Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Magazine: Call for Entries
 Keeping in Touch
 Imagin a Place: Mountains, Trees and Mist
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Imagin a Place: Mountains, Trees and Mist Next Topic  

blackfell_farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

96 Posts

Casey
Chandler AZ
USA
96 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2011 :  10:07:12 AM  Show Profile  Click to see blackfell_farmgirl's MSN Messenger address  Send blackfell_farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
So, I heard this was the place to post this kind of thing. This months magazine REALLY spoke to my heart and soul and the short story style writing featured inspired me to write my own short story. I hope it isn't too long. :)

The rain was misting down in the cool autumn twilight. The day’s activities, which had been plentiful, were finally winding down. The fence on the north facing pasture was fixed, the miniature goats and horses were transferred to a new pasture, the two mini Jersey cows were milked and the eggs gathered. The garden, now brimming with autumn bounty, would have to wait until tomorrow. Smoke was already rising from one of the house chimneys, drifting toward the gray sky.
She kissed to her dappled Appaloosa and let him set a brisk pace back to the saddle barn. The barn was the result of a team of friends and neighbors, who had donated time, reclaimed wood, and supplies to build the post and beam style structure. No paint lay on it, just several coats of clear seal to protect it from the rain. The wood was dark and stone sections around the base gave it a medieval, but homey feel. She had made many friends in the building of it.
She dismounted once inside the overhang and began to unsaddle the horse. Mud clung to the steel toed boots. She wore a long split, black cowhide code, custom made by a fellow farmgirl sister in the area. The same sister had altered her black boot cut, double layer Carhartts for a low, low rise. The talents of her fellow sisters never ceased to amaze her.
Once the saddle was off and the horse brushed, she paused and lay her cold hands on his steaming coat. He munched happily on some hay set out for him as she petted him and thanked him for such a great ride. He flicked his ears in response munching contentedly.
After placing the horse in his stall for the night, she made her way to the house. The house had been in disrepair, but she and her husband and friends had fixed it up and added to it, so now it looked like something out of a Thomas Kinkaid painting. There were stone facing walls with timber frames, and three different styles and colors of roofing.
She sighed a contented sigh as the aroma of bread came to her in the misting air. The evergreen trees were tall, crowding cozily around the property and the mist hung on them, adding a peaceful and wonderful stillness all around her. Asian pear trees, apple trees and all sorts of plants and grasses hugged the house. She inhaled deeply in the cool wet air and sighed again. This was home. This was truly home.

Thanks for Listening!!

blackfell_farmgirl

HorseCrazy!

KathyC
True Blue Farmgirl

583 Posts

Kathy
Gastonia NC
USA
583 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2011 :  10:23:34 AM  Show Profile
Very nice, I'd like calling that place home too.

Thanks for sharing!

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

craftystranger
True Blue Farmgirl

525 Posts

Barbara
Franklin NC
USA
525 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2011 :  4:05:44 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, I Enjoyed your story. Wish my home was like that at times. Keep writing, Barbara

Don't forget to laugh!
Go to Top of Page

blackfell_farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

96 Posts

Casey
Chandler AZ
USA
96 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2011 :  09:27:45 AM  Show Profile  Click to see blackfell_farmgirl's MSN Messenger address  Send blackfell_farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
I am glad you enjoyed it! I will definately keep writing, it is one thing that I love to do. Thanks!

blackfell_farmgirl

HorseCrazy!
Go to Top of Page
  Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Imagin a Place: Mountains, Trees and Mist Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page