vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2011 :  07:35:46 AM  Show Profile
would like some feedback about which dehydrator to purchase. Don't want to spend a ton but would like one taht others have had some success with.
Thanks,
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.etsy.com
www.dreamingofsprintime.etsy.com
Love that good ole vintage junk

plainandsimple72
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

Lisa
Upper Midwest
USA
6 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2011 :  08:12:48 AM  Show Profile
I have a Excalibur 4 tray and I love it...

Plainandsimple72
Go to Top of Page

Bushel n Peck
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

Tracy
Truly MT
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2011 :  1:22:29 PM  Show Profile
I have an Excalibur too. It's so nice to be able to make jerky without the oven. I have made some fruit leather and apple snacks too!
I chose the excalibur because it's made in USA and is more versitile than the round ones.

Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at the testing point.
C. S. Lewis

Edited by - Bushel n Peck on Jul 21 2011 1:23:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

sonshine4u
Chapter Guru

1205 Posts

April
New Prague MN
USA
1205 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2011 :  3:49:14 PM  Show Profile
I dont have one yet, but everyone who has an excalibur is delighted with it. I want the 9 tray...it's on my list! :)

Playing in the Sonshine
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1401 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1401 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2011 :  4:05:29 PM  Show Profile
I have the same dehydrator as Lisa, an Excaliber 4-tray. It works wonderfully. Just wouldn't recommend using it to dry onions in the house. I run mine out in the garage. I have dried apples, apricots, cherries, and some fruit leathers. Yum.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

SusanScarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

317 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2011 :  6:56:25 PM  Show Profile
I have the excalibur 4 tray also. Love it.
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2011 :  8:53:23 PM  Show Profile
I have a Nesco with 8 trays and have used it forever. They still make it and I would buy another in a heartbeat. I like being able to buy more trays to stack. I started out with 4 but have graduated to 8.
:-) The Nesco is pretty inexpensive. If you would like, you can see what it looks like at my blog at
http://www.oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog/?p=2578 Just scroll down and there is a picture.
Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com
www.Oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog
The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19

Edited by - Okie Farm Girl on Jul 21 2011 8:55:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2011 :  06:00:50 AM  Show Profile
The excalibur is on my wish list, I'd get the 5 or 9 tray depending on what I can afford when I can :). I want it big enough to put a jar in for cultures or ferments or to put bread in to rise so it has to be at least the 5 tray size. Definitely going with that one for the versatility!
Sabrina

Farmgirl Sister #3275
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2011 :  06:20:21 AM  Show Profile
I have a Nesco and an Excalibur...both are real good machines and I have used them quite a lot.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

I ask not for a larger garden, but for finer seeds.

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2011 :  5:24:30 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
I have the Excalibur 5 tray but use to use my Moms 9 tray...the one I have also has a timer on it...it cost a little more but is well worth it...good luck

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...

So Keep Smiling!
Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

686 Posts

Emily
Thomasville PA
USA
686 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2011 :  06:46:56 AM  Show Profile
I have a ronco that I purchased off of craigslist for $10 and it came with about 7 trays. I am in love with using it.

---
Farmgirl #2951
Currently renting-farmgirl wannabe
Go to Top of Page

supernaynay
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Jeanne
Santa Margarita CA
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2011 :  6:15:19 PM  Show Profile
i have the four tray nesco american harvest - i purchased from amazon.com about 3 or so years ago - very inexpensive, and works as well if not better than my friend's excalibur!!! save yourself over $100 and try this one out :)

Queen of the Mutziger Moose Lodge - Farmgirl Sister #1883
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2011 :  08:03:36 AM  Show Profile
Agreed about Nesco vs Excalibur. Had my first Nesco for 10+ years and had to buy a new one this year, not because it died but because a mouse had decided that the motor part made a good home. Went to amazon and bought a new one with the top motor/fan this time (a must) and since it was the same kind all of my old trays fit the new one. The Nesco comes with 5 trays and is expandable up to 12 trays so you can dehydrate a little or alot. It comes with 2 screens and I do recomend that you invest in as many as you have trays for, they are great for keeping your food on the trays as it shrinks. As for what it will dehydrate- everything and it is way cheaper than the excalibur! Just a FYI- the Nesco is still assembled in the USA with US and forign parts.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic dehydrator recommendations? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page