Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2012 :  1:24:54 PM  Show Profile
A friend of mine has A LOT of whole cows milk he needs to get rid of and was asking for some ice cream recipes. He is not very computer savvy.

I have been searching online for the past 2 hours for SIMPLE and tasty ice cream recipes that use whole cows milk.

Friend Tom has about 2 1/2 gallons, and can double any recipes given. He also wants to use some of my frozen strawberries.

Do know that he is in his 60's and is an old tyme farmer type. So simple is better.

I'm assuming he will be using a crank or electric churn style ice cream maker.

I'll be dropping off the berries tomorrow afternoon and hopefully a decent recipe. I have two so far, so anything else will be greatly appreciated.

thanks!

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2012 :  3:01:31 PM  Show Profile
I don't really know, I am allergic to dairy! Good Luck!
Mary LD

Haflingers- You can't have just one!
( I'm just one short of a drill team!)
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4086 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4086 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2012 :  04:02:12 AM  Show Profile
I just made a really good ice cream. I have an electric style.
4 cups milk, 4 cups cream. 2 cups sugar, a splash of vanilla.
2 cups of chopped frozen strawberries.
I don't know if the frozen strawberries is what made the difference, but it turned out better them boughten ice cream.
Michele
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2012 :  09:34:32 AM  Show Profile
Thanks a bunch!
Sorry i'm so late getting back

I'll tuck this away for myself and try it since we share milk from the same farmer and the freezer is still brimmng with berries
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2012 :  09:49:31 AM  Show Profile
This is the one I make. It came in the instruction booklet for my ice cream maker. They call it a french vanilla and it's delicious. Hope it's not too late for you to use this!

2 cups of milk
2 cups of cream
3 eggs
1 cup sugar
2 tsps vanilla

Beat the eggs and milk together, add the sugar and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, for about 10 minutes. The mixture should thicken slightly, enough to coat the back of a spoon. Remove from the heat, stir in the cream and vanilla, and chill in the refrigerator overnight (or for 4-8 hours). Then make it according to the directions for the machine.
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2012 :  4:29:06 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Amie!

I like your recipe too cause you can do it in stages and not be too overwhelmed.

Tom said he would call when he had the ice cream in the freezer ready for tasting.

We will have lots more milk all summer long and plenty of berries!

And here in NC there is a particular strain of peach called a Georgia Bell that is especially sweet that will be extra special for ice cream making. They ripen long about August.

So thank you very much!!
Go to Top of Page

fiddlegirl89
True Blue Farmgirl

232 Posts

Kayla
Dunnville KY
USA
232 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2012 :  7:58:47 PM  Show Profile  Send fiddlegirl89 an AOL message  Send fiddlegirl89 a Yahoo! Message
Mine is 3 cups of cream, 5 cups of milk, 2 cups of sugar, and a little vanilla. For strawberry, we just add about 4 cups of frozen, pureed (usually) strawberries. For chocolate, I add 1 cup of cocoa. We do adjust the cream/milk ratio depending on the thickness of our cream...the last batch I made, I used 4 and 4, instead of 3 and 5. The cream from the milk we're getting now isn't as thick as my cows' used to be. :(

At one point, my family had so much milk I was making ice cream a couple times a week...we'd eat it every single day in the summer.

www.crazykcreates.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic whole ice cream recipe Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page