Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 canning-replacing sugar with splenda???
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic canning-replacing sugar with splenda??? Next Topic  

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2011 :  06:49:39 AM  Show Profile
i am not sposed to have more than 5 grams of sugar in a serving of something or i get very sick- when i bake; i substitute- can i do so with canning recipes???? would it effect the quality?

anyone with experience in this?
thx!

Farmgirl # 2139
~*~ counting my pennies and biding my time; my dreams are adding up!~*~

BalancingAct
True Blue Farmgirl

297 Posts

Jackie
Hoosierville
USA
297 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2011 :  08:59:45 AM  Show Profile
Margo, my family does not use Splenda and this is the reason why. Go to http://www.splendaexposed.com/

Instead, we use Stevia. Go to http://www.truthaboutabs.com/artificial-sweeteners-natural-stevia.html We use it with a lot of things. If I don't use honey in my herbal tea, I use stevia. My DH uses it to sweeten his coffee. It can be used for many things.

In canning, I know that sugar helps with the "gelling" process of jams and jellies. However, I don't mind that my jam is a bit runny because I don't use the sugar the recipe calls for.

Hope this helps.

Farmgirl Sister #2851 -"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

http://www.fiberandherbscottage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

nancypo
True Blue Farmgirl

362 Posts

nancy
boise idaho
USA
362 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2011 :  10:56:34 PM  Show Profile
Stevia is excellent, haven't tried for canning but have used it baking and makes great lemonade!

Be the change...
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2011 :  12:28:18 AM  Show Profile
just as a warning if you plan on getting pregnant or are pregnant you may want to double think about stevia as it causes contractions for some people and for some people does cause miscarriages.

That being said, you have to be careful with splenda and canning cause of microbiotics. (mold etc) Sugar is a natural preservative, so you don't use other preservatives when you use sugar. Splenda is not. You can can with Splenda but you have to take the microbiotics of it into consideration. So either you have to take a canning microbiotics class at school. OR find reputable canning recipes for splenda. I haven't personally tried any of her canning recipes as of yet. BUT, I do have the book and intend on trying some of hers. So far, I would say 90 or more percent of her recipes I have tried have been great. And I have tried a lot. The only problem is, she died about 5 years ago. So finding this rare printed book may be difficult. But, you can still look for it. It's called Preserving the Best of Timberridge Farm's by JoAnna Lund, it's a 62 or 64 (can't remember off the top of my head) page booklet.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2011 :  12:40:30 AM  Show Profile
Oh and almost forgot, again I haven't tried any of these recipes, primarily cause I'm waiting for my fruits/veggies to get ripe still-she doesn't use sugar or Splenda, but often uses apple juice and such instead of sugar. And her stuff sounds great!

Canning for a New Generation: Bold, Fresh Flavors for the Modern Pantry

Edited by - MagnoliaWhisper on Jun 25 2011 12:41:05 AM
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2011 :  03:10:17 AM  Show Profile
thanx all....
ok-i really cannot afford stevia.....
i am not nor can i ever get pregnant again-57 post hysterectomy!
i appreciate the article about splenda -however i grew up with my gramma and her lil pills (saccharin) and then the scare.....i know that we are always taking a risk and i am not making light here...or maybe i am...too early in the morning!
i have seen the sf surejell and i guess i'm thinking more of things like chows and relishes than jellies etc....

i did not know about the microbiotic issues ....

i knew my farmgirl sisters would have answers!!!!!!!!!

Farmgirl # 2139
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2011 :  09:12:56 AM  Show Profile
I know there is pickles in the JoAnna Lund booklet not sure on relishes, I can't remember. I know there is more then jams and jellies though. For the other book, I know for sure there is relishes, and pretty sure on the chows, I need to get the book out and read more of it though.

I also understand the price of Stevia. I take the risk with Splenda as well. Cause I am of child bearing age and seem to be fertile mertle! lol haha Not only that, but when Stevia had a big craze in the late 80's, my mom bought a lot of it, and we used it almost exclusively she had 5 miscarriages during that time, we didn't know why......till recently when we were told about the contractions connection with stevia. I have had 3 children so far eating Splenda during my pregnancies with no problems. I'm a diabetic, so I kind of watch my carbs too. But, I will say the amounts of sugar in relishes and chows I think may be negotiable.

Ok I got out the canning for a new generation book, I looked up bread and butter pickles she is using honey instead of sugar. The only thing I must say that I like JoAnna Lund's booklet over this is JoAnna Lund lists the carbs per a serving and what a serving is actually-IE three pickles or what ever. Another one not from JoAnna Lund but from the new generation one, calls for 4 teaspoons of sugar, however, that's for 1 quart of pickles, so I am thinking you will be getting VERY little sugar in a serving of that!

Ok I just looked through the new generation book for the first time, (I just bought it this year haven't had much time). I have looked through JoAnna's in the past though cause I've had it for a sight longer and I must say there is probably more recipes I will use of JoAnna's. However, there's another book I want to try as well but don't have to know for sure about the carbs sugar etc in it yet, but I believe I may like it best of all from what I have heard, it's called Put em up! Maybe you can go to the library and check out Put em up! And the New Generation book and see if either have anything you can have or want. Other then that you may want to keep your eye on amazon and ebay for the JoAnna Lund booklet. (she has over 60 books and many many booklets, so you must remember the name I put above to find the one you want-none of her recipes have sugar though, NONE!).

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2011 :  09:18:47 AM  Show Profile
oh one more thing I wanted to add the sure jell etc for low sugar has more to do with the setting up (jelling, thickening etc) of your recipes then the actual preservation. That's why you don't want to just substitute Splenda or honey etc for sugar straight out, with out knowing what else you may need to add for preserving to keep from botulism, etc. However, most relishes and chows have vinegar, which is also a preservative so probably not as a big deal as with jellies and jams.

Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2011 :  10:38:14 AM  Show Profile
heather-thank you!
the sugar issue in my case is that i had gastric bypass surgery and i "dump" on too much sugar or fat - and it makes me feel like i wanna die.......sf honey is ok but honey also make sme sick.....

i am going to have to spend some library time and really appreciate everyone's help!

Farmgirl # 2139
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2011 :  8:23:50 PM  Show Profile
Margo, if you think stevia may be something that will work for you, you can grow it as an herb from seed, I think Ferry Morse has it on their website? I've got it on my wish list for next year as I'd like to try it out for cold drinks and stuff.
(Thanks for the warning Heather, I'll go easy on it if I have it and avoid completely during pregnancy.)

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi

"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9203 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9203 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2011 :  05:54:16 AM  Show Profile
have you ever tried using Succanat? It is the least processed sugar you can get. Basically it is not processed it is just evaporated cane juice. Very dark brown in color. Not crystal but more like tiny beads. I like to use it in baking but have never tried it in canning. I would definitely stay away from the Splenda or any of the artificial sweetners.

farmgirl sister#43

O, a trouble's a ton or a trouble's an ounce,
Or a trouble is what you make it!
And it isn't the fact that you're hurt that counts,
But only--how did you take it?

--Edmund C. Vance.
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2011 :  06:57:01 AM  Show Profile
have never heard of it-will have to look into it...
thanks

Farmgirl # 2139
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic canning-replacing sugar with splenda??? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page