True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2011 :  8:33:12 PM  Show Profile
Aloha gfs

Holly - picked this up from Wikopedia ...
"The bowl of poi was considered such an important and sacred part of daily Hawaiian life that whenever a bowl of poi was uncovered at the family dinner table, it was believed that the spirit of Hâloa, the ancestor of the Hawaiian people, was present. This is because Hawaiians believed that the taro plant, or kalo, was the original ancestor of the Hawaiian people.[1] Because of that, all conflict among family members had to come to an immediate halt."

Anyway, poi is just mashed cooked corn and water - water added to the desired consistensy. It's eaten with the fingers. I'm not a fan ... but it is edible ...almost a bland corn soup/gruel. The fish selection here is fantastic. Of course, it's all fresh. I didn't know it is the spam capital of the world either ... that explains some of the souveniery things touting spam and macaroni salad. Macaroni salad is a staple here. Had wonderful fish and chips for lunch down the beach at Duke's. I had a picture taken of us at the table but somehow you ducked out. I think you were more for dipping in the surf than mugging for the camera.

I love reading about you with your children - the farm - your life ... everything ... I know I sound like a broken record ... but it's so true. I am probably somewhere in the middle between you and your partner on the gun issue. I have great respect. I don't, however, know how to use one.

Glenda - my precious gf, I am so sorry you are going through tough times. Your brother and your family are all being lifted in prayer. This is not meant to be a "hopeful" but a former husband had throat cancer. He should not have lived but somehow (no chemo - but did do some surgery) hung on for several years ... and he wouldn't stop smoking til the day he died. I pray that your brother will somehow come through this - but that - in any event - God's peace will be present in every step of this difficult journey. Enjoy your friends and here's a mai tai to tide you over, sweetheart.

Claudia - just read my DH your post. He, like most guys, is a weather follower. I think he's looking for the weather channel right now.

Debra -- I'm so glad you are feeling better.

Nancy - thinking of you and wishing you could share some sand with me.

Thelma - I'm making Thanksgiving Dinner for nine and then who knows how many will be showing up for my bff's birthday dinner bash on Saturday. I'm still trying to get a headcount for that dinner.

We did the craft fair thing again this morning and then hung out by the pool until lunch. After fish & chips - and sharing a hula pie ... (a huge wedge of vanilla ice cream on an oreo-like crust with chocolate frosting and crushed macadamia nuts on top ... we came back to the villa and lounged on the lanai. It's been kind of overcast today but warm and a bit muggy.

Sunday we head back to the mainland. We are flying non-stop on United (usually we have lay-overs in Honolulu when flying Hawaiian) and will get into SFO a little after 9 p.m. So, gfs, tomorrow I will have to start scrunching you all back into the bags for the trip home. Mahalo for behaving.

Love and Chocolate Macadamia Nut Candy Kisses ... til Monday ...

Sister #3284 - on her Tippie Toes - oxox, Darlys

That is the best ... to laugh with someone because you both think the same things are funny.
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2011 :  8:50:25 PM  Show Profile
OK...I thought I would read right along with you all this evening. Yes, Glenda, I have hung around that darn Pinterest. I find that when I am working things out or needing to be quiet(hardy har)it is easy to go to a sight like that and not have to talk. Although I don't have to explain my being quiet, you are still concerned and that is what is so admirable.

Glenda...to you many hugs and prayers as I know it must be hard and such a burden to worry about your brother and the effects his decisions will make on the family. I would like to know his first name so I can pray for him by name. We never know the outcome, but I believe there is a good God who will be walking through this with him.

Debra, I love your pinecone angels. They are so cheerie. Please all take care of yourselves. It is too early in the season to get the flu and colds. We all may have a long winter. Blessings to you all!

Buffypuff/ Claudia ~ Farmgirl Sister #870 @}~~
"God sends no one away empty except those who are full of themselves." DL Moody

Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2011 :  11:56:27 PM  Show Profile
Evening, or nite to all! Glenda, I am so sorry to hear about your brother. Will keep good thoughts and prayers for him. Claudia, just sent a message to you on fb yesterday! Glad to read your posts! Hope everyone enjoys their nite. Farmgirl hugs, linda(ks)

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2011 :  05:44:37 AM  Show Profile
Good morning Ladies... Gosh, The sinus cold has blown into a full blown cold. Body aches, coughing and runny nose. What a time to be sick with my grandbabies here. Jake had his surgery yesterday and what was suppose to be a 3 hour surgery turned into almost 6 hours. He will come home from the hospital today. His girlfriend is there to take care of him and he will come to Illinois in a few days with hubby.
I won an ebay bid on a new card reader for my embroidery machine. It should be here today! I am so excited. I have not been able to use my embroidery machine since moving here. I almost have all the thrift store finds (clothing for the kids) washed, pressed and tagged with my "Clothesline Re-wear" tags. They are so cute! Now to wrap them all. I am wrapping them in brown paper, and shopping bags made from t-shirts, with a ribbon tied to it. Of course clothes and books are the majority of my gifts. I have been picking up the little free flashlights at Harbor Freight all year to give to the guys on the list. My DD asked if I had any extra...she wants one for her van. The girls are all getting necklaces made from recycled pottery, reusable swiffer covers, dust rags and a variety of other items I make. I am making name banners for each of the kids bedrooms. The little girls are getting their easy bake ovens with my homemade mixes label "Meemaw's Kitchen" and I am building a play barn from scrap wood for my grandson. I have had a hard time finding plastic animals at thrift stores. For our parents, we are giving them some home canned goods and an oil change from a local garage owned by the little guy, not a chain. I am having so much fun being creative with this reused, homemade Christmas, I am sure it will be a great Christmas.

Welcome to all the new ladies. This is a fun, supportive and friendly group of gals!

Debra - The angels are adorable. Thanks for sharing.

Brenda- You are too funny. I always park next to a cart corral because I can never find our car or truck when I come out. We have a 'go to church, weddings and funerals car" and we each have a pick-up truck. I never remember what vehicle we are in when I come out of a store.

Betty- Hatching chickens is so much fun. Too late in the year for anyone to hatch chickens around here. I worry about the pigeons not feathering out enough to keep warm.

Holly- I love the documentary Food Inc. When company comes, I make them watch it...lol. I am so anti- Monsanto! No Round-up for this gal. And I encourage others too. It is sad the way the farmers are treated.

Ginny- Gosh, I know how you feel when you lose a chicken. When Hubby's dog killed my young pigeon, I teared up and wanted to cry. I felt terrible that I trusted the dog. Never again!

Glenda - Thanks for sharing the link to Margaret's Natural Health Blog. I have so enjoyed reading it. I bookmarked it and will continue reading her post. Prayers go out to your brother and family. My heart goes out to you as well.

Betty- I am so jealous...lol. I am having withdrawal from sewing. :) I love my alone time in my sewing room. Too much going on right now to enjoy it. And then the kids brought home repairs... so when I get a chance to sew, it won't be creative sewing.

Nancy- I rarely ever buy fabric. I can get sometimes new sheets or almost new at thrift stores. I am also "dark green" so try to recycle all that I can. But it does not make it cost effective if I have to pay new price.

Claudia - I am glad you reappeared from out of the dooms of pinterest..lol Have you taken the time out to try any of the recipes or do any of the DIY's? What else is there to do with the weather you are having!

Darlys- Enjoy your last days! Have a safe trip home.

Holly- Have you located pigeons yet? I am impressed with your mothering skills as well. We have guns in our house as the kids and I have always hunted. Hubby and I do have our Ohio concealed carry license. Though they are useless in the anti-gun state of Illinois.

Well, back to bed. This cold is kicking my butt! BTW...I have been listening to Christmas music since Oct 20th on Pandora... I love it.

Patty #1840

A rind is a terrible thing to waste. Compost.

When they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, “Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted.”
-Jesus in John 6:12 NIV Bible
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2011 :  3:00:12 PM  Show Profile
Sad news today:
My Mama's only sister(Gertrude) passed away....she turned 91 Oct 21(my sister-Patsy's birthday)....and Mama says she had a rough life and she isn't suffering anymore. She's been in a nursing home for some years now. The last couple of years she started to get dementia, but knew everyone up until a few months ago.She fell in her room last week and fractured her hip, had surgery, came thru fine, had therapy for a week, then was moved to another nursing facility closer to her one daughter just yesterday.This morning she was fine when the nurse checked on her,but when she came back a little later...she was gone. Mama is such a pillar of strength, and was even comforting my cousin on the phone, but I know that losing your only sister has to hurt a lot. I know I would be devastated. Mama just lost Daddy 2 years ago and her brother about 10 years ago. This is her last close sibling. She has half brothers & sisters, but that's not the same is it?I have wonderful memories of my Aunt.I will cherish those.
I know that you don't know my Mama, but I talk about you and read your funny notes to her and she loves it. Could I ask a favor of you,Sisters? Could some of you send her a card and help me to shoulder this heart-heavy load?
Let me know and I will post her address here, or you can e-mail me!
Thanks Girls!

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
"Why couldn't I have been born Rich instead of So Good Looking?"
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2011 :  3:56:37 PM  Show Profile
Judy so sorry to hear about the loss of you Aunt Gertude. You and your mama are in my prayers and I'd love to send her a card. So please send me her address, Bless her little heart, our mama's seem to be very strong, yet they do need our loving them and caring after them. Helps them to remember that they are special. Hang on to those special memories. And share them with all the little ones so they'll know her also. Sending prayers and hugs, Brenda

http:///www.scatteredlittleblessings.blogspot.com

Seek reasons to Love..In every sigment of everyday-look for something that brings forth within you a feeling of Love-Abraham Hicks
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2011 :  4:19:54 PM  Show Profile
I'm so sorry Judy. It has to be hard on all of you. I feel as though I know her with the notes you send, so would you post her address here? I don't want to lose it with Nikki and family coming tomorrow and all. And YOU, my dear! Is there anything I can do for you? You are such a supporter of your Mama...and I love that about you. It has to be difficult for you too. My Mama is an only child, as am I...so I don't realize what it must be like losing those you grew up with, loving and fighting with. Blessings my dear!

Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2011 :  4:25:17 PM  Show Profile
Patty...I had to laugh when I read your post this morning. I dreamed last night that I was pinning these wonderful things in the wrong boards. I was very frustrated. I could picture the whole scene, just like (on occasion) I have been playing "Bejeweled" from facebook in my dreams. Oh what to do. Yes I have started making a few cards, and I have the ingredients for some dips to make tomorrow. After Thanksgiving, I plan on making a few more things. With the ground all white, I must admit I have been looking at my board... "All Things Garden".

Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2011 :  4:53:06 PM  Show Profile
Thanks girls! You are so sweet! @>}-}-}--
Thanks Claudia...I could use a few "Virtual-Hugs"
Here's her address:

Evelena C. Jones
131 5th St NE #914
Canton, Oh 44702-1203

Love you all!

Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!

Edited by - herblady55 on Nov 19 2011 4:56:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2011 :  6:07:19 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

I am going to wait until the pigs are in the freezer before I try to get the guineas in their new house. They are eating out of the pig trough during the day so baiting them would do no good.

I have not found pigeons yet and thought I should try to wait until spring when it is warmer. I do have my rother looking to see if there is even anyone around who might have some. Then again maybe the catalogs we get for the chickens might list them..I have not made a big effort yet.

I thought poi was from a breadfruit. I am not sure what that even is maybe a tree that is native to the Pacific Islands. I did not know it was corn based. It was the only native dish I could think of except for coconut or pineapple. lol

Death is an interesting phenomenon. We all will do it at some time or other and no one really ever looks forward to it. Some people embrace it when the time comes and some people fight it tooth and nail. It is hard to think that one's brother might be embracing it. I do not know him at all but there must be some reason he seems to be choosing not to do surgery and radiation. If it were my brother and he does have his own health issues I would try to figure out a way to support his end of life journey and make it the best one he could have. These times are never easy.

When Darlys wrote that the flight would be non stop I thought where on that ocean is there a layover between the state of Hawaii and the mainland. I am glad you clarified I might have had to run to the globe to find nothing but ocean.

I am so envious of you who still have your mothers. Mine died when I was 19 and we still miss her a lot. She held the family together. She was creative and clever. She made us all want to be good and I do not know how she did it. she was an only child. My father said if your mother had been well there is no telling how many children she would have had. She birthed four of us. She had polycystic kidney disease and each pregnancy put more strain on her body. Each of us knows that we were wanted and loved even if each successive pregnancy caused her harm. My parents hoped that as time passed and technology improved her chance for an extended life would increase. They also hoped that technology would improve enough that even though the disease is genetic that the four of us would have long lives.

My grandmother was the last of 14. Some of them did not survive infancy but it must have been very hard on her to have survived everyone. She had a sister Mildred who was 14 years older than her who was important in all our lives. I think it must be a similar relationship to Judy's mama and her sister. Sad but no regrets. I will try to send off a card soon.

Today was mild and sunny most of the day. I was talking to people at the dump this morning and we are worried about not having enough snow and cold weather. Then again none of us are complaining and all of us are appreciating the gift of the mild fall.

Good night and sweet dreams to all.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2011 :  7:04:09 PM  Show Profile
Good evening lovely friends. I'm home from a nice day out with dear old friends and I am going back a few pages to see what posts I might have missed before. A few pages back, Chris commented on the high level predator as evidence of a healthy ecosystem. I don't know much about that but its good to hear, because I have huge red tailed hawks, some kind of large bird that has a high piercing screech like an eagle but is not a bald eagle, Lots of ordinary hawks, and occasionally an owl. I had a lot of problems with these birds scooping up my bantams when they were out of the pen, altho I have good cover (scrubby bushes) for them to get under, still lost some. I live near bat caves so at dusk I often see swarms of bats. Also there is a huge swarm of bees that swarms right over the house often and anything that blooms is always covered with bees. I live right behind Todd Mountain, which has been left natural and untouched since the days these hills belonged to the indians. I've only found one arrowhead on my place but the first district clerk of Mason Texas and his family were attacked by indians right here. The Searchers with John Wayne was (loosely) based on this story. The best thing for me living here has been the amazing number and variety of birds. I had 4 sightings of the painted bunting this summer. Each year there are fewer birds, less and less wildlife and it is sad to see. The large ranch next to me has just sold to developers and is being chopped up into 5 acre "ranchettes" and already when I look up the back of my property I see high line wires and poles and a huge house where there used to be only natural beauty. Then they decided to put up a fence so they bulldozed down a huge area to put up a fence. No reason to knock down trees just because they can. I have complained but falls on deaf ears i am afraid.

Chris, it is cool that you are a real artist, --I am a wannabe, never being able to settle into one medium long enough to become accomplished.

Darling Darlys, thank you for the most wonderful vacation. I have enjoyed every word of it.

Patty, how is Jake today? Hope your cold is better. The cold/flu season came early this year. One of my friends and her husband are getting over the flu and they got flu shots, so that's a little scary. My gosh, Patty, all the amazing things you have thought of to do for Christmas--you are an inspiration. I did see on Pinterest where they took a sheet and tore it into little strips and then crocheted a rug out of that. I think they may have dyed it as well before they crocheted it.
Debra e, I loved the pinecone angels--I like simple quick projects that I will actually finish.
Betty/desertwillow, I bet you are knee deep in sewing projects - hope you will post more pictures.
Nancy I also picked cover #2 I think because overall the colors were bright and cheerful. I think #2 will win. It's fun to have a vote.
Linda, hope you are hanging in there, we are thinking of you.

Thelma I am not doing Thanksgiving this year. I have signed off on doing the big family holiday meals. My daughter is going to do it and I think she has assigned the job to Luby's cafeteria.

Claudia I think i am up to about 2000 pins already, I can't seem to stop and now I am pretty sure I am repinning my own pins. I
haven't actually done anything creative but looking at all the creativity of others makes me feel more creative than I actually am.

Judy, I am so sorry for you and your mom losing someone so dear. Yes I would like to send her a card-I just saw you have posted the address. I have been thinking it might get my creative muse to show up for a visit if I tried to hand make some cards. Seems that darn muse has gone undercover again, maybe she's in Hawaii with Darlys. My mom is 89 and her sister is about 82, they are the only ones left also. My aunt is flamboyant. wears big texas hair, big texas jewelery, rings on every finger, cowboy boots, tons of makeup, she puts Dolly Parton to shame. Then there's my mom a little shy mousey thing who doesn't even know how to put on makeup. They are so adorable together, different as oil and water but so close, and talk on the phone hours every day. I dread the day when something happens to one of them, for it will surely take the other one soon after. I don't think they could live without each other, yet they quarrel like children.
My mom is getting pretty feeble minded, when she told me about my brother yesterday I don't think it even registered what is really happening. Probably a good thing, for it would be too hard for her. Thanks so much all of you for your prayers and your words of encouragement. My brother's name is John (Johnny) Johnson and he lives near Houston. He is going to MD Anderson and feels he is getting the best care possible. I talked with him this morning and it is not good. He said it is a "large mass" in his throat according to his doctors and he says they will have to give him some assurance that he would have some quality of life if he went through radiation and chemo which is what his doctors have recommended. That makes sense to me. He said he would have more info in a few days that they were still running tests but I don't know What other tests would they need once they have confirmed what it is and what needs to happen? He told me he has named me executor of his estate and apologised for the trouble it will put me to but my older brother is tied down with a very sick wife and I'm next in line. And, ya, he probably won't be able to quit smoking even with this. They say nicotine addiction is worse than crack cocaine.
Holly your post just came up - thank you for your wise words - I agree with you about life and death. We really don't have a good handle on death yet, even though it is a fact of life. An analogy I have heard and gives comfort is that we are not humans having a spiritual experience, we are spirits having a human experience, we would not go on a 2 week vacation and buy a house, a car, and settle in, we would just go and visit, do what we went to do, and go back home. That's maybe a better approach to life, but we come here and get so attached to it that we don't want to leave, even though we know our whole lives that is the plan. And I agree that my job is to support him in whatever his decision is. My biggest heartache is that he is completely alone and really I am the only person he will open up with at all. He also is a viet nam vet with issues.
Life is full of heartbreak so we must appreciate every little pleasure that we can get. Like adorable grandchildren with their funny, cute and sometimes "right on" comments.
Well, this is long enough. Love and hugs to all of you.

A big farmgirl hug from
Glenda #3534
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2011 :  7:16:23 PM  Show Profile
Glenda, thanks for Johnny's name. He is now on my prayer radar. Regardless of his decision, I pray that it will be easier for him than he may think. It is good that he has you to talk to. Blessings girl!

Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2011 :  7:29:06 PM  Show Profile
Judy - I am so sorry for your loss.

glenda - I am saddened to hear about your brother, Johnny. Of course I will pry for him and your families. I think cancer is the ugliest word in the English language, or any language for that matter.

I will post pictures of my quilts as soon. I don't want the gkids to see them when they are here for Thanksgiving meals. They are allowed to use my camera whenever they want. I just hit the delete button when they are no longer here. LOL

someone mentioned the spam capital. Are one of you gals from Austin, MN? I am not far from you. I sometimes shop in Albert Lea. Well I used to until they moved JoAnn Fabrics to Austin. Great quilt shop in Hayward.

Edited by - Thelma on Nov 19 2011 7:36:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2011 :  7:50:22 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

Life sure hands us trials and tribulations doesn't it? I'm sorry to hear of your Aunt passing Judy. It must be hard on everyone but especially your mama. I lost my stepmom earlier this year and I miss her. She was like a mama to me, mine having passed away in 1960. My husband has two sisters still alive. He's the youngest of nine and the sisters are the oldest, one 94 and the other 99. Quite a few of his siblings died as children.

Patty, I hadn't really planned on hatching chickens this late in the year as it gets cold here also but my friend wanted me to see if her incubator would work better for me. My mama hen is doing just fine with her two babies and they're growing. I think one is a rooster and the other a hen. If so, the hen is part silkie as it has feathers on it's feet. It's the same color as the other so I think they came from the same rooster but different hens. Time will tell I guess.

I am trying to take at least an hour a day to sew. I managed about an hour and a half today. I need to get the quilt done for my daughter because I have a few other things I'd like to get made in time for Christmas. If the weather is good I'm outside in the garden but if it's cold and windy then I work inside. There's a storm moving in tomorrow so I might not get outside to do more than wash out the chicken water containers and put out feed. They say snow levels will drop to pass levels so that would be about 4100 feet. We're at 2500 feet so we will only get rain if the storm tracks this way..Storm warnings are up so we'll see.

We have hubby's daughter, husband and three grown children coming for Thanksgiving. I have a turkey and a hamm and plan the usual fixings. Debbie is bringing the green bean casserole and a fruit salad. She'll help when she gets here also. So will the girls. The grandkids are in their 20's but still live at home due to the economy and work being slow.

Well, time for me to get off here and do something else. If the weather is all right in the morning we're going to put chicken wire around the new raised beds that will hold veggies next spring. It's the only way to keep out the rabbits. I hope everyone has a good weekend, what's left of it. Betty
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2011 :  05:22:02 AM  Show Profile
I am so sorry to hear about your aunt, Judy. I am sending a card to your mama. My prayers go out to you and your mother. My mother's mother died when she was 3 months old and my mother always missed having a mother. She was a wonderful mother herself and lived to be 93. I still miss her very much. I never had a sister but I always wanted one. I do have 2 wonderful sister-in-laws though.

I hope Jake and Logan are doing better and all the colds and flus are going away. I am seeing so many people with hankies and tissues blowing their noses all over town. One year when I got the flu shot I had the worst case of the flu I ever had. I hope that never happens again. I think I got it from my hubby. At least that is what I tell him.

Wow, Patty all that you have done with those presents for your family. How wonderful. You have inspired me and I have made my Christmas gifts this year and plan to do so from now on. I had more fun than I have had in years. I really don't like going out and buying things and those granddaughters have only wanted money for the last 3 years. I love all the things your have done. So creative!

I got up late today, for a change. Usually my cat is meowing like mad to go outside but today he was quiet until 6:45 so I slept until then.

Have to go. I did read what everyone wrote and I will try to get on late and write some more.

Hugs,

Nancy

Laughing is good exercise. It is like jogging on the inside.
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2011 :  06:38:14 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning Ladies! It is cold out this morning. Yesterday we had 78Degrees in the afternoon and by 5:00 it dropped to 50 and when I want to bed it was 32. This morning I opened the door and stuck my nose out and I closed it real quick. But for Thankgsgiving it's suppose to be high 60's. This weather this year is crazy. At least we haven't seen snow yet. Everyone try to keep warm. This afternoon I'm going to do more baby sewing. Yesterday I finished up 4 printed flannel burp pads. They really turned out so cute. I wish I knew how to post pics, I've been doing some cute things for our soon to be here grandson. Sending prayers for all that are dealing with the bad colds and the nasty flu. And Judy for your loss. Nancy I'm right there with you, I just do not like to get out in the crowds of people shopping. Everyone is so strong minded to get the shopping tasks over with, and if your in their way, well look out! I get more joy from crafting my gifts. But our family has cut out alot of the gift giving. We just enjoy sharing a wonderful meal and visit. Then the Grandkids drag out the games and we all play. Well need another cup of coffee, will check back later. Hugs, Brenda

http:///www.scatteredlittleblessings.blogspot.com

Seek reasons to Love..In every sigment of everyday-look for something that brings forth within you a feeling of Love-Abraham Hicks
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2011 :  09:18:27 AM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Hi All,
You know I love company but every weekend is a little to much for me right now. With my back hurting an trying to get all my swaps and barters and Christmas presents done, it's a little much. Had company just leave again and they will be back on Wed. night and staying till Sunday. I got to work hard between now and then to get caught up. I hate being behind on my barters...I am one that likes them out the next day. Oh well. So forgive me AGAIN for not commenting on everyones posts today. I have read them but just don't have time to sit and respond today. I am going to get my barters out tomorrow or Tuesday no matter what...I miss you all so much, hope to get back here before company comes in on Wed. My friend has even threatened to come back on Mon. or Tues before her Boyfriend can come on Wed evening...dang even though I told her I have alot to do...oh well I just have to get busy. I want to post a pic of my beagle Prissy...we have 8 bunks in the bunk room and she has claimed one of them for her own. I caught her under the covers with her head on the pillow this morning...too cute...I don't know if ya'll remember but Prissy came to live with us in May. She showed up the day we were leaving for Bike week in Myrtle Beach. I saw her on the porch that morning but she ran off. The young man that was taking care of our animals called to say she was still here so we told her just feed her too...well she never left and we couldn't find the owners...she is a rabbit hunting dog. So now she is part of the family and one of the most wonderful pups ever.

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...

http://ourgeorgiafarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2011 :  09:24:19 AM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Judy, I forgot to say I'm sorry to hear about your Aunt, you are in my prayers, girlfriend
Glenda, sorry to hear also about your brother, praying for you too...

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...

http://ourgeorgiafarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2011 :  09:32:27 AM  Show Profile
Morning everyone! We are having crazy warm weather but with lots of wind. One good thing, most of or leaves are blown away. We haven't had a chance to rake yet. Like many of you, my back went out a couple of weeks ago, and it's taking it's good ole time coming back....kinda like when you let the Tomcat out! heehee
I talked to Ma this morning and she sounds pretty down, but I did get her to giggle a little. (that's my gift I guess) You want to hear a strange thing? In W.Va. where my Aunt lives, digging the grave doesn't come with the funeral pkg.(or are they not telling that they picked out the cheapest pkg) hmmmm..... They have to find someone to help them do that. WHAAAAAA??? What is this...the Old West??? That's crazy! So they are having trouble finding neighbors to help! Ok...THAT just staggers the mind!
That's about it for me today. Thank you again "Buds", for stepping in and sending Ma some cards. She will be beside herself with JOY!!
God Bless You!!
EXTRA French-Hugs and TIGHTER Squeezles for ya'll!

Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2011 :  09:41:04 AM  Show Profile
Hi Penny, you were posting when I was. *giggle* Funny how that happens a lot.
Thanks for the (hug)....I felt it and will share it with my Mama!
GIRLIE....you need to put your foot down with these people who are invading your space and, "JUST SAY NO!!!" It seems to me that they aren't being very courteous! ....or PUT THEM to work!I don't want any of yuns to have nervous breakdowns during the Holidays! That's NOT what they're for or about! *rushrushrush/crazycrazycrazy* NONONO!!!
Ok...done raving! *straightens clothes-smoothes hair-chin in the air*

Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!

Edited by - herblady55 on Nov 20 2011 3:20:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2011 :  10:22:47 AM  Show Profile
Hello dear friends, I think it goes without saying that there are enough of us posting here that it isn't possible to respond to everything, so let's just take the thought for the deed and know we are all here for each other. I know all of you are sending good thoughts, positive vibes, and prayers for me and my family and please know I am doing the same for all of you.

I will only comment on one post now--Sisterchick Penny, when we first moved out here to a big house on the hill it turned into everyone's free bed and breakfast weekend. I won't bore you with the details, but I finally got enough. Now, "would love to have you but I'm not up to it right now, so sorry, hope you understand, bye,bye" just flows right out of my mouth with no problem. No invitation, no show.

A big farmgirl hug from
Glenda #3534

Edited by - doll58maker on Nov 20 2011 4:30:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2011 :  11:03:44 AM  Show Profile
WOW! I think I just opened a can of worms! BUT....
...good for you Glenda! I'm glad you stood up for yourself.
There's a country song....hmmmmm....*thinkthink*..."You have to stand for something, or you'll fall for anything!" I liked that song the moment I first heard it. I feel we need more backbone sometimes! We lose ourselves bending over backwards for everyone else!...Amen?

......OK!.....*scooping worms back into can*.....

Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2011 :  1:34:22 PM  Show Profile
We are getting closer and closer to the "official" day to give thanks. Isn't that funny? We need a special day.Is it really the day that the Pilgrims got together with the Indian natives to have maise and other vegetables, venison...and whatever they had? Canada's Thanksgiving Day is in October. Our's in November. Thanksgiving Day marks an event of a feeling we should have everyday. I am thankful (well not always...nor do I remember always) to give thanks. With the snow outside, I'm warm in the house. I am far richer than others in that I was able to buy a turkey and the fixin's at the store about a mile away. My daughter and her family flew in from Tampa last night and they will be here later this afternoon. I'm fortunate. My Mom is still around to talk to everyday, and share her Irish wit. We have 4 generations, that sign Nikki's huge brown tablecloth every Thanksgiving for what we are thankful. However, there is one thing that always dampens the spirits of my Mom and me. 1984 was the last Thanksgiving that I saw my Dad. For the very next day, he was hunting for that deer to fill my freezer (I had been divorced 1 year), when walking back to his truck during a driving snow storm he had a massive coronary and died alone. I am sure the Lord was with him, but non the less..no one to remind him of how much I loved him. He was on our farm when he died, and my Mom and Dad's hunting partner searched but could not find him being quickly covered in a blanket of snow. The state patrol was summoned and they found him with their search light. It has been 27 yrs on the 23rd, & I realize that on Thanksgiving, although not with us physically, he is with my Mom & me in a special way. Nikki and Joel were 13 and 10 at the time, and their recollections of Papa were not as deep. So every Thanksgiving, I am thankful...especially for my Father that God chose the very best Dad I could have, & I wish I could tell him just one more time of my love.

Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2011 :  3:28:12 PM  Show Profile
....oh Claudia....*sniff*....what a beautiful story! I love telling my Mama that I love her,EVERY day!...I'm sure that you do too! And I'd give anything to say it to my Daddy again!

Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
Go to Top of Page

Clumboy
True Blue Farmgirl

62 Posts

Chris
Walkerton IN
USA
62 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2011 :  3:54:27 PM  Show Profile
claudia--bless your heart--and your dad's. he IS with you still.
judy--i will send a card to your mom. i am new to the list, but you can never have enough "thinking of you" reminders. i will pray for her comfort, and yours.
oh my gosh--i am constantly amazed by what i read here--the phenomenal recycled Christmas, Prissy the little sweetheart, everyone with their busy lives. i am still struggling with names, so forgive me if i can't enumerate all the thoughts i think while i read your posts.
because it stuck in my mind (probably because it pertained to something i said before) i wanted to comment on glenda's post. high level predators are a sign of a functioning ecosystem because the energy has to work its way through many layers to make it up to them. there have to be plants for the bugs to eat, birds and small mammals to eat the bugs and seeds, and predators to eat the birds and small mammals. if the chain is broken low down, there won't be any "higher ups". on this subject i would like to recommend an amazing book i am reading called "bringing nature home". i haven't finished it yet, but i have to say my ornamental gardens will begin to look different starting next year. part of the loss of diversity (fewer birds etc) is from habitat loss due to development, but a very significant part of the equation is also what we plant in our yards. many exotic ornamentals (and by exotic i just mean not native plants) are not usuable sources of food for our native insects and higher animals. we can have a garden full to the brim with beautiful flowers, but as a habitat for wildlife it can be almost sterile. our constant search for "pest free" plants contributes to this. if you are an ornamental gardener i strongly urge you to hunt for this book--amazon used probably has some copies. its a very important message.
okay--don't mean to get on a soapbox or hijack the thread--just a recommendation for some winter reading!
as an aside--sore backs must be epidemic lately. i had to lift shambles up today (she is a hefty girl at about 65 pounds) and did a major number on mine. all i can say right now is thanks to DH for going to the store and getting me some aleve.
have a lovely night everyone! chris

not a boy--long story
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 218 **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Farmgirls over age 50 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page