alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

686 Posts

Emily
Thomasville PA
USA
686 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2011 :  4:30:16 PM  Show Profile
Hey everyone. Looking for a bit of advice. My nose is all stuffed up in my sinuses and I am pregnant. I can not take any dayquil or other junk medicine to ease my pain. I am open to making a herbal tea bag for a shower, special additives to homemade soap, making a facial cloth and soaking it in something.

Any input would be great.

Thanks,
Em

---
Currently renting-farmgirl wannabe

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2011 :  5:24:15 PM  Show Profile
Try using a netti pot... It works wonders! You might consider adding a few drops of eucalyptus and peppermint oil to a humidifier.

Do not ask the Lord to guide your footsteps, if you are not willing to move your feet.

Edited by - rksmith on Feb 22 2011 5:25:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2011 :  5:45:32 PM  Show Profile
I used to take a long hot shower with some of the Johnson's baby bath that is made for colds. Breaks the junk up.

Farmgirl #1947
Go to Top of Page

Melina
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Melina

USA
435 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2011 :  6:16:50 PM  Show Profile
I second the netti pot. It's a lifesaver around here. I have high blood pressure and can't use many of the more popular OTC meds for stuffy nose. I also get in a very steamy bath or shower, as hot as I can stand, wet a washcloth, fold it over and place over the bridge of my nose. Folded, it will retain the warmth longer. As I do this, I can feel the congestion loosen and break up. Making a bowl vaporizer is also great. Fill a bowl with hot water, add a teaspoon of Vicks (I use the Walmart generic brand) stand over the bowl with a towel draped over your head. Inhale the vapors. It's not an instant and lasting fix, as a nasal spray or decongestant would be, but it's all fairly harmless. Hope you feel better soon.

The morning breeze has secrets to tell you. Do not go back to sleep.
Rumi
Go to Top of Page

earthmamaT
True Blue Farmgirl

96 Posts

Tammy
portola California
96 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2011 :  7:29:55 PM  Show Profile
Nettie Pots are great! You can also take a pot of water and put in some peppermint oil or fresh peppermint. Put a towel over your head and inhale the steam. When you are finished leave the towel over your head for a few minutes.

Another thing to do is to lay down and place hot stones across the top of your cheeks & on your forehead ~ place a hot rag over the stones. The heat from the stones help open up the sinus passages.

Tammy ~
"Be the change you want to see in the world" Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2011 :  11:12:17 AM  Show Profile
The Neilmed sinus rinse is super easy. Its just another type of saline rinse. I think its easier than the neti pot.
Go to Top of Page

CurlysQuilts
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Sarah
Northeast Kingdom VT
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2011 :  2:51:30 PM  Show Profile
oh! I had so many headcolds when I was pregnant. For medicine, the docs would let me use Afrin, but I hated the stuff, it just made me sneeze and my nasal cavities burn. I typically did hot showers, I add a few drops of peppermint extract to a teacup, and when the shower water was hot and I was in it, I would fill the teacup up with water. Did wonders, and the peppermint always made me feel refreshed as well.

Curly's Quilts
www.curlysquilts.etsy.com

“He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.” - Micah 6:8

Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2011 :  1:28:32 PM  Show Profile
What about Vicks vapor rub?

Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

686 Posts

Emily
Thomasville PA
USA
686 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2011 :  12:38:29 PM  Show Profile
I try to avoid vicks it clogs my pores, but my DH has been making me use it. The peppermint oil has been a great solution, but I find myself coughing also after showers. I guess its breaking up stuff in my lungs too.

On a lighter note, my daughter loves the fact that the bathroom smells like a candy cane!

---
Currently renting-farmgirl wannabe
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6395 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6395 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2011 :  12:47:09 PM  Show Profile
I had hoped you were feeling better Emily, I am sure this crazy weather everyone is having is not helping. I continue to keep you in my prayers that you will feel like your old self soon.

Farm Girl Hugs,
Debbie
www.etsy.com/shop/CollectThisTreasures
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2011 :  12:06:54 PM  Show Profile
yup netti pot.

But, also doing yoga breathing exercises. Have a box of tissue ready! Use one finger and hold one nasel side closed. While breathing in as much air as you can (slowly and deeply) to the open nasel. However, being stuffed up it may not be much you can do at first, so then finish filling your lungs when you can no longer breath any more in from your nose, in with your mouth. Then close with your finger the side you were breathing in, and breath out all the air (again as much air as you can possibly do) out the nasel side you originally held closed. Do this as many times as you can and then switch which side you breath in and which side you breath out. Do this as much as you can through out the day. Usually for me with in 1 to 3 days I am feeling so much better! If you keep up these exercises even when you are not having sinus problems, it will keep you clear and from getting them as much or at all!

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

highlandviewpantry
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

WV
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2011 :  07:16:45 AM  Show Profile
Our coop sells a homemade herbal version of Vicks maybe you could google it and get a recipe.

www.thehighlandviewpantry.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic Clogged nose and pregnant Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page