AmberNWichita
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Amber
Wichita Kansas
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2011 :  09:50:28 AM  Show Profile
My SCOBY motel is getting full so I have about 15 SCOBY's to give away. I'll send them out to anyone who asks.

I would love other cultures like, water kefir grains, a cheese rennet, or Locally grown canned food like Olives, Jams or jelly I can't get in Kansas like prickly pear or agave. Surprise me!

edit:

I thought long and hard this is what I was thinking.
Unusual Found Items • Vintage Flour Sack Towels • Clockwork pieces • Embroidery thread • Sewing threads • Unique Stamps • Ribbons • Rag dolls • Paper Roses • Tea like a fruity Rooibos, or a black tea • Buttons • Fabric Pinwheels • (good) Smelly things • Folded Greeting Cards • Paper Dolls • Dried flowers • Button Fairies • Bottle Caps • Charms • Vintage Handkerchiefs, and ATC's

Hope this helps I have never swapped so I didn't know what to put there originally.

Edited by - AmberNWichita on Nov 30 2011 10:43:22 AM

Joey
True Blue Farmgirl

1868 Posts

Joey
Gulf Coast FL
USA
1868 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2011 :  8:40:30 PM  Show Profile
I give up..what is a scoby?Joey

Well behaved women rarely make history.
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2011 :  8:48:38 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Kombucha is a living health drink made by fermenting tea and sugar with the kombucha(Scoby) culture. The result can taste like something between sparkling apple cider and champagne, depending on what kind of tea you use. It's not what you'd imagine fermented tea to taste like.

SCOBY is an acronym standing for Symbiotic Colony of Bacteria and Yeast

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...
Go to Top of Page

AmberNWichita
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Amber
Wichita Kansas
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2011 :  09:16:12 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Penny! :D

I want there to be no peasant in my kingdom so poor that he cannot have a chicken in his pot every Sunday.
Henry IV
Go to Top of Page

Singletons
True Blue Farmgirl

97 Posts

Crystal
flowery Branch GA
USA
97 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2011 :  5:34:17 PM  Show Profile
I'm interested. I can send some handmade soap, or fabric scraps, or jelly/jam of some sort.
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2011 :  7:54:10 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
You are welcome Amber, I'm like you I am over run right now with scobies...I even used them to make dog treats...sprinkled chicken flavoring on them and then dried them...doggies loved them..

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...
Go to Top of Page

urban chickie
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Catherine
Niles IL
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2011 :  6:22:10 PM  Show Profile
I saw this TED talk where a fashion designer was growing SCOBYs in a large vat so she'd get sheets of the rubbery culture, then she sewed clothes out of it. Wild!! Problem was, the clothes started disintegrating in rain, sweat, etc. She was actually trying to alter the microorganisms in a traditional SCOBY to maybe make it more durable in water. The possibilities were sort of neat.....

Catherine
Farmgirl #1370
City Girl By Birth,
Suburbanite By Location,
Farmgirl at Heart
Go to Top of Page

AmberNWichita
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Amber
Wichita Kansas
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2011 :  8:01:04 PM  Show Profile
@Crystal Great send me your addy, I'll get those SCOBY's out to you ASAP I have a Renn Faire to perform at this weekend so I probably won't get it out until monday at the earliest. @Catherine I saw that article too and it didn't look to awful. I know when I dry scoby's they tend to look like weird dried skin.

I want there to be no peasant in my kingdom so poor that he cannot have a chicken in his pot every Sunday.
Henry IV
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2011 :  6:44:02 PM  Show Profile
This is so crazy! I'll have to follow this thread. I'm definitely interested, but I have NO idea what I'd make with it!

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

SylviaE
True Blue Farmgirl

350 Posts

Sylvia
Wichita KS
USA
350 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2011 :  7:11:05 PM  Show Profile
Hey just be careful when you mail those Scoby's! When my daughter mailed me one, it leaked a little and almost caused the post office to call out a HazMat team LOL.luckily we live in a small town and the post master called my secretary and she contacted me and all was well-interesting trying to explain the Scoby and Kombucha to them.

Sylvia E
Farmgirl Sister #2871
Go to Top of Page

horsegirl
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

Lara
Kalispell MT
USA
25 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2011 :  8:03:45 PM  Show Profile
I would LOVE to make my own Kombucha, but don't really have anything canned to trade this year. Would you sell it, or is there anything else you might want in trade?

Organic skincare shopping made easy!
http://us.nyrorganic.com/shop/lbaumann

"I will never leave you nor forsake you"
Hebrews 13:5b
Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2011 :  06:09:18 AM  Show Profile
I would love to have a start! I suppose you could send directions with it, or some links to some good sites?

Patty #1840

A rind is a terrible thing to waste. Compost.

When they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, “Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted.”
-Jesus in John 6:12 NIV Bible
Go to Top of Page

AmberNWichita
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Amber
Wichita Kansas
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2011 :  10:23:32 AM  Show Profile
Anything! I'll trade anything! I'll also send it for nothing just because I have so many. Just send me address, I guess this means I have to sit down and write out some decent instructions.

Henry IV
Go to Top of Page

longbeachfox
True Blue Farmgirl

322 Posts

Mary
Long Beach WA
USA
322 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2011 :  10:48:43 AM  Show Profile
Amber, I would love to try one. I will email you my address. Hugs, Mary

Farmgirl # 2532

With God...Nothing Is Impossible!

http://foxontherunarts.blogspot.com

www.etsy.com/shop/longbeachfox

Go to Top of Page

horsegirl
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

Lara
Kalispell MT
USA
25 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2011 :  11:09:23 AM  Show Profile
Would you be interested in a geranium essential oil? i have an extra I could trade you for. Email me if so and we can exchange addresses.

Organic skincare shopping made easy!
http://us.nyrorganic.com/shop/lbaumann

"I will never leave you nor forsake you"
Hebrews 13:5b
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2011 :  4:14:38 PM  Show Profile
My question is how large do the SCOBY's get and how do you know when to separate?
Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

AmberNWichita
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Amber
Wichita Kansas
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2011 :  5:54:57 PM  Show Profile
Okay Ladies I will sit and write out some good instructions before I send anything out. Not sure I can get them out until next Monday.

Henry IV
Go to Top of Page

adnama
True Blue Farmgirl

171 Posts

inge
fargo north dakota
USA
171 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2011 :  8:18:39 PM  Show Profile
This sounds very interesting, what are you looking for? What do you need, crafting stuff, books, give me a clue as to what you would want for barter and I would love to try--- it was the cross between sparkling and champagne that caught my attention.
Go to Top of Page

AmberNWichita
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Amber
Wichita Kansas
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2011 :  10:37:42 AM  Show Profile
Hey ladies sorry I haven't gotten back to you recently. CI have never bartered for anything on here so I don't know what to ask for. I have not completed the directions for making Kombucha Tea. I'd like everyone to at least try it that wants to. I'll update the original post with a list of stuff.

Henry IV
Go to Top of Page

Relientkrazy
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Connie Jo
Portland OR
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2011 :  7:05:50 PM  Show Profile
I would love to try your kombucha. My mother grew it and drank it daily. She lived to be 86. My hubby works in a homebrew supply shop that sells starters. I have been making it for several months now with a starter he got at the shop. The SCOBY doesn't look really healthy like my mother's did, but the end product tastes good.

I would like to trade something. How about some hand crafted cards (10-12, you tell me if you want birthday, sympathy, etc.) or an apron.

Let me know what you think!

Connie Jo
Farmgirl 3640

Recyle, Reuse, Relove something old! Everything deserves a second chance!
Go to Top of Page

Cate1313
True Blue Farmgirl

67 Posts

Cate
Manlius NY
USA
67 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2011 :  4:28:07 PM  Show Profile
Ooh! Ooh! Hey any SCOBY left? Would you like to barter for some homemade herbal lotion and lip balm? I loooove Kombucha. SO easy to make too.

~Cate
Farmgirl Sister #3450

I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night - Sarah Williams
Go to Top of Page

AmberNWichita
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Amber
Wichita Kansas
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2011 :  11:36:03 PM  Show Profile
So so sorry ladies I was not ignoring you I actually started to worry about what would happen if I send out a half dozen baggies of liquid. I think the post office would freak. So I figured I would vacume the SCOBY and then put them in baggies and send them out. I wrote in my instructions on how to make Kombucha Tea without a starter liquid from a previous batch.

Good question Diana I should write that in my pamplet. The SCOBY's only get about as big as the top of the jar or bowl they are brewed in so if you brew the tea in a half gallon wide mouth ball jar like I do then it wouldn't ever get bigger than the jar itself.

Henry IV
Go to Top of Page

ProgressiveHomemaker
True Blue Farmgirl

218 Posts

Rachell
Mars Hill NC
USA
218 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2012 :  7:33:06 PM  Show Profile  Send ProgressiveHomemaker an AOL message
I have some scoby to share. What is the best way to ship them out?

Life's short. Make today count.
Go to Top of Page

necobia
True Blue Farmgirl

53 Posts

Lois
gloucester va
USA
53 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2012 :  07:52:31 AM  Show Profile
do you have anymore? I know all about Kombutcha and I am looking for a new scoby let me know and I'll see what I have for you!!
Thanks

farmgirl sister 1271

http://laisydaisyfarm.weebly.com/
Go to Top of Page

DvilleMama
True Blue Farmgirl

159 Posts

Lyn
Small Town MI
USA
159 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2012 :  7:38:19 PM  Show Profile
I've got lots of extra SCOBYs that I can share. If somebody is able to write a good way to ship them, I'd love to share the wealth!

Lyn
Farmgirl Sister #1574
Mid-Michigan Farmgirl Chapter
http://simplelifeseeker.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2012 :  11:53:19 PM  Show Profile
I would love some scoby...I put out a post yesterday for some and got no response and then
tonight I found this thread. Hope you have some left.

blessings,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

"Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch"

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be His!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 *Farmgirl Barter™: Previous Topic Kombucha SCOBY Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page