Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Some of Sunshine's Creations + other stuff too
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Some of Sunshine's Creations + other stuff too Next Topic
Page: of 21

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2006 :  7:12:26 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
I'll add more tomorow if I have time to take photos of my first and second daughters clothes
more pictures on next page

have a lovely day

Edited by - sunshine on Sep 05 2006 5:56:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9090 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9090 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2006 :  8:30:16 PM  Show Profile
SUNSHINE,
All of your things are truly beautiful!!
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2006 :  9:28:53 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
thank you Nancy thank means alot to me!

have a lovely day
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2006 :  9:34:33 PM  Show Profile
beautiful work and I know it takes a lot of time. my dear granny used to do the filet crochet work. I have a large collection of her work.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2006 :  07:47:47 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
tina michelle
I am glad that you have lots of your grandmothers stuff. My great grand mother did lots of hand work about the only other person in my family to do so I only have one item fro her as her house burned to the ground when my grandmother was a teenager. All they saved from the fire was one trunk of photos that just happened to have a table cloth that she embroidered and crocheted around one of my most prized possesions. I hope you get many hours of enjoyment from them and don't just leave them in a drawer for no one to see. If you are worried about damaging them in use you can always frame them ( by a proffesional f course so as not to damage them) them they can have archival glass and paper and they would be better than in a drawer where they get permanent creases and possibly dry rot. post some pictures would love to see.

have a lovely day
Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2006 :  08:17:07 AM  Show Profile
Sunshine, you do truly beautiful work. I wish I had your patience.
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2006 :  08:30:25 AM  Show Profile
Sunshine, your work is truly magnificent and I hope that you sell a lot of it - not only to bring income in for yourself but to demonstrate to the plastic-throwaway world the value of craftsmanship. I learned long ago that a craftsperson in today's world cannot expect to get what her items are really worth because the attitude is: why should I pay that kind of money when I can get it so cheap at Wal Mart (or other discount stores). People don't appreciate the beauty and worth of a handmade item. I know I'd rather buy one beautiful hand made thing to treasure than five cheap ones.

Another problem is that many people who do appreciate craftsmanship don't have the money to buy those kinds of items. I know I'd like to buy many of my fellow Farmgirl's beautiful things, but the family funds have to go for other things (like food, medicine, gas, dumb stuff like that). It's a sad reality.

I would encourage you to keep trying. I know I am. If Shabby Chic can get $300 for a sheet, somebody is spending. We just have to let them find us!

Farmgirl hug,
Patricia

Come visit my Etsy store at www.chezPatricia.etsy.com
Farmgirls do it organically!
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2006 :  08:50:36 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
I do trade people nancy jo and aunt george sent me buttons and rick rack and I sent them lace that I made that took me hundreds of hours to make. And you know what they are happy and so am I. As we all got what we wanted and had fun doing it.

True there is a market for high end quality handcrafted items it is usually not the neighbor but there are people like this. I don't have aweb site or any thing like that but people call me from california, new york, chicago, west virginia thru word of mouth I am very happy with that. I prefer word of mouth because a testimonial was involved somewhere of my work and it has gone all away across the country how many people can say that about their work. It is amazing to me how many people go for the quick buck to just say they sell their work. I would rather wait for the customer that will appreciate my work and know that their grandchildren for generations to come will wear those clothes that were made with love. They love them. There is a lady in california that every time she has a wedding she needs to go to send me 50.00 for 1 handkerchief of irish linen and irish crochet that I make she has done this 10 differnt times. It is not new customers that I worry about making it is about the repeat customer because they are the bread and butter of any business. I value her more that the customer that comes to me for the repair of the vintage tablecloth that I get paid from 300.00 - 3000.00 for. The reason being she is a person who really likes what I make and shares it with others. Then in time they become a customer. The lady that comes for a table cloth to be repaired then takes it home and puts it in a drawer and no one sees it again until the next generation gets it and they have no idea what it is because it was never used or seen. Things are only good if they are used. That can mean wearing it , or puting it on a table or framing it. But in drawer is a waist. there is one customer I had that had a 4000.00 dollar repair she wanted done and didn't have the money. But she had tons of wool embroidery thread and canvas for tapestry work and things of that sort we traded her supplies that she couldn't use any more do to arthritis and eyesight. I got a ton of supplies to repair other peoples projects that where vintage supplies and I was excited and she was excited to have her mothers tablecloth be twice its size to fit her kitchen table and clean too. Now she got to use it every day and think of her mother and tell her children and grand children and great grand chlidren about her mother and what she did. That is what my work is about, bringing future generations to value the past generations. People use to make things so their kids and grandkids could use them and that is what I strive to do.

have a lovely day

Edited by - sunshine on Jun 27 2006 09:29:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2006 :  08:59:29 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message

these are books that I hand made
that includes pearing the leather sewing it to signatures and plaining wood for the old style coptic book ( the wood one)
this is what my major was making hand made items ( I was an art major that is why I call myself an artisan)

Romanian lace bonnet I made as a sample for a class I taught at Heindselman's in Provo

This bunny was made from a kit I orderd years ago. The yo-yos are made of silk I had a bear one I made too but I gave that to a niece of mine so I don't have a picture of it

the picture of the clown below I did not make my coiusin brenda did when I was in my mom's tummy. This is my first toy and it was hand made and I still own it This is what started it all and I love this toy it sits in my china cabinet in my front room so any one coming to my house can see it and know it is important to me.

have a lovely day

Edited by - sunshine on Jun 27 2006 09:32:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9090 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9090 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2006 :  1:47:31 PM  Show Profile
Sunshine,
wow, books too!! Are their books inside those covers?
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2006 :  2:53:27 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
yes two of the books actually have text blocks in them. One is on sewing headbands ( which is that little piece of stitching at the top of a book near the spine. The other is a book about making books. You can order text blocks to make books out of. Not all companies do that though. Most of the books I made as journals as gifts to my daughters and husband. 6 of the books have mono types in them ( printmaking) or itaglio's ( etchings) in tehm that I did in collage and at the university. There are more that are not pictured that are called wax tablets that are hand carved in maghgony( sp?) that you fill will bees wax and you scribe on them this type of book was used by the ancient greeks as a note book they could write in the wax as a reminder then when they didn't need the note any more they would just rub their hand in the soft wax and erase it pretty cool. the dark red one is a mock up copy of the godskil gospel ( an old coptic book ) the real white one is actual velum ( goat skin) with vellum pages like the book of kells pages. This is some of the stuff I really like.

have a lovely day
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2006 :  3:10:24 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
this is a picture of a smocked dress top that I am still working on embroidery

this is a picture of a section of a quilt I am working on embroidery ( not a very good photo)

have a lovely day

Edited by - sunshine on Jun 27 2006 3:51:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2006 :  4:21:08 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
Some of second childs clothes that I made

Christmas dress and bloomers ( rumba bloomers it means the back has ruffles on it)

baby bonnet

baby beanie

this bonnet is tatted

dress 6 months

easter dress 2t same pattern as my youngest pink easter dress I also did a purple one for my oldest daughter will post that later

have a lovely day

Edited by - sunshine on Sep 05 2006 6:05:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2006 :  2:45:43 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message

My middle daughter has a birthday on sunday and she wanted a clown so I made this yesterday for her

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2006 :  8:43:08 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Sunshine,
I think your items are lovely! I think it is wonderful that so many have such neat talents!! I am very interested in the wax tablet book. Did you make this by altering a book? Please let me know. I have know about these since I was like 10 but have never found anyone else who knew about them or made them! I look forward to hearing from you!!
Thanks!!!

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2006 :  9:12:06 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
No I did not alter a book you take pieces of would ( I used maghogony (sp?)). They are saw in to rectagles about 3 inch by 4 inch and about 1/2 in thick. Then you chisel with hand tools the inside of both sidea about 1/4 an inch from all sides. then you do this to the other side of the wood as well leaving about 1/4 of an inch thick piece of wood in the middle ( make 2 to 4 of these). The way the table is held together you drill at the side that is considered the spin. (this part was wrong for some reason I started to write about a coptic book my brain stapped for a second It is hard to explain the holes form a triangle inside the wood) The holes are drilled straight through the wood then you use wax cord to stitch this together ( the reason it is waxed is to keep it from getting brittle. tie another wax cord to spine and attack a sharpened stick to that this is your writting tool. The outside two tables have carving on only one side if you do not keep it in a leather pouch. This prevents the wax from getting stuck on everything. warm bees wax in hand and rub into recesses that you have carved there table done I hope that helps.

more pictures on next page

Edited by - sunshine on Jul 02 2006 06:59:19 AM
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2006 :  9:29:08 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
here are some better pictures for you of my wax tablets. Mine have the leather case version I gave away the one that had wood on the out side.

first photo in leather cases (this is the type of case they would have been held in) ( I made these in an honors art history book binding class that was taught by Robert Espinosa Past currator to the library of congress a real nice person)

second photo showing ( six stranded) six plaited braid cord closure

third photo showing thinkness of wood and the number of tablets in each book one has two and one has 4 but they are all carved front and back so 4 writting pages and 8 pages

http:

these are example of the type of book that would have been around in Homers time and forward the Cleopatra and a little beyond ( these are ment for notes and reminders that type of thing old version of a planer if you will)

having problems with photos I might post them tomorrow

Edited by - sunshine on Jun 30 2006 9:43:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2006 :  9:40:11 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
..Hmmmm not sure I got it all but I will read it through a few more time and try to visulize and see if it clicks! I get the size and chisling part just not sure on the drilling. But I will see if I can figure it all out! Thank you so much!!! It would be neat to make one!
Til Next Time...

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2006 :  9:50:29 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
buttercup
the red part in the instructions was incorrect just read the brown text sorry for the confusion my brain didn't want to work

Edited by - sunshine on Jun 30 2006 9:51:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2006 :  9:56:08 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
to buttercup just curious were you born in japan or have you moved there from the USA and if you moved why I love japanse art and embroidery their silks are just gorgeous. I love temari balls have you seen any in Japan. If so I would love to trade something for a fancy one ( sorry not the wax tablets my husband would not like that he sort of claims all the books as family possesions not mine)

It is 11 pm in utah i am going to bed it has been a long day good night all

Edited by - sunshine on Jul 01 2006 2:30:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2006 :  10:36:14 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Oh my Sunshine, we must have been writing at the same time...I just now saw the photos..Thank you so much! I can "get" it now the pictures were great!

No I am not from Japan. We moved here because Hubbie was a Marine and was stationed here. He finished with the Corps the begining of the year but took a position working for the military school system as a contracting specilist. We will be here for 1-4 years more (I am hoping only 1-2) and then will hopfully transfer back home to the states(onto my farm in Maine? ).

I am not entirely sure what you are refering to but I have a ball that I believe is a temari ball. It looks like a ball covered with fancy string with a bunch of different colors divided into sections to make a patteren... is this what you are talking about? They sell them at the Bazares here which are held mostly in Spring and Fall. I will be happy to see if I can get one for you if you don't mind waiting until the fall.
Thank you again for the pictures!!
Til Next Time...

Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2006 :  07:28:58 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
yep that is a temari ball I would just love that I have about 30 books from japan on how to make them nothing like not being able to read japanses the good thing is japan books are so great. You can actually make things just from the diagrams it didn't hurt that I had already learned how from english books either there is a temari near the begining of this thread I think page one that I made for my husband. On that one you can not see the dividing threads any more as the entire ball is embroidered on

Edited by - sunshine on Jul 01 2006 2:37:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2006 :  7:10:44 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Yes I have one like that but the design is different and it is made from 100% silk thread by a lady that comes to all our fairs/bazares. So I would be more then happy to get one for you and trade! I know we have Bazares every Nov. but if there is one sooner I will go and see if she is there. Her balls are so beautiful and very colorful! If I can figure out this photo paste thing I could take a picture of mine and post it here for you to see. I will see if I can...
Til Next Time...

Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2006 :  10:58:14 PM  Show Profile
Found this very interesting Temari site:

http://www.temarikai.com/

Georgann
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2006 :  11:42:10 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Georgann,
Thank You!!! I did not see one there exactly like what I have so I will see if I can post a pic. but I am very grateful that you posted that link! Thanks Again...

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 21 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Some of Sunshine's Creations + other stuff too Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page