Page: of 218

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2011 :  8:32:35 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
I just have to share what I wrote on the porch...now that I am smiling because of all of you:

We had unexpected company today, kind of got me off my to do list...but that's ok, I got up at 6 this morning which is early for me...but it let me get some things done...I am going to post a pic of what happens when you get up early here on the farm...I saw this wild hogs coming out of the woods to get to our trees and the falling acorns....this is the area we do this in.

After we got this hung in the cooler I spent the next couple of hours doing this: pear butter and preserves

And yesterday afternoon, I spent about an hour digging up theseNow that is some BIG sweet potatoes

Hope to ride my horse tomorrow for the first time. I am sure it will be fun, Jiggy is so spoiled and he loves me a lot..so it should be a great day...the friends that visited today are coming back tomorrow and she is going to ride Joker...

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...

Edited by - Acelady02 on Oct 16 2011 07:21:35 AM
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2011 :  05:24:08 AM  Show Profile
Good morning, ladies! As I continue to get caught up on posts.....I see new names! Welcome to each of our new friends/farmgirls!! Well, I have my cup of tea, lol! Enjoyed some sips on the balcony and some quiet prayer time. Began to get a bit chilly! Fall is certainly in the air! Loving the season change. It was a long and hot summer! Are any of you familiar with the 'Grandma's Attic' series of books? Came out late 70s, I think? I have several that were my gma's. Just began, finally to start reading one of them last nite. They are a delight! Designed for young readers, much like 'Little House'. An easy and fun read tho. A nice change to escape the troubled times of the world for a bit! Well, I hope everyone has a great day today! I am going to take it easy and rest a lot, been struggling with some back probs. Penny, hang in there! You are doing the right thing and the Lord will see you thru! Will check in later today and see what y'all are up too! Blessings, linda www.scatteredlittleblessings.blogspot.com

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2011 :  05:31:20 AM  Show Profile
Good morning.

I had kind of an emotional day yesterday. I felt bad for you, Penny, and hope you are feeling better today. Then I got a letter from one of my pen pal friends that her mother has just found out she has lung cancer. She has had cancer several times before but this is quite a sad situation for her. They live in Michigan and last year she fell on the ice and broke her hip. My friend and her family were about to move to Idaho and had everything packed up but now cannot go. Things don't look too good for my fried's mother. I am praying for her.

I did get some sewing done on the quilt I am making and worked on my ATCs. I made chili for dinner and DH really liked it. I was surprised because I kind of just through it together and didn't take much time making it.

Penny, I love those huge sweet potatoes. They look like they are going to taste so good. they are my favorite kind of potatoe. The pear butter and preserves look so delicious. I hope you have fun riding today. I like your idea of taking your FIL out to dinner with just you and your DH. He will enjoy just having you two to enjoy without the tension. My daughter does not like my DH and there has been problems for over 25 years between them. Finally, 2 years ago they had a big blow-up and now even if they wanted to get together again I don't think I would trust them. They are like fire and gasoline. She takes offence to anything he says. She treats him so meanly. You would think that after 24 years of being married she would realize that he loves me. Enough of that!!

Going for my walk now with DH and Snuggles. Dogs are so great. Everyday is a new adventure for Snuggles. She is always so happy on her walk that maybe today she will see a squirrel or a lizard to chase. Maybe today will be the day. She runs and jumps. No worries...no cares.
It always lifts my spirts to take the walk with her. I am so thankful God gave us creatures to enjoy.

Nancy

Farmgirl Sister #2301

Laughter is good exercise. It is like jogging on the inside.

Families are like fudge. Mostly sweet with a few nuts.
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2011 :  07:59:35 AM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Good morning,

I am better today emotionally but physically paying for the standing and digging of the last 2 days...but it will ease up as the day goes on.

Linda, Isn't the cool weather wonderful...I love the change of seasons..I haven't heard of those books but so glad you are enjoying them...and thanks, I promise I am hanging in there...

Nancy, I am so sorry to hear about your penpals mother...so sad. I will keep "Nancy's" PenPal and Mother in my prayers. I am so sorry for the trouble between your DH and DD, I agree after 24 years you think she would except that he loves you and be happy for you...really, I don't understand people sometimes. I sure hope Snuggles finds her something to chase today...Dogs are such wonderful animals, It's wonderful how they can lift our spirits when they are around, and mine seem to know when I'm sad, they never leave my side during those times...hope you enjoyed your walk...give her a pat on the head for me please...lol

I got to get moving here and get the overalls on and boots, want to be ready when friends get here to ride the horses with me...hope back stops hurting or might have to put it off, and I've waited 2 1/2 yrs to ride my horse

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...

Edited by - Acelady02 on Oct 16 2011 11:43:00 AM
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2011 :  08:48:32 AM  Show Profile
Linda...I have never heard of Grandma's Attic Books...I will have to check them out.

Welcome Vikki...you will enjoy it here! Wonderful Women to get to know!

Judy...thanks so much for the "Funny Birthday Card"...loved it Miss Funny-Bones! You always
crack me up!

Penny...glad that you are doing better today! At least emotionally...now give your body a break
and it will love you for it. Ha Ha! Ride your horse and let the wind blow through your hair and
feel the freedom, peace and joy of just letting go and letting God!

Nancy...don't you think we should go over to Penny's for a Sweet Potatoe Bake and talk her into
roasting that pig in a pit for us? And I can just hear Penny saying, "Yeah, come on over!" {smile}

Well, I need to get some more sleep...before I start moving boxes today. Even living in this little
apartment...I have way too much "stuff". My whole family is full of women that collect Nic-nacs. We
love them all until we have to dust them. ha ha! Or pack them! I just tell guests that the dust all over my house is "furniture protection." bye......

Still laughing...
peggy

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

"Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch"

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be joyous, to be passionate, and to Be His!

Edited by - LadyInRed on Oct 16 2011 08:53:34 AM
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2011 :  09:31:52 AM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Peggy, you are so right, come on over, we are going to put that hog on the pit for DH birthday on the 29th, and I love sweet potato pies, and baked sweet potatoes...I will even make your favorite foods too. Nothing better than a pig pickin....lol sure hope you have a great day....I hope to ride today but the girl I'm suppose to ride with hasn't shown up yet, so might not happen today. Our two horses have been together for so long that you can't ride just one without the other...they are kind of joined at the hip...lol

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2011 :  10:21:42 AM  Show Profile
PeggyAnn, did I miss something? Probably did, lol? I am catching up on posts. Or senior moment, lol! Are you moving? Moving far? My apt fairly good size, but I know what you mean about the stuff and nic knacks! Here 2 yrs and still finding where to put things! Ha ha ha! Have a good afternoon all! Farmgirl hugs, linda www.scatteredlittleblessings.blogspot.com

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2011 :  11:22:43 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Vikki - We are so glad to have you here. Just jump in with these "experienced" women on the farm and you will soon find you are among your old (pun intended) friends!

Penny, I'm so glad you are feeling better. Sounds like you've got your power and energy back, gf. Wow! I had to call DH over here to look at your photos! He just laughed and went outside to finish planting some daffodils and to set in the Huckleberry bush we just bought yesterday. We got a 10 gallon wire basket to set in the ground so the gophers won't be able to get to the roots. It's really pretty with some fall colors showing on the leaves and it's loaded with huckleberries right now.
Enjoy riding, Penny, make your heart happy!

Nancy, Same wavelength! I made chili night before last. It was good and easy. We had it for lunch yesterday, too. Still have some leftovers. I'll bring those back to Cupertino and I'll have it for lunches next week.
I am so very sorry about your penpal's mother and for their family. They, and you, are in my prayers. As we learn so much about each other here - it is like we are more than farmgirl sisters - it's more like, though our sharing, we are nigh onto kin.

Linda, I hope your back gets better today. Here's some farmgirl solidarity for you: I think I added a foot to my chiropractor's yacht - and I still have to be careful. It's annoying because I still want to do it all...and I can't.

PeggyAnn, I put your b'day card in the mail the other day. I figured I would try to get it to you before the move - when you will have to remember - along with everything else - to get us your new address. (And like I said before, at the rate you are going .... well, I just hope I sent it soon enough to get to you before you turn the lock.) Start celebratin' the 3rd anniversary of your 20th birthday early, gf. Forget dustin' those knicknacks -- just keep on partyin' 'til the cows come home - or some such thing!

Lynn - 3 years! Is there a love story here?

Brenda! Congratulations on the announcement of the new grandbaby-boy! This won't be your last "senior night" on the football field. Give this senior a big hug and kiss and then start looking forward to the next one. You've got more grandkids with potential, gf. Enjoy!

Enjoy your Sunday, my precious friends. It's a beautiful day here and everywhere. God is in the details. Ahhhhh. Praise and Gratitude.

Chocolate Kisses ....

Sister #3284 - on her Tippie Toes - oxox, Darlys

That is the best ... to laugh with someone because you both think the same things are funny.
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2011 :  11:35:34 AM  Show Profile
....a quick jump-in. My sister(craftbug) is here visiting me. She has a 59th birthday on Oct 21st. Would be nice to fill her mailbox with cards while she's here so that when she gets back, she'll have a surprise!!! ;-)

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
"Why couldn't I have been born Rich instead of So Good Looking?"
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2011 :  11:51:12 AM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Judy, got her on my list...and being getting her card made...so their will be at least one in there, but you now how are farmgirl sisters are....she will have many more I'm sure...

Once again, thank you all for the love and support....I just read all the posts to my DH and when I tell you what he said and did you will understnad why I love this man so...

He said wow, isn't it something to have such a close relationship with such Christian ladies over the computer...and as I read trying to hold back the tears(which I couldn't) I looked over and he had tears streaming down his face too....I love a man that can show his emotions...He wanted me to tell all of you thank you, for being my friends and really caring about me. He agrees with me, that I am so blessed to have each of you in my life...

Oh Peggy and Nancy (and everyone else) he said come on over and joined the pig pickin...

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

Edited by - Acelady02 on Oct 16 2011 12:15:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2011 :  12:12:08 PM  Show Profile
Quick ... quick note! Gotta get some housework done. We'll leave for Cupertino about 7ish tonight. Company coming next weekend. SIL & BIL so I don't really have to spit-shine, but still ....

Judy, I was just thinking about you. I hope you are feeling a little better, hon. And, Patsy's card has been in the mail for a couple of days now. It should be there in plenty of time for her b'day .

Penny - you tell your DH that he's the grand prize. Add me to the pig-pickin' party, babe!

Chocolate Kisses ....

OMGosh! Wasn't Babe a cute pig?!!! I'm so sorry!

That is the best ... to laugh with someone because you both think the same things are funny.

Edited by - darlystippie on Oct 16 2011 12:19:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2011 :  12:21:25 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Ok Darlys, you are on the list....now wouldn't this be the greatest thing to all get together for a pig pickin or dang anything else as far as that goes...And thank you Darlys, I will tell him what you said...he is the GRAND prize, I thank GOD everyday for bringing such a wonderful man into my life, after some of the scum(sorry) I've had. I had decided after my divorce that I was made to be along, since my marriages were so bad, but GOD had other ideas, Jim makes up for how poorly I have been treated in my past....there is nothing better than to be loved for who you are and how you are and not having someone try to change you...he accepts me, for me.....ok sorry, didn't mean to go off like that....but.......couldn't help myself.

Once again ladies, hugs and lots of love for all of you my dear and wonderful FG sisters...

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2011 :  3:18:48 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone,

Just came on here to say "bye." We leave in the morning for Las Vegas (about a four hour drive) where we'll spend the night and fly out at 6am on Tuesday. I'm not packed yet but everything is out and ready to pack as soon as hubby comes home and gets out what he wants to take. All my chickens have clean pens, full of food, fresh water so my neighbor can take over tomorrow for me. I have a parakeet egg in each nest and parents are busy watching over them. Mama hen could start hatching tomorrow and my neighbor will call me if she sees babies. I have starter food ready to put out this evening just in case.

The weather is supposed to be nice for the wedding and most of the trip. We might get rain in Atlanta but nothing humongous. I'll have a lot to read up on when I come back. All of you have a great week. I plan to. Hugs, Betty
Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2011 :  3:58:48 PM  Show Profile
Good afternoon, It has been a busy last couple of days. Had a fall event to set up at yesterday and have been working like crazy to get ready...all the last minute things. I hooked up to the trailer lights they wouldn't work. Hubby is in Ohio, so it was up to me. I worked and worked on them Friday afternoon. Not fixed but, I made them work for the day. Will work on them this week so I am prepared next week. Sold loads of aprons and spoon bracelets yesterday, so will have to work on making more. I am so exhausted. Somedays I wonder if I will ever catch up on my rest. Managed to get a load of laundry on the line, and a little housework done. I raked some leaves up in the yard, then dog poop, all up out of the yard! Pigeon coop cleaned out. Fixed lunch for a dear friend of mine and we went for a 3 mile walk. I think I earned my keep today. No wonder I am exhausted.
I am so excited. My daughter and her family are coming from Monterey Ca next month. They will be here about 3 weeks. I will be spoiling grandbabies for sure. :)
Well, off to fix me some dinner and then into a nice long bath.

Patty #1840

A rind is a terrible thing to waste. Compost.

When they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, “Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted.”
-Jesus in John 6:12 NIV Bible
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2011 :  4:18:12 PM  Show Profile
Goodness, such busy and fun times many of you are having! Love reading the posts! It is like a wonderful time of tea/coffee and chatting with friends at a coffee house.Enjoy the evening everyone!! Farmgirl hugs, linda

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

lynnschlicht1961
Farmgirl in Training

20 Posts

lynn
swartz creek michigan
USA
20 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2011 :  5:02:30 PM  Show Profile
Just a quick note. I have to go finish making apple butter.

Sounds like everyone is having a good day.

I had a great day yesterday with my hubby scouring through a junk yard looking for a rubber floor liner for a 49 truck he's been restoring. I found a very cool pickle jar in a van. It's amazing what you find in a junk yard LOL

Have a wonderful evening.

Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2011 :  9:52:01 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
I was browsing the web tonight and came across a few good websites, someone one here was asking about information on being self sufficient. So I thought I would share the site and some of the publications she suggested, guess what MJF is on that list. I copied and pasted this list from the website below
http://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/

MAGAZINES/JOURNALS FOR SELF SUFFICIENT LIVING

Backwoods Home
Grit
MaryJane's Farm
Mother Earth News
Small Farmer's Journal
The Herb Quarterly
The New Pioneer Magazine

BOOKS FOR SELF SUFFICIENT LIVING

Ball Blue Book Guide to Preserving, by Altrista Consumr Products
Cider beans, wild greens, and dandelion jelly : recipes from Southern Appalachia, by Joan E. Aller.
Preserving Food without Freezing or Canning: Traditional Techniques Using Salt, Oil, Sugar, Alcohol, Vinegar, Drying, Cold Storage, and Lactic Fermentation, by The Gardeners and Farmers of Centre Terre Vivante and Deborah Madison
Root Cellaring: Natural Cold Storage of Fruits & Vegetables, by Mike Bubel and Nancy
Seed to Seed: Seed Saving and Growing Techniques for Vegetable Gardeners, by Suzanne Ashworth and Kent Whealy
The Dehydrator Bible: Includes over 400 Recipes - Paperback , by Jennifer MacKenzie, Jay Nutt and Don Mercer
The Encyclopedia for Country Living, by Carla Emery
The Family Cow (A Garden Way Publishing Book), by Dirk Van Loon
The Forager's Harvest: A Guide to Identifying, Harvesting, and Preparing Edible Wild Plants, by Samuel Thayer
The Forgotten Arts, Making Old-Fashioned Jellies, James, Preserves, Conserves, Marmalades, Butters, Honeys, and Leathers, editor Clarissa M. Silitch, Yankee Books
The Ultimate Guide to Homesteading: An Encyclopedia of Independent Living (The Ultimate Guides) - Paperback (Mar. 10, 2011), by Nicole Faires
Your Backyard Herb Garden: A Gardener's Guide to Growing Over 50 Herbs Plus How to Use Them in Cooking, Crafts, Companion Planting and More, by Miranda Smith

Also I came across a site called Small Town Living, it looks like a magazine you can read online and even download with so much info. www.STliving.com I have gone to alot of the websites they talk about and it is so much info, I think it will take me awhile to go through it all, I think I was able to download the last 4 or 5 issues no charge, and it looks like if you want to go back further than that you can get the magazine to download for $3. each. You can read the whole magazine offline after you download it...

I just added this too..
this is another site it is one of the best I've ever found, it has soooo much stuff in it.
http://down---to---earth.blogspot.com/

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

Edited by - Acelady02 on Oct 17 2011 05:37:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2011 :  05:17:39 AM  Show Profile
Good morning to my farmgirl sisters! Penny, you have shared some of my favorites, and I have learned some new! Can't wait to check some out today! I also love.........Homesteading Today. Its a message forum with all kinds of topics and great people with info. Also love Countryside, small stock journal. Not sure exactly the stock part of it? Have loved and subscribed on/off for years now! My fav book is Carla Emory's that you mentioned. Got it first sometime in the late 70s or early 80s. I may not be in a house anymore? But I am still looking for ways to be as self sufficient as possible even in my apt! I have been gathering new bread recipes, recipes to make own tortillas, etc, etc, etc. Little by little. No matter our space or circumstances, farmgirl is a state of the heart!! Well, it is time for tea and early AM sounds on the balcony. Check in later and see what everyones up to today! Have a good morning! Farmgirl hugs, linda www.scatteredlittleblessings/blogspot.com

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2011 :  05:23:44 AM  Show Profile
Darlys, lol, loved your 'chiropractor/yacht' comment! Too funny! Day by day, we plug along and get thru, right? Ok, teatime! Farmgirl hugs, linda

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

Oggie
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Ginny
Machias Maine
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2011 :  07:18:24 AM  Show Profile
Well I've only made it to page 93 after not being here in a long while and figured I'd better say a few things because it could take me days to catch up! So up to now:

Judy - I am so sorry you have shingles and I hope it goes away quickly and never comes back. My Mom had shingles in her eyes and because of it has had two cornea transplants in one eye and is still blind in it! She's starting to go blind in her only good eye which isn't good when she's taking care of a house, a husband, a garden, and doing all the driving! So I really hope it goes no further for you!! I'll keep you in my prayers.

PeggyAnn - I too have fibro so I completely understand how you feel. I am tired all the time and can go to sleep at the drop of a pin. I ache and no matter how much exercise I do, I always ache. And I often feel like my joints just freeze up, especially when I sit for a little while and try to stand up. It's like all the blood has to get back into the legs! I wouldn't wish this on anyone, that's for sure! AND I LOVE YOUR SPOONS! What a great idea! They are beautiful, you do good work at your kitchen counter, lol!

Glenda - If you ever make it to Northern Maine, please let me know! I live about as far North and East as you can get and still be in the USA. There is NOTHING where I live. Nearest stop light is 60 miles away! We have a lot of tree's, lakes, and of course the ocean. Most peoploe never get this far Downeast, they tend to stay in Southern Maine where it's more touristy and what folks think Maine is. You and Ed look like a wonderful couple and no, he doesn't look 86 nor do you look 68! What a great guy to take you all over the world! Glad you found someone to make you happy.

Linda - For years we use to throw seeds into our compost and see what would grow. It was always a surprise to us. This year we didn't do that now that I have a field for a garden but ironically something started to grow. I think it may have been muskmellon but it was late in the season and the "fruit" didn't really grown into anything. It's been fun though. One year we had acorn squash growing in the pine trees and hanging down from the branches, lol.

Welcome Diane! I hope you stick around with us old ladies! Of course I feel and act about 25, but my body is definately 57!

Holly - I too tend to freeze my garden produce as it's so much easier. I do can my tomato's, pickles, jams, pears, and applesauce, but everything else gets frozen. I think it's because I am harvesting it all at once and I get so busy and so tired I find the easy way out of it which is to freeze the stuff. Let's just hope we don't have another ice storm like 1998. Did you have it in Vermont? We were without power for 10 days and it never got above 10 degrees! I felt like I was living in a war zone as you could hear all the ice on the tree's cracking all the time and you always had to look up if you ventured outside so no ice would hit you on the head. It was horrible.

I just learned last night my Dad (stepdad but Dad to me), who is 92, is in the hospital. Please keep him in your prayers ladies! They were eating lunch after church yesterday at Fuddruckers(?) and he got really sick so a friend who was with them took him to the bathroom (he could lbarely walk with his walker). He came out later to tell Mom that she needed to call 911 as Dad was throwing up and having diharria(?) at the same time. They did a cat scan and found his colon was "schenic". Basically part of it is dead. This happened 5 years ago and they did surgery and told my Mother he'd never make it but he made it through the surgery and was in the hospital for 3 weeks. They put him in a nursing home and Mom and my sister went there the next morning and found him sitting on the side of the bed throwing up and the other guy in the room said he'd been doing it all night and no one was helping him. So they immediately got a wheel chair and took him out of there and insisted he get back to the hospital. Then I went down and brought him home and took care of him for 5 months and he was back to his old self. I don't know if I could do that now with a job and my own hubby just starting to walk again. I hate being this age as all of your elders start dieing on you.

Brenda - That must have been so much fun holding the sign for your grandson! You are lucky to have some of your grandchildren near you. I hope when I have some I'm as lucky but right now the daughter lives 4 hours away and doesn't plan on coming home anytime soon! Family and friends is what is important. Before moving to Maine I worked for a lobbiest in DC and was in the center of the universe so to speak. But when I got pregnant I knew it wasn't a place to raise a family and we moved here. The pay got cut in half but the quality of life is 100 times better.

Patty - I loved your story about Ben too. I you gave me a BIG laugh at the end when you said you were still training your new hubby! It's so true! Love your craft room too. Mine is a big mess, want to come and clean it for me, lol?

Enough babbling, back to work or back to reading the next 5 pages.

Have a great week ladies!
Ginny

Ginny
Farmgirl #2343
www.thedewhopinn.com

"I always have a wonderful time, wherever I am, whomever I'm with."
"Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it." Both by Elwood P. Dowd (Jimmy Stewart) in the Movie Harvey
Go to Top of Page

DEW
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

Dianne
Weiser Idaho
USA
317 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2011 :  07:20:59 AM  Show Profile
Hi Everyone

Wow I am away for the weekend and all kinds of things happen. Penny I love your giving heart don't change! I think I lerned some things from all you have been through.I doubt I would have handeled it as well as you did. You are truly wonderful. Also I love the magazines you mentioned and I dito Linda on Countryside.Thanks for the book tips. I may not live in the country yet, but with God's blessing that may happen soon. Then I will have to move. Augh!!

Well it's off to work. You all have a wonderful day.

Dianne
Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2011 :  08:28:31 AM  Show Profile
Good morning.... Having some Pumpkin Spice Latte this morning. I found the recipe online and love it! The key word today is motivation! I better add FOCUS to that too...lol. I just signed up for a World Series ticket giveaway. Hubby will be so excited when I win and we get to go see the Cardinals play. :)

Penny, thanks for all the sites and book recommendations. I already checked out the stliving site. I think I am gonna love it.

I have so much to do this week, and the following weeks. It is that countdown to the holidays from here on out. Busy, busy, busy.
We had our local sisterhood meeting this past weekend, and we each wrote a letter to a military member and sent them off to the news station per the link I posted last week. It was difficult at first and some of the ladies drug their feet from the weight of excuses. But as we started reading what was written out loud, the creative juices started flowing. Everyone wrote a letter and they were all nice written letters. :) I am glad we wrote these letters! I think it was a good thing and though seemed hard at first, it surely gave us all a warm fuzzy feeling after we accomplished it. These type of things will make our group a success, and create the heart warming type of group we want to be. We also started a cookie plate list. At our next gathering we will set a date to get together and bake cookies. We will prepare a plate for each person we have put on our list. The cookies will be a wonderful excuse to give those a visit that I am sure they will appreciate so much. I think the visit will be as important as the cookies. We learned to etch glass at our meeting and enjoyed chill and a baked apple dessert. I love these meetings and am so glad we started them.

Peggy - Here are a couple of the pictures of the bracelets. Not sure if you can get on this FB page of the things I make but here is a link. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Country-Girls-Gone-Green/294978530516397

Well, I am hardly getting anything done sitting in front of this computer. Have a wonderful productive day!

Patty #1840

A rind is a terrible thing to waste. Compost.

When they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, “Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted.”
-Jesus in John 6:12 NIV Bible

Edited by - thebyrdhaus on Oct 17 2011 3:00:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2011 :  09:44:42 AM  Show Profile
Just had to stop by for a couple of minutes this morning. Really need to get something done around here so I can't stay long. Read a whole bunch of posts ... I just love you all sooooo much! Hey, Linda - we do get through, indeed ...

And Penny, I've made myself a note on my Stuff-To-Do sticky note ... "Penny's website/publication/book list - pg 98." I will be back there later to check it out."

Only 4 days here this week as we go to Oakhurst Thursday evening. (SIL & BIL coming to visit and they want to go into the park on Friday. Not as many people in the park then as there are on weekends.)

Later, gfs. Have a wonderful, smiley face day!

Chocolate Kisses ....

Go to Top of Page

Oggie
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Ginny
Machias Maine
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2011 :  10:37:27 AM  Show Profile
I finally caught up! And I used my Notepad !!!! Thank you for instructions Judy! I can't believe I didn't know that before!

PeggyAnn - A washer and dryer!! You are going to be in heaven! Enjoy the new house! Furniture Protection - ROTFL! I finally bought glassed in bookcases for mine!

Patty - Cute boys!

Judy & Glenda - Talk about burning food, I always forget. My DH normally does the cooking for this reason. But I have been for the last 4 months and I get side comments from him. Grrrr! That just makes it worse!

Yardsales are great! I find all week I am tired and hate getting up for work but come Saturday I wake up by myself knowing it's yard sale day
Well at least during the summer. We don't have any in the winter.

Linda - You were talking about our android. My DH bought me a tablet a couple of years ago and it was horrible! I just ordered an IPhone 4S about two weeks ago, very excited because I've never had a fancy cell phone. In fact my daughter kept telling us we were the only parents of her friends that didn't have a cell phone until I added a line to her bill! So I decide to get up todate with all this technoogy and what happens, they sent it to my daughters old address so neither of us even got it on Friday when I was suppose to. Now I have to re-order and probably won't since the thrill is gone and I need a new roof! Oh well, it just isn't meant to be. :) I hope your back is doing better.

Brenda - Congratulations on a new Grandson!! How exciting. I can't wait for that period in my life.
It's like when I was a kid and couldn't wait to grow up, now I can't wait to be a grandma! But first the daughter needs to marry. :)

Lynn - It's funny about eating out. Since I've been cooking we have probably gotten take out more than the 28 years we have been married! lol

Betty - Were you challenging us to write to page 100? Looks like we may get there by the time you land in NC, lol! Have a great time! Don't foregt a picture of yourself! We all want to marvel at your creative sewing!

Penny - I hope you are doing better today and that you know you are doing what is right with your FIL. The world is filled with petty people that make mountains out of mole hills. You just have to ignore them. Loved your pear butter picture, hmmmmm! I didn't get any pears this year because of my DH. Well there's next year. And the wild hog is awesome! Good for you guys! I didn't know they stilled existed in the USA, so that's good to know. I'll be at that pig roast too! Sweet potato's are my favorite!

Ginny
Farmgirl #2343
www.thedewhopinn.com

"I always have a wonderful time, wherever I am, whomever I'm with."
"Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it." Both by Elwood P. Dowd (Jimmy Stewart) in the Movie Harvey
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2011 :  2:11:42 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Hi all,

Linda KS, I am glad you liked my post...I was so excited to see MJF on the list of SELF SUFFICIENT MAGS. Even in your apt. you are a country girl at heart, I spend so much time last night checking out the last website I posted about...so much good stuff on there.

Ginny, I am so sorry to hear about your Dad, I will keep him in my prayers, please keep me posted on how he is doing...wish I could give you a big hug...well here is the best I can do {{{hug}}}Isn't it amazing that we are up to page 99....??? When I joined back in July we were at page 56 or 57 I think... Come on to the pig picken and we will have some of my sweet taters too. Thank you for your nice comment on my pear butter and all...so sweet of you. The south is loaded with wild hogs...we have so many around us, they will tear up everything if you don't shoot a few every now and then...it was just a few weeks ago that I saw my first live wild hog and since then I have seen them as close as 40 yards in front of my front porch. DH shot that one at about 75 yards.

Now we have Peggy, Nancy, Darlys and Ginny so far for the pig picken, oh how I wished we could really do it, never know maybe someday...so who else wants to be added?

Dianne, thank you for the kind words, I hope you had a great weekend

Patty, Love the bracelets...cool

Darlys, glad you like the site, me too...I found so much on it that I liked and tooo much to read, was having sleepy eyes last night trying to read it before bed. lol

I am cooking bacon, eggs and pancakes for supper with pear syrup...wow am I hungry now....check back later on everyone..

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

Edited by - Acelady02 on Oct 17 2011 2:22:45 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 218 **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Farmgirls over age 50 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page