QueenofQuiteAlot
True Blue Farmgirl

865 Posts

Dalyn
Milk 'n Honey Ranch Central, WA
USA
865 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2014 :  10:25:36 PM  Show Profile
Kathleen that book looked so good I bought a kindle edition just now :)

Dalyn

Nubian and Miniature Nubian dairy goats http://muckbootsnaprons.blogspot.com/
http://proverbs31nubians.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

HodgeLodge
True Blue Farmgirl

662 Posts

Tiana
Berkeley Springs WV
USA
662 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2014 :  08:07:58 AM  Show Profile
This whole conversation sounds wonderful. I'd like to eventually pick someones brain about this.

Farmgirl #4817-The greatest gift of the garden is the restoration of the five senses. ~Hanna Rion

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Hodge-Lodge-Clothesline/285366378259342

Go to Top of Page

kathleenshoop
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

kathleen
oakmont pa
USA
102 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2015 :  09:01:00 AM  Show Profile
For anyone who is still looking into self-publishing the past four years have enriched me and my publishing process greatly! I can forward any info I have. And thank you to all the readers who read The Last Letter--Book two is coming June 2015 so if anyone wants an early review copy please let me know! Here is the description to help you decide if you're interested!

THE ROAD HOME...
The Long-Awaited Sequel to Award-Winning, Bestselling Author Kathleen Shoop’s The Last Letter…

1891—Living separately for three years, fourteen-year-old twins, Katherine and Tommy Arthur, have done their best to make each boarding house feel like home. But unrest grows as they are driven to questionable actions just to survive. Meanwhile their desperate mother is confronted with breaking yet another promise to her children. Then a miracle descends. Hope rises on a cold, rainy night and changes everything. If Jeanie could just get word to Katherine and Tommy, she knows she can set their lives right again. Agitators, angels, and dangerous “saviors” illuminate the Arthurs’ unmatched determination and smarts.

1905—Though she tries to forget the awful years that hurt so much, the memories still haunt Katherine. Now, tearful mourners at her mother’s funeral force her to revisit a time in her life that both harmed and saved her in the most unexpected ways. Tommy grieves his mother’s passing as well. He too is thrust backward, compelled to rediscover the events in his life that shaped the man he has become. Will he commit to reconstructing his broken life? The Arthurs come to understand that forgiveness is the only way back to hope, the only way to find all that was good in the misfortune that transformed their lives forever.

Best selling, award-winning author of historical fiction and romance! The Letter Series, Endless Love Series and More!
http://www.amazon.com/Home-Again-Endless-Love-Book-ebook/dp/B00ERBKQSO/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&sr=1-1&qid=1381435626
Go to Top of Page

kathleenshoop
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

kathleen
oakmont pa
USA
102 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2015 :  09:02:10 AM  Show Profile
Thank you so very much!!! This thread must have gotten buried for me and I'm seeing it now! Thank you for reading. It means the world.

Kathie

quote:
Originally posted by QueenofQuiteAlot

Kathleen that book looked so good I bought a kindle edition just now :)

Dalyn

Nubian and Miniature Nubian dairy goats http://muckbootsnaprons.blogspot.com/
http://proverbs31nubians.blogspot.com/

Best selling, award-winning author of historical fiction and romance! The Letter Series, Endless Love Series and More!
http://www.amazon.com/Home-Again-Endless-Love-Book-ebook/dp/B00ERBKQSO/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&sr=1-1&qid=1381435626
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Carole
New York
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2015 :  1:27:59 PM  Show Profile
Informative thread. Thank you all for your input!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com
http://www.fibrejunction.com
Go to Top of Page

KhadijahL
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Khadijah
Missouri
USA
8 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2015 :  7:18:55 PM  Show Profile
I want to also put in a good word for Createspace. We've been using it for years now, and it truly just gets better and better.
One thing I do want to suggest to everyone who is self-publishing is to make sure you do have a good editor go over your work before you publish it. It's AMAZING the difference a good editor can make with a book!
It's wonderful to see how creative and amazing all you farmgirls can be!!

Khadijah
Farmgirl #6334
Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life? -Mary Oliver
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2015 :  05:38:02 AM  Show Profile
I'm currently working on my 6th book and have used Amazon/Createspace for all of them. I would second the "hire an editor" and would add "make sure you have a decent cover". :)

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

www.thehmmmschoolingmom.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasWildflower
True Blue Farmgirl

206 Posts

Wanda
Hallettsville Texas
USA
206 Posts

Posted - May 05 2015 :  6:15:29 PM  Show Profile
Does anyone have any experience with BookBaby? Can you give a comparison between CreateSpace and BookBaby...good, bad, or otherwise? Writer's Digest recommends BookBaby but there are so many positive things mentioned here about CreateSpace.

I had completely closed my mind to self-publishing until I learned there is still the possibility of being picked up by an agent/publisher even after you have self-published. Now I have to figure out who to go to in order to get the job done.

I'd really appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

Wanda
Farmgirl sister #3399
www.wandasturrock.com
(Includes 'The Simply Lived Life' blog)
Go to Top of Page

kathleenshoop
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

kathleen
oakmont pa
USA
102 Posts

Posted - May 08 2015 :  05:41:44 AM  Show Profile
I haven't published with BookBaby. I've heard that people are satisfied with them and like the services offered. I have published with Createspace (Amazon owned-print on demand service) and KDP--the Amazon epublishing arm. I also sell my books on Nook, Kobo, Ibooks and Smashwords. I control all those aspects of publishing my books and can easily change pricing for promotions or make changes to the documents if errors are found after publishing. I don't know for sure how Bookbaby works, but I think there may be an extra layer to go through to make all those changes to book baby books. Does anyone know if you have to submit changes there and then that company makes the changes/exchanges the old document for the new one and then the changes go out to all the vendors? For me it's worth it to have the formatting done for each vendor and to upload directly to as many as I can. That way I get the most money and have the most control of the process. Some people don't want those responsibilities and that is understandable.

You mentioned finding an agent through self-publishing. I do hear of that happening. I also have friends who are making so much money self-publishing that a publishing house can't give them a big enough advance to cover what they are making on their own. So, to me it's all good!

quote:
Originally posted by TexasWildflower

Does anyone have any experience with BookBaby? Can you give a comparison between CreateSpace and BookBaby...good, bad, or otherwise? Writer's Digest recommends BookBaby but there are so many positive things mentioned here about CreateSpace.

I had completely closed my mind to self-publishing until I learned there is still the possibility of being picked up by an agent/publisher even after you have self-published. Now I have to figure out who to go to in order to get the job done.

Wanda
Farmgirl sister #3399
www.wandasturrock.com

Go to Top of Page

kathleenshoop
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

kathleen
oakmont pa
USA
102 Posts

Posted - May 08 2015 :  05:47:26 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Wanda, another thing when considering who you want to publish with is customer service. I don't know about BookBaby, but createspace is an incredible company. I can most of the publishing process on my own now (Or I hire out) but when I get stuck, there's a button on my dashboard that says "call me now," and literally I get a call back in ten seconds by a happy person, willing to help me do whatever I need. The creative teams who help format the interior and do covers are incredible as well. Also they have editing services that I hear are quite good. I have called Createspace many times in complete panics about something "not working," and a cheerful person makes it right every single time. Every single, last time. If I needed a job I would look there the employees are so nice and helpful... But it could be the same at Bookbaby. Go on their sites and call them and get a feel for who you're most comfortable with!

quote:
Originally posted by TexasWildflower

Wanda
Farmgirl sister #3399
www.wandasturrock.com

Go to Top of Page

TexasWildflower
True Blue Farmgirl

206 Posts

Wanda
Hallettsville Texas
USA
206 Posts

Posted - May 08 2015 :  3:27:56 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the input, Kathleen. That's what I've been doing, trying to dig my way through the information on their sites. I also watched a 'walk you through it' webinar about CreateSpace, which talked about the things you mentioned as well as the walk-through on account set-up and book design. So many choices!

I do know I want a professional to do the cover and editing, even though it was edited by a published author/instructor as I wrote it. I have a friend who is an internationally published (traditional) author, teaches writing, and has an editing business but, I don't know if he handles this type of books. I'll have to ask.

Either way, it's the up-front expense that has me concerned. Not sure how I can handle that. I do want to get the most bang for my buck, and I understand some things are 'free' on CreateSpace. On BookBaby everything seems to have a price tag, as far as I can tell. I don't mean to pry but, did you start out with print on demand, and kindle, etc. (the whole shebang), or did you begin with one and add to that?

An easy to work with customer service is definitely a plus. Right now I just feel overwhelmed, sitting here with a finished product and probably not having the funds to get it out there. But, if God wants it published, He'll provide a way.

Wanda
Farmgirl sister #3399
www.wandasturrock.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Book Ideas: Previous Topic Self-publishing Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page