Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Books
 Book Ideas
 e/book readers vs traditional books
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Book Ideas: Previous Topic e/book readers vs traditional books Next Topic
Page: of 3

erowease
True Blue Farmgirl

294 Posts

Lesley
Edmonds wa
USA
294 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2012 :  8:33:28 PM  Show Profile
I love mine and with my eyesight going I love the fact that I can adjust the print size. I use the rule that if its an author that I know I will re-read I buy it in paperback. If its something that I will only read once I put it on my kindle. Seems to work so far.

Lesley
"I see God in the eyes of every child...every life is precious to God, whatever the circumstances." Mother Teresa
Go to Top of Page

cynfullypurple
True Blue Farmgirl

190 Posts

Cynthia
Endwell NY
USA
190 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2012 :  04:15:21 AM  Show Profile
Hi Donna,

Looks like your new so I wanted to welcome you aboard I also wanted to say I love your little quote! It's exactly how I feel!!

Cyn~
Farmgirl #2817

"The time is when a library is a school, and the librarian is in the highest sense a teacher, and the visitor is a reader among the books as a workman among his tools." ~Melvil Dewey

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9205 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9205 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2012 :  11:41:00 AM  Show Profile
I have a Kindle and I love it! I also love to read the great books I find in various places, the thrift, antique shops, etc. But my house can only hold so many and I love having the kindle when we travel. I can download while we are on the road and I love that. I have had mine since Christmas and have downloaded many ebooks all of which were free. I collect lots of regular books and continue to do so. I guess I don't have a preference. They are both good for me. I have found that I have a tendency to buy more of the "hold in my hands books" that are older and I know I will read again. I have some that I am getting rid of because I won't read them again and they take up space. I can always read them on the kindle.

farm girl sister#43
http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
O, a trouble's a ton or a trouble's an ounce,
Or a trouble is what you make it!
And it isn't the fact that you're hurt that counts,
But only--how did you take it?

--Edmund C. Vance.
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2012 :  1:27:41 PM  Show Profile
As I'm getting older, I'm trying to make my life more simple. Farmgirl wise! I have a book going at all times. And the feel of the book in my hands just brings the book to life. Some times when I catch myself thinking over what I had just read, I find myself scanning my hand across the pages. And a time to cozy up, I want the texture of the book in my hands. I agree with everyone who loves their ebooks. It is the future of reading. I just hope the love of books stays with us.

http:///www.scatteredlittleblessings.blogspot.com

Seek reasons to Love..In every sigment of everyday-look for something that brings forth within you a feeling of Love-Abraham Hicks
Go to Top of Page

showthemlove
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Vanessa
Vermillion SD
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2012 :  3:12:40 PM  Show Profile
Dear Nancy,

This last fall, we purchased a Nook Touch, and a Kindle, for our home education purposes. I am not an avid long book reader, (I am trying, though, and wish that I would become one). We like both and are able to find different free books from each company, and sometimes we can get a better format with each reader. This is important to us because we read a bunch of books each year.

I love the e-ink. I also love the fact that my knuckles/joints don't fatigue when holding the book with one hand and petting the cat with the other.

I overall prefer the Kindle. I even ventured out and took it to church this morning because my pastor started using the ESV Bible version and I could get it for free with the Kindle. I felt pretty savy, but thankfully we didn't jump around in different to lots of different books this morning! Of course he did preach on 1 Timothy 6 ...staying content with what we have...:)

My boys do like the readers very much, and surprisingly like the Kindle over the Nook Touch.

I really want to make some felted crocheted or knitted covers for the readers...let me know if anyone has done this and what dimensions you used...

Vanessa

I love the upper Midwest!
Go to Top of Page

Lorie.Vance
True Blue Farmgirl

200 Posts

Lorie
Tampa FL
200 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2012 :  06:55:54 AM  Show Profile
Hello Everyone! I have a kindle and an ipad, but reading is just not the same for me unless I can smell the book, turn the pages, and leave it on my desk or counter open with a beautiful picture that inspires me for the day. I work outside the home and although I find technology very helpful and addictive (iphone, ipad, ipod, and mac computer), I just love books, especially old ones with the author's signature. I even have a small garden book from 1892. I picked it up at the greatest old bookstore in new orleans. You gotta see this place (I wish I could post the pic I took of it) , books everywhere, just stacks of them!

The Vintage Garden Girl @blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

summer girl
Farmgirl in Training

45 Posts

summer
llano tx
USA
45 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2012 :  9:50:38 PM  Show Profile
I don't know a lot about e readers. I have never used one. If I was going to put a house payment down on a new gaget it would need to do a lot more then downlode books and movies.

do what you love, love what you do
Go to Top of Page

cynfullypurple
True Blue Farmgirl

190 Posts

Cynthia
Endwell NY
USA
190 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2012 :  05:23:24 AM  Show Profile
Hi Summer,

If you want something to do more than just download books and watch movies, then an iPad would be the gadget for you. It gives you internet access, many apps you can download (many are free) that are very useful, plus you can put the Kindle and Nook apps on so you can in a sense have 3 different readers on one device! I have an iPhone, iPad and a Mac computer and I love them all and the way they all sync up with one another. That said, I still love holding a book in my hands and I too love the smell of a book, whether it be old or even new. I'm a lucky woman because I get to go to work everyday in my library and drink in the smell of many books mingling together on the shelves

Cyn~
Farmgirl #2817

"The time is when a library is a school, and the librarian is in the highest sense a teacher, and the visitor is a reader among the books as a workman among his tools." ~Melvil Dewey

Go to Top of Page

Apache Lady
Farmgirl in Training

47 Posts

Erika
La Puente California
USA
47 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2012 :  7:56:29 PM  Show Profile
I was a purist too, until I resigned from my job and everyone had pitched in to buy me a Kindle Fire. We had that discussion of paper versus e book, and now I'm the first to own one. I have to admit, I'm liking it. It's a little heavier than a real book, but I can take it anywhere. Plus I have games and music on it also. Handy on a 13 hour plan ride. The new ones even have movies! But it will never replace any of the books that I currently have.
Go to Top of Page

BillieJo35
True Blue Farmgirl

73 Posts

Billile Jo
Delmar de
USA
73 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2012 :  6:02:07 PM  Show Profile
I have the Kindle app on my phone. I really like it, but I still love an actual book. I just go back and fourth between the two. I find that I get the books done faster on my kindle because it goes everywhere with me, so when i am waiting for an appt, etc. I can read.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/kuntryattic

http://www.etsy.com/people/kuntryattic?ref=si_pr

http://www.examiner.com/scrapbooking-in-wilmington/billie-jo-justice
Go to Top of Page

SandraM
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Sandra
Coldwater Michigan
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2012 :  07:32:45 AM  Show Profile
I love books. I have a lot of classics in my library.
My husband bought me a Kindle last Christmas. I love it. I still buy some books but most of the books I read come on the kindle. I have a Kindle touch. I like the ink technology. I wouldn't want to read off a computer type screen. I like that I can change font size, borrow books, and download free books. I can read it on the deck in the sun with no problems, great for traveling.

Sandra
www.mittenstatesheepandwool.com
Go to Top of Page

Bella
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Karen

USA
274 Posts

Posted - May 01 2013 :  12:35:57 PM  Show Profile
I bought my husband a Kindle for his birthday a couple of years ago. He loves it and is always downloading books. He ordered a few books for me and has been letting me use his Kindle. I struggled through reading two and still have a few more to read. I do prefer paper. E-books are a lot less expensive and, as a book author, I was thrilled when my publisher added an electronic version of my novel. Several people told me that they weren't going to purchase my book until it was available in electronic format.

I might add that I have a college professor friend who goes berserk at the mention of e-books. We were at Barnes & Noble one day and I went over to the Nook stand to check out their prices. My friend stepped up and started telling the poor sales guy how much she hated e-books and went on to say that she wanted to hold a book in her hands, to smell it, to touch the paper, etc. All the while, she was slamming her hand down on the counter for emphasis. There were a couple of potential customers observing this. I was mortified and actually called the store later to apologize for her behavior.

http://www.karencecilsmith.com/

"Just living is not enough, said the butterfly. One must have freedom, sunshine and a little flower." -Hans Christian Anderson
Go to Top of Page

LeighErica
True Blue Farmgirl

306 Posts

Erica
PA
USA
306 Posts

Posted - May 01 2013 :  6:58:53 PM  Show Profile
I got a Nook HD for Christmas from my daughter. I do enjoy it much more than I originally thought I would. Anyone who knows me, knows I adore a good book, and have books all over my house. But, since I got the Nook, I do admit to reading a lot more than I used to. Being able to preview a few pages of a book has been a great tool for me...even though I could read a few pages in the store with a traditional book...I didn't really do it just because I didn't want to stand there and possibly have a clerk ask me if I needed help...that's just the way I am..lol. Also, I find I am reading books I wouldn't normally read...which has been fun too. If the cost is an issue...you can get free books, but the selections are not as ideal as if you buy a book. I used to be the person who said I would never get an e-reader...and I am proof you can change your mind. Happy reading, Erica

Farm Girl #2731
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - May 02 2013 :  3:38:22 PM  Show Profile
Book Advantages
- available with no power
- can lend out or give away when finished
- Decorative
- used books are low cost
Book Disadvantages
- heavy and hard to move
- occupy space and bookshelves
- may get damaged
E-Reader advantages
- borrow books from library without driving there
- can download to multiple devices
- self-lighting on beach, in bed, passenger in car
- lower cost than new books
- status symbol
- lightweight
- easy searching and linking
eReader disadvantages
- need to keep charged
- May need internet connection to re-download after time passed since initial download
- high cost of losing it
- no "good book" smell
- borrowing and lending a hassle
- some brands hard to see in bright sunlight
- susceptible to damage from sand, water, rain
- some titles are not available

Good thing we have the ability to have both!!!

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blogs at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com (farming) http://brightmeadowknits.blogspot.com (knitting) or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

AnnieinIdaho
True Blue Farmgirl

437 Posts

Annie
ID
USA
437 Posts

Posted - May 03 2013 :  3:48:47 PM  Show Profile
Hi Sisters,
I had thought about e-books, but when I had trouble with my IPOD and lost my music library (because I didn't want to pay to store in the sky cloud) I was glad I had the original CD's to once again reload onto a different computer. (the old computer quit) It got me to thinking that if ever the "Sky Cloud" is not available we loose everything. As print books become more obsolete, I see that there is the potential for people not to be able to access their books, music, photos, and documents that are stored on electronic tools such as Kindle, Ipad, Ipod, Computers and if they have no hard copy to reference all that information is gone (thank goodness we still have a few libraries). I can't forget the scenes in the movie Soylent Green, where a few of the elders and wisdom keepers from the old society have a hidden book depository to look up information that is kept hidden. I just wonder about as technological progress is made (all in the name of give the people as many choices they want) that the freedom to be a consumer will eventually turn on us when the "switch" is flipped and our cell phones, e-mail, banking, etc. is controlled. I think the day will come when so much is stored and accessed in the sky cloud, and in that we give away our power. No doubt these are great tools and do assist many people's needs. But lately, I see signs that there seems to be a ramping up of trying to get people to switch entirely to electronic media. This leaves nothing tangible behind for personal use. I do realize I am in an older generation mindset, but have been open to these new advances. But there is just something I sense to be careful about. Again however, I read for knowledge so that is different than reading a murder mystery. I do believe in taking what is good from sources. I see that using tools often enhance the quality of life. I just want to beware of the Sky Cloud where storage is controlled and invisible to the consumer when it can no longer be accessed. Of course, it is visable to the government with a record of who bought it and how they paid for it.
Enjoy your reading!
Annie

"The turnings of life seldom show a sign-post; or rather, though the sign is always there, it is usually placed some distance back, like the notices that give warning of a bad hill or a level railway-crossing." Edith Wharton, 1913 from 'The Custom of the Country'.
Go to Top of Page

Bella
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Karen

USA
274 Posts

Posted - May 16 2013 :  5:11:40 PM  Show Profile
I agree, Annie. It seems we're moving so fast, technically speaking, that it makes my head spin. Progress is not always progress and I feel we are headed for disaster. We are becoming more and more like robots. Just the other day a postal worker told me that she'd recently had a discussion with her teenage son, telling him that when she was his age people actually had conversations, talked to one another, looked into each eyes, saw their expressions, their smiles, tears, etc. Now it's all about texting, tweeting, whatever. Sadly, I see this even during worship service at my church. People have become so addicted to all their gadgets that they don't have time to stop and listen.

http://www.karencecilsmith.com/

"Just living is not enough, said the butterfly. One must have freedom, sunshine and a little flower." -Hans Christian Anderson
Go to Top of Page

Jeri
Farmgirl in Training

15 Posts

Jeri
Brandon MS
USA
15 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2013 :  2:20:21 PM  Show Profile
I am e-book (Kindle) reader for most things, i.e. novels, politics, but when it comes to books such as Mary Jane's books, decorating, gardening books, or recipe books, then I want the real thing. My sister refuses to go the e-book route, but I find it so handy to download from Amazon and carry one small "book" around with about 100 books on it. Never caught without something to read while getting car serviced or at a restaurant by myself.

Jeri
Go to Top of Page

eatdrinkbemary
Farmgirl in Training

22 Posts

Mary
Indianapolis IN
USA
22 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2013 :  11:47:37 AM  Show Profile
I can understand why people would choose and e-reader over a book, particularly those that travel often. But, as others have said, I enjoy the tactile sensation of a book in my hand. The suitor and I were both English majors and our home is filled with books. Some very techno savvy friends of ours have gotten rid of all of their books and just buy books for their iPads. We visited their home recently, and while it IS much less cluttered, the lack of books seemed strange to us. To each their own though, I suppose.

"Always dwelling in possibility."
Go to Top of Page

QuiltyMom
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Jan
Falls Church VA
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2013 :  4:21:24 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by jessabelluh

I am all about real books. I love the look, the feel and even the smell of them. I'd rather have a page to turn than to slide my finger across a screen. I have the Kindle app on my ipod, and I have used it for downloading free books and have read from it while sitting in the car waiting when I *gasp* forgot to bring a book ;) I don't have desire to go digital with my reading, and I feel bad for future generations that will not have the joy of an actual library building to visit.

That being said, I have heard of plenty of people who said they preferred books that ended up going digital and loving it.

~jess

I so agree! I can see the convenience of an e reader (I have an iPad) but I've never used it for that. It's kinda hard to snuggle up to a good iPad, in my opinion.
Go to Top of Page

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2013 :  8:19:32 PM  Show Profile
I just got an android tablet. Using kindle app to read, especially the free non fiction that I have downloaded.
Those of you with tablets, what are your favorite app?

Blessings,
Kristine ~ Mother of Many, Herbalist, Master Energy Intuitive

http://herbalmommasda.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Cissik
True Blue Farmgirl

578 Posts

Sylvia
Kent WA
USA
578 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2013 :  3:49:58 PM  Show Profile
I was a literature teacher for many years. I love my books. I also bought a Kobo, it's a reader from Powells book store in Portland. They were half price last Christmas. I love to travel with the Kobo. I have downloaded the Kindle software onto my computer and like to take advantage of how to books. I don't ever want to see the printed page go away. As much as I love the digital world, nothing can replace feeling paper and seeing words on the page. So I'm true to myself, I'm vintage. Love it!
Merry Christmas to all. I can hardly wait for some downtime so I can read some books piling up on my chair.

Sylvia
Kent, WA
Farm Girl #5389
http://vintagehousegoods.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

anitad
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Anita
Ligonier PA
USA
2 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2014 :  6:27:35 PM  Show Profile  Click to see anitad's MSN Messenger address
Wow! I learned a lot about the free book sites! That is good. Like everyone else, I prefer the books, especially when studying a subject. Post it notes attached to the pages make for much faster referencing than book marking. At least for me. I also have trouble with the computer screen/back lighting. I have to use an e-reader that has a screen that isn't back-lit.

The e-reader is convenient for travel, but I really prefer the books.
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2014 :  08:11:23 AM  Show Profile
I will always love the feel and beauty of books! Still enjoy them most!
But with eyesight getting worse with age etc? I do use ebook apps. There are many great books offered free and free promotionals. With limited income those are an incredible blessings that I'm very grateful for!!

Blessings,
Linda

http://grannysbirds.blogspot.com/
Country at Heart
'For I know the plans I have for you......'
Go to Top of Page

kathleenshoop
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

kathleen
oakmont pa
USA
102 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2015 :  09:04:53 AM  Show Profile
I really love both paperbacks and ebooks. I too enjoy the feel of the book in my hands, the smell, being able to dogear and write in the text. But I also adore my kindle for the ease in ordering and having whatever book I just saw advertised in my hands. Love both!

Best selling, award-winning author of historical fiction and romance! The Letter Series, Endless Love Series and More!
http://www.amazon.com/Home-Again-Endless-Love-Book-ebook/dp/B00ERBKQSO/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&sr=1-1&qid=1381435626
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Carole
New York
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2015 :  1:24:30 PM  Show Profile
Whether I choose a physical book or a downloaded book is dependent on what type of book I'm reading. If it is fiction, I'm all for the e-reader/kindle/iPad (I own an older Kindle). However, when I read non fiction, it has to be a physical book because I always seem to have conversations and write all kinds of notes. When I want to refer back to my notes, it is easier to retrieve than my kindle.

I have not read a magazine on an iPad, so I'm not sure how I feel about it. I do like that I can store a gazillion books on my Kindle for when I travel. It is a lot easier to carry than a gazillion books! lol

Have fun deciding!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com
http://www.fibrejunction.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Book Ideas: Previous Topic e/book readers vs traditional books Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page