Page: of 2

highlandviewpantry
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

WV
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2011 :  7:07:01 PM  Show Profile
Does anyone have any experience self-publishing? Has anyone used Amazon to self-publish? I am wondering about Amazon form a cost and profit stand point.

www.thehighlandviewpantry.blogspot.com

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2011 :  3:17:45 PM  Show Profile
Hi~ My daugher has self published through blurb.com. She really liked it because they had free software at the time. I just asked her and she also recommennds lulu.com. Hope this helps.

~ Elaine
"Be the change you wish to see in the world." - Gandhi

Farmgirl sister #2822
http://embchicken.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

highlandviewpantry
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

WV
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2011 :  12:36:41 PM  Show Profile
Thanks - I will check out the sites!

Go to Top of Page

Lorraine Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

158 Posts

lorraine
salt point ny
USA
158 Posts

Posted - May 20 2011 :  08:23:22 AM  Show Profile
how long did it take from when she published it till she recieved the real coppies?
LorraineMichelle

Chickens are like potato chips...
You can't have just one!
Go to Top of Page

ChickieMama
True Blue Farmgirl

303 Posts

Angela
Banks Oregon
USA
303 Posts

Posted - May 20 2011 :  12:27:43 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the great info...I have always dreamed of one day doing this...

Farmgirl Sister#2808
"Happy Hens make Happy Eggs"
http://lazyjoranch.blogspot.com
http://etsy.com/shop/lazyjoranch
Go to Top of Page

kathleenshoop
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

kathleen
oakmont pa
USA
102 Posts

Posted - May 21 2011 :  05:46:26 AM  Show Profile
Yes, I have experience with self-publishing and I did it through Amazon's Createspace. Everything I have to say is positive. The team that worked with me (there are all levels of cost and support--I've had the lowest cost package and a middlish one) was unbelievably good. They walked me through everything, always happy to take my calls and answer my endless questions. For specifics on the matter, just email or ask me here. I also included a link to my book that you can see to determine if the quality works for her. I recommend them highly.

The Last Letter http://tinyurl.com/3tedamb

quote:
Originally posted by highlandviewpantry

Does anyone have any experience self-publishing? Has anyone used Amazon to self-publish? I am wondering about Amazon form a cost and profit stand point.

Author, The Last Letter, The novel for every daughter who thinks she knows her mother's story...
Go to Top of Page

kathleenshoop
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

kathleen
oakmont pa
USA
102 Posts

Posted - May 21 2011 :  05:48:19 AM  Show Profile
I mean if "the quality works for YOU," not her! Too early for me to be clear, I guess!

quote:
Originally posted by kathleenshoop

Yes, I have experience with self-publishing and I did it through Amazon's Createspace. Everything I have to say is positive. The team that worked with me (there are all levels of cost and support--I've had the lowest cost package and a middlish one) was unbelievably good. They walked me through everything, always happy to take my calls and answer my endless questions. For specifics on the matter, just email or ask me here. I also included a link to my book that you can see to determine if the quality works for her. I recommend them highly.

The Last Letter http://tinyurl.com/3tedamb

quote:
Originally posted by highlandviewpantry

Author, The Last Letter, The novel for every daughter who thinks she knows her mother's story...

Go to Top of Page

Lady Woodworker
True Blue Farmgirl

259 Posts

Karen
Chamberlain Maine
USA
259 Posts

Posted - May 24 2011 :  3:47:41 PM  Show Profile
This is very interesting to me too...
great thread!

Kathleen, would you mind telling me how distribution works when self-publishing with Amazon?
If I may ask, how many books have you sold so far and where?
Do you do book signings? Do you take yourself out on tour? I'm not meaning to pry or sound disrespectful--I'm just totally new to this idea.

I work for a magazine now and I have some understanding of how magazines are distributed but this sounds like a wonderful and low-stress way to publish a book! Maybe even a magazine!

Many thanks,

Karen

Farmgirl Sister # 2419
Go to Top of Page

kathleenshoop
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

kathleen
oakmont pa
USA
102 Posts

Posted - May 25 2011 :  08:55:40 AM  Show Profile
Hi Karen, any questions are more than welcome. I've so much support in publishing that I am more than happy to give back. I self-published with createspace (amazon's sister company) and chose the pro-plan that allows me (for $59 dollars I think) distribution through expanded channels (those beyond amazon and createspace and my own venues). So, Ingram stocks my books and that's where BArnes and Noble and Independent book stores get their books. It's not perfect, but it works for me.

Since May 1, I've sold about 1500 books (and I've won five book awards, too!) Many through ebook sales, though. My first book signing, I had over 100 people attend and I sold about 240 books. I've sold many since then through word of mouth, and also with Amazon mostly. My local independent bookstore is stocking it so that's helping, too. I'm really happy with how things have been going...if you have any more questions, let me know.

You don't really need to print 1000's of books and sell them out of your car like people used to if they self-published. With the internet and old fashioned-word of mouth (that "used to" is still key) the world is your marketplace.

So far so good.

Kathie

Kathleen, would you mind telling me how distribution works when self-publishing with Amazon?
If I may ask, how many books have you sold so far and where?
Do you do book signings? Do you take yourself out on tour? I'm not meaning to pry or sound disrespectful--I'm just totally new to this idea.

I work for a magazine now and I have some understanding of how magazines are distributed but this sounds like a wonderful and low-stress way to publish a book! Maybe even a magazine!

Many thanks,

Karen

Farmgirl Sister # 2419
[/quote]

Go to Top of Page

rebekahj
True Blue Farmgirl

128 Posts

Rebekah
Santa Cruz CA
USA
128 Posts

Posted - May 25 2011 :  10:28:13 AM  Show Profile
This is wonderful information! Thank you!

Urban-Farmgirl Sister #2173
http://chicken-merry.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kathleenshoop
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

kathleen
oakmont pa
USA
102 Posts

Posted - May 25 2011 :  10:33:49 AM  Show Profile
You're welcome Rebekah!

quote:
Originally posted by rebekahj

This is wonderful information! Thank you!

Urban-Farmgirl Sister #2173
http://chicken-merry.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Lorraine Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

158 Posts

lorraine
salt point ny
USA
158 Posts

Posted - May 26 2011 :  10:05:59 PM  Show Profile
thank you for the help...

LorraineMichelle
Farmgirl #3007

Chickens are like potato chips...
You can't have just one!
Go to Top of Page

Lady Woodworker
True Blue Farmgirl

259 Posts

Karen
Chamberlain Maine
USA
259 Posts

Posted - May 27 2011 :  6:25:46 PM  Show Profile
Thank you so much Kathleen!

I sure appreciate this.

And congratulations on your awards!

Karen

Farmgirl Sister # 2419
Go to Top of Page

country lawyer
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

1022 Posts

Posted - May 31 2011 :  05:11:25 AM  Show Profile
Katleen, Your book looks wonderful! Congratulations! I'm about to order a copy right now!
Go to Top of Page

kathleenshoop
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

kathleen
oakmont pa
USA
102 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2011 :  08:12:01 AM  Show Profile
Thanks so very much for getting the book! I hope you like it!

Kathie
http://www.amazon.com/Winner--Best-Regional-Fiction-Midwest-ebook/dp/B004XR50K6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1307026524&sr=8-3

Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2011 :  03:30:54 AM  Show Profile
im going to jump in here to say that i have a copy of kathleens book-havent dared to open it to read due to school finals- but it is beautiful!!!!!! wonderful quality!

as to the book content-i am waiting til i can dig in-hopefully in a week or so between classes!!!!! i want to be able to get enrossed in it as i am sure i will!!!!

HTH

Farmgirl # 2139
~*~ counting my pennies and biding my time; my dreams are adding up!~*~
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2011 :  05:05:06 AM  Show Profile
Wow! I just saw that book on Amazon.com-I love the cover illustration. Very nice!

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kathleenshoop
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

kathleen
oakmont pa
USA
102 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2011 :  11:19:51 AM  Show Profile
Thanks so much for your interest in the book ladies! I really hope you like it! The support here is amazing.

Kathie
http://www.amazon.com/Winner--Best-Regional-Fiction-Midwest-ebook/dp/B004XR50K6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1308593947&sr=8-3

Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2011 :  11:33:03 AM  Show Profile
I just finished Kathleen's book and I loved it! It has been a while since I found a book that I stayed up late reading and thought about during the day. The characters became real to me. The story is the point and I loved it but I also really enjoyed an un romanticized view of what the early settlers in the prairie lives were like.
Kathleen your insight into addiction and it's effects on family were right on. It is rare to see that so well portrayed in fiction. Family secrets travel through the generations even after the secret has been long lost. I can't help but wonder how these secrets will affect this family 2 generations removed...
Bravo! Well done!
Hugs and thanks for such a great read,
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

houligan19
Farmgirl in Training

39 Posts

sarah
groton CT
39 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2012 :  8:29:21 PM  Show Profile
I'm so glad I found this thread! I have been thinking about maybe writing some children's books but had no idea that you could do it this way. Thanks so much for all the good information. Now I have somewhere to start.
Go to Top of Page

jodischmitz
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Jodi
Maple Grove MN
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2012 :  07:09:04 AM  Show Profile
Hi, I am thinking of making my own cookbook. Has anyone done this before. I sent for a free kit through MorrisPress Cookbooks. I only want to make around 30 copies.
Go to Top of Page

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2012 :  12:21:41 PM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
thanks so much for this thread, and kathleen thanks so much for all the great information. i have been writing "stories" for a long time now about my bunnies and i would love to have a book, but i have never known what to do.
the bunnies cannot wait to find out about publishing their story!

love
frannie in texas
farmgirl sister#807
home of "green"crafts,
where no scrap is left behind
(http://abunnystale.wordpress.com/)

Go to Top of Page

Bella
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Karen

USA
274 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2012 :  12:53:40 PM  Show Profile
Hello Kathleen,

I have seen your book advertised and it looks lovely and intriguing. Now that I know you are a farm sister, I will definitely be ordering a copy. I am a published author of two books and have another that will be released in a few months. I have never gone the self-publishing route, but lately I have been looking into CreateSpace. Can you tell me if CreateSpace books are returnable? The Barnes & Noble in my area, and other bookstores as well, will not stock books unless they can be returned. Also, I notice that the traditional publishers are going the e-book route first, then publishing in hardback and/or paperback. Did you get to make that choice yourself? Sounds like you are having great success. The biggest sale I had was at my first signing when I sold around 100 copies, so you are doing far better than I.

"Just living is not enough, said the butterfly. One must have freedom, sunshine and a little flower." -Hans Christian Anderson
Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - May 04 2012 :  07:53:52 AM  Show Profile
Love this thread, I have been working on some books that I have been wondering what to do with once I finish them and now I know it's possible to self publish. Thanks so much for sharing all the tips, LOVED reading about it and it was very encouraging to me :)

Mothers are those wonderful people who can get up in the morning before the smell of coffee. ~Author Unknown

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney
Go to Top of Page

Primitive DIVA
Farmgirl in Training

36 Posts

Melissa
Montgomery Texas
USA
36 Posts

Posted - May 07 2012 :  1:07:41 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the thread.....I have become discouraged with most of the conventional publishing and the only exploration I have done is with Balboa Press (a division of Hay House) they wanted $8-10,000 for publishing, design, edit, marketing. I will visit Amazon and look into the pricing structure. I have almost completed my book (health/wellness/nutrition). Would love to slef publish....IF I could afford to ;-)

New Sister #4088
Montgomery, Texas Chapter Leader
I threw off my high heels to move to our dream 10acre Texas homestead. Goats, Chickens, Garden and Orchard and more!I am also a Weston Price Chapter Leader advocating Traditional Foods
www.healthylivingwithmelissa.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Lorie.Vance
True Blue Farmgirl

200 Posts

Lorie
Tampa FL
200 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2012 :  07:02:10 AM  Show Profile
Kathleen - I just ordered your book because of this blog, it looks beautiful! I'm taking the advice of my sisters on this site and have decided to write my post "Nightingale" from my blog into a short children's book. I'm even thinking of illustrating myself in watercolor's. This publishing topic has been so useful. Thank you to everyone for your input!!

The Vintage Garden Girl @blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Book Ideas: Previous Topic Self-publishing Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page