Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Herbal Wisdom
 ? for making Osha root tincture
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic ? for making Osha root tincture Next Topic  

Unusual Farm Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

58 Posts

Tammie
Ohio
USA
58 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2011 :  07:18:39 AM  Show Profile
A recent trip to my bulk herb supply co op, had me exposed to an herb I have never heard of. I went in looking for hore hound, to which they were out of. An employee suggested Osha root in place of for my homemade cough drops.
I am blown away from how effective this herb is for the respitory/throat conditions making way through our household.

My question is, what is the proper ratio of root to alcohol for a tincture?
I know this is not a culitvated ability herb- must be cautiously/respectivly collected from the wild. According to Susan Weed, a little bit goes a long way {which I found to be true}.

This will be my first Osha tincture, to be exact, my first root tincture ever. I could really use some tips & how To on making this one.
Thank you for your sharing of wisdom. I'm looking forward to having this one hand!

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2011 :  07:43:17 AM  Show Profile
This is the standard recipe out of one of my herb books.... use about 4 ounces of the herb to a pint of vodka. Leave to sit in a dark location for at least 2 weeks. Shake it daily. Strain and use.

It's not an exact science because there are varying amounts used throughout the many herb books I have to reference.

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

Unusual Farm Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

58 Posts

Tammie
Ohio
USA
58 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2011 :  09:41:24 AM  Show Profile
Thank you. There is such variance in everything I looked up and being that Osha root is about $64 a lb....I prefer to get it right the first time. lol.
Thank you for the reply.
Go to Top of Page

ramonaj
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

rhonda
gibsons british columbia
Canada
118 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2011 :  6:06:21 PM  Show Profile
I use 2:1. and you need stronger vodka for roots and barks as well as mushrooms such as Reishi

happiness to all sentient beings
Go to Top of Page

Graycat
Farmgirl in Training

16 Posts

Grayce
Great Falls Montana
USA
16 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2011 :  3:37:50 PM  Show Profile
Dear Unusual Farm Chick,
I am a new farmgirl, so my apology to not posting sooner. I have been making my own tinctures and ointments for the past 6 years. I would like to recommend a couple of books so you may research the different formulas. The best and most in depth is: Medicinal Plants of the Mountain West by Michael Moore (recently past away). he has other books for different climates. The gals are correct, the roots usually need more maceration. I looked up Osha root in the above book and he states: habitat, how to collect, ecological status, primary constituents :Alpha-pinene; beta-pinene; diligustilide and other mono- phthalides; ferulic acid; limonene; ligustilide; tetramethylpyrazine, timolols; umbelliferone; (Z)-ligustilide.
Preparations: root- tincture (fresh root, 1:2, dry root, 1:5, 70% alcohol)
He has various cough syrup recipes too! Very good book about all the herbs....
Book # 2 The Herbal Medicine Makers Handbook- a home manual by James Green.
Hope this helps! Glad to know that Osha works so well. I am currently in awe of Oregon Grape Root for help with viral infections. Imagine if you put these together? Thanks for the tip!
I really can't wait until the herbs and flowers start making their appearances!
Carry on with herbs,
Graycat
Go to Top of Page

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2011 :  10:31:57 PM  Show Profile
I also like what Grayce says and use the same books. Most tinctures that I make I use ever clear, distilled water and vegetable glycerine at different percentages based on the herb parts used. Our family really likes that it is not all alcohol, plus it has a slightly sweet taste that can mask some of the bitter (nasty as some of the kids say) tastes.

Blessings,
Kristine ~ Mother of Many, Herbalist, Master Energy Intuitive

http://herbalmommasda.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Graycat
Farmgirl in Training

16 Posts

Grayce
Great Falls Montana
USA
16 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2011 :  09:21:12 AM  Show Profile
Oh Yes! After making tinctures that could gag a rattlesnake, I finally started making them with glycerin -what a difference! Also, after they are done soaking in glycerin, strain the herbs out. Dont throw them away! Depending on what you are making, I love to turn the dregs into a boiled tea. The glycerin started the process and the boiling water gets all the rest of the good qualities out. The glycerin makes it taste much, much , much better!
Thanks for reminding me- Herbquilter!
Take care,
Grayce
Go to Top of Page
  Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic ? for making Osha root tincture Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page