Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Tomato Powder? Next Topic  

Mini
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Cheryl
Kentucky
27 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2011 :  12:58:06 PM  Show Profile
Is anybody familar with this? I have looked it up online and am interested in it. I like the thought of, if I need a tablespoon of tomato paste for a recipe, instead of opening a can, taking 1 spoon out then freezing the rest (then forget about it and not find it until a year later when I clean out the freezer) mixing water with a spoonful of powder to make paste.
Plus, since it's just me, I don't use canned sauce enough to buy it but still like to have some on hand for a few recipes.

Mini

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2011 :  1:21:37 PM  Show Profile
I watched the Victory Garden on Sunday and a chef had made spinach powders and tomato powders from dehydrated veggies. I thought it was a great idea, though I wasn't exactly sure I'd use them the way she did. But, then, I'm not a chef in Boston...

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Nanniekim
True Blue Farmgirl

206 Posts

Kim
Arizona
206 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2011 :  8:42:51 PM  Show Profile
I use tomato powder. I will always have it in my pantry. It has a deep flavor like tomato paste. So easy to add to soups and sauces calling for tomato sauce or paste.

Kim
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2011 :  06:30:44 AM  Show Profile
I have read about that in a food dehydrator book. Planned to make the powder this year but I have the Worst Garden Ever!. I use dried spinach often and that would be easy to make into powder.

....it's what's inside a women, when she's up against the land.

Farmgirl #680!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/lessielouise22
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2011 :  07:16:36 AM  Show Profile
I haven't made tomato powder yet, but we always have asparagas powder in the pantry and I just got done with the broccoli powder. When we have a good pepper year there will be hot pepper powder in the pantry too. People give me weird looks when I say asparagas powder until they taste my cream of asparagas soup, then they understand.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

Mini
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Cheryl
Kentucky
27 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2011 :  09:23:39 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the help all! Ms. Lilly, I don't know about the asparagas or broccoli powder, I'm not real fond of either one. Now the hot pepper powder sounds yummy, as long as it's not super hot. I'd have to buy some, I didn't do a garden this year and don't have a dehydrator.

Kim, thanks, that's the answer I was looking for. I think I'm going to order some soon. Do you buy or make yours?

Mini
Go to Top of Page

Nanniekim
True Blue Farmgirl

206 Posts

Kim
Arizona
206 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2011 :  1:15:08 PM  Show Profile
I buy mine. I guess if I have enough tomatoes this year I might have to try making some.

Kim
Go to Top of Page

Mini
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Cheryl
Kentucky
27 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2011 :  3:27:48 PM  Show Profile
Kim, do you buy it locally or online? I've looked at a few places online and wonder which is best.

Thanks again!
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Tomato Powder? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page