Page: of 218

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2011 :  9:01:49 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Oh Judy, that dusty pink fab. sounds just like what I am looking for to make a vintage looking apron....I have been searching ebay and etsy..but haven't found anything yet...good going getting that for such a great price.

Welcome Glenda, I am sure you will love it here...I agree with Betty we are a crazy bunch...but we are lovable...lol..

Hey Darlys and Kim too...I am just going to say hi to everyone else that are on the other pages...got to go back and read the other pages later...

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2011 :  05:18:46 AM  Show Profile
Good morning!

Such a busy bunch. I meant to check in yesterday afternoon but got so busy myself with things that time just got away from me.

Betty, I am looking forward to seeing your afghan that yu made for your new great granddaughter. It sounds like your next one will be pretty also. I do not crochet an don't knit very well either.

Judy, you did so well finding that fabric at the Goodwell. And such pretty fabric too. I don't think I have ever found any at the Goodwell stores I have been at. And the price you paid... just perfect. Sometimes when I see a buy in a store like the Goodwill, I get so excited you would think I was a little kid in a candy shop.

I forgot about the Smothers Brothers and Mr. Ed. Oh, and Mitch Miller with that bouncing ball! Thanks for reminding us, Debra. I also loved watching Steve Allen.

Welcome Glenda. You will enjoy yourself here with us a lot. We are a loving, caring, funny group of ladies who will listen to any and everything you want to share. I read that you a doll maker. I make dolls also. How log have you been making dolls? You must be very strong and healthy to be doing all that you do with 9 acres to mow and growing your own food along with the housekeeping. Congratulations on being a 3 year survivor. My daughter just passed her 4th year. I smiled when I read about the hats. I love hats and if you get that much attention wearing them, hey, maybe I might start wearing one all the time. :))

Patty, I hope you DH is feeling better. I pray that he will be okay.

Peg, I haven't seen a doctor my age around. I think most of them, mostly men, have passed away. The last doctor I went to was an eye doctor and he was in his early 40's. It used to bother me and then I started to think how I must have looked to other people when I was a mother at 17 years old. That really changed my perspective on things.

You all have a nice day. I will be finishing up on de-cluttering my upstairs closet today which is filled with all kinds of things my DH has been saving like lamps, pillows, frames, notebooks, etc, etc, that we not longer use or need. He is a saver.

Hug galore,

Nancy

Farmgirl Sister #2301

Laughter is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.
Go to Top of Page

jollyquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

WV
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2011 :  07:04:00 AM  Show Profile
Judy............Lucasville is about 20 or so miles south of Columbus. How far away are you?

Glenda......it is nice to meet you and I am so glad you are here to join us. Congrats on being a 3 year survivor. You sound like a little fire cracker and therefore will fit in well around here. I wear a hat most of the time, but all the time in the garden. And I take mens long sleeve shirts and make me kind of like a smock out of them. I have even had folks stop in front of my house and ask where I bought it.

I go to the kennel again this afternoon to work with the husky. I am so excited to go. But I am trying to get things done around here before I head out. Lots of creating this weekend and I also want to put my booth together in the livingroom!! Then get it packed and marked to travel.

www.StuffByKim.etsy.com
http://fiberandflea.blogspot.com

Edited by - jollyquilter on Sep 30 2011 07:06:25 AM
Go to Top of Page

lynnschlicht1961
Farmgirl in Training

20 Posts

lynn
swartz creek michigan
USA
20 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2011 :  08:11:38 AM  Show Profile
Hi Glenda...welcome...I'm new too and everyone has been so friendly and made me feel right at home, so I'm sure you will feel that way as well!!

It's another cold Michigan day, but today we've added blustry to the mix. Rain blowing sideways, in the 40's kinda day. I still think I'll venture out and do a little shopping then head back home to can the last of the beets, clean the house a bit and maybe even read a book for a while.

I'm happy to say that I finished my year end work, at my money making job, a day early! That means I didn't have to go in today. Which is a good thing cause I drive 80 miles round trip.

I really think my trip into town today will have to include Hobby Lobby. Lalalalove that store! I need new tires on the truck before winter sets in. So, as much as I hate to, I need to go buy the tire store and price them...ugh.

Guess I'd better get going. The rain is slowing a bit...good time to hit the road!!

Have a great day ladies...see y'all later!
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2011 :  11:34:03 AM  Show Profile
Hi Glenda -- welcome! I just turned 69. Share your birthdate here and it is a major event! Everyone celebrates with you. Thot I was hot stuff on the numbers scale when I joined (in July). Betty (desertwillow) is our Queen of Quilts. She's awesome and is the most chronologically gifted of our bunch. She set me straight from the git-go ... 71 beats 68. Gotta love her.

I really want to acknowledge everyone who sent cards (many with little things tucked in) and posted greetings and somehow I hope I will. There were just so many! I want you all to know that you have lifted me up and made me smile and laugh and celebrate like never before! Thank you, you are so special to me and I adore you all.

Migosh, Glenda, you sound incredible! Single and "making dolls, quilting, gardening, mowing 9 acres, cleaning my own house, growing my own food, etc." Wow! And a melanoma survivor! You may have us all wearing hats soon. You do belong here, girlfriend!" You are in the right place. You fit right in.(PeggyAnn will start campaigning to get you on the Porch, too, if you aren't there already. She's gone for the weekend on a beach retreat.)

And Nancy (annielaurel) makes wonderful dolls. Her latest is a gypsy and, if you scroll back a few pages, there's a picture.

Well, Glenda, I'll copy for you what I told Lynn and Darlyne .. We seem to be on t.v. shows now, but we've played with paperdolls, crayons, dolls, & marbles. We've checked out what we grow, make, build, nurture, the weather (regularly), music, animals, husbands, children, grandchildren, & extended family. We kiss ouches, share what we've baked, canned, cooked, where we've been and where we're going and what we are doing. We love to give advice and appreciate getting it, too. This is where irons pee and poop and potatoes win prizes. This is a safe place to share your sadness, joys, troubles and triumphs. You have arrived at a fantastic place. We'll love for you to stay and hang out with us.

Hey Judy, you scored on the fabric! Nice going, gf. Oh, yeah! ..."I said wear something you can GET dirty!" that was cross-your-legs funny! Along with "How bad can it be?" as she was exiting the Mpls (MSP) airport baggage claim. Judy, m'bud, let us not rest until every Farmgirl over 50 has seen New In Town.

Nancy, we were both teenage moms! Think of it ... those older (men) doctors who would be our age (and used to boss us around) are dead and we are not only living strong, we are still kickin' butt.

Kim, show us a pic of you in your smock. Might give some of us even more creative ideas. And be sure to keep us posted on your progress with the Husky. Also, we'll be watching to see how your next show goes. Is it next weekend?

Hey, back atcha, Penny. You sound like a busy body, sweetheart. I'll be looking to hear more of what you're up to one of these days.

Lynn, sounds like winter is just around the corner. Glad you got the day off. Tires? Uh-oh ... and you can't exactly push the limit there either, can you. I just had to get new tires on my SUV and they weren't inexpensive either. I was bummed. Well now, you just have fun at Hobby Lobby and enjoy the day. (We might finally get some rain here next week. Looking forward to it.)

I took hubby's car in for routine service yesterday and mentioned that the heater that was erratic (no, Judy, not erotic!) since last winter - had not only NOT improved (they couldn't find anything wrong then) it had gotten worse. Now they've found the problem and had to order parts. We can't get his car back until Monday. But they gave me a nice loaner. Doesn't really matter much. The heater problem is actually still covered under warranty and won't cost anything. So we are taking my car to Oakhurst tonight. I actually like traveling in my car better anyway. But hubby lays claim to better gas mileage as, like I said, I drive a SUV. (Mine is more practical and comfortable in every other way, though.)

Heading up to Oakhurst again tonight, girlfriends. We'll leave around 8 and after having dinner in Gilroy (Garlic Capitol of the World) at Mimi's, we will arrive on Mockingbird Lane about midnight. (Was it the Munsters or the Addams Family who lived on Mockingbird Lane?) I've got to get a few things in order around here before we take off. So, everybody have a lovely day and a good weekend.

Sister #3284 - on her Tippie Toes - oxox, Darlys

That is the best ... to laugh with someone because you both think the same things are funny.

Edited by - darlystippie on Sep 30 2011 11:48:30 AM
Go to Top of Page

debra e
True Blue Farmgirl

261 Posts

Debra
Georgia
USA
261 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2011 :  1:00:13 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Glenda from Ga. Wow you have one heck of a story in your background but you are a determined one. Good attitude and honesty with oneself is what I think gets you through the day. (Some days are hard to get there though...a good attitude) Today I choose to be happy. The weather is beautiful here and I did some good deeds for people that I know.(That always makes me feel warm & fuzzy inside.) Now I am going to go and get ready to pick up my mom and take her to see Joyce Meyers at our conference center. Are you all familiar with her? She is a hoot and I love how preaches about the Lord.
Judy, Hubby is home from Canton. He got home yesterday. He was gone for 12 days. Now I always like it when he goes off and I have a few quiet days to myself....but I have to say that I was ready for him to come home and have his company.
Talking about tv shows someone mentioned Halmark channel or Halmark movies. I LOVE those movies. They always touch my heart. I even cry at the Halmrk card commercials...silly me!
Another tv show that my dad liked to watch was Combat, and Bat Masterson!
And what was the name of one of the first game shows that had Gary Moore as the host and Kittie Carlile was on the panel? They would have to guess what the guest did for a living. Sometimes the panel would be blind folded so they couldn't see the guest and guess at who he or she was.
Well gotta go and get ready for my evening with mama.
Y'all have a good night.

Farmgirl Sister

Edited by - debra e on Sep 30 2011 1:06:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2011 :  1:33:45 PM  Show Profile
Glenda ... I am even more impressed now! You GO, girlfriend! With regard to looking for a subject/thread/group of farmgirls in similar circumstances .... I think we may have a couple ... but you can start your own thread. Put it out there and see what happens. Go to: All Forums ... Welcome Wagon ... and down at the bottom - in red letters - it will say Start a New Topic. Go for it and see what happens. Any problems, just call Brian at the Farm.

We do hope, though, that you will hang out with us and be one of our best girlfriends. You do, truly, fit right in. Many of us have been divorced - some more than once - some remarried and I think a few haven't. There are some gutsy gals here. I hope you'll find that we are non-judgmental and are ready to support you in your new-life journey. We already claim you as "our sister." --- and we've got to talk more about those hats - real soon! Please stay with us.

That is the best ... to laugh with someone because you both think the same things are funny.
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2011 :  1:56:20 PM  Show Profile
Just remembered! What's My Line? That's the one you were thinking of, Debra. And, I've cried at some of those Hallmark commercials, too.

Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2011 :  4:18:33 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Glenda, I did a quick search and found these,

http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=47170

http://maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=49445

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2011 :  4:46:36 PM  Show Profile
Hey Judy, was just thinking today, what ever happened to our Spunky farmgirl t-shirts??? We had some good time there didn't we. Before too long we will have snow again, and we can all go out and make snow angels again.!!!!! hahaah

http:///www.scatteredlittleblessings.blogspot.com

Seek reasons to Love..In every sigment of everyday-look for something that brings forth within you a feeling of Love-Abraham Hicks
Go to Top of Page

NixKat
True Blue Farmgirl

288 Posts

Kathleen
CT
USA
288 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2011 :  5:33:15 PM  Show Profile  Send NixKat a Yahoo! Message
Hello ladies. It's been a crazy week here and I haven't been able to get on-line to chat. I have lots of reading to do this weekend to catch up on what I've missed. Hope everyone is okay.

Have a great weekend.

{{{hugs}}}

Kathleen...... Farmgirl Sister #3447
Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2011 :  5:51:48 PM  Show Profile
Glenda, Good for you getting on with your life. We all have had our stories to tell. I too had a husband just walk out like that and not only left me with my remaining four from a previous marriage but left his two that he had custody of, in the middle of winter when the work was bad. We've all had something and we've all come through it. fortunately I've been blessed with good health. When my marriage broke up I couldn't afford to give up with six to feed and that's when I started quilting. Someday I may tell my story, but then again I have lot's of stories.

Another page in my book happened yesterday. I went on Facebook where I keep up with grandchildren that are scattered all over and found on there that my son's girlfriend had plastered all over Facebook that her and my son got married. They still haven't bothered to call me and tell me. I don't know why either. I've never met the girl and she is that as she is 17 years younger than my son so there isn't any reason I know of not to call me. One day I guess I'll find out. I won't let it get me down though.

So much goes on here. I look forward to reading what everyone is doing. I can laugh and cry with you all. It looks like rain out but we won't get any. The wind is blowing like crazy which might kick up a dust storm. Thank goodness I didn't clean house today.....
Go to Top of Page

lynnschlicht1961
Farmgirl in Training

20 Posts

lynn
swartz creek michigan
USA
20 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2011 :  6:10:44 PM  Show Profile
Sure have enjoyed reading everyone's posts tonight.

Glenda, my hat is off to you! I would love to see a mini farm, heck I'd love to have one. Miniture animals are just the coolest. Do you hunt? You just seem like the kind of lady that would.

The venture to town was an all day adventure. I haven't seen that much traffic since last Christmas time. I thought we had a recession going on. It was bumber to bumber. It's so nice to be home.

I too have been divorced, but I have to say that remarriage was the best thing that ever happened to me. It got me out of the city and into the country on 5 acres. We have a huge garden and try to live off the land as much as possible. I'm actually living my dream. I was country girl trapped in a city girls body for over 40 years, but now I'm freeeeeeeee!!!! LOL.

Ladies, it's time for me to sign of and say good night. Til tomorrow. Sleep tight!
Go to Top of Page

Oggie
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Ginny
Machias Maine
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2011 :  6:52:29 PM  Show Profile
Good Evening Ladies - I hope you all have a GREAT weekend.

Welcome Glenda! Just remember, there is a difference between being alone and being lonely. I am with myself a lot but never feel lonely. We women can do everything we set our minds to & the women in my life proved that to me as I was growing up. Think Rosy the Riveter (sp?)

My Dad died when I was 9 leaving my 36 year old Mother with 4 kids, $3.13 in her wallet, and 4 hours from family. The only car we had was my oldest brothers 1947 hot rod because the "family car" was a company car. This was in the early 1960's. But she and we survived and did a great job of it! She put herself through college while raising us four kids, then got a job, a house, and eventually a new husband who has been my Dad now for almost 45 years & doesn't see us as anything but his! We were never on welfare, but did have some social security help. We lived in some strange places, ate some even stranger meals, had lots of chores, but most of all were expected to take care of each other & keep the family together. She is now a great-grandmother to 15, grandmother to 11, and mother to 6. Can you tell, she is my hero?

Like many on here I have lived a very colorful life and frankly, still do!

I've had a strange week ladies. I told you someone gave me 4 chickens. Well, since then they have killed three so I seperated the two I think are the cannibals and told my SIL if she wants to butcher them, take them this weekend. I cleaned out the coop and their yard and am hoping that will put an end to it. Guess I better go to the Barnyard forum and find out if others have had this problem.

Tomorrow is a new day and I have to can, can, and can! Hope you all have a great weekend!

Ginny

Ginny
Farmgirl #2343
www.thedewhopinn.com

"I always have a wonderful time, wherever I am, whomever I'm with."
"Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it." Both by Elwood P. Dowd (Jimmy Stewart) in the Movie Harvey
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2011 :  6:52:43 PM  Show Profile
We are some tough broads, baby.

(i'm singing) ... on the road again ....

off to Oakhurst, ladies ... til later .... kisses

Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2011 :  03:42:52 AM  Show Profile
Good morning girls. I hope everyone is well.
I am pretty excited. Expecting my youngest son (Younger than his twin by 1 min.) to come from Ohio this weekend for a visit. He is bringing his G'friend and my grandpuppy. :)
I was in bed before 8pm last night. Had my flu shot and it made me a little nauseated. But I feel fine today and ready to tackle all that needs done. I have some necklaces to make, a few aprons to tackle and house to clean. Hopefully will find time to clean the yard of sticks and leaves.
Hubby is doing okay. His knees are pretty scabbed up and left one is still swollen but they are fine. We spent yesterday in the city shopping and hitting up all the thrift stores and yard sales we could find. My kind of day. :) I found an entire set of Rachael Ray cookware for a few bucks!

I just started a long to-do list. Hopefully will get most of it done. :) Have a good day.

Patty #1840

A rind is a terrible thing to waste. Compost.

When they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, “Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted.”
-Jesus in John 6:12 NIV Bible
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2011 :  05:52:33 AM  Show Profile
October 1st..Good Morning

The beginning of another month and I have a smile on my face.:)) I love the fall and even though I am in Florida we do get a few trees that change colors so I can see some red, orange and yellow leaves among the green. Not like the northeast but better than in southern California where I was living. The weather is cooling a little here and is now down inot the low 80's.

Glena, you go girl! You are so motivated and are living your life with goals and that is the way life is meant to be. Living every day fulfilling our dreams and going forward with determination. When my first marriage ended there was no way I was going to let that man ruin my life. You have survived as did I. I am now remarried for 24 years to the kindest, sweetest man ever. So great things can come from what we think is the darkest of days. You have proved this yourself.

Debra, that show you described was What's My Line. I always watched it. I liked Gary Moore. He was so relaxed and the panel was good. I like the way the guests had to sign in and then used these funny voices to answer.

Betty, I use FB to find out what my grandkids are up to also. It's the only way I can contact them. If I call I only get their message service. They never answer their email so it is FB all the way. I am sorry that you had to hear about your son's marriage that way. It' is too bad his girlfriend/wife couldn't have him call you or at least she couldn't have sent a note announcing the marriage. Hopefully he will remember to let you know soon. Sometimes men think they have told you something when they have just thought they have. It has happened to me quite a few times with my DH. I am sure it is not intentional.

Ginny, I am sorry to hear about your chickens. That is sad going out and finding that situation. I don't know anything about raising chickens at all. I know that here at the forum you can find all kinds of information about just about anything you need to know about them from the ladies who raise them.

Patty, Have a wonderful weekend with your son. How exciting having him come visit. You are really up early today with lots to do. I'm glad that your hubby's knees are okay and that you could spend a fun day with him yesterday at thrift stores and yard sales. That is what my DH and I love to do. We like antique places too. Just to look around, not always to buy things. Our favorite though, is the thrift stores and yard sales. You never know what good buys there are out there.

Off to meet this glorious day.

Hugs and more hugs,

Nancy #2301

Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2011 :  05:55:29 AM  Show Profile
Hi, I want to correct something I wrote.
Betty, I meant your son's girlfriend/wife could have had him call you or write you.

Nancy
Go to Top of Page

jollyquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

WV
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2011 :  09:26:50 AM  Show Profile
Boy is it cold here today! It was 38* for chores this morning and it is a good thing the hip is feeling some better cause I was moving faster than steam off a cow pie! I only go to the grocery store once a month, 1 I don't like to go and 2 I find it realaly saves me money in a big way. And I had not went since August. So yesterday evening dh and I ran to Aldi's and got most of what was on the list. Chicken Breast are on sale for $.98/lb and a few other things that Aldi's does not carry so I am taking the ad papers and going to Wally World this afternoon to get it all in one place. I don't like to do that but I still do sometimes. Maybe 3 times a year! So I am gettting about 40 lb of chicken and I will can it. This will last most of the winter so it is worth it. I hope to get some studio time today as well. Or an all nighter is going to be in my plans.

Darlys......The husky(Gustoff) is doing well. I can come and go now from the kennel at will and he will follow me around to see if I have cookies. And when I offer them he will now take them from my hand. But if I am squatting and I go to stand he still shys away. So yesterday I got a chair and took it in the kennel and he would let me sit and stand and this did not bother him so it has got to be the movement that he is afraid of. but he is eating well and now to get him so we can call the vet and know that he will allow him to check him out without any issues.

Also I have no time for picture taking now with this show pending!! ANd I do not even know how to post pics here. But I can tell you that i find a mans dress shirt at goodwill and I buy them big. I remove the cuffs and I add 1/4 elastic. I remove part of the collar and make a manderine collar out of it. And then I decide if I want to leave them plan or if I want to adorn them with fabric or embroidery. Most of the ones I have made to work in the garden with I have left plain but I have 2 that I have made to wear like to the fleamarket or other places where I will be outside for long periods of time and those I have adorned pretty heavily. It is just self expression. I was actually thinking of doing a few for my etsy shop over the winter.

I am going to scoot and I will BBL. Have a great day all!

www.StuffByKim.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2011 :  10:57:55 AM  Show Profile
Good morning everyone,

I was outside by 6:30 this morning and have just come in and it's !0:30 or thereabouts. I put up a new pole for my bird feeder and mounted a squirrel baffle on it (a big plastic bowl I bought at the dollar store)so they can't steal the seed. There are about 10 of them that were climbing the pole, stuffing their cheeks, burying that load and coming back for more over and over again. It doesn't take long to empty a feeder that way. I wonder if this is an indication of our winter to be. anyway I'm not feeding them that much and have it go to waste as they forget where they hide it. lol They're into the chickens feed pans also so may have to hand cast chicken feed for a while. I did another bird feeder last week and they can't get to it.

I planted a rose bush and trimmed some branches off plants that were overgrown and pulled few weeds in the front garden. I need to get in the iris garden and clean it up before too long. It was 58 when I went outside and was really chilly until I got to working. The weatherman is predicting rain and temps in the 70's for three days next week. I can deal with that. It seems like there is more yard work in the fall than in the spring but I could be wrong.

Well, I finished my coffe and now it's time to start laundry and clean house. I feel like I've done a days work already but I have to start on the house. Later today I'll sit down and watch all the shows I've recorded from PBS that has all my quilting/sewing/knitting and gardening shows on. They took off one of my favorite shows and that was Martha's sewing room. I loved to see all the vintage clothing she showed and instructions on how to make the lace. Several of the gardening shows are no longer on either. There was another called The Woodsmith shop that liked to watch as he did all this furniture with antique tools dating way, way back. I like antiques so the show always fascinated me.

Everyone have a great weekend.
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2011 :  12:04:27 PM  Show Profile
Betty, you mentioned squirrels, do you have any advice how to keep them off the balcony. We live in a duplex and we have alot of trees. But the climb right up the post and dig around in my plants. And we can be sitting out there and they don't care, up they come. Any thoughts, I would appreciate them. Sounds like you had a busy morning. Enjoy your recorded craft shows. Hugs,Brenda

http:///www.scatteredlittleblessings.blogspot.com

Seek reasons to Love..In every sigment of everyday-look for something that brings forth within you a feeling of Love-Abraham Hicks
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2011 :  12:52:47 PM  Show Profile
Gorgeous day here, too, Nancy. Rain in the forecast for next week. October is here! And I am so ready for autumn.

Glenda .. I just have to chime in with so many of the other farmgirls about remarriage. I swore I would "never" wash a man's dirty socks again when I divorced for the 2nd time in 1982. Husband #1 was a womanizer and #2 an alcoholic. Along with many here I can say - long stories, short. 17 years later I started seeing my husband-to-be and married him in December of 2000. We had known each other in church for 20 years. He had never been married. I was wiser, pickier, and it turned out I finally married the right man. A good man. And, yeah, I do wash his dirty socks and, actually, I don't mind at all. A dear friend of mine (who had been widowed) is about to celebrate her 3rd wedding anniversary. She is 83 and he is 92. They are perfect together. So, even though you are single and starting on a path that will likely have many twists and turns - never say "never." But do enjoy your life as you go forward. The adventure is there waiting for you. We posted close together so I just read the above. You just get more and more amazing! Straighten your tiara, girlfrined. You've got magic in your future.

We are in Oakhurst, arriving at 12:15 last night. It's just a tad cooler today. Hubby is out arguing with weeds again. And I just came in from feeding a couple of smallish evergreens (we planted last year) a good dose of liquid CowPoo. (LOL at your expression, Kim, "steam off a cow pie" - especially as I look at this bottle of CowPoo.) It says it's not compost tea - but the real thing. Hopefully, they will enjoy their treat and start catching up with the more mature trees that have been doing pretty good for the last 3 years. Today we will turn soil and maybe even get a bunch of daffodils planted. We have a large sunny area in front of the house, across the drive, that currently harbors a tough vine of sorts that is not very attractive - actually, it's downright ugly. And there are gopher holes everywhere. We were told by the nursery guy that gophers won't bother daffodils and so we're going for it. Might have to rent (or buy) a rototiller though.

I'm going to give the shirt/smock a whirl, Kim. Thanks for pointing me in that direction. I think I can do this.

I'm following your progress with the Husky. Many years ago I had a German Shepherd who "appeared" in the backyard. I tried to find an owner without luck. Probably a good thing. He was skittish and not very friendly. May have had bad experiences. But he took to me and really became "my dog." Named him Boris. He was okay with family and friends after a little bit, and he did obey me - but threatened anyone he thought was messing with me. Boris was smart, too. Lots of little stories. Once ate a plateful of Christmas cookies leaving 2 on the plate (maybe so I wouldn't notice?). He not only looked guilty - he had cookie crumbs on his face.

Betty, we record shows all the time ... it never occured to me (duh) that I might find and record the shows you are talking about on PBS! Now I've got to get on the menu and see what appeals. Quilting, of course, and I'll just bet there are others I'd enjoy, too. And, girlfriend, your life story "bit" testifies to one strong, gutsy and beautiful woman. Like bones, we become stronger in the broken places.

Ginny - your stories are wonderful. What a mother you have!
I am sorry to hear about your chickens, though. I have to admit I thought it funny that you came home to 4 more than were there when you left. But now, I'm not thinking it's funny any more. Again, I'm sorry. When we complete the move up here, I guess I mentioned that DH is actually considering our having chickens. Then I'll be roaming in the Barnyard, too.

Patty - you sound like you and your hubby are having a good ol time - glad he's on the mend.

PattyAnn - I got the card++ yesterday. You are so creative, adorable, warm, funny, fun and generous! BTW, My daughter says my birthday card is still on the table to be mailed. So, I'm still celebrating.

Time to get to work around here. Chores may not go away - but there's the rub. They don't go away!

Edited by - darlystippie on Oct 01 2011 12:58:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

craftbug
True Blue Farmgirl

545 Posts

Patsy
Clarkson Kentucky
USA
545 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2011 :  4:12:01 PM  Show Profile  Send craftbug a Yahoo! Message
Glenda: welcome! you're fitting right in here, lady. I too love the outdoors.

Kim: the lil tiny button to the left here where we write our messages is what you click on to post pics. just scroll to the bottom of this page and the button beside the word Message: is a tiny pic with an up arrow for upload. :)

Brenda: try some cayenne pepper all around the plants, might deter the buggers.

Darlys: had to read about Boris to my hubby, he just LOL'd, it IS funny!
and "DUH" to me too.. I record stuff all the time too and NEVER thought of PBS shows! need to look at the list too. hahaha

Can't believe it's October already! My youngest was born on the 7th and I got to pick the date since he was born C-section. I picked his birth to be 2 weeks before my birthday. neat huh?

mid 50s today is so fallish but no fun when windy. sigh. so glad I did the laundry 2 days ago when it was in the 70s.
Have a great night, ladies. :)

Make my words soft and tender, for I may have to eat them. :)
Go to Top of Page

jollyquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

WV
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2011 :  7:12:37 PM  Show Profile
Craftbug.......thanks for the pic tut! I will give it a try when I have some time and some pics!

Darlys.....I am glad you like hearing about Gustoff. He is very pretty and I believe he is about 4 years old maybe. He is still a dirty boy, but would love to bath him soon.

It is still cold here. Only got up to 50* and windy with a drizzle all day and sometimes heavier ran. I feel cold to the bone so i believe I am going to the tub with a good book. I got no time in the studio today at all. So guess what I am doing tomorrow? One or two more days of this weather and then next week back to the 70's. So it should not be to bad for my show next week. I sleep in the van each night so I don't mind it a little chilly. LoL.....I have done the April show and it has been down in the upper 20's at night. made me glad I was prepared with wool socks and winter silks and wool blankets and a dog.

I forget who it was who was having trouble with chickens getting killed, but I have to ask if you just put the new ones in with the regulars or did you keep them seperated for a few days to a week and then slowly let them get acquanted while you were around. It is not at all unlikely that they just did not except them. it takes a while with chickens especially if some are older than the others or more than one rooster. Just a thought! Let us know.

www.StuffByKim.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

lynnschlicht1961
Farmgirl in Training

20 Posts

lynn
swartz creek michigan
USA
20 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2011 :  7:41:01 PM  Show Profile
Fall seems to be settling in more quickly than I was prepared for. I do love fall. All the colors, smells and food. I made apple crisp today from apples grown just down the road. I love being able to get local apples from the neighboring farmer. Moregold and butternut squash were garthered from the garden. The last of the pole beans were picked. Fresh salsa was made from the garden. It was a productive day.

Yesterday I had to buy tires for the truck. Today while looking over the bill, I noticed 2 items that I hadn't asked for. The total of those items was over $80. The young whipper snapper that sold me the tires "forgot" to mention these items. Just because ther's snow on the roof doesn't mean there's no brain below it. So, back to the store I went for a refund. He tried to talk me out of it, but I stood my ground and got my refund.

This is a snuggle under a warm blanke kind of night.

Time to head off to bed. Church in the morning. Going to visit a new one.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 218 **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Farmgirls over age 50 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page