doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2014 :  12:28:01 PM  Show Profile
I've been reading about ashwagandha. Anybody have experience with this supplement ? Trying to find something for sleep, the usual herbs don't work. This seems to be a miracle drug for everything that ails you. Anyone have negative effects?

GG

Edited by - doll58maker on Mar 23 2014 3:26:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2014 :  12:38:48 PM  Show Profile
Jan,

I am so sorry to hear about that. Stay strong. We are here for you when you are ready.

Marie, Sister #5142

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2014 :  3:22:58 PM  Show Profile
Gosh, it does seem like our troubles come in bunches. Jan if you feel like looking in, please know we are grieving with you. Words fail at times like this.

Mar, I hope things are looking up for you. Ginny, about time for a check in from you. I was wondering about keeping a few rabbits when we go back to country living full time. I'm thinking you might be a wealth of information on that subject.

Forever the optimist, I ordered some heirloom seeds today. From organic sanctuary.com Reading books on goats, chickens and beekeeping. Looking over the MJ site for information and I didn't realize how huge it is. Too big to navigate. I rarely venture off this particular thread.

Yesterday was warm and balmy. We went to the botanical gardens and I took a few pics which I'm going to try to post. They now have an area for fairy gardens and houses. I will try to post a couple here and more on my blog. The visit boosted our spirits a bit. B is still slightly under the weather but I'm feeling fine today.

Today it is cold and cloudy again. Still no rain. When it finally does rain, it will probably flood.

GG

Edited by - doll58maker on Mar 23 2014 3:34:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

Kirksmom71
True Blue Farmgirl

873 Posts

Mel
Dallas Texas
USA
873 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2014 :  3:32:54 PM  Show Profile
OMG Jan.....I feel for you!! I know what it feels like to receive that phone call that your grown son is dead. And so sorry about the circumstances....drugs also related to my boys' death. If I can do anything for you...let me know....I do live in Texas. Email me if you would like to talk. Thinking and praying for you and family!

My best to all,
Mel

Sassy City Girl with Farmgirl Fantasies!
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2014 :  3:42:50 PM  Show Profile
Jan, as Gypsy said, there are no words for what you are going through. I know as most of us are mothers... we get it. Prayers for you!

I worked out in the yard a bit today. It was looking a bit trashy. Then I got side tracked and ended up in the garage. My mom has stashed so much crap in there. She has unopened bank statements from almost 20 years ago. I tossed them. I cleaned out stuff I knew she wouldn't miss. I don't think she has an idea of half of what is out there. So much is just thrown into boxes. I found a whole box of just old paper plates and napkins. I don't think she will be missing that.
But I felt good about doing the clean up. I just have to make sure the garbage man comes before she does. She will be here next weekend so I'm ok.

I did some sewing today. I have another simple top done. I also did some more organizing in the sewing. It is a never ending battle. I have no idea how I'm going to pull this off in a trailer. I will have to condense my sewing supplies big time.

Gypsy, the gardens look so inviting. I hope it helped B feel better to get outside. Sure doesn't look like Texas.

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com
Handmade stuff http://www.curiousorangecat.etsy.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2014 :  3:51:45 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

Jan I am sorry to hear that your son has died. I remember the sadness in your posts when you wrote about not seeing him in so many years. Maybe send your grandson a note and mention that he is always welcome to visit. ((((((( Jan))))))))))

Last night I posted and checked back and today there are four posts ahead of my last one that were not there last night. Baffling to me.

Gypsy I think if I were starting out again at the farm as you are I would not do goats because you have to plan for them when there is no forage and water. Here we do not have to worry about the water just the feed. I would go for the bees and the hens. You can always eat the hens if they become too much bother. I remember you writing about hawks eating hens. Do you have a way to string netting so they will not be tasty treats? Around here people advertise two year old hens and older for free. I take those because I do not mind the wild things eating them and hope that the younger hens are left alone. I do not know a lot about raising bees in Texas. There must be a Bee Association near you at the farm who can offer lessons and guidelines on their care. We keep bees and they are very low maintenance.

Marie - you survived the weekend? I hope you laughed some.

Mar - you must be spinning at a fast rate now with the closing so near. (((((Mar)))))) Soon this will be a memory to laugh about.

Bunny - good to read you so excited.

Today was a gorgeous spring day here in the hills. I took the little boys down the road to an Equinox celebration. The snow is still 4 feet deep. They listened to the return of the sun story and then there was an egg hunt. The Dad tossed the eggs in four areas for different age groups. the children had a great time trying to run through the snow as they sank up to their behinds. The temperatures were in the twenties so we did not get cold.

Apparently Suss Brim which dd had tattooed on her behind is ghetto slang for grab a big handful. She has always had a round bum and now that she is mature it is a very round bum. She appreciates it and is aware that others do as well. The tattoo is not visible to the general populace. We are amused.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6438 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6438 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2014 :  3:56:58 PM  Show Profile
Jan I am so sorry to hear of the lose of your son, you are in my heart, thoughts and prayers.
Hugs,
Debbie

"BE KIND TO PEOPLE BECAUSE EVERYBODY YOU KNOW IS ENGAGED IN REALLY TOUGH BATTLES."

www.etsy.com/shop/MountainWingsAntique
http://debbielynnf.blogspot.com
http://myworld.ebay.com/debbt
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2014 :  5:30:43 PM  Show Profile
Oh dear Jan. Love ya. So sorry.
marianne
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2014 :  6:09:52 PM  Show Profile

Edited by - doll58maker on Sep 25 2019 11:26:37 AM
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2014 :  8:07:46 PM  Show Profile

Edited by - doll58maker on Sep 25 2019 11:27:11 AM
Go to Top of Page

janiee
True Blue Farmgirl

820 Posts

Janie
Shawnee Oklahoma
USA
820 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2014 :  06:51:54 AM  Show Profile
oh Jan, my love and prayers are with you and your family..I am so sorry for your loss.
Mar, i don't know what to say about Loaell. I just want you to know that we are here for you and please take care of yourself. we care very much about you. a couple of months after my beloved passed, i woke up in bed hearing a strange noise, it took a while but i finally realized that strange noise was me and i think i was having convulstions from my blood sugar dropping too low. I finally managed to call 911 after 16 tries (i counted the next day) and they had to break into my house thru the garage to get to me. my blood sugar at that time was 30 and i ended up at the emergency room. it scared me so much because there was no one else there that could have helped me, i cannot imagine going thru that with another person and them acting like that. i am so sorry and i hope that he just doesn't know how to take care of someone in that condition. sometimes it is so hard to care for someone and they just don't act right.
met my sister and her hubby and nephew saturday and came home with about 150 lbs of ground deer meat and 65 steaks plus 3 dozen ears of corn and 180 sausage patties. my little stand alone freezer is full! i am so blessed.
still have not received my glasses. they were supposed to be ready last friday but something happened and they were not. hope to get them this week.
jan, again, i am so sorry for your loss.
janiee
farmgirl #390
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2014 :  11:06:08 AM  Show Profile
Good afternoon everyone,

I had to write a note for DsT to be able to ride a different bus away from the school so I popped on.

Gypsy, why would you get females and not wethers. They might be cheaper and if you are not planning on milking they will eat the brush for you and if you get tired of them you can always eat them.

I have been thinking about Lowell. My friends do you think Lowell has so many issues because his self esteem is so low he does not think he is worth caring about and that he has had so many failures that he needs to ruin something before someone else can ruin it for him? I recognize that Marie and he have been together for 10+ years now but is he just worried it will all blow up and he will be left alone and that is why he distances himself. I am sure Marie has thought all of this through quite thoroughly and is very bright about people so weigh in here. I believe that Marie would not be partnered with someone whom she thought was worthless and unable to be a contributor. There has to be hope for him.

Bunny, good for you cleaning out the refuse. It will be gone and no one the wiser. I think Rubbermaid bins are a solution to your storage problems in the little house as long as you label them and are organized. YOu could put them under the little house.

I am still chuckling about ddK's booty. Sometimes letting a child do something and allowing her to live with the consequences is the best path.

Have a good afternoon.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Oggie
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Ginny
Machias Maine
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2014 :  1:46:54 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies,

I guess I spoke to soon. I keep forgetting, I'm on a rollercoaster so there is no apparent recovery where you can become sane!

Saturday I had to take David to the ER and they put him in an ambulance and sent him back to Bangor. I am waiting to find out if I get to drive up there this evening (hope not) or tomorrow, or what is going on. I really don't like EMMC as they are so slow and disorganized. He's been there since Sat. around midnight and they still can't tell us what's up! While bathing him on Sat. I found a new "sore" and his good foot was all swollen and red as was his calf so I don't take chances now and to the ER we went. I had planned on going up there this am so work was once again put aside. Then I woke up and could barely get up at all so I've stayed in bed. It has taken two pain pills for me to be able to walk, pack, shower, etc... Now I'm waiting to hear when I have to go where. Bed is where I'd like to go.

I don't know what I've done to my L4, L5 area of my back but it's excruciatingly painful. I got my truck stuck yesterday in the unplowed road of our old trailer park and a friend came and towed it out and we took the 8 sand bags out of the back so maybe that was it. They are only 70 lb. bags! But it hurt before that, but not this bad. I know I shouldn't have driven in there but there was a car that I had not noticed before there and thought that someone parked there and was hunting in my woods. Since we don't allow hunting I wanted to check it out. No one at the car and no foot prints to the woods but I got stuck.

We have another winter storm coming tomorrow evening into all day Wed., and am looking at about 8 - 12" of snow with hurricane force winds so if he's coming home, it better be early tomorrow, otherwise they can keep him.

I favorited Mel's Etsy page, it's cute and I LOVE the apron made out of jeans. I'd buy it but can't afford anything these days, sorry. I hope it sells soon for you though.

Bunny good luck and have a ball with your son! My SIL got done with boot camp and was allowed home for about 4 months before they shipped his unit overseas.

Gypsy, DD has conversion disorder this week. They thought it was MS, then a liver disease, and now conversion disorder. She can't walk or use her hands right now. She's as bad off as her Dad so it's just more stress. My latest blog www.caringbridge.org look up Davidbrownmaine and the latest will give you a quicker crash course of the last 6 months.

Holly, how does DS paly baseball this time of year? Is your snow gone because ours isn't. I don't miss all the sports events for kids at all but I have been known to go to friends still on to show them my interest and get out for a few hours. But around here it's still basketball even though the tourneys are over.

Time to call back up there and see what I'm doing. Take care everyone!

Ginny
Farmgirl #2343
www.thedewhopinn.com
www.etsy.com/shop/cybertiques
www.etsy.com/shop/thedewhopinn

"The business of life is the acquisition of memories. In the end, that's all there is." Mr. Carson, Downton Abby

"Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it." Elwood P. Dowd (Jimmy Stewart) in the Movie Harvey
Go to Top of Page

Oggie
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Ginny
Machias Maine
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2014 :  1:50:42 PM  Show Profile
Janet, I am so sorry to hear about your grandson. My heart aches for you! I will keep you all in my prayers. I didn't seen it sooner, so sorry!

Ginny
Farmgirl #2343
www.thedewhopinn.com
www.etsy.com/shop/cybertiques
www.etsy.com/shop/thedewhopinn

"The business of life is the acquisition of memories. In the end, that's all there is." Mr. Carson, Downton Abby

"Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it." Elwood P. Dowd (Jimmy Stewart) in the Movie Harvey
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2014 :  3:46:12 PM  Show Profile
Ginny that is terrible to have both your family members suffering so much. I really admire your strength. Seems like a lot of problems going on for so many of us. I've managed to put some emotional distance between me and my family problems for the sake of my own sanity. Things I can not control I have finally learned to not take responsibility for. And I try not to feel guilty when my life is going well and

Holly , I might opt to go with wethers to see how it works out. Definitely a lot cheaper. I thought I would get two female kids and have the option to breed them later to sell or increase the herd. Of course if they produce males then they would have to be sold or wethered. I'm looking at lauva's Pygmy goats in Seguin Texas which isn't too far to go get them. I'd like to try pygoras but there aren't any close enough to drive to pick up and I do not want to have an animal shipped. I might buy two full size registered angora females and when they are old enough, get a registered male Pygmy but I don't know if they would breed true with small size and good coats. I'm enjoying my research anyway.

This thing just posted before I was ready.

GG

Edited by - doll58maker on Mar 24 2014 4:32:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2014 :  4:31:22 PM  Show Profile
You just didn't know you were ready , G. And your mom and brother are living the life they have chosen. Do your best, shake the guilt, control is not in your hands.

Holly, I wish I had a reason for such a tattoo. I have the flattest rear you have ever seen. As does, dh. Somewhere, dd inherited some curves and it was obvious at about two years old that she was gonna have a bit of a caboose. K may never regret this tattoo. But, again, she might. Who knows? She must feel quite thrilled with her secret and autonomy. I sure you got cool mama points for the smile you gave her. I applaud everyone who is proudly strutting their stuff!

Ginny, just keep going girl. What's the other choice? The only way out of these problems is by going through them. We are here when you find the time.

G, I had a friend who raised Nubians. They seemed so clean. Smart, personable. When our older horse, Sunny, passes, we will get Tahoe a paddock buddy. Probably a goat! Maybe you will be the expert on them by then.

mar
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2014 :  4:35:15 PM  Show Profile
Ah, Mar, you are too quick for me. I went back and deleted the family dirty laundry after I read it.

You have to get 2 goats. They don't do well without a goat buddy.
GG

Edited by - doll58maker on Mar 24 2014 4:36:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2014 :  4:43:50 PM  Show Profile
Hi girls!!! I had such a stressful day waiting all day for my DIL to call and let me know about the funeral arrangements and such. My son here was so upset waiting all day too. I had him come over for supper and he called my DIL. Well, my son is NOT DEAD!!!! He came out of it and was not brain dead after all like they thought. He is still having a few problems lifting his hand to his mouth, or remembering some things, but they are sure he will make a full recovery. Now he will need lots of counseling. I did not contact the rest of my family yet, now I am glad I did not. Never under estimate the power of prayer!!!!! It really is a miracle that DS is alive and survived all of that, since his body temp. was down to 85 degrees when they found him. I have so much weight lifted off of me right now, I could go out and dance!!!! (Except there is no place here to go to dance!!)
Thank you each and every one of you for the support and well wishes. I am just so relieved right now.
I will post more later,

Jan
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2014 :  4:47:25 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

The baseball team practices inside in the gym or in the batting cage. They run outside. The school is on a hill so no matter which way they run to return to the school is up hill. really uphill no gradual about it at all. If the team members do not do their school work they are required to run suicides, laps around the gym and many push ups. Ds says he is doing his school work now. lol I am glad that someone else is helping to take responsibility for his completion of his school work. He is so disorganized and opinionated right now that is it hard for him. Although it is better now than it was 6 weeks ago.

Another lovely but frigid day here on the hill farm. The high was +8 F. The low -4. The sun was brilliant and the wind light.

My chiropractor once told me to not lift more than half my body weight. I think dear Ginny that you should not lift more than half your ideal body weight at any one time. Nor should you twist in awkward ways. Time will heal it but geez you did not need it right now. Just as life was settling down some you are thrown another twist. I would suggest that you write a paragraph or so to read out loud that succinctly states your ideal life for the near future. Read it outloud each morning and evening. I think Bunny did something like this. As you go to bed envision one piece of it being reality. Bunny also has a paragraph she has read daily for a while. I can not even remember the name of it but her life has changed for the better. {{{{{{{Ginny}}}}}}}} tell the universe what you want.

Gypsy if you got a big goat the B could train it to pull a little cart and it could help earn its keep.

hugs to you all.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2014 :  4:54:09 PM  Show Profile
Jan I am happy for you that your DS is not dead. What was his wife thinking when she called you before he was pronounced?

I hope you will have regular contact with him now.

Maybe you should still write your grand son and tell him he is welcome to visit or call anytime.

Hugs to you.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2014 :  5:51:03 PM  Show Profile
Jan, I hope everyone looks at this as a fresh start. I am so happy for you!
mar
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2014 :  5:59:42 PM  Show Profile
Before my dad died, the doctors said he would not live and we were planning the funeral. He lived another four years.

It's time you had some good news, Jan. I think your DIL has s*** for brains.

GG
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2014 :  7:27:06 PM  Show Profile
Jan, what wonderful news! I hope you can go see him. Prayers do work.

Gypsy, I had a friend with goats. They lived in an area with rattle snakes. They chose goats because they are more likely to survive a bite. They actually had one get bitten and he survived. However, we could never turn our backs to the billy.

I finished another dress today. But I pooped out earlier than I wanted. I have been having a hard time with my energy and pain levels for some reason. I need to get over that before next week.

Jan, I'm so happy for you. I hope you can make this work towards a new beginning with your son and his family.

I'm hoping everyone is waiting for their tax returns and next month sales will kick in.

Gypsy, you do say it like it is. Love it!!

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com
Handmade stuff http://www.curiousorangecat.etsy.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2014 :  8:08:06 PM  Show Profile
Bunny, we have rattlesnakes too. Another reason for goats is they say the snakes will be more likely to stay away from areas where goats are walking about all the time. I used to have cats who would deliver baby snakes to the porch in the springtime. Dead, usually. Not seen the momas or pop pas but see babies almost every

Edited by - doll58maker on Sep 15 2019 2:27:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2014 :  8:14:49 PM  Show Profile

Edited by - doll58maker on Sep 15 2019 2:28:15 PM
Go to Top of Page