mommatracy
True Blue Farmgirl

490 Posts

Tracy
My. Olive NC
USA
490 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2011 :  11:30:29 AM  Show Profile
I have been raising my soon to be 3 yr. old grandaughter since the day she turned 6 months old. She is the sweetest most loving little girl. Problem is she will not eat. Does not like food! Refused to eat a vegetable except maybe 2 or 3 frenchfries. She will eat chicken nuggets, bacon, cheerios, cheese crackers, scrambled eggs, canned chicken noodle soup, pancakes, and once in a while a vanilla wafer. Oh she will eat strained baby food peas in the jar. That is it! She doesn't even like cake, cookies, or candy which is ok. She will only drink her milk warm in a sippy cup. I could use any ideas on how to introduce her to green beans, potatoes, peas, etc... She only weighs 25 pounds and is about 37" tall. It is so stressful everyday trying to figure out what to feed her. I can see her ribs! Dr. says just keep trying and not to give up. She is on a multivitamin.

www.cottagebythebay.blogspot.com

~Trust in the Lord...but row away from the rocks~

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2011 :  11:53:19 AM  Show Profile
Oh Tracy, I'm sorry--I have one, too. Violet is 2.5 and it's a daily struggle to get her to consume something that isn't a)bread or b)breaded chicken.
Violet loves bacon, too--how interesting--in fact, besides chicken nuggets, it's the only "meat" I can get her to eat. Oh yes, fish sticks, too...

I'm doing what my pediatrician told me--she said, "You're not a short order cook. She eats what you eat or there's always breakfast." Well, I'm closely following it, anyway. I make dinner, I give her what we're having plus one thing that I know she WILL eat (Dr. Praeger's spinach bites). They're awesome, highly recommend them--they also come in sweet potato and broccoli. Organic spinach/potato/seasonings all shaped in stars, dinosaurs, etc--she loves them--it's the only way I can get anything green into her.
I did make purees to put into foods, but i don't want to "slip" stuff into her food, I want her to eat it in it's natural form, so the only way I use them is in tomato sauce I'm putting on her pizza (I'll add carrot to that).

I just had to "let go" and stop it from being a battle. Because she'll win, you know :) I've tried everything--letting her help me make dinner, letting her stir the veggies, whatever. Nothing makes her eat them, so I just don't fight it. I put it on her plate and even if she plays with it, I feel like that's a victory!

I'm so sorry, I wish I had more answers, but I think you're doing the best you can--just know I'm right there in the trenches with you!!!!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

mommatracy
True Blue Farmgirl

490 Posts

Tracy
My. Olive NC
USA
490 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2011 :  12:07:10 PM  Show Profile
Thanks so much for your input. I am going to get some of those spinach bites you mentioned and hope she will try them!
Tracy ( Nanny)

www.cottagebythebay.blogspot.com

~Trust in the Lord...but row away from the rocks~
Go to Top of Page

Beverly Gill
True Blue Farmgirl

1114 Posts

Beverly
Marlborough
USA
1114 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2011 :  12:21:27 PM  Show Profile
I have a grand daughter like this---I worry about her future health----she is 3 and a half---and what a bad eatter she is.

Beverly Gill

There's no place like home
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2011 :  12:22:29 PM  Show Profile
Try all three--he also makes potato crusted fishies, which Violet also loves :)
By the by, she's super cute, "Nanny", you're doing a fine job!!!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/

Edited by - FebruaryViolet on Sep 09 2011 12:25:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2011 :  3:34:15 PM  Show Profile
Well my Daughter was the same way 31 years ago. She had her favorites she would eat and nothing else. So she got what she asked for but she ate what she asked for. And one bite her size of something new every now and again.And I would not bug her any other time about eating. She will eat just about anything now. Her Daughter is the same way and she is just now 6 and trying new things from time to time I really think that people that will not try things is more an over active sense of smell than any thing.
Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

Jessi Lynn
True Blue Farmgirl

144 Posts

New York
USA
144 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2011 :  4:09:07 PM  Show Profile
You should check out Muffin Tin Mom
www.michellesjournalcorner.blogspot.com

Food is served in muffin tins. Some parents pick themes or add those silacone liners to make it fun.

She has Muffin tin Monday people posts picks of what they served.

The muffin tins seem like the perfect amt of food.
Maybe try a her favorites and add a couple new foods; like: chicken nuggets, cheese crackers, scrambled eggs, bacon, a spoonful of peas and another new food.
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2011 :  8:17:02 PM  Show Profile
For me we just don't give mine unhealthy foods, anything you don't want her eating regularly don't ever give her. that way she can't be asking for it.

On the other foods we have a one bite rule, it takes determination sometimes a lot of tears too. but, mine have to eat at least one bite of all the healthy foods we have at the meal. Or they can't leave the table, just one bite is all. I have other kids here though that get to get up and go on with their day, and she has to sit there and wait for her to eat the one bite, that I think motivates her to go ahead and eat it and get it over with. Before we moved here though with my parents (they have a lot of kids) sometimes we just sat there ALL day! It only took a few ALL days of crying screaming craziness though for her to see I was the one in charge and I wasn't budging. So she could either do it or sit there. That I think only happened twice then she was over it and would eat things much faster after that. Like I said I am not unreasonable I dont' make her eat a whole portion, just one bite.

I have read time and again it can take many many many times for some people/children to aquire taste for certain foods, so you just have to keep putting them on there.

The best thing to do is do it before they are this old, that way they are used to it. With DD2, she eats every thing but collard greens, however, I still put a dollop of collard greens on her plate EVERY time we have them, cause I figure with time she may aquire a taste for it.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2011 :  8:21:43 PM  Show Profile
Yes, the "No Thank You" bite. I do wonder how children stay alive sometimes.

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2011 :  01:47:51 AM  Show Profile
lol Yup exactly.

At the same time DD1 sometimes finds out she likes things, she didn't think she would. Other times after several tries, she has found she did acquire a taste for it.

For instance she didn't like tomatoes for a long time, now she does. It took a lot of tries though. But, I've heard many times, that you have to just keep having them try it. I wouldn't ever make them eat a whole portion though till they liked it, because I think that may backfire. But, I think the one bite just gives them the taste once in a while, enough to help start the acquirement.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2011 :  05:23:51 AM  Show Profile
I agree with the doctor, I'm not a short order cook. I make good food if you don't eat it you can be hungry until the next meal comes. And then sometimes your next meal is the last meal you chose not to eat. However, I don't make them eat things that they HATE because sometimes it is a sign of allergy. So my children don't eat tomatoes at this point. They both hate them, and it is a higher allergy type food. If there's a new food or something they're not sure about they need to have a taste of it and often times they decide they like it. Other times, not so much. But we have the "no thank you" rule which means the term "YUCKY" isn't said at our table. If you try it and don't like it just say no thank you if offered more. My personal opinion is that some things you grow to like. I remember not liking foods as a child that I like now. I think the taste buds mature or something!

She is tiny so if you want to make sure she's getting the nutrients she needs until you can convince her to eat maybe make shakes? I make smoothies in the morning with yoghurt and fruits and other needed nutrients. But if your doctor isn't worried then just keep up the good fight!! :) My son is a pickier eater than my daughter but I think it's an issue of a sensitive stomach. Any spice at all and it upsets his tummy. He adores the foods that are easy on tummies like hot cereal, yoghurt etc. Maybe your little one is getting tummy aches because the food doesn't agree with her?

Good luck!

Excuse the mess & the noise, my children are making happy memories
Go to Top of Page
  Family Matters: Previous Topic Need Help for Picky Eater! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page