile
Debra...oh for the free spirit of childhood...huh? Oh, yes...I was also a mud pie girl! We had a big wrap-around 3 sided porch and we
would mix up our mud pies and leave them to dry on the railings of The Porch. My sister and I would try to get our brother to eat them.
He was famous for licking his worms clean for fishing, if our mom wouldn't let us turn the outside faucet on. Yuck! Gross! Nasty! But boys
were dumb anyway! (even though we were tomboys ourselves...there was a limit to our boyishness). :+)

We also had a little stream that ran across the front of our property...and us kids would lay on our bellies for hours and collect freshwater clams (ittie-bittie little clams...smaller than a dime). My brother and I would also go fishing together and if we didn't
catch any trout that day...we would fill our fishing creul full of tree-toads and then sell them to the neighborhood kids for a penny.
Then we would take all our money and go buy penny candy.

Oh those were the days....."Sun-drenched summer memories warm the heart."

Blessings,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

"Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch"

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be joyous, to be passionate, and to Be His!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 218 **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Farmgirls over age 50 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page