rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2014 :  7:52:09 PM  Show Profile
Yea, don't you love the hinges on her shed?

I think beekeeping will be great, G. And it is so important to get those populations back up! And a few bucks off your taxes is always nice!

So two new water uprights and no leaks. Chocolate man is good at those type of things. Tomorrow I will cook scallopini for dd's boyfriend's birthday. They will visit Saturday. I think the guys are going to hit another movie...

Holly, I have had a good experience with IUDs, Mirena to be exact. Dd swears by birth control pills. I can understand her wanting a woman of color doctor.
mar
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2014 :  9:53:27 PM  Show Profile
With the rain we've had lately, I seem to be thinking about water. Yes, water--that miraculous liquid we take for granted and couldn't live without. I'm lucky that i live by a river and we have good quality water and lots of it. The weird thing is, people think that water has to be filtered and chemicals added to it before we can drink it. Do they realize that when the world was created, all fresh water was pure just as is? It's only our "civilization" that has rendered water undrinkable unless it's treated. That's why i grow my garden organically, so I don't add to the water pollution. And I really kind of despise the way we've paved over all the ground, which means the water just runs off when it rains and then we complain about flooding. Flooding is a big problem where I live. I know we can't go back to the garden of Eden, but gee, can't we just use a little less concrete and ban Round-Up? Can't we make all rooftops "green" so they can absorb some of the rain and we can grow food on our roofs? Lots of cities are doing it. I love the way it smells after a cleansing rain, and I love my river and I love walking on the soft grass after a rain. I've been replacing mu usual soda with a drink I found that is flavored carbonated water--no calories, no sweeteners and no sodium. I'm drinking more water to flush all that sugar and caffeine out of my body. I'm sure that's part of the reason why I feel groggy and unsettled a lot of the time. Plus it's hard to focus when your brain is on sugar. It takes effort to make these changes but I think the effort is worth it. So here's to water--cleansing, pure, and natural. We can go for weeks without food but try going without water for a couple days. water. It does a body good.
Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2014 :  09:42:08 AM  Show Profile
You are so right, Cindy. There has been some progress in the March against Monsanto, but a lot more is needed.

We do have a lot of protected aquifers and watersheds here.

I think chlorine and fluoride are very bad for you. We do, however, filter our well water before we drink it. There are high levels of radon in the water here. I don't think there is much we can do about that.

Right about the caffeine and sugar, too. Those are my weaknesses. My most favorite drink is strong coffee with a good shot of sweetened condensed milk in it. First introduced to me as Vietnamese coffee. I was immediately addicted. We have something here called Bluebell Homemade Vanilla ice cream that also I'm highly addicted to. But, Marie, I don't eat donuts and bacon, lol. It sounds like the crack cocaine of food.

Mar, you sound better. Bunny is right-- they just have got to keep busy at something. Be glad he's not a couch potato with the TV blaring all day long. Just having it at night is too much for me.

We got the little plug-in Roku yesterday at Best Buy and it seems to work just fine. I let B choose what to watch and it was so disgusting I had to leave and retire to the bedroom, so I was sound asleep when he finally came to bed. Those early Romans were bloodthirsty, incestuous evil people who deserved to fall. At least the Hollywood version. Tonight I will choose what we watch and I'm sure he will sleep on the couch the whole time. Oh, well......

GG
Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2014 :  10:11:34 AM  Show Profile
Good afternoon. A short break from my garden and kitchen duties. :) Still in my pj's but it just means I have been too busy to change clothes. Yes, I make trips to the garden, chicken yard, and the mailbox in my pj's. I don't really have much motivation today, but the rhubarb was ready to be picked and the neighbor asked for an apple pie. I picked rhubarb and make a syrup from it. I have always liked rhubarb fresh from the garden with salt shaken on it, or I like it mixed with strawberries in jam. I don't like rhubarb pie. This year I found a recipe for rhubarb tea and a rhubarb syrup. Love them both. So today I am making rhubarb syrup to mix with seltzer water or sprite for a refreshing drink.

GG- I love our ROKU box. We have one hooked up to every TV. I was lucky enough to find one at a thrift shop. I use it to listen to Pandora alot. I also listen to my favorite radio staion back in Illinois on I #9829; Radio.

Patty #1840

http://ladygonegreen.blogspot.com/

A rind is a terrible thing to waste. Compost.

When they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, “Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted.”
-Jesus in John 6:12 NIV Bible
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2014 :  11:18:33 AM  Show Profile
We watched the first episode of The Good Wife and enjoyed it, especially when we realized it was commercial free. Tonight it's his turn to choose. We are now doing the same thing with menu selection. Why didn't I think of this before. Tonight I'm doing one of Mary Janes bake overs using turkey sausage, potatoes, broccoli, cauliflower and onions. One dish. I was cleaning out my books and found that recipe book she has for all the bake overs and chill overs. It's great for us both now that there is a gluten free mix.

Patty I didn't think I liked rhubarb at all but my DIL makes a strawberry rhubarb pie to die for. I've never made a decent pie. Could never master the crust. My mom made the best pies on the planet, ever! My home ec teacher who was supposed to be teaching us to cook, would hire mom to make her two lemon meringue pies almost every Friday, which we were sure she passed off to her guests as her own. My mom worked in the school lunch room so everybody knew she could cook. She was an amazing cook but today her food isn't fit to eat and she does not know the difference. So sad.

Hope everyone is having a good Labor Day holiday. We are staying home and not having any guests so it will be just another quiet day.

GG

Edited by - doll58maker on Aug 30 2014 11:21:01 AM
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2014 :  5:31:53 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

This is Friday night's post that would not post because we had nanosecond intermittent internet access.

We have a gravity fed spring to the house. There is no one living above our spring except the wild things. We have great water. There have been people around here who have gone other places trying to bring awareness to the need for clean drinking water. There is a controversy around here right now about the water source for Montpelier because it has been closed to public use for decades. The only people that could use Berlin Pond were the people who had property that abutted it. NOw the general public wants access to it for recreational purposes. The city of Montpelier has some sort of plant that treats the water from the pond before it goes to the general populace so the people who want access for boating and swimming advocate that their minimal use will not harm the supply.
I think out in the mid west the issue may be the removal of all the ground water by wells for irrigation.

I let dsG run the tractor and brush hog himself today. Yes, he is only 8 and can not reach the pedals. I had him in gear 1 with the speed set to slow. I could have walked faster than he was moving. He was tickled to be able to steer it himself. It was a flat open section that had no rocks. He practiced steering.

Isn't rhubarb a spring crop? I would not think to cut it this time of year. Maybe I really don't know what I am talking about. lol I think the syrup would be preferable to rhubarb pie.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499

Edited by - Tall Holly on Aug 30 2014 5:32:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2014 :  5:46:47 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

Today was a very lovely day here in the Green MOuntains. Temperatures were in the seventies with a nice breeze. In the morning I blocked up two trees we had in the front yard since spring. The town had cut them down and put them in our yard. Being my first day with the saw I did not cut all day long. I am achy even with Advil.

I can do pie crust most of the time. Sometimes it is heavy but no one in my house complains because they can not do any better.

GG after your class if you decide to keep bees I would reccommend the jacket with the zipped on hood. I have done the hats with the veils but it slipped around a lot and I was always worried the bees would walk up under the veil. I just bought a jacket with a zip on hood and it is comfortable and I do not have the worry about the bees crawling up my sleeves or into my collar. I hope keeping bees fascinates you. You are in a good part of the country for it. You might need to put out water in the really hot times.

I am not sure how serious C was when she said fertilized eggs were for meat meals and unfertilized for dairy meals. it did make for good conversation though. It does make sense as well.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2014 :  9:28:33 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the tip Holly. I think we have to have a suit by the second or third class we are to work directly with the hives. Sure don't want to get stung, I'm allergic and have to keep Benadryl with me all the time. I'm really excited to learn about the bees.

I remember the first time I got to actually steer the car. It's one of those life changing moments, like your first bra. You're a good mom.

GG

Edited by - doll58maker on Aug 31 2014 6:11:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2014 :  09:05:12 AM  Show Profile
GG I'm thinking B should be in charge of the bees and you in Charge of separating the honey and making candles.

Holly, I can't get over all the cool things you do with your kids. I love reading the stores about their adventures.

Last night with the doggies. I'm so ready for my own bed!! I almost have my sons quilt done. It will be in the mail to the quilter on Tuesday. When I get it back, I just have to do the binding and then I will take pictures. It looks perfect for him. Very manly. It is a very easy quilt pattern called "yellow brick road". It uses 9 fabrics and goes together really easy. Now I just need to make a few pillow cases to go with it.
My neighbor across the street learned I sew and has a recycling business. Someone threw out some perfectly good jeans so he asked me if I would hem them for him. He plowed our driveway this winter so I'm happy to be able to do something for him.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend.

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com
Handmade stuff http://www.curiousorangecat.etsy.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2014 :  8:12:23 PM  Show Profile
Well, I've written two posts and erased them because they sound so boring and whining.

Hope everyone is having a good day. Hope you are all done with your house/pet sitting Bunny, and back home with your sewing machine.

GG

Edited by - doll58maker on Aug 31 2014 10:34:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

atkinst2
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Theresa
Canal Winchester OH
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2014 :  06:02:05 AM  Show Profile
GG: I'm sure they were not as boring and whining as you thought.

This weekend has been a busy one for me. Spent Saturday with the byrdhaus canning beans for my daughter. She is disabled and every bit of help with food is always appreciated. When I told her what Patty and I did she was about in tears. Her little one loves green beans so that is a lot of money she won't have to spend on veggies.

I also finished some Christmas Presents. I made about 30 Microwave Bowl Cozies. I don't have any pictures yet but hope to get some yet today. I am also working on a match car mat for my sweet grandbaby. Hope to finish that today

My weekend disaster: I made a pineapple upside down cake in my cast iron skillet and don't know what I did wrong but it turned out AWFUL!!!!! DH said it still taste good and dared me to throw it away. Of course he is a sweet junkie. I just can't believe how bad it looks. I did use dark brown sugar instead of light because that is what I had and didn't want to go to the store for the other. Oh well, lesson learned.

Well, better get back to sewing. Ya'll have a great one!

Theresa

Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2014 :  06:48:51 AM  Show Profile
Good morning. What a cloudy overcast day here in Ohio. :( DH has left for a trip down to Cincinnati for the day. I will stay in today to can apples and attempt to clean house...if I don't get sidetracked by the polymer clay sitting on the dining room table, the yarn and knitting needles next to my recliner, or the book sitting there begging me to read. I will keep the washer and dryer running for awhile. :)

GG- We have bees coming this next spring. DH has never had bees and is pretty excited about it. I loved having bees when I was younger, however extracting the honey is a sticky, messy job. Not looking forward to that...lol. My father has always had beehives. Once while mowing he knocked a hive over with the mower. Once the bees settled my mom and I went out to set the hive back up. They were still mad as hornets and came out chasing us. We both ended up with our clothes stripped off by the time we got to the house trying to get the bees from out of our clothes. We did get the hive back together...lol. So many people here are losing their bees and it is quite an expensive endeavor. A friend of ours has had 3 unsuccessful attempts to start a hive. We have ordered a hive from a beekeeper that will have our hive established and we will just have to pick it up. I will also pick up one of my old hives from Illinois and clean it up and get it ready for a order of bees. I have always been leery of buying used hives for fear of a disease or virus being in the boxes. Though used bee equipment is hard to come by.

Holly- Rhubarb can be picked all season long.A couple of years ago, it even grew through the winter. (mild winter). I used to think the same thing (spring picking only) and I don't remember my mother's rhubarb lasting all year long. But mine has continued to sprout new leaves all year. I planted another plant a few days ago and I think I will put 2 or 3 more in before fall planting season is over. My mother always cut her rhubarb, however the neighbor told me that you just pull the stalk out. So maybe that has something to do with it producing more. <shrug>. No idea but I am still "pulling" rhubarb and my neighbor is as well. I am sure rhubarb is an acquired taste.

Theresa- I am glad your DD was thrilled about the green beans. We went out yesterday and were amazed how many grew overnight. I picked a bucket full again early this morning and sent them south with DH. DH's favorite cake is pineapple upside down, he would have been like your DH and eaten it anyway...lol

Bunny- Can't wait to see pictures of the "MAN" quilt. I can't imagine being gone from my bed as long as you have. My bed is probably my most prized possession...lol There is no place like home and your own bed. I am just glad you found an internet signal there!

Have a wonderful productive day everyone!

Patty #1840

http://ladygonegreen.blogspot.com/

A rind is a terrible thing to waste. Compost.

When they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, “Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted.”
-Jesus in John 6:12 NIV Bible

Edited by - thebyrdhaus on Sep 01 2014 06:51:51 AM
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2014 :  12:27:52 PM  Show Profile
Well, the highlight of my day yesterday was trying the Pinterest hint to shave your legs with olive oil. I did that along with a long hot bath to try to soak some of the aches and pains away. I'm out of Epsom salts and can not remember to get some. btw, the olive oil trick works like magic. I've been hurting so much at night and feeling such tiredness during the day that I was beginning to worry about fibro. I think it's just the hard work we are doing at our age. I have to remember many people my age are old or dead or near dying or in nursing homes. I can still run, lift and put in a days work. This morning we tackled the task of getting a huge heavy glass table top up on its pedestal. Neither of us was strong enough, it needed four people, but we finally managed to use a little ingenuity and get it done. I'm going to sleep at night, waking in an hour or so with all over body aches. The only thing that helps is a very hot bath. Sometimes I fall asleep in the tub. This has been going on for a few weeks now. I can not close my hands when I wake up in the morning. And they are really looking arthritic although B says I have the power of healing in my hands and he nearly always has a sore muscle so he will ask me to rub in some arnica cream. He needs the nurturing.
Anyway, we are working slowly but surely. The house will look pretty again after years of neglect.

I'm interested in hearing any and all experiences with bees. I know nothing. It really would be great if it turned out to be something we could both get interested in so it would be fun, not just more work. We are taking a class from a local beekeeper so we will learn what issues to expect pecular to this area. We have so many bees here that we are sure there are hives nearby. What we don't know is if they are crossbreed with the killer bees. These are all quite docile do I don't think so. There are times they will show up en masse and we have to go indoors. Not often.
Good grief, Patty. Are you ever going to run out of green beans. Seems you could feed the world. I'd like to know what you planted and any other info so I can try that in the spring. It's great that you and Theresa can get together. I'd love to meet some of the farm girls in person. Theresa, how great that you could help out your daughter.

I do think rhubarb is seasonal here. It's only available here in the markets during the spring. I don't know if I could grow it here or not.
Theresa, I think everybody has a cooking disaster occasionally but I'm in the camp that says as long as it's sweet, it can't be too bad.

We are taking the rest of this day off and vegging out. Only getting off the couch for food.

GG

Edited by - doll58maker on Sep 01 2014 12:34:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2014 :  3:20:29 PM  Show Profile
GG I'm with you on the resting up. I haven't had a decent nights sleep in ten nights. So glad to be home in my own bed. My kitties are missing me terribly.
Went over to a friends house and we attempted to make strawberry jam. Not sure if it is going to be jam or syrup. But it was fun. I haven't made jam in over 30 years. Actually, even longer than that. But it was fun.

The weather has finally cooled off below the nineties. I have my sons quilt top all ready to mail to the quilter tomorrow. Looking forward to getting back to my sewing room on a regular basis. So much to do!! I have quite a few new ideas to work on.

GG sorry about your hands. Getting old isn't much fun. But being active is a good thing! My mother just sits in her bed all day and either plays games on her tablet if watches tv. You will live a much fuller life for all that you do. I hope I can stay as active as I get older.

Marie...Mar...where are youuuuu. Hoping everyone is just resting up from the weekend.

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com
Handmade stuff http://www.curiousorangecat.etsy.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2014 :  5:05:02 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

Today was very humid. I dripped. You are right G that you can hurt and it is very frustrating but it is much better than the alternative. I am rarely stung by my bees. If I move slowly and methodically then the bees are not frightened and do not sting. I take my filled frames to a man here in town to spin out. I give him manure and he spins out my honey. I do not know how integrated the African bees are into the regional populations. We are so far north that we do not have a problem. But, some of the replacement bees are from the southeast and we have not seen an influx here. You will have a great time. Bee stings are good for arthritis.

How nice for Patty and Theresa to be able to put food by together. I am a bit jealous or the shared expertise. Looking good is not everything and the cake was probably very tasty. If it was too sweet a bit of ice cream could off set that.

I went to my 40th high school reunion. It was interesting. I went with a high school buddy I had not seen in 40 years. We were both happy to have each others company. My how people have changed. I did not recognize so many people especially the women who have cut their hair or have dyed it. I remember so many having beautiful long dark hair and now have ear length light blond. My buddy and I decided that despite our aches and loss of mind that we are better off than so many.

We celebrated DsT's birthday. He received his longed for PS2. He was happy. He turned 17.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2014 :  6:14:23 PM  Show Profile
We watched Rabbit Proof Fence on Netfljx while we were vegging out. It's the second time I've seen it but it still is heartbreaking. And still makes me angry to see how much suffering has been caused by "white man"-- not intended to be a political comment. Now I have Mary Janes shepherd s pie in the oven. It's her recipe of the week. I had 2 lbs ground lamb in the freezer. Last time I made Alton brown s version but used ground beef. It was delicious. After supper we are going to watch The Brave One with Jody Foster and Terrence Howard One of my favorite movies.

GG

Edited by - doll58maker on Sep 01 2014 6:18:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2014 :  9:46:21 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
GG
Brave of you to take the bee classes knowing you are allergic to them! I am too and have ended up in the ER several times. It' so important to increase the bee population. The benefit of honey is great too.

Bunny
My bread machine has a jam making cycle. It uses less sugar and it's easy and good. I've made strawberry, peach and mixed berry.

Holly
You are busy as ever. If you don't show and teach the kids how to do things how do they learn? Good for you! To many couch potatoes with their eyes glued to the tv or whatever tablet or phone is in their hands. Hard work and a good work ethic never killed anyone I know of!

Patty and Theresa
How nice to be able to help each other. A blessing for your daughter too! True farmgirl spirit! Those must be the jolly green giants beans!LOL!

Went to our son's for a picnic. Nice peaceful and calm but humid day. Can't stand the humidity. Bring on the fall and winter temps for me!

I should get to bed but I'm not tired yet. It's still so hot and humid. Have pickles to can tomorrow so I hope this humidity leaves or it will be horrible.

Be Blessed and Be a Blessing,
Darlene
Sister 1922

God first, everything else after!

When Satan's knocking at your door, just say "Jesus will you get that for me?"

When it gets to hard to stand, Kneel!

Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2014 :  08:08:30 AM  Show Profile
Theresa did you get the microwave cozies made? I don't know what they are and am looking forward to seeing the pics.

I noticed several of you are talking about the humidity and it is humid here too, whereas it is usually not. I think that is why I'm having such

Where is Marie? Do we need to get the posse ready for her and Mel? In fact, there are a bunch of farm girls on the MIA list

Have a glorious day, everyone.

GG

Edited by - doll58maker on Sep 15 2019 7:12:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

atkinst2
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Theresa
Canal Winchester OH
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2014 :  08:46:50 AM  Show Profile
GG, Yes I did. Here are the photo's

You put your bowl in and microwave it. That way when you take the bowl out it doesn't hurt your fingers. I'm planning on giving each recipient 2 to 4 bowl cozies each. I have chosen fabric that means something to each recipient.

Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2014 :  09:32:27 AM  Show Profile
Theresa, I love the bowl cozies. They are a great idea. We often burn our fingers taking out bowls that are much too hot.

Holly, congrats on making it to your reunion. I haven't made it to any of mine. We had 90 in our graduating class. I think I would recognize a lot of them, but not all. And I wonder who has done the GG-blonde choice! My bf in high school is Filipino and still has jet black hair! She is getting some grays, but not like me. It is always nice to come home happy where you are in life.

GG, I think it will be very interesting for you to raise the bees. And I think your aches and pains are due to the hard work. Especially if they tend to go away after you get up and get going a bit. That is how my mornings go. I have to fight the desire to just stay down, because I do feel better quicker if I grit my teeth and get up and do something. But, boy is it hard. Epsom salts are great for aches and pains. Just magic, don't you think? I like Tiger Balm, too. It does the heat/cool like ben gay, but not as drastic in my opinion and the smell is much nicer. My acupuncturist introduced me to it a long time ago.

Today we are traveling to St Helens, OR. Mt St Helens is north of us, but this town is south into Oregon. Dh wants to see something that he found on Craigs List. The chihuahua and I will tag along.

We had a nice long weekend with a visit from dd and boyfriend. Boyfriend had a birthday and asked for Scallopini for dinner. He and dh saw a movie and dd and I tinkered around the nearby stores. Time always goes so quickly...

Yesterday, we woke to the Century Link utility box that is usually on the road adjacent to our property strewn across the lawn right outside our gate. Someone coming home the night before apparently misjudged the turn. It looks like it would have left a mark on the car, so one of my neighbors may have committed a hit and run. Luckily for us, it did not interrupt our internet service and we don't have a landline or subscribe to their tv service... So it didn't disrupt our lives at all, except for the mess on the lawn. We had several neighbors stop to take a look at the carnage and discuss what might have happened.

Bunny, glad you made it back from the boonies!

Patty, how nice to share your gifts with Theresa and her dd.

mar
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2014 :  10:04:15 AM  Show Profile
Ladies,

I am here, just tired and ever so busy.

I spent all day Saturday at the Minnesota State Fair. I learned that this fair is known all over the world as a great place to go. There was record attendance on Saturday. I demonstrated how to make yarn from t-shirts. The crowd was awed by the technique I used to make the cuts so that it came out in one continuous strip and then pulled so that it would curl up. I was grateful for the tent out back with a frig full of cold drinks and a table of snacks. I didn't have any available funds so this was a blessing.

Sunday, I rested except for all the little things I had to do in the garden and the house. I was waiting for the neighbor to call me and let me know when she was ready for my help with a quilt she is making. On Monday I wanted to get so much done BUT Lowell decided to stay home instead of going out for breakfast so I had no time on the desktop. Then the neighbor called and I was over there helping with her quilt from late afternoon to almost 9 PM. I then came home and walked Mitzi. Before I got back in the house, an old friend who was visiting from Seattle called to say she was in town. We will be getting together this afternoon.

This morning, I had Lowell take me to the fair grounds to pick up the rest of my stuff. He went complaining about his life all the way. This is so tedious for someone who has so much to do and offer. I wish he would just stop making excuses about why he can't do anything and take some risks to find out where his passion is. He says he needs more interests than just playing music with others and playing chess with robots. I see possibilities for him. All he sees is reasons why he cannot pursue them.

I'll try to get responses tomorrow while I am at the game store waiting to punch those goblins.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2014 :  12:48:46 PM  Show Profile
Marie, it is hard for people to realize that they have a negative attitude, and do the work to become more positive. It seems you are trying to get Lowell to realize this. You may be a better influence on him than you realize.

I am not afraid of bees because I know they will not sting unless they feel threatened. I walk by swarms of them in the garden or yard often. Even brushing right up against the shrub or bush they are on doesn't seem to bother them. I think it's only when their hive is threatened. Because the bees here are so non aggressive I doubt the African killer bee is an issue, although I know it has been in years past.

Those microwave cozies are so pretty and what a practical idea! The fabrics you used are really pretty. I need to see about getting a pattern to make some of these for stocking stuffers.

Mar, I think B needs a male buddy to see movies with. The guys seem to like the "blood and gore" I call it.
I hope you are right about the pain due to work and not arthritis. Although I know I have it in my fingers and thumb joints and it is painful. I need to find one of those paraffin soak things. Heat seems to be the only thing that helps. I had forgotten about tiger balm, thanks for the reminder, I'll get some. Arnica does help too.

GG

Edited by - doll58maker on Sep 02 2014 12:54:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2014 :  1:22:43 PM  Show Profile
Good afternoon everyone,

We are hanging out and not moving much because of the humidity. I guess if I wanted to motivate myself to move I could but I don't. DsG and DsC made several poor choices this morning doing things that were not dangerous but forbidden never the less. Taking tools from the workroom, is the most upsetting. Not because they take them but because the do not put them back. My cordless drill has been missing for 6 weeks or so and I have not found where "not me" put it for safe keeping. So, I need to stay close to keep an eye on them. Life gets better each day with them but we always cycle back to needing to have eyes on supervision all the time for a while. at 8 and 9 yo I would like it to be less often.

I think the microwave cozies are clever. It would save the burnt fingers for sure.

Not being afraid of the bees is the best outlook. I think they can sense fear and then react.

Mar glad the car took out the box and not a corner of your house. It sure makes for conversation with the new neighbors though.
I am glad the bf had a good birthday with you.
I tell people I was a white blond as a child and I will be a white blond again........soon.

Maybe Lowell could have regular gigs at a nursing home or day care center playing his music? or give guitar lessons at the boys or girls club. Good for you Marie exchanging services for entrance fees to the fair. I like doing that sort of thing. I am glad you had a good time. Maybe if Lowell began to give to the community he would feel better about himself and it would be easier on you.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2014 :  1:34:44 PM  Show Profile