desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2011 :  09:39:51 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Terri, I have a son and daughter in NC. They live in Jacksonville. I lived there for many years and go back to visit every other year. The other year we visit DH's family in KS It's another glorious day in the high desert. I can't believe this weather for January. It made 70 yesterday and no doubt it will be the same today. I worry about my trees and plants since they're leafing out and I know old man winter is still going to rear his angry head again soon. It gets down close to freezing at night but so nice during the day. I know so many of you are having cold,cold weather. Well, I'm off to work and when I come home I need to finish a quilt project I'm working on for a swap due the first of March. I have a quilt class coming up in February so want to clear my sewing table before then. Have a good day everyone....
Go to Top of Page

Bensgrandma
True Blue Farmgirl

227 Posts

Alexis
White Oak PA
USA
227 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2011 :  10:44:19 AM  Show Profile
I will be 61 this year! Getting older just really is a number. My dad used to say he was surprised to see an old person looking back at him in the mirror and I feel the same way.

Hurrah for the old ladies!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/HugsandStitches
Go to Top of Page

dnelson252
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Debra
Western PA...home of the STEELERS!! The Keystone State
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2011 :  10:56:35 AM  Show Profile
Hey Alexis,
LOL!!!...I know what your dad meant! I'll walk past the mirror and think "OMG Dad's back...oh...no...it's just me!" :) I look more like my dad every year...thank GOODNESS I have more hair! (At least for now!!) How 'bout them Steelers...oh, I can't wait to put some holes in the Wisconsin cheeses!! Have a great day...Debbie (from Butler, PA...small world.)

Please Lord, give me patience....and give it to me NOW!!! Farmgirl #2116
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2011 :  1:05:26 PM  Show Profile
Betty Congrat's on your driving test! I know your glad to get that over with!! Hugs, Brenda

http:///www.scatteredlittleblessings.blogspot.com

Seek reasons to Love..In every sigment of everyday-look for something that brings forth within you a feeling of Love-Abraham Hicks
Go to Top of Page

alpacagirl
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Nita
Muskogee Oklahoma
USA
8 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2011 :  5:55:57 PM  Show Profile
Linda, thanks for that quote. I have heard it before and still believe it. God has brought me into a new house on 40 acres and I am committed to pay for it for the next 30 years. Yikes!!!! I have been asked why my husband and I would do this. Don't think I have not wondered about it too. LOL.
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2011 :  7:12:29 PM  Show Profile
Welcome back Kristy and welcome Terri & Alexis! Glad to add some more ornery "wiser" Women to our bunch! I was sorry to hear about your husband Kristy! But I'm so glad that you are a spunky gal who's persuing her interests. Good for you! It's nice to have friends who will come and help you when you need help too.
Terri, my Sister and Br-in-law live in Franklin NC. They love it there in the Mts. I love visiting there too. So many gorgeous water falls and rivers.
Betty....Yeaaaaa...good for you. So happy for you. And, yes, In 5 more years we all will be....Accckkk! What??? LOL...let's not think about our ages then. hahaha
DH and I took Mom with us today out to eat and to shop a little. It was almost 40 today. What a difference from our previous temps. Had to enjoy it while we could. It was a great day. Later this week it's suppose to drop back down and snow some more....here we go again! ;)
Have a good night girls.

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
"Why couldn't I have been born Rich instead of So Good Looking?"
Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2011 :  7:31:12 PM  Show Profile
I saw NC mentioned above. I lived in NC for many years and have a daughter and her family that live in Jacksonville. I go back and visit whenever I can. I loved living there but my life took a turn and I ended up here in CA.
Go to Top of Page

eggfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

253 Posts

Kristy
Melvern KS
USA
253 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2011 :  8:27:22 PM  Show Profile
Hello girls ! Betty congrats on renewing your liscense. I had to give mine up several years ago due to my disabilites. But I am thinking now about getting a new vehicle and having it set up with hand controls. Scares me thinking about the testing though ! lol !! Onr thing at a time Kristy ! lol !

Oh.. sorry...forgot who said they have family in Kansas ! Thats my neck of the woods. Have to wave next time you are out my way .

I am having such a good time with my on line art courses. I have found and been lead to some amazing artists that are really making this fun. My UPS guy loves me...between the packages of art supplies,books and things I ordered for my church, I have seen him 3 days last week and two this week ! He just laughs and says he can't wait to see what I am up to ! lol !! Told him I was building a better mouse trap...unfortunately he can read labels that say... art supplies ! lol !! Teased him and said I was painting a mouse condo ! lol !! We have known each other for years so he always checks on me to see how I am doing, after he teases me! lol !!

Well ladies I am off to get ready for bed. Walk up my furbabies so they can go out in the snow to do their business one more time.

Til then ladies....

Hugs...Kristy
"Live like you were dyin'"
Sis #2339
Scattered Prairie Gals Chapter
http://www.myhealingthroughartstory.blogspot.com
My studio Blog- http://www.lostcreekstudio.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2011 :  9:04:31 PM  Show Profile
Hey Kristy, That was me that mentioned Kansas. We go back every year to see my DH's 90+ sisters and his children and grandchildren. We won't have the sisters for too many more years so we see them as often as we can. The oldest will be 99 this year. They're up near KC but Art was born in Paola and has a son in Emporia, a daughter in Wichita and one in Newton. It will probably be June this year when we go back since I have a granddaughter going in the army and she'll graduate from basic sometime in June. She'll be going to Ft. Leonardwood. I think that's the right spelling. It's getting close to my bedtime also so will say goodnight to you all. Betty
Go to Top of Page

eggfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

253 Posts

Kristy
Melvern KS
USA
253 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2011 :  8:42:13 PM  Show Profile
Oh Betty... that is so wild. My daughter lives really close to Paola,my son close to Wichita and Emporia is where I shop ! lol ! If you have been down I35 to Emporia from Paola..you might remember Beto Junction...Where 35 and 75 cross... I am just 6 miles or some from there !! Next time you are driving through give me a shout out ! Would love to meet you somewhere along the way !! How small is this world ? lol !!

Hugs...Kristy
Sis #2339
Go to Top of Page

eggfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

253 Posts

Kristy
Melvern KS
USA
253 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2011 :  8:43:26 PM  Show Profile
Oh PS... and my mother was born and raised near Newton !!! lol !! Too funny !!

Hugs...Kristy
Sis #2339
Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2011 :  11:55:03 PM  Show Profile
Talk about a small world....and yes we've been down I35 from Paola to Emporia. It's the way we always go. My DH taught school in that area for years.. Next time we go back I'll let you know and we can meet. Another small world.....a recipe exchange started in England and came to me and I sent out a recipe and received recipes in exchange. I received one whose e-mail address mentioned quilting in it so I e-mailed her. She e-mailed back mentioning what she's made and that she's a member of a churches quilting group. I e-mailed back and asked if by some chance she lived in NC which she did and it turns out her and my daughter attend the same church and belong to the same quilting group. Today my husband and I took off for a drive up north about 60 miles so he could go to a rock shop for supplies he can't get here. The gal that waited on us asked if I was English and when I said yes she said her dad was born in Manchester and I was born about 8 miles away. We had a nice chat while waiting for my husband to decide what he wanted. It was a lovely drive although windy in places where there were canyons but it was still warm. There was more snow up north but not as much as usual. MT. Whitney is there at Lone Pine and even at over 14,400 feet the snow wasn't all that heavy. Well, I'm off to bed. Tomorrow and Friday will be busy. Friday is installation of officers at the Masonic Lodge and DH will be installed. It's a formal affair (yuk) and we have to help set up tables and decorate tomorrow and then help with dinner Friday. I have to have my hair done Friday, help with dinner, come home, shower and get into a formal and drive back for the installation and dinner. Saturday on my birthday I plan on doing absolutely nothing that can't be done from my chair with my feet up. I feel ancient. I'll be 71 on Saturday. Goodnight all.
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2011 :  03:10:30 AM  Show Profile
Hey Betty, I'll be 56 on Wednesday, Groundhog Day. Yes I am a groundhog and proud of it! LOL It's great being a groundhog...you can quit shaving your legs, groundhogs are spose to have hairy legs...if you are grumpy, that's expected too...and we are expected to sleep allllll winter...I can deal with that! The part that gets harder every year is forcasting the weather. Not even the dopler weather can get it right...how am I spose to!!!/??? ROFL
Isn't it funny how small of a world it really is. So glad you had a chance to chat with and hook-up with a few. Good for you!

Judy
Hugs&Squeezles!
Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2011 :  5:34:04 PM  Show Profile
I love these small worlds...there are so many interesting people.
Go to Top of Page

cabinlil
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

carol
livingston montana
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2011 :  5:10:19 PM  Show Profile
Hello, my name is Carol and I am posting my first message on the Farmgirl forums. I am 61 years old and enjoying every minute of it. Ummmm... okay there might be a minute or two that is questionable. I live in Livingston Montana and enjoy knitting, sewing, hiking, walking, hunting, and spending time with my hubby, dog and cat. Just signed up for Social Security a few days ago-good grief! where has the time gone? I stay fit by doing yoga, lots of walks and have just started working out with a Kettle Bell. It does take a bit more effort as we age, but well worth it. I do realize that I have been very lucky or fortunate to be in good health because not everyone has that. Looking forward to "meeting" all of you-young and old.

cabinlil.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Daizy
True Blue Farmgirl

992 Posts

Daizy
Talladega Alabama
USA
992 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2011 :  5:39:55 PM  Show Profile
Hay Ya'll

WOO HOOO I have another new SISTER! Good to meet you Carol. Your gonna love it here...these girls are great and so unique. It sounds like you have a bunch of thing to do during you SS years so have fun and look around on this MJF site..Post to abunch of threads and meet bunches of us. Love and Prayers, Daizy

P.S. I hunt too and love it. Its great getting out in nature and its great harvesting my own meat for the freezer. Keep your ammo dry. C U

PHR Farmgirl #1093
A good day is when you find ALL your ear tags! I wonder how my cows would like my Farmgirl apron??
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2011 :  6:08:19 PM  Show Profile
Hey Carol. My name is Claudia and I am a couple of states over west of Glacier Nat. Park. It's been awhile since I've been to your area. Love Glacier. Most of our trips have headed south through Butte to Billings etc. I know that you will thoroughly enjoy the FarmGirls and when you check out the various threads and just read, I know you will have a lot to offer. Good to have you aboard.

Hugs and Blessings

Buffypuff/ Claudia ~ Farmgirl & Sister #870 ~
"It compliments God to ask great things of Him." ~ St. Theresa of Avila

Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2011 :  7:34:39 PM  Show Profile
It's good to see that other people are joining in. Thanks for the birthday greeting Judy. Wow! 71 but blessed with good health. I love my gardening and caring for my birds and chickens. The desert is good for clean air. The wind blows so much it can't get polluted LOL! I'm curious to see what this year brings. From what I'm hearing from family it should be a busy one with some traveling involved. Good night all.......
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2011 :  07:20:39 AM  Show Profile
HEllo, hello....so, Betty, what did you end up doing on your Birthday? Did you stay in your chair with your feet up? We're spose to have a snow/ice storm on mine. Every year this happens, and every year I tell myself to change my Birthday to June 2nd....just so I can have a party.....or at LEAST be able to go out somewhere. LOLOL What I'd really like to do some year is go to Punxetawny for a few days and celebrate with the real Groundhog and all of those crazy people who bundle up and just enjoy the festivities. Hey, if it's going to be cold and nasty, why not enjoy it with other folk who are making the best of it?/! LOL
Hi Ya Carol. Glad to have you here with us. I just started back on yoga too. I really like how I feel after. No matter if you are stiff, cold or achy...you just feel so much better after. Of course I cheat, if there is such a thing, and I use "Yoga for the rest of us" by Peggy Cappy. She teaches yoga at retirement facilities to seniors. We use a chair instead of stretching all the way down to the floor. It works for me since i have a weak lower lumbar. She said that you get as much of a work-out as if you did go all the way to the floor. It's an amazing work-out. I've been blessed with good genes and good health too. Nobody believes I'll be 56 Weds. LOL What's a kettle-bell? I've not heard of that?

Judy
Hugs&Squeezles!
Go to Top of Page

cabinlil
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

carol
livingston montana
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2011 :  7:03:11 PM  Show Profile
Thank you for all the welcome greetings. Judy, a kettle bell is kind of like dumbells only instead of 2 you just use 1. They come in different weights (I use a 10#). Hmmm... hard for me to describe - a small heavy ball with a handle. Anyway, they sell them at Target among other places. I found out about it in Prevention magazine a few months ago. It can be quite a workout, but lots of fun too. I will admit that the first time I worked out with it I wasn't so sure about it.
Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2011 :  8:40:42 PM  Show Profile
Hello...I pretty much did stay off my feet on my birthday. I was on my feet the day before from 11am to 10pm getting ready for the installation dinner at the Masonic Lodge and the installation itself. I did cut out some fabric for the quilt I'm working on and some laundry but I had a quiet day alone. I had fabulous birthday greetings from family and friends, both cards, phone calls and e-mails so all in all it was a good day. My finches had two babies fledge out that day but they're too young yet to tell if they're male or female. Our weather isn't too bad but not as warm as last week and we had wind all day Sunday and part of today.
Go to Top of Page

Daizy
True Blue Farmgirl

992 Posts

Daizy
Talladega Alabama
USA
992 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2011 :  9:29:18 PM  Show Profile
Hay Ya'll

A day or two late but Happy Birthday Sister Betty. I don't know about you but, for me, they seem to get here faster every year. I'm glad you got to rest and do what YOU wanted to do on your special day. May your year be a Blessed one and you have the love of family and friends through out the year. Happy Birthday!!!

Love and Prayers,
Your SISTER, Daizy

PHR Farmgirl #1093
A good day is when you find ALL your ear tags! I wonder how my cows would like my Farmgirl apron??
Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2011 :  09:07:38 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Daizy for the birthday wishes. Yes, they seem to get closer and closer together. I'm hoping for a good year. Both my husband and I are blessed with good health and pray it continues. This year will be a busy one if we get to do what we want to do. That will of course depend on finances, weather, etc. May we need to be in San Diego for a Warden's retreat and Sep. he wants to be in San Francisco for a Grand Lodge. If my grand daughter goes into the army when planned we'll want to go to KS for her graduation from Basic and visit hubby's two 90+ year old sisters and all his family back there and then in Oct. one of my grand daughters is getting married in NC and I would like to make go to that. we'd have to fly there but the other trips we'd drive, even to KS. We will just have to plan ahead and save money for the big trips. The Lodge will pay for half of the other trips. I hope all of you have a good day. It's not windy here and the weather people are predicting high winds south of us. They might miss us completely but I'm watching that big storm some of you are going to experience since my daughter and her hubby from WA are flying to Ft. Benning, GA for their sons graduation from basic. I just checked the weather in Denver where they should be now on layover for 3 hours and it's -5 right now but no snow. That's the only change they have to make. The same coming home on Friday. Bye for now, Betty
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2011 :  1:05:05 PM  Show Profile
Awwwww.....betty, baby finches. I had a pair of finches years ago and they had 1 baby. It was such a butter-ball, and pure white. I love they sound they make. I still go into our neighborhood pet shop and talk to the finches and get them all going at once. It's so much fun. I'm glad you had a great Birthday. I'm already seeing & hearing "Groundhog" articles in the paper and on radio. I love it. WOW! you do have a busy year palnned Betty. Good health to you Lady.
We awoke to 1/2 inch of ice on trees and power lines this morning. But the streets looked like they had at least a couple in inches on them. They say that is the first third of the storm. More this evening and thru the night. Then more tomorrow. May God keep us all safe and secure! Amen!!

Judy
Hugs&Squeezles!
Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2011 :  2:30:05 PM  Show Profile
I think the ice is more dangerous than snow. I remember the ice storms we used to have in NC and SC when I lived there. It was beautiful but deadly. I pray for the safety of everyone that is in the path of this monstrous storm. Betty
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 218 **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Farmgirls over age 50 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page