Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Family Matters
 A Wedding in the Family!!! Yay!!! PICTURES!.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Family Matters: Previous Topic A Wedding in the Family!!! Yay!!! PICTURES!. Next Topic  

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2010 :  5:22:56 PM  Show Profile
We received wonderful news, girls! I just have to share!!! Our foster son and daughter are making it official - they're getting married - NEXT WEEKEND! YAY! They've called the church, the marriage license will be ready next Monday and the wedding will be next Friday - New Year's Eve! I'm so excited for them - SO, so happy! She asked my husband to give her away, which, of course, made me tear up. He giggled, then said, "Well, heck, of COURSE! I've been trying to give her away for YEARS!" which just made her bubble over into uncontrollable laughter, too. They've got a special bond, they truly do! And she has asked me to stand up for her as Matron of Honor, too! I couldn't have received a better Christmas gift, I'm telling you! Cheers, bells and whistles! A celebration is afoot!

We just got off the phone and have discussed the plans. Everything will be very simple, but very pretty, and deeply meaningful. Our former pastor will be officiating, one of our dearest friends will be performing the music, and everyone they love will be invited to share in a very intimate ceremony. She's going to be carrying a bouquet of fresh seasonal flowers down the aisle, and I'll be making boutonnieres for the groom and his best man - his brother, as well as corsages for each of their mothers. Our son and their eldest will be taking pictures and videos, while their two little ones will surely be keeping the Grandmas busy in the pews! There's going to have a small dinner afterwards at the church for close family and friends, and it's going to be all good old-fashioned home cooking we'll be preparing ourselves that day! This is just going to be such a perfectly warm and joyful family celebration!

The only thing she's really not sure about is the wedding cake. She just wants something simple, and I'm happy to make it for them, but I've never done a wedding cake before. Do any of you have suggestions? There will only be 20 - 25 people, so it doesn't have to be large... and she's not worried about having a top piece to save til their anniversary. She said that they'd probably eat it anyway, just like we did - on our honeymoon! LOL!

Also, since the reception will be in the church hall, the probably won't have a champagne toast... do you have any suggestions for a memorable non-alcoholic toasting beverage?

Oh! My heart is just so full... This wedding has been such a long time coming, I can't even begin to tell you. What started as a friendship 13 years ago has blossomed into a deep, abiding love. And to be celebrating on New Year's Eve before God, surrounded by everyone they love - what a wonderful way to begin their new life together and kick of an exciting New Year! Life is good... Life is good!

Big smiles - Nini

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Edited by - Ninibini on Jan 06 2011 9:24:51 PM

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2010 :  6:19:56 PM  Show Profile
YAY! Nini!!!!! I love weddings! What a beautiful story they must have =)
I don't know about cakes...I'd probably just make a bunch of cheese cakes! LOL!
I'm so happy for them! And you!!!For a punch, how about ginger-ale and cranberry juice! Very seasonal and festive !

BIG hugs!!!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Palouse Prairie Girls Chapter
http://palouseprairiegirls.blogspot.com/
http://prairiegirlsjournal.blogspot.com/

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2010 :  7:17:10 PM  Show Profile
I had a friend who makes wedding cakes for a living, and she says her biggest secret is to freeze the cake and frost it while it's frozen. It is easiler to handle and makes the cake ssuper moist. You could do that the day before, and even serve matching cupcakes if there will be children. When we want somrthing bubbly, we mix orange juice and 7up and enjjoy that.
Good luck you you, and many many blessings to the new couple, Carol

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting them in a fruit salad!
Farmgirl #680!
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2010 :  03:48:33 AM  Show Profile
So happy for you and them! Weddings always give me hope for the future. I saw a wedding that had really fancy cupcakes stacked on a tier server, very pretty. Sparkling white grape or apple juice is very festive too.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

Happy to be a "Raggedy Ann" in a Barbie World!

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2010 :  06:03:34 AM  Show Profile
yipee for the family. pics please happy days sherye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

SherBear
True Blue Farmgirl

77 Posts

Sherri
Mukwonago Wi
USA
77 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2010 :  9:17:43 PM  Show Profile
There are some really good and simple punch recipes too- most of them give you the option of adding some kind of white soda or champagne, so either way it would have the bubbles for a little bit of kick.

As for the cake, you could get together and make a round 9" cake for each table, that way you won't have to try to stack the big, fancy wedding cake, and the people at each table can serve themselves. You could also decorate it to the degree of 'fancy' that she wants, from just plain frosting to some frosting/sugar flowers, etc. I went to a wedding that did this and it was nice- we all got to eat our cake at the same time, instead of waiting for it to be cut. Cupcakes would also be a great idea.
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2010 :  9:40:27 PM  Show Profile
You all have such great ideas! Thank you!!! I knew I could count on my farmgirl sisters! I can't wait to share them with my foster daughter tomorrow and see what she says! YAY!!! You're the best! - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

njaw09
True Blue Farmgirl

397 Posts

Annie
NJ
USA
397 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2010 :  12:35:57 PM  Show Profile
What a wonderful news Nini. I love weddings. Can't wait to see pictures also. Congratulation to your foster son and daughter.
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2010 :  2:02:04 PM  Show Profile
The only thing more exciting than our own wedding is those of our children! Congratulations to the couple and to the happy people sharing there wonderful day. Do what you can for the wedding meal the day before. There's always things that take more time than you dreamed possible. A friend's daughter made her own wedding cake the day before the ceremony and it was way too much stress on all involved, but I love the idea of making the cake ahead and freezing it before frosting. Just be sure to leave enough thaw time.
Love that starts as freindship has what it takes to stand the test of time.
Susan

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"
Mary Oliver

Edited by - Cindy Lou on Dec 29 2010 2:02:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2010 :  10:12:27 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the congratulations and for celebrating with me girls! We're quickly coming down to the wire, that's for sure!

We almost went the cupcake route, but one of my close, talented friends offered to do the cake as their wedding gift - how great is that? I'm baking the cake rounds for the three-tiered cake tomorrow, and a my friend will be over decorating it on Friday here at the house while my foster daughter and I cook our little hearts off. There are only going to be 20 - 30 guests (depending upon which guests bring kids), so it really won't be that difficult. We're doing ham - her favorite - seven-layer salad, roasted potatoes, and green bean casserole (made with home made cream of mushroom soup, made by her soon-to-be brother-in-law!), and one of her good friends is making homemade macaroni and cheese - all of their favorites!

I'm also doing the flowers. She wanted very simple and preferred silks, so it should be fairly easy. :) We found everything on clearance, which was AWESOME. My foster son chose the colors - he loves purple (which always has been one of my favorites, too), so he bought a beautiful lavendar colored dress shirt with a tie in stripes of three different shades of purple. I love it! Following his lead, she'll have a lovely white bouquet of roses accented with little lilac colored flowers, shimmery white beads and coordinating sprigs of berries, all wrapped in a lovely lilac satin ribbon with a bow. The boutennieres and corsages are done in little white roses with smaller accents of lilac flowers and ribbons. Lucky me - matron of honor - will carry a white silk rose or two tied with beads and lilac ribbon.

She wanted to wear a pants suit because she's a little bit on the petite side in height (only 5' 3"!), and she's not a "dress" girl, but was unsuccessful in her shopping endeavors. After a lot of searching, she found lovely bridal gown online on Sunday (clearanced, I might add), which, thankfully, arrived today. Of course, THAT was just way too long, but another good friend of mine has a friend who's a seamstress, and long story short, alterations have been pinned and will be sewn tomorrow! I had offered her my veil, but she just laughed - that's totally not her style. She brought me over to the bridal aisle at the craft store and pointed out a "BRIDE" baseball cap and told me that's what she's wearing. I couldn't tell whether or not she was kidding, but I just zipped my lip. It's her wedding - whatever she says goes! (I just really pray she was kidding! LOL!) Shoe shopping was a real treat (sarcasm there), but after 6 hours of unsuccessful shopping with me, she searched 3 hours more on her own the next day and finally found the perfect silvery closed-toed pumps (Again, clearanced....It's a good time of year to shop, I guess! We've been lucky!). And my dear friend who knows the seamstress is going to do her make-up for her and offered her to borrow her pick of sparkly silvery jewelry from her collection.

My other dear friend who is decorating the cake is also bringing little vases of flowers for the tables (she had the vases on hand, inexpensive fresh flowers will be purchased), the tables will be covered in white, and I found some silk rose petals in lavendar and sage on clearance at the craft store for just $1.99 per box, so we're going to have some of those strewn over the middle of the tables amidst the bud vases and flowers - just for a little color. There wasn't time for favors, but I also found some really neat little matchbook notepads with little silver hearts embossed on them clearanced for just $.99 per package of 10, so I'm going to surprise her with them. I am HUGE on papercrafting, and have TONS of supplies here at home, so if I can set some time aside, I'd like to do something fancy on the covers for them, but if I can't, I also found some beautiful shimmery white ribbon that I can wrap around them, then tie them off with little violet colored ribbons. Either way, I'm sure they will be sweet and simple - just the way she would want them to be! Oh! In lieu of a guest book, I also found one of those memory frames as a surprise for them on clearance - it's beautiful! It's an 11 x 13 mat with a 5 x 7 cut-out with double mat for their wedding picture, inside of a lovely rich brown wood frame. I also purchased a lilac colored fine sharpie marker for guests to use when signing the mat. I just can't help feeling the decor will be a little sparse, but then again, she really wanted simple and understated.

A lot of us will be taking pictures and video for them, but my make-up/jewelry friend has a more professional camera and has offered to act as official photographer as her wedding gift to them, which will be great! I'm the scrapbooker in the group, so I will do their album for them. And finally, one of their friends is supposed to bring the music along with "their song." I'm not sure there will be a whole lot of dancing, but I sure would love to see them at least have their first dance!

Man, it's happening so fast, I keep thinking we're forgetting something. They've got the license, the rings, the clothes, the babysitters, the overnight stay booked... We've taken care of the minister, the organist, the photographer, the church, the hall, the food, the toast wine, the beverages, the cake, some light decor and the favors... She has all the paper goods left over from her brother's funeral, so we're covered with that, too. And if she needs to, we can use the church's dinnerware and silverware - that's not a problem at all, either! I just can't think of anything else - can you? If you can think of anything, please let me know!!! But for right now, everything's looking up! I just have to try to relax so I can sleep to rejuvenate so I make some good cakes and pretty flowers tomorrow! Ooohhhh.... I guess I'm just too excited!

Thanks for letting me share - and even more importantly, thanks for celebrating with me in spirit and with your wonderful ideas and suggestions! You all are the best!

Happy New Year!!! YES!!!!

Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2010 :  01:15:18 AM  Show Profile
Happy news Nini, congrats to the happy couple :)

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

http://pinkprincessdecorating.blogspot.com/
Almost daily updates on me, my home and my crafts

Farmgirl sister # 2410
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2010 :  07:50:30 AM  Show Profile
Thank you, Marian! :) Happy New Year!!!! - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2010 :  08:11:12 AM  Show Profile
The big day is tomorrow! Sounds as if it is all coming together nicely. What is her something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue?

Farmgirl #680!
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2010 :  08:23:27 AM  Show Profile
Oh, geez, Carol! Thank you! I didn't even think about that one! I'll have to dig through my hope chest a little bit later today. I am so glad you mentioned that! :)

For the immediate moment, though... we could always go with.... I'm the old ... the baby is still fairly new ... the jewelry is borrowed ... and the brides eyes are blue???

LOL! Just kidding! I'll be working on that as I'm messing around with these springform pans... Good Lord! My girlfriend dropped them of for me last night around 9:30, and she said she hadn't a clue how to use them, as she hadn't used them in years. Ugh... Reading up on that now and then heading down to start the cakes... What have I gotten myself into, I ask you? LOL!! It's all good... it's all good...

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2010 :  08:29:11 AM  Show Profile
Nini, sometimes you have to go with what ya got! I didn't mean to add one more thing for you to do. I just love seeing what people come up with, I have been planning my daughter's weding for 25 years now! Good luck tomorrow, Carol

Farmgirl #680!
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2010 :  10:53:35 AM  Show Profile
Oh, no, Carol! Don't feel that way! I wasn't upset! LOL! I just thought - geez, that's a tradition I don't want her to miss out on! I've been thinking about it all day! I really appreciate it!!!

The cakes are a flop.... Well, not all of them. She wants chocolate, he want's red devil's food. I used my girlfriend's recipe for the chocolate (top and bottom layers), but they keep falling in the middle. Not gonna cry, though. Just going to freeze the flops for chocolate trifle for another day, and try a different recipe this time around! The red devil's food (middle tier) looks perfect, though. Must be a recipe issue. Just gotta keep pluggin' along. These will be good stories to tell for years to come... at least... that's what I keep telling myself...

Oh, how I wish you girls could be here to share a cuppa tea and laugh with me!

TTYL - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2011 :  9:22:22 PM  Show Profile
Well, girls, sorry for the delay - I was just waiting for a few pictures to come! :) The wedding was really, really nice. The groom and I cried, but not the bride or best man! LOL! She loved her flowers, she gave me a beautiful card that made me cry... the cake turned out really well (after trying three different recipes!!!), the food was delicious and plentiful, the memory frame and favors were much appreciated, and the decorations were just right. Everyone had a lot of fun. I've never seen the groom so happy, nor the bride so content. There is a really great picture of the new "Mr. and Mrs." dancing together that I'm hoping to share - just waiting for it to arrive via email. The designated photographer had issues with her camera, so we had to rely on other guests, which is why the pictures are slow in coming. In the meantime, here are a couple of pics so you can celebrate in their joy with us! Thanks for all your support and well wishes - you're all the best! Hugs - Nini

The bride just before the ceremony... not a nervous bone in her body!

The happy groom, showing off his wedding band - we did it! :)

Sneaking a kiss as husband and wife.

The happy newlyweds! We've only just begun...

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2011 :  12:18:54 AM  Show Profile
Don't you just love weddings? They always make me hopeful for the future. Thanks for sharing.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

Happy to be a "Raggedy Ann" in a Barbie World!

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2011 :  03:35:34 AM  Show Profile
Wonderful! They look soooo happy. Carol

Farmgirl #680!
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2011 :  06:07:11 AM  Show Profile
:) Yes, they truly are very happy! It's been a long time coming! Thanks, girls!!!

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2011 :  7:41:35 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Just beautiful Nini! Congrats to all!

Blessings and Peace,
Darlene
Sister 1922

God first, everything else after!

DNA doesn't make us sisters, Love does!

The road to a friends house is never to long!

Go to Top of Page

Meg
Moderator/Farmgirl True

974 Posts

Meg
Idaho
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2011 :  5:06:30 PM  Show Profile
Congrats Nini! Thanks for sharing the pics!

MaryJane's daughter,

Meg
megan@maryjanesfarm.org
Go to Top of Page
  Family Matters: Previous Topic A Wedding in the Family!!! Yay!!! PICTURES!. Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page