Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Violet's Violets...spring time has sprung!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Violet's Violets...spring time has sprung! Next Topic  

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2012 :  12:25:29 PM  Show Profile
My sweet Violet and I went to pick wild sweet violets for jelly making and thought I'd give you girls a few pics. The violets sure seem blue this year--so pretty!

A "Rose" among the violets...she's a good picking partner, for sure.

We canned 10 jars of jelly last night and will do 10 more tonight--as I understand it, my husband is out picking Violets right now, so it looks like I'll be canning through the weekend as our hillside is just chock full!

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2012 :  1:59:17 PM  Show Profile
I don't know what's prettier, the violets or Violet! I love that you make violet jelly for Violet!

Audrey

Good boy Hobbs! I love and miss you.
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2012 :  2:11:04 PM  Show Profile
What beautiful pictures! Hugs to Violet and the puppy. Thanks for sharing.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Emily Anna
True Blue Farmgirl

863 Posts

Emily
Fort Atkinson WI
USA
863 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2012 :  7:38:18 PM  Show Profile
Jonni, she sure is a lil cutie! I love her purple, ruffly violet picking top, and those shoes are so cute! Rose does look like she'd be the perfect picking partner! :)

How on earth do you make violet jelly?? I have never hear of such a thing, but it sounds wonderful! Would you mind sharing the recipe?

Em
Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2012 :  8:52:20 PM  Show Profile
Too cute! How awesome is that. Violet sure looks proud holding those violets!
Hugs,

~Laurie
"Little Hen House on the Island"
Farmgirl Sister#1403

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..
Go to Top of Page

GirlwithHook
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Alyce
Madison WI
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2012 :  04:12:05 AM  Show Profile
Wow, my favorite flowers x infinity, PLUS your little girl is adorable! I have always wanted to make violet jelly. Any tips for a beginner?

A hook, a book, and a good cup of coffee....
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2012 :  04:34:36 AM  Show Profile
What an adorable violet picker! Violet jelly?? I have never heard of that but it sounds so interesting! What color does the jelly end up being? Please share more details with us.

Winnie #3109
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2012 :  06:15:45 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, girls--we've been picking violets consecutively for the last few days--she really enjoys it, but is easily distracted by "dinosaur bones"--or, rocks to us--that she finds while digging in the dirt with sticks :) Our Rose is such a good dog--she just sits on the hill, watching, or lying in the cool grass. It's very peaceful!

Violets have always been a favorite flower of mine and our lower back field is just full--and I mean full! We started making violet jelly (along with wild bramble jelly) a few years before Violet was born and when we tossed around names for girls, "Violet" was a no brainer! Thank you for your compliments--she's my own true love, that's for sure!!! @Emily Anna--those shoes are a must have--I buy all Violet's shoes from Clarks. They cost a bit more, but darn do they last! Those shoes have been around since the end of August and though she's worn them almost everyday, the sole doesn't look at all abused. I highly recommend Clarks!

Here's a pic of the violet jelly I made the night before--we made two more batches last night. I will probably take a break tonight and then pick back up tomorrow night (a rockin' Friday night at my house!).

The jelly has such a delicate flavor--it's not overly floral like Lavender can sometimes be, though I do love Lavender. We use it as a general jelly around the house--on toast, scones, bagels, etc...but my husband has even used the jelly as a glaze for a pork roast and it was amazing!

Edited by - FebruaryViolet on Mar 29 2012 06:21:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2012 :  07:26:19 AM  Show Profile
That picture is so cute, should be in a magazine!

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2012 :  08:12:23 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Nancy! I didn't plan on her wearing purple and picking Violets, but it just turned out that's what happened!

Go to Top of Page

SpyChicken
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Christine
Fond du Lac WI
USA
436 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2012 :  08:25:25 AM  Show Profile
Such sweet photos-they cheered me up today! :)
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2012 :  08:28:05 AM  Show Profile
I'm very glad we could help, Christine--here's hoping your day continues to brighten.

Go to Top of Page

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2012 :  09:41:47 AM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
i love the pic of your sweet violet and i also love seeing all the jelly you made. wish i could do that. ihave never made jelly in mylife, but i love hearing all about it. the pictures are great jonni.

love
frannie in texas
farmgirl sister#807
home of "green"crafts,
where no scrap is left behind
(http://abunnystale.wordpress.com/)

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Violet's Violets...spring time has sprung! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page