Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Head Shy Donkey Next Topic  

Bella
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Karen

USA
274 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2012 :  06:40:54 AM  Show Profile
My jenny no longer wants her head and face rubbed. She ducks her head down whenever I attempt to rub her. If I put my arm over her neck or body to hug her, she backs away. She came to my farm when she was newly pregnant and for a year she was sweet and loving and let me rub, pet, hug her, brush her, etc. She gave birth to a jack last July and he is a pistol. He has been gelded, but is still rowdy and the two play kind of rough. He is a little too rough, but they seem very attached to one another. I asked the vet about the jenny and he said that she could be in heat or it could be a behavioural problem. This has been going on for several months. The farrier is coming tomorrow, so I'm going to ask her opinion. Any thoughts from those of you who have donkeys or other equines would be greatly appreciated.

"Just living is not enough, said the butterfly. One must have freedom, sunshine and a little flower." -Hans Christian Anderson

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2012 :  07:59:02 AM  Show Profile
How old is she? Have you checked her teeth?

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, and Today is a Gift.
"Look deep into Nature, and then you will understand everything better."--Albert Einstein
http://www.etsy.com/shop/StrawHouseDesigns
Go to Top of Page

Bella
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Karen

USA
274 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2012 :  2:14:28 PM  Show Profile
Paula,

She is around five years old. When the vet came out, I did have him check her teeth and he said that everything in her mouth looked fine. He said that sometimes when they're in heat they will curl their lip and show their teeth and she has been doing that but not that often. He didn't even look at her backside to see if she showed signs of being in heat, but, then again, this is the same vet who always keeps me waiting, this last time he was two hours late with no apology. I will add that she is friendly in that she comes when I call (she knows I'll give her food or treats) and she lets me clean her hooves. She is a sweet donkey and even came to my rescue one time when some heifers were charging. I'm wondering if there's something about me, i.e., perfume, soap, shampoo, that she doesn't like. It really hurts my feelings.

"Just living is not enough, said the butterfly. One must have freedom, sunshine and a little flower." -Hans Christian Anderson
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2012 :  3:07:33 PM  Show Profile
Over the years , I've seen a few of the sweetest mares in the world, turn into a raging, hormonal, nutcases when they have had a foal, some of them went back to their sweet selves soon after foaling, and some it wasn't till they weaned their foals off, and one that I know of never was sweet again till they had an ultrasound down, and found she had cysts on her overies, once they were treated and gone she went back to her sweet self again, and was bred several times after that with no personality changes...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

Megan
True Blue Farmgirl

155 Posts

Megan
Hudson South Dakota
USA
155 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2012 :  4:23:08 PM  Show Profile
i have an old mule that is normally good with his head and ears, but if he gets alot of flys or other bugs in his ears, he is head shy. Might want to look and see. I normally put corona in the ears lightly to help heal over the sores and add a fly repellent once a week, or as the directions call.
other wise the hormones from having a colt and still being with may be the thing, we had a mare that would kill you around her colt, weaned the colt and moved her to a different farm and she was a sweet heart, stayed that way till we found her a new home(bought the mare for the colt on side at an auction)

www.rockriverexoticsandkennel.net
Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2012 :  5:03:36 PM  Show Profile
If you can sort of apply gentle pressure to different areas of her head you might be able to pinpoint a certain area. I mean maybe the vet just missed it. But be careful to turn your head slightly to the side when you check her cause one good head sling in your direction can break your nose. If there is nothing physical going on two other things come to mind. 1. It could be a dominant thing. With horses they go through a phase at about 6 to 8 yrs of age (or any age really it's just expected at that age) where they are setting up their hyarchy. This is also the age where young stallions will reenter the herd and try to take dominion and mares will establish their place in the herd. You are alpha mare in her eyes and she may be thinking that she can put you a little lower in her hyarchy. The best thing if this is the case is to keep her head below your shoulder at all times when she is near you till she learns who is the boss. Don't get your feelings hurt over it cause it is her nature and she needs to look to you for leadership. Just pull gently and constantly down on the halter till she gives then immediately release the pressure. Release of pressure is a reward to her and if you release before she gives she is training you to give up. And you will be reinforcing her dominance over you. Just ask a little at a time for a short time and before you know it she will be lowering her head around you and showing you respect. You will also notice that lowering her head will relax her and she will probably lick her lips as a sign of relaxation and that she is digesting the idea. now 2. I have a couple of horses that just really don't like to have their foreheads petted. They will accept it and are respectful but they just don't like the way it feels. Most of my horses love to have their foreheads rubbed but these 2 don't care for it too much. Hope this helps.
Laura

Horse poor in the boonies.

www.nmbarrelhorses.com
Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2012 :  5:08:03 PM  Show Profile
Also keep in mind that hugging is what lions and bears do before they kill their prey. If she was chased by a predator she may be leary of being hugged for a while. I have a mare that was chased by a lion and still 3 years later I'm still working on getting her mind straightened out.
Laura

Horse poor in the boonies.

www.nmbarrelhorses.com
Go to Top of Page

Bella
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Karen

USA
274 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2012 :  5:32:03 PM  Show Profile
Thanks to all. You've certainly given me something to think about. I am going to do an examination of the inside of the ears and I'll see how she does when I put the halter on her tomorrow. Will post after the farrier comes. It will be interesting to see how she acts around her, and I'm curious to hear what the farrier has to say about the behaviour. She doesn't own donkeys, only horses. However, she does work on a lot of donkeys.

One other thought. Since the gelding still tries to nurse, this could be part of the problem. He's too old to be doing that, but the way my farm/pasture/stable is set up I can't easily separate them, especially since their source of water comes from one pond.

Go to Top of Page

BlackHorseFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

91 Posts

Elizabeth
Chicago IL
USA
91 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2012 :  05:58:39 AM  Show Profile
I got my jenny when she had a colt on her side so I don't know what she was like before she had him, but after he was weaned she was a lot more affectionate.

Donkeys are horrible about weaning their young, they will just keep letting them nurse. I had a mini jenny who had a jack and finally had to separate them. I hated to do it, but jennies just don't do it on their own. I have read that even after you get the foal weaned, if you put them together again the foal will start nursing again. Now my experience is limited to that one jenny and jack, what others I know who have raised them say and what I read about them, so somebody here may have more donkey experience than I.

I would not be surprised if he is biting her in play and she just has tender spots.
Go to Top of Page

Bella
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Karen

USA
274 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2012 :  6:21:38 PM  Show Profile
Thank you, Elizabeth. She has seemed friendly the last couple of days. You are probably right about the tender spots. Her colt kicked her in the face twice last week. I don't know why she puts up with it. I have seen her go after him, bite and even kick him when he acts up. The farrier trimmed both donkey's hooves last week. I found that tying them to separate posts works well. She couldn't advise me on the head shy problem, but she did say that the jenny seems to like having the colt around because she puts up with his mistreatment. I haven't noticed him trying to nurse lately. The pastures are so lush with grass right now that perhaps that is keeping him satisfied and busy.

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Head Shy Donkey Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page