churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - May 25 2015 :  08:10:00 AM  Show Profile
A large number of crows is called a "murder". A large number of ravens is called an "unkindness."

http://baltimorebirdclub.org/gnlist.html

Roger's hearing aids are buzzing very loudly. I believe they are picking up signals from the various computers around here. He took them out and I turned the volume down and that solved the problem. He made cinnamon rolls for breakfast. I had a couple that weren't all the thoroughly cooked. I knew it and ate them anyway so no one else would. His housekeeper is here now doing a few chores. He is a very nice old guy. I look around here and I see that Lowell and Hayley will have a difficult time cleaning this place of all the collection of stuff he has. <sigh> Another job for me perhaps.

Lowell, Hayley and Roger are talking about the trust and Brian. I am staying out of it.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - May 25 2015 :  09:34:36 AM  Show Profile

Edited by - doll58maker on Sep 18 2019 7:44:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - May 25 2015 :  3:05:25 PM  Show Profile
Yay! You guys figured it out. It wasn't that hard, but I couldn't resist keeping you on your toes. And, I just think an unkindness is too cool. What may not be too cool is that there appears to be babies.......

G, I think your travel trailer would be such a welcome home to someone in a flooded situation. Aren't you proud you raised such a great daughter? Glad that there is good news as far as the lakes rising as needed.

Bunny, Now WHERE are you hanging mirrors, my dear? wink. I think putting most of your effort into larger sizes makes a great deal of sense. There is a great lack of individualism in clothing at the larger sizes.

Marie, keep your head low. You are smart to do your best to keep the peace among the family members.

Today is our mare's birthday. dnA (dear neighbor A) is beside herself with the preparation of a special dinner. I'm on my way out to help and rein in the madness!
Mar
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - May 25 2015 :  3:10:43 PM  Show Profile
Add to that list: a pandemonium of parrots. I'm currently reading a book called "The Birds of Pandemonium" about a couple in California who run a center for raising endangered birds and caring for birds that are injured, unwanted, etc. I knew about a murder of crows but I didn't know about an unkindness of ravens. I would have thought it would be a "Nevermore" of ravens.
As for the White House's snarky response--we all know those "scientific studies" are done by people who work for Monsanto and other corporate pirates. And NOBODY knows the long-term effects of eating GMO's. And those pesticides are NOT used all over the world--they're banned in most European countries, and for good reason. I think the bull**** that comes out of Washington is almost as bad for the environment as the bull**** that comes from the cattle factories. No, it's worse.
The flooding is terrible. At least here we usually get some warning. And I don't know why people build in flood plains-a "five-hundred year flood" doesn't mean that a flood like that occurs every five-hundred years. It means that in any given year, there's a one in five-hundred chance of a catastrophic flood occurring. Those aren't very good odds. I drove up the River Road yesterday and the river was choppy with waves but otherwise looked beautiful. People were out on their boats and jet-skis. On a sad note, I found out today that someone I knew from years back was killed while riding her bike on the bike trail that runs along the River Road. Hit by a truck. People know there's a trail--why can't they be more careful?
It's hot today. we did get a little rain yesterday. Hope the rains hold off in Oklahoma and Texas.
Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - May 25 2015 :  4:14:27 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

Today was overcast but it only sprinkled off and on. While I do enjoy the sunshine more than the clouds I was glad for the clouds because they give the brassica a chance to settle into their new ground without getting burned.

I am glad MIL enjoyed the narcissus. I am glad they were strong enough to flower in their first year. There is an elderly woman in town. I believe she is in her late 80s who tells stories about Grand mother Ladd and her flowers. So who knows how old the progenator of those bulbs would be.

Around here we believe that ravens are the messengers of the dead and that they come when someone who died is trying to send a message to a living person. So, Mar, who should you be listening too? or is it MIL who needs to listen to her dreams? We have huge ravens around here. I know they are scavengers and eat dead things I did not know they ate dog food. Take pictures they must be awesome.

I hope the rest of the people who live near the flooding get out of the area to someplace safe. It is so sad to lose a house but it can be replaced. When Hurricane Irene came through here many houses were lost. I think most of the people got out. I know that someone lost a herd of cattle. I hope they find that the people left to visit relatives and are alright. Good for your dd to help out. I hope she makes many new friends.

In India Monsanto and other large corporations have bankrupted the small farmers by selling them GMO grains and then not letting them use the seed from one year to plant for the next as they have done for centuries. The pesticides have polluted the ground water and people are sick. Some farmers are so upset about being failures that they commit suicide. It is not a good scene. The USA is not a good mentor for the developing countries.

Cindy you have lost many friends this year. Hugs to you.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - May 25 2015 :  4:21:18 PM  Show Profile

apple blossoms, we hope to have a good crop this year.

I think this is a female purple finch

blueberry blossoms are plentiful this year we hope for a bumper crop.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1401 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1401 Posts

Posted - May 25 2015 :  8:28:58 PM  Show Profile

Since my posting in early April, my high school crush has started talking about marriage. It seems like forever since I was pursued by a gentleman. It has been fun and very interesting. I'm flattered that we have been able to catch up on those years we missed. Let's see what happens after the first of 2016.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - May 25 2015 :  10:30:54 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations, betty. I hope you have found everything you have been missing. It is an exciting time for you.Will you be spending time together this summer?

You know we want all the details.
Best wishes, Marianne
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1401 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1401 Posts

Posted - May 26 2015 :  09:16:25 AM  Show Profile
Thank you marianne. There are a lot of things I have been missing, but most of all is companionship. He does provide that. We will spend some time together this summer and when he moves back in the winter we will be living together. That should answer a lot of questions we have about each other's temperaments. I'm looking forward to this time. Summer is so very busy for me with gardening, flowers, sewing, etc. He lounges around at his lake near Seattle.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - May 26 2015 :  6:22:43 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

I was thinking about you yesterday, Betty. I am glad to hear an update. It is nice that you can have happy jitters inside. I hope that you figure out what is best for you and go with it.

Today was supposed to be hot and muggy. It was hot in the sun and there was a stiff breeze so it was not intolerable. The breeze kept the black flies off. I think I did breathe one in and that was nasty as always.

I took the little boys out and had them plant their pumpkin plants. It was hard for them to dig the hole, fill it with manure and then carefully take the plant out of the existing pot and put it in the garden. They each started out with 7 plants and maybe we have 7 plants total in the ground. I told the littles whose plants broke that we could get more huge pumpkin seeds and plant them.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - May 26 2015 :  7:02:42 PM  Show Profile
Betty, I am happy for you, and so glad you checked in--I too had been wondering how you are doing.

Holly, as always, I love the pictures. How wonderful it must be to pick fresh apples right off the tree.

I guess I don't need to talk about my weather tonight, since it's been on the national news. I'm wondering how Mel is doing up in Dallas. I think they were supposed to get some of it today. All this rain has produced a bumper crop of mosquitoes. And terrible humidity which we don't usually have. None of my family or friends were harmed by any of these horrible storms.

Cindy,I'm am so sorry for the loss of your friend.

Mar, how was the birthday celebration with your little friend? I hope she had fun.

Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - May 26 2015 :  7:48:55 PM  Show Profile
Regarding the person who died in the biking accident--she wasn't an actual friend, just someone I knew when I was a member of a CSA. It just seems such a shame, she was trying to enjoy life and....you just never know.
I saw a friend of mine tonight that I hadn't seen in a while. Turns out she was in a car wreck back in March and totaled her car. I drove past the accident scene after it happened but the car was such a mess I didn't know it was her car. And her name wasn't in the paper (that I know of, I don't read the local gossip rag everyday) so this is the first I've heard about it. She's healing, but she's eighty-something and smokes like a chimney and the doctor told her to quit smoking so her foot and her hand will heal properly. Now, how can you tell an octogenarian who's been a smoker all her life, and had cancer three times, to give up smoking? Besides, she doesn't have a car now so she sits in her chair all day watching TV--as she put it, "What the hell else is there to do besides smoke?" At least she still has her attitude and that's a good thing. And she has family and church members who check on her and help her out. She'll live to be a hundred. and she's already looking for a new car. I can't imagine how much her insurance will be...
That flooding in Texas and Oklahoma is something else. A bad something else. I remember when it flooded real bad here a few years back, I was walking along the levee of a wide (very wide) creek and where the creek met the river, the water in the creek was flowing backwards cause the river was so full it kept pushing the creek water back. The creek was backed up almost for a quarter mile. It seemed strange to see water flowing backwards. It also seems strange to see sheds and telephone poles floating down the river when there's a bad flood. And trees--large trees. Floods can be of Biblical proportions at times, and that's what this flooding in Texas reminds me of. I have a friend at work who chalks it up to "the End Times". I dunno, I think we humans are affecting the climate of this planet in ways we can't even imagine. And ways we can, but won't don't anything about.
Something has been munching on my beans that are coming up so I'm going out tonight with a flashlight and try to apprehend the culprits. I hope it's not slugs--I hate slugs. So slimy. Ugh. I want to throw salt on them (it dries them out). Reminds me of the old SNL skit, Mr. Bill---"Oh, no, it's Sluggo!"
Poor Mr. Bill
Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - May 26 2015 :  8:04:21 PM  Show Profile
Goddesses of the Iris,

We had rain today so I did not get a picture of my irises. I was really busy this morning with a doctor appointment. While I was in downtown Minneapolis, I took some pictures of the atmosphere.

This is the IDS Tower shrouded in clouds.

The Minneapolis downtown UFO landing pad. (aka ATT Building)

The new (and expensive) Vikings stadium under construction.

Marie, Sister #5142

Edited by - churunga on May 26 2015 9:29:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - May 26 2015 :  8:45:37 PM  Show Profile

Edited by - doll58maker on Sep 18 2019 7:46:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1401 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1401 Posts

Posted - May 26 2015 :  8:52:53 PM  Show Profile
G, I think I was madly in love with high school sweetheart all those 56 years ago and didn't realize it until now. He says it is up to me if we should get married, but we could live together also. After three failed marriages, I am so unsure of myself. I don't want to make another mistake. Oh my, what to do?

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - May 26 2015 :  9:00:39 PM  Show Profile
Betty, I think you need to decide why you would get married as opposed to just living together. Look at it from all angles. Financially, security wise, spiritually...
There are good reasons for both marriage and living together. Do what your heart tells you to do, but maybe a pros and cons list might help too. Talk to your guy about your fears and work out the details of how things are going to go as far as property, finances, etc. it may help you make a decision after you talk to him.
Working out those details first will help so much. I wish I had done that with my second husband.
I'm sure you will do great what ever you decide.

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com
Handmade stuff http://www.curiousorangecat.etsy.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - May 26 2015 :  9:08:14 PM  Show Profile

Edited by - doll58maker on Sep 18 2019 7:46:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - May 26 2015 :  9:40:19 PM  Show Profile
Bunny,

After rereading what I wrote, I realized that the comment was not well-stated. I believe that the earth itself is an organic living being and all the plants and animals, including us, can sustain or ruin it. As of now, the human population is almost too large for the earth to manage. We plunder the body of the earth and leave our waste to pile up. The earth does what every other organism does to rid itself of an over abundance. I am not saying that anyone deserves to die. I am saying that living in certain places on this planet are more risky than others and we as thinkers and problem-solvers must take this into more consideration in the future. I have removed the comment and apologize for the misunderstanding.

In any case, expect the rain we are getting up here in Texas in about 4 days.

Marie, Sister #5142

Edited by - churunga on May 26 2015 9:40:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - May 26 2015 :  9:49:07 PM  Show Profile
Marie, that was GG that wrote that, not me.
I knew you meant no harm.

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com
Handmade stuff http://www.curiousorangecat.etsy.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - May 26 2015 :  9:59:37 PM  Show Profile
Man, I am losing it. LOL

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1401 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1401 Posts

Posted - May 27 2015 :  06:34:22 AM  Show Profile
G & Bunny, your concerns are absolutely spot on. We have talked about that. He leaves it totally up to me. He just wants us to be together. I'm totally for that. Time will tell. Thanks so much for your input.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - May 27 2015 :  3:49:45 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

We have been invited to the wedding of a friend who is in a similar situation to you Betty. I do not remember whether she was done two or three divorces. He high school sweetheart's wife died a couple of years ago. They are madly in love and somehow have finagled it so they will get married in the catholic church. HIs children were quite upset with him being involved with her not knowing the background story. they are taking the leap in July. Who knows how long they have left. They are both in their sixties and are happy. I hope they have many happy years together. I agree with whomever wrote make a list.

I moved brush and logs with dsT today. We are putting it into the pig pen to give them something to bother and eat. I figure if there are any slugs or bugs in the wood the pigs will find them.. A different but similar entertainment to putting polar bear food in ice chunks in tires.

I hope you all have a good memory for today.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - May 27 2015 :  4:21:18 PM  Show Profile
I think it matters little whether you choose to marry or not, Betty. I know there will be benefits to spouses if you do and that is no small thing. And why I think it should be available to everyone who chooses to wed. But, sometimes it makes more economical sense to not marry because you might lose some of your benefits from a previous spouse... I don't think you protect yourself emotionally by not marrying. I think a serious relationship hurts when it ends no matter what title it has. And I don't think you can protect yourself financially from someone who really wants to get to your money, married or not. But, I don't know these things to be fact. Just my ponderings. Everyone has to grab their happiness where they find it!

Holly, I think you provided the pigs with a lot of entertainment. I have been trying to take a GOOD photo of the ravens. Being completely black they look somewhat nondescript! But, dh and I are really enjoying watching them and learning their habits. They definitely have a family up in that nest. WAY up in that nest.

DNA (dear neighbor A) - I'm gonna stop typing that out soon - made a great birthday meal for Tahoe. It included a can of cranberry sauce, carrot shavings, romaine cores and candy canes. The cranberry made her white muzzle look pink -- the epitome of a pig with lipstick! It was fun. We look forward to seeing her about three or four times a week these days. But, she reminded me that summer vacation is coming...

mar
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1401 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1401 Posts

Posted - May 27 2015 :  8:35:49 PM  Show Profile
Marianne, thanks so much for your opinion. I treasure each and everyone's input. This idea of a long distance relationship is wearing on both of us since we are in our 70's. He constantly talks about us being together and I'm all for that. I never in my wildest dreams thought I would be this close to a man after 3 divorces. He had one wife for nearly 50 years--she passed from leukemia. I'm lonely (and I didn't know how lonely I was) and he is also lonely after that long a companionship. We want to spend as many years together as we have left and that could be considerable. He makes me happy and makes me laugh.

Financially I am okay and so is he. I do have that uneasiness with him wanting to spend on me, but could probably get used to it. He is a sweetheart.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - May 27 2015 :  8:47:24 PM  Show Profile
By all means, let him spend on you as long as he allows you to spend on him.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 408 Gathered Up: Previous Topic Over 50 Farmgirls Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page