Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Embarassing Problem Next Topic  

Mad Typist
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Faith
Vermont
55 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2012 :  10:49:51 AM  Show Profile
My son kindly informed me today that our house smells of "stinky old dog" and apparently his friend (after prompting) agreed with his assessment! I haven't noticed it myself but we DO have a 14 year-old greyhound with atrocious breath and a 12 year-old beagle mix whose prone to anal gland problems, so he probably has a valid point. My question is, does anyone have a suggestion for ways to make our house smell fresher without plugging in or lighting up anything toxic? Please help - I'm mortified!

Back to the basics...four chickens, two dogs, one boy and a DH

grammytammy
True Blue Farmgirl

585 Posts

Tamara
Binghamton ny
USA
585 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2012 :  11:38:40 AM  Show Profile
Vinegar scrub for the floors and any washables.

FarmGirl 2495
God loved us so much He gave His only son to die in our stead.
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2012 :  11:52:15 AM  Show Profile
sprinkle baking soda on all carpeted areas, leave on for 12 hours, or as long as you can, vaccum up and repeat as often as needed, anal glands can be drained by you, have a vet or ? show you how, dog with bad breath, does he have bad teeth, gum disease, both can cause heart trouble, have them cleaned by your vet, and all bad teeth removed...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

Mad Typist
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Faith
Vermont
55 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2012 :  12:11:28 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the tips, ladies - looks like I'll be stocking up on baking soda. The old girl definitely has gum problems but is too fragile for any more gum surgeries and the beagle w problem glands usually expresses them herself w/ her jobs (sorry!). You've made me realize, though, that the greyhound has a big pillow she lies on all day and that's probably absorbed quite a bit of stink as well, so I'll be sure to clean that regularly from now on. I appreciate your help!

Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2012 :  6:38:10 PM  Show Profile
Vinegar does it for me, too! And, once my Luck Dog messed all over the carpet in one of the bedrooms. I followed Tina's advice about the baking soda, and it worked like a charm.
Good luck.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Mad Typist
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Faith
Vermont
55 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2012 :  7:09:16 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Marly - fingers crossed! (And the stinky saga continues: Came home from shopping tonight to find that the big pillow had somehow managed to poop all over itself)! ;0

Go to Top of Page

Prairie Gypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Tammy
Wolford North Dakota
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2012 :  8:36:54 PM  Show Profile
I agree with the baking soda and to boost it you can add any essential oil that you like. I like citrus-y smells like grapefruit, lemon, lemongrass, and tangerine or orange. Make sure to wash the dog bedding frequently as it holds a lot of nasty smells. I use Febreeze on our furniture. I know some don't like using it but it does work. Getting rid of carpets and rugs that hold smells would help if you're thinking about replacing flooring.

Farmgirl Sister # 2363
http://twilightburrough.blogspot.com/
Warren, MI
Go to Top of Page

Mad Typist
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Faith
Vermont
55 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2012 :  04:36:01 AM  Show Profile
Tx, Rose - think I can scare up some tangerine essential oil here...guess what I'm going to be doing today!

Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2012 :  6:40:05 PM  Show Profile
Excellent ideas above, especially baking soda & vinegar with a nice essential oil added. Can your dogs stand a trip to the groomers for baths, clipping, tooth brushing, advice about general de-stinkifying etc.? They often have tips even vets don't think of. Also, you might try some of the enzyme cleaners usually marketed for cat smells. Can the cpver of the dog bed be laundered? If not, you might want to get or make a cover that you can zip off or unbutton to throw in the laundry once a week or so.
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Embarassing Problem Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page