herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2010 :  12:50:13 PM  Show Profile
Has anyone heard of or tried Banana Ketchup? I just found a recipe for it and wonder what you'd even eat it with. It has raisins, onions, garlic, tomato paste, vinegar, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, cloves, plus the usual ketchup ingredients AND even rum. I'm curious!
hmmmmm....anybody

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2010 :  3:27:50 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
eww!! Sorry but that sounds gross.
Hugs,
Hannah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Lifes not about the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away.

Just a small town country girl, farmgirl,loggergirl, trying to live her dreams. :)

P.s. I've been playing around with the spelling of my name ( weird I know) and I've decided that I will stick with Hannah for good. Sorry I got you all confused. Hugs!!
Go to Top of Page

delicia
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

delicia
cincinnati ohio
USA
917 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2010 :  3:40:29 PM  Show Profile
I who will eat most anything would not be touching this stuff...
Go to Top of Page

debbies journey
True Blue Farmgirl

635 Posts

debbie
anchorage ak
USA
635 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2010 :  11:40:59 PM  Show Profile
It almost sounds like a chutney, so maybe with meat?
Debbie
Go to Top of Page

star-schipp
True Blue Farmgirl

942 Posts

Starletta
Middletown Indiana
USA
942 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2010 :  04:48:41 AM  Show Profile
Well, I looked it up because I had never heard of it.....sounds like it is a condiment from the Philippines. Some people eat it with fried foods or with pork or chicken. One person said he uses it as a base for his spagetti sauce. I think I'll let you try it first and let me know what you think.....(can you hear that I'm being a big chicken?)

We can do no great things; only small things with great love - Mother Teresa

Star - farmgirl sister #1927

Master Food Preserver
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2010 :  08:03:10 AM  Show Profile
All I can think of is, "Things that make you go, 'hmmmm...'" It's different, but I'm thinking it could be good... Sounds like something you'd try while on vacation in the tropics... It sounds a little gross, too, but it might not be bad... If you try it and like it, Judy, maybe we will, too; so please let us know! My son would probably faint cold flat out on the floor, but the only thing my DH refuses to eat is coleslaw (even threw it up on a Nun's shoes in parochial school when she made him eat it!)... I think I'd enjoy seeing his reaction to this one! };) Yeah... good times... Please be sure to let us know... Heh heh heh... - Nini

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Edited by - Ninibini on Dec 18 2010 08:04:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2010 :  08:12:30 AM  Show Profile
I read where it said you could actually taste the banana, so, ya, banana and tomatoes...hmmmmm.....I'm kind of leaning toward a chutney flavor too. I didn't think I'd like mango chutney with tilapia, but I love it. Who knows, THIS just may be the next fish condiment. I may get brave after the Holidays are over and I'm bored and looking for something new to do/make. LOL..... I'm talking Reeeeaally bored! LOL

Judy
Hugs&Squeezles!
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2010 :  08:23:03 AM  Show Profile
Heh heh heh... The more I think about it, the more I am willing to be the guinea pig here... heh heh heh... the guys have been giving me a little bit of a rough time, lately... I'm willing to get THEIR opinion for you all... heh heh heh... When you have a second, will you please post the link to the recipe, Judy? heh heh heh... Yeeeeessss... GOOOOOOOD times.... Thanks! - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

Marcia30
True Blue Farmgirl

159 Posts

Marcia
Mt. Carmel IL
USA
159 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2010 :  08:47:33 AM  Show Profile
That sounds gross. There is no way i would try that. Although...... now that i think about it i did eat bananas and olive together and it was awsome. So.... maybe????? ya never knowLOLOLOLOL

Snowed in with nothing to do but bake! I am gonna get soooo faaaaattt. LOLOLOLOLO
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2010 :  08:48:28 AM  Show Profile
Allriiiiight....we have a taker....yeaaaaa!!! LOLOL All I did was Google banana ketchup and picked the first site that said recipe. And I just read it. Sorry, don't remember any more than that. :(

Judy
Hugs&Squeezles!
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2010 :  09:55:10 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Let me know if one of you tries it. :) I just can't bring myself too. LOL
Hugs,
Hannah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Lifes not about the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away.

Just a small town country girl, farmgirl,loggergirl, trying to live her dreams. :)

P.s. I've been playing around with the spelling of my name ( weird I know) and I've decided that I will stick with Hannah for good. Sorry I got you all confused. Hugs!!
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2010 :  1:18:20 PM  Show Profile
Here's one... http://homecooking.about.com/od/condimentrecipes/r/blcon77.htm

I am tapping my fingertips together, leaning back in my chair with a big grin and squinty eyes, nodding.... "Eeeeexcellent!"

One more tap dance on my highly strung last nerve and it's going on the dinner table tonight! LOL!!!

Heh...heh...heh...

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22896 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22896 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2010 :  3:06:29 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh my gosh, Nini! You are so funny! I can't wait to hear the results!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2010 :  3:55:18 PM  Show Profile
Oh Nini! You are a hoot. I want to hear the results. You have me wanting to be brave too. I mean, if I can do sauerkraut, surely I can handle a little thing like Banana ketchup! Eeww. Gonna have to think up another name for that if it turns out that you think it is good!!

BTW, your package is on the way or maybe it got there already?? :-)

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com

The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2010 :  3:58:59 PM  Show Profile
I just found this on WikiPedia. Kinda interesting.

"Banana ketchup or banana sauce is a popular Filipino condiment made from mashed banana, sugar, vinegar, and spices. Its natural color is brownish, so it is often dyed red to resemble tomato ketchup. Banana ketchup was made when there was a shortage of tomato ketchup during World War II, due to lack of tomatoes and a comparatively high production of bananas. In the Caribbean, the company Baron Foods Limited manufactures a banana ketchup which is yellow in keeping with the color perception associated with bananas. Baron Foods Grenada facility also makes a variant referred to as "Nutmeg" Banana Ketchup which is a combination of the exotic flavor of nutmegs and the typical banana ketchup flavor.

Banana ketchup is sweeter than tomato ketchup and is similar in taste to the Indonesian Kecap manis and the Thai sweet chili sauce. In Filipino households, this ubiquitous condiment is used on just about any dish - omelettes (torta), hot dogs, burgers, fries, fish and other meats. Banana ketchup is also a vital and distinct ingredient in Filipino-style spaghetti (sweeter than the traditional Italian spaghetti).

It is exported to countries where there is a considerable Filipino population (United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Hong Kong, France, Switzerland, Australia and New Zealand).

Filipino food technologist Maria Y. Orosa (1893–1945) is credited with inventing a banana ketchup recipe.

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com

The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2010 :  4:48:15 PM  Show Profile
Hey Nini...that's the exact recipe I have. You go girl. You cracked me up with that "Tap-dancing on your last nerve comment. LOLOL

Judy
Hugs&Squeezles!
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Banana what???? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page