Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Sugar Free Christmas Cookie Recipes Needed
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Sugar Free Christmas Cookie Recipes Needed Next Topic  

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2012 :  09:51:15 AM  Show Profile
Hi girls -

I know that I can go online and do a search for sugar free Christmas cookies, but there will be none better than those that are tried and true and shared by you! Do any of you have any really good sugar free Christmas cookies you'd like to share? I'm having a get-together with a few Moms and some of the little girls in our neighborhood in a couple of weeks where we're all going to spend the day making cookies and Christmas crafts. (I did invite the boys, too, of course - but they'd all rather just wait and eat the cookies when we're done!) One of the little girls is a severe diabetic. She loves to bake and always makes the most wonderful things for her family and friends, but she never gets to eat any of it. I would really appreciate any recipe you'd like to share so that she can enjoy them, too. One thing I'd like, especially, is a good Gingerbread man cookie (and decorating glaze) recipe - it's a tradition at our home to make and decorate TONS of them and to give one to every guest who visits our home during the holiday season! She always takes one and puts it on her tree (we always tie them with red ribbon for hanging), but she never gets to partake of them in it the way everyone else does. I sure would like to change that this year! :)

Thanks so much for your help!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Edited by - Ninibini on Nov 16 2012 09:53:05 AM

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2012 :  10:12:30 AM  Show Profile
it's more about carbs then sugar. Carbs can come from even "sugar free" ingredients.

It's hard to get a good sugar free cookie, I'll tell ya. cause of the texture.

I'm not sure off the carbs in this, but I've been able to cut down the sugar quite a bit.

That's the no bake pb oatmeal cookies. I was able to use less then half the regular amount of sugar, instead of two cups of sugar, I use 3/4 cup of splenda, and 3/4 cup sugar. I think, it was last year, and I worked with it for quite a while to get it just right, and I don't think I wrote it down! DUH! You may want to try it with even just 1/2 a cup of sugar, instead of 3/4. I will say even my fails weren't awful it was mainly texture that was off when I went too low on the sugar.

JoAnna Lund has a lot of sugar free recipes, for cookies and such and like I said, mainly it's a texture thing.

And diabetics don't need to be totally sugar free, they mainly need to watch their over all carbs. I'm a type one diabetic. The thing to remember with sweets such as cookies, is to limit to a reasonable serving size (2 or 3), try to eat some protein at the same meal with it, and make sure to make lower carb choices for the rest of the meal.

For instance say I go to a wedding, I LOVE wedding cake. So I have a slice-and lots of people think they need to come and tell me I'm not supposed to have it cause I'm diabetic! Well I will say my blood sugars are probably lower then their's! Cause I keep it in control! So what I do is I plan my meal for the wedding cake. I make sure to have lean protein at that meal, and I skip the potatoes, rolls/bread, corn, all over starchy foods at the meal, and instead choose the green or lower carb veggies for my sides, like green beans, salad, etc. And save ALL my carbs for my slice of cake. I don't do that every day but once in a while at a wedding or such. Cause I don't bake cake at home, and only have it at such occasions. Non-diabetics don't understand that I forgoed all my other carbs for the one slice of cake at that special meal.

So her parents may want to think about that for special days, just once in a while. Plan her meals that day to be lower carb, and higher in veggies, and protein, just for that day.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2012 :  11:39:22 AM  Show Profile
Oh, that's right, Heather! I forgot all about that! Thank you for reminding me! It's really tough to find things that she can have. Thank you for the recipe and the JoAnna Lund referral. I'll check her out, for sure!

I am actually thinking of maybe making snowmen out of popcorn this year, using marshmallows and butter - like rice krispie treats; or even by using rice krispies... Do you think that might be okay???

Thanks so much!

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2012 :  7:10:56 PM  Show Profile
popcorn would be better nutritionally then rice krispies, however, in moderation neither are that bad really. A nice portion of rice krispy treat is only about 100 calories, and 20 carbs. (a little over 1 starch/carb choice). To make it stretch a little more you could add nuts or other lower carb items to stretch it out a bit more.

Cream pies are the easiest to make sugar free and lower carb cause of the sugar free pudding selections available. And cool whip is pretty low carb, and so is whipped cream. If you can find Hip Whip it's a all natural sugar free cool whip (produced by a different company) I believe it is only sold in Whole Foods stores though, but I am not positive.

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2012 :  7:14:04 PM  Show Profile
oh and I am also not positive on the carb count, but I was thinking of this year making gingerbread cookies, using maybe only 1/2 the sugar, and 1/4 of splenda. And whole wheat pastry flour for the flour. (whole wheat, will add fiber which every gram of fiber negates each gram of carb, so for every gram of fiber you can subtract one gram of carb, then the pastry kind is lighter then regular whole wheat-meaning a bit more airy so the cookies won't be so heavy). And gingerbread is by nature a lower sugar cookie. I will probably make frosting with half sugar and half splenda as well for them.

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2012 :  06:57:29 AM  Show Profile
Thank you so much for the info, Heather! Awesome! I will definitely try substituing part Splenda for the sugar... Does that mean the Splenda wouldn't be good all by itself, then? In the commercials, it seems as though they suggest using equal substitutions. Also, I do use whole wheat in my gingerbread cookies, so that is SUCH a relief. I use molasses, too, though - is that okay for her, do you know? Or should I just look for another recipe?

I really appreciate your help!

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2012 :  07:41:34 AM  Show Profile
Molasses does have carbs, BUT, you use so little and it adds so much sweetness and flavor to the cookie for the small amount needed, that I think that it cuts the amount of sugar needed a lot and so therefor is good one to keep in. And it also adds a lot of iron and other nutrients.

Well Splenda in a lot of things you can use just splenda. For instance in a lot of cakes you can just use splenda, in jams you can just use splenda, and well a lot of things. BUT, for cookies if you want a cookie texture all splenda doesn't work too well and you get a more cake like texture then cookie texture. There is a lot of cookies though I make into cake and 100% splenda works fine for them. The other part though of 100% splenda, is depending on the recipe, any more then 1/2 a cup per a regular recipe (of course the size would change if you were doubling, tripling, etc the recipe) can cause a real bitter after taste. Keeping it to around 1/2 a cup (I've been able to go as high as 3/4 cup on some recipes) ensures you don't get a ickey aftertaste. That's the reason that I don't make 100 percent splenda frosting, would take more then 3/4 of a cup and would come out with a aftertaste.

Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2012 :  08:12:29 AM  Show Profile
I've found that in baking for my diabetic hubs that t get a pretty good balance and carb count isn't too bad if you use a blend of things. I tend to use raw or brown sugar in most things and blend it with baking splenda to cut the carbs down and cover up the splenda weird after taste. I also use gluten free a lot because of my own allergies. Almond flour, either alone or blended with wheat flour is low in carbs and can also lower the over all carb count. I tend to wing it in the kitchen and just take my lumps if something doesn't turn out right, but I thought I'd add my experience with diabetic carb balancing

http://www.diabeticlivingonline.com/diabetic-recipes/holiday/our-best-christmas-cookie-recipes/

Here are a bunch of lower carb cookie recipes and I'm going to give a bunch the good ol' try for Drew. Like I said tho' I tend to monkey with recipes to see how low I can get the carbs. My sweetie is a snackster and I like to be able to give him a big handful of cookies =)

I'm still looking for a good gingerbread cookie recipe that I like the ingredients of, but I hope that this gives you a few choices to work with.

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
http://thegimpyfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
http://pinterest.com/annikaloveshats/

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2012 :  08:19:33 AM  Show Profile
Baking Splenda is different, you can use more baking splenda then regular splenda, cause it's half sugar and half splenda already. So you can use a bit more of it with out aftertaste. But, I find it cheaper to just buy granulated splenda, and then cut it with cheaper sugar, or with different sugars, like raw sugar, brown sugar etc. Brown sugar splenda though for sure keep to a min use cause it will for sure give a aftertaste too, even though it's half sugar and half splenda too.

Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2012 :  09:01:12 AM  Show Profile
Right Heather! I forgot to mention that about the baking splenda. Thanks!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
http://thegimpyfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
http://pinterest.com/annikaloveshats/

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2012 :  09:32:40 AM  Show Profile
Welcome, I will post my gingerbread cookie recipe later. I actually got it from my child's school cirr, from Calvert. She's in kindergarten and for one of her days of school they had her make gingerbread cookies. (helps manipulation strengths, and be able to actually write better, by manipulating dough and such). And they were so yummy I decided we would make more!

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Sugar Free Christmas Cookie Recipes Needed Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page